Best Established MMO of 2014 - Guild Wars 2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

http://www.tentonhammer.com/galleries/ten-ton-hammer-best-of-2014-awards#3

Best Established MMO – Guild Wars 2

The winner of our game of the year award two years in a row, Guild Wars 2 remains one of the best MMOs on the market in 2014. Living World Season 2 is a shining example of how to inject meaningful, story-driven gameplay updates into an established MMO, and is just one of the many reasons why the Ten Ton Hammer editors selected Guild Wars 2 as our Best Established MMO of 2014.

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

Who’s Ten Ton Hammer again? Literally never heard of them.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Yeah, no.

Good try, but no, just no.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

GW2 could win awards at release and I am confident that it is still a nice game. However, comparing how it was at release and what the company could have done the 2 years that followed.. it is just sad to see that not much has happened. Yes, GW2 is probably doing well, profit-wise and it has a huge population and it is still on the lists of most played online games. However, it is on a decline and without an expansion, proving that Anet is capable of returning the lost glory, GW2 will just end up as a successful MMO-release with no actual follow-up which is kinda rare in the MMO industry.

Since WoW, this has been the most successful commercial release. It is just sad that such a huge accomplishment would eventually fade away because the company wouldn’t take the right direction.

PS. I am not saying it is late. I still believe that GW2’s popularity can explode with a well-done expansion however I am persoanlly against the fact that LS can be enough as an updating-model. Even if it gets improved and we start to get everything from it. Still, it will not have the same promotional impact as an expansion. A game doesn’t only need happy players, it also needs promotional doses to hype it up in a good way. GW is luckily in a good position if something is to come up. The question is though if there is actually stuff to come..

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

GW2 could win awards at release and I am confident that it is still a nice game. However, comparing how it was at release and what the company could have done the 2 years that followed.. it is just sad to see that not much has happened. Yes, GW2 is probably doing well, profit-wise and it has a huge population and it is still on the lists of most played online games. However, it is on a decline and without an expansion, proving that Anet is capable of returning the lost glory, GW2 will just end up as a successful MMO-release with no actual follow-up which is kinda rare in the MMO industry.

Since WoW, this has been the most successful commercial release. It is just sad that such a huge accomplishment would eventually fade away because the company wouldn’t take the right direction.

PS. I am not saying it is late. I still believe that GW2’s popularity can explode with a well-done expansion however I am persoanlly against the fact that LS can be enough as an updating-model. Even if it gets improved and we start to get everything from it. Still, it will not have the same promotional impact as an expansion. A game doesn’t only need happy players, it also needs promotional doses to hype it up in a good way. GW is luckily in a good position if something is to come up. The question is though if there is actually stuff to come..

Im pretty sure its not Anets fault, Anet are people with talent everyone can tell you that, is more like NCsoft, once again limiting them on doing mostly Gem store content for profit rather than actual content, this publisher is awful and this is the last time i bought an MMO from them. Anet dont forget, there are always kick starters, wink wink…

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

yes, let’s remove ncsoft from the equation and see what a miraculous thing the guildwars franchise becomes.. said no one adhering to logic, ever..

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Umm, they’ve been around for a long time and do these Best Of MMO reviews every year.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Congratulations, ArenaNet. On that note, sure would be nice if just one of these threads didn’t have you negative Nancies dragging out your talking points over and over again.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Anyandrell.6238

Anyandrell.6238

Cracks me up when I see people suggesting kickstarters to a company that has a revenue of several tens of millions of US dollars. What you gonna do with the kickstarter? Raise enough money to buy the air freshener in the company’s restrooms? Because I doubt it will be enough to buy tp for a month.

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

Cracks me up when I see people suggesting kickstarters to a company that has a revenue of several tens of millions of US dollars. What you gonna do with the kickstarter? Raise enough money to buy the air freshener in the company’s restrooms? Because I doubt it will be enough to buy tp for a month.

it is obvious that you didnt get the point

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Best MMO of 2014 is, hands down, Warlords of Draenor. Over 4 million players returning to the game made the choice and brought the award.

Guild Wars 2 is okay, but unless they baked the expansion for 2015, I can’t see it’s success.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

They can call it what they like but for this fan of the original, this game was, and continues to be, a major disappointment.

downed state is bad for PVP

cheshirefox.7026

yeah, i’m definitely resubbing my warcraft.. to be fair though, i have little complaint for ncsoft’s other titles this year.. and after reading this article, i’m afraid i can’t take anything off that site seriously

i can outswim a centaur!

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

Neat! Guild Wars 2 is by far my favorite MMO of all time. GW2 is the only MMO out there that I am willing to spend tons of hours and money into without any regrets. No other games out there come even close to this one imo.

