Anet, Thank you for making me hate WvW.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Solion.9658

Solion.9658

I was.. I say WAS, looking forward to moving to WvW during our lull in new content. In the meantime I choose to try for and see if I could get world complete.

A little story about that. You see I set a goal for my character. With as little help as possible I would get the world complete on my own. As in all by myself. I know I know it seems silly , actually trying being proud that I completed Orr all on my own and every nook and cranny of the PVE experience and the surprises it held.

The surprise I was not ready for was the WVW part of it, I had played a bit in the beginning got quickly bored with the same ol Zerg , And I never felt right turning the random people it fell upon like a horde of army ants as.. well .. sporting. I loved big battles and 1 on 1’s But just mowing through people like an unstoppable wave of hate

Not my sort of fun.

I had heard a lot had changed and looked forward to seeing what the new WvW had to offer . But .. That world completion thing , you know the one where you have to clear all the WvW maps to be “worthy” Unfortunately unless you are in a Zerg you can fugging forget it.

In short.. my seething desire to just flip a fuggin table is at its highest right now. Exactly who on your team thought it would be a good idea to put vistas and poi’s INSIDE enemy fortresses, he must go home and kick kittens at night..

There is no way, none , unless you time the flip just right on the right days to get in without getting turned into a smear to get the completes over all the maps. its stupid and it kittenes me off. Having to rely on the army ant zerg to finish something I had done on my own up to that point is ridiculous

I would ask you to change it . but I think I have more luck winning the lottery tonight than it being changed.. But indeed I now hate WvW .. love the fact that the mists maps are not always available either ..

Im out. all that work and now it is going to take me weeks and luck and Zergs to someday get the complete.

Ill be hating every step of it

(edited by Solion.9658)

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

+1 for free legendary when you start the game

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

I know you won’t want to hear it, but you may have to wait until your server is a different color to easily cap those other points and Vistas. :/

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: Solion.9658

Solion.9658

Oh I know .. I know .. weeks , Ill have to get on website or two and set a freaking alarm so I can jump on when it is set to flip .. weeks …

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

takes a drink If you didn’t leave it for last, you wouldn’t have nearly the issue with it.

The only person with any right to gripe about this is someone on a server that never wins in WvW. In all other cases, you’re looking at this from the wrong perspective. Mapping anyplace in PvE is a job for an hour. Mapping in WvW is something you should PLAN on spending a few weeks on. Week to week, your server’s color and starting position should change. This will give you better access to different areas, often ones you couldn’t get into the week before.

The color your server is assigned is based on how well it did the previous week. So if your server always wins or always loses… well, you’re stuck if you can’t get a group to knock in doors with. Otherwise, go do something else until the weekend rolls through.

(edited by Sariel V.7024)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, it is possible to do it alone, as that is what I did. But, to be fair, I was in no rush and just happened to get all the necessary map parts by just exploring WvW.

I do understand other players’ concerns when they hope to get it done in a more timely manner, though.

Good luck at whatever you will pursue in the future.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I know you won’t want to hear it, but you may have to wait until your server is a different color to easily cap those other points and Vistas. :/

This is probably the most common response to these types of threads, sadly. My husband and I finally decided to finish our world completion several weeks back and we attempted this route. We waited. And we waited. And we waited some more. We finally shelled out 40$ to change servers. I got mine. My husband still needs 3 vistas and a poi in the red BL. Guess we twiddle our thumbs and wait some more. Really fun, no?

Honestly, they made this mistake in GW1 as well, in regards to cartographer titles. They really should not be pushing this type of pve aspect into a primarily pvp setting. Like JPs, it really just doesn’t belong there. I understand that they want people to try the mode, and that’s fine, but (in my experience) more often than not people have similar experiences to the OP. As such, they don’t want a kitten thing to do with the mode after they are done with their map completion, and have no desire to do another completion run either.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Its just like what, 3% of total world completion? Don’t save this as last bit but hop in every now and then to check if you can reach the missing pois/vistas etc.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Its just like what, 3% of total world completion? Don’t save this as last bit but hop in every now and then to check if you can reach the missing pois/vistas etc.

