At this rate...a big let down.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

The fact the game is easier to play because of those features and has lost a lot of depth in the process isn’t a red herring. It’s a fact. It just so happens that pvp is affected more (in general, not just this supposed ‘hard-core playerbase’), but it also has consequences for the pve, which I surely listed above.

Making the game accessible should not equal dumbing it down. Sacrificing depth at the expense of making it more available is what mediocre games do (and unlike I, you seem to consider GW2 more than that). It’s what your typical mmo does to gain as big a playerbase as possible. But invoking the argument of ‘the causal’ to dumb the game down is an insult to said playerbase – bad players will be bad even in a game that has been dumbed down, while the rest (including casuals) which could have played the game even if it had more depth will be left with less means to make a difference.
And yet you call such a thing a plus. Man I don’t even….

Depth means different things to different people. Build diversity has certainly suffered, that much is true.

But that build diversity from Guild Wars 1 you cherish so much came with with a whole host of problems that have been acknowledged elsewhere. You simple prefer those problems. I prefer these problems.

Depth can be measured and dictionary definitions cannot be twisted to suit your particular version of reality. If you cannot go beyond those basic notions, you should honestly stop replying, because you’re just hopping from one topic to another (currently at build diversity, from dynamic events via innovation) as soon as you run out of reply material.

@ Behellagh.1468, as I said many times before, it is the pvp that creates a name for a game. The amount of goodwill and expectation Anet built up with GW was massive, and most of it came with the pvp – it was famous for its level-play pvp, the diversity of modes, the depth and strategic side of GvG, the concept of soft trinity with front-, mid- and backline. Naturally, pve also gets its due credit, but you build up a name with a good multiplayer more than with good pve alone.
I daresay in general that the whole idea behind streaming became a thing largely because of pvp. Community events are often driven with pvp in mind – to play against other players one way or the other, and it is how (good) pvp games build up a reputation and can gain new players. Just like with real sports,

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The fact the game is easier to play because of those features and has lost a lot of depth in the process isn’t a red herring. It’s a fact. It just so happens that pvp is affected more (in general, not just this supposed ‘hard-core playerbase’), but it also has consequences for the pve, which I surely listed above.

Making the game accessible should not equal dumbing it down. Sacrificing depth at the expense of making it more available is what mediocre games do (and unlike I, you seem to consider GW2 more than that). It’s what your typical mmo does to gain as big a playerbase as possible. But invoking the argument of ‘the causal’ to dumb the game down is an insult to said playerbase – bad players will be bad even in a game that has been dumbed down, while the rest (including casuals) which could have played the game even if it had more depth will be left with less means to make a difference.

Depth means different things to different people. Build diversity has certainly suffered, that much is true.

But that build diversity from Guild Wars 1 you cherish so much came with with a whole host of problems that have been acknowledged elsewhere. You simple prefer those problems. I prefer these problems.

Depth can be measured and dictionary definitions cannot be twisted to suit your particular version of reality. If you cannot go beyond those basic notions, you should honestly stop replying, because you’re just hopping from one topic to another (currently at build diversity, from dynamic events via innovation) as soon as you run out of reply material.

I’m sorry, but you don’t get to choose whether I reply or not. I’ve said straight out, in other threads as well, the Guild Wars 1 had more build diversity. I’ve also said Guild Wars 2 needs more build diversity. That’s a weakness in the game. I believe this 100%. I’ve said so in the past, even recently.

But it doesn’t change the fact that the complexity of Guild Wars 1 was both its biggest strength and its biggest weakness. It was too hard to balance (as per Anet) and it wasn’t welcoming to new players at all, which is why it developed such a small, hard core community.

It’s great that that happened, but this game is larger and more ambitious. The staff is bigger. It requires a bigger audience.

I’m not sure how you’re going to get that without simplifying stuff.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

I’m sorry, but you don’t get to choose whether I reply or not. I’ve said straight out, in other threads as well, the Guild Wars 1 had more build diversity. I’ve also said Guild Wars 2 needs more build diversity. That’s a weakness in the game. I believe this 100%. I’ve said so in the past, even recently.

But it doesn’t change the fact that the complexity of Guild Wars 1 was both its biggest strength and its biggest weakness. It was too hard to balance (as per Anet) and it wasn’t welcoming to new players at all, which is why it developed such a small, hard core community.

