Can GW2 be saved?

Can GW2 be saved?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

If you really want to save gw2, make a backup copy of all the files, especially after each update, and either put it in a cloud server, or an external hard drive. Its also a good idea to regularly make backup images of your OS just in case you need to restore anything.

Also saving in Gw2 is limited to your character progression and inventory. But this is done automatically, and off site, so there is no need for you to do anything to save your progress.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

As several other posters have asked here. what exactly do you mean by “can this game be saved?”

Saved from what? Death? Becoming a game you don’t like and can’t play anymore? Does ‘saved’ means that the game would be that if it took all of your suggestions to heart?

It doesn’t matter from what. The question is really just a lead-in to other questions, used to sort out those that think the game needs saving from whatever they feel is wrong with it.

In hind sight, if I had been more awake (day off, I was sleeping late), I would have likely come up with a better title for the thread.

Fair enough.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Can GW2 be saved?

Teon.5168

Buying or NOT buying off the gem store is not about sending Anet any message. it’s about How I do not want to support what I do not enjoy.

If anet Understands that is awesome. If they decide to Look Into why the game is losing players, and makes decisions I agree with, I become a happier player, and spend More.

it’s that simple. I do Not reward with money what doesn’t entertain me.

Do you have a link showing that they’re losing players? Especially after they just brought Chinese players onboard.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

Buying or NOT buying off the gem store is not about sending Anet any message. it’s about How I do not want to support what I do not enjoy.

If anet Understands that is awesome. If they decide to Look Into why the game is losing players, and makes decisions I agree with, I become a happier player, and spend More.

Do you have a link showing that they’re losing players? Especially after they just brought Chinese players onboard.

Megaserver

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: Lioknight.8075

Lioknight.8075

Maybe theres no proof there is.. but you would have to be blind to not notice the decrease in their playerbase.. at least in NA.. (idk about EU)

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

I dont see how megaserver is proof that the player base is declining any more than normal. Yes it was implemented, but its been stated by the devs in the blog leading up to it, that it was to better facilitate friendly play. Also there was an imbalance in server populations. Some, like black gate, were nearly maxed, while others had a very low population. People in lower population zones were complaining that there were too many dead zones, that their servers didnt have the people to do many of the mega bosses. Losing so many players that megaserver was brought in to disguise or hide that? Only to those who are tired of the game and will try to use any excuse they can to bash the game and the devs.

Also it would be a very expensive way to make it appear they aren’t losing players. Because if they are losing players, they are losing money. You can’t do a major launch for another country, and spend the time and resources to do that, if they were losing money.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

(edited by pdavis.8031)

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: Calys Teneb.7015

Calys Teneb.7015

Megaserver

That’s speculation, not proof. ESO launched with Megaserver, while Wildstar launched with inzone instancing. Any sort of motives can be attributed to server styles, but server styles themselves aren’t proof of motive.

(edited by Calys Teneb.7015)

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

You’re closing the discussion to those won’t don’t have the same opinion as you, not sure that’s a really healthy way of using a forum.

+1

for a lack of caring too much, basically, haters gonna hate. it’s nothing special that there’s a group of people who avidly try to hate the game but regardless, keep playing.

Excuse me… are you saying that those of us that aren’t thrilled with GW2 as it is today are nothing but uncaring haters?

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: Sola.7250

Sola.7250

Charging players if they comeback for the Season 2 content is just wrong and a real bad idea, it will discourage players from coming back.

I still think the game need a real expansion, new races, new professions, player housing, stronger RPG elements (not less). So far we haven’t see any this with living story content. The repeated living story content wasn’t much fun the second time around.

All the new content won’t help much if it’s the same every time you do it!

The game need some randomness for events, world bosses and most of all for dungeons. Random bosses, trash mobs, traps, bosses to move about the world and not just stand there, make players find loot don’t just reward it! Too much if not all of GW2’s content is the same each time it’s done, it’s need some randomness to keep it fresh.

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

GW2 has it’s warts but it’s the best game I’ve ever played, hands down.

Mesmerising Girl

Can GW2 be saved?

Teon.5168

Charging players if they comeback for the Season 2 content is just wrong and a real bad idea, it will discourage players from coming back.

I still think the game need a real expansion, new races, new professions, player housing, stronger RPG elements (not less). So far we haven’t see any this with living story content. The repeated living story content wasn’t much fun the second time around.

