Anet is out of touch

Anet is out of touch

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Serenity.6149

Serenity.6149

My favorites:

“But, off the record, there is nothing we can say at this time.”

Why do you need to go off the record to say nothing?

“it’s difficult to fit [SAB] in within the narrative structure that we have now and I think that makes it very much less likely that it will appear in a Living World season going forward.”

How did the Torment skin set fit within the narrative structure? Yes, some might argue that cash shop items don’t count because they’re not actual content, but in a game that boasts “horizontal progression,” wherein that progression is achieved more through the cash shop than PVE, cash shop items are indeed content.

They may as well have just said, “it’s difficult to fit [SAB] in within the revenue structure we have now,” because fact of the matter is that SAB only had the already controversial Infinite Continue Coin as a cash shop item, and that’s a one-time purchase. All other SAB content (i.e. skins) is achieved via “PVE”, which makes SAB an ugly stepchild in a game that has increasingly misconstrued “horizontal progression” to mean skins released in the cash shop, with a few back skins awkwardly thrown in here and there as an award for completing certain LS/achievements.

Also, this “entitled” argument is such a straw man. The community is obviously not entitled to get everything it wants (especially since players want different things), but I do not understand this obsession with needing to be okay with being fed dog poop. If you’re okay with it, Arenanet has trained you well and that’s your prerogative, but if people are unhappy with the direction of a product they had high expectations for, it’s their prerogative to voice their concern as well. If you want everyone with a complaint to leave the game, you’re no less selfish than the people you accuse, and you’re going to be left playing a pretty empty game.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

On the other hand, I think games have a special kind of relationship between player and developer because of the way they are constructed; with MMOs in particular, they are updated and changed to improve them, and often the active community gets some feature requests fulfilled somewhere along the line.

And right there is what I dispute.

Because you DON’T have a “special kind of relationship”, and to be perfectly blunt and cold… you never did. “AAA” games are as much a business as movies, TV, music or any other form of entertainment. At the end of the day, no matter how much you think you are “invested”, the developers do not see you in the same way. They will do whatever they think will make them money, not what will make forum goers glow happily.

The emotional investment is ENTIRELY one-sided. Arena.net is a company. You are just a customer. If you are looking for the earnest interaction that comes from a handful of people just trying to create a fun experience for the niche they’ve settled on, then the indie scene is over in the corner of the Internet over there.

But in this section of the pool, don’t fool yourself. The “AAA” experience requires big money. It is corporate gray. It is big business, and people like you and I, my friend, are just a number.

Anet is out of touch

chemiclord.3978

Also, this “entitled” argument is such a straw man. The community is obviously not entitled to get everything it wants (especially since players want different things), but I do not understand this obsession with needing to be okay with being fed dog poop. If you’re okay with it, Arenanet has trained you well and that’s your prerogative, but if people are unhappy with the direction of a product they had high expectations for, it’s their prerogative to voice their concern as well. If you want everyone with a complaint to leave the game, you’re no less selfish than the people you accuse, and you’re going to be left playing a pretty empty game.

I don’t think you’re quite getting my point.

It has nothing to do with “being okay with being fed dog poop.” It’s that Arena.net is GOING to feed you what you think is dog poop, no matter how much you whine and cry on their official forums. Their entire motivation is doing what they think will get the most people spending money on their game.

Because they don’t owe you transparency. They don’t HAVE to give you the roadmap. The only thing they HAVE to do is keep hitting the monetary goals NCSoft has no doubt set for them.

And they aren’t wrong. As much as the forum has railed against multiple changes, the money flowing in suggests that Arena.net ISN’T struggling and apparently are hitting their goals every single time. Until they don’t, I wouldn’t hold your breath on them worrying too much about making the forum goers happy.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Silhouette.5631

Silhouette.5631

Yes because getting money short term instead of working with your community long term has never bitten anybody in the rear ever

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Zardul.3952

Zardul.3952

wish we could have contact with anet reps who actually answer our questions. and dont give " i dont know" answers

Main: lvl 80 Ranger ,
Alt: lvl 80 Mesmer

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Serenity.6149

Serenity.6149

It has nothing to do with “being okay with being fed dog poop.” It’s that Arena.net is GOING to feed you what you think is dog poop, no matter how much you whine and cry on their official forums. Their entire motivation is doing what they think will get the most people spending money on their game.