All well and good, except there are a lot of people that just don’t like pvp. So they avoid it. It’s not their mode, their play style, and there is nothing wrong with that. People, including Anet, need to respect that everyone plays differently.

Posted by: Tomas.5029

Tomas.5029

I have 100% world completion on 3 characters, and i never really thought like the WvW is difficult, or whatever. I never mobilized anyone to help me with it, i simply took my time.
But, i do agree that WvW should not count for World completion as it’s simply not a part of the world. It’s in the mists.

So that would be my advice – simply take your time with it. Each day try to get 2-3 pois or vistas, and sooner or later it will add up to 100% completion. If your server owns a specific color, make it your duty to complete it before the reset. Simply hop in, check the map out, and grab what you can every few hours. Then go over to other borderlands, and grab the two vistas and one skill point located in the south. Then, if you can get more, do push north. If you can’t, simply get busy with something else, and wait for a switch of colors.

—Engi main tryhards unite!—

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

All well and good, except there are a lot of people that just don’t like pvp. So they avoid it. It’s not their mode, their play style, and there is nothing wrong with that. People, including Anet, need to respect that everyone plays differently.

Yeah because everyone looooves doing map completion.

/sarcasm

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

Posted by: ToT.7018

ToT.7018

I learnt the hard way to on first character, i left WvW til last took me 9 weeks to get last poi as we were never blue.
I always do WvW first now on alts just to avoid this happening again.
And if your are doing map completion to make a legendary Solion, you also need 500 badges of honour from WvW to.

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

I think people are kitten because… WvWers and PvPers also need to explore PvE if they want a legendary.
But exploring 4 maps in wvw is now insane. Right? Right?

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

The idea of WvW map completion was to have players drawn to WvW.

It’s not having that effect.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: sunset.3056

sunset.3056

Lol, I love pvp, WvW is god alwful. It’s not just people who do world bosses all day that have this problem, sPvPers do too.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

takes a drink If you didn’t leave it for last, you wouldn’t have nearly the issue with it.

The only person with any right to gripe about this is someone on a server that never wins in WvW. In all other cases, you’re looking at this from the wrong perspective. Mapping anyplace in PvE is a job for an hour. Mapping in WvW is something you should PLAN on spending a few weeks on. Week to week, your server’s color and starting position should change. This will give you better access to different areas, often ones you couldn’t get into the week before.

The color your server is assigned is based on how well it did the previous week. So if you’r server always wins or always loses… well, you’re stuck if you can’t get a group to knock in doors with. Otherwise, go do something else until the weekend rolls through.

Good advice except for the part about needing to be on a winning server

Reset night is a good night to play WvW for map completion since there is a lot of "flipping* going on back and forth, supply is very limited then since it hasn’t had a chance to build up and you’ll even see keeps changing hands many times over the course of a few hours until servers have a chance to build up defenses.

Also, do not limit yourself to your server’s “third” of EBG – there is always a tug and pull for the towers and camps along the edges with big “pushes” for more strategic locations as your server builds up resources.

I’m thinking of writing a guide on WvW map completion for the uninitiated since there is a lot of misconceptions floating about. I’ll put something up later this week.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

What they should’ve done is made WvW map completion and PvE map completion separate, with each giving a Gift of Exploration. This way PvE’rs don’t have to deal with WvW, nor would WvW’ers have to fill up the entire map of Tyria as well.

I sympathize with the topic poster, as way back before I had ever completed the map, I wanted to do it just because I felt like having a full map and feeling like I accomplished something. Oh the frustration when I discovered that it just had to include WvW as well.

Now I’m told that this is a way to entice people to WvW, and that they may like it afterwards. In my case (and the topic creator’s as well), it couldn’t have backfired harder.

