At this point is anyone even surprised?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

They can’t charge you for fixes. They can charge you for gems to buy hairstyle.

/thread

…hey Maybe they should experiment /w some Gem-Store “Kickstarters” to fix Bugs?
Let the players directly influence priorities finally instead of letting fluff decide it…

THIS! SO MUCH THIS!

Attachments:

Posted by: KingClash.3186

KingClash.3186

Erm…. so as long as only like 5-10% of the players have issues with this game it’s ok if ANET doesn’t fix it?
Whoever uses this argument, I wish sth happens with characters you play and ANET doesn’t fix them EVER. How can you be such kittens? You all should request ANET to fix EVERY issue, not only the ones that affect majority of people. When Collin says “we have no intention of adding&+/fixing sth cause our statistics says there are only 15% of the players that use that race/class” there should be a bunch of "BOOOOO"s from the audience, not bunch of head nods in a sign of approval.

^This a million times this.

Anet needs to get it drilled into their heads that its better to have quality over quantity the game was rushed out the door and launched without being completed yet they refuse to polish the game on any real level (compare all of GW2’s patch notes with games like Rift or WoW, just 1 year)

Sure they “fix” a bug here and there but they never really make the game itself improve in minor areas that would show pride in their craft.

And the whole working by the statistics thing is ridiculous only 15% of players approx would play a charr/engi (I dont for the clipping reasons, funny eh?) so there isn’t a reason to polish them? Really? Look at all the polish legendaries have gotten even though only the 1% have them. smh.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

lol, clipping issues/etc. isn’t why MOST people aren’t playing a Charr engineer.

So you managed to ask everyone who plays the game and is not playing a charr character how they feel on the subject?

Impressive.

I don’t know. I seem to remember reading stuff about humans in most MMOs being the most played race. I’m pretty sure that the further something diverges from a human, the less people play it.

I should try to find the references, but it’s late.

All I know is that I’ve seen quite a few comments from people who said they rerolled their charr because of all the clipping issues (mostly tail and horns/main) and armor stretching over the last year.

I’m am in no delusions that these comments represent any sort of majority or even a minority but at the end of the day it doesn’t matter who plays what or what their reasoning is/was.

It’s pure laziness and they should be held accountable for it. It really is that simple. I fear the kitten storm that will take place when they make a new beastlike race (lookin at you tengu). If they can’t get it right a year after release they won’t bother getting it right in the future.

Having more work to do than you can do in a requisite amount of time does not equal laziness. It equals being understaffed. You can call them lazy if you want, but really,. how do you know? Are you suggesting they’re not hard at work on other things? And if they are hard at work, are they really lazy?

See, that’s the problem. We know they are hard at work. Making things no one wants. Like new back item #132 (which looks terrible on charr, surprise surprise).

And I call them lazy because they said it’s not worth their time to deal with the charr issues.

Charr are fugly. It goes beyond a few clipping issues, they’re a messy, (now I feel like im being racist), awkward, boring race to play.

Thanks for sticking to the discussion instead of telling a bunch of strangers your personal preferences for what you like to play in video games (which has nothing to do with the topic that’s being discussed).

Lol, you’re welcome. Touchy much? It has everything to do with the topic. I’m saying that what the op thinks is a major issue, isn’kittens a discussion forum, I can voice my opinion if I want to, thanks.

Your opinion. Yes. No one asked you how cute or ugly you think a certain race is. We’re talking about long standing bugs and design choices that have nothing to do with personal opinion.

And then there is the fact that you said they were ugly and boring just to be spiteful to the people who do like them.

Posted by: Shelledfade.6435

Shelledfade.6435

So in tomorrow’s big update we get….

Long requested cosmetic fixes for charr: zero.

Long requested cosmetic fixes for engineer kits: zero.

New hairstyles few people have asked for: Approximately thirty six.

Arena Net: “Why fix the existing content in our game when we can just add more?”

