Blue get to buy but pink has to gamble?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tomkatt.1684

Tomkatt.1684

Well, I hate RNG to death, but are you saying ladies can’t buy a blue Quaggan? I’m assuming the pink backpack is random for all, correct? You’re misrepresenting this a bit.

…But I still hate RNG so I wish you could just buy it.

Posted by: Toxyn.9608

Toxyn.9608

Sexist is assuming all boys want the blue one and all girls want the pink one.

“The fatal flaw in every plan is the assumption that you know more than your enemy.”

Antonius Duarte – Elementalist – Kaineng

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

I don’t even know what to say to this.

Color does not define what gender you are. Those days are way behind us. Females appreciate blue just as men appreciate pink. Females do not have rights to the color pink and just because something is pink, does not mean it is instantly only for females.

There is nothing sexist about it at all. You are just looking too far into it. It is a unique skin that is exclusive to the Black Lion Chest. Same as the Tiger Charr Backpack.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

I think it was more just to have a “rare” skin in the BLC. Like the Tiger Charr.

Unfortunately, rather than create a whole slew of random colored quaggans (I’m holding out for a polka-dotted or striped quaggan backpack), they decided to put the “female” bag in the BLC.

I’m not sure why, as it probably doesn’t really appeal to guys very much. (I’m not overly crazy about either version, to be honest… I may get a Charr one, though.)

I know that in MMOs, guys supposedly play more often as female characters. (I try to split mine 50/50.) So maybe someone at ArenaNet noticed that the character gender tends to skew female and decided to put it in the BLC.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if the pink quaggan bag didn’t eventually appear as its own 300 gem purchase. It’s more, or less, just ArenaNet trying to sell Black Lion keys (which I don’t imagine very many people buy, from the dwindling cost of Black Lion chests on the TP.)

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

I have always wondered why a developer doesn’t use the model: Gamble to get it first and then a month or two later make it a direct buy.
There are always people that want it ‘right now’ and will take that chance. And there are those that will never gamble to get it. So why not please both groups and allow the gamble then later convert to a direct buy. The developer gets money both times. Plus if they make the gamble cheaper than the direct buy, some will still take the chance.

I wouldn’t call it sexist just more ways to play the current lottery. I have seen plenty of male characters in magenta, pink, purple and all shades in between.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Posted by: Kilrain Daggerspine.6843

Kilrain Daggerspine.6843

Im a man, and I want that sexy pink quaggan backpack! tbh i’d say any quaggan is pretty “girly” by nature.

don’t worry though pink backpack will drop in price quickly.

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

I have always wondered why a developer doesn’t use the model: Gamble to get it first and then a month or two later make it a direct buy.
There are always people that want it ‘right now’ and will take that chance. And there are those that will never gamble to get it. So why not please both groups and allow the gamble then later convert to a direct buy. The developer gets money both times. Plus if they make the gamble cheaper than the direct buy, some will still take the chance.

I wouldn’t call it sexist just more ways to play the current lottery. I have seen plenty of male characters in magenta, pink, purple and all shades in between.

With the way RNG is in Guild Wars 2 (“May the odds be ever against you”), I doubt keys make them all that much. Intelligent people learn not to mess with fire after getting burned.

Posted by: Rovus.5428

Rovus.5428

Hey now, pink is the manliest of colours.

Anyway, I shouldn’t have to mention colours aren’t the defining factor of preferences between genders. Now, why they won’t let you buy the pink one at all I cannot fathom.

“Subtus pennas meas, pinnas meas interitum”

Alatum Interitum

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Many people including my self have been asking for two tone dyeable back-pieces. Anet will sell 5x as many Quaggan back packs, if they do this.

Posted by: Manoa.5897

Manoa.5897

You know, I see more guys wearing pink in this game than ladies.