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Oh I know .. I know .. weeks , Ill have to get on website or two and set a freaking alarm so I can jump on when it is set to flip .. weeks …

Patience young one. This is a very easily obtained achievement, but it does take a little time. Waiting a few weeks to get in there the easy way is not hard nor is it a bad thing in my opinion. If you want to get in there sooner, well the whole idea of WvW is cooperation.

So, easy way is simply wait and check at least once a week (hit the “B” button) and you can have it with no effort.

Little harder, but faster way is to find a cooperative group to force their way into the points you need.

I read your complaint and all I hear is “I want it now and don’t want to have to wait!” I hear the same thing every day from my 4 year old son.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I think people are kitten because… WvWers and PvPers also need to explore PvE if they want a legendary.

My point (and I’ve stated this in other threads) was that they should not have to, though. If you are a single mode player, there should be a ‘core’ set of items (including mode specific legendaries) that you can achieve just be playing your mode. You should not have to venture into other modes, unless you choose to, and then they could have some mode specific rewards (cosmetically based) to use an enticement. I had a very long post in the wvw forums regarding this topic several weeks back. I think such an implementation would make a lot of people happy. You’d have the pve primaries not invading wvw for map completion. You’d have wvwers not complaining about having to play boring pve. Pvp players wouldnt grouse about having to map or run dungeons. Unless they opted to go for some mode specific cosmetics. Which is on them. While it’s true that going for a legendary is ‘optional,’ let’s face it that they aren’t truly ‘just costmetic.’ They offer features you can’t get elsewhere. Also, that’s not the only reason people do map completion.

Invictus.1503

My point (and I’ve stated this in other threads) was that they should not have to, though. If you are a single mode player, there should be a ‘core’ set of items (including mode specific legendaries) that you can achieve just be playing your mode.

There is an option like that. Buy the legendary with gold you accumulate by playing purely your preferred mode. I know you may not like this option, but it is still an option that meets your stated requirement.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

My point (and I’ve stated this in other threads) was that they should not have to, though. If you are a single mode player, there should be a ‘core’ set of items (including mode specific legendaries) that you can achieve just be playing your mode.

There is an option like that. Buy the legendary with gold you accumulate by playing purely your preferred mode. I know you may not like this option, but it is still an option that meets your stated requirement.

Ah yes…. that is an option to, but I’ll refrain from getting into my opinion on that. “Throw money at it” seems to be everyone’s answer these days…

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

You don’t have to go into World vs World. You don’t have to get map completion. You don’t have to get a Legendary.

If you don’t like the requirements for obtaining an item, perhaps you shouldn’t get the item?

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

LanfearShadowflame.3189

You don’t have to go into World vs World. You don’t have to get map completion. You don’t have to get a Legendary.

If you don’t like the requirements for obtaining an item, perhaps you shouldn’t get the item?

And if you want dungeon armor/gift/weapons and don’t want to do the actual dungeon runs, you can just pvp your way through it via the pvp title tracks. Wvw doesn’t have that option. They either have to go to pvp or they have to go to pve.

Double standard, no?

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Patience young one. This is a very easily obtained achievement, but it does take a little time. Waiting a few weeks to get in there the easy way is not hard nor is it a bad thing in my opinion. If you want to get in there sooner, well the whole idea of WvW is cooperation.

So, easy way is simply wait and check at least once a week (hit the “B” button) and you can have it with no effort.

If he ends up on the color he needs. If not, have fun waiting longer, since you can’t get a bunch of them by yourself.

Little harder, but faster way is to find a cooperative group to force their way into the points you need.

I read your complaint and all I hear is “I want it now and don’t want to have to wait!” I hear the same thing every day from my 4 year old son.

And, as someone who’s tried asking for help in map/team chat in the past to get POIs in forts, I can say that you’re lucky if you even get a response, let alone someone telling you to just get in a zerg and hope they go where you need to go and such nonsense.

And, who can blame them for not wanting to wait? Sooner it’s done, the faster they can be done with that sad excuse of a mode.

timmyf.1490

And if you want dungeon armor/gift/weapons and don’t want to do the actual dungeon runs, you can just pvp your way through it via the pvp title tracks. Wvw doesn’t have that option. They either have to go to pvp or they have to go to pve.