Still can’t craft precursor. Condition damage still sucks.

NEW HAIR THAT WE CAN PAY FOR THOUGH!!!

THANKS ANET!!!!!!

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Uhh… I’ve been waiting for this for quite a while. Aesthetics are important; in fact more important than hamster wheel grinding.

Pro Tip: “I don’t care about it” /=/ nobody does. Then again persistent narcissism seems to be a huge problem on these forums.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

actually , we could all make do with just stick figures and clubs

Posted by: sigmataun.4103

sigmataun.4103

Arena Net: “Why fix the existing content in our game when we can just add more?”

Yeah what a bunch of BS…you should have your subscription fee refunded. Oh wait…
people find the silliest things to complain about.

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

another worthless topic. “Anet doesn’t fix the long requested problem xy mimimi”. Obviously it’s not that easy to fix, but I guess you know more about the development of GW2 then Anet themselves. Personally I couldn’t care less and I’m quite happy with a bigger variety of options.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

another worthless topic. “Anet doesn’t fix the long requested problem xy mimimi”. Obviously it’s not that easy to fix, but I guess you know more about the development of GW2 then Anet themselves. Personally I couldn’t care less and I’m quite happy with a bigger variety of options.

I know they said months ago that those problems were low priority because they weren’t working cosmetics at all, and instead focusing their efforts on engineering and technical issues. Well, I’d call a bunch of new hair styles a cosmetic thing (along with all the back pieces and weapon sets that we’ve gotten in that time), so that excuse was clearly BS. I wouldn’t be so upset had Arena Net not had the gall to come on here, in one of my threads no less, and lie about it.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

I know they said months ago that those problems were low priority because they weren’t working cosmetics at all, and instead focusing their efforts on engineering and technical issues. Well, I’d call a bunch of new hair styles a cosmetic thing (along with all the back pieces and weapon sets that we’ve gotten in that time), so that excuse was clearly BS. I wouldn’t be so upset had Arena Net not had the gall to come on here, in one of my threads no less, and lie about it.

Got anything to back that claim up?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

If they really need to suck money out of the playerbase with new hairstyles, why not do what SWTOR did and have them as permanent unlocks in a pack? Seriously, I’m not going to pay more gems on top of the character slot when I roll an alt. This is kind of a kitten thing to do.

Maybe because SWToR charged a $15 fee to every single player for 9 months or more. And maybe because event now, SWToR’s cash shop is pay to walk. Give me a break.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

lol, clipping issues/etc. isn’t why MOST people aren’t playing a Charr engineer.

So you managed to ask everyone who plays the game and is not playing a charr character how they feel on the subject?

Impressive.

No, I’m willing to back him that something you can’t even see until AFTER you’ve made the character is not one of the big reasons for their low representation .

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Arkham Creed.7358

Yes.

It’s something we’re absolutely aware of and want to address in the future, one of my main characters is an engineer so I feel ya on this one. My poor quaggan backpack is visible like 2% of the time I play as I kit swap, never mind my weapon skins.

We’re currently focusing our engineering (programmers, not guys with net guns) resources that could work on solutions to issues like kits/skins on major systems that address issues higher priority and wider reaching like lag in large battles, LFG, custom arenas, spectator mode and so on but this issue is absolutely on our radar.

As always, please post your ideas of what you’d like to see solution wise, we love to see the fun ideas y’all come up with too!

Translation; we’re not working on cosmetic issues right now, instead focusing on the listed fixes and features. And during all that time exactly how many new cosmetic weapon and back skins did we get? I honestly lost count it was so many.

eisberg.2379

Yes.

It’s something we’re absolutely aware of and want to address in the future, one of my main characters is an engineer so I feel ya on this one. My poor quaggan backpack is visible like 2% of the time I play as I kit swap, never mind my weapon skins.

