Charr and Asura female precursor armor

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: jazzbat.7432

jazzbat.7432

Yes, please. Change it.

As for charr—I echo the six or nothing sentiment.

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

I don’t understand this “six or nothing” phrase flying around. Even in character creation, we never, not once, see teats on female Char.

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I don’t understand this “six or nothing” phrase flying around. Even in character creation, we never, not once, see teats on female Char.

It’s a quote from Kristen Perry.

Kristen Perry on Charr breasts.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Well I did a rough tally now that we are almost to 500 posts.

~90% yes
~10% no

I think the answer is pretty clear.

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

That is such a great post, I forgot I read it a long time ago.

I really still wish society was ‘mature’ enough to get over female charr being without chest-wrap, but alas, we can’t have nice things.

NSPride <3

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I don’t see why people are having heart attacks over this.

I really really don’t get it either. Whenever Arenanet releases an even remotely revealing outfit, people get up in arms and scream “SEXIST” and how they’re sick of """all the bikinis""".Tell me again where all these bikinis are? Sure there are many, but at the same time there are MANY OPTIONS THAT EXIST WHICH ARE NOT BIKINIS THAT LOOK NICE AS WELL! Compare that to the Asura female options where we have almost quite literally zero “feminine” or “sexy” armors. I also fail to see the inherent negative connotation that many users associate with “sexy” armors. Who’s business is it besides my own in the way I choose to dress my characters? I’m also on the side where men should have some more revealing armors as well, but that’s for another thread.

I don’t think the vast majority of the complainants in this thread are against sexy armor. I think they (and I am in that they) are aghast at applying human standards of sexy to Charr (and to Asura). In my opinion the light and medium chests of the Experimental armor aren’t sexy on Charr, they’re ridiculous. “Sexy” highlights zones meant to cause sexual attraction. Who the heck is attracted to fake boobs coming out of a flat chested person’s upper abdomen?

Emphasize the horns, the muscles, the tail — heck, as to the tail, we’ve seen that amazing things can be done with it in the Ancestral, Balthazar, and Sentinel outfits. There’s Charr sexiness.

Even http://images-cdn.9gag.com/photo/4338_700b.jpg which goes 8 or nothing shows how silly it is to put human sex appeal on felines.

Posted by: Nemui.6753

Nemui.6753

Yes, please change it to be similar to the male variant.

Moyayuki.3619

I don’t see why people are having heart attacks over this.

I really really don’t get it either. Whenever Arenanet releases an even remotely revealing outfit, people get up in arms and scream “SEXIST” and how they’re sick of """all the bikinis""".Tell me again where all these bikinis are? Sure there are many, but at the same time there are MANY OPTIONS THAT EXIST WHICH ARE NOT BIKINIS THAT LOOK NICE AS WELL! Compare that to the Asura female options where we have almost quite literally zero “feminine” or “sexy” armors. I also fail to see the inherent negative connotation that many users associate with “sexy” armors. Who’s business is it besides my own in the way I choose to dress my characters? I’m also on the side where men should have some more revealing armors as well, but that’s for another thread.

All I care about is more variety of armor, especially for Medium armor, and especially for female Asura and Char. I’m tired of getting the boring male varieties for my toons. Not saying that need to be revealing or conforming to some human anatomy ideal, of course, but…seriously, it does get boring. Char and Asura “sexy” could be completely different from Human, Norn, and Sylvari “sexy” as well. It’s all about figuring out what that would mean. Also tired of armor for Norn, Sylvari, and Char that ends up hiding the tattoos, glow, and fur markings that I put a lot of thought into.

Moyayuki.3619

…Is it bad that subconsciously I read “Katy Perry”…? XD

Posted by: RagingGoat.5018

RagingGoat.5018

Please change it to the male version, I appreciate all of the work everyone on the design team puts in but… No. The current fem charr and asura are not gonna work.

