BLTP Sale! Gold to Gem Exchange Questions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: FireCrescent.6512

FireCrescent.6512

Please forgive my lack of eloquence and in-depth elaboration, I am not in the best of moods and am rather upset by some ongoing issues that I and my friends have been cold-shouldered over.

Basically, we have a problem. Several problems, actually. But the first one is that you are holding a sale before you even fix the ‘fast one’ you pulled with the Gold to Gem conversion. Not all of us can slave away at farming gold all day every day and not all of us can afford to drop money on gems. Sorry to say, but you’re being awfully ignorant and disrespectful towards disabled and lower-middle and lowclass players. We exist, believe it or not, in great number— and we shouldn’t have to sit on the ‘poor people’ bench and watch everyone else have all the nice things JUST because you want to be greedy and set the bar for gold to gem so high WE can’t touch it.

You have made it completely IMPOSSIBLE for me to acquire the gems I need. The minimum Gold needed to get any Gems being 70g is absolutely horrendous. Especially considering I need 420 more gems, NOT 400 and NOT 800. You RARELY put what I need on sale and it is priced so STEEPLY normally that I can’t ever justify/afford buying it regularly. If only you hadn’t nerfed conversion, I could get what I need. But, hey, guess I’m not your target demographic.

With every update I become more and more disappointed. I play this game as a coping mechanism. . . So this is getting ridiculous, because you’re pushing me away from what used to help me. I have refunds I was never rewarded. Your Black Lion Glitching Post pre-Halloween Update ate all my gold twice and my mate’s gems and you shrugged us off when we ticketed you. I have Storm Wizard tokens I can’t do anything with since you cut out the content before I had time to finish it (how dare me have a life outside your game), I have infinite coins I’ve bought for myself and friends with real money that are collecting dust, I have duplicate King Toad skins that I slaved my butt off for only to be trash-canned by your wardrobe update. I can’t stand playing my new characters anymore because of how you butchered the trait system, and when I asked about that I got shrugged off then as well.

In 2012 this game was incredibly fun but you just keep breaking things and calling it improvement. What the heck even was this Halloween event??? You want to just copy + paste, re-texture, and play us the same story over again, but you can’t even bring back Mad King’s Dungeon. Or the actual achievement for the Clocktower.

I know my words amount to nothing and that I can expect a helping of mocking for my effort, but it is what it is. Thank you for your time and sorry for the whining. Have a good day.

‘10 easy steps to slowly choking your MMO to death’ by the Anet Devs

Posted by: Forgotten Legend.9281

Forgotten Legend.9281

quote from 28 Oct, 2014:

I saw the test of the new interface today and it looks solid to me. (I also happen to think it’s very attractive, but maybe that’s just me. )

The interface and Custom option move into testing now, and the text is already headed to Localization.

The dev team is keenly aware that there are Halloween items available only during a specific period (through November 4) and therefore they intend to do their darnedest to offer the new options in the next few days but certainly in advance of November 4th if humanly possible. (I have confidence this will happen.)

– The Baconnaire

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

What’s on sale? I checked the bltp forum and can’t find anything about a sale.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Things on sale: transmutation charges, hair style and total makeover kits, all boosters, all fuzzy hats, and shadow assassin, chef, and pirate captain outfits.

Things available again: biconics’ weapon skins (including Belinda’s greatsword).

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

Implying it wasn’t done on purpose.

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

Hair kits! Thanks, will hopefully remember to buy them when I get home.

The sale was planned before the huge negative reaction to the updated gem exchange. Shame that people can’t get what they need right now, but the exchange rate is so terrible you have to ask how much you’d really be saving by converting for this sale anyway.

Posted by: Kaldrys.1978

Kaldrys.1978

The sale was planned before the huge negative reaction to the updated gem exchange. Shame that people can’t get what they need right now, but the exchange rate is so terrible you have to ask how much you’d really be saving by converting for this sale anyway.

That’s a good point that many people seem to forget. You’re only actually saving anything if you acquire the gems prior to the exchange spike which is why I’m always baffled when people don’t stock up on gems, especially before seasonal sales. And if you guys think this is bad just wait until the Wintersday sales hit.

Posted by: Exeon.4358

Exeon.4358

It’s already been mentioned several times by Anet that “Very soon” they are going to fix this and not in months or weeks but an upcoming patch

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

It’s not about saving. It’s about anet trying to scam people into buying more gems than they need.
If I want the ninja and pirate outfit right now I have to spend 910 gems. The minimum we can buy is 800 for $10. This wouldn’t be an issue normally because I could just get the 110 missing gems in game. Now I’m forced to either buy $20 of gems to spend 910 or buy an extra 400 for 65g to only spend 110 of them. And in the end I’m stuck with odd amount that can’t be used for anything I want.

Posted by: Terrasque.8735

Terrasque.8735

Exactly, Haishao

It would be easy for them to change the offered gem choices to something more reasonable, but they’re dragging their feet.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, let’s see….

Usually, the Gem prices go up with time. Especially around the holidays. So, you would likely save money (Gold) by purchasing Gems at the early part of the holiday season, rather than later. Perhaps, it’s not some evil plan to gouge, but an alternative to spending more. Stranger things have happened….0.0

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Mrs cedo is correct, gem prices will only increase due to human nature.

Posted by: Schwarzseher.9873

Schwarzseher.9873

Long planned? Maybe. But they already know that there will be a huge negative reaction and instead of delaying the sale until the gem conversion update is outside they still decided to go on and thats whats really kittenes me off. It just show again that “You know what company I mean” only cares about the money in our wallet. They simply want us the be mere numbers who consumes and spend large amounts of real money on the game.