Double standard, no?

It’s not because you can buy the Legendary outright with gold. So there’s still an alternate acquisition method.

Posted by: LeCreaux.3087

LeCreaux.3087

I’ve got 100% complete on one character and working on getting it on a second character. While the PvE parts require dedication the WvW parts often require suicide missions to reach. Consider it an achievement to reach that vista and trigger it before you get dogpiled.

For the exploration parts of WvW I recommend using a spec built around speed and CC breaks. For the areas inside keeps you have to keep an eye on all four maps and go to the one where the goal is at least reachable.

Your character is anonymous to the enemy so you don’t lose any “cool points” in WvW. I don’t know about that “worthy” comment…I have a bunch of level 80s and I only have the little star next to one of them. At least I think it only shows up on the one with the achievement. Either way, I wouldn’t think it’s a big deal to many players.

Posted by: Togashi Jack.9531

Togashi Jack.9531

WvW map completion takes patience. Every week you’re going to get 1 of the 3 colours. Every now and again you’re likely to rotate through those colours, it can be a matter of time waiting until then. When you’re Blue for instance, go to the blue borderlands and cap every PoI and Vista that’s hidden safely behind walls – do the same for the Blue areas of EB. Wait until you’re Green and Red to do the same. It can be a lot of waiting, but its the easiest way to do it.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

You dont hate WVW.

you just hate the fact that it is standing in the way of your legendary.

Added difficulty, woo!

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Double standard, no?

It’s not because you can buy the Legendary outright with gold. So there’s still an alternate acquisition method.

I’m discussing a broader topic here. Not specifically legendaries. Yes, you can CC a kitten legendary if you so choose (not that you should be able to, but you can). Let’s ignore legendaries for the time being, they tend to blind people to broader scope of the topic here, so ignore that component for the time being.

If you want a wvw title…. you go to wvw.
If you want a pvp title…you go to pvp.
Yet for a very specific pve title, you don’t just go to pve. It’s a double standard. (They did this in GW1 as well, and trying to get JQ once upon a time was almost impossible unless you were well connected.)
There exists no title in either other mode that requires you to leave your chosen mode. (Legendaries not withstanding, but we’re still ignoring this component)

For dungeon skins, you have to either run the pve dungeon or do the pvp title track
Wvwers get the short end of the stick, their mode has no equivalent.

They have some of the structure to set up mode specific systems. They need to finish following through, so that each mode is on the same even footing. Thus the overall point of my argument. I think it would make a lot of people much more content.

timmyf.1490

The title “Been There. Done That.” indicates that you have been completed all POIs, Vistas, Waypoints, Hearts, and Skill Points in the game. Including WvW.

It’s not a PvE Title just because you say it’s a PvE Title.

Invictus.1503

Ah yes…. that is an option to, but I’ll refrain from getting into my opinion on that. “Throw money at it” seems to be everyone’s answer these days…

You can get it without using any real money if that is what you are implying. If you use gold earned in game to get the legendary, frankly how is that any different than doing it through building the components. Either way you have invested a good deal of in-game time to earn the necessary components to get the legendary.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

The title “Been There. Done That.” indicates that you have been completed all POIs, Vistas, Waypoints, Hearts, and Skill Points in the game. Including WvW.

Except that it doesn’t imply that at all. There exist pois and waypoints in the game (even before Dry top) that are not required for world completion.

So…dungeons aren’t part of the world?
Heart of the Mists isn’t part of the world
Structured pvp isn’t part of the world
Hall of Monuments isn’t part of the world
Yes wvw is? Come now, there is absolutely no logic here.

Check where that title falls in the achievements. This has always been under ‘Hero’ which is firmly ensconced under ‘pve’ achievements. Not competitive. This would generally imply that it is indeed a “pve” title.

You can get it without using any real money if that is what you are implying. If you use gold earned in game to get the legendary, frankly how is that any different than doing it through building the components. Either way you have invested a good deal of in-game time to earn the necessary components to get the legendary.