Honestly, if it was not for GW2, I would have given up on MMOs a long time ago.

Posted by: Marauding Scum.6728

Marauding Scum.6728

You are quite oblivious to the size of things kickstarter has funded/help fund so far, do you think a game like Star Citizen is something to scoff at?

but I agree with you somewhat, I doubt the reason we are not seeing an expansion is lack of funds or something like that.

Posted by: Schwarzseher.9873

Schwarzseher.9873

1. Ten Ton Hammer?? Never heard of it until now.
2. Gw2 is only a feble shadow of it former self after release more than 2 years ago. Either the other games are even worse or the election isnt really representative. Im sure that other review sites and magazines had a different outcome in theirs.

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Best MMO of 2014 is, hands down, Warlords of Draenor. Over 4 million players returning to the game made the choice and brought the award.

Guild Wars 2 is okay, but unless they baked the expansion for 2015, I can’t see it’s success.

Huge surge of players returning for an expansion isn’t all that surprising. It’s a given really for WoW. It’s if Blizzard is able to keep them all after they finish all the content within a couple months is the real hurdle. Because after all that, they only thing really keeping people playing and paying is dailies and rerunning raids.

I would probably think about going back myself for awhile, but them giving their players year long content droughts, this coming for a multi-billion dollar company, burned out any good will I have towards them. (Them adding a cash store didn’t help matters at all.)

(edited by Erukk.1408)

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

GW2 is a good fresh mmo for newcomers but….

1st month – oh great game, graphics, love pvp, wvw, pve, I will play it every day.
2nd month – Its super game dungeons are great I play mostly every day.
3rd month – It’s ok game but feeling something is missin dont play long like before.
4th month – I am bored, nothing to do, gone to other mmo for a while but i will be back.

a year later – I am back anything new? Nope, well too bad :/…..

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

GW2 is a good fresh mmo for newcomers but….

1st month – oh great game, graphics, love pvp, wvw, pve, I will play it every day.
2nd month – Its super game dungeons are great I play mostly every day.
3rd month – It’s ok game but feeling something is missin dont play long like before.
4th month – I am bored, nothing to do, gone to other mmo for a while but i will be back.

a year later – I am back anything new? Nope, well too bad :/…..

Other than the year later, I hear the same thing bout WoD. Unless you care bout raiding.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

You are quite oblivious to the size of things kickstarter has funded/help fund so far, do you think a game like Star Citizen is something to scoff at?

but I agree with you somewhat, I doubt the reason we are not seeing an expansion is lack of funds or something like that.

Ok, no, that’s funny. Kickstarter was a tiny infinitesimal fraction of Star Citizen’s success. It wasn’t even the original campaign. They added it to give funders a better way to access them.

There is no other crowd funded project in the history of crowd funding that has done as well as Star Citizen, and Star Citizen’s success cannot even come close to guaranteeing even the slightest level of success to any other company or project. They only got a couple million of there 60+ million out of kickstarter anyway.

It’s possible that ANet could have similar results. A couple million at best. But a couple million is a drop in the bucket for what they would actually need to do anything. All that couple million can do for a game company is prove to a producer that there are people willing to pay for it.

In this case they already have a producer, and a couple million isn’t going to impress them when they already have all the rights to the game anyway and can do what they want with it.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Filaha.1678

Umm, they’ve been around for a long time and do these Best Of MMO reviews every year.

That’s cool.

I still have never heard of them before. And considering the number of video game forums I frequent, that’s a significant achievement.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

That’s cool.

I still have never heard of them before. And considering the number of video game forums I frequent, that’s a significant achievement.

I first heard of them when I was playing City of Heroes, but I only recently discovered it was an organization and not just a random fanboy. So it’s not that significant of an achievement. They’re not terribly relevant.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

That’s cool.

I used their leveling guides eons ago back in the early days of WoW when you needed to grind mobs in specific areas to level. This was also in the days of Thottbot, may be before your time

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m pretty surprised some of you haven’t heard of Ten Ton Hammer. It’s better, over all, than most of the MMO sites online. That and Kill Ten Rats are the sites I enjoy most.

Filaha.1678

That’s cool.

I used their leveling guides eons ago back in the early days of WoW when you needed to grind mobs in specific areas to level. This was also in the days of Thottbot, may be before your time

Don’t patronize me.

I’m clearly not the only person that’s never heard of them, especially so since I’ve not seen them mentioned on any of the forums I go to before.

Doesn’t matter how long you’ve been going there. Doesn’t make them important.