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

It’s not about saving. It’s about anet trying to scam people into buying more gems than they need.
If I want the ninja and pirate outfit right now I have to spend 910 gems. The minimum we can buy is 800 for $10. This wouldn’t be an issue normally because I could just get the 110 missing gems in game. Now I’m forced to either buy $20 of gems to spend 910 or buy an extra 400 for 65g to only spend 110 of them. And in the end I’m stuck with odd amount that can’t be used for anything I want.

You have to remember, it was never their plan to allow you to buy the exact amount of gems you needed. Their pricing structure in the gem store totally reflects that. Anet’s pricing structure is pretty much the same as all of the other mmo cash shops. Why the currency conversion system allows you to buy the exact amount of gems you want is anyone’s guess.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Well, let’s see….

Usually, the Gem prices go up with time. Especially around the holidays. So, you would likely save money (Gold) by purchasing Gems at the early part of the holiday season, rather than later. Perhaps, it’s not some evil plan to gouge, but an alternative to spending more. Stranger things have happened….0.0

gems seem to have found a balance around 11-13g/100. during events/sales they spike to ~16g/100 but recover to 11-13g once the event ends.

it could change, but anet would have to manipulate the gold supply or release true p2w items. pretty sure john likes gold sinks/faucets where they are. pretty sure they wont release anything super overtly p2w.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

The OP felt like “QQ Good players get more money than me” OR “QQ those who play more get more loot than me”.

So If I play guitar for 5 minutes a week, I should be as good as a professional?
Or if I exercise 5 minutes a week I should be able to enter the Olympics?

I may be a bit cynical here, but that’s how it sounded to me.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

God forbid they should want to promote people actually purchasing gems with money, not gold.

The game needs microtransactions to survive, and I beliegve it’s been explained that the gem/gold and gold/gem ratios are dependant on the in game economy and number of gems and gold in circulation.

I highly doubt ANet are tampering with the conversion, but if they are, good on them. If you like the game enough, help support it and pay a little cash every now and then, rather than feeling entitled to getting gems cheap in game and taking advantage of sales intended for gem purchasers that use cash

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Syrpharon.7491

Syrpharon.7491

The OP felt like “QQ Good players get more money than me” OR “QQ those who play more get more loot than me”.

So If I play guitar for 5 minutes a week, I should be as good as a professional?
Or if I exercise 5 minutes a week I should be able to enter the Olympics?

I may be a bit cynical here, but that’s how it sounded to me.

Yeah, you’re being cynical, and yeah, you didn’t understand OP at all.

Since I am in the same situation as OP, I can comply.
I’m a casual player, and by that I don’t mean playing only 1-2 hours per day like most of people strangely believe a casual does, but I mean playing around a bunch of hours per week, and I can possibly not log in for months If I’m being busy with real life issues.

In real life I also don’t have much money, I have to always be careful on my expenses, and I can allow myself one or two whims only if I’ve planned to save money from the last paycheck. I’m studying at the university and doing part-time jobs to sustain me, and I use GW2 to relax. The trials of a student, I guess.

I’ve bought this game because it was advertised as a casual game, where you could enjoy content and feel free to log in whenever you wanted and still being competitive.
Ok fine, sounds good, but later on I understood that the real content in this game is not the gear, but the fashion. They have underlined this thousands of times making it look like it was a revolution in the gaming world.

If you make fashion your main content, then you should expect people to value skins more than anything else, like it happened. The entire purpose to play the game then becomes to make your character pretty with the skins you want.
In the games of today, you don’t win with more stats, you win with shiny skins.
Problem is, these skins are locked behind long grind and high prices, and casual players like me or the OP don’t have time nor money to invest.

So what? Either a person forces himself to be satisfied with some of the core skins, or he simply goes away because he knows that he will never have resources to get the skins he wants.
I would expect this from a real life business, not from a virtual product made to entertain, especially one where you are supposed to forget about the limits of your real life.
Do I feel entertained? No.
I just feel frustrated because I know that I will never have the opportunity to enjoy what is one of the best parts of the game. I feel frustrated because I’m reminded of my real conditions even if I need to turn off the brain. What’s worse, Arenanet is doing nothing to help players like me, and instead makes things even worse, not only on the skins, but also on the story, now locked behind prices as well.

As a customer and a player I feel ignored and teased: it’s true that I bought the game on a sale discount, but I would logically expect to be able to enjoy ALL of its content, and not just some of it.
If things must go on like this, it’s ok, my situation makes me automatically a non investor. I’m just sad because this game has become like any other.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Patched.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

And point now moot as the new exchange is up. We still don’t get exact change when selling Gems and we can’t specify the number of Gems we want to sell, only gold we want back, but for buying Gems, it’s “fixed”. Still not the original interface but it’ll work for me.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

The Currency Exchange was updated this morning to allow players to purchase gems or gold in increments of their choosing. Because of this, I believe this thread is moot, and therefore we’ll close it.

But to address some of the other comments I believe I see here:

If you are suggesting that the exchange rate was somehow tinkered with, that question has already been addressed in this thread and specifically in this post. Such conjecture has been reviewed and found to be completely inaccurate.

If you are suggesting that all new development of every kind — from convenience items to appearance options — should be offered for free, please reconsider that opinion. Much is offered for free, but we need financial support — as any business does — in order to continue to support the game and to offer expanded content such as our Living World episodes. Imagine any business, from a grocery store to a car manufacturer, offering everything they produce in the future on a no-cost basis. It’s not possible in the real world and it’s simply not possible in game development, either, and particularly in a game that does not charge a monthly fee. Voluntary, individual support of our Gem Store is an essential element that allows us to continue to support the game and to continue to offer expanded content, feature additions, and many other things on a free basis to every player.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet