Anet is out of touch

Anet is out of touch

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

That said, stuff like first person view and wider field of vision, aren’t in the game. They haven’t been in the game since launch. No one from Anet has ever implied they’re coming.

But they were in the beta, and to my knowledge, Anet has never been able to articulate a good (i.e. not self-contradictory, like the reasoning we just saw) reason why they didn’t make it from the beta to release in some form or another, even if it’s a limited form. It’s not a matter of people asking for features like this to be created out of the blue; the features exist, they just aren’t being used.

When they are willing to give answers so embarrassingly bad that they literally contradict themselves, I can only imagine that means that the truth is even more embarrassing, something like, “oops, we accidentally fired all the coders who understood this feature, and now we have no one capable of altering it and no budget to hire anyone else.” I completely understand why someone would rather make nonsensical statements than admit the truth if it’s anything like I imagine it to be.

They’re not in the game because a decent percentage of the player base would lock themselves into first person view, be unable to play the game, assume the game sucks and leaves. Which is good for no one. Even people who want it.

The ability to “lock themselves into first person view” would indeed be a silly feature. That is not the feature that is under discussion. It sounds like what people mostly care about is not having a semitransparent head filling your camera at maximum zoom, so that it’s possible to do things like look closely at art, examine another player’s outfit, see what’s ahead of you in a tightly confined space, or take an unobstructed screenshot. I don’t think a “lock me in first person view” setting would help with any of that.

People will scroll their mouse, but in that view, suck at the game and leave. You overestimate people. Most of this game wouldn’t really be playable in first person. It would be most useful for screen shots.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

I think what really helps is that when you read something that makes you ask yourself, “Are people really THAT stupid?”

Remind yourself of this answer.

“Yes. Yes they are.”

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Fans: Anet never communicates with us.
Anet: Says stuff fans don’t want to hear.
Fans: Why even bother answering the interview.

Give me a break.

Well there’s saying stuff people don’t want to hear and then there’s skirting around questions with answers that sound like they’re coming from overworked, shy developers who really aren’t comfortable talking publicly about their work, much less figuring out what can and can’t be said in the process.

I have seen people articulate “no’s” infinitely better than that interview.

Or words to that effect.

Anet is out of touch

Vayne.8563

Okay reality check. The people answering this interview are the end game guy and a WvW guy. They probably expected the interview to be about that.

These are the wrong guys for these specific questions. They might not even HAVE the answers and they tried to answer as best they could.

Anet is out of touch

Labjax.2465

Okay reality check. The people answering this interview are the end game guy and a WvW guy. They probably expected the interview to be about that.

These are the wrong guys for these specific questions. They might not even HAVE the answers and they tried to answer as best they could.

Well right. That’s my point. The whole interview screams, “We are way out of our comfort zone here. Halp.”

Or words to that effect.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

I have to agree about the FoV. It’s the worst in any modern MMO I’ve seen. I don’t see how increasing the FoV gives players an unfair advantage, against whom? If all players have the same there is no advantage. Fighting in PvP and not being able to see what you are doing because of the terrain/structures is crazy. Look at swtor PvP, you can zoom out pretty far and it doesn’t cause a problem. My best guess is that increasing the zoom out means that players may not be able to see all their lovely armour up close, and that might mean people spending less money in the gem store for comestics in general.

Anet is out of touch

chemiclord.3978

Well right. That’s my point. The whole interview screams, “We are way out of our comfort zone here. Halp.”

And don’t you think that’s a little unfair then? That’d be like cornering the Chairman of Commerce and then causing a minor riot when he wouldn’t give you the answers you wanted about Water Quality Control.

I mean, I get the initial surge of disbelief. It was a VERY bad, awkward interview, and it featured a lot of really disjointed answers, highlighting one massively huge weakness at Arena.net (PR and communication). But at the end of the day, it was one bad interview with a guy that was out of the element he was being asked about.

The sky ISN’T falling. It’s okay… at least on this score.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: saventis.1485

saventis.1485

And don’t you think that’s a little unfair then? That’d be like cornering the Chairman of Commerce and then causing a minor riot when he wouldn’t give you the answers you wanted about Water Quality Control.

