Guild Wars 2 April fools 2015 [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wildkitten.3872

Wildkitten.3872

i also think that this joke is not so fun for Germany what was happening not so long time back with Germanwings

There are rifles and pistols in this game. How many people die every day from gunshots? There are ongoing wars in this game. How many people are affected by real wars? if you eliminate evening from a game that might offend, upset, our cause discomfort, you’ll end up with. .. well, judging by the number of “I’m offended” posts on the forum… a very bland, boring, pointless game.

You would actually end up with no game at all. If people like the OP had their way, people could never have a moment of happiness or joy ever again.

Jaina Kitten, Level 80 Elementalist, Main
Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Tregarde.6031

Tregarde.6031

Personally, I had a good time running around. I remember when having airplane arms was an infrequent bug, and now they turned it into an April Fool joke. Even added sound effects and aviator helmet.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

The best medicine is laughter.

The healing properties of seething contempt are highly underrated.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Tregarde.6031

Tregarde.6031

I found it rather amusing. Yes, it would be nice to be able to turn it off, but for now I’m going to enjoy it.
~makes airplane noises and runs off~

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

And did anyone think about penguins? They can’t fly at all, and here we are acting like it’s just something that’s SO easy to do! Insensitive jerks! #Checkyourprivilege!
And Komodo dragons? They can’t live up to the impossible body image the dragons in this game portray! #HAES
It’s a good thing there are no cars in this game. I know a few people that died in those, and I’d hate to be triggered. #IhaveaterriblydepressinglifebecauseIcanonlyseenegativelinksevenwhentherearenone

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Wildkitten.3872

The outstretched arms, well, if that annoys you or anyone else, you should really seek counseling, and I mean that in all sincerity because it shows you have deep issues to let a simple few pixels being outstretched in a game bother you.

Thanks so much for your professional diagnosis, doctor.

Because, that is exactly the part that irritates me.

Funny, because other people in my guild have more of an issue with the hat, which I would have thought would be slightly less of a problem, visually speaking, than permanently outstretched arms.

But still, what would I know?

You’re the doctor…

All we are asking for is the option to switch it off, after a while, that’s all.

It shouldn’t be a big deal – other games companies manage it, so why not ANet?

You mean option like Post Processing which does in fact turn off the most obvious parts?

And sorry, but really, if you are bothered by pixels being outstretched in a game, you really do have issues. Don’t need to be a doctor to know it, merely have common sense.

No, I obviously don’t mean that, do I?

Did you read my post, at all?

I don’t want to play with my char’s arms permanently outstretched, in the same way that some people, apparently, don’t want to play in a hat.

I’m not going to lose sleep over it, but I just don’t feel like playing like that.

That is my opinion, it is a perfectly reasonable opinion and I am entitled to it.

Yep, even the most immature, entitlement mentality individuals have a right to their opinion. Fortunately so do people with common sense.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

Personally, I had a good time running around. I remember when having airplane arms was an infrequent bug, and now they turned it into an April Fool joke. Even added sound effects and aviator helmet.

It was one of the funniest bug during beta.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CunHb3TJsg

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

When I first logged on, I didn’t think “plane” I thought cross, or someone nailed to a cross. Given the holiday coming up, I could see a lot of people finding this offensive.

Correct me if I’m wrong (as I havn’t really gone through the entire ToS), is there not something in there about religion or religious names or even slander? I mean if we can’t even elude to certain things that go against the ToS, how exactly can they put something like this forth (if Religious depictions are indeed against the ToS)?

If someone logs into the game and it appears to them that their character is nailed to cross, does this not go against their very ToS?

For the love of God I hope you are kidding. It is a plane. Just because you see something else doesn’t make it true. Relax.

Not kidding actually. It’s just what I noticed when I first logged on. I don’t listen to in-game music so I couldn’t hear the plane sounds. So it appeared as if my character was floating around crucified. I could care less either way, I don’t find it offensive, but I can easily see those who are religious can find it quite offensive given the holiday coming up.

Posted by: godz raiden.2631

godz raiden.2631

I live close enough to Langley AFB that I hear jets flying over multiple times a day. I would hate to see anybody who is truly this sensitive try and live near an Air Force Base or Airport. How could you even function with aircraft forcing their rude and bigoted sounds into your ear-holes!