Posted by: mekashiyu.4159

mekashiyu.4159

Honestly? For the light armor 100% yes, it’s absolutely hideous on female charr and asura and just doesn’t work at all. The medium armor is super cute on female charr and asura though so I’d actually suggest leaving that armor more or less the same (maybe some tweaks on the female charr?). I’ve almost never seen my little asura’s tummy before, what with all the medium armor trenchcoats out there. And heavy is just nice looking in general so I don’t think it needs to be changed at all, for either race. :O

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

In almost all the shoes Asuran wear they have their side toes sticking out. I have never gotten used to this. I am glad that a few of their sets have their shoes Asuran specific. To my horror, when I looked at the legendary armor on my Asura there they were again poking out of shoes designed for their five toed buddies. Even the charr get shoes specifically for them. Why can we not have those Asuran feet fully covered? Like most of the shoes out their it looks like a very bad clipping issue. Would be so bad for the armor creators to put in a bit of effort here? You do it for charr why not Asura?

And don’t spin me this malarkey about it being some kind of Asuran lore to have their toes out in the open for better balance or other such bupkis as most of their cultural armor have all their toes covered up and the ones that aren’t are wearing shoes specifically designed for them. The legendary armor should be the same. It. Is. Legendary. Armor. Put in a bit effort won’t you?

Posted by: cadmiumgreen.8712

cadmiumgreen.8712

A long time ago my father took me to see an exhibit on MASH at the Smithsonian. There on display was the most ludicrous dress I had laid eyes on at that tender age and I asked my father just what kind of woman wears that kind of dress. He replied, “A woman with a very hairy chest.” Later I learned that he meant Max Klinger. But today I learned that he might as well have meant charr.

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

No MO. Female asura and charr deserve to have feminine looks.

Feminine according to which race’s culture?
The way you mean feminine is the way humans would mean it.
Armor should be faithful to each individual culture,so for a Charr maybe a heavier armor set would look more desirable on a female,and maybe Asura are not really into that b@@bs out thing,that seems to be very popular amongst the humans of Tyria.
Diversity is key here.
You don’t want to make this game like B&S,where everything female equals bewbs in your face.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

The light armor right now is incredibly awful, in particular. Please change it. Cleavage should never be a Thing for asura or charr.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: KestrelGirl.9267

KestrelGirl.9267

Yeah, that’s annoying, but not as bad as asura with boobs. Or charr tail clipping…

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Yeah, that’s annoying, but not as bad as asura with boobs. Or charr tail clipping…

I’d say it’s on par with charr tail clipping. It’s an issue that ANet should know should be looked at considering it’s Legendary Armor. Legendary Armor should not have any issues like charr tail clipping or asura feet clipping.

The boob thing is personal preference. I’d prefer without, but I’d imagine there are some who want them so it’s not my place to say which the majority prefer.

Posted by: Mike O Brien

Previous

Mike O Brien

President -- ArenaNet

Thanks for voting and commenting. We’ve read through everything you’ve posted here.

Among people who expressed a clear preference for one of the options, about 230 people prefer to make the change, versus about 40 who prefer to leave it as is. We’ll make the change.

We’re also going to work on cleaning up the Charr tail clipping. And then our focus has to be on shipping the full legendary set.

Thanks everyone!
Mo

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

My toes stick out when I wear my flippy-flops. Nothing wrong with asura boots in this regard.

Now if they would just make some skimpy outfits for asura and charr, my life would be complete.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Zombrawgs.3701

Zombrawgs.3701

Yes. Change to the male variant armor.

Asura definitely wouldn’t adopt fashion styles from humans, as humans are inferior to asura. Which means no decorations meant for ample bossoms, as asura lack them.

Charr… Six or nothing. No exceptions.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Even though I’m on the losing vote, we appreciate you communicating with us MO.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: kamedin.4698

kamedin.4698

Can you just give them the same model/underwear that the males have so we can’t tell the difference between them? (I don’t why the female charr/asura have human like underwear when they don’t have the same parts for them.)