Because they don’t owe you transparency. They don’t HAVE to give you the roadmap. The only thing they HAVE to do is keep hitting the monetary goals NCSoft has no doubt set for them.

And they aren’t wrong. As much as the forum has railed against multiple changes, the money flowing in suggests that Arena.net ISN’T struggling and apparently are hitting their goals every single time. Until they don’t, I wouldn’t hold your breath on them worrying too much about making the forum goers happy.

Considering I did not quote your post, I don’t understand your “I don’t think you’re quite getting my point” statement, as your point is not the only one to get.

That said, there has been a very distressing “if you don’t like the game, go elsewhere” mentality with the game’s most ardent supporters, just as there’s a very distressing “the game is free, so you have no right to expect anything” mentality (erroneous as it may be). You can feel free to take or not take this as pointing at you as well.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

I don’t understand what you are trying to get at lol…
What’s the point of posting “THEY DON’T OWE YOU ANYTHING”…everyone already knows that… this is a forum, we can still voice opinions.. why the heck even have forums if we can’t make a thread like this?… your posts literally are pointless in this thread… You don’t need to constantly remind us that anet doesn’t have to listen… well kitten , of course they don’t , this doesn’t mean we can’t say something on their public forums…
You want ppl to stop making threads like this? its a freaking forum, L2ignore if you are getting this worked up about something so simple.
Of course in the end, anet will just do whats best for their wallets, but what do you have against ppl complaining about the general direction of the game lol? how on earth is that getting your panties in a wad when someone complains… just ignore the thread dude..

Anet is out of touch

Zardul.3952

we need more Real time Forum communication from a Dev or Rep ..

if we was given a day in the wee kto do this at a certain time ON THIS FORUM , ON THIS WEBSITE.

it would Fix soooooooooo many complaints

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

Chemiclord is spot on. Let me ask y’all this; Do you spend as much time harping on the Auto companies about their recalls? probably not. I bet most go through life saying big deal. Well, some of these recalls caused loss of life, I don’t seeing that happening here. I mean it is a bloody entertainment. It is not a partnership, it is not a marriage, it is not a mano a mano relationship either. It is a customer – business relationship.

Could they be better with communication – darn right they could but yelling like 2 yr olds and having temper tantrums, on the official forums, has done exactly what for the game? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

People need to get a life outside of gaming. There is more to life out there.

Anet is out of touch

Zardul.3952

say like.. every Wednesday an ANET Dev comes to the forums to answer our questions for couple hours.

wouldn’t that put our minds to rest?

imagine the relationship the Players and Dev’s could have together

Anet is out of touch

Dusty Moon.4382

if we was given a day in the wee kto do this at a certain time ON THIS FORUM , ON THIS WEBSITE.

Actually it wouldn’t fix anything. if you look at other games, where there is more communication, what happens is the players end up yelling and having temper tantrums at the developers. It changes nothing.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Actually it wouldn’t fix anything. if you look at other games, where there is more communication, what happens is the players end up yelling and having temper tantrums at the developers. It changes nothing.

yea, games that have more dev to community interaction are all doing awful… so lets not even bother trying it here…. dat logic.

ANY communication is good, but how the community reacts? who the heck cares ? some will always cry no matter what, others will be very happy that at least they are saying something. Let them throw temper tantrums, you think devs actually lose sleep because joe the gamer was mean to him on a forum lol? You have to have some thick skin to be a game dev…

Instead what we have here is zero communication in which everyone gets disappointed and little uneasy about whats going on , that is bad.

(edited by SkiTz.4590)

Anet is out of touch

Zardul.3952

Ive been there, i played WoW for 7 years.

The communication on the forums did both Good and Bad…

but all this NO communication is just doing BAD, nothing Good is coming out of the Silent treatment.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Domino.1359

Domino.1359

There is a similar thread right above us with this issue: I’m standing by the point that constant communication will indeed create a kitten-storm but it also informs our players of our community (!!) that you hear us, you understand us, and our game is and will change (or not). And sometimes, it doesn’t create whining in the least.