I mean, I get the initial surge of disbelief. It was a VERY bad, awkward interview, and it featured a lot of really disjointed answers, highlighting one massively huge weakness at Arena.net (PR and communication). But at the end of the day, it was one bad interview with a guy that was out of the element he was being asked about.

The sky ISN’T falling. It’s okay… at least on this score.

I was under the impression that they had an actual comunity/pr team dedicated to answering questions and stuff

Could be wring but I swear I remember seeing them In some earlier interviews and forum posts

Why not send these people?

Or perhaps request the questions beforehand… but I suppose hindsight is 20/20

Anet is out of touch

Labjax.2465

Yeah, that’s the thing. I don’t think it’s fair at all to those particular employees. But for Anet to make an oversight like this in communication reflects poorly on the operation of the company, not those two employees (especially considering Anet’s apparent trend with communication).

And I think the criticism of the company itself and the answers that were given is warranted – I don’t think the sky is falling or that it’s the fault of those two employees, but poor communication is poor communication, regardless of the cause.

Or words to that effect.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

I don’t think that the Guild Mag interview suggests that ArenaNet is out of touch with their players. I think what the OP goes on to describe and being out of touch are two different things. The level of discussion and variety of opinions I’ve read in the forums suggests that Guild Wars 2 has a healthy variety of players who all want disparate things. And based on changes that have been implemented in the game already, the devs are listening to what people are asking for. For the things that don’t happen, they can give the reasons they are able to give, not the ones they can’t. As far as track records go, I’ve still seen more forum posters approach their pet projects with a myopic sense of self importance in a diverse community than I have seen the Devs shatter hopes and dreams with talk of finality in their plans.

Still, I couldn’t help but laugh during a lot of points in the interview. I read some of the reaction before I saw the interview and what I heard from the devs was indeed a lot of boiler plate “We aren’t prepared to talk about this yet.” Anet’s stance on openness in game development didn’t magically change overnight for that interview. Really, I’m as lost as everyone else as to why it was held. They….should have planned better to talk about things that they couldn’t talk about. The questioner even said they couldn’t comment on an expansion ahead of time. So, something was screened ahead of time. That should have been how they handled all the other questions as well honestly so they could handle questions that they could answer. I can tell from the feedback what some players were expecting but we just can’t press them to release information they weren’t planning to release on their own schedule already.

Going forward, are we saying that we want Anet to talk about plans that aren’t final and may change in interviews? Cause this is pretty much what they did in this interview. Or only talk about things that are definitely going to happen? Cause that approach caused players to say that they aren’t talking about anything. What do we expect from these types of interviews? Is it realistic to keep asking them about whether or not there’s going to be an expansion? Will they answer that before they are ready to? If we believe they are out of touch, and this interview is some sort of indication of such, be direct about what you are looking for. Let them know exactly what it is you want from this sort of communication. Where do you want the lines drawn?

Anet is out of touch

chemiclord.3978

Oh, the PR and communication of Arena.net is TERRIBLE. That is hardly breaking news, and while I don’t think it’s fatal flaw to the company (at the end of the day, the game and the revenue it generates trumps all else), that horrible public front doesn’t exactly help rouse the masses in delight.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

You want to know how out of touch they really are?

GuildMag: Similarly, some people are wondering what your stance is about adding a first-person view?

Matt Wuerffel: I think it falls into the realm of, you know, that is not something that we would rule out, we do play around a lot with different camera views and controls and I think even in the betas you’ve seen… like, some people found out ‘oh man, there is like, kind of an eagle view, a top-down camera view’. It is something that we explore and we think about how would this work in the game and what would it make the game feel like, and what does it add for players? But, off the record, there is nothing we can say at this time.

Devon Carver: Yeah, the one thing I would say is… the first person mode which we’ve had, we used to kind of toggle in and out of it on our dev client before, the biggest reason to stay away of it is that the sense of direction in combat is really important in our game, as well as positioning – positioning is really important. So, when you go into that first-person mode, you really completely lose the understanding of anything that is going on behind you, which can make our combat really difficult to understand and just difficult to play. There is some PvE scenarios where probably it wouldn’t be a big deal, but certainly in PvP or World versus World, it becomes very difficult to actually understand what is going on in combat. Which means that it really handicaps you as a player at that point; it makes it difficult to know what is going on and for that reason it is something we probably won’t be doing much work with, because we have really done a lot of work and continue to do a lot of work to make combat as readable and understandable as possible, and, like I said, direction and positionality is really important in our game, so not being able to say all that playable space is really valuable.