The game need some randomness for events, world bosses and most of all for dungeons. Random bosses, trash mobs, traps, bosses to move about the world and not just stand there, make players find loot don’t just reward it! Too much if not all of GW2’s content is the same each time it’s done, it’s need some randomness to keep it fresh.

Well, then, get the word out to those players that you know have quit. Players won’t be charged for LS2 content if they sign in within 2 weeks after it’s been launched on July 1st.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Well, then, get the word out to those players that you know have quit. Players won’t be charged for LS2 content if they sign in within 2 weeks after it’s been launched on July 1st.

I hope you folks realize LS is not going to bring back hardly any1.
Anet said its adding permanent content ,which you will be getting it for free and accessible anytime for anyone (the open world content for LS2)

Now you do have to pay for the story content(which a lot of ppl could care less about). I’m not playing an MMO because there is some fantasy story goin on in the background. I’m playing it to have some fun with guildies doing fun, challenging content and pvping a little bit. I have no logical reason to buy gems to view a chapter in a dull story journal .

LS2 has no chance to bring back players unless it adds xpac like content (new skills, dungs, REWARDING LOOT, challenging content , not just AP hunt and zerg bosses for your ungodly amount of blues and greens)

(edited by SkiTz.4590)

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: Pray For Kosmos.5849

Pray For Kosmos.5849

as long as they are making $$$$ they don’t care. its a business.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

(edited by Pray For Kosmos.5849)

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: Brimstar.9036

Brimstar.9036

Saved from what? Another doom and gloom post? slow clap You people sound as bad as the end of the world predictors. This game doesn’t have a sub-fee, its not going to shut down anytime soon and everytime I log in my friends list and guild are full. This is silly and unproductive, you want productive go to the feedback part of the forum and actually give your support. This is nothing but toxic to the community.

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I believe recent changes to the game are what have saved it. That is to say, it was going in a very bad direction until the mega server.

Take the town clothes example. For every single person that hated that change, I’m convinced 2 more will now buy them, because they can be used all the time. I think most people didn’t want to buy outfits just to use standing around in cities. There have been posts to that effect.

This whole listening to the fan base line is way overstated, since the fan base hardly ever agrees on anything. What people are really saying is listen to my specific opinion and the opinion of the percentage of the fan base that agrees with me. This is quite clearly a self-serving opinion. It’s very easy to fall into the trap of believing your fix is the fix the game needs. Other people will say other fixes are the fixes the game needs.

The megaserver fix got a lot of flack. From my point of view, it’s improved the game immersably.

What I like less are these giant mega events like Teq and Triple threat. I don’t like those events at all. I’m not interested in them. They’re not fun for me. What I don’t do is come to a forum and say that as they move in this direction the game will die or can’t be saved.

Because I recognize that my opinion is just that…my opinion…and that other people like different things.

The game is doing fine, and will continue to do fine.

And five years from now we’ll still have people posting telling us how the game is dying.

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: Brimstar.9036

Brimstar.9036

I believe recent changes to the game are what have saved it. That is to say, it was going in a very bad direction until the mega server.

Take the town clothes example. For every single person that hated that change, I’m convinced 2 more will now buy them, because they can be used all the time. I think most people didn’t want to buy outfits just to use standing around in cities. There have been posts to that effect.

This whole listening to the fan base line is way overstated, since the fan base hardly ever agrees on anything. What people are really saying is listen to my specific opinion and the opinion of the percentage of the fan base that agrees with me. This is quite clearly a self-serving opinion. It’s very easy to fall into the trap of believing your fix is the fix the game needs. Other people will say other fixes are the fixes the game needs.

The megaserver fix got a lot of flack. From my point of view, it’s improved the game immersably.

What I like less are these giant mega events like Teq and Triple threat. I don’t like those events at all. I’m not interested in them. They’re not fun for me. What I don’t do is come to a forum and say that as they move in this direction the game will die or can’t be saved.

Because I recognize that my opinion is just that…my opinion…and that other people like different things.

The game is doing fine, and will continue to do fine.

And five years from now we’ll still have people posting telling us how the game is dying.

Bravo, love it. EXACTLY!

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Fun fact. Every post in every game forum in which the claim was made that the developer doesn’t listen to their fans is really saying, “The developer doesn’t listen to me and those who agree with me.”

Can GW2 be saved?

Vayne.8563

Fun fact. Every post in every game forum in which the claim was made that the developer doesn’t listen to their fans is really saying, “The developer doesn’t listen to me and those who agree with me.”

