Anyone miss the old GW?

Anyone miss the old GW?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: RockandRolling.7859

RockandRolling.7859

I just purchased GW2. I played the original on and off for two or maybe even three years and bought the first expansion. I really liked how on missions, there was that huge arrow above you guiding you. I REALLY miss how you could combine classes. Gw2 seems more confusing and I’m just not clicking with it as I did the first. Maybe it’s because it’s new to me so that’s why it’s all weird.
Anyone even play the original anymore?

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Countess Aire.9410

Countess Aire.9410

I still play GW. It is fun to go back and roam around

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I also still play, so nope, I don’t miss it.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I don’t miss it as I still play it 5-6 times a week.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

I don’t play it anymore but I still miss it due to nostalgia. I hardly play GW2 these days due to having other things to do with my time.

EDIT: Nothing beats just running around pre-searing. What a beatiful place.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: JUN YANG.4328

JUN YANG.4328

i miss gw1’s class its much, much fun and better the gw2’s class

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Miss? Not really. It was a great game in its day. I played it for years, with occasional time off. Filled up my HoM and did everything I wanted to do. Now I log on about once a month to collect birthday presents and sometimes to hand minipets out to people filling up their HoM, but it’s boring now. Little things, like not being able to jump, no trading post. When I go out in the maps now, they feel dead. It’s just me and my Heroes and the map feels static. Dead. Nothing changes except a mob has walked over here instead of over there.

I’ve really gotten spoiled going out and seeing people everywhere. Events popping up all around me. A trading post where you can sell your stuff and buy what you need instead of spamming WTS/WTB in Spamadon for ages.

It’s like going home after years away and seeing how tiny and cramped your old bedroom is, and you never knew it before.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Randy Chuggs.9451

Randy Chuggs.9451

You’ll find many people that miss GW1, they’re generally veterans of it, but you’ll find more people that like GW2 more as you’re playing GW2/on a GW2 forum

I miss the second classes though. And the PvP. And the GvG and Guild Halls and everything from GW1 :p

GW1 was a great great game and I think GW2 is on the right direction but not there yet (emphasis on I think, pls no 100 angry replies)

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: DarkSpirit.7046

DarkSpirit.7046

I do. I miss my heroes.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Tom.6478

Tom.6478

I miss my hero’s as well.

But I think I miss pre the most.

I had 2 perma pre guys. It was almost a game within a game. A very different atmosphere. Easy going, lots of chat, with very different goals.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I loved GW1, but I don’t miss GW2 at all. I’ve gone back many times, to help people with various achievements for the HoM and each time… it hurts.

• Very slow combat.
  • I press [space] and …instead of jumping, I follow whatever I’m targeting.
  • No massively multiplay (unless you count the towns).
  • No TP, so you have to wait (and wait and wait) to find a buyer/seller.
  • Missions that depended on NPCs who couldn’t find a path if their life depended on it (and sometimes, their lives did).

I do miss some features: saving builds, the original mesmer class (although I like GW2’s, it’s barely related to GW1’s), and all the festivals.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: lawnpirates.8527

lawnpirates.8527

I’ve had my GW account for less than a couple of years but I never took the game seriously until GW2 added all the nice incentives from the Hall of Monuments. Unfortunately, when I bought GW, I played the game a few years too late and I’ve yet to enjoy the game like most veterans have experienced.

So no, not really.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Do i miss it? No.. not really. I had my fun with it but eventually it was time to move on. My ritualist became an engineer, her staff became a rifle and she became a charr cause…heck i dunno why but thats besides the point. I got good memories of the game, years of fun…even if i sucked balls in it. Back then i had kormir to hate now i got traherne so everything is fine. I do however miss the insane double classing and the builds you can BS together with that.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Steeldragon.7308

Steeldragon.7308

I still play it from time to time so no I don’t miss it per se. However I do miss that it’s not as active as it used to be.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

I miss some parts of it (not just features, but actual locations, atmosphere) and maybe if i had anything left to do in GW1 i would go back and do it. As it stands now there is no reason to repeat what i’ve done 8 times.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Perhaps the biggest disappointment I have with GW2 is that it is not more like GW… so, yeah, I regret that development was stopped on GW.