Godz Raiden (Thief)
Maguuma

Posted by: Mighty Assasin.3816

Mighty Assasin.3816

Do you really believe Arena Net released this April fools joke in reference to the plane crashing? Holy kitten, everyone is so sensitive, they clearly didn’t get together discussing the recent news and attempt to make humor out of it. People are such morons, it’s clearly a joke they do it all the time, they’re not insensitive, people are too sensitive, taking everything personally.

Lite
The Prestige [pTg]
Twitch.tv/Lite_lite

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

The outstretched arms, well, if that annoys you or anyone else, you should really seek counseling, and I mean that in all sincerity because it shows you have deep issues to let a simple few pixels being outstretched in a game bother you.

Funny, because other people in my guild have more of an issue with the hat, which I would have thought would be slightly less of a problem, visually speaking, than permanently outstretched arms.

You’re the doctor…

All we are asking for is the option to switch it off, after a while, that’s all.

You mean option like Post Processing which does in fact turn off the most obvious parts?

And sorry, but really, if you are bothered by pixels being outstretched in a game, you really do have issues. Don’t need to be a doctor to know it, merely have common sense.

I don’t want to play with my char’s arms permanently outstretched, in the same way that some people, apparently, don’t want to play in a hat.

I’m not going to lose sleep over it, but I just don’t feel like playing like that.

That is my opinion, it is a perfectly reasonable opinion and I am entitled to it.

Yep, even the most immature, entitlement mentality individuals have a right to their opinion. Fortunately so do people with common sense.

What on earth is your problem?

How does my opinion on this even affect you?

Even if they gave us an option to switch stuff like this off, you could still leave yours on, if you wanted, so who is the entitled one?

You, or me?

You’re the one who is trying to foist this on all of us and insist we are given no way out of it.

Even though it would not affect you adversely, in the slightest, if we were.

How immature and selfish is that?

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: quietscribe.1573

quietscribe.1573

While I found the april fool’s joke amusing for the first say, 2 minutes, not being able to relog and turn it off was annoying.

I will say, in response to the OP, that I did find it in slightly poor taste considering the recent number of plane crashes, especially considering the number of insensitive comments about plane crashes on map chat I was seeing as a result of the april fool.

These events might well have been planned months in advance by the dev team, but that doesn’t really mean they shouldn’t have a backup plan. Last year’s april fool was great, so great in fact that they made an item that had the same effect. This year, I will be waiting to log back in when the event is finished. I don’t like the visual effect or the thoughtless/insensitive/nasty comments being put about in the game during it.

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

It should be pretty self-explanatory for any game developer that you should 100% NEVER force your players to engage in something that is a temporary event, specifically for a holiday, unless they want to.

Citation needed.

Posted by: Matlocktv.2670

Matlocktv.2670

I agree that this was a bad idea. A friend and I were set to play our weekly when we log on to see this. I love the game for the visuals and discovering new areas. This joke kills that. You just had a big event at PAX and had a huge sale on the game at the same time to recruit new gamers. Guess what those guys get today? My friend and I both logged immediately, angry that they did this crap. This joke insults the game IMHO.

(edited by Matlocktv.2670)

Wildkitten.3872

You’re the doctor…

Even if they gave us an option to switch stuff like this off, you could still leave your on, if you wanted, so who is the entitled one?

You, or me?

Who is the one complaining about what Anet does to THEIR game, you or me? Oh, that would be you. Who is the one who let’s pixel arms being outstretched bother them even though during normal gameplay it’s not noticeable, you or me? Once again, that would be you.

The simple fact of the matter every year on every MMO people complain about the April Fool’s gags. People such as yourself simply are incapable of relaxing and enjoying the joke.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

Citation needed.

“You should 100% NEVER force your players to engage in something that is a temporary event, specifically for a holiday, unless they want to.” -Dragon.8612

Posted by: Castitalus.6359

Castitalus.6359

As for the role players, Anet created this game to push THEIR storyline. I am sure they have no problem with others writing their own personal stories and acting them out, but they still have to do so in the context of what is going on in the game. During Halloween RPers are “forced” to deal with Mad King Thorn in LA, do you object to that as well? Or the hover peppermints for Wintersday.

I had no idea that Rpers were confined to Rp around the statue in LA all the time.

Tigaseye.2047

You’re the doctor…

Even if they gave us an option to switch stuff like this off, you could still leave your on, if you wanted, so who is the entitled one?