The corollary to this is that everyone who disagrees with a poster’s opinion is obviously a blind fan boy.

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

you do realize megaserver was implemented because of how utterly dead the maps were in the majority of the servers right?
Outside the first 3 tiers or so, majority of the servers were low pop/dead. Megaserver put in place to make it not look so bad.
They could have had mega servers anytime but why now? oh because of how dead some of the servers are getting….

Will this game be fine ? who knows about the future, I hope it will , all I know is the NOW. and right now, its not nearly as active of an MMO as it was and it has been losing players, not gaining/retaining.

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The corollary to this is that everyone who disagrees with a poster’s opinion is obviously a blind fan boy.

Negative opinion, yes. If the opinion disagreed with was positive, then it’s “Hater.” Both, of course, are interchangeable with, “Troll.”

Can GW2 be saved?

Vayne.8563

you do realize megaserver was implemented because of how utterly dead the maps were in the majority of the servers right?
Outside the first 3 tiers or so, majority of the servers were low pop/dead. Megaserver put in place to make it not look so bad.
They could have had mega servers anytime but why now? oh because of how dead some of the servers are getting….

Will this game be fine ? who knows about the future, I hope it will , all I know is the NOW. and right now, its not nearly as active of an MMO as it was and it has been losing players, not gaining/retaining.

Again this is theory, not fact. The fact is that people guested to busier servers because they could ANYWAY. So saying a server is dead because no one was playing on it, didn’t mean the population of that server wasn’t playing on a busier server. I used to guest all the time to different servers. You had guilds like TTS where everyone guested to a dead server at least on Australian times. So for that event that became a busy server. In fact, we’d fill up the map and sometimes have one or two overflows, even in the middle of the US night.

You can’t say what the population is, because you don’t know. The best you can do is guess.

Are less people playing this game now than at launch. Almost definitely. There’s a normal and acceptable attrition in MMOs.

The question isn’t how many people have left, because millions have stopped playing WoW. The question is how many people are still playing, how many have come back, and how many are coming on board with the frequent sales.

Those are the real questions.

I don’t think this game is bleeding players. We’ve had a number of people who left for a year and have come back.

In fact, so many people come back that on Reddit they have a scripted bot now to handle it, because we were getting multiple posts a day.

And only a tiny percentage of people post on forums.

As for the only reason the mega server being introduced is servers being dead, there was another reason. Anyone who played in the Marionette fight, will remember the dozens of threads of people complaining that they couldn’t play on their home server. Those complaints are now a thing of the past.

And I’m sure having players on less servers also saved money in the long run, because you’re not maintaining servers with small amounts of players on them.

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

true it is not our job … and I don’t think they have listened to anything anyone has said since launch… and of the 6 people I knew in real life who got this game I am the last one still here

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Again this is theory, not fact. The fact is that people guested to busier servers because they could ANYWAY. So saying a server is dead because no one was playing on it, didn’t mean the population of that server wasn’t playing on a busier server. I used to guest all the time to different servers. You had guilds like TTS where everyone guested to a dead server at least on Australian times. So for that event that became a busy server. In fact, we’d fill up the map and sometimes have one or two overflows, even in the middle of the US night.

You can’t say what the population is, because you don’t know. The best you can do is guess.

Are less people playing this game now than at launch. Almost definitely. There’s a normal and acceptable attrition in MMOs.

The question isn’t how many people have left, because millions have stopped playing WoW. The question is how many people are still playing, how many have come back, and how many are coming on board with the frequent sales.

I don’t think this game is bleeding players. We’ve had a number of people who left for a year and have come back.

In fact, so many people come back that on Reddit they have a scripted bot now to handle it, because we were getting multiple posts a day.

As for the only reason the mega server being introduced is servers being dead, there was another reason. Anyone who played in the Marionette fight, will remember the dozens of threads of people complaining that they couldn’t play on their home server. Those complaints are now a thing of the past.

And I’m sure having players on less servers also saved money in the long run, because you’re not maintaining servers with small amounts of players on them.

pretty odd reasoning, people complained that they couldnt play on their server, so we obliterated their server?

Or another angle, people really didnt like being on overflows for these one monthly events, so we made them have to do it everyday!

I mean i see possible advantages, to the megaserver, if they start building new community tools/features/grouping but to be honest it was not the solution anyone was looking for.

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: Ipsen.7486

Ipsen.7486

Can the game be saved? No, because many, like myself have solidified their perceptions of the game now. Unless this game gets a MAJOR overhaul, nothing will save it from itself.