Anyone miss the old GW?

serenke.4806

Perhaps the biggest disappointment I have with GW2 is that it is not more like GW… so, yeah, I regret that development was stopped on GW.

Of course it’s not. The biggest “issues” people had with GW1 were what made that game unique and fun. Arenanet solved those issues and made a game that does not resemble its predecessor at all.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

The biggest issue with GW1 was lack of trading post. I basically quit because of that. I got really tired of the WTS/WTB for everything. I’d stand there for 30 minutes just trying to buy or sell something before I’d give up. If GW1 had a trading post, I might still be playing that.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: King Noob IV.3560

King Noob IV.3560

never played it never will

D/D Elementalist takes no skill but is good at everything in the game.
Mesmer is unfun to play against and does everything better than thieves.
Hoping those two get gutted with nerfs

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

I actually only bought GW about a month ago, after having played GW2 since shortly after launch. I enjoy it, but it’s a very different game to this one, and I play it for very different reasons. To me, it feels a bit like a throwback to the old (mostly single-player) rpgs I used to play ten or twenty years ago.

Give GW2 a chance as a “totally new” game. What often makes it difficult for experienced players to “get” this game is that it doesn’t really hand you many carrots to lead you around, but rather counts on you finding things of interest yourself. Where GW leads you from mission to mission and from outpost to outpost, GW2 just sends you into the wild to discover events, points of interest, skill challenges, jumping puzzles, mini dungeons, beautiful vistas, hidden chests, unknown shortcuts, … at your own leisure.

Pick a direction and start walking. Grab a bunch of gathering tools to pick up any resources you find. Observe or talk to npcs you come across, you never know when you’ll trigger a new event. Don’t just run off once an event is done. The npc involved may turn into a vendor offering interesting goods, or another event may follow to continue the chain and story.

Go to different areas to find equipment skins to fill out your wardrobe, and explore areas fully to gain transmutation charges to transmute the content of your wardrobe unto your equipment. Unfog maps to unlock waypoints and gain exploration achievements. Find events and locations that unlock traits that you may equip to shape your build later on in the game (level 30+). Poke your nose into dungeons (again, level 30+) to face a totally new level of challenge.

What you will find in GW2 if you have played GW will be a lot of names and history you knew back in the day. Even though I did it the other way around, I was excited to meet characters in pre-searing that I’ve known from the very first story dungeon in this game. Currently I’m looking for Oola’s lab in GW, a place I already found (hidden away) in GW2. I’m really curious what the place was like back when Oola was working in it.

GW and GW2, while sharing a common history, are fairly different gameplay wise. Once you dive in, you will see the similarities, too, but don’t expect GW2 to be just like GW. It’s built on the lore and some of the core ideas of the old game, but it’s its own game, not a clone of anything older.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

I miss the original Guild Wars. I would play it more but when I do, it just defeats the purpose for me knowing there will never be any more content updates for that game.

When I first heard of Guild Wars 2 I got excited, thought it would be Guild Wars 1, just with an open world, turns out it was the exact opposite. Regardless of what I feel, I am happy that people are currently enjoying the game though.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: IEximius.9204

IEximius.9204

Permadeath making missions/elite areas hard. Yes, I miss it greatly.

Build templates.

Heroes ascent pvp

massive skill list – even though a lot were junk and weren’t really ideal to use, there were so many different builds to run depending on the situation for farming, missions, elite areas, speed clears etc, it was fun to use them all, and fun to be able to have two professions to make even higher utilization out of them

it just seems like gw2 is such a watered down mmo with little to no consequence of anything, but in return, we get so much trash loot ..no risk, no reward.

Anyone miss the old GW?

DarkSpirit.7046

Yup I find Mike O’Brien’s MMO Manifesto Trailer (i.e. advertisement for GW2) amusing right about now:

Mike O’Brien: “We founded ArenaNet to innovate, so Guild Wars 2 is our opportunity to question everything, to make a game that defies existing conventions. If you love MMOs, you’ll want to check out Guild Wars 2, and if you hate MMOs, you’ll really want to check out Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 2 takes everything you love about Guild Wars 1 and puts it into a persistent world that’s got more active combat, a fully-branching, personalized storyline, a new event system to get people playing together, and still no monthly fees.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/ArenaNet%27s_MMO_Manifesto_trailer

Anyone miss the old GW?

serenke.4806

Well, the manifesto is true. Everything you love about Guild Wars 1 (minus the lore, most mechanics, features… the name remained anyway), combat IS more active, the event system is new.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: tramwajarz.2369

tramwajarz.2369

I miss GW1 however for me the game lost its magic atmosphere.
It was great those days but today it’s extremely dated.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

I miss the pvp from gw1. Gvg. Random arena, hoh, FA, AB… Ahh

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Not. At. All.