We’re currently focusing our engineering (programmers, not guys with net guns) resources that could work on solutions to issues like kits/skins on major systems that address issues higher priority and wider reaching like lag in large battles, LFG, custom arenas, spectator mode and so on but this issue is absolutely on our radar.

As always, please post your ideas of what you’d like to see solution wise, we love to see the fun ideas y’all come up with too!

Translation; we’re not working on cosmetic issues right now, instead focusing on the listed fixes and features. And during all that time exactly how many new cosmetic weapon and back skins did we get? I honestly lost count it was so many.

You are misunderstanding. The key part is their Engineering Resources, the programmers. The people who make cosmetic items are not going to the engineers or are in the engineering group, they are not going to be programmers. So the engineers working on other stuff that doesn’t fix cosmetic things have no effect on the artist who make the cosmetic stuff. The engineers priority is all that other stuff, he said nothing about their artists.

So in fact Collins did not lie at all. He said the Engineers were working on stuff like the LFG, custom arenas, ect, and we are seeing the fruits of the engineering team.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Weapon and backskins -> Art team.

Engineering -> Programming team.

I’ll admit that I’m not super familiar with the engineer/back item issue, so I might be misunderstanding the fix, but if it does require some new coding to get done (which it sounds like it does,) it stands to reason that we’d continue to get art additions. It’s not like the artists can fix an engineering problem.

Edit: Looks like Eisberg beat me to it.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Arkham Creed.7358

Tying weapon and back skins to stats, the transmutation system, the reward system, the trading post system, the data base, the preview system, the achievement system, the gem store system, the character animation system, and the dye system = programming team.

Care to try to rationalize that again? I’m sorry but if you think actually implementing the fruits of those artist’s labors isn’t an engineering issue….well, let’s just say there is no polite term for your intelligence level.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Yes.

He said they weren’t working on cosmetic issues, new content is not a problem to be addressed. Adding new hair into the game is the job of artists and requires maybe one engineer to plug them in to the existing system, customizing the equipment system for an entire class would require a team of engineers or maybe a pair working over a period of time. You’re being completely unreasonable and speaking about matters you know nothing about.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Arkham Creed.7358

Yes.

He said they weren’t working on cosmetic issues, new content is not a problem to be addressed. Adding new hair into the game is the job of artists and requires maybe one engineer to plug them in to the existing system, customizing the equipment system for an entire class would require a team of engineers or maybe a pair working over a period of time. You’re being completely unreasonable and speaking about matters you know nothing about.

They had a full year since release, not counting all the time they spent in beta, and alpha before that, to address this issue. You’re honestly telling me that nobody at Arena Net noticed this problem in all that time? The sheer level of incompetence that implies is mindboggling. Frankly this little issue should have been resolved back when they did have an entire art and engineering team set aside for the engineer; IN ALPHA.

eisberg.2379

Tying weapon and back skins to stats, the transmutation system, the reward system, the trading post system, the data base, the preview system, the achievement system, the gem store system, the character animation system, and the dye system = programming team.

Care to try to rationalize that again? I’m sorry but if you think actually implementing the fruits of those artist’s labors isn’t an engineering issue….well, let’s just say there is no polite term for your intelligence level.

You can believe whatever you want, doesn’t change the fact that Collin did not lie in that quote you gave.

The vast majority of the mods for Skyrim were done by people who are not programmers, and that is because they used the tools that programmers made. Same thing with the artits, they can make all kinds of stuff for the game using the tools that programmers made for them, and then be able to implement them, and chance are there is probably 1 specific team that deals with implementing everything in the game when it is time to be released, and probably not even the same team of engineers that are working on other things.

Also, don’t start using personal insults, all it does is take all credibility away from your post. In a debate, the one that throws the insults is always the one that is losing.

Conncept.7638

Yes.

They had a full year since release, not counting all the time they spent in beta, and alpha before that, to address this issue. You’re honestly telling me that nobody at Arena Net noticed this problem in all that time? The sheer level of incompetence that implies is mindboggling. Frankly this little issue should have been resolved back when they did have an entire art and engineering team set aside for the engineer; IN ALPHA.

Right, because that’s more important than the massive stability increases we’ve seen in all open world content and a full revamp of the WvW game mode to address stability issues there, the grouping and guild errors that’ve been addressed, or the hundreds of event bugs that we no longer deal with. Let’s not mention the condition system, an entire set of stats worthless in most of the games content, which they better be working on! >:( Or the fact that the very class you want to see receive cosmetic improvements is so broken and awkward to play, down to it’s boring and worthless class mechanic (and accompanying drawback), that it appeals to the smallest amount of player of any class in the game.

Nope, screw all that, I wanna see my backpack.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

EDIT: I am not actually surprised because I know that somewhere in their stack of papers there is something that convinces them that their game is perfect.

It is easier to add new stuff then it is to fine tune or should I say, fix, existing content/bugs. That is the mindset of anet, add enough new things and people who care about the old things will get muffled away in the noise.

Arkham Creed.7358

Yes.

Right, because that’s more important than the massive stability increases we’ve seen in all open world content and a full revamp of the WvW game mode to address stability issues there. Let’s not mention the condition system, an entire set of stats worthless in most of the games content, which they better be working on! >:( Or the fact that the very class you want to see receive cosmetic improvements has so many broken mechanics, down to it’s boring and worthless class mechanic (and accompanying drawback), that it appeals to the smallest amount of player of any class in the game.

You miss my point. I’m not saying the cosmetic problem should be more important than actual bug and balance fixes; I’m no fool. What I’m saying is…

A; if Arena Net knew what they were doing this wouldn’t have been a problem in the first place.

and

B; cosmetic or not; fixing existing content should be a higher priority than adding new content that is just going to end up broken as a result of whatever the next patch happens to be.

I call it “digging up syndrome.” In essence Arena Net has dug itself into a hole with all their buggy and broken content, and instead of climbing out of said hole they just keep digging, assuming that somehow everything will just fix itself or the problem will just go away.

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

Oh im surprised im very surprised

Jk

as for the adding existing content into the game they actually just added new content into the gem store and then god rid of an old dungeon path and replaced it. So…we’re back at square one same hairstyles unless you cough up and we lost a dungeon path

eisberg.2379

EDIT: I am not actually surprised because I know that somewhere in their stack of papers there is something that convinces them that their game is perfect.

It is easier to add new stuff then it is to fine tune or should I say, fix, existing content/bugs. That is the mindset of anet, add enough new things and people who care about the old things will get muffled away in the noise.

Well, it would be easier for the artist to add new stuff in, then it would for artists to try and fix programming -.-

eisberg.2379

Yes.

Right, because that’s more important than the massive stability increases we’ve seen in all open world content and a full revamp of the WvW game mode to address stability issues there. Let’s not mention the condition system, an entire set of stats worthless in most of the games content, which they better be working on! >:( Or the fact that the very class you want to see receive cosmetic improvements has so many broken mechanics, down to it’s boring and worthless class mechanic (and accompanying drawback), that it appeals to the smallest amount of player of any class in the game.

You miss my point. I’m not saying the cosmetic problem should be more important than actual bug and balance fixes; I’m no fool. What I’m saying is…

A; if Arena Net knew what they were doing this wouldn’t have been a problem in the first place.

and

B; cosmetic or not; fixing existing content should be a higher priority than adding new content that is just going to end up broken as a result of whatever the next patch happens to be.

I call it “digging up syndrome.” In essence Arena Net has dug itself into a hole with all their buggy and broken content, and instead of climbing out of said hole they just keep digging, assuming that somehow everything will just fix itself or the problem will just go away.

Soooo, the content artists should just sit around and do nothing till the programmers can get things fixed?

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Conncept & Eisberg, read the post I made at the bottom of the first page and you’ll understand where the problem is for the OP, and admittedly for me (I don’t use weapon kits myself but that doesn’t change the problem. I don’t have a Charr either.)

I ? Karkas.

Conncept.7638

Yes.

and

That just happens, I don’t know if you’ve ever worked on a design team. But no matter what you do, you are always going to find things after the work is done that you should have noticed before hand but didn’t, if it hadn’t been this it would have been something else. Even designers only have so much attention to give.

Personally, I kind of I wish there were more cosmetic problems such as these, maybe less of the profession issues would have made it to live, they are much more problematic in my opinion and ANet seems just as averse to addressing them.

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Maybe because SWToR charged a $15 fee to every single player for 9 months or more. And maybe because event now, SWToR’s cash shop is pay to walk. Give me a break.

Relevance? They are both currently relying on their existing customer base and not box sales, effectively reducing them both to cash shop sales.

SWTOR’s cash shop model is more friendly to consumers than GW2’s in most places because of how they’ve set up their account-wide unlocks compared to GW2’s. Mind, I’m considering the system as it currently is, compared to how it was when it was released- At release, it was a pretty serious mess of a system, but they’ve added a lot of things that make me go “I’d love it if GW2 had this”.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

(edited by Sarrs.4831)

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

…I’m fairly well speechless. That’s just not how game engines work. This is a textbook example of class-based/object-oriented programming. Depending on the engine/team, the artists (or designers, whom I admit I should have included in my previous post,) might have to do some light scripting, but that’s not even remotely comparable to coding new features. Most of the systems, like dye and animation, are certainly coded to work with any new hair style, armor skin, etc., without the need for significant new code for each skin. To do it otherwise would be a programming nightmare and an enormous waste of resources.

As a rough comparison, plugging in new skins is like filling in a Mad Lib, while fixing the back item issue is like writing a new Mad Lib. That’s a simplification, but it’s safe to say that any game expecting a large number of customization options (body, armor, gender, dye, weapons,) has been designed to make them as quick and easy to import into the game as possible. If they add something substantially new, like the Achievement Rewards interface, that takes more engineering work, but for something like adding more hair styles to the makeover kits, the engineering work should be fairly minimal, especially since they’ve already implemented the code for “____ exclusive to makeover kits and not character creation” for the exclusive hair and eye colors in the past.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Vayne.8563

Relevance? They are both currently relying on their existing customer base and not box sales, effectively reducing them both to cash shop sales.

SWTOR’s cash shop model is more friendly to consumers than GW2’s in most places because of how they’ve set up their account-wide unlocks compared to GW2’s.

The relevance is the huge influx of money for the first 9 months. There’s no way you can convince me that a game that charges a monthly fee is less profitable than one that has a cash shop…if the game has enough subscribers. If SWToR had box sales of over 2 million and most of those people paid for subscriptions, I’d say that they had a lot more income. A lot meaning A LOT.

That’s relevance. It means a bigger programming team, and more money being thrown at problems.

There’s no way you’re going to convince anyone that Anet is a bigger company than Bioware, or that NcSoft is a bigger company than EA. Bigger company means more resources to throw at problems.

Posted by: kossman.8206

kossman.8206

I just love how the new hairstyles are gem-store only…

Way to go Anet, way to go….

Wrong… 5000AP and you get a total makeover kit.

So get busy…

Sarrs.4831

The relevance is the huge influx of money for the first 9 months. There’s no way you can convince me that a game that charges a monthly fee is less profitable than one that has a cash shop…if the game has enough subscribers. If SWToR had box sales of over 2 million and most of those people paid for subscriptions, I’d say that they had a lot more income. A lot meaning A LOT.

That’s relevance. It means a bigger programming team, and more money being thrown at problems.

There’s no way you’re going to convince anyone that Anet is a bigger company than Bioware, or that NcSoft is a bigger company than EA. Bigger company means more resources to throw at problems.