Chaos Spatulai [Chef] | Paragon City Elite [PCE]
Henge of Denravi

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Why should the Quaggan backpack be blue/white or pink/white. Maybe I want red/black, red/dark purple, or metallic.

Anet give use these options to buy Quaggan backpacks for 300 gems.
1st Male Quaggan
2st female Quaggan with bow
3rd Add a metallic version that is dyeable too
And make both two tone dyeable.

(edited by Onshidesigns.1069)

Posted by: Heinel.6548

Heinel.6548

It’s just a skin… Newer things will come next month. If you don’t like the marketing offer, don’t buy it. This looks like an attempt to gauge how the community reacts to different kinds of offer.

Vote with your wallet. Anet is a business, they can only comply.

“… but I hate the idea ‘It may not make sense at first’.
I want it to make sense right away, then another sense later. Murkiness =/= quality "
- CCP Abraxis

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

The whole blue for boys and pink for girls thing is relatively modern in western society. Prior to the 20th century it would have been quite common for men to wear pink and girls to wear blue. Pink tights used to be quite commonly worn by men during the Middle Ages.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

When have you ever seen a pink quaggan? It’s a backpack shaped like a normal one and you can gamble for a backpack shaped like a horribly disfigured, mutant quaggan with a love of tiny bows.

Gender issue solved…

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: CalvinHobbes.3541

CalvinHobbes.3541

My female Asura loves her blue Quaggan backpack. Perhaps some day she can add a pink one to her collection. Either way she has never considered one to be specific to girls and one specific to boys.

“It’s a magical world, Hobbes, ol’ buddy… Let’s go exploring!”

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

8/10

I am appreciative of this thread

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I always thought Pink was a manly color that showed people you fear nothing.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

I’m sorry but with those hearts on it’s hands and feet and the bow, boy or girl, I had to have one.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: poziix.7285

poziix.7285

It’s not pink – it’s “light red” ;-)

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

If men want to have girly things they shouldn’t be penalized either

I love how people use the words penalized, punished, forced … it’s so pathetic it’s funny.

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

Pink was originally considered a bold color, the color of young men. Blue was considered passive and as such the color of young women. However none of this was actually official it was simply personal taste and speculation.

Assuming by your post that you’re female, you really don’t seem to be doing your gender any favors by posting in ignorance.

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

real men wear pink

Posted by: Huechi.2658

Huechi.2658

Wow, okay, a lot of misogyny going on here. Clearly women share a hivemind and what one woman says or does is representative of all other women.
I don’t agree with the OP’s viewpoint, but I do wish the pink quaggan backpack wasn’t RNG. I’d rather pay a set amount than deal with uncertainty, so not going to try for it.

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

I think the quaggan backpacks are ugly. The Dreamer makes me want to vomit.

I knew I wasn’t the only person who felt this way. Quaggans are far from cute and the Dreamer has to be the worst, by a very, very, very, very wide margin, weapon ever created in any game.

I honestly thought they posted that as a joke when they first mentioned it and then I saw it in the game…. and I cried a little on the inside. How they have fallen.

To those who say it is a joke weapon…. They could make a joke weapon without WASTING a legendary status on it. This is not the only “joke legendary” sadly.

What once was a great company that made a great game and had decent balance, not great or outstanding, between professions is now in shambles. The balance between professions is a joke in Guild Wars 2. The sPvP matches are littered with Elementalist/Mesmers/Rangers/Guardians… WvW is littered with Elementalist/Mesmers/Rangers/Thiefs….. it is just a joke at this point.

The game is still slightly fun for the dungeons and new style of combat, but I think overall I would have been more happy if they kept the old Guild Wars style.

That was off topic, I know.

The RNG is just another thing that Anet is doing wrong. The OP is slightly correct when asking why put this new item on a RNG. It makes no sense other than to drain a little bit of cash out of one millionth of the population that still plays. They would make more money putting these items directly into the gem store. Just look at how many blue Quaggan back packs there are in the world. I have yet to see one pink.