Gone to Reddit.

Anyone miss the old GW?

DarkSpirit.7046

Well, the manifesto is true. Everything you love about Guild Wars 1 (minus the lore, most mechanics, features… the name remained anyway), combat IS more active, the event system is new.

Everything you love about Guild Wars 1 including the deeper build system, wait that’s not true! The heroes, wait no heroes! The build saving feature, wait no build saving feature! …blah blah blah…

Here you go, a WoW-lookalike.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Miss GW1? Uh no….cause it’s still installed and I simply log on whenever I have a desire to do so…

Do I miss some of its features when I’m playing GW2? Yes indeedy. Not many, but some. Maybe with time though, we’ll get some of those things (like build templates).

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I still enjoy GW1. Kinda glad they’re different otherwise it would make the original redundant to me.

I enjoy both in their own right, but GW2 has had more of my time in 3 years than GW1 has had in about 8. I find GW2 more accessible to pick up and play.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

Yeah, I do miss it very much. If it had the GW2 engine, I would still play it today

(and if only for the heroes, which could spare me the PUG’s)

I do. I miss my heroes.

Awwww, I think I remember you from the hero section of the guru forums. There used to be page-long debates where people had mostly identical hero builds except maybe 2-3 skills across all heroes, but kitten those fuelled the flames. Good times, miss that too.

Anyone miss the old GW?

DarkSpirit.7046

Yeah, I do miss it very much. If it had the GW2 engine, I would still play it today

(and if only for the heroes, which could spare me the PUG’s)

I do. I miss my heroes.

Awwww, I think I remember you from the hero section of the guru forums. There used to be page-long debates where people had mostly identical hero builds except maybe 2-3 skills across all heroes, but kitten those fuelled the flames. Good times, miss that too.

I miss that. Coming up with a team build in GW1 was part of the fun.

I feel so helpless in GW2, always asking people in the map to help me with this and that group event. Sometimes, people don’t want to help and even dissuaded others from helping me:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Punished-for-Temple-Defense-events/first#post4970650

I do miss my heroes…

GW1: You are a commander of an elite group of heroes!
GW2: You are merely Trahearne’s side kick with no real power. But maybe we would get to usurp him as the leader of the Pact in HoT after he has fallen under the dragon’s influence and we get to kill him.

(edited by DarkSpirit.7046)

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I miss GvG from GW1 and the better build variety for elementalist, specially the elites that were doing something.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

Love that thing. Strangely enough lot of it is because of combat/battles (heroes of course included) which is not the case… ever anywhere else too much.
I pretty much only play ritualists with spirits, avoiding directly attacking anything by myself. I’m often just watching how things are going. I like to think my heroes know what they are doing with what skills I have for them… it tends to be messy but still awesome. Or beautifully horrible.

I also love items in that game. Especially the randomly generated (if that is the correct term) weapons. And the farm for festival items.

let the sky fall

(edited by Traced.3495)

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

I miss that. Coming up with a team build in GW1 was part of the fun.

I feel so helpless in GW2, always asking people in the map to help me with this and that group event. Sometimes, people don’t want to help and even dissuaded others from helping me:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Punished-for-Temple-Defense-events/first#post4970650

I do miss my heroes…

GW1: You are a commander of an elite group of heroes!
GW2: You are merely Trahearne’s side kick with no real power. But maybe we would get to usurp him as the leader of the Pact in HoT after he has fallen under the dragon’s influence and we get to kill him.

Indeed, being able to work out a skill synergy over 8×8 skills was totally awesome, not to mention the more “creative” individual builds such as the ER ele, necro with rit heal skills and so on.