Then again, (the game) itself will probably last a while, because some people like what it is, whether they’ve supported this company previously or not.

Whatever GW2 is, it’s….a game at least. Way I see it, professions are largely balanced altogether, but the balance is only considerate of 1v1 situations. As far as PvP goes, it’s too easy and incentivized to jump 1 person.

Especially since….well, ANET decided that they’re approach to resolving the ‘holy trinity’ of build roles would be to kitten healing/support functions. Seriously, one clearly obvious and long-recharge (cant even fake it out properly) heal with kitten-poor boons and/or heal traits. Quite the joke. It’s almost as if, assuming they’ve even taken notes from Guild Wars, they thought EVERYONE took at least one heal skill for maintain, instead of just relying on a Monk (or thought that Monk reliance was a bad thing).

So all there is damage. The game is a scale between some form of DPS and tanking (and if there’s a build that DOES manage to maintain/escape well? Instantly broken tier), coupled with a very active system; Nearly everything lowers redbar, or at least puts you into combat (Also to note: Melee gets to pull alot of shenannigans because you can move through targets. Ranged combat is at least better balanced by the wonky obstruction mechanics).

But even that would be fine if…well, other people just didn’t butt the kitten in on my fights. Joking aside, all the skill I enjoy out of this engine goes out the window if I face two or more people (ankitten ot a profession that can escape), or another person joins my fight.

So some people can accept the game for what it is; fast-paced, deathmatch-style combat, and it may live by attracting these players. I largely won’t accept this game anymore(or at least won’t keep it in my priority of games to play anymore), unless it can actually implement a better healing/support system to combat.

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

There’s an interesting story on ArsTechnica on how Wildstar is bucking the trend of making MMOs more accessible as a way to save MMOs from the F2P death spiral. That difficult gameplay is the key to get a returning player since when they do win, the win is more satisfying.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/06/impressions-wildstar-revels-in-its-old-school-mmorpg-rigidity/

I know there’s been several threads advocating making the game tougher, this is the first time I’ve seen an article stating why that may be a good thing.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: Kuldebar.1897

Kuldebar.1897

true it is not our job … and I don’t think they have listened to anything anyone has said since launch… and of the 6 people I knew in real life who got this game I am the last one still here

And to me, that’s the crucial point.

From where I am sitting, my experience has been the same. The game has a retention problem. I came back after 8 months away and was flabbergasted at some of the changes…changes to things that weren’t actually broken.

Not everything ANet does is wrong, but they have a tendency to dramatically rewrite the game with some of their changes. Pulling the rug out from under the player base seems to have become an art form.

I use the trait changes as an example, because once again, ANet has taken an accessible and open system and turned it into an obstacle course filled with level/gold/content requirements. This wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing if the game wasn’t already lacking in character progression depth.

Leveling a new character has now become a lot more formulaic and regimented. This is counter to the “freedom of play” ideals promoted in the game’s development.

If the game can’t draw people in and keep them for a reasonable time, it won’t last. Enough people have to play and enough people have to spend money in the Gem Store.

After 8 months away, I fully expected to stay and play for more than 4 days, but upon rolling a new character after playing my level 80 (and other chars for a bit) – I found the leveling experience to be unrewarding. From level 1 through 30, no customizing of builds…WTH were they thinking? Before, part of the “fun” was choosing a leveling build as you accrued trait points. This gave you a modicum of control and allowed you to specialize a little to fit your play style as you leveled.

As I said before, this would not have been a bad thing except the game already has re-playability issues. Much of the fun of playing alts has evaporated with the traits rationing. I applaud many of the feature pack changes, but removing progression milestones from so much of the leveling process was a horrible thing to do.

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

I’m upset with many of the game’s directions, but there’s still a good core experience in playing through most of the content for the first time that I still think it’s worth the box price.

The blanket assumption that anyone “upset” with the game wants it to fail is a poor one. I think it’s a great game with plenty of potential. I feel that much of it isn’t properly used. I don’t want to support the game through microtransactions, but I will recommend spending $50 to play it (a sale would be keen, though!)

There are inevitably going to people who use the forums as an outlet of abuse – it is the internet – and that’s not likely to change. Sadly, there are others who are too passionate and rash with their criticism, making it hard to grasp and appreciate their concern because it’s covered in insults. The funny part is, that bile-drenched complaint can hold more merit that a million threads simply high-fiving the developers for making the “best game ever” (that’s what Reddit’s for :p)

But ultimately, a lot of people who post here – as vile as they can be – are here because they DO care about the game. What worries me the most isn’t the post count of a questionable game decision, I’m more worried about the people who don’t care at all: The person who bought the game, logged in for a week, then never returned. Or the person who put in tons of effort and gameplay only to disappear suddenly.

