Broken Intentions: It's been 6 months

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sithaco.4673

Sithaco.4673

Edit: Changed the title due to their being a absolutely huge difference between a promise and an intention.

Around this time last year, Arenanet posted this blog post telling us about all awesome and wonderful things they will be implementing before the end of 2013, I’m not here to flame Arenanet, but it’s been 6 months since the end of 2013, and still a lot of things that we were told we would be getting still aren’t here.

This is a list of all the things we were told would be implemented in 2013 that haven’t been put into the game yet, all things outside of the brackets are direct quotes from the blog post, I added in the bold:

• “We’ll begin regularly adding new skills and traits to the game for each profession to expand your characters and builds!” (We’ve only had 1 healing skill added for each profession, and only 5 new traits for each profession.)
  • “We’ll expand all crafting professions to allow them to reach a new milestone: 500 points!” (Well, they must have meant all but jeweler and cooking).
  • “We aren’t quite ready to go into all the details here, but what I can say is you will see a specific way to build precursor items on your way to a legendary.” (Yeah, this never happened).
  • “On top of this, you’ll also see new legendary weapons and new types of legendary gear in 2013.” (This definitely didn’t happen).

I’m not here to complain or demand my rights or something, I’m just here to point out the facts, it’s been 6 months since this stuff was meant to come out and we haven’t heard a single word on it. I remember leading up to the final patches of last year, getting excited because I knew that new legendaries would be coming out soon, and then patch after patch slipped by, and nothing. That was over half a year ago, and we haven’t heard anything, no ETA, no apology, nothing. I’m disappointed.

(edited by Sithaco.4673)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

And this is why developers normally avoid telling anyone anything about their products until they’re almost ready for release.

Even Peter Molyneux learnt that lesson.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Interesting how you ignored this part at the bottom of the blog:

As always, the content above is subject to change as we test and iterate on these systems.

You also ignore the fact that they said rather long before the end of 2013 that they would push Legendary and Precursors forward, which was also later stated to be pushed forward until they have revamped the reward system.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The difference between a promise and an intended schedule is miles apart. What about all the stuff they never mentioned that they did give us?

Sithaco.4673

And this is why developers normally avoid telling anyone anything about their products until they’re almost ready for release.

Just had to search him up, interesting read!

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Well, I only gotten the game this year, though for what it’s worth, they should have at least fulfilled some of those promises. Or rather be more transparent to the fanbase of what they are doing (and those podcasts they upload on Youtube do not count imo). Still, I enjoyed the game for what it has given me.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Sithaco.4673

The difference between a promise and an intended schedule is miles apart. What about all the stuff they never mentioned that they did give us?

Not really, just because they don’t specifically say “we promise to do this” or “we promise to do that” doesn’t make it okay to not implement stuff into the game that they said they would.

Vayne.8563

Not really, just because they don’t specifically say “we promise to do this” or “we promise to do that” doesn’t make it okay to not implement stuff into the game that they said they would.

I blog post of intentions with a specific disclaimer on it saying any or all of this might change does not amount to a promise. They had a list of plans. They let us in on those plans. They said those plans might change. It’s pretty clear that’s NOT a promise. It’s a statement of intent.

Do you not see the difference between me saying next year I’m going to Disney World or next year I’m going to Disney World unless something comes up?

One is a promise. One is a stated intention. I wish people would learn the difference.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

One is a promise. One is a stated intention. I wish people would learn the difference.

Might as well and wish for mounts. :p

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

I don’t think that’s the lesson he should have learned. He should have learned to never over-hype one of his game to the point of talking about something that’s simply impossible to be done.
It’s as if Anet one day said “In our new game, Sylvari characters can plant seed and grow enormous forests, changing the landscape and the weather around the world !”

Anyway, it’s nothing new with Anet. They aim high and manage to do only so much.
I was surprised the wardrobe and account bound dyes end up happening. I’m not surprised new legendaries are taking forever to add in the game because hopefully they want to do it right unlike the ones we have, where the only thing legendary about them is :
-your credit card
-your luck
-your grinding tolerance

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

One thing I don’t understand though: Is it really that unusual that people are surprised?

I know it’s not unique to Arenanet. There’s a game I’ve been waiting for called Creatures 4 that was supposed to happen back around 2005. It was virtually confirmed for last Christmas. Now it’s expected to enter beta testing sometime this summer. And it’s an almost completely different game to the one originally planned, or even the one announced 2 years ago.

For an extreme example see Duke Nukem Forever or….dare I say it…Shenmue 3.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

I don’t believe that, instead I would like to believe that his company hires big, burly men to tackle and gag him every time he gets near a phone or networked computer to prevent him from communicating with the real world.