While I do like the trait system in GW2, the way the actual skills are locked/limited never quite made me happy the way Build Wars 1 did

Maybe in GW3 then…

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

i dont miss gw1, since im still playing it along side with gw2
i had some breaks in the past but now days its quite easy to do all the nice daily things (not just the achievements) i can do in gw2 and still manage to do stuff in gw1

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: hrasna.3017

hrasna.3017

I’ve played GW1 since it came out, and my kids and I still play it. We haven’t explored the whole world there yet because it’s so big!

What I don’t miss AT ALL, is being forced to walk on a path, like our characters are on a roller coaster or a kiddie-train.

-Chris

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

I miss it so much! I recently have gone back and played a bit and man I feel it is so much better than GW2.

And I actually like the combat more! Although I do keep pressing the space bar and trying to jump lol.

PvE is fun. You can plan out your encounters, pull enemies, etc. In GW2 I just feel like its too easy – I mean in a group, one (or more) people can just stand there and auto attack and it doesn’t really make a difference.

I just wish people still played Ft. Aspenwood. That was so fun.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Elorna.5329

Elorna.5329

I miss some of the features of GW1 in GW2, like the interrupt/protection/body blocking combat mechanics, or skill templates, etc. I don’t actually miss the game itself, since it’s still installed on my computer and I play it from time to time.

The greatest freedom is the freedom not to get involved.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I miss it sometimes. Then I log in and play it.

It is a brilliant game and different from GW2 in a lot of ways. Whenever I play it again I’m reminded of all the things I love about it. But I also find myself frustrated at all the things that are so much better in GW2.

On balance I think having both works well for me, as well as having a whole bunch of other, different games, so I can pick whichever I feel like playing.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

I played GW2 for (including betas) two years before I bought GW1. I bought it both for the HoM, and to see and experience ANet’s past and why people enjoyed it so. I still love and play both games, for different reasons.

Even though most skills were not useful, there was still a bit more build variety in the meta than GW2 (even though I understand the balancing difficulty). I really enjoy the challenge that GW1 PvE has, and really look forward to finally getting down how to beat UW and DoA. The combat is very different, and a bit dated, but I don’t mind and really like the strategic aspects of it.

I like GW2 for the active combat, for the fun chaos that is WvW roaming, and being able to form ad-hoc groups to tackle things out in the world.

I’m glad for heroes in GW1, but I don’t miss them in GW2. I wasn’t very bothered by the lack of build templates, until I played GW1 and saw how great they were. I don’t mind the lack of jumping in GW1, but I miss being able to dodge (sidestepping to avoid a projectile is not the same).

They’re both beautiful games. Even with GW1’s dated graphics, many areas are just amazingly done. Now that’s I’ve done most of my titles, I can take the time to just look. Outside the Eye of the North, some of the asura lands, nearly all of the Jade Sea, parts of Istan, parts of Shing Jea Island, the mossy parts of Sorrow’s Furnace, parts of Echovald, The Falls, Marga Coast, and even parts of the Realm of Torment simply still look amazing. I can’t play GW2 in anything but mostly-low graphics, but even at those “toaster” levels, it still looks really good and varied.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

I do and I don’t. I played from the beginning, so by the time GW2 came along, I was ready for something new. Then I experienced some system shock at how different 2 was from 1 and took a break, played Civ5 for a while. When I came back, I think enough time had passed since I played GW1 that I was more comfortable playing GW2.

I would have a hard time going back to GW1 now.

(edited by DeanBB.4268)

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Aer.3970

Aer.3970

The original game came out around the same time as WoW, so although I bought it, I gravitated towards the latter to be with my friends. In the short time before that happened I was sadly never able to get my head around the mechanics of Prophecies.

I got the CE of Factions and Nightfall when my retailer of choice at the time had them for sale. I wanted to explore the world, which I thought was stunningly good, especially Factions. Hearing about the Jade Sea made me want to see it. Sadly the fact that I was basically playing alone and getting trounced by the large packs of mobs in GW1 kind of put me off and I never got far in either campaign.