To answer the thread’s title: Do I think GW2 can be saved? Yes. Even if I thought it was fine, I’d still want it to be perfect.

pretty odd reasoning, people complained that they couldnt play on their server, so we obliterated their server?

Or another angle, people really didnt like being on overflows for these one monthly events, so we made them have to do it everyday!

I mean i see possible advantages, to the megaserver, if they start building new community tools/features/grouping but to be honest it was not the solution anyone was looking for.

I’m just bummed that I no longer have a choice in where I play. Half the time I want to enjoy the community with a zerg of people, the other half I want it to be a little less crowded to increase that solemn but wonderous and immersive quality to exploration.

(edited by Smith.1826)

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

The question is if it can be saved financially or quality wise. Financially, I have no concerns. But quality? I still hope they will improve additional content. Let’s see what happens in Season 2. I have still hope.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: MrIllusion.5304

MrIllusion.5304

I went back to WoW on a number of occassions, and even in an mmo with the most active subscription playerbase, there were still dead zones.

This is a fact of all mmos because of how the leveling mechanics and reward systems work.

The side effect is that populated servers attract even more players, either through new players or through server transfers. This makes the high pop servers even more crowded, and the low pop servers even smaller.

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: floude.5291

floude.5291

After seeing Dee Jay’s ‘A few parting words’ topic removed from the forums I can say ‘no’. Plain and simple. Want feedbacks? He had feedbacks, and you did that you always do, ignore it because it needed more work (more work for other areas than the gemstore).

(edited by floude.5291)

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: Claudius.5381

Claudius.5381

Don’t think about GW2 in biblical categories. Play if you like. Charge gems if you feel there is something you like to have and you can afford it. Don’t, if you don’t.

It all comes down to that. You can not demand anything from the publisher, the game is not your life, so relax and have fun. And I think that is about what Palador intended to say in his OP.

The whole meta discussion about whether the game is dying (of course it is dying – every MMO dies starting from the moment of its birth, like we all do), what direction to take and about broken “promises” and such are in vain. ArenaNet offers us a game and we can play it or not. We can provide feedback via the designated threads (which I did regarding the horrible new trait unlocking system) but in the end it remains your personal decision.

No reason to overload it with world shattering questions like “Can GW2 be saved?”. Those should be reserved to the really important questions like “Can Germany finally win the soccer world cup? Please? Pretty please?”.

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

After seeing Dee Jay’s ‘A few parting words’ topic removed from the forums I can say ‘no’. Plain and simple. Wanna feedback? He had feedbacks, and you did that you always do, ignore it because it needed more work (more work for other areas than the gemstore).

That probably had nothing to do with that guy’s feedback (he never came back in after the initial post) and everything to do with how the thread ended up. The thread was up long enough for it to have been read and noted.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

After seeing Dee Jay’s ‘A few parting words’ topic removed from the forums I can say ‘no’. Plain and simple. Wanna feedback? He had feedbacks, and you did that you always do, ignore it because it needed more work (more work for other areas than the gemstore).

Must agree on that point. The thread was supposedly deleted because it went off topic. So instead of cleaning up the thread, which had good feedback on it, they decided to trash the whole thing entirely.
So two lessons to be learned from that action. 1 – If you don’t like a thread or OP, just derail it as much as you possibly can and ArenaNet will lock/delete it. 2 – ArenaNet only cleans threads that they deem appropriate and favors themselves in a good light.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Can GW2 be saved?

Vayne.8563

Put it another way. Everyone was guesting to three or four servers. Lots of people if not everyone. Giving the impression that other servers had no population. No one really knows.

So people could say the game was dying, whether it was or wasn’t. Whether they knew or not. That couldn’t be good.

By getting rid of physical servers, a Tarnished Coast server, a Blackgate server, everyone could see what people on those servers were already seeing.

This is actually a big game world. There are 26 zones. There are 8 dungeons and multiple paths of each. There’s Four WvW zones and now multiple EotM maps. Right now there’s also the pavillion and the cliffs, taking people out of the open world.

My point is the mega server didn’t solve just a population problem. It solved other problems as well. The logic is equalizing everyone.