At the moment, theory aside, Anet does not communicate with us – saying these recent interviews is communication is too far from reality. It’s these interviews with a lack of content and progression that are creating a kitten-storm in this community and in-game. It’s the interviewee that is creating this problem with “i don’t know’s” and “on the radar” for the past 2 years.

Anet is out of touch

Domino.1359

but all this NO communication is just doing BAD, nothing Good is coming out of the Silent treatment.

Agreed, and this is the exact point of all these threads and chaos in-game and in our community. Such a small mistake and here is the result.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

That’s a good point. It might very well be in ANet’s best interest to promote more transparency. However, “in their best interest” does not mean they are required to do so. In the end, no matter how reasonable our requests for information seem to us, our only power is to refrain from spending. My stance toward GW2 now is that I play it when I feel like it, and don’t spend money anymore because I believe that ANet does not want to provide what I want to see. I have no rancor towards them for it, but see no reason to support the company any more than I already have.

I like this man. He gets it.

Agreed. Won’t be spending any money for months on end until someone is either replaced as the person in charge of feature packs (like what happened with Ghost Crawler in another title) or they restore the suggestions folder and begin a comprehensive plan of updating the game to modern standards. I’d actually like them to start with the wiki page list of things Colin and others have said were to happen next.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Guild mag interview with Devon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyWxsJU4InM

While it’s WvW oriented, almost all the questions were answered pretty much as “nothing new to report”. Glad Destiny is coming out soon.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Anet is out of touch

Zardul.3952

each time someone gets upset with this game… and lets be honest its very often. almost Daily occurrence.
that person runs a risk of leaving the game out of anger or resentment.

i cant see how thats good buissness. i was taught that the Customer is always right.

and in this little community that we do have, we cant afford to lose more players.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Because you DON’T have a “special kind of relationship”, and to be perfectly blunt and cold… you never did. “AAA” games are as much a business as movies, TV, music or any other form of entertainment. At the end of the day, no matter how much you think you are “invested”, the developers do not see you in the same way. They will do whatever they think will make them money, not what will make forum goers glow happily.

The emotional investment is ENTIRELY one-sided. Arena.net is a company. You are just a customer. If you are looking for the earnest interaction that comes from a handful of people just trying to create a fun experience for the niche they’ve settled on, then the indie scene is over in the corner of the Internet over there.

But in this section of the pool, don’t fool yourself. The “AAA” experience requires big money. It is corporate gray. It is big business, and people like you and I, my friend, are just a number.

Obviously devs can’t listen to every player because that’s just unrealistic, but I have seen situations where devs listen to certain individuals. I think you misunderstand; I’m not saying that we as individual players are particularly important. What I’m saying is that as a consumer base, feedback is more important than in most industries.

A lot of gamers have a pretty good idea of what they want out of a game, so they say what it is. It’s not like that in a lot of industries. To give you an example of the contrast, I have read a lot of fiction books, but the best I could tell you about what I enjoy from one is sci-fi/fantasy-ish and good characters – which is just a genre and a vague mention of quality.

Games have the benefit of being fairly transparent as to what you like or don’t like; a lot of it is segmented, so you can see, “Oh, I do like jumping puzzles, but I don’t like fighting other players” (or whatever the case may be).

Or words to that effect.

Anet is out of touch

tigirius.9014

Agreed, and this is the exact point of all these threads and chaos in-game and in our community. Such a small mistake and here is the result.

Dusty Moon: “Actually it wouldn’t fix anything. if you look at other games, where there is more communication, what happens is the players end up yelling and having temper tantrums at the developers. It changes nothing.”

Actually NO Dusty Moon the games that have the best community-developer relations are those in which they A: don’t stifle complaints like they do here B: Don’t throw away 2 years of suggestions folders C: Don’t follow a completely different direction than the one they sold everyone on (Nov 2012 announcement of Ascended and Fractals) D : Have an actual player council from all player types so they can get feedback instead of E: Shying away from the playerbase because they KNOW they aren’t fulfilling their list of not just 1 set of prelaunch promises mind you but the new second set that still has yet to be done on the wiki page.