The community never wanted it for combat. They wanted it for screenshots and immersion.

Anet is out of touch

saventis.1485

GuildMag: Similarly, some people are wondering what your stance is about adding a first-person view?

Matt Wuerffel: I think it falls into the realm of, you know, that is not something that we would rule out, we do play around a lot with different camera views and controls and I think even in the betas you’ve seen… like, some people found out ‘oh man, there is like, kind of an eagle view, a top-down camera view’. It is something that we explore and we think about how would this work in the game and what would it make the game feel like, and what does it add for players? But, off the record, there is nothing we can say at this time.

Devon Carver: Yeah, the one thing I would say is… the first person mode which we’ve had, we used to kind of toggle in and out of it on our dev client before, the biggest reason to stay away of it is that the sense of direction in combat is really important in our game, as well as positioning – positioning is really important. So, when you go into that first-person mode, you really completely lose the understanding of anything that is going on behind you, which can make our combat really difficult to understand and just difficult to play. There is some PvE scenarios where probably it wouldn’t be a big deal, but certainly in PvP or World versus World, it becomes very difficult to actually understand what is going on in combat. Which means that it really handicaps you as a player at that point; it makes it difficult to know what is going on and for that reason it is something we probably won’t be doing much work with, because we have really done a lot of work and continue to do a lot of work to make combat as readable and understandable as possible, and, like I said, direction and positionality is really important in our game, so not being able to say all that playable space is really valuable.

The community never wanted it for combat. They wanted it for screenshots and immersion.

Im gonna assume the guy that was talking about all the pvp and wvw stuff is the wvw guy
Which makes sense as to why he was only talking about it from a combat view point

Hes kinda only reallh able to comment on why it wasnt implamented in the content he was working on

(edited by saventis.1485)

Anet is out of touch

chemiclord.3978

The problem is that the guy answering that question, Devon Carter, his area of expertise is WvW combat development. That’s the reason HE knows for it not being implemented. Why the community WANTS it isn’t necessarily why the developers DON’T, and one may very well have nothing to do with the other.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

Anet PR is horrible,
The game is shifting more and more toward Chinese players (Canthan decoration in the Cliffs, Monkey King tonic, datamined armor is a Chinese armor etc) ,

Anet is out of touch

Labjax.2465

Let them know exactly what it is you want from this sort of communication. Where do you want the lines drawn?

I don’t remember what it was called, but I thought the german video interview with the lead design guy (I’m forgetting his actual title) was solid communication.

In my experience, good communication from game developers includes (but is not limited to) one or more of the following:
1) Succinct and pointed answers about implementation of requested features, or modifications to existing features.
2) Hints of what is to come (or could come) in a way that generates excitement (sometimes hints are all that can be given, but they are also sometimes all that is needed).
3) Sufficient knowledge of the development path (and few enough restrictions for talking about it) to answer questions that are asked (should be a no-brainer, but humans are human).

And that’s really about it. I think the main problem is that they don’t have a go-to-guy (or gal) with the right amount of knowledge, greenlights, and time to address peoples’ questions.

Or words to that effect.

Anet is out of touch

nightwulf.1986

So, that’s how you interpret their comment about the combat portion? I didn’t hear them say the community only wanted this feature to be able to use it in combat. I’m pretty sure he was just talking about what it would mean for combat. You want it for screenshots, that’s cool, but you are usually going to be in a combat zone taking screenshots. Will this feature be disabled in combat? How limiting would that be? Do some players want to use it in combat too? The devs have to think about all of these things. I may be totally wrong about how they ask these questions when thinking about how to implement features but I also think you aren’t asking all the questions you could before reaching conclusions like the one you mentioned.

Anet is out of touch

saventis.1485

You can press ctrl shift h to toggle hud which severly limits game playability
You can do this (as far as I know) in all game types
Kinda renders the first person camera argument moot
point
A similar option for first person should be phesable and I dont see how it would effect people who knew how to get into the mode in the first place

Anet is out of touch

nightwulf.1986

Let them know exactly what it is you want from this sort of communication. Where do you want the lines drawn?