Before people were complaining they were on dead servers or they couldn’t get on to their home server. It’s not even fair to not be on one of the big busy servers. But if everyone is on a big busy server, than a good portion of people end up on overflows.

The only really fair solution was to make everything overflows. It’s a smart move.

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

Everyone was guesting to three or four servers. Lots of people if not everyone. Giving the impression that other servers had no population. No one really knows.

No, they weren’t. If “lots” of people don’t know basic combat, “lots” of people don’t even know about the guest function, which is in the main menu rather than in game.
If you mean every farmers know about it, and there’s lots of farmers, then yes, I’ll give you that.

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Odd reassoning? Well I tried to play on my server during Marionette event but it was impossoble becouse everyone guested to the most active servers to get more people and have a better chance of success. They even guested becouse getting to and overflow was better than their own servers becouse everyone guested. My server was empty and I had to guest and jump around in overflows to one time finally get to the main server I guested too. Megaserver has fixed this problem and is something in the right direction. People are blinded by the doom and gloom that flows on these forums but I am pretty sure that Megaservers has Nothing to do with game is loosing players or empty servers but more empty maps and also what I have stated a few times before; With Megaservers Anet have finally achieved their goal with populate all maps making them all feel as important as any other map. Now they can focus on making new maps to play on. While Megaservers isn’t perfect it is realy a great step in the right direction.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Can GW2 be saved?

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Everyone was guesting to three or four servers. Lots of people if not everyone. Giving the impression that other servers had no population. No one really knows.

No, they weren’t. If “lots” of people don’t know basic combat, “lots” of people don’t even know about the guest function, which is in the main menu rather than in game.
If you mean every farmers know about it, and there’s lots of farmers, then yes, I’ll give you that.

Didn’t you play before megaservers where introduced or?
At the beginning of marionette on our server there where lots of players, then it got booring and some stopped doing it. While some stopped doing the event it got harder to compleate so people started to Guest to other servers, I mean whole guilds guested to other servers. People don’t know basic combat but when it comes to getting good rewards people do listen and follows the crowd and also there are even more people who do know basic combat and the guest function.

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Megaserver

That’s speculation, not proof. ESO launched with Megaserver, while Wildstar launched with inzone instancing. Any sort of motives can be attributed to server styles, but server styles themselves aren’t proof of motive.

Server styles by themselves? No. Changes in server styles, especially if they are rushed and introduced even though they break a lot of preexisting functionality? Definitely.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

At the beginning of marionette on our server there where lots of players, then it got booring and some stopped doing it. While some stopped doing the event it got harder to compleate so people started to Guest to other servers, I mean whole guilds guested to other servers. People don’t know basic combat but when it comes to getting good rewards people do listen and follows the crowd and also there are even more people who do know basic combat and the guest function.

If those guys counts as “everyone”, then yeah, the player base is extremely small then.

EDIT: I think it’s fair you say one of the reasons for the mega servers (aside from falling population) is the fact the “majority” don’t know about guesting. Hence, automatic “guesting”, ie. mega servers.

(edited by BlueZone.4236)

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

This seems like it’s more an issue with the scaling system not doing (what appeared to be) it’s intended function: Providing a satisfying experience, no matter if it’s for one or a hundred players . But with the megaservers, and with new content being consistently zerged by players, it’s likely the scaling doesn’t need as much fine-tuning. To me, this feels like one of the most prevalent reasons to go with the megaserver approach, because it directly concerns the gameplay.

Yet still, the game initially gave the heavy impression that it didn’t matter how big or small your server was or how many people happened to be around.

(edited by Smith.1826)

Can GW2 be saved?

EdgarMTanaka.7291

If those guys counts as “everyone”, then yeah, the player base is extremely small then.

No ofc they doesn’t and I didn’t see that your comment was becouse Vayne said everyone. But you are saying “lots” of people don’t know basic combat and “lots” of people don’t know how to guest. So in my mind it sounded like you say a very good enough chunk of players stayed on their server. But they didn’t. From going to a full map with overflows our server had people guesting from it and finally we where 10 players trying to beat Marionette while my guild and two other guilds I was in was guesting. That is about 100 players. But I missunderstod what you meant so I am sorry.

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

For other topics its usually good to go with the majority. Problem is that many issues have multiple sides, not just black and white. Also hard to tell what the majority truly is because not everyone voices themselves here.

