Awful Female Human Heavy Armor Art Design

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: OJM.5103

OJM.5103

I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s awful because there are many nice combinations you can make. However having a human female Guardian main I am bored of the current Fashion Wars meta choices & would like some new options for Summer 2015 fashion meta pls.

[GAMW]

(edited by OJM.5103)

Posted by: Ringsound.7806

Ringsound.7806

Chainmail Bikini Syndrome has been a plague on the fantasy community for so many years that it isn’t going away anytime soon. Love it or hate it it’s just the way it is. GW2 isn’t nearly as bad as most games in the genre. I would love to see more FULL coverage female heavy armors though, and fewer(none) exposed skin death traps, but I can accept that lots of people don’t agree.

we are on the same boat
i would love to have more full coverage armor
an i wouldnt mind, even appreciate no korean type eposed heavy armor
sexy dont have to be showing skin, a good fit full coverage showing the perfect bodyline is way sexier than bikini

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Chainmail Bikini Syndrome has been a plague on the fantasy community for so many years that it isn’t going away anytime soon. Love it or hate it it’s just the way it is. GW2 isn’t nearly as bad as most games in the genre. I would love to see more FULL coverage female heavy armors though, and fewer(none) exposed skin death traps, but I can accept that lots of people don’t agree.

we are on the same boat
sexy dont have to be showing skin, a good fit full coverage showing the perfect bodyline is way sexier than bikini

The one objective part of armor criticism is how >50% of the female armor is insanely skimpy. This looks stupid for light or medium armor but downright idiotic for heavy, as there’s no way this’d be any help in combat.

Now, even then it’d be acceptable – if the male armor looked similar. For many armor types, male and female armors don’t look like they’re part of the same set. Plus as I said, it looks stupid.

Except this isn’t being objective at all. I’ll list skimpy (truly skimpy at least by GW2 standards which is much more modest than every other fantasy (besides ESO and AoC) MMOs I’ve played) sets, blended sets and full coverage sets for you concerning armor (I won’t touch medium, that’s just 99.9% trenchcoat ugliness)

Skimpy (6) Which is: 12%
Grasping Dead
Gladiator
Barbaric
Pit Fighter
Zodiac (I guess, since it doesn’t actually show skin)
Flame Wrath

Blended (6) Which is: 12%
Priory
Whisper’s
Vigil
Scallywag
Phalanx
Braham’s

Covered (38) Which is: 76%
Ascalonian
Council
Nightmare
Forgeman (tied with ugliest in my opinion)
Flame Leagion (tied with ugliest in my opinion)
Koda
Inquest
Commander’s
Avenger’s
Protector’s
Chain
Militia
Scale
Splint
Tempered
Draconic
Illustrious
Worn Chain
Heavy Plate
Dark Templar
Studded Plate
Armageddon
Chainmail
Worn Scale
Reinforced Scale
Banded
Guild Defender
Heavy Scale
Glorious
Glorious Hero’s
Heritage
Hellfire
Radiant
Carapace
Luminescent
Atherblade
Primeval
Rampart

Please stop perpetuating the myth that GW2 heavy armors are skimpy. The reason you think they are is because the skimpy armors are preferred so you’re really seeing the same ones over and over again. Asking for variety should not be so opposed.

I debated about carapace and lumi given the one thigh you can see a little bit of, but over aesthetics (especially from behind) give the feel of full coverage to me.

Agreed, there is already a lot of covered up armor options in gw2. They should work more on balancing out the options.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Heavy armor still has it better than medium. I can at least find a couple different combinations of heavy that look good.

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

we are on the same boat

You should be happy with the status quo then since a majority of the existing heavy female armors are practically puritan in their sensibilities.

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

we are on the same boat

You should be happy with the status quo then since a majority of the existing heavy female armors are practically puritan in their sensibilities.

Not me, I want armor to look like armor. I personally just despise badly designed armor, regardless of which stupid fallacy they pick, be it chainmail bikini or skin tight metal catsuit.

It’s fine though, I’m used to most fantasy armor being ridiculous looking trash covered in cleave points, with zero thought given to it’s ability to actually function as armor. And that applies to most of the men’s armor as well.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

we are on the same boat

Not me, I want armor to look like armor. I personally just despise badly designed armor, regardless of which stupid fallacy they pick, be it chainmail bikini or skin tight metal catsuit.