So you’re saying the reason they don’t add the new hairstyles to the character creation dialogue is not a ‘decision’, but something they are incapable of doing. Granted, it might gel with some of the other nonsensical decisions they’ve made, like replacing TA F/U rather than just adding the new dungeon, and not adding account-wide WXP, but… This is a pretty terrible defense of what they’re doing.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Vayne.8563

So you’re saying the reason they don’t add the new hairstyles to the character creation dialogue is not a ‘decision’, but something they are incapable of doing. Granted, it might gel with some of the other nonsensical decisions they’ve made, like replacing TA F/U rather than just adding the new dungeon, and not adding account-wide WXP, but… This is a pretty terrible defense of what they’re doing.

Nope I’m saying that the reason companies exist is to make money. People seem to forget this. Now you’d say box sales cover everything. Well no. The game was in development for five years, during which time they paid hundreds of devs, office space, etc. The box sales usually covers the cost of the creation of the game. So where’s the profit.

In a game with monthly fees the profit often comes from monthly fees. In a game without monthly fees, profit generally comes from the cash shop…and that’s not unreasonable.

Now, if Anet wasn’t working on the game at all, and they weren’t still paying programmers, coming out with new dungeon paths and new mini games and new content for free, maybe you’d be right. But considering they’re working on the game, they need to pay programmers and electricity bills and telephone bills and rent, and corporate taxes.

If they had a subscription for the first several months they’d have an influx of coin to pay staff that they don’t have. It’s not unreasonable to think they’d want to make money.

I’m pretty sure they didn’t list their company as a non-profit organization.

Sarrs.4831

Nope I’m saying that the reason companies exist is to make money. People seem to forget this. Now you’d say box sales cover everything. Well no. The game was in development for five years, during which time they paid hundreds of devs, office space, etc. The box sales usually covers the cost of the creation of the game. So where’s the profit.

Companies do not exist to produce a profit. Companies exist to produce a product, and the profits are there to keep the lights open. If you truly believe that a company, and every worker within it is there just to make money and not to provide a service, especially in a luxury industry like video games, then you really should withdraw your patronage of that company.

In a game with monthly fees the profit often comes from monthly fees. In a game without monthly fees, profit generally comes from the cash shop…and that’s not unreasonable.

Now, if Anet wasn’t working on the game at all, and they weren’t still paying programmers, coming out with new dungeon paths and new mini games and new content for free, maybe you’d be right. But considering they’re working on the game, they need to pay programmers and electricity bills and telephone bills and rent, and corporate taxes.

If they had a subscription for the first several months they’d have an influx of coin to pay staff that they don’t have. It’s not unreasonable to think they’d want to make money.

How stupid do you think I am? Yes, I am aware of the existence of money. I am aware that people need money to survive. I am aware that ANet needs money to keep the lights on. What’s wrong with you?

I’m saying that they already have plenty of mechanics in place to generate money, like character slots and hair stylist kits, which were already in the game, and that forcing people to buy hair stylist kits for new characters is overly ambitious of them and will cause more damage when it comes to their reputation with the community that it will generate cash. 95% of the people using these new hairstyles are already cap level, so you can bet your britches that they paid for those hair stylist kits- so what harm would it be to open the hairstyles up for fresh characters?

And I’m not even suggesting that they give it up for free to everyone! I’m suggesting they offer it as an account-wide unlock, and not for free. If they had it as an 800 gem unlock I would probably cough up the gems as soon as it went live. Chances are, with the current implementation, I will never use these hairstyles on any of my characters unless I manage to pull a hair stylist kit from a Black Lion Chest. Nobody wins there- I don’t get to play around with fancy new hairs, ANet doesn’t get my money.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Vayne.8563

Companies do not exist to produce a profit. Companies exist to produce a product, and the profits are there to keep the lights open. If you truly believe that a company, and every worker within it is there just to make money and not to provide a service, especially in a luxury industry like video games, then you really should withdraw your patronage of that company.