It’s great that that happened, but this game is larger and more ambitious. The staff is bigger. It requires a bigger audience.

I’m not sure how you’re going to get that without simplifying stuff.

Hmm, the way to generally simplify without simplifying is to make it optional. Also, organization helps a lot with things that need a lot of options.

Regardless, i dont think gw2 will survive if it doesnt start also worrying about the current and old players as well as the new.
Essentially, everyone who plays will eventually want more depth (in some respect) This is why I think it is best to have a large pool, with deep end, and a kiddie end. Just making the whole thing kiddie end will eventually bore even the kiddies.

answer is options, messaging and organization.

KarlaGrey.5903

@vayne, no one wants to discuss build diversity here, and no one is calling you out on that. I just pointed out how you’re hopping from one topic to another as soon as you run out of replies for the previous issue at hand, and you did exactly that with your swift swap to the ‘red herring’ that is build diversity.

Is Starcraft 2 welcoming to new players? No.
Are basketball or tennis welcoming to new and possibly out-of-shape beginners? No. Did they simplify the rules to make them ‘more accessible’? Is the audience and the number of players smaller because of that? Unlikely.
GW was ambitious as well as innovative, and it is a real pity its heydays were way ahead of their time – I wonder how things would have looked like, had it become big in the age of streaming. GW2 on the other hand is there just to milk you for gems, pretending it’s something different to the alternatives. While I doubt it is as ambitious as it might have hoped for at the start (hello manifesto), it has most certainly adopted the most practical approach from a business perspective.

@ phys, I agree, which is why it’s baffling to see how posters advocate dumbing the game down to make it ‘more accessible’. Not that I particularly mind watching this game die a slow and painful death, that is.

Vayne.8563

No one wishes to discuss build diversity here, and no one is calling you out on that. I just pointed out how you’re hopping from one topic to another as soon as you run out of replies for the previous issue at hand.

Is Starcraft 2 welcoming to new players? No.
Are basketball or tennis welcoming to new and possibly out-of-shape beginners? No. Did they simplify the rules to make them ‘more accessible’? Is the audience and the number of players smaller because of that? Unlikely. GW was ambitious as well as innovative, and it is a real pity its heydays were way ahead of their time – I wonder how things would look like, had it become big in the age of streaming. GW2 on the other hand is there just to milk you for gems, pretending it’s something different to the alternatives. While it is as ambitious as it might have hoped for at the start (hello manifesto), it has adopted a the most practical approach from a business point of view.

And you say that I’m jumping from topic to topic. lol

If you think that this game is only about milking the public for gems, there’s not much else to say.

KarlaGrey.5903

Indeed you are.
The reference to those 3 games and rl sports tried to demonstrate you do not and should not sacrifice depth for accessibility, and my point is complemented nicely by phys’ post.

Fact is the game is playing it rather safe (and is far from being innovative), but it sacrificed a lot for that. I say it’s bad, and I list arguments as to why I find it so. Others resort to saying it’s ok because they like it so. Ok then.

Vayne.8563

Indeed you are.
My reference to those 3 games and rl sports tried to demonstrate you do not and should not sacrifice depth for accessibility, and it’s complimented nicely by phys’ post.

The game is playing it safe (unlike you’re claiming, it is far from innovative), and it had sacrificed a lot for that. Some seem to be ok with that, however.

I’m not sure I used the word innovative anywhere. I said they had a vision and that’s shown by the specific selection of features they’ve chosen to include. And I maintain that that’s true.

KarlaGrey.5903

‘innovate’
Make changes in something established, especially by introducing new methods, ideas, or products.

But Guild Wars 2’s greatest advancement (and this is where Rift dropped the ball in my opinion) is that it didn’t contain static events like most games

=GW2 arguably did something different in comparison to other games, and that automatically translates to innovating – even more so for you, since you’re considering ‘dynamic events’ to be a completely new, or ‘fresh’ concept that separates GW2 from other mmos.

Arguing semantics again. Call it ‘taking a different take on things’, if you will. It doesn’t change anythign whatsoever.
/yawn

P.S. Even Mike O’Brien had stated how they had “founded ArenaNet to innovate, so Guild Wars 2 [was] [their] opportunity to question everything, to make a game that defies existing conventions.”