It’s fine though, I’m used to most fantasy armor being ridiculous looking trash covered in cleave points, with zero thought given to it’s ability to actually function as armor. And that applies to most of the men’s armor as well.

So you want hyper realistic armor in fantasy games where people are shooting fireballs, turning invisible, making copies of themselves that can fight, etc. Seems kinda weird to me, but ok I guess?

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

You can wear your hyper realistic armor, there is plenty of it in this game. But there should be choices for those of us who do not like so-called practical armor in a fantasy game.

Posted by: Alilinke.7690

Alilinke.7690

Some of us like the “Iron Man” look.

Attachments:

[nA] Professional Guild Hall Decorator

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

Seems fine to me

Those are awesome, how did you make them/have them made?

The pictures, not the armors. I can easily tell the armors lol.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Why is it that all of it looks terrible. All of it, 100% of it.

Your opinion.

Sure, if I wanted to look like the Terminator, Robocop, Judge Dredd, or Gregor Clegane in full armor, I’d be in hog heaven, but why isn’t there something a little more inspired? I mean, some of the sets of “heavy” female armor in GW1 for paragons and warriors looked really good. It’s pretty disappointing that they couldn’t do the same for the sequel.

Um, what? Aside from the Aetherblade heavy skins I don’t recall anything that would make you look like any of the characters you just described. I can’t really speak for GW1, having not played it, but if there were some armors you liked there, try linking them or naming them at least so we could look for them?

I mean, Aion is under the same parent company as ArenaNet (NC Soft), and I’m not trying to compare the two since their art departments aren’t associated in any way, but why couldn’t our game take some cues from that—

No. No, no, no. I’m resisting the urge to label this a troll post and be done. Aion is garbage. Utter garbage. Let’s not take cues from an inferior, gold seller infested game that did nothing right.

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

Personally, I don’t really care about super skimpy armors, I just want more variety in general, not just about skimpy vs not skimpy. For example we could use a little more “knight” styled armor sets. (Like the Paladin set from FF14.)

My warrior is fully covered, using a draconic/heritage mix-and-match, and I think she looks really great like that. (I’ve been using that same look for 2 years.) But I had to do a lot of experiment with armor skins because most heavy armor skins look mostly the same, save for the 3-4 that are skimpy. (But too skimpy for my taste.)

That said I’d like to see her leg skin more often. (The Guild Wars 1 Elite Templar set is how I’d like her to look, ideally. But no skimpier.) It’s kind of silly how 90% of the heavy armor skins are “skirts” but only 2 or 3 of those are bare legged. Especially with most GW1 warrior armors being bare-legs, even on the gents. That’s the kind of thing that would have been easy to do to break the monotony of the so many armor sets while leveling.

But yeah, more variety in general.

I’d like to see them revamp the personality system (aggressive/noble/charm) and then reward with a unique “RP” armor skin that matches the personality: aggressive characters get something imposing, noble characters gets something knightly and scoundrels get something skimpy. So if you absolutely want to be skimpy you’ll have to RP like that.

panzer.6034

If realistic aesthetics are what you’re looking for, i’m not sure how you can handle any of this game at all. Giant dieselpunk tanks, weird helicopters, jim henson cat people, little gremlin inventors with glowing crystal laser guns. Realistic armor would look completely mundane in a way that would clash with style of pretty much every culture in the game world.

As has been pointed out in a million other threads, in a game where people spit fireballs at will, use 10 foot swords made of energy and shoot lightning, an armor’s “ability to actually function as armor” doesn’t match with anything realistic in the first place.

Posted by: Daedolon.4583

Daedolon.4583

It took a while but this is what I came up with for my Guardian

Attachments:

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

Don’t get me wrong! I like most of the armor as art. There’s just a part of me that cringes inside whenever I try to think about it actually stopping any kind of dangerous weapon. In my younger days, me and my brother got pretty heavy into blacksmithing and making period reproduction pieces, and I guess I just internalized enough of it that I can’t turn it off. I see things as simple as spiky shoulder pauldrons and immediately picture long axes catching and shearing into them instead of deflecting off and around like they should. I see breasts molded into a breast plate and immediately think of all the lances that would get caught on those curves and punch straight through instead of being smoothly deflected off to the sides.