Seriously, PoE, Skyforge, Allods, STO, Diablo III, WoW, Rift, EVE all have way better relations with their playerbase and it shows in their games. The devs know what the problems are they don’t just give people lipservice like what happens here, and their feature packs are actually fixes for the real concerns of the playerbase instead of just something a couple of guys were sitting around at taco bell talking about one day, because that’s exactly what this list of Feature Pack 2 looks like. not a single actual concern from the Engineer forum is in this patch. Explain that.

(edited by tigirius.9014)

Anet is out of touch

Domino.1359

Chemiclord is spot on. Let me ask y’all this; Do you spend as much time harping on the Auto companies about their recalls? probably not. I bet most go through life saying big deal. Well, some of these recalls caused loss of life, I don’t seeing that happening here. I mean it is a bloody entertainment. It is not a partnership, it is not a marriage, it is not a mano a mano relationship either. It is a customer – business relationship.

Could they be better with communication – darn right they could but yelling like 2 yr olds and having temper tantrums, on the official forums, has done exactly what for the game? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

We are not discussing life outside of gaming, friend. We all know what life is. We are not discussing car recalls and deaths…. C’mon…

Does a car company keep an open forum? Does a car company have a direct line of communication to the buyers? Does a car company have employee’s riding with you on the freeway? (okay probably, but no Arena guid tag above their head, lol).

What is the difference between a car company and a mmo/GW2? EVERYTHING. We are a small community. This is not an billion dollar industry outsourcing to other countries with millions of employees. This is a small community of like minded individuals/groups with a line of communication to the developers (at the moment, our frustration is this line is closed). We/developers host events with nerd gamers and get together and game. Your comparison is widely reaching. You have one thing correct: it is still a customer-business relationship – however, communication will not leave us in a temper tantrum.

Anet is out of touch

tigirius.9014

We are not discussing life outside of gaming, friend. We all know what life is. We are not discussing car recalls and deaths…. C’mon…

Does a car company keep an open forum? Does a car company have a direct line of communication to the buyers? Does a car company have employee’s riding with you on the freeway? (okay probably, but no Arena guid tag above their head, lol).

What is the difference between a car company and a mmo/GW2? EVERYTHING. We are a small community. This is not an billion dollar industry outsourcing to other countries with millions of employees. This is a small community of like minded individuals/groups with a line of communication to the developers (at the moment, our frustration is this line is closed). We/developers host events with nerd gamers and get together and game. Your comparison is widely reaching. You have one thing correct: it is still a customer-business relationship – however, communication will not leave us in a temper tantrum.

I’m beginning to think some players don’t actually understand what the word Forum means. " A public meeting place for open discussion "

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

If only Anet had Steve Ballmer owning them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mriKM_39cfE

His enthusiasm anyway. lol.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

Commander tags… player speculation with no hard facts… about par for the course for players. I’ll withhold judgement until you know… Anet actually announces the feature.

Precursor crafting… You win on that one, Anet has really dropped the ball here.

You did see the gamescom interview where a dev said yes, they cost 300g now and you have to buy each color individually right? I mean, that was the announcement…

I think Zudet was referring to the 300g per color rumor that players have been spreading around like crazy despite no confirmation (that I’m aware of). It was said 300g would be the cost, and that you would have to buy each color separately, and that there is no particular order in which you must get them, however, it is yet to be confirmed that each tag after the first will be 300g.

Which is really stupid, because if a single person with the relevant information at ANet came and looked at the forums, they could probably make that clarification for us.

http://www.guildmag.com/preview-september-2014-feature-pack/

If you watch the video, skip to 2:30, and right out of the horses mouth comes confirmation. Also, here’s a copy and paste from the article:

“Commander System

With the September 2014 Feature Pack, the commander tag will become an account-wide system. There will be four colors (blue, yellow, red and pink) to purchase at a price of 300 gold (up from 100 gold before). These colors will not have a pre-designed hierarchy. If you’ve already unlocked the blue tag the patch will update this tag to become available for the whole account. If you purchased four tags or more before the upcoming feature pack releases, you’ll be able to get a refund by contacting support."

NOT a rumor. You’re welcome.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Arnath.2319

Arnath.2319

The problem is ArenaNet are making it up as the go along.

These last few years have been one big open beta test, they had no idea they were going to do the living story till after the game launched, and only now are they starting to feel comfortable with it and even then it’s still seriously flawed.