I don’t remember what it was called, but I thought the german video interview with the lead design guy (I’m forgetting his actual title) was solid communication.

In my experience, good communication from game developers includes (but is not limited to) one or more of the following:
1) Succinct and pointed answers about implementation of requested features, or modifications to existing features.
2) Hints of what is to come (or could come) in a way that generates excitement (sometimes hints are all that can be given, but they are also sometimes all that is needed).
3) Sufficient knowledge of the development path (and few enough restrictions for talking about it) to answer questions that are asked (should be a no-brainer, but humans are human).

And that’s really about it. I think the main problem is that they don’t have a go-to-guy (or gal) with the right amount of knowledge, greenlights, and time to address peoples’ questions.

This all sounds reasonable. I’m still stuck on the issue of how this is accomplished for issues they aren’t ready to discuss. I get the feeling these ideal circumstances are more likely to be met for a) scripted interviews or b) interviews discussing things already announced. I just don’t see how trying to get devs to talk about unannounced features is ever going to be fruitful. I’m open to suggestions if someone has an idea on how to accomplish this or feel that I’m going about this matter the wrong way.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Blazing Liger.1236

Blazing Liger.1236

Honestly, what ANet needs is to put someone in Gaile Gray’s old position. Someone capable of being the public face of the company, able to answer players’ concerns, and be well-versed in enough of the goings on to actually answer questions. Interviews like this really highlight the need for a dedicated PR person. And certainly, the rest of the devs are busy with their actual job duties and we can’t expect them to answer all of our questions. I know not everyone liked Gaile, but she always did right by me.

It’s hard to do jumping puzzles with a big, fuzzy butt.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Said it before on reddit and I’ll say it again.

I think the current dev’s were trained on consoles, hence the crappy console FoV. Any decent PC gamer worth their salt would know that anything other than 90 degrees is problematic, headache inducing and just wrong!

(edited by Paul.4081)

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Silhouette.5631

Silhouette.5631

Remember when they said they wanted to be transparent about updates…Yeaaaaaah. LS is kept secret to prevent spoilers (understandable), balance updates secret to prevent economy flux? I’m guessing. They don’t give us much of a heads up on that. Any other kind of new items/new content has to be kept secret to prevent mass speculation and economy shift. Well alteast we know they’re working on precur- wait whats that? That’s out? Well crap…guys I have no idea what Anet’s up to, lemme know when you figure it out.

Edit: Don’t get me wrong, I like most the content Anet dishes out, and I get that they always try to improve on it from last time, but isn’t it kinda counter productive to leave something in the dust when players still want it?

Attachments:

(edited by Silhouette.5631)

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Anet has made some great games so far, but basically their view of what some aspect the GW2 should be isn’t the same as that of the community.

Just one example: for a game called Guild Wars the guild implementation is pretty weak: We’ve haven’t had new guild missions since the original ones, we have no Guild Halls and you can’t fight another guild unless you organize it all yourself, there is no guild ladder or tournament, no GvG game mode or arenas. Instead they tell us it has to do with some lore, but they keep talking about “Dragons” in their Living Story Lore, not “Guilds”.

I think the new market of selling virtual goods really twisted things around.

The thing keeping GW2 alive and well is the awesome fighting mechanics. They should be making new skills and arenas to bring that into light.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: digitalruse.9085

digitalruse.9085

Not to pick at nits, but the game’s namesake is the historical event known as The Guild Wars, not the literal battle between in game guilds. The first game starts while that is going on and is “put on hold” after the Charr invade.

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

Anet is out of touch

Labjax.2465

This all sounds reasonable. I’m still stuck on the issue of how this is accomplished for issues they aren’t ready to discuss. I get the feeling these ideal circumstances are more likely to be met for a) scripted interviews or b) interviews discussing things already announced. I just don’t see how trying to get devs to talk about unannounced features is ever going to be fruitful. I’m open to suggestions if someone has an idea on how to accomplish this or feel that I’m going about this matter the wrong way.