I was using the phrase figuratively. Whether you use in game gold or real world cash→game gold, it’s the same general idea.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Check where that title falls in the achievements. This has always been under ‘Hero’ which is firmly ensconced under ‘pve’ achievements. Not competitive. This would generally imply that it is indeed a “pve” title.

Hero is not a specifically PvE title area. It is under “General”. Meaning general – not necessarily specific. Hero includes things like Emergency Response Hero (participate in events – can be done in WvW), Skillful (earn skill points – can be done in WvW, or with PvP title tracks), Lifetime Survivor (get 500k xp without dying – can be done in WvW), and Birthdays (doesn’t even matter how you play. Or if you play at all).

Like it or not, Been There Done That is not a pve achievement.

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

Would you like some cheese with your whine?
Learn some patience and eventually you’ll get it. It’s allready way easier than it used to be. Every week colour has chance to change and you can get some easy unlocks. Every single person with 100% world completition did it.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Hero is not a specifically PvE title area. It is under “General”. Meaning general – not necessarily specific. Hero includes things like Emergency Response Hero (participate in events – can be done in WvW), Skillful (earn skill points – can be done in WvW, or with PvP title tracks), Lifetime Survivor (get 500k xp without dying – can be done in WvW), and Birthdays (doesn’t even matter how you play. Or if you play at all).

By that standard there are no ‘pve’ achievements, just because they ‘can’ be done elsewhere. Those wvwers, real big on events after all. Not.

“Hero is an achievement category for achievements earned advancing in your personal story, completing quests, learning skills, and gaining experience without dying.”

It really doesn’t get any more basic pve than that. Honestly. Take a look at the things contained under it. Personal story steps. Dungeons. Renown hearts… Not pvp things.
Yes, WvW contains events, but that is the ‘e’ aspect of the pvpve mode, and they still only pertain to the pvp function of the mode. If they disappeared tomorrow, the vast majority would likely neither notice, nor care.

timmyf.1490

In the end, what you’re saying is “This thing I don’t like should work the way that I like, not the way it actually works, because reasons which are debateable at best and mostly just further indication I don’t like it.”

You’re ABSOLUTELY welcome to not like it and think it should be changed, but pretending it’s because Long List of Marginal Reasons (e.g. it’s a PvE achievement!) is pointless.

You, and others, wish you could get map completion without doing WvW because you don’t like WvW. That’s fine. Stop pretending that it’s some sort of crime and just be straight about your dislike of WvW.

Olvendred.3027

By that standard there are no ‘pve’ achievements, just because they ‘can’ be done elsewhere. Those wvwers, real big on events after all. Not.

“Hero is an achievement category for achievements earned advancing in your personal story, completing quests, learning skills, and gaining experience without dying.”

It really doesn’t get any more basic pve than that. Honestly. Take a look at the things contained under it. Personal story steps. Dungeons. Renown hearts… Not pvp things.
Yes, WvW contains events, but that is the ‘e’ aspect of the pvpve mode, and they still only pertain to the pvp function of the mode. If they disappeared tomorrow, the vast majority would likely neither notice, nor care.

Ignoring all the hyperbole…

I never said it didn’t include PvE. I said it was General. “With the potential to include multiple areas of the game.”

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

If I had to list the top 5 topics that keep reappearing in the forums, I’d say this topic of whether WvW should be part of world completion or not would be in that list somewhere.

My own two cents: I think it is a poor setup and I wish WvW wasn’t part of world completion. There could have been better ways to incent people to give WvW a try. I’ve done world completion on three characters so I know it is possible – but that doesn’t mean I think it was an optimal implementation.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

In the end, what you’re saying is “This thing I don’t like should work the way that I like, not the way it actually works, because reasons which are debateable at best and mostly just further indication I don’t like it.”

You’re ABSOLUTELY welcome to not like it and think it should be changed, but pretending it’s because Long List of Marginal Reasons (e.g. it’s a PvE achievement!) is pointless.