So, some of them are beautiful art, it’s just hard to view them as any real kind of protection. Yes, I know, it’s a fantasy game with fireballs and giant horned cats, but everybody has something that bothers them even if they know it’s absurd.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

The “it’s fantasy so realism would be weird” argument seems to always miss the point. If we take this logic, we could all run around naked because Arcane Shield, yay!
Suspension of disbelief is key, and I have a way easier time to believe you when you say the armour is enchanted against magic spells and energy swords when it actually looks like armour, as opposed to you telling me the same thing about a chainmail bikini (or even the gladiator-style armours in GW2), because then there is nothing to enchant in the first place and it feels like you think I’m stupid.
Let’s apply the “enchanted armour” argument to GW2. A caster a) stands in the back slinging spells and b) can conjure their personal shield, so I can argue I don’t need full plate for protection as a light “armour” class. But a warrior on the frontlines with no magical ability can’t do that – they need something that’s been enchanted beforehand to protect them from lightning and fireballs, and if that something barely covers crotch, chest and wrists (for some odd reason), then they wouldn’t need an enchantment at all because the first blow aimed at the unprotected parts of their body would kill them.
From a player standpoint, there is lots of room to argue for less “realistic” designs as well, for style, and that’s fine. Just, please, refrain from design double standards in the future. Just make it look the same for everyone, and no-one will complain (well, not no-one, but decidedly fewer people).

If the armour looks good and has an overall consistent design that fits with the original intention, whether that was “make it sexy!” or “make it protective!”, and fits into the environment, it’s usually not a problem, especially in GW2, where the choices are already pretty decent for a fantasy MMO. But if you give me two vastly different designs depending on whether a man or a woman wears it, or make some more reasonable heavy armour, but then give it a boobplate which is completely counterproductive, then that’s the weird part. Not the realism that supposedly doesn’t belong into a fantasy game. In this case, realism is also referring to a certain consistency that is sometimes missing here, though the overall armour design is pretty good.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Personally, I don’t really care about super skimpy armors, I just want more variety in general, not just about skimpy vs not skimpy. For example we could use a little more “knight” styled armor sets. (Like the Paladin set from FF14.)

Agreed, more variety would be good, for both kinds.
Yes as some have pointed out there’s more “covering” armor than not, and the skimpy crowd points that out and asks for more skimpy. The covering crowd points out that they feel many of the covering armor looks horrible, looks like a tin can or super clunky/blocky and they don’t feel all of them “count”.

I see plenty of really cool combinations of course, but I don’t want to just copy someone elses combo .

Another post I was going to quote but then lost track of pointed out one of the other common complaints is sets that have significant disparity between male and female versions. Both sides agree we want it consistent. If they want to do one covering and one skimpy that’s fine, but do a male/female pair of each. We don’t care if there are two really similar sets where one is skimpy and the other not, as long as male and female both get both options. Just be consistent.
It’s really frustrating to see an aesthetic you love and then find out your gender’s version is totally different.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Agreed, more variety would be good, for both kinds.
Yes as some have pointed out there’s more “covering” armor than not, and the skimpy crowd points that out and asks for more skimpy. The covering crowd points out that they feel many of the covering armor looks horrible, looks like a tin can or super clunky/blocky and they don’t feel all of them “count”.

I see plenty of really cool combinations of course, but I don’t want to just copy someone elses combo .

Another post I was going to quote but then lost track of pointed out one of the other common complaints is sets that have significant disparity between male and female versions. Both sides agree we want it consistent. If they want to do one covering and one skimpy that’s fine, but do a male/female pair of each. We don’t care if there are two really similar sets where one is skimpy and the other not, as long as male and female both get both options. Just be consistent.
It’s really frustrating to see an aesthetic you love and then find out your gender’s version is totally different.

This is probably my favorite post on the topic. It’s about choices and options for everyone, without taking choices and options away.

I don’t understand some of the vitriol in some of the other posts. Seems like we’ve made lots of positive steps towards some types of acceptance, but not others. Makes me sad. Seems like it’s more about shaming and taking choices away from people, labeling them, declaring them unacceptable. I think some people are just looking for more options and could care less what someone else chooses for themselves. Others are bent on removing others’ choices altogether, even though it doesn’t really have anything to do with them, if they choose not to make that choice. Lot of parallels there.