Well they did innovate…with GW.

Vayne.8563

‘innovate’
Make changes in something established, especially by introducing new methods, ideas, or products.

But Guild Wars 2’s greatest advancement (and this is where Rift dropped the ball in my opinion) is that it didn’t contain static events like most games

=GW2 arguably did something different in comparison to other games, that automatically translates to innovating – even more so for you, since you’re considering ‘dynamic events’ to be a completely new, or ‘fresh’ concept that separated GW2 from other mmos.

Arguing semantics again.
/yawn

I’m not arguing semantics. I’m saying I don’t think I used the word innovative, which you’ve attributed to me.

If you insist on saying things I’m not saying I’m going to insist on setting the record straight.

And if you’re bored by the argument you can always stop arguing.

KarlaGrey.5903

I’m saying it means one and the same. Why choose to ignore the point I am making and instead focus on the wording rather than the content.

If you have no point to make, why argue at all? Joining a discussion with the argument of ‘I like it so it’s ok things are the way they are’ doesn’t exactly make a good standpoint in defense of existing features.

Vayne.8563

I’m saying it means one and the same. Why choose to ignore the point I am making and instead focus on the wording rather than the content.

All wording is about nuance. Saying something is innovative has a very specific definition. You can stretch that definition if you want to include what I’ve said, but I don’t see it that way. I don’t see dynamic events as innovative. If anything is innovative it’s that Anet didn’t include standard events. But I see that not a something new, but as a design decision anyone could have made and didn’t have the nerve too.

Anet showed, to me anyway, courage in making that choice. If there are two bottles in the fridge and everyone drinks coke and I drink the pepsi am I being innovative?

I think you’re stretching the word to cover more than I said or meant. And no one would know what I meant better than I did. You certainly don’t.

KarlaGrey.5903

They added a feature you and they consider a novelty to the mmo genre. That is innovation by definition. It’s not quite true there were two bottles in the fridge – from your point of view, they added the pepsi bottle anew (while adjusting the can of coke slightly).
You may stop nitpicking, it’s not getting you anywhere.

Posted by: Dustbite.3670

Dustbite.3670

Its a nice thing, that they continue with the living story. Especially for people that dont play so long (6 months – a year). But if u’ve seen everything, done 1000+ fractals and every dungeon path 100+ times, there aint much more to do. Waiting 2 weeks for a bit of map and a few quests, which u have seen in 1 day, doesnt keep players here.

They are so focused on the living story, that they forget the rest. We used to get monthly events, with rare skins and achievements. Atleast we had something new to go for.

A new map is nice…. but a new dungeon, new fractals, or some new exciting content would be better. I really like gw2, but i dont like the slow small updates we are getting atm.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ha ha. Now people are lamenting the loss of Season One. I, too, prefer the previous Release Achievements and the rewards obtained, therein, but I did not think I would see people pining for Season One. Lol.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

I lost faith in them. Don’t get me wrong I still love the game and creativity. Which is why I will still log in on a regular basis but play no more than an hour a day and 1 day every 2 weeks.

Logging in to activate stories but play only every 6 months is not the way to go I guarantee you’ll be playing alone while others are in the fresher content.

Here’s the bottom line.
2000 to 2005.
From 3 to 170 employees have produced GW1

2005 to 2007
6 months later the full campaign Factions
6 more months later Nightfall campaign
10 months later the expansion Eye of the North.
During those 10 months they even had been working on Utopia which they dumped
in favor of Eye of The North.

2007 to 2012
From 170 to 370 to produce GW 2.
August 2012 release date.
3 months later a new map “Southsun Cove” which had nothing to do with the storyline but where your character can now take a vacation…WoW
Labyrinthine Cliffs July 2013 not an official map based on wiki still fun after 2 festivals but getting old.
Dry Top 1/8 of a map July 1st.
Dry Top 1/8 of the same map, at this rate Dry Top will be completed and the same size as Brisband Wildlands by the end of October.
Don’t get me wrong I still love the game but this is not the same Anet as GW 1’s days with 2 very important founders and some staff gone some of which I’m sure didn’t like the direction the company was taking, nothing new here it happens everywhere but Anet is no longer the quality company it used to be. Yeah you might even say I’ve stopped being a fanboy and I’m now simply a dissatisfied player.