Oh hell no. To solve problems you call in a specialist, someone with a brain. Majority is at best average in their intelligence (after all you can only be considered “smart” if you outperform most of your peers), and no decisions should be based on average caller when there’s an above average solution available. In short if 100 people give me one advice, and a genius in given field gives me another, the smart thing to do is to follow the genius’ advice.

Oh and on side note, teq fight is awesome:)

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: Asgaeroth.6427

Asgaeroth.6427

Saved from what? That whole wall of text and the only thing you can come up with is you didn’t like the town clothes refund? Who cares? They were underselling (aka not selling at all) garbage that served zero purpose.

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

You’re closing the discussion to those won’t don’t have the same opinion as you, not sure that’s a really healthy way of using a forum.

On the bright side, he won’t have to deal with that pesky cognitive dissonance.

Don’t see how any of us could force or sway ArenaNet or NCsoft to do anything other than what they want to do. We can choose to give feedback. We can choose to buy or not buy from the gem store. We can choose to play or not to play. Outside of that there isn’t much we can do.

Actually no, fractals, ascended gear, 2 week living world content, permanent living world content etc. are all examples of players influencing ANet. ANet is actually open to giving players what they want (as long as it’s not completely silly).

Gemstore on other hand, ANet gains very little from it. Most of the profit goes to NCsoft, who will use the money, along with the money from other games “store profits” along the % of published games sales, to produce and publish games they want, not necessarily use it on GW2 expansions.

That is the assumption, but no actual proof exists either way.

At the end of the day i think its the players who use these forms to promote there own selfish wants onto an entire player base is more want the game needed saving from then any thing else.

People who are happy with the game play the game, the rest either leave or post things like this about how bad GW2 is or how it’s dying.

Only ANet can save this game. But they need to listen to us to do that.

What group of ‘us’ should they listen to? After all, the entire community will never agree on what is the best way to address an issue.

Theory of mind is not very common among people I’m afraid.

To OP, I don’t get it why I am not allowed to say that I don’t agree with you and also show Anet that I do not agree with your view of whats good or bad.

Cognitive dissonance from wikipedia: In psychology, cognitive dissonance is the excessive mental stress and discomfort experienced by an individual who (1) holds two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values at the same time or (2) is confronted by new information that conflicts with existing beliefs, ideas, or values

I think number 2 is most relevant here.

Anet needs to COMMUNICATE !

They merge and create threads for Feedback, then nothing at all., example the Traits Feedback thread, 29 pages and NO Anet comment since they created it !

I feel so too, but at the same time all ANets communications seem to fall on deaf ears or just lead to player exaggeration and complaining. For ANet communication is a pointless effort that just leads to more complaining, so why do it? Just release content and see how players react.

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: lil devils x.6071

lil devils x.6071

I was a HUGE fan of GW1 and Arena Net, did the surveys for this game, helped promote it tremendously and have nothing but good things to say about them, however, I am having an extremely hard time really enjoying this game due to a few things that honestly give me so much of a headache when I play that I have to actually do other things to wind down from playing this game. I am supposed to be playing this to wind down and have fun, but I am not finding that to be the case.

How can they save the game? I am not sure, but I can give my perspective on my experience thus far. I WANT to play this game with friends and family, so I have motivation to really try to enjoy it in spite of how the game itself makes me feel.

1) The first big thing that actually made me leave the game after the first time I played: The camera. No first person, very limited options, camera doesn’t move with you and you cannot even see what you are shooting at if you get next to a wall or under a tree.

That alone made me walk away after the first day. I am sure it ran off many others as well. Many games have options with the camera, and to be having to focus more on the camera than what is going on in the game feels like a chore rather than enjoyment of any kind.

2) Jumping puzzles/ vistas. The single worst Idea I have ever seen implemented in a game. Fine, If you like jumping puzzles, great, please do not tie them into everyone’s completion. Make them a separate activity that one can choose to partake in and be rewarded individually without tying it in so that in order to complete your map you have to do this utterly pointless nonsense. Regretfully, I was diagnosed with 2 types of arthritis in high school and the physical pain I have endured while trying to complete those stupid vistas has been immense enough to make me have to walk away from the game for a while. The views are great, the jumping parkour nonsense makes me want to punch someone in the nose for putting it in the game.

3) This may be unpopular with some but I like the gem store and actually would like to see more items I am interested in put in it. I am not a fan of the steam punk/ western clothing style for my favorite class (ranger), I actually am completely repulsed by that style and have been trying to find something better, but I do not like any of the styles available and would like to see something I actually enjoy.