I suppose I’ll cross my fingers and hope they don’t remove any more of my choices in the next 6-12 months (lost running and idle animations, town clothes), and then I’ll be out of your hair. Still very much enjoying the game and hope to continue to along with as many choices and options remain for me while I can.

Kalavier.1097

If realistic aesthetics are what you’re looking for, i’m not sure how you can handle any of this game at all. Giant dieselpunk tanks, weird helicopters, jim henson cat people, little gremlin inventors with glowing crystal laser guns. Realistic armor would look completely mundane in a way that would clash with style of pretty much every culture in the game world.

As has been pointed out in a million other threads, in a game where people spit fireballs at will, use 10 foot swords made of energy and shoot lightning, an armor’s “ability to actually function as armor” doesn’t match with anything realistic in the first place.

But going “I’d rather have a front line warrior who will be clashing against the enemy and/or beasts in close quarters combat or hand to hand to have decent armor coverage.”

Does not mean

“OMG THAT TANK IS SO UNREALISTIC. AND THAT RACE. GRASAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH”

Armor does not = the entire setting.

The “it’s fantasy so realism would be weird” argument seems to always miss the point. If we take this logic, we could all run around naked because Arcane Shield, yay!
Suspension of disbelief is key, and I have a way easier time to believe you when you say the armour is enchanted against magic spells and energy swords when it actually looks like armour, as opposed to you telling me the same thing about a chainmail bikini (or even the gladiator-style armours in GW2), because then there is nothing to enchant in the first place and it feels like you think I’m stupid.
Let’s apply the “enchanted armour” argument to GW2. A caster a) stands in the back slinging spells and b) can conjure their personal shield, so I can argue I don’t need full plate for protection as a light “armour” class. But a warrior on the frontlines with no magical ability can’t do that – they need something that’s been enchanted beforehand to protect them from lightning and fireballs, and if that something barely covers crotch, chest and wrists (for some odd reason), then they wouldn’t need an enchantment at all because the first blow aimed at the unprotected parts of their body would kill them.

I give gladiator armor a pass because of the namesake. IMO, it’s meant to be more of a piecemeal set instead of proper armor.

A fun silly thing about enchantment. If it’s done by putting magic runes/symbols onto the armor, you can put way more onto a full coverage suit then a chainmail bikini.

The thing most seem to forget is, a HUGE chunk of the people in the world simply won’t have the resources to get enchanted armor. It’d be crafted to provide protection first, then any enchantments added later.

Look at the armies. Seraph are all using full coverage armors. Lionguard are as well. The one npc group who uses more revealing gear are the PIRATES, who would have lesser quality items to begin with.

Whenever I look at ‘sexy’ armor (especially plate/chainmail or leather, somebody in close quarter combat), I instantly go “Either that person has magical protection, or they are speedy/dodgy enough to avoid most blows and a single blow would actually gut them.”

edit: So yeah, I don’t have a much of a problem with skimpy armor. At least, unless you try to tell my human warrior that your skimpy armor is equally protective as her full coverage plate armor.

Posted by: Taiyoroku.1028

Taiyoroku.1028

I really hope that by “awful” OP your not mean skinpy

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Seems fine to me

Those are awesome, how did you make them/have them made?

The pictures, not the armors. I can easily tell the armors lol.

Thanks! I Made them myself.
Got lots of them on my deviantart page.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Pandeh.5248

Pandeh.5248

A lot of it looks bad indeed. But I have two sets I like a lot.

Ill throw in my awesome wizard Asura as well :P

Attachments:

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

I could do with less boobplate.

Its makes little sense and is dangerous to wear. Can end up funneling attacks right where you don’t want them to go.

Posted by: Nikaido.6739

Nikaido.6739

Beauty holds in the eye of the beholder! I don’t know if you simply just want armor that show female skin, but I think female heavy armor are fine.

I could also complain most male armors covered their skin too much, and many male armor design look less fashionable then females. (Some are just very awkward)

Aion is very Korean and Asian base… the whole fashion concept is very different. I’m Asian myself and I like those designs. Anet is under NCsoft but that’s it, most of the game fashion are still very western style base.

Posted by: MissSinfully.2478

MissSinfully.2478

I’m surprised only a few people mentioned Phalanx, but I’m glad someone did. Skirt’s a little skimpy, but I love the blend of heavy and cloth aspects- it doesn’t offend my delicate fashion sensibilities as a female.