Lyscir – Main Engi
[????] – HoD

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

My toes stick out when I wear my flippy-flops. Nothing wrong with asura boots in this regard.

Now if they would just make some skimpy outfits for asura and charr, my life would be complete.

The problem is, the toes of other races don’t stick out on most shoes like they do with asura. We’d have no problem with the toes of Asura sticking out on shoes that the other races had their toes showing.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Can you just give them the same model/underwear that the males have so we can’t tell the difference between them? (I don’t why the female charr/asura have human like underwear when they don’t have the same parts for them.)

I wish they’d do this as well. But I think that ship sailed too long ago.

Posted by: Beokros.5106

Beokros.5106

Yes, please change it. It just looks so awkward and the physiology of the races with the human female type armor makes no sense

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Well played MO give people a crappy choice and they will pick what you guys wanted all along.

Now when people later complain that charr/asura wear male armor you can point to this thread and say you wanted it folks.

Posted by: Speckly.3729

Speckly.3729

Yes please. It looks, for lack of a less severe word, ridiculous as it is now. Boob cups and the illusion of cleavage on board-flat chests is kind of unsettling—like, they don’t even have small breasts, they have none. There’s nothing under those cups. What’s the point?

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

Thank you, MO, for listening and responding to player feedback!

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Thanks for voting and commenting. We’ve read through everything you’ve posted here.

Among people who expressed a clear preference for one of the options, about 230 people prefer to make the change, versus about 40 who prefer to leave it as is. We’ll make the change.

We’re also going to work on cleaning up the Charr tail clipping. And then our focus has to be on shipping the full legendary set.

Thanks everyone!
Mo

Thanks for listening.

Don’t forget the horns, though.

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

Thanks everyone!
Mo

Awesome!

**cheers**

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: Zaldinora.6748

Zaldinora.6748

I can’t say I’m overly happy with completely changing it to match the male models without reworking the female ones. It basically means we’ve lost a set of options and this legendary armour is going to have less of a distinction between the two than gem store skins. There should be a difference between the two, it’s just that the current difference is so anatomically incorrect it was blatant you just resized the Human female’s version. I can’t really be happy about no rework and just losing a set of options as our ‘best’ option. It just… really screams to me that you’d rather not bother salvaging a mistake and instead would just rather scrap the mistake. Seems like a big waste of resources and a loss of options for the players.

Also, seriously… Asura ears exist. Please stop stuffing them inside helmets they can’t physically fit into and let them pop out the side like they do with the Tier 3 cultural heavy.

Posted by: Sousuke.7268

Sousuke.7268

I can’t say I’m overly happy with completely changing it to match the male models without reworking the female ones. It basically means we’ve lost a set of options and this legendary armour is going to have less of a distinction between the two than gem store skins. There should be a difference between the two, it’s just that the current difference is so anatomically incorrect it was blatant you just resized the Human female’s version. I can’t really be happy about no rework and just losing a set of options as our ‘best’ option. It just… really screams to me that you’d rather not bother salvaging a mistake and instead would just rather scrap the mistake. Seems like a big waste of resources and a loss of options for the players.

Also, seriously… Asura ears exist. Please stop stuffing them inside helmets they can’t physically fit into and let them pop out the side like they do with the Tier 3 cultural heavy.

X2 on this – and also Asura Toes. Its lame how on some sets they just kinda disappear, while on the other ones they clip out.

In any case take what you can get, its sad that we can’t have proper cultural armor, but its better than boob cups.

Posted by: Asumir.1978

Asumir.1978

Pictures, for those who haven’t seen this armor on female Asura and Charr.

imo it should be changed to male armor, at least on the chest plate.

Urrh, yes, definitely change.