Where as other MMO’s have things planned out years in advance, Guild Wars 2 is one big mess, its trying to be a ‘Walking Dead’/‘The Wolf Among Us’ episodic minimal content story telling game, but at the same time trying to be a serious mmo with PVE content, but they are also trying to put a heavy focus on making PVP a e-sport like dota.

And they deliberately look for the cheapest, quickest, big money making way to get things done.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

Guild mag interview with Devon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyWxsJU4InM

While it’s WvW oriented, almost all the questions were answered pretty much as “nothing new to report”. Glad Destiny is coming out soon.

Yeah, but that’s not his area of expertise!
Jokes aside, I feel bad for them because they know they have not much to report but need to pad words out to make it seem like they have a lot to say.

Anet is out of touch

Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon: “Actually it wouldn’t fix anything. if you look at other games, where there is more communication, what happens is the players end up yelling and having temper tantrums at the developers. It changes nothing.”

Actually NO Dusty Moon the games that have the best community-developer relations are those in which they A: don’t stifle complaints like they do here B: Don’t throw away 2 years of suggestions folders C: Don’t follow a completely different direction than the one they sold everyone on (Nov 2012 announcement of Ascended and Fractals) D : Have an actual player council from all player types so they can get feedback instead of E: Shying away from the playerbase because they KNOW they aren’t fulfilling their list of not just 1 set of prelaunch promises mind you but the new second set that still has yet to be done on the wiki page.

Seriously, PoE, Skyforge, Allods, STO, Diablo III, WoW, Rift, EVE all have way better relations with their playerbase and it shows in their games. The devs know what the problems are they don’t just give people lipservice like what happens here, and their feature packs are actually fixes for the real concerns of the playerbase instead of just something a couple of guys were sitting around at taco bell talking about one day, because that’s exactly what this list of Feature Pack 2 looks like. not a single actual concern from the Engineer forum is in this patch. Explain that.

Like Rift? That game was so messed up when the developers listened to whiners on the forum. It is an accident waiting to happen.

There is nothing wrong with constructive comments but most on this forum post, ‘I want the developers to answer my question’. This is not a question/answer session.

Give good decent criticism with information to back it up. Just don’t say, ‘BECAUSE I WANT IT’. Unfortunately, people on this forum are the latter not the former.

Anet is out of touch

Labjax.2465

Like Rift? That game was so messed up when the developers listened to whiners on the forum. It is an accident waiting to happen.

There is nothing wrong with constructive comments but most on this forum post, ‘I want the developers to answer my question’. This is not a question/answer session.

Give good decent criticism with information to back it up. Just don’t say, ‘BECAUSE I WANT IT’. Unfortunately, people on this forum are the latter not the former.

Actually, developers listening to players was one of the best parts of Rift (I can’t speak to whether it still is). I don’t know where people are coming up with this notion that Rift hurt itself by listening to players. They made the game better in countless situations by listening to player feedback.

That’s kind of been their calling card, is their ability to listen.

Does it mean the game is amazing? Not necessarily. But on the listening front, they have done remarkably well compared to other MMOs on the market and it helped them a lot.

Or words to that effect.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I don’t think most players understand the lead time and inertia a large software project needs and generates. They can’t turn on a dime once things are set in motion. The LS development likely started six months ago and the feature packs even longer.

I too believe that sometimes ANet simply doesn’t “get it”. Commander tags for instance. Couldn’t simply add a customization feature with a half a dozen different colors and shapes to choose from for those who already have a tag. Had to turn it into a collectible gold sink. That is NOT QoL. You missed the broad side of the barn there ANet. Maybe the request wasn’t communicated properly from the CDI. Or after a cycle of tossing ideas around you lost the actually reason for the request, organization, and decided tags were just another cosmetic element since only gold was involved as oppose to a minimum WvW level and gold.

My point is what we are seeing is there interpretation of what players were asking about a year ago and nothing more recent than that because it takes that long to formalize the idea, develop the schedule and assign the personal to implement it.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Anet is out of touch

Labjax.2465

My point is what we are seeing is there interpretation of what players were asking about a year ago and nothing more recent than that because it takes that long to formalize the idea, develop the schedule and assign the personal to implement it.

You have a good point, though when it comes to the tags specifically, the most time-consuming part was probably the account-bound thing. With the right assets and tools on hand, the color variation part could take all of an hour, if that.

Probably spend more time testing the new colors than making them.

Or words to that effect.

Anet is out of touch

chemiclord.3978

Well my theory on the commander colors was an attempt to add another gold sink to fight inflation. I hope they realize it’s a misguided shot (as many of the commanders that would actually USE such color coding probably aren’t the types gold farming).

Anet is out of touch

Behellagh.1468

You have a good point, though when it comes to the tags specifically, the most time-consuming part was probably the account-bound thing. With the right assets and tools on hand, the color variation part could take all of an hour, if that.

Probably spend more time testing the new colors than making them.

But that task had to be scheduled along with the rest of the tasks needing to be done. And since we don’t know the tool chain used in UI development, I doubt they are knocking out basic UI API calls or even have their own framework, or if there are other scheduled changes in the UI that would require some degree of coordination between multiple developers. Obviously there’s a database modifying filter to be coded and run on the player database but even though the player side change may seem trivial, it’s still part of a schedule. And regardless of the outcry, they will have to schedule a fix on something that may have been checked off as done and tested months ago.

I think they have a more traditional development environment than an “agile” team that can “pivot” on demand.

RIP City of Heroes

Anet is out of touch

Labjax.2465

I think they have a more traditional development environment than an “agile” team that can “pivot” on demand.

Maybe so. If they are slow to respond, that could explain why.

Or words to that effect.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Shivan.9438

Shivan.9438

Well my theory on the commander colors was an attempt to add another gold sink to fight inflation. I hope they realize it’s a misguided shot (as many of the commanders that would actually USE such color coding probably aren’t the types gold farming).

You can’t fight inflation and have capitalism at the same time. The only way to stop inflation is to put a cap on how much can be charged for a person’s goods, otherwise someone will think their materials are better and sell them for a higher price. What would help to take some of the gold out of the market is to not allow people to buy gems and convert them to gold. By allowing it to happen this injects free money into the economy that isn’t earned. There’s not enough mats or hard assets to back up the gold. That in turn devalues the currency because everyone for the moment is rich. That drives the price of mats up to match but when that influx of money stops, mats will be still high with no money to bring things back down. This throws the balance of supply and demand way off and cause a recession or in a worse case scenario a depression.

The next way to take gold out of the game is to stop nerfing farming spots, open up more zones (new content) and remove the diminishing returns on loot. When you have DR on loot, people have to move onto another spot. Just so happens that other people are farming that spot too, so the place becomes crowded. With new zones opened up there are more places to farm and it relieves the pressure. It allows the gold to be made easier and thus spent easier. When you nerf a farming spot with the idea that if there’s less gold to be made there will be less gold to spend. That’s true, but you also run a very high risk of people not farming/working – Unemployment.

I sometimes wonder if people actually know how an economy works.

(edited by Shivan.9438)

Anet is out of touch

Dusty Moon.4382

Actually, developers listening to players was one of the best parts of Rift (I can’t speak to whether it still is). I don’t know where people are coming up with this notion that Rift hurt itself by listening to players. They made the game better in countless situations by listening to player feedback.

That’s kind of been their calling card, is their ability to listen.

Does it mean the game is amazing? Not necessarily. But on the listening front, they have done remarkably well compared to other MMOs on the market and it helped them a lot.

It wasn’t – players whining about certain builds that were OP only to make others even more OP. If the players would have actually learned to play the game and see what can be used as a counter, then the balance would have been kept in place – it was pretty balanced when it was released.There was no balance in that game. Then the players wanted a 3-faction PvP BUT the lore only had in 2 Factions. So, they created something out of thin air that just made the game even more MEH.

Players do not see the big picture and only have their small part in focus and that is the problem.

Anet is out of touch

Labjax.2465

It wasn’t – players whining about certain builds that were OP only to make others even more OP. There was no balance in that game. Then the players wanted a 3-faction PvP BUT the lore only had in 2 Factions. So, they created something out of thin air that just made the game even more MEH.

If all you’re taking into account is the PvP of that game, you’re going to get a very distorted view.

The PvP was easily the worst part, compared to other games in the market.

I mean, they even said outright that they were not going to support arena-style PvP. PvP was arguably the red-headed-stepchild of that game and probably still is.

Or words to that effect.

Anet is out of touch

chemiclord.3978

You can’t fight inflation and have capitalism at the same time. The only way to stop inflation is to put a cap on how much can be charged for a person’s goods, otherwise someone will think their materials are better and sell them for a higher price. What would help to take some of the gold out of the market is to not allow people to buy gems and convert them to gold. By allowing it to happen this injects free money into the economy that isn’t earned. There’s not enough mats or hard assets to back up the gold. That in turn devalues the currency because everyone for the moment is rich. That drives the price of mats up to match but when that influx of money stops, mats will be still high with no money to bring things back down. This throws the balance of supply and demand way off and cause a recession or in a worse case scenario a depression.

The next way to take gold out of the game is to stop nerfing farming spots, open up more zones (new content) and remove the diminishing returns on loot. When you have DR on loot, people have to move onto another spot. Just so happens that other people are farming that spot too, so the place becomes crowded. With new zones opened up there are more places to farm and it relieves the pressure. It allows the gold to be made easier and thus spent easier. When you nerf a farming spot with the idea that if there’s less gold to be made there will be less gold to spend. That’s true, but you also run a very high risk of people not farming/working – Unemployment.

I sometimes wonder if people actually know how an economy works.

That only works when you’re dealing with a closed system though. The GW2 economy is an open one, where new wealth is added by the minute. If wealth is not taken from the system at a reasonably equal clip, what you see is what you’re seeing here… prices constantly going up because the resources grow increasingly less than the gold in the system.

You CAN combat that by increasing the resources (i.e. drops), but then you have the problem we’re having with precursors, which by all accounts Arena.net LIKES being where they are at. They WANT those (and other items) extremely rare, so increasing the supply really isn’t an option.

I think we need a little bit of both, something that takes a chunk of gold OUT of the system WHILE increasing drops, at least of things not intended to be super-duper rare. But regardless, 300g for a commander tag color isn’t the way to do it.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Because you DON’T have a “special kind of relationship”, and to be perfectly blunt and cold… you never did. “AAA” games are as much a business as movies, TV, music or any other form of entertainment.

I agree with your overall point. Its a business. We are customers. Period.

But there is a bit of a difference (IMO). I think that the nature of the development cycle in an MMO is more interactive than is the case with a movie, album (do they still call collections of music that ?), etc.

It may not be an emotional relationship, but there seems to me to be more of an interactive relationship between developers and players of an MMO than viewers and a movie studio, etc.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Wwefan.4982

Wwefan.4982

Afro PvP is getting an overhaul through the feature patch which has nothing to do with the living world content and so what if SAB doesn’t fit with the LS it can come back as a festival like wintersday or Halloween people just have to grow up and stop crying about stuff like this as if Anet have said we aren’t doing anymore SAB its a game and its a game that gives the community what they want lets not forget Anet have gave us the account wallet, LFG tool, the Wardrobe system and permanent LS content so give them a break and just enjoy the game and if your only playing it just to cry about stuff like SAB then don’t play nobody will miss you.

Sylvari mean

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Wwefan.4982

Wwefan.4982

Afro PvP is getting an overhaul through the feature patch which has nothing to do with the living world content and so what if SAB doesn’t fit with the LS it can come back as a festival like wintersday or Halloween people just have to grow up and stop crying about stuff like this as if Anet have said we aren’t doing anymore SAB its a game and its a game that gives the community what they want lets not forget Anet have gave us the account wallet, LFG tool, the Wardrobe system and permanent LS content so give them a break and just enjoy the game and if your only playing it just to cry about stuff like SAB then don’t play nobody will miss you.

Sylvari mean

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

This is factually incorrect.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Anet is out of touch

Behellagh.1468

This is factually incorrect.

The best kind of incorrect.

RIP City of Heroes

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Cries Of Sorrow.5864

Cries Of Sorrow.5864

Did the title of this thread remind anyone of this? I can assure you it’s better than shouting at the sky.

Main Elementalist:Train Of Thought
Alt Warrior: Burning Paris
Best Ele build EU.