As to the claim that it is sexist……… really?

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

It’s not pink. It’s salmon.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Real men wear pink.

Furthermore I support breast cancer awareness. The more breasts, the merrier. Therefor all my toons are dyed pink.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

I’m talking about the Blue and Pink Quaggan backpacks. Ladies have to pay more and pray they get lucky, but the men can just buy theirs in a instant.

The Charr packs are not split between male and female but the Quaggan are. Why?

Seems a little sexist to me. I get you want to make money but this feels like a slap in the face.

Not trying to start stuff, just sharing my feelings.

The assumptions you’re making about gendered preferences make me uncomfortable.

I’m a female (IRL and in game) and I like the blue one better.

Posted by: CC Meinke.2749

CC Meinke.2749

Community Coordinator

Hello, please refrain from personally attacking each other for your color preferences and from posting prejudices in this thread. Please proceed discussing the original topic.

Thank you.

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

Color does not define what gender you are. Those days are way behind us. Females appreciate blue just as men appreciate pink. …

Actually, you are quite wrong about this, the pink for girls thinking is far, far more prevalent then it was when I was young.

It is not that long ago that this was mostly true, at least for boys, you see, pink is a type of red and red stands for aggression, which was (is?) a ‘manly trait’

(edited by frans.8092)

Posted by: EndlessDreamer.6780

EndlessDreamer.6780

The Blue Quaggan Backpack is actually based off of a female Quaggan. The Pink Quaggan is based off of a male Quaggan who has a particular fondness for bows. I have spent days in the Priory poring over ancient texts in order to figure this out.

Though seriously, it’s very hard to tell. It took me days of copious study to even realize that Quaggan had different sexes. I still don’t know if the concept of gender matters to Quaggan. Quaggan are Quaggan and Quaggan like you. Quaggan go Coo and are adorable unless made mad. The idea of gendering Quaggan seems like a very overly complicated task that will yield few benefits. Whether or not Quaggan are a female or male dominated society is also up in the air, though chances are the answer is “Quaggan choose best Quaggan for the job. You humans are very confusing.”

Posted by: AlietteFaye.7316

AlietteFaye.7316

Color does not define what gender you are. Those days are way behind us. Females appreciate blue just as men appreciate pink. …

Actually, you are quite wrong about this, the pink for girls thinking is far, far more prevalent then it was when I was young.

It is not that long ago that this was mostly true, at least for boys, you see, pink is a type of red and red stands for aggression, which was (is?) a ‘manly trait’

How is he wrong? Just because things are blue or pink, does not mean that they are tied to one gender. Both genders can like any color, it isn’t ANet’s or anybody else’s fault if you want the one that happens to come from Black Lion Chests.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

Posted by: Laii.2780

Laii.2780

Hello, please refrain from personally attacking each other for your color preferences and from posting prejudices in this thread. Please proceed discussing the original topic.

Thank you.

To be fair the OP has a very charged thread title that is prejudice by assumption. Also they’re continuing to make sexist remarks with reguards to gender roles and color perception. :>

On topic: What?~ Blu an Pink quaggy backpack are both cute, what does it matter one is form Black Lion Chest and the other is form gemstore*. It has nothing to do with you OR your characters gender/sex.

[CERN] ~ WAR/Necro^ O ^)/!

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

Who cares.

I want a baby Quaggan Mini, NOW!

Regardless of colour!

Pretty please…?

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Avatar.1923

quaggan backpacks are for girls, or guys who want a girly character.

the color wont change that fact

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

I don’t even know what to say to this.

Color does not define what gender you are. Those days are way behind us. Females appreciate blue just as men appreciate pink. Females do not have rights to the color pink and just because something is pink, does not mean it is instantly only for females.

There is nothing sexist about it at all. You are just looking too far into it. It is a unique skin that is exclusive to the Black Lion Chest. Same as the Tiger Charr Backpack.

Besides, pink used to be a guys color.

It’s just most of the proof is in black and white photos.

Posted by: Jordy.1570

Jordy.1570

its funny how anet is ignoring nearly every post on this forum…. the only answers r in the most ridiculous topis…..

Posted by: ElenaDragon.8401

ElenaDragon.8401

I don’t like the pink one and I’m female. :P Blue is great for me.

Posted by: TigerDragon.4037

TigerDragon.4037

Sorry in advance, but it had to be done:

Sinking ships in WvW on SBI with pride.
Plastered Tyrian Sea Devils [PTSD]
Agadar.4931: A bad mesmer still poops clones like no tomorrow.

Posted by: Pradton.8576

Pradton.8576

Well I hope this isn’t a serious topic… societies social constructs of color and gender surely aren’t being taken seriously by someone? O.o

Posted by: cargan.5689

cargan.5689

Clearly women share a hivemind .

Been certain of that for years, how does your mother,wif,GF instantly know what your up to other wise

Tell Aunt Mabel something and everyone else in the family knows , its a hive mind i tell you

Ulfar SOR

Posted by: Tannith.2960

Tannith.2960

Interesting read on the history of gender specific clothes and colours

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/When-Did-Girls-Start-Wearing-Pink.html?c=y&page=1

Posted by: MrLT.6028

MrLT.6028

Only one I would buy is the Orca quaggan backpack. But you can’t get it through any means yet. It is in the game yet. Here are the previews for the new backpacks:
Pink Quaggan: [&AgFGmgAA]
Green Quaggan: [&AgFKmgAA]
Purple Quaggan: [&AgFemgAA]
Orca Quaggan: [&AgFimgAA]

White Charr: [&AgFmmgAA]
Yellow Charr: [&AgFOmgAA]
Orange Charr: [&AgFSmgAA]
Brown Charr: [&AgFWmgAA]
Black Charr: [&AgFamgAA]

Caritas Æternum [BT]
80 Human Ele
#magswag

Posted by: Lane.3410

Lane.3410

White Charr: [&AgFmmgAA]

OMG, it’s Tybalt!

Attachments:

Posted by: stobie.2134

stobie.2134

quaggan backpacks are for girls, or guys who want a girly character.

the color wont change that fact

Ya, tell that to the huge Norn Warrior I just saw with his little Quaggan backpack. Whoever the guy is, I love him.

Posted by: nicbet.1820

nicbet.1820

2250 Gems later … no pink quaggan backpack. I have to keep on looking. Just thinking it’s kind of unfair that you can get the “blue” for boys ones for 300 gems and the rest of us has to pray to the random number gods :-( And yes, I can totally see how this could feels sexist…

Posted by: Nhalx.9735

Nhalx.9735

Well I hope this isn’t a serious topic… societies social constructs of color and gender surely aren’t being taken seriously by someone? O.o

Of course not.
They should’ve made a striped quaggan. /////

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

2250 Gems later … no pink quaggan backpack. I have to keep on looking.

Someone in the marketing department just earned a big bonus.

Posted by: stobie.2134

stobie.2134

Well, if they want to earn a triple bonus, they’ll make little Quaggan dolls because I’d be ordering them by the crate load.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

And yes, I can totally see how this could feels sexist…

I dunno…how many pink quagans do you see in the game? The way I see it, you can buy the common types which just so happen to be blue. Now if it was a yellow quagan instead of a pink one, would you feel it less sexist? Maybe, but pink is probably cuter.

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

2250 Gems later … no pink quaggan backpack. I have to keep on looking. Just thinking it’s kind of unfair that you can get the “blue” for boys ones for 300 gems and the rest of us has to pray to the random number gods :-( And yes, I can totally see how this could feels sexist…

The easiest way to stop this is to not participate. If lots of folks didn’t gamble on the chests, obviously they wouldn’t put the items in the chests.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!