How stupid do you think I am? Yes, I am aware of the existence of money. I am aware that people need money to survive. I am aware that ANet needs money to keep the lights on. What’s wrong with you?

I’m saying that they already have plenty of mechanics in place to generate money, like character slots and hair stylist kits, which were already in the game, and that forcing people to buy hair stylist kits for new characters is overly ambitious of them and will cause more damage when it comes to their reputation with the community that it will generate cash. 95% of the people using these new hairstyles are already cap level, so you can bet your britches that they paid for those hair stylist kits- so what harm would it be to open the hairstyles up for fresh characters?

And I’m not even suggesting that they give it up for free to everyone! I’m suggesting they offer it as an account-wide unlock, and not for free. If they had it as an 800 gem unlock I would probably cough up the gems as soon as it went live. Chances are, with the current implementation, I will never use these hairstyles on any of my characters unless I manage to pull a hair stylist kit from a Black Lion Chest. Nobody wins there- I don’t get to play around with fancy new hairs, ANet doesn’t get my money.

Well, unless you work in Anet’s accounting deparment, I submit that you have no clue at all about what it takes to run that business. I think you don’t know how much they have in place and how much what they have in place makes. You don’t know their overhead, you don’t know how much money they’re taking in. You don’t know how much profit the parent company or investors expect to pull in either.

Essentially, you’re talking in a complete absence of fact or information.

It is your opinion they have plenty in place to make a profit that will keep the company sustainable. It’s not a fact.

And, of course, I don’t know either. The difference is, I’m not accusing anyone of anything.

Posted by: Mattargul.9235

Mattargul.9235

SWTOR’s cash shop model is more friendly to consumers than GW2’s in most places because of how they’ve set up their account-wide unlocks compared to GW2’s.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAH!!!!

TOR is a game built around hotbars. I had 4 up all the time, 99% filled. For the F2P conversion, they were going to give you one (1) hotbar, which is not even enough to get all your class skills on. After a humongous backlash from… pretty much everyone, they caved and gave you 2 to start with.

Yea, I agree some of the ANet calls on what’s account vs soulbound are questionable, but saying TORs cash shop is more customer friendly? Really?

Dances with Leaves – Guardian – Sanctum of Rall (SoR)

Sarrs.4831

Well, unless you work in Anet’s accounting deparment, I submit that you have no clue at all about what it takes to run that business. I think you don’t know how much they have in place and how much what they have in place makes. You don’t know their overhead, you don’t know how much money they’re taking in. You don’t know how much profit the parent company or investors expect to pull in either.

Complete absence? NCSoft is required by law to publish quarterly earnings reports. They’re kind enough to include individual games. They include their general overhead costs in the reports. It’s not hard to get a rough estimate of how much each employee at ANet would earn, and how many employees they have. I haven’t done this legwork because frankly this is an internet argument and I don’t care enough about it to somebody who thinks they need to explain to me the concept of money, but it would be conceivably possible to piece together a very good analysis of how much money ANet needs and how much of a profit it’s making.

It is your opinion they have plenty in place to make a profit that will keep the company sustainable. It’s not a fact.

And, of course, I don’t know either. The difference is, I’m not accusing anyone of anything.

Again, earnings reports. And I’m not accusing anyone of anything either. If you mean me asking you whether you suggested that their design decisions are driven by incompetence rather than stylistic choice, that was not me accusing you of calling them incompetent, and my apologies if that’s what you took from it.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAH!!!!

TOR is a game built around hotbars. I had 4 up all the time, 99% filled. For the F2P conversion, they were going to give you one (1) hotbar, which is not even enough to get all your class skills on. After a humongous backlash from… pretty much everyone, they caved and gave you 2 to start with.

Yea, I agree some of the ANet calls on what’s account vs soulbound are questionable, but saying TORs cash shop is more customer friendly? Really?