Attachments:

MissSinfully
Sonyanna
Dragonhunter

Posted by: Sweetbread.4701

Sweetbread.4701

Idunno I think it’s kind of nice that Anet assumes that the women in this universe would put protecting their torsos over being a sex fantasy.

Posted by: Wildkitten.3872

Wildkitten.3872

The one objective part of armor criticism is how >50% of the female armor is insanely skimpy. This looks stupid for light or medium armor but downright idiotic for heavy, as there’s no way this’d be any help in combat.

Now, even then it’d be acceptable – if the male armor looked similar. For many armor types, male and female armors don’t look like they’re part of the same set. Plus as I said, it looks stupid.

Not sure what game you’re referring to, but way, way less than 50% of armor in this game could be described as “skimpy”. In fact, if you wish to compare to other MMO’s, and even real life descriptions, no armor in this game could realistically be called skimpy. Even the medium T3 human armor doesn’t show as much under boob as what you will see at any public pool or beach.

As for your combat comment, the full body covering armor is what is unrealistic. For one thing trying to bring a realism argument into a fantasy game is idiotic at best, but even in real life, you have armies than even in the 20th century would fight nude in certain circumstances because of the need for agility and mobility. If you want to talk realism, then skimpy armor would be a lot more realistic when fighting fantasy creatures because if you could face a dragon, someone in a bikini will survive longer than someone wearing full metal plate.

Jaina Kitten, Level 80 Elementalist, Main
Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

Female chars need heavy armors like from Dragon Age, no skimpy & awesome as kitten.

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

Female chars need heavy armors like from Dragon Age, no skimpy & awesome as kitten.

You mean those tin cans? No thank you.

EverythingOP

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

While some armors in Dragon Age are good, there are a lot of kittenty ones as well.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

we are on the same boat

So you want hyper realistic armor in fantasy games where people are shooting fireballs, turning invisible, making copies of themselves that can fight, etc. Seems kinda weird to me, but ok I guess?

I do not quite understand this point of view. If it’s fantasy world with magic so the armor here has to be ridiculous not look like armor? Is it some kind of rule? “If something not as in reality – let’s make so that everything will not be as in reality?”. How the fact that people can shoot fire from wooden sticks leads to the fact that they go into battle naked?

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

I think there are a few very attractive heavy pieces. I mean there are endless torsos that are good looking. My only issue is the leggings. A lot of them stick to the same theme of having a giant flap or skirt with pants included. I would like to see variations of simple pants. There’s a reason why people who are fine with it are all using the same skinss. :P

Posted by: Wildkitten.3872

Wildkitten.3872

we are on the same boat

I do not quite understand this point of view. If it’s fantasy world with magic so the armor here has to be ridiculous not look like armor? Is it some kind of rule? “If something not as in reality – let’s make so that everything will not be as in reality?”. How the fact that people can shoot fire from wooden sticks leads to the fact that they go into battle naked?

You have tons of choices to be covered from head to toe, more choices than those who would like to look good in a game, who don’t wish to pretend this was real. Although if you wish to speak of realism, you’re head to toe covering would in reality be less realistic than a bikini.

Jaina Kitten, Level 80 Elementalist, Main
Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: MissSinfully.2478

MissSinfully.2478

Off topic, but could someone explain all this kitten thing? I’ve never seen a forum use kittens and I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be substituting in my head for it to make sense.

MissSinfully
Sonyanna
Dragonhunter

Posted by: Nyx.7342

Nyx.7342

Off topic, but could someone explain all this kitten thing? I’ve never seen a forum use kittens and I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be substituting in my head for it to make sense.

Its the censorship, its kinda kittenty. Just substitute any curse word of ur choice.

Posted by: Nick.5276

Nick.5276

let us not forget one of the best looking human armour sets in game ever made !

What armor set is this! must have! So Fire! Many black!

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

let us not forget one of the best looking human armour sets in game ever made !

What armor set is this! must have! So Fire! Many black!

Balthazar outfit in the gemstore.

Posted by: Nick.5276

Nick.5276

Awesome! ty Rose

panzer.6034

So, some of them are beautiful art, it’s just hard to view them as any real kind of protection. Yes, I know, it’s a fantasy game with fireballs and giant horned cats, but everybody has something that bothers them even if they know it’s absurd.