The rumor is for an expansion pack for 2015 at the rate things are going it better be a good and big expansion or Anet won’t last another 5 years and that would be sad. Ok time for me to buy an FPS while I wait for July 29th’s 1/8 th of added Dry Top content.
Did I mention it takes 4 months for 1/8 th of a map? Lucky for us they have more than 1 team working on each LS. Could have been worse. No applause please.

I don’t think the real brains behind Arenanet actually left Arenanet. Have you seen the game that the other 2 founders released? State of Decay, by all accounts a rather mediocre game that pales by comparison to Guild Wars 2 and 1. One of the founders prior to going with the other founder to make State of Decay helped with Tera and Aion. Both of them left when they were offered promotions to lead the newly formed NC West division, and then ultimately left NC West.

(edited by eisberg.2379)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

You may not like what Anet has done, but no one else has come close to doing something similar. It’s why I’m here.

Guild Wars 2, and I’ve said this before, is evolutionary, not revolutionary. It’s a half-step forward. But compared to what the rest of the industry has been doing for the last eight years, it might as well be revolutionary.

A claim that Anet is doing things that no one else has come close to doing is a claim that they are being revolutionary. It is also a claim that they are innovating or are innovative.

I think you exaagerate to make points

Ahem…

Everyone says, even people who agree with you, that this game is the best of a sorry lot.

Totally not an exaggeration right ?

I’m responding to what I see are unfair comments.

But that is not all that you are doing…

Everyone says, even people who agree with you, that this game is the best of a sorry lot.

You are putting words in other people’s mouths to a far greater degree than anyone is doing with you regarding the use of the word innovate rather than its definition.

Vayne.8563

You may not like what Anet has done, but no one else has come close to doing something similar. It’s why I’m here.

Guild Wars 2, and I’ve said this before, is evolutionary, not revolutionary. It’s a half-step forward. But compared to what the rest of the industry has been doing for the last eight years, it might as well be revolutionary.

A claim that Anet is doing things that no one else has come close to doing is a claim that they are being revolutionary. It is also a claim that they are innovating or are innovative.

I think you exaagerate to make points

Ahem…

Totally not an exaggeration right ?

I’m responding to what I see are unfair comments.

But that is not all that you are doing…

You are putting words in other people’s mouths to a far greater degree than anyone is doing with you regarding the use of the word innovate rather than its definition.

Evolution is not revolution. Evolution is a slow, gradual change. Anet has made slow, gradual changes to the model that MMOs have been working on for years. Innovation has a certain connotation. I certainly know what I meant better than you do.

I am doing what I say I’m doing. Those who disagree with me won’t see it and that’s fine. Plenty of people can see it and have said so.

Whether you think I am or not is really not that important to me.

And I won’t be answering any more posts on the semantics of the conversation so feel free to get the last word if you want. The thread had been derailed for too long by people insisting they know what I’m saying better than I do.

Posted by: Oculus.5703

Oculus.5703

ANet doesn’t want you to poopsock 1 month a year to power through an expansion ( leaving the rest of the game a ghost town ).

They wan’t you to play and pay all year ‘round. It’s better from both an economical, marketing and community point of view.

Expansion or LS, the method of delivery doesn’t really matter – what people are advocating for with expansions is getting one giant chunk of content all at once, which people will then chew up in no time, and then go play whatever other game they have on their list.

Expansions only really made sense for MMOs, when the majority had lousy internet and they needed shelf-space in brick n’ mortar shops.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Evolution is not revolution. Evolution is a slow, gradual change. Anet has made slow, gradual changes to the model that MMOs have been working on for years. Innovation has a certain connotation. I certainly know what I meant better than you do.

I made no comment about what you meant. I commented on what you said. If the two are not the same…

I tend to think that Anet were/are innovative. I think that they are, or at least are trying to be, revolutionary in their development of GW2. I do think that describing them as revolutionary and then arguing that you didn’t use the word revolutionary, similarly with innovative, is a bit odd in my opinion.

Claiming that other people are exaggerating to make a point while exaggerating to make a point is similarly a bit off in my opinion.

Claiming that you are just trying to defend the game against unfair arguments and the like while inventing facts to support your position is another one of those a bit off things in my opinion.

Feel free to bow out if you like. Perhaps someone will come in to defend the game factually, based on its merits, rather than blatantly making things up.

Vayne.8563

I made no comment about what you meant. I commented on what you said. If the two are not the same…

I tend to think that Anet were/are innovative. I think that they are, or at least are trying to be, revolutionary in their development of GW2. I do think that describing them as revolutionary and then arguing that you didn’t use the word revolutionary, similarly with innovative, is a bit odd in my opinion.

Claiming that other people are exaggerating to make a point while exaggerating to make a point is similarly a bit off in my opinion.

Claiming that you are just trying to defend the game against unfair arguments and the like while inventing facts to support your position is another one of those a bit off things in my opinion.

Feel free to bow out if you like. Perhaps someone will come in to defend the game factually, based on its merits, rather than blatantly making things up.

What exactly am I making up? I’d love to hear.

KarlaGrey.5903

Thanks Ashen for sparing me the trouble.
+1

Vayne.8563

+1

Notice when he said I was making stuff up and I asked for an example he couldn’t furnish one. Nuff said.

Posted by: petespri.6548

petespri.6548

+1

Notice when he said I was making stuff up and I asked for an example he couldn’t furnish one. Nuff said.

You should stop for a second and look at your post history. You are a full-time GW2 defender, and you fail to address his points.

You should get a job other than GW2 forum posting, LOL. No offense. If you are at a computer that much, you really should do some programming and get paid for being at the computer!

KarlaGrey.5903

+1

Oh idk, he mentioned putting words into people’s mouth, making a point with exageration, and the likes. Why would he have to repeat himself.

But you’re back to your circular argumentation as soon as confronted with facts/direct quotes, so heh.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

+1

Bowing out of an endless loop seems wise to me.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Vinsanity.5963

Vinsanity.5963

lol nothings changed lets wait till the next update

Vayne.8563

+1

You should stop for a second and look at your post history. You are a full-time GW2 defender, and you fail to address his points.

You should get a job other than GW2 forum posting, LOL. No offense. If you are at a computer that much, you really should do some programming and get paid for being at the computer!

Or I can be retired and do what I please.

I’ve answered those posts in countless threads already but I do have a question for you.

Why do you ignore the posts I make where I find the game lacking? I can point you to several that are on the front page if you can’t find them.

Vayne.8563

+1

Bowing out of an endless loop seems wise to me.

But you still took the time to post this. If you can’t furnish info where I’m making stuff up, some would call that slander.

Posted by: davadude.6017

davadude.6017

Were Ursan and PI popular skills ? Of course they were, but claiming that everyone used or relied on them is ludicrous.

No, its evident now you were not active in GW1 during that time. Ursan Blessing was used everywhere, from DoA to FoW/UW, all the way to solo elite mission clears. Other metas at the time, such kitten, almost went defunct.

EDIT: Apparently Searing Flame’s abbreviation is a swear word... O.o

davadude – Ego Sum Promptus

Vayne.8563

Were Ursan and PI popular skills ? Of course they were, but claiming that everyone used or relied on them is ludicrous.

No, it’s evident now you were not active in GW1 during that time. Ursan Blessing was used everywhere, from DoA to FoW/UW, all the way to solo elite mission clears. Other metas at the time, such kitten, almost went defunct.

Anet nerfed it due to complaints about everyone requiring R8 ursan, and that is a fact.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

As a sort of former player(not playing with any intentions of getting back into it anytime soon, but possibly in the future)…. I firmly believe that this company has no sense of what it wants to achieve. They want to be an industry leader with more content patches than any other game. Yet, the amount of content, new perma content, in the game is abysmally low.

Yes, with an expansion you may get a load of content all at once, and then nothing for maybe 6months to a year before a large content patch…. but its REAL meaty content. Its dungeons, skills, classes, races, story, zones, perma stuff. I know Anet is working toward more perma stuff, but for 2 years its been very temporary, no new dungeons if you exclude fractals (which isnt for everyone), two new zones(one abandoned in southshore and one that is being released incrementally), no new skills(don’t talk to me about the one or two silly healing skills that have no impact on my builds), no new races or classes, and a breadcrumb-like story.