You, and others, wish you could get map completion without doing WvW because you don’t like WvW. That’s fine. Stop pretending that it’s some sort of crime and just be straight about your dislike of WvW.

I don’t have an issue with WvW actually. I play it casually with a guildie or two. I do have my world completion on one character, and will eventually do it on others. So don’t assume I hate the mode, or I don’t want to do it, etc.

However, I can completely understand the other side that people are addressing, or trying to address here. The desire to be able to achieve certain things via their chosen mode, and this isn’t just for pve. It goes for wvw and pvp as well. I understand pve players that don’t like pvp / wvw. I understand wvw players that don’t like pvp and/or pve. I understand pvp players that don’t like pve. Its not necessarily what they came here to do, yet feel forced to for x,y,z reason. The whole “it’s completely optional” is sort of moot, as others have pointed out time and again in other threads. Optional or not does not help people feel less forced, or less like they are being made to play a certain way. It also doesn’t clear up the double standards that have been introduced over time.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I never said it didn’t include PvE. I said it was General. “With the potential to include multiple areas of the game.”

And I didn’t say that you didn’t. I stated that by the standard you set forth, there was then no such thing as a “pve” achievement. Which is blatantly untrue.

timmyf.1490

Optional or not does not help people feel less forced, or less like they are being made to play a certain way.

Read this again.

This is the fundamental problem with so many unhappy gamers. “I have self-imposed rules which I must follow and their interaction with this game creates a situation I dislike.”

It’s just another facet of Scrub-ism.

Posted by: aerial.7021

aerial.7021

This is probably the most common response to these types of threads, sadly. My husband and I finally decided to finish our world completion several weeks back and we attempted this route. We waited. And we waited. And we waited some more. We finally shelled out 40$ to change servers. I got mine. My husband still needs 3 vistas and a poi in the red BL. Guess we twiddle our thumbs and wait some more. Really fun, no?

Honestly, they made this mistake in GW1 as well, in regards to cartographer titles. They really should not be pushing this type of pve aspect into a primarily pvp setting. Like JPs, it really just doesn’t belong there. I understand that they want people to try the mode, and that’s fine, but (in my experience) more often than not people have similar experiences to the OP. As such, they don’t want a kitten thing to do with the mode after they are done with their map completion, and have no desire to do another completion run either.

Guild Wars 1; Well that’s not completely true, nothing was “locked” behind anything the system was aggravating at times because you just had to defog an area and it was hard to see if you’d been somewhere or not, the PvP maps where not included in that 100% completion either it was just the world maps, (grits teeth, holds back some seething flames) — “how it was supposed to be!”, the only parts that ring a bell for defogging PvP was inactive areas where battles did not take place.

However it was a long time ago I did that, and if we did have to do the PvP maps as well it must have been extremely easy because I don’t even remember doing it.

Server: Gate of Madness

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Good advice except for the part about needing to be on a winning server

Reset night is a good night to play WvW for map completion since there is a lot of "flipping* going on back and forth, supply is very limited then since it hasn’t had a chance to build up and you’ll even see keeps changing hands many times over the course of a few hours until servers have a chance to build up defenses.

Also, do not limit yourself to your server’s “third” of EBG – there is always a tug and pull for the towers and camps along the edges with big “pushes” for more strategic locations as your server builds up resources.

I’m thinking of writing a guide on WvW map completion for the uninitiated since there is a lot of misconceptions floating about. I’ll put something up later this week.

You missed my meaning, I think. Someone who is on a server that never wins (like the last place server, I don’t know its name) is going to be confined to the same area of the map every week. That’ll make it much more difficult to get into objectives at the far side of the map, not only because they’re on a weaker team but they have to penetrate farther into enemy territory..

Posted by: aerial.7021

aerial.7021

If I had to list the top 5 topics that keep reappearing in the forums, I’d say this topic of whether WvW should be part of world completion or not would be in that list somewhere.