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

I think you need to look up the difference between a promise and an intention.
They never said promise.. and they haven’t yet said their not now going to be putting x item into the game … they said they will be bringing it out with the hope for 2013.. they then said they’re pushing it back to get it perfect it more as it’s not at a launch ready state… which means when it’s done, they’ll release it.

btw welcome to the MMO world.. where things CHANGE! … -.-’

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Well, I don’t know about the rest but we heard about precursor crafting in April:

We want to let you know that the ability to build your precursor will not be in our upcoming Feature Pack. The way progression and rewards work in Guild Wars 2 have changed quite a bit since we initially talked about that feature, and our main horizontal progression systems are about to get some additional updates in the upcoming feature pack. Because of that, we are looking into several ways to integrate building your precursor into our new updated reward and progression systems we’re working on, which is requiring additional development time and iteration. As always, we’ll share details on this system once it’s far enough along in production we’re ready to discuss it.

Source

And yes, as people have said, an intended shedule isn’t a promise. Down the bottom of the blog post it even says that these things are subject to change. Again with precursor crafting, they let us know before the year was up last year that it might not make it in.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Mac.3872

Mac.3872

In January, we talked about where we wanted Guild Wars 2 to go in 2013. We’re a little over halfway through the year, and we felt it was time to give you an update on where we stand, where we’re going, and discuss in more detail some of the systems you’ll see in the second half of 2013.

Sounds like a promise to me.

A broken promise.

Posted by: Eli The Yahoo.9782

Eli The Yahoo.9782

I don’t think that’s the lesson he should have learned. He should have learned to never over-hype one of his game to the point of talking about something that’s simply impossible to be done.
It’s as if Anet one day said “In our new game, Sylvari characters can plant seed and grow enormous forests, changing the landscape and the weather around the world !”

Anyway, it’s nothing new with Anet. They aim high and manage to do only so much.
I was surprised the wardrobe and account bound dyes end up happening. I’m not surprised new legendaries are taking forever to add in the game because hopefully they want to do it right unlike the ones we have, where the only thing legendary about them is :
-your credit card
-your luck
-your grinding tolerance

actually adding a new legendary is pretty easy task, it requires a very short modeling time, it’s not like creating a new boss or map. and stats are always the same just distributed differently.

TheDaiBish.9735

In January, we talked about where we wanted Guild Wars 2 to go in 2013. We’re a little over halfway through the year, and we felt it was time to give you an update on where we stand, where we’re going, and discuss in more detail some of the systems you’ll see in the second half of 2013.

A broken promise.

“As always, the content above is subject to change as we test and iterate on these systems.”

Sounds like people need to read the whole thing.

actually adding a new legendary is pretty easy task, it requires a very short modeling time, it’s not like creating a new boss or map. and stats are always the same just distributed differently.

While actually adding new Legendaries isn’t all that difficult, I don’t think they’re going to be doing so while precursor crafting is still not here.

Not only that, for all we know, new legendaries might have new methods of aquisition.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

(edited by TheDaiBish.9735)

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

I’m too tired to complaining about them at this point. All my complain posts got deleted. The only thing I want right now is put Halo and Devil Horn in Laurels Vendor like the rest of LS1 stuff. Plox.

R.I.P Kumu <3

Sithaco.4673

So I’m getting the impression that even though it’s been 6 months since the end of 2013, it’s okay for us not to have any of those things and have no word about their ETA due to the fact that it was a blog post about their intentions, not a promise?

Posted by: WitchKing.5317

WitchKing.5317

Well all anet had to do was give us an update at the start of 2014. That easy, promise or not, all it takes to keep a player base happy is communication because with it we wouldn’t even be having this conversation! I don’t care if there hasn’t been any advancements, just tell us that. Because anet brought it up, an update on the project every half year isn’t that hard to do and it is expected, plus it eliminates the need for posts like this.

But instead its dropped out of mind, and that’s why people are here wondering what happened. Simple solution, communicate. If you don’t want to do that on a certain topic, don’t bring it up with your player base in the first place.

Fanged Wisdom- [BBQ]/[OMFG]
The Corrupt Mesmer Builds

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Yeah, you’re just forgetting that they don’t need to add one, but one for each weapon type. Figure out the best concept art for each one of them, arguing over and over again about what the player base would like the most.
Then thinking about how each legendary is going to be acquired. Arguing which way would have people kittening less than any other.

lordkrall.7241

So I’m getting the impression that even though it’s been 6 months since the end of 2013, it’s okay for us not to have any of those things and have no word about their ETA due to the fact that it was a blog post about their intentions, not a promise?