For issues they aren’t ready to discuss period, they can just not talk about them. But I don’t think that’s going to be many issues, honestly. You can say a few words about most things without handing over the current development plans. Just ask politicians. :P

Or words to that effect.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

so let me guess, no SAB for a really long time from this interview?!

R.I.P Kumu <3

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Dehuang.2053

Dehuang.2053

I wanted to take a little screenshot of a nice view i had in rata sum with everyone gathered up around the SAB entrance

wait.. what

Attachments:

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: offence.4726

offence.4726

Why does this come in shock for most people ? It took them 1.5 years to implement the basic features for the PvP lobby that should have been up since launch. Hoping for something big from now on is just unrealistic. They failed on too many levels

play hard , go pro.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Cross.6437

Cross.6437

If we believe they are out of touch, and this interview is some sort of indication of such, be direct about what you are looking for. Let them know exactly what it is you want from this sort of communication. Where do you want the lines drawn?

Honestly, I just want them to say what they are working on.

A while ago an employee posted an analogy about how they can’t release too much information on how they’re developing a potato and how it can change in the course of development and that change might upset people who were expecting something else.

But I don’t need all the details. I just want to know what they are working on right now because that will tell me what the company’s priorities are, and where the game is heading.

So, simple statements from Pvp, WvW, and whoever else like:
“We’re working on x and we hope that it does y.”

I don’t need it to be super specific either. Just descriptive enough for the imagination without revealing too much.

Some examples:
“We’re currently working on new rewards in PvP because we want to increase the variety of unique rewards available in that game mode.”
or
“We’re currently working on reviewing dungeons rewards because we want to ensure that rewards line up with average time investment.”

Two things. That’s all I need:
*The area they’re working on
*What their general hope is in improving that area

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Bubby.6475

Bubby.6475

I’m going to be white knight/devil’s advocate here and say they aren’t out of touch. Their is just a lot on their to do list. Up until now they’ve been perfecting the PvE part of the game (albeit crafting a legendary is still rocky), with some festivals, and some profession changes, which is good. But now they are working on PvP and WvW(mix of pve and pvp), which is basically the other TWO parts of the game, so it’s expected for them to not have as many festivals like SAB or LS.

I also think PvP and WvW as a whole should have more priority on their list than FPV option to “get good screenshots”…

Although I will agree with OP that the commander prices are a really high for a color change.

On a completely unrelated note, we need a wvw commander rating system, so the trollmanders can be dishonored from wvw or be really really low rank. There are literally tags that will wipe on the 1st push and rq. There are also tags that just quit when they outblob us. Speaking of tags, there should be more rewards for people who tag up and lead the server successfully through fights coughbilbodeimoscough or sieging/capping coughpeeweehuntercough, but there should be a limit on each map maybe 3. 1 for defense, 2 for offense.

FFWC forum moderators. :)

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

I think the answer is to put SAB in the game permanently. Because if it was in the game permanently, it would be forgotten about by most people in a month.

And the people who want to play it can happily do so.

QFT

Honestly I don’t understand why they didn’t just do this in the first place. I guess the novelty would wear off for most players but I don’t see how it’s worse than not being in the game at all, and people would play it again anyway when it gets updated. I understand the issue about the skins being too common should it remain sell-able, but since it’s essentially a dungeon on its own; it won’t be any different than the ones we already have permanently and they can just make upcoming recolors for succeeding stages account bound or something. :/ This way, people who bought the infinite continue coins would feel they are getting their money’s worth.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: ExAstris.8527

ExAstris.8527

I’m losing faith.

First was the scattering of the RP community by megaserver. I cannot overstate how much that harmed my relationship with this game. The rest of my guild just flat doesn’t log in now, and I’ve struggled to do so. (To any dev with the ability and desire to do so, check my log-ins since March compared with the year prior…)

Now, we are told that we could have a first-person perspective camera, but well it doesn’t really work with the combat. A fair point. But who the hell ever said they wanted a 1P camera for combat? It’s for immersion, travel, wandering around. Now I now you can’t charge gems for screenshots, but I would absolutely spend more time in-game if this feature was implemented. More time in game means I’m more likely to spend $ on gems, yes? …I don’t even know how to respond to that rationale. I’m not stupid. I am willing and able to toggle the camera. This is literally (as in the actual literal meaning of “literally”) mind-boggling to me.