My own two cents: I think it is a poor setup and I wish WvW wasn’t part of world completion. There could have been better ways to incent people to give WvW a try. I’ve done world completion on three characters so I know it is possible – but that doesn’t mean I think it was an optimal implementation.

As someone pointed out in the previous thread it even breaks lore, WvW is not part of the world at all its in the mists.

Server: Gate of Madness

timmyf.1490

Sariel, thanks to Glicko randomization, that’s not strictly true. There will certainly be periods of weeks at a time that the server doesn’t change colors, but patience and persistence will pay off, even on the last-ranked server.

Edit: if you want to see this for last-place NA, Anvil Rock: http://mos.millenium.org/servers/history/47

I’ll post their color week-by-week starting now and going backward…

Red, Blue, Blue, Blue, Red, Green, Green, Blue, Blue, Red, Red, Blue, Blue, Green, Red…

There’s a substantial amount of bounce there, so it’s really just a matter of keeping your eyes on the map and allowing yourself a month or two in order to get everything.

(edited by timmyf.1490)

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Optional or not does not help people feel less forced, or less like they are being made to play a certain way.

Read this again.

This is the fundamental problem with so many unhappy gamers. “I have self-imposed rules which I must follow and their interaction with this game creates a situation I dislike.”

Congratulations on being a kitten.

But I’ll stop trying to explain, you simply just don’t want to get it. Players feeling forced to play a specific way is not a new issue, in fact it goes all the way back to …well…when they dropped ascended into the game. There’s a big difference between what you’re talking about, and what I’m trying to explain.

Olvendred.3027

And I didn’t say that you didn’t. I stated that by the standard you set forth, there was then no such thing as a “pve” achievement. Which is blatantly untrue.

My “standard” where if an achievement can be done in multiple areas of the game, it’s not specific to only one of them? In no way does that preclude pve-specific achievements. Please try and make some sense.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Guild Wars 1; Well that’s not completely true, nothing was “locked” behind anything the system was aggravating at times because you just had to defog an area and it was hard to see if you’d been somewhere or not, the PvP maps where not included in that 100% completion either it was just the world maps, (grits teeth, holds back some seething flames) — “how it was supposed to be!”, the only parts that ring a bell for defogging PvP was inactive areas where battles did not take place.

However it was a long time ago I did that, and if we did have to do the PvP maps as well it must have been extremely easy because I don’t even remember doing it.

You needed to map both Jade Quarry and Fort Aspenwood – both Kurzick and Luxon sides – for Canthan Cartographer. 2 8v8 random pvp arenas.

Before the JQ revamp, JQ was pretty much always dead. You could not get 15 other people (typically) to come help you generate a match so that you could run around an scrape the edges. There were a number of times I stood in FA waiting for a match and people popped in asking for help.

This was what I was referring to. No, RA TA HOH AB were not included. But that wasn’t what I was talking about.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

timmyf.1490

Read this again.

Congratulations on being a kitten.

But I’ll stop trying to explain, you simply just don’t want to get it. Players feeling forced to play a specific way is not a new issue, in fact it goes all the way back to …well…when they dropped ascended into the game. There’s a big difference between what you’re talking about, and what I’m trying to explain.

It’s not that I don’t want to get it. I just disagree with you. I don’t think even the addition of Ascended gear (which I think was a horrible mistake) counts. YOU DO NOT NEED ASCENDED GEAR.

If you, individually, as a player, make the decision to acquire a title, piece of gear, achievement, etc, you cannot then claim ArenaNet is “forcing” you to play a certain way. You CHOSE to take that task typically with the full understanding of what it requires.

You can say “the reward is not worth the effort.” You can say “I don’t think this skin/title/chivo should require X.” You can say “I dislike content X.” You CANNOT SAY you were FORCED to do it.

(For my part, the WvW doesn’t bother me, but I HAAAAAATE Hearts and will likely never do world completion on another character. But I CANNOT SAY ARENANET FORCES ME TO DO HEARTS.)

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

You’re mad at Anet for something that you intrinsically assigned value to?