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

More proof that the forums are the worst place to visit when you want to learn about new video games… And I don’t mean the original post, but the shovelstorm of bitter vitriole following it.

Congratulations ArenaNET, WELL DESERVED.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

And masses of them already left again because they are bored after 2 weeks or flame the forums about the worst expansion ever.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Serophous.9085

That’s cool.

Don’t patronize me.

I’m clearly not the only person that’s never heard of them, especially so since I’ve not seen them mentioned on any of the forums I go to before.

So if one person hasn’t heard of them, they must not be important?

Schwarzseher.9873

And masses of them already left again because they are bored after 2 weeks or flame the forums about the worst expansion ever.

At least they had an expansion.

Serophous.9085

Yeah, but think about it. $60 + $15 for two weeks of entertainment….

Filaha.1678

That’s cool.

Don’t patronize me.

Yes, that’s correct.

Schwarzseher.9873

That’s cool.

Don’t patronize me.

Yes, that’s correct.

In this case many players havent ever heard of them. At least not in Europe.

Beldin.5498

Yeah, but think about it. $60 + $15 for two weeks of entertainment….

I already see the flames if ANet would bring out an expansion like that for $60 :

ANet you are so gready .. you just want to milk the money out of us .. expansion sucks ..

and i can’t even imagine what would be happen if they then announce :
ok .. we moved away from living story to expansions .. now this was all for the next
2 years so far beside maybe some new dungeons that only the top 5% of the players
are able to beat.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Tentonhammer does still exist?

Well, what is their method of measuring this “best”?

Established MMO #1: Regained 4.000.000 subscribers with a single expansion this year. Looks like success to me.

Established MMO #2: Expanded to China with very limited success (being kind here) while just trying to keep the status quo in the West. Sounds not as successful as MMO #1 to me.

Logic? Tentonhammer is not good at it.

Beldin.5498

Established MMO #1: Regained 4.000.000 subscribers with a single expansion this year. Looks like success to me.

WoW in the end is simply the McDonalds of MMOs .. but does McDonalds really sell the best meal worldwide ?

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

Considering their heavy pro GW2 bias in prior pieces, this isn’t suprising. Most of their GW2 related stuff reads like ANet propaganda anyway.
Not saying the game is bad but there is a lot they could do better and it certainly doesn’t deserve best established MMO of 2014 :/

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

Established MMO #2: Expanded to China with very limited success (being kind here) while just trying to keep the status quo in the West. Sounds not as successful as MMO #1 to me.

Since when does any MMO ind the industry compete with MMO #1?

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

“We were number two to World of Warcraft with Guild Wars, now we want to beat them. We’ll be satisfied when the Guild Wars 2 is the most successful MMO… One MMO has been on the top of the heap for seven years now, but there’s been a progression in the industry for other games being able to attract more and more players. And we’re set to climb to the top.”

-Mike O’brien

(edited by Fernling.1729)

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

“We’re in it to win it this time,” said O’Brien. “We were number two to World of Warcraft with Guild Wars, now we want to beat them. We’ll be satisfied when the Guild Wars 2 is the most successful MMO."

-Mike O’brien

Well now they’re #3, which isn’t bad at all. #3 however isn’t #1.

Ardenwolfe.8590

This bears repeating: The winner of our game of the year award two years in a row, Guild Wars 2 remains one of the best MMOs on the market in 2014. Living World Season 2 is a shining example of how to inject meaningful, story-driven gameplay updates into an established MMO, and is just one of the many reasons why the Ten Ton Hammer editors selected Guild Wars 2 as our Best Established MMO of 2014.

As one can read, they’re basing the decision on the story-driven gameplay and updates among many reasons not disclosed. And apparently, Guild Wars 2 is a twice-in-a-row winner.

Regaining 4 million players means you also lost 4 million players. So, logically, calling this established, given the criteria of releases and updates, isn’t sound.

Please keep this in mind.

Edit:

“We’re in it to win it this time,” said O’Brien. “We were number two to World of Warcraft with Guild Wars, now we want to beat them. We’ll be satisfied when the Guild Wars 2 is the most successful MMO."

-Mike O’brien

That’s pretty much the definition of a rah-rah-rah statement. Not a mission one. Let’s keep it in context please.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Kaiyanwan.8521

This bears repeating: The winner of our game of the year award two years in a row, Guild Wars 2 remains one of the best MMOs on the market in 2014. Living World Season 2 is a shining example of how to inject meaningful, story-driven gameplay updates into an established MMO, and is just one of the many reasons why the Ten Ton Hammer editors selected Guild Wars 2 as our Best Established MMO of 2014.