Yeah, Id rather have that expansion now. I pay 60 bucks for it.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

No, it’s evident now you were not active in GW1 during that time. Ursan Blessing was used everywhere, from DoA to FoW/UW, all the way to solo elite mission clears. Other metas at the time, such kitten, almost went defunct.

Anet nerfed it due to complaints about everyone requiring R8 ursan, and that is a fact.

Meta isn’t “everyone”. Never has been. Even during the ursan hype people happily played the game with viable builds that did not include it. Facts..Not “everyone” had EoTN. Not “everyone” with EoTN had the rank to use it. Nobody in PvP used it.. they couldn’t.

“Everyone” didn’t use it, or feel compelled to. It got nerfed because it was OP.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: hazenvirus.8154

hazenvirus.8154

As a sort of former player(not playing with any intentions of getting back into it anytime soon, but possibly in the future)…. I firmly believe that this company has no sense of what it wants to achieve. They want to be an industry leader with more content patches than any other game. Yet, the amount of content, new perma content, in the game is abysmally low.

Yes, with an expansion you may get a load of content all at once, and then nothing for maybe 6months to a year before a large content patch…. but its REAL meaty content. Its dungeons, skills, classes, races, story, zones, perma stuff. I know Anet is working toward more perma stuff, but for 2 years its been very temporary, no new dungeons if you exclude fractals (which isnt for everyone), two new zones(one abandoned in southshore and one that is being released incrementally), no new skills(don’t talk to me about the one or two silly healing skills that have no impact on my builds), no new races or classes, and a breadcrumb-like story.

Developing more immersive combat would be a start. I don’t feel very heroic stacked into a corner with 4 other people. Granted some fights have mechanics, but the boss stun immunity buff needs to be adjusted to allow more interesting gameplay choices beyond dps with utility skills making up all the support.

All I do now is log in look at my legendary weapons, say to my self kitten those look awesome. Realize the combat in the game is stale, wish anet had refunded my duplicate legendary so I had one more to look at, and then wonder what the difference was between my duplicate legendary and the people’s who got refunds. Then log out and play a different game.

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

Where does this unlimited confidence come from that an expansion would be so much better and would satisfy all desires? An expansion would simply be the sum of all episodes of season 2 plus a feature pack of unknown size. If Arenanet is not able to deliver meaty stuff step by step, they are for sure not able the deliver it in one big batch. These are the same people. Simply casting the word “expansion” as a magical formula will not transform the employees in other persons in a magical way.

cesmode.4257

Developing more immersive combat would be a start. I don’t feel very heroic stacked into a corner with 4 other people. Granted some fights have mechanics, but the boss stun immunity buff needs to be adjusted to allow more interesting gameplay choices beyond dps with utility skills making up all the support.

All I do now is log in look at my legendary weapons, say to my self kitten those look awesome. Realize the combat in the game is stale, wish anet had refunded my duplicate legendary so I had one more to look at, and then wonder what the difference was between my duplicate legendary and the people’s who got refunds. Then log out and play a different game.

Well, what you point out is separate to what I was talking about but you are right on the money. There are some nice interrupt skills that go un-used in boss fights. All boss fights come down to is beating the target over the head for 5 minutes, staying out of red, and clicking on an environmental thing everyone once in a while. Most dungeon fights are pretty boring and one dimensional. Some are OK, most are not. Incoming “this is your opinion not fact” ..well show me a fight that requires a team to work together (that isn’t arah).

Say what you want about Wildstar, they have a good combat system with DIFFICULT dungeons(they are no joke), and require you to coordinate yourselves. You must coordinate with your group of 5 to destroy interrupt armor in order to put the boss in a vulnerable state(moment of opportunity for double damage). If the boss has 4 interrupt armor, that means four people must interrupt the boss’s cast and a 5th interrupt would put him into MoO for double damage. The interrupts must be in simultaneous. Coordination. Group effort. Sometimes you get an explosive debuf. You can drop it on the boss for a ton of damage.

Things like this are non existent in GW2 and I truely believe it is because of its open content system. You can’t create interesting mechanics like this in the open world. How on earth can you tweak and tune it to X number of players, and how on earth can you expect a dozen or so of random passerbys to coordinate something like the above paragraph? You have tequatl, but you pretty much need a server teamspeak to get that done.