Yeah, except for the fact that we actually HAVE gotten information about it you mean?
We even have a ETA for the precursor crafting and new legendaries.
After the reward system is overhauled.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Vayne.8563

A broken promise.

Taken out of context without the rest of the article, but why only read what you want to. It’s clear, 100% clear that due to how the company works, the constant changes and iteration that anything can and does change. They’ve said it before. They’ve said it in the article.

Why take something out of context to try to prove a point?

Mac.3872

A broken promise.

Taken out of context without the rest of the article, but why only read what you want to. It’s clear, 100% clear that due to how the company works, the constant changes and iteration that anything can and does change. They’ve said it before. They’ve said it in the article.

Its not taken out of context. I quoted the whole paragraph.

Why would they say “here is what you will see”

Small print: Subject to change, suckers.

lordkrall.7241

It is taken out of context.
The context is the whole post, not just a paragraph of it.
And they didn’t really hide the part about subject to change. It is fully visible at the end of the post.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Mac.3872

And they didn’t really hide the part about subject to change. It is fully visible at the end of the post.

" here are things that will be added to the game"

Small print: may not be actually added to the game.

gg

very misleading.

Mac.3872

The whole artical has already been linked.

The rest of the artical discusses the things that “we will see” there was no need for me to quote the whole artical. The point I was addressing was there openeng paragraph. “The things we will see”

lordkrall.7241

" here are things that will be added to the game"

Small print: may not be actually added to the game.

gg

very misleading.

Yeah, I suppose if you only see what you want to see.
The fact still remains though that the things that didn’t make it in 2013 was TOLD TO NOT BE IN 2013 BEFORE 2013 was over.
But I suppose that doesn’t count either.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

actually this is not true, most developers tell you their plans way ahead of the release. I know right now, from software is working on “bloodbourne” I know ffxiv is going to release a ninja class. we know they are going to have an expansion, and we know it will add multiple jobs. Capcom lets us know sf5 is in development.

most companies actually do let people know what their plans are, even if they do get pushed back.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

One thing I don’t understand though: Is it really that unusual that people are surprised?

I know it’s not unique to Arenanet. There’s a game I’ve been waiting for called Creatures 4 that was supposed to happen back around 2005. It was virtually confirmed for last Christmas. Now it’s expected to enter beta testing sometime this summer. And it’s an almost completely different game to the one originally planned, or even the one announced 2 years ago.

For an extreme example see Duke Nukem Forever or….dare I say it…Shenmue 3.

and people tend to site those examples as failures of the development team, within those time frames.

Sithaco.4673

You know, 1 or 2 months past the specified due date and I wouldn’t really complain much, stuff happens I know, but it’s literally been 6 months… If they focused their attention to finishing the stuff they said they’d have in the game LAST year, then I’m sure we would have it by now.

(edited by Sithaco.4673)

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Wouldn’t complain much? They wrote clearly that it was a hoped for thing and may not happen due to many different things. You would complain about it but not much if they came on again (as they did do) and say things are pushed back?

Sithaco.4673

Wouldn’t complain much? They wrote clearly that it was a hoped for thing and may not happen due to many different things. You would complain about it but not much if they came on again (as they did do) and say things are pushed back?

A hoped for thing?? They made an entire blog post using the words “What you will see in 2013”, not “What we hope you will see in 2013”

(edited by Sithaco.4673)

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

A hoped for thing?? They made an entire blog post using the words “What you will see in 2013”, not “What we hope you will see in 2013”

Read it again.

lordkrall.7241

Which they also ended with it being subject to change AND they told us BEFORE 2013 was over that those things that didn’t make it, wouldn’t make it.

What more do you want?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Sithaco.4673

Which they also ended with it being subject to change AND they told us BEFORE 2013 was over that those things that didn’t make it, wouldn’t make it.

What more do you want?

Mind linking me to where they told us this info? I have never seen it

(edited by Sithaco.4673)

Vayne.8563

A broken promise.

Except the print was the same size. They said specifically this isn’t a promise. If you choose to ignore that, there’s nothing anyone can do about it. But that doesn’t mean it’s not true.

lordkrall.7241

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Is-precursor-crafting-going-to-happen-or-not/first#post2981770

There were also another posts somewhere, but I can’t find it at the moment.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Sithaco.4673

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Is-precursor-crafting-going-to-happen-or-not/first#post2981770

Okay, that post was 9 months ago, is there any more recent info? This is what I’m getting at, I’m alright with it being a bit late, but it’s been ages and still no word.