I know, I know… It is just cosmetic so I try to look past it, but the problem is of course, they MAKE me look at my character when I play ( no 1st person) so I have to look at something I think looks terrible. I prefer the elementalist armor, but you do not play a character for the armor, you play them for their abilities. I would like more options for my armor. I loved elementalist GW1 armor, but hate looking at my character on GW2.

I already felt my character creation customization options were lacking, I like to do my characters makeup the way I do my own makeup, but they did not even have makeup options. I was surprised to see no lipstick, blush, eye shadow or anything offered in character creation as there were no shaders.

4.) Add options to turn off spell special effects. Even on lowest settings it is extremely irritating. Combined with the bad camera you cant see what you are doing when people are casting all over the place.

Sometimes less is more, and this is one of those times. It is bad enough that someone with epilepsy could not play due to them, but even for people who do not it gives us a such a headache it makes me not want to be in an area where anyone is going to be using them, which eliminates most of the game for me. Special effects are supposed to enhance game play, not run people off from it. Even games that came out 15 years ago had options to turn off special effects, this one should as well.

5. Broken events. Most poison events are ghost towns because no one likes doing poison battles. Events no one is doing should be fixed. Whatever mechanics are driving people off from events should be examined and corrected. If no one is doing something, there is a reason for it and it should be repaired.

6.) I would like to see expansions. I know many do not like having to buy more content, but in order to gain much more content, I am willing to pay for it. You also gain new players when releasing expansions as more become aware of the game due to the press from new releases. Without releasing new heavily promoted content, a game is often seen as " old" rather than seen as the current game to play.

I am not sure if that helps " save" the game, but it is my perspective on some of the things that would help improve the number of people logged in.

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

(edited by lil devils x.6071)

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

GW2 just need more content and it’ll be saved. Like Panda’s and Cantha.

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

I dislike the Living Story and wish they’d do away with it and give us real content instead. My cash isn’t going to change their mind about that so I see no reason to buy gems. They’ve already gotten enough of my money.

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: zoejo.2317

zoejo.2317

So, does anyone who says the game is dying/losing players/failing financially, have any reliable source? Some official numbers?
Is it really all speculation?

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: lil devils x.6071

lil devils x.6071

I dislike the Living Story and wish they’d do away with it and give us real content instead. My cash isn’t going to change their mind about that so I see no reason to buy gems. They’ve already gotten enough of my money.

I have had this game since it came out ( it was pre-ordered) and haven’t even started “my story”.. I really detest stuff like that in a game and consider " my story" what I actually do in game and how I interact with other players. I don’t like things pre-scripted for me and would rather I decide what I do.

But then again, I am just now trying really hard to play it and do not plan on doing any of the story nonsense. My game has been collecting dust since it came out due to the first time picking it up and being so frustrated with the broken camera and figuring that if I let it sit a while they would fix the camera in time. My friends and family have been pressuring me to play this with them instead of the other games I play, and I had really hoped they would have fixed by now, but I guess we would have to wait for GW3 for that?

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

Can GW2 be saved?

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

There’s an interesting story on ArsTechnica on how Wildstar is bucking the trend of making MMOs more accessible as a way to save MMOs from the F2P death spiral. That difficult gameplay is the key to get a returning player since when they do win, the win is more satisfying.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/06/impressions-wildstar-revels-in-its-old-school-mmorpg-rigidity/

I know there’s been several threads advocating making the game tougher, this is the first time I’ve seen an article stating why that may be a good thing.

I have been saying that the game should be more challenging for the longest only to be poo-poohed by some.

The Mob AI needs to be more than just a big wind up with a tell tale, followed by a crushing Blow that can be totally dodged.

I Like the Toxic mobs, They cast conditions. I wish that Conditions were not discriminated against by the devs ( 25 condition cap…when there is no 25 Direct damage cap?…if 25 people all do direct damage at once, the Mob doesn’t ignore the 26th does it?)

I think that all mobs especially bosses should have More attacks that do significant damage, so that the attacks cannot be completely dodged. Then you NEED tactics and Strategy to complete content, Instead of Just " to do a speed clear".

I think that making Bosses Immune to crowd control is a bad idea. For me it’s Just a sign of lazyness on the part of the developer.

In My opinion what would save this game was if they totally scrapped this game system, and went with what was known to Work… Guild Wars.

The developers need to forget about GW2, and launch Guild Wars 2.

And they would have, if a Lot of players weren’t complacent and accepted " But…that would be hard!"

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.