I said ‘most places’; the hotbar area is the most painful spot. Even then, you pay $5 and you’ve got your hotbars. If I were to think of the things that SWTOR’s cash shop really crushes you for, it’s the very early account unlocks; hotbars, legacy name, colorswapping, all of which you can buy on the GTN with ingame credits, or you can spend less than GW2’s box price to get.

Just about everything costs less in SWTOR than it does in GW2, and it has a swathe of QOL features. Those hairstyles I was talking about cost two dollars to permanently unlock on your account. A friend of mine on here accidentally deleted a character to which gemstore gear was soulbound, so he couldn’t access it- That wouldn’t be a problem in SWTOR because of the systems they have in place.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

(edited by Sarrs.4831)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Not surprised in the slightest. We also get instead of dual spec or even a spec for underwater combat a respec token that costs WAY more even on the worst exchange days for on the fly respecing? Really? Really now?

I’ve said it before I think they have someone with serious ADHD or Sensory Processing Disorder over there with the calendar in their grasp making the list of priorities on which items should be fixed first because it’s seriously disorganized and ignores large chunks of problems still around from the 1st beta.

As far as models go for the best shop, SWTOR is a complete joke, the best one thus far is Rift’s model. It’s got the best of everything free stuff is always useful and a rewards system for longtime players that actually rewards you.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

No.

ArenaNet management might have made GW2 profitable, but they also made it suck.

You decide if that’s worth supporting with your money.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Hey! They managed to fix charr main hand weapon shrinking issue. We can cross that one off the list!

I was genuinely surprised when I logged in yesterday and saw that my weapons didn’t resize when I put them away or when I jumped.

Anet slightly redeemed yourselves. For now.

Posted by: Theundersigned.4761

Theundersigned.4761

Percentage of players who use hair. 100%

I’m bald, actually.

(but I’m happy for the people with hair)

Posted by: pudin.8735

pudin.8735

Percentage of players who use hair. 100%

Im bald, your argument is invalid.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Just about everything costs less in SWTOR than it does in GW2, and it has a swathe of QOL features. Those hairstyles I was talking about cost two dollars to permanently unlock on your account. A friend of mine on here accidentally deleted a character to which gemstore gear was soulbound, so he couldn’t access it- That wouldn’t be a problem in SWTOR because of the systems they have in place.

I like the idea of buying an unlock for your account much better than buying individual items for specific characters.

Still, I think that it is perfectly reasonable for a company to charge for a product that they have spent resources to develop.

Vayne.8563

Complete absence? NCSoft is required by law to publish quarterly earnings reports. They’re kind enough to include individual games. They include their general overhead costs in the reports. It’s not hard to get a rough estimate of how much each employee at ANet would earn, and how many employees they have. I haven’t done this legwork because frankly this is an internet argument and I don’t care enough about it to somebody who thinks they need to explain to me the concept of money, but it would be conceivably possible to piece together a very good analysis of how much money ANet needs and how much of a profit it’s making.

Again, earnings reports. And I’m not accusing anyone of anything either. If you mean me asking you whether you suggested that their design decisions are driven by incompetence rather than stylistic choice, that was not me accusing you of calling them incompetent, and my apologies if that’s what you took from it.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAH!!!!

I said ‘most places’; the hotbar area is the most painful spot. Even then, you pay $5 and you’ve got your hotbars. If I were to think of the things that SWTOR’s cash shop really crushes you for, it’s the very early account unlocks; hotbars, legacy name, colorswapping, all of which you can buy on the GTN with ingame credits, or you can spend less than GW2’s box price to get.

You haven’t done the homework, therefore it’s a complete absence of fact. Their quarterly reports don’t show them as this bloated money making machine. They don’t show you what they need money for coming up either. You’re guessing. Without the research it’s not even an educated guess, but even with the quarterly reports (which I have seen) it’s STILL a guess.

Companies give exactly what the law requires them to give in a quarterly report. It almost never tells the full story.