No ability to tag as RP for megaserver filtering
the restrictive camera perspective/FOV
seeming abandonment of SAB and precursor crafting
…these are a few my least favorite things. They are reasons I will be moving on. (Check my log in; I’m not blowing smoke.)

And if I hear ONE more “we are aware that this feature is desired, but we can’t talk about it, check back in a year for the same answer”…I’m gonna spew. God, I am so angry right now.

Gwen Dlynn; human engineer (1st class)
Sir Reginald Doom; Charr necromancer (wip)
Aurora Skykin; Norn guardian (wip)

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

We have Halloween and Winterday as two schedule breaks coming up. Unless they simply reactivate SAB during the feature patch with no additional content, there isn’t a time period in the next 4+ months to activate it.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

I’m surprised the moderators haven’t slapped down this thread an infracted everyone (or almost everyone)

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

They don’t care about the small minority on the forums, they care about the vast majority of players.

Interviews like this one suggest otherwise. There’s no sense of caing about any players at the moment.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

They’re not in the game because a decent percentage of the player base would lock themselves into first person view, be unable to play the game, assume the game sucks and leaves. Which is good for no one. Even people who want it.

Haha ‘lock themselves into FPV’?
Do tell, how does one ‘lock themselves into FPV’, I’m all eyes to discover this amazing ‘feature’.
You do realize what you’re essentially saying is that it’d either be implemented in an absolutely horrible manner (i.e. that you’d be unable to zoom out anymore after zooming in, or that no hints would be given as to how to zoom out again, in case the former was not an option), or assume that the average player has an IQ of a rock. Or less.

Your reasoning holds about as much water as dis gem:
“We don’t want to provide a wide FoV because our art is pretty and you should see it up close”

“We don’t want to provide a 1st person view, that would let you see the pretty art up close, because… reasons.”

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Besides another very good argument that someone made on reddit was that by Vayne’s reasoning it would mean Arenanet considers a good chunk of its playerbase (big enough to avoid implementing 1st person) as drooling idiots. And I don’t believe nor want to believe that they do.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: rojak.1894

rojak.1894

I wonder what they’ll surprise us with in Week 2: A Fresh Start. I’m cautiously hopeful but sceptical lol. Cos so far the game (especially LS season 1) has been like an experiment for the next big thing they are working on, and LS season 2 is like a thinly drawned out and long preview.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

I wonder what they’ll surprise us with in Week 2: A Fresh Start. I’m cautiously hopeful but sceptical lol. Cos so far the game (especially LS season 1) has been like an experiment for the next big thing they are working on, and LS season 2 is like a thinly drawned out and long preview.

I feel that we’ve only touched the tip of the iceberg the negative wave.
I’m actually looking forward to see if ANet intends to play corrupt-a-wish with more good ideas.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Soinetwa.5193

Soinetwa.5193

i cant really udnerstand u all

the vast majority of players wanted to get belindas greatsword
and we got it!!
gemstore rules!!!

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Mr Niice.2307

Mr Niice.2307

and we got it!!
gemstore rules!!!

This is quite oftopic but wanted to respond anyway.

Wouldn’t it be way more awesome if that sword could only be obtained by beating a very hard dungeon/boss/solo encounter where you can get the drop by rng and also obtain tokens by which you can buy the sword. This way it means something, now everyone can get it without even playing the game, sounds quite dull to me.

~ Cerum

(edited by Mr Niice.2307)

Anet is out of touch

Vayne.8563

and we got it!!
gemstore rules!!!

Wouldn’t it be way more awesome if that sword could only be obtained by beating a very hard dungeon/boss/solo encounter where you can get the drop by rng and also obtain tokens by which you can buy the sword. This way it means something, now everyone can get it without even playing the game, sounds quite dull to me.

I’ve been in games where we’ve had it both ways. The problem is, if it’s a hard dungeon, most of the game’s population would be excluded from it…which is fine if you’re one of the guys who can do the dungeon. I know I am.

We had harder to get stuff in Guild Wars 1 also, but most of them could be bought with in game gold. Which meant anyone who could farm feathers could have one. It ended up meaning nothing.

But you end up with a bunch of have and have nots otherwise. And most of the population are have nots. That means part of the population will feel disenfranchised.

And you know, from a business perspective, I’d rather alienate the top hardcore guys, then everyone else. But that’s just me.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

and we got it!!
gemstore rules!!!

Way to miss the sarcasm.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

When are the blog posts coming out this week?

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Mr Niice.2307

Mr Niice.2307

Way to miss the sarcasm.

Yeah sorry, stupid of me. But in my defense its sometimes quite hard here to determine what is sarcasm and what is not.. :P

~ Cerum

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

People will scroll their mouse, but in that view, suck at the game and leave. You overestimate people. Most of this game wouldn’t really be playable in first person. It would be most useful for screen shots.

If you ask me the game is already unplayable when fully scrolled in, you see your big character from the back but nothing much else. You already have to zoom out a bit to make combat any effective. (I don’t know if this is true for all races though, playing small-created norn mostly)

Why not make 1st person not work when in-combat? Have it scroll out automatically when engaging in combat.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Anet is out of touch

Vayne.8563

If you ask me the game is already unplayable when fully scrolled in, you see your big character from the back but nothing much else. You already have to zoom out a bit to make combat any effective. (I don’t know if this is true for all races though, playing small-created norn mostly)

Why not make 1st person not work when in-combat? Have it scroll out automatically when engaging in combat.

I was sort of being flippant with this answer. I didn’t really think anyone would take it seriously. It’s a result of being annoyed at the total over-reaction I’m seeing there.

The thought process is, and they said it in the interview, the game really wasn’t meant to be played first person. Yes it would be very nice for screen shots. But very nice doesn’t give it priority over anything else.

Yes the could do what you say. Do I personally think that’s the best way Anet could be spending their time? Not really no.

I’m just frustrated with the constant over-reactions to everything, everything anyone in this company says.

You know that interview. It was really really bad. Because two guys were answering questions completely out of their area of expertise. They should have just said sorry not our department. Instead they tried…and they blew it. It’s bad press.

Big, fat, hairy deal.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

I think first – players are unrealistic with their expectations and demands – yes demands. Trying to be a bully on a forum, to get what you want, is the wrong way to go about getting anything. It seems that is the norm for game forums now a days.

Second, people really need to stop READING into things stuff that isn’t there. Like the SAB aficionados. A.Net said it won’t be introduced during the LS2 part of the game. They didn’t say never. But, since SAB isn’t out WHEN THEY WANT IT, they are protesting and stomping their feet like 2 yr. olds. Sad – very sad.

Third, yes A.Net could be a little more forthcoming with information as long as players don’t jump on them or come to conclusions. Forum posters have been down right nasty to A.Net employees who do post information so I understand where they are coming from.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Soinetwa.5193

Soinetwa.5193

I think first – players are unrealistic with their expectations and demands – yes demands. Trying to be a bully on a forum, to get what you want, is the wrong way to go about getting anything. It seems that is the norm for game forums now a days.

Second, people really need to stop READING into things stuff that isn’t there. Like the SAB aficionados. A.Net said it won’t be introduced during the LS2 part of the game. They didn’t say never. But, since SAB isn’t out WHEN THEY WANT IT, they are protesting and stomping their feet like 2 yr. olds. Sad – very sad.

Third, yes A.Net could be a little more forthcoming with information as long as players don’t jump on them or come to conclusions. Forum posters have been down right nasty to A.Net employees who do post information so I understand where they are coming from.

well.. thart partly because were waiting for a while now
Sab 1 and 2 were just a couple months between
then A FEW months later wouldve been 1.april aniversairy people already asking when its coming out and.. it didnt came out
noone ever talked to us about anythign regarding sab
and then almost one whole year after the release of sab2
we get to hear something like this…

anet coulve told us that muuuuuuch sooner

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

But honestly, what’s going on at Arena Net?
How come Colin no longer posts here? How come he’s no longer attending these major events like Gamescon?
What happened to Looking Forward 2013 Blog Post which was made year ago?
What happened to regular skill updates?

All this makes me think that there’s just something quite “bad” going on at Arena Net.
Maybe they’re not doing great financially? Maybe NCsoft it taking too much money from GW2 and investing it in other products?