I think GW2 will be forever plagued with zergs, the MMO version of Diablo 3 hack and slash. And you know what? As stale and one dimensional as that is, thats OK if that becomes its niché. But I laugh very much when people say GW2 combat is awsome. Its really not. There are some awsome skills, support skills, interrupts, buffs, but you dont need them in open world content. At all. Quit kidding yourselves.

cesmode.4257

Where does this unlimited confidence come from that an expansion would be so much better and would satisfy all desires? An expansion would simply be the sum of all episodes of season 2 plus a feature pack of unknown size. If Arenanet is not able to deliver meaty stuff step by step, they are for sure not able the deliver it in one big batch. These are the same people. Simply casting the word “expansion” as a magical formula will not transform the employees in other persons in a magical way.

I would be able to play the expansion all at once for several weeks or a couple of months straight if I wanted. Fully immersed and excited in the game. After im done with that expansion content, I’ll either do what I would do now, or take a break. In its current form, I would play LS for a day or two, and then wait around until the next one.

At least the content would have some cohesiveness to it. All together, nicely nit and sewn…not sprinkled across a year like bread crumbs. “oh yah this happened in the story 3.5 months ago…”

Vayne.8563

Meta isn’t “everyone”. Never has been. Even during the ursan hype people happily played the game with viable builds that did not include it. Facts..Not “everyone” had EoTN. Not “everyone” with EoTN had the rank to use it. Nobody in PvP used it.. they couldn’t.

“Everyone” didn’t use it, or feel compelled to. It got nerfed because it was OP.

I agree and said as much. What I did say was that it was prevalent and that was a problem. Anet admitted this, why can’t you?

KarlaGrey.5903

+1 to cesmode, REALLY well put.

Posted by: hazenvirus.8154

hazenvirus.8154

I would be able to play the expansion all at once for several weeks or a couple of months straight if I wanted. Fully immersed and excited in the game. After im done with that expansion content, I’ll either do what I would do now, or take a break. In its current form, I would play LS for a day or two, and then wait around until the next one.

At least the content would have some cohesiveness to it. All together, nicely nit and sewn…not sprinkled across a year like bread crumbs. “oh yah this happened in the story 3.5 months ago…”

Yeah! Imagine trying to read A Song of Fire and Ice if Martin released one chapter every three months. I have to read over the books now before the next to make sure I recall everything, but at least I can really dig into it when it is out. Right now that is what Living Story is only worse, more like a couple pages from a poorly written chapter. The method of delivery is such that I’ve never felt attached to the living story to the point that it feels like a chore to even try and pay attention. I honestly can’t wait for living story events to end when they are released.

Vayne.8563

Yeah! Imagine trying to read A Song of Fire and Ice if Martin released one chapter every three months. I have to read over the books now before the next to make sure I recall everything, but at least I can really dig into it when it is out. Right now that is what Living Story is only worse, more like a couple pages from a poorly written chapter. The method of delivery is such that I’ve never felt attached to the living story to the point that it feels like a chore to even try and pay attention. I honestly can’t wait for living story events to end when they are released.

But this isn’t Song of Fire and Ice and it’s not one chapter every three months it’s a chapter every two weeks. Obviously you’ve never heard of serials before like Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers.

What we’re playing is the MMO equivalent of a serial. It’s actually being made to be delivered in chapters. That’s the whole point of these cliffhangers.

cesmode.4257

Agreed. I am staying away from the game because in my eyes, and sure its my opinion, their content development focus is living story. And if they are focused on living story, they aren’t focused on other areas like enticing us to play in open world more(not funneling us into flavor of the week zones)…dungeon revamps, NEW dungeons, skills, etc.

If those things don’t happen because I feel Living Story is sucking up the majority of good dev resources, then I can’t get what I want out of a game that I paid box price for along with around 200$ in gems in the hopes of becoming an exploration wonder in the MMO industry..alas, I quit and stay away.

cesmode.4257

But this isn’t Song of Fire and Ice and it’s not one chapter every three months it’s a chapter every two weeks. Obviously you’ve never heard of serials before like Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers.

What we’re playing is the MMO equivalent of a serial. It’s actually being made to be delivered in chapters. That’s the whole point of these cliffhangers.

What you call a chapter, I call a few sentences or a paragraph or so. To each his own.