(edited by Sithaco.4673)

TheDaiBish.9735

Okay, that post was 9 months ago, is there any more recent info? This is what I’m getting at, I’m alright with it being a bit late, but it’s been ages and still no word.

There was a post in April.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

It was less than 3 friggin months ago they last mentioned prec crafting. You know, when they gave us the Feature Pack? Have NONE of you considered the fact that they way the LS now works with the story journal might be the exact reason they pushed back the possibility of giving us prec crafting? Afterall, 1-2 weeks before it was released, they made a blog talking about changes to the story journal, and before that, they explained it was pushed back due to changes in how rewards would be earned. Ring a bell for any of you people?

As for the rest of the “broken intentions”? kitten. Happens. Deal with it.

Sithaco.4673

It’s still basically another “won’t be coming out yet” post with no more information aside from that, at least it sounds like it’s coming closer to release though.

Anyways, I’m sort of done with this, I’ll just wait it out for however long it takes, just wish we had a bit more information that’s all.

(edited by Sithaco.4673)

Vayne.8563

It’s still basically another “won’t be coming out yet” post with no more information aside from that, at least it sounds like it’s coming closer to release though.

Anyways, I’m sort of done with this, I’ll just wait it out for however long it takes, just wish we had a bit more information that’s all.

Why should they provide ANY information. If things change, people will accuse them of lying. And they’re an iterative company that DOES change things. They even wrote an entire blog post about how they iterate and how things change all the time. How they scrap entire systems sometimes, even finished systems.

I don’t really think if I were Anet I’d be anxious to say anything to anyone until something was ready to be released.

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Don’t worry, It’s almost been 2 years and the game is still not up to release standards.

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

Posted by: Turgut.4397

Turgut.4397

Whether it’s a promise or not, good content is still months apart. I’m not saying an expansion worth of content.. just any content.

Development is slow, and instead of focusing 99% of their time designing and adding Gem Store skins, they could unlock the huge potential this game had been missing from the start.

Still waiting for the things I love about GW1.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

The games’ devs have always been long on ‘intentions’ and short on delivery unless it’s gem store bling.
The one thing they have learned is to not announce what their plans are anymore.

(edited by Blude.6812)

Posted by: Serelisk.6573

Serelisk.6573

On the topic of iteration and without a source, I’m going to claim that ArenaNet initially implied that these iterations were done to meet common ideals about how the game should play. It would meet the pillars of game play that the philosophy was built on, which makes sense logically because of gameplay continuity and to help your audience better understand the direction of your game. For example, one of the main things they didn’t want you to be able to do was grief other players, so a lot of dynamic events involving stealth were removed from the game or drawing board before launch because they didn’t fit that ideal.

Except that’s not how they use iteration. Now it sounds like an excuse to leave us completely blind development and/or direction wise, but still generate hype regardless. Why else would you even make a statement if it’s more than likely going to be BS and you note that with a disclaimer? People have a good reason to be frustrated by that behavior.

They created a relatively alt friendly sequel of an extremely alt friendly game then go back on features that were already planned for launch (account bound dyes) to make the game that much less alt friendly, add Fractals, Ascended Gear and World XP in an alt unfriendly manner then later change these things over a year after the game or the content came out to be alt friendly again? That doesn’t sound like a company that’s focused on ideals in development, they sound confused.

Right now the development claims that were posted to let us know what’s going to happen to this game are complete vaporware, but 6 months into the next year there’s still people clinging onto some inevitability that it will still happen. It’s an abuse of the hope people have that things will get better. Not everyone who doesn’t like the way GW2 plays right now is a hater. Many of them actually care and it really really sucks when they’re completely blindsided by features they vehemently oppose. (See: November 2012)

Some people may accept that this game should and will always be developed as if it’s still in beta, but I’ll never think that’s okay 2 years after it’s already officially released.

Kegmaster

(edited by Serelisk.6573)

TheDaiBish.9735

Development is slow, and instead of focusing 99% of their time designing and adding Gem Store skins, they could unlock the huge potential this game had been missing from the start.

Different teams, and without actually knowing how many people are in them teams, we can’t say for sure where their man-power is directed – although given how much more it takes to create a piece of playable content than it does an outfit or a mini, you could assume pretty accurately.

If them people adding skins to the gem-store were taken off that duty, we still wouldn’t get playable content much faster.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

TheDaiBish.9735

Ugh, forum bugged out.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

The difference between telling the player base they’re going to do a better job communicating with them and letting half a year come and go without so much as a word on missed deadlines is also miles apart.