You, or me?

Who is the one complaining about what Anet does to THEIR game, you or me? Oh, that would be you. Who is the one who let’s pixel arms being outstretched bother them even though during normal gameplay it’s not noticeable, you or me? Once again, that would be you.

The simple fact of the matter every year on every MMO people complain about the April Fool’s gags. People such as yourself simply are incapable of relaxing and enjoying the joke.

OK, you’re boring me now.

Moving on…

…and in case you hadn’t noticed, we are their customers.

This isn’t their private little game.

We pay for it.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

I blame the lawyers for everyone being an entitled child.

Disclaimer: to any lawyers that may read this post I live in Sweden and have no fixed address.

Posted by: Drako Dragonis.5806

Drako Dragonis.5806

You know, when the April fools thing started, I didn’t like it. But after playing for a few hours, it grew on me. Hope it becomes a turn off/on feature or a tonic or something :P Bravo A-net, Bravo! ^.=.~

Posted by: Sidius.8367

Sidius.8367

I just wish they would stop this, i cannot even play. It is like they want me to go to another game.

Nokaru.7831

“You should 100% NEVER force your players to engage in something that is a temporary event, specifically for a holiday, unless they want to.” -Dragon.8612

Thank you.

Wildkitten.3872

You’re the one who is trying to foist this on all of us and insist we are given no way out of it.

Did I make the game? No, so I can’t be foisting it off on you.

How dare Anet foist only a choice of Mesmers and Rangers and Elementalists and Thieves and Engineers and Guadians and Warriors on us. I want to play as a Paladin and a Monk!!!!

You get things “foisted” on you all the time. This is a MINOR thing. The most obvious affects are able to be turned off. The two things that can’t be you never even notice if you play the game as intended, and yet you still go on about it.

The way you complain it’s like you feel Anet should come to beg your approval for anything they do to the game.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Nidarrock.5692

Nidarrock.5692

Have to agree, I enjoyed it. My family was laughing constantly all night while playing. Looking forward to flying around more tomorrow.

Thanks for the April fool’s joke, looking forward to next year’s.

Wildkitten.3872

You’re the doctor…

You, or me?

OK, you’re boring me now.

Moving on…

…and in case you hadn’t noticed, we are their customers.

This isn’t their private little game.

We pay for it.

Yes, as am I, and I love what they decided to do as are most of the people.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: shinreigari.7318

shinreigari.7318

Since i logged in and saw this april’s fool stuff, and since i first heard my big bad female charr warrior make those sounds, i can’t stop smirking.
However, after a few minutes of playing, it hit me – what about the recent plane crashes? So i came up to the forums to see if there are already topics about how bad this joke is. TBH i expected less topics than there are. It is just a joke, but not a very well-timed one. The main problem with it is: it’s TOO SOON.

Although i think it’s funny, i can understand it completely that those affected by the recent tragedies find it offensive or insensitive. I know if someone in my family would have died in one of those crashes, i would just burst out in tears the moment i saw what this year’s april’s fool was about and then couldn’t relog for a few days maybe. It would be just one more thing to reming me of a loved one’s absence. I wouldn’t care that it refers to another era’s airplanes and i wouldn’t give a kitten about how other ppl think i “shouldn’t be offended” – feeling bad because of it would not be a choice but simply a reaction.

Tigaseye.2047

How dare Anet foist only a choice of Mesmers and Rangers and Elementalists and Thieves and Engineers and Guadians and Warriors on us. I want to play as a Paladin and a Monk!!!!

You get things “foisted” on you all the time. This is a MINOR thing. The most obvious affects are able to be turned off. The two things that can’t be you never even notice if you play the game as intended, and yet you still go on about it.

The way you complain it’s like you feel Anet should come to beg your approval for anything they do to the game.

I refer you to my previous post.

We are customers.

We have a right to our opinions.

If you don’t like customers voicing their opinions, I suggest you find something else to read, because this place will get on your nerves.

Wildkitten.3872

As for the role players, Anet created this game to push THEIR storyline. I am sure they have no problem with others writing their own personal stories and acting them out, but they still have to do so in the context of what is going on in the game. During Halloween RPers are “forced” to deal with Mad King Thorn in LA, do you object to that as well? Or the hover peppermints for Wintersday.

I had no idea that Rpers were confined to Rp around the statue in LA all the time.