Vayne.8563

The new chapters of the living story are certainly being far better received by players over all than Season 1 though. If you don’t like it that’s fair enough.

It’s got a lot more positive than negative comments, which should astonish anyone who frequents these forums.

cesmode.4257

The new chapters of the living story are certainly being far better received by players over all than Season 1 though. If you don’t like it that’s fair enough.

It’s got a lot more positive than negative comments, which should astonish anyone who frequents these forums.

I don’t deny that they are making progress. I log in to get flagged for the new content and log out every 2 weeks, in the event that I pick up the game in the future again.

Im curious to see how well it is received after several months…maybe by end of year. Will people be fed up with LS again after a while like with LS1? If I recall, LS1 wasn’t necessarily negatively received from the start either. I think after a while people, the people who disliked it realized how temporary some of it was, and that it wasn’t enough true content for them.

Time will tell.

Vayne.8563

I don’t deny that they are making progress. I log in to get flagged for the new content and log out every 2 weeks, in the event that I pick up the game in the future again.

Im curious to see how well it is received after several months…maybe by end of year. Will people be fed up with LS again after a while like with LS1? If I recall, LS1 wasn’t necessarily negatively received from the start either. I think after a while people, the people who disliked it realized how temporary some of it was, and that it wasn’t enough true content for them.

Time will tell.

LS was very poorly received at the start. We had a month of pounding in signs and helping people for a title called volunteer. People complained a lot. They liked the first dungeon though. But there was far more complaining than happy people.

Mostly that the content was temporary. And that remained the biggest complaint throughout.

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

This entire thread reminds me of the end of Pirates of the Caribbean. “Two immortals locked forever in combat.”

I see the same people, day in and day out, arguing back and forth over subjective opinions that can neither be proven factually true or false.

Give it a break. You either like the game or you don’t. I enjoy the game a great deal. To you naysayers, it’s unfortunate that you don’t. That’s all there is to it.

Vayne.8563

This entire thread reminds me of the end of Pirates of the Caribbean. “Two immortals locked forever in combat.”

I see the same people, day in and day out, arguing back and forth over subjective opinions that can neither be proven factually true or false.

Give it a break. You either like the game or you don’t. I enjoy the game a great deal. To you naysayers, it’s unfortunate that you don’t. That’s all there is to it.

You said it better than I did. lol

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

This is an MMO, not a story book.
If I want to be immersed in a story , there are plenty of other games that have great stories and incredibly immersive (witcher series, dark souls, etc etc)
I play an MMO because I want to group up with my friends and do fun, challenging content with a sense of accomplishment and reward. LS does not do this.
Everything added so far is just a lame cheesy story that I could care less about along with some new zones with some world events….
Where is any kind of new instanced content where I can group up with friends and tackle it? None of these world events are even as good as previous LS1 events (like marionette or the knights in LA destruction)

Now I will say this is too early to judge.. but right now, theres nothing that “wows” me (the zones do look nice…but everything looks nice in this game). When actual content arrives, let me know…until then enjoy the bi-weekly cheesy story, zergfest events, tooltip updates and new gemstore skins …I just hope theres something exciting coming before the end of this year…

Vayne.8563

This is an MMO, not a story book.
If I want to be immersed in a story , there are plenty of other games that have great stories and incredibly immersive (witcher series, dark souls, etc etc)
I play an MMO because I want to group up with my friends and do fun, challenging content with a sense of accomplishment and reward. LS does not do this.
Everything added so far is just a lame cheesy story that I could care less about along with some new zones with some world events….
Where is any kind of new instanced content where I can group up with friends and tackle it? None of these world events are even as good as previous LS1 zerg events (like marionette or the knights in LA destruction)

Now I will say this is too early to judge.. but right now, theres nothing that “wows” me (the zones do look nice…but everything looks nice in this game). When actual content arrives, let me know…until then enjoy the bi-weekly cheesy story, zergfest events, tooltip updates and new gemstore skins …

Sorry you don’t like the story. I do. Other people do. This season has much better story telling than season 1. And I didn’t particularly mind season one.

Are you saying you can’t enjoy a story with friends? I don’t believe that. I want a story focuses MMO for once.

cesmode.4257

You said it better than I did. lol

Hes talking about me, I assume, but also about you.

:)