Fair enough. It just seems part and parcel with the whole aesthetic of the world, to me. Improbable vehicles, plant people, giant weapons and dragons that could never fly in real life, etc. Armor that’s more about aesthetics than trying to stop all of these ridiculous things seems to fit.

But going “I’d rather have a front line warrior who will be clashing against the enemy and/or beasts in close quarters combat or hand to hand to have decent armor coverage.”

Does not mean

“OMG THAT TANK IS SO UNREALISTIC. AND THAT RACE. GRASAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH”

Armor does not = the entire setting.

People arguing for “realism” in heavy armor have to deal with the concept of versimilitude and that means considering the context of the armor, i.e. “the entire setting”. If your setting is based on everything being over the top with 10’ chainsaw swords, laser guns, improbable vehicles, force fields and 12’ foot long charzookas, then the idea that armors can be equally over the top or unrealistic is perfectly in line with the rest of the game.

Wanting the option for heavy armors that cover everything is perfectly fine (and that option exists!). Some people make the argument that boob plate armor and skimpy heavy armor shouldn’t exist as options in the game because they’re unrealistic and this just doesn’t make sense when you look at the big picture.

Kalavier.1097

I’m surprised only a few people mentioned Phalanx, but I’m glad someone did. Skirt’s a little skimpy, but I love the blend of heavy and cloth aspects- it doesn’t offend my delicate fashion sensibilities as a female.

My issue with the female version is kinda the leg parts of it (not so much the skirt, but the actual leggings and the straps). But even that isn’t a major issue with me.

My TRUE problem with Phalanx is how if you put the male and female versions side by side, they don’t even look like the same set in any way. And the icons show/point toward the male version so it’s a case of “Inventory icon shows this full plate helm… I got something that doesn’t even look like it.” :P

As for your combat comment, the full body covering armor is what is unrealistic. For one thing trying to bring a realism argument into a fantasy game is idiotic at best, but even in real life, you have armies than even in the 20th century would fight nude in certain circumstances because of the need for agility and mobility. If you want to talk realism, then skimpy armor would be a lot more realistic when fighting fantasy creatures because if you could face a dragon, someone in a bikini will survive longer than someone wearing full metal plate.

Knights in full plate armor were fairly mobile, and their armor actually weighed less then modern infantry full combat gear (IIRC).

If somebody was facing a dragon in a bikini, then they’ll die in a single hit. However somebody in full plate armor won’t have to worry about debris slicing their skin. If enchanted, even more protection is granted.

The “Agility and mobility” line comes into play is if the enemy’s attacks can and WILL one shot kill you from the start, and thus you focus on dodging more then ‘tanking’ the blows.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Ah, I think my language issues (english isn’t my native language) might have made people criticize me a lot there.

What I meant to say with the “skimpy” was how the female armor often looks nothing like the male one as it’s more form-fitted and “girly”, basically. Most outfits have this, too, though in some cases it’s ofc on purpose but in others it looks weird.

I would prefer if I could recognize the armor more readily. “This is XYZ”, independent of which race or gender is wearing it. It doesn’t make sense that two completely different-looking armors would even be called the same otherwise. A good example of what I mean is Carapace Light in male vs female. Male doesn’t even have a butterfly on the shoulder, which is one of the most striking components of the female version.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Hm… I think my warrior has quite sexualized armor right now. Ok, it’s a shop armor-skin, but you don’t need to farm an eternity to get the gems.

Human femals can wear this skin too. But if this is still too Ironman for you, you might want to play a norn warrior/guardian instead for 2 more feminine armors:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Norn_cultural_armor/Heavy
(look at the two below, the first armor is not sexy)

Yes, the armour in your screenshot is sexualised, but it is also clunky (where it exists, at all).

Basically, I would like more of the opposite of that.

More coverage (although, not nun-like – a bit of cleavage is fine), but sleek, not clunky, not skirted and instead, following the contours of the body.

As opposed to chunky lumps of metal and skirts in some places and totally bare skin in others.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: Oreithyia.3064

Oreithyia.3064

i thinki a lot of the outfits are pretty good for a MMO. you’ve got skimpy sets, illogical boobwindow sets and some that actually look like they could give some protection.

regardless of heavy, light or medium armor, I like to have some of the female “skimpy” sets for male characters though (grasping death for example or the pants of the babaric, phalanx and aetherblade, sneakthief (medium), wingend (light))
the problem with the guys armor in general is that it pretty difficult to find clothing without a cape, a coat, a skirt or or anything else that covers atleast their backside and gives them nice childbearing, broad hips.
I’d prefer having a male outfit that makes the hips look slim.

totally unrelated, since someone mentioned it, i was really sad when i found out that the male version of the carapace shoulderpieces, doesn’t have butterflies.
If you compare it, the female version is much more striking in its design that the male version. which is pretty sad.