Some RPers in their RP only go certain places. Obviously you feel that things RPers may be affected by shouldn’t be changed. Why is that? Why should RPers have such a huge say on what is put into the game?

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

We kill humans in this game. Should Anet close the servers every time there’s a school shooting? Of course not. This is a game try to remember that.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Wildkitten.3872

We are customers.

If you don’t like customers voicing their opinions, I suggest you find something else to read, because this place will get on your nerves.

And I will refer you to my post above.

I too am a customer. Most people love this. Only a few vocal entitlement mentality people don’t. If you don’t like the fact that other customers do like it and will support it bother you, I suggest you find something else to read, because I will get on your nerves.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Ekliane.5476

Ekliane.5476

Firstly, thanks for being so articulate— at least you’re calmly stating things.

Now, I kinda agree about not forcing players ; I do enjoy my characters’s esthetics, but since April’s fools in about pranking people, It’s not such a terrible thing to bear (especially when you disable the filter) and its still better than the bobbleheads !

As a frenchy, I didn’t even connected the dots with the Alps tragedy ( I was actually much more in a Amelia Earhart feel/old movies), but I can get why you’d be upset. Now I don’t think Anet intended to offense anyone (not an excuse, I know).

So many players are bothered by April Fools, and well… It does look petty and makes me think a lot of them are complaining for the tiniest thing. It’s just for a day However, I agree the amusement tend to wear off. Perhaps Anet could make it fade after a while ?

Game designer. And i am the prince of Wakanda.

Can’t wait to see your movie, mate.

Posted by: Merlot.8567

Merlot.8567

Since i logged in and saw this april’s fool stuff, and since i first heard my big bad female charr warrior make those sounds, i can’t stop smirking.
However, after a few minutes of playing, it hit me – what about the Titanic? So i came up to the forums to see if there are already topics about how bad this joke is. TBH i expected less topics than there are. It is just a joke, but not a very well-timed one.

Although i think it’s funny, i can understand it completely that those affected by the film18 years ago find it offensive or insensitive. I know if someone in my family would have died on a ship, i would just burst out in tears the moment i saw what this year’s april’s fool was about and then couldn’t relog for a few days maybe. It would be just one more thing to reming me of a loved one’s absence. I wouldn’t care that it refers to another era’s ships and i wouldn’t give a kitten about how other ppl think i “shouldn’t be offended” – feeling bad because of it would not be a choice but simply a reaction.

Do not let the GW2 forums become the new Tumblr!

Posted by: HanaFujii.3528

HanaFujii.3528

So last year was so great was it? Have you ever heard of hydrocephalus? Go ahead and google it if you have to. There are children suffering from this and it makes their heads swell. Tell me now that plane crashes are more important than those children. Oh, but I guess they just aren’t in the media enough, right?

My point is that there wasn’t any outrage last year because it’s a game and doesn’t have any bearing on events in the real world.

But if you really want to go into similarities, how about the Zephyrite airships crashing on fire and the Hindenburg?

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

This thread is stupid and needs to be locked. Grow a thicker skin, thanks.

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

Yea, this is really bad taste and extremely untimely.

I feel the joke would have gone over better had the game reverted to its normal settings after the initial login per character. As it stands I won’t be logging in until it reverts back. Not because of the blatant insensitivity, I frankly dislike having my character frozen in place making “weee!” sounds all night.

Posted by: KhanKatir.4038

KhanKatir.4038

Definitely in poor taste.

I expected better from Anet.

Bobbleheads, yeah. GW1 antics, yeah. “Hey, I’m Malasia Air, or Germanwings, vroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!”

No.

I don’t care how long it was planned, developers had a choice to implement or not in knowing current events. It was certainly the first thing to come to my mind after a few minutes of the prank.

That’s what tragedies tend to do.

Pretending the air tragedies didn’t happen, 15 minutes? Funny prank. Log out and log back in, same thing for an hour?

Grating and irritating.

Castitalus.6359

Some RPers in their RP only go certain places. Obviously you feel that things RPers may be affected by shouldn’t be changed. Why is that? Why should RPers have such a huge say on what is put into the game?

Rpers can chose where they rp at any given time. Rpers don’t have a huge say on what is put into the game (town clothes tonics) but that doesn’t mean that people should have this forced on them. This was amusing for a few minutes, but it grew old. Big surprise that the joke can’t carry itself for a day.