As one can read, they’re basing the decision on the story-driven gameplay and updates among many reasons not disclosed. And apparently, Guild Wars 2 is a twice-in-a-row winner.

Regaining 4 million players means you also lost 4 million players. So, logically, calling this established, given the criteria of releases and updates, isn’t sound.

They lost 4 million players and were still the strongest MMO in the West. It is a sub based game, convincing 4 mio people to pay a fee every month next to also buying a full price expansion tells a lot. They actually give numbers of active accounts, because they have enough players and faith in their product.

How many active players has GW2? Nope, no official statement. Accounts created doesn’t tell us kitten in a B2P game.

And seriously, ANet got the title for the story?
Look at Season 2, do you (or tentonhammer) even realize how little story there is? If story was a factor, than this is even worse a joke of a descision. Other MMOs offered way more story-driven gameplay updates, called content patches or expansions.

Look a LotRO, three major content patches (not even counting the expansion which hit end of 2013), tons of story driven gameplay + many regions + new class. How does GW2 come even close to that?

The LS is slow, meager and more offline than online. This should have been a negative criteria for GW2…

Vayne.8563

Or they don’t measure success based on advertising budget. Who’d have thunk it.

I have people in my guild who played the WoW expansion, found they had nothing to do because of how dumbed down WoW has become and they’re back here. Imagine that.

Ardenwolfe.8590

They lost 4 million players and were still the strongest MMO in the West. It is a sub based game, convincing 4 mio people to pay a fee every month next to also buying a full price expansion tells a lot. They actually give numbers of active accounts, because they have enough players and faith in their product.

How many active players has GW2? Nope, no official statement. Accounts created doesn’t tell us kitten in a B2P game.

And seriously, ANet got the title for the story?
Look at Season 2, do you (or tentonhammer) even realize how little story there is? If story was a factor, than this is even worse a joke of a descision. Other MMOs offered way more story-driven gameplay updates, called content patches or expansions.

Look a LotRO, three major content patches (not even counting the expansion which hit end of 2013), tons of story driven gameplay + many regions + new class. How does GW2 come even close to that?

The LS is slow, meager and more offline than online. This should have been a negative criteria for GW2…

For God’s sakes, I’m not the one who gave ArenaNet the award. Calm down. It’s not like they called your baby ugly by giving someone else the title.

Take it up with Ten Hammers if you feel that strongly about it.

Gone to Reddit.

Kaiyanwan.8521

I have people in my guild who played the WoW expansion, found they had nothing to do because of how dumbed down WoW has become and they’re back here. Imagine that.

Fighting fire with fire. Hard to imaging that anyone would come back to GW2 for its complexity…

GW2 is not a bad game. But this award is just too much credit for the very little we got.

cheshirefox.7026

this “award” has as much credibility as wooden potatoes giving gw2 ‘game of the year’

i can outswim a centaur!

Ardenwolfe.8590

Actually, I have a ton of respect for Wooden Potatoes given the information he gives to the community with his videos. So, if he in fact did give Guild Wars 2 Game of the Year, I’d give him more credibility.

Plus throwing him under the bus to make a point, and a poor one at that, wasn’t necessary.

But maybe that’s just me.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Vayne.8563

Fighting fire with fire. Hard to imaging that anyone would come back to GW2 for its complexity…

GW2 is not a bad game. But this award is just too much credit for the very little we got.

They’re not coming back for it’s complexity. They’re coming back because this is, currently, a better MMO to them than the one they left. It’s happened to a lot of people over a lot of games.

And you might say, well you know, the industry sucks. No one has made a good MMO in recent years.

That may or may not be true. But if that is true, and this is the best of them, it deserves the award. I certainly think it’s better than other MMOs, including WoW.

It doesn’t have the advertising budget, and it didn’t have the timing WoW had, but that doesn’t mean it’s not as good or better.

Beldin.5498

Funny thing is that all those people, that want to tell us how great the new WoW expansion is, are still / again here instead in the WoW forums.

If i would change the game because i found one that is soooo much better, i would
also be in the forum of that game, instead of hanging around in the forum of a game
that i don’t even like anymore.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

GW2 still the best MMO out there. Could be better of course, but as long as competition is dated (WoW) on Asian garbage (AA) Anet has nothing to worry about.

One – Piken Square

Ardenwolfe.8590

Funny thing is that all those people, that want to tell us how great the new WoW expansion is, are still / again here instead in the WoW forums.

If i would change the game because i found one that is soooo much better, i would
also be in the forum of that game, instead of hanging around in the forum of a game
that i don’t even like anymore.

We have a winner. Give that man a prize.

Gone to Reddit.