(edited by Oreithyia.3064)

Posted by: Maunzi.3764

Maunzi.3764

Disagreed with a lot of people in the thread.

We have too many skimpy armors already, which already have a lot of variance. We instead need a higher variety of non-skimpy ones. Variety meaning actual differences that are meaningful enough in style.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

We have too many skimpy armors already, which already have a lot of variance. We instead need a higher variety of non-skimpy ones. Variety meaning actual differences that are meaningful enough in style.

Currently around 30% of overall armor are more or less skimpy, I don’t understand how is that “too many skimpy armors” already? Isn’t it skimpy armors are too little and needed to have increased variety like non skimpy armors?

Nevermind, i think the radio at the moment is actually good, please keep this radio Anet, that means MORE ARMOR SKIN FOR BOTH!

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

Currently around 30% of overall armor are more or less skimpy, I don’t understand how is that “too many skimpy armors” already? Isn’t it skimpy armors are too little and needed to have increased variety like non skimpy armors?

Nevermind, i think the radio at the moment is actually good, please keep this radio Anet, that means MORE ARMOR SKIN FOR BOTH!

Because it is generally trendy to say: aaah female armor in video games is too skimpy!

Never mind the fact that the majority of armor sets in game are not skimpy at all.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

Because it is generally trendy to say: aaah female armor in video games is too skimpy!

Never mind the fact that the majority of armor sets in game are not skimpy at all.

That’s correct, while 70% of the player base preferred skimpy armors but their armor choices are actually trimmed down to 30% of all the armors. Somebody don’t like skimpy armors, they saw A LOT of skimpy characters running around and therefore, they believe there are more skimpy armor than non skimpy one. In fact, they are either not doing their research or spreading lies.

Anyways, i personally do not mind having more options for skimpy or non skimpy armor, as long as we get more of both in the long run.

There is nothing wrong to ask for armor type that fit somebody’s athletic sense, but where is the manner to request so by spreading lies? Is it actually fair to the game developer?

(edited by Crossaber.8934)

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

We did have the breakdown for heavy armour, and there, we did have the least amount of skimpy. Not so sure about light and medium, though, and I think that’s what Maunzi is referring to (I did a quick count for light on humans, minus the cultural ones, and came up with 40 skins, 17 of which are what I’d classify as skimpy, in the sense that they either do look that or look like that compared to the male version, which I’d count in here as well for the weird double standard in design).
It can be pretty hard to find something for a light class that doesn’t look like glorified underwear (female) OR some sort of vaguely-patterned robes (male), especially in higher tiers.

For me, it’s not even so much the glorified underwear part, it’s the design itself and the disparity we see. Winged armour is gorgeous on female characters, but it loses a lot of its appeal when switching to the male version – it doesn’t even have the same shoulder piece, which gave it the wings in the first place. Kind of similar for Masquerade, though why they chose the open-front skirt, I have no idea. Even a miniskirt like the Koda armour has would’ve been better than this, but whatever. Point still stands, the male set looks boring by comparison. Also goes for Carapace, Conjurer, Phoenix…
Which does NOT negate the fact that, if you put the set on a male and a female character and put them side by side, the female version has a good chance to look jarringly skimpy compared to the male version, while on its own, the design doesn’t look so bad in many cases and even better than the male robes (so long as you don’t know it’s supposed to be the same set).
It’s like reading only mediocre books all your life, then reading something great, and suddenly, mediocre seems crappy in comparison.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

OMG, the people getting the diapers in a wad over impractical armor in this thread are hilarious!

Here’s a Pro-Tip – if you don’t like an armor set, don’t use it.

Play the way you want, and stop worrying about how other people play.

Kalavier.1097

OMG, the people getting the diapers in a wad over impractical armor in this thread are hilarious!

Here’s a Pro-Tip – if you don’t like an armor set, don’t use it.

Play the way you want, and stop worrying about how other people play.

While true, the topic of the thread is to discuss ABOUT the designs.