Tigaseye.2047

We are customers.

I too am a customer. Most people love this. Only a few vocal entitlement mentality people don’t. If you don’t like the fact that other customers do like it and will support it bother you, I suggest you find something else to read, because I will get on your nerves.

Yes, we are both customers.

We are both equally entitled to our opinions.

The only difference is that my suggestion would NOT adversely affect you in the slightest.

Whereas, your suggestion (that we should just suck it up, basically) DOES adversely affect me.

See the difference?

I DO like the fact that some other people like it and I want them to continue to be able to enjoy it.

I DON’T like the fact that some people don’t like it (and can’t remove it) and I want them to be given a, purely personal, optional opt-out.

Clear enough for you?

Nokaru.7831

I think an Opt-Out button is a great idea. On April Fools, it should make your character explode!

Posted by: Searing Flair.2615

Searing Flair.2615

joke was so annoying that i just logged off .. not even gonna do daily’s because of it … so off putting …. jokes are fun …but this don’t feel like a joke at all.. completely random and pointless … if thear was a way to turn it of that would be fine ….. would of been better to make us all look like we was playing gw1… but thanks A-NET!! gives me more time to go play something else

Posted by: MAGpie.7962

MAGpie.7962

OMG! Anet! Huge WIN! This year was awesome! Its so funny! I can’t stop running around!

Posted by: Merlot.8567

Merlot.8567

. “Hey, I’m Malasia Air, or Germanwings, vroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!”

Yes I am sure that’s EXACTLY what they were going for.

You people are amazing. I bet you’re great fun irl.

Do not let the GW2 forums become the new Tumblr!

Wildkitten.3872

Rpers can chose where they rp at any given time. Rpers don’t have a huge say on what is put into the game (town clothes tonics) but that doesn’t mean that people should have this forced on them. This was amusing for a few minutes, but it grew old. Big surprise that the joke can’t carry itself for a day.

Changes in events can affect RPers too. Should Anet take that into consideration before changing events? I have little doubt that the tower in Kessex Hills Scarlett’s forced built and the ensuing destruction of the area ruined someone’s RP. Should that not have happened either, because it was “forced” on everyone.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

WTB a -1 button, thanks.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

2. Movie grain (sepia overlay)

• Options > Graphic Options > Postprocessing > None (Low remove the sephia but keeps the the grain)

Good catch. I was wondering why I didn’t seeing the sepia effect – I normally run with that turned off.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Castitalus.6359

Changes in events can affect RPers too. Should Anet take that into consideration before changing events? I have little doubt that the tower in Kessex Hills Scarlett’s forced built and the ensuing destruction of the area ruined someone’s RP. Should that not have happened either, because it was “forced” on everyone.

I had no idea that rpers were confined to Rp around Kessex Hills.

Wildkitten.3872

We are customers.

Yes, we are both customers.

We are both equally entitled to our opinions.

The only difference is that my suggestion would NOT adversely affect you in the slightest.

Whereas, your suggestion (that we should just suck it up, basically) DOES adversely affect me.

See the difference?

I DO like the fact that some other people like it and I want them to continue to be able to enjoy it.

I DON’T like the fact that some people don’t like it (and can’t remove it) and I want them to be given a, purely personal, optional opt-out.

Clear enough for you?

Yes, it’s very clear to me that you have no concept of what Aprils Fools is, how Guild Wars, and every other MMO handles things, and that your life is so adversely affected that your characters arms have to be outstretched for a few hours one time has got you so worked up.

Yes, it’s very clear.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: abbetd.5912

abbetd.5912

As a game designer, you should understand that you will always offend somebody, somewhere. You should also understand that this patch was conceived and much of its development done before the tragic plane crash.

As I said in another thread, there are guns in this game, while people are affected by gun violence daily. There is war in this game, though people are affected by war all over the world. There is death, while people lose loved ones in their real life. If you exclude everything that might cause discomfort, you’ll end up with an empty, boring game.

Posted by: Rannith.9068

Rannith.9068

still not fixed? back to bioshoick infinite then

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I’m really finding myself more and more amused by this. I have added to my deaths immensely just from jumping off of Rata Sum to hear the music. I think it’s a good prank, and funny, and I wish /plane was a real emote in-game that would make you do that for a brief period. Thanks for the laugh, ANET!

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?