Anet is out of touch

Domino.1359

“you’re out of touch… i’m out of time” oh so awesome

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

If there is one thing that REALLY irritates me about gamers, is this idea that they are somehow owed, or should expect transparency or a road map. Gamers continue to push this narrative that they are somehow in a “relationship” or a “partnership” with the games and the developers.

You. Are. Not.

You are nothing more than a CUSTOMER. Period. One of millions of people. You are owed nothing but the product you purchased, a product you have been given for the money that has been exchanged. Anything you get beyond that is merely an added bonus.

Get it through your skulls. They do NOT have to listen to you. They do NOT have to do what you request. While it may certainly be a good idea to keep an ear on what your customers are saying, they are under ZERO obligation to comply to anything you say.

If you absolutely cannot accept the policies of a company, if you honestly think they are not listening to your wants and are actively ignoring you, you walk away and stop supporting that company.

THAT is your power. Nothing more.

To a point, with one exception. I invest time and energy into the game…and I want to keep on doing that, but I want it to be worth it not just now, but in the future. Surely if I’m investing my time in something, I have some right to know if I’m wasting it or not. Because if it’s changing, and they don’t tell me and I leave..I could have been doing something else.

I’m here for the long haul. I like the game. I’m having fun. I don’t see myself not having fun next week. But if suddenly Anet were to introduce open world PvP into the game, I’d have to rethink my commitment.

I am going to say this. Games are about entertainment. One playes games for entertainment value. If I am not entertained then I stop playing them. People are reacting to games like they would to a job. That is your problem, not A.Net’s – they wrote this game to entertain us.

Why should A.Net care how much time and energy you put into the game? You were entertained weren’t you? Their job is done, if you have. Anything more on your point is ‘Entitled" and you aren’t ‘Entitled’ to jack.

Oh crap. I don’t want a job. I want something I feel vested in though. You don’t think sports fans get vested in their team. You don’t think that people get vested in the music they play or are fans of? You don’t think people get vested in golf.

But golf is golf. It doesn’t change that quickly. You play on a course, it’s most likely going to be the same course for a long time. MMOs do change.

So if you join a golf club and they rebuild the course differently, you’d have reason to be annoyed.

This is about wanting to find something I can call home while I’m playing. Something I can enjoy long term.

Because you do invest time to build stuff in an MMO. That’s why Anet gave Guild Wars 1 players the Hall of Monuments. We were all pretty much rich and decked out in the coolest stuff and they were asking us to start over.

That doesn’t mean I want a job. I want a game that’s going to be something I enjoy long term. Otherwise, why would I want to put money into it?

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: ipan.4356

ipan.4356

@Vayne

I’m hoping Star Citizen will be that game. I’ve seen pretty amazing things so far.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

@Vayne

I’m hoping Star Citizen will be that game. I’ve seen pretty amazing things so far.

I think Star Citizen will end up as a pay to win game. It may not and I hope it won’t. I already have a ship.

Anet is out of touch

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

i won’t miss SAB, it was a boring crappy LS

unfortunatly so is the rest of LS and if Anet keeps up this mentality of “LS is the future” this game will be dead pretty soon due to their own lacking
the only thing they put real effort in are the gemstore skins that cost about 10 euros worth of gems for 1 stupid sword…

SAB was never part of the living story, its its own thing.

Anet is out of touch

Galen Grey.4709

I mean, it’s alright to have delays, and changes in plans, but they could at least explain why.
They most certainly don’t have to do that, but if they don’t communicate at all there will be quite a bit of people disappointed and asking for questions.

Well they did that with precursor scavenger hunt / crafting. They did tell us they weren’t happy with it, changed it from a scavenger hunt to crafting and thus was delayed to later. The major reaction to that wasnt really its okey as far as I saw.

Its easy to rationalize how things should go in an ideal world but this is far from an ideal world (not just speaking of this forum / community)

Truth is everything you do has repercussions and what is good and bad changes from person to person.

Anet is out of touch

Galen Grey.4709

I wouldnt be so sure… This who outrage started because of communication not because of the lack of it. I am not saying people were happy because at its core lack of communication is not good but it was a state of balance at least. Then there was communication which communicated something people will not really happy about + it didnt deliver the answers people wanted and boom now there is conflict, temperature is rising and all that bad stuff.

I am not saying no communication was good only that it was in a way a state that was somewhat better then what communication brought.