When GW2 came out I picked up EotN for some HoM points and a friend has been taking me through Factions just so I can experience it (and I really want to get to 13 points). Sadly he doesn’t have Prophecies and doesn’t want to play through Nightfall. I still don’t really have any idea what I’m doing as the whole gearing system is a complete enigma to me. I pick up a staff and have no idea if it’s good or bad for my playstyle, or what to do with the miscellaneous clutter I’ve been acquiring (Salvage? Sell? Keep?). I’ve got some Heroes, but I have no idea how to gear or build them.

Not sure what I’ll do when I finish Factions. I really want to experience the lore and storyline behind Proph+Nightfall, but I suspect I’ll find myself overwhelmed again without my friend.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

The original game came out around the same time as WoW, so although I bought it, I gravitated towards the latter to be with my friends. In the short time before that happened I was sadly never able to get my head around the mechanics of Prophecies.

I got the CE of Factions and Nightfall when my retailer of choice at the time had them for sale. I wanted to explore the world, which I thought was stunningly good, especially Factions. Hearing about the Jade Sea made me want to see it. Sadly the fact that I was basically playing alone and getting trounced by the large packs of mobs in GW1 kind of put me off and I never got far in either campaign.

When GW2 came out I picked up EotN for some HoM points and a friend has been taking me through Factions just so I can experience it (and I really want to get to 13 points). Sadly he doesn’t have Prophecies and doesn’t want to play through Nightfall. I still don’t really have any idea what I’m doing as the whole gearing system is a complete enigma to me. I pick up a staff and have no idea if it’s good or bad for my playstyle, or what to do with the miscellaneous clutter I’ve been acquiring (Salvage? Sell? Keep?). I’ve got some Heroes, but I have no idea how to gear or build them.

Not sure what I’ll do when I finish Factions. I really want to experience the lore and storyline behind Proph+Nightfall, but I suspect I’ll find myself overwhelmed again without my friend.

Try this forum for help on Guild Wars 1.
http://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars/
And this one, it’s not real active but it’s not dead either.
http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Jenstone.6891

Jenstone.6891

I played GW from just before the first birthday to a few months before GW2 launched. I loved the game for what it is. But do I miss it? Yeah… not so much.
It is the first online game I ever played, achieved a lot more than ever thought I would. I do miss the pre-searing area, that place was/is just beautiful. I worked pretty hard for the Defender of Ascalon. Played through all three campaigns and EoTN. I go back again, every once in a great while, to look around.
But as much as I enjoyed it, I prefer GW2 much better.
I believe it to be a much better game, even for all issues it may or may not have.
At times I miss not having hero’s, but in GW2, we don’t really need them.
Other times, I miss the expansiveness of the game, all of the massive maps to discover and explore.
And I even miss having the ability to have a really strange and wacky build.
But I don’t miss the elitism that I found, the clunky game play(now it seems clunky), WTS/WTT in Spamdon and a few other items.
I liked the game for what it was.
Just like I like GW2 for what it is.
I have moved on.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Scipio.3204

Scipio.3204

I miss the game, but I can’t get myself to play it anymore. I would still play PvP, but most of the modes are empty. On the PvE side, no one I knew back then is active, and I already completed everything I could…. and I just can’t enjoy it as much knowing the game has zero future.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

I miss the PvP especially AB, FA, and JQ…I wish I could do a match without being with bots on both teams…

I’m currently working on my paragon and warrior getting them some titles but it’s sad for me to play alone when I almost exclusively partied with other people.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: Akrib.4297

Akrib.4297

I do miss GW, don’t get me wrong GW2 is a great game but the original GW just had that depth that nothing has been able to recreate. When you go out to explore you were actually out on your own, no WP and what not. You would spend over an hour getting to some of those locations, and you would probably only visit them once but that feeling of being so far out just really added depth to the game among many other factors.

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

I do miss GW, don’t get me wrong GW2 is a great game but the original GW just had that depth that nothing has been able to recreate. When you go out to explore you were actually out on your own, no WP and what not. You would spend over an hour getting to some of those locations, and you would probably only visit them once but that feeling of being so far out just really added depth to the game among many other factors.

Yeah I agree. Places like Ice Tooth Cave, Grendich Courthouse, Fisherman’s Haven, the Ice Imp cave in Mineral Spring, the Temple of Grenth in Lornar’s Pass…

Anyone miss the old GW?

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Not really. It was fun back then, but GW2 is leagues better in certain aspects.