Thaír ar Nádal aï Narvèduí – Zían athâ éhû Tharnadaï
From Shadow unto Light is born the Narvedui
While softly walks the Tharnadai

Asumir.1978

how about more decorative, swirly border trimmings (thin filigeree metal: futuristic angularity for the Asura, industrial angularity for the Charr, with the occasional curve of lines in the motif) in order to denote softness?
But Asura and Charr perception of what is attractive in the feminine would be different than us humans. Sharper, harder could be the way for Charr.
Serrated metallic edges waving upwards and backwards at the shoulder. Upturned collars that make nape fur bristle upright to make the Charr look more intimidating.
Tooth and claw, engineered through metal into clothing.

(edited by Asumir.1978)

Asumir.1978

For the Asura, perhaps a cleaner, more orderly look. Less lines, less clutter. But a glossy trim (at the ending points of the clothing: shoulder, wrists, belt, hem, trouser hem, shoe top and tip), and, running through it, a very, very fine-lined metallic motif that dimly glows blue/purple/choice in the dark in energy ripples.

Posted by: DaikonSamurai.6714

DaikonSamurai.6714

Late posting, but for future armor sets I still want gender specific armors if only for the sake of having more options. I agree breasts look silly on the chest pieces, especially for races like the Asura and Charr who tend to be very egocentric and look down on humans (and the other races) to a certain degree. I don’t think they would generally want to look more anatomically human. So I think the male chest piece is the best option with this current circumstance.

I still want more “feminine” options though. Maybe for Asura look at similarly bodied characters like Daisy Duck or Minnie Mouse for costume ideas that don’t have cups, but still look “girly”. I also think humanoid female armor could still be adapted in future cases. Maybe reshape into less ovular forms and flatten the cups so they’re not obviously “boobs” just a chest decal or design.

Historically speaking though, actual plate armor shaped like breasts would never be functional anyway as the cleavage would effectively funnel any loosely aimed sword or spear thrust or arrow aimed around the chest directly to the throat. So functional boob cups on armor will always be ridiculous even on humans.

That being said, this is fashion wars and set in a world where at least one Mesmer literally runs around nekkid with Mesmer illusion clothing. So really anything technically works in this setting.

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

Thanks everyone!
Mo

Sad to see how uncharr or how unnorn these armors look.

Is there any chance that we can see cultural based legendary amors? I don´t play humans, so i have no reason to build that amor. Because both versions look silly on Norn and Charr.

But u rly wanted this or? Now u can go the easiest way, and when people in future will ask for more adapted armors u can point on this thread…….

Im bitterly disappointed.

(edited by Norjena.5172)

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I just can’t beleive what i see.
You allow for a Copy-Paste armors from male to female on asuras EVEN when it’s clearly not matching and shows parts that are covered by the underware (see light Tribal armor, Flamekissed, heavy Scallywag, Pit Fighter and Braham set)…
But when they give female asuras last bit of respect by giving them a female armor you have a problem with it.
Charr and asura both have been in a dark, dusty and ignored corner for so long, last time they have had some of developers attention was with the wedding attire. Rest of the time it’s just “Give asura goofy, big headpiece, and for charr something thet does not screw thier horns too badly.”
Both female asura and charr model should have thier own model for a Legendary armor. I mean, how often are you gona give us something like that? It’s not like you are going to add new set of legendary armor every seazon.

I hoped charr and asura would have adequate treatment when it comes to armor… I wish they had more developers so they could handle it, but it doesn’t seem the reality here. Very sad to have to choose between options which equally don’t fit these races, but it’s the least worse…

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Delgotta.3817

Delgotta.3817

this “vote” should actually be made an in game ordeal. let the entire population decide, not the 250 people out of millions decide the fate of the game. keep in mind out of the entire player base, these 250-300 people were the only ones who had issues, while everyone else were either indifferent, or are right now picking out their die colors for the new armor. the few of us who oppose this change, were the only ones fortunate enough to catch this conversation, while the rest of the player base have no idea that this is going on. This forum is only a very vocal minority, most players have no idea what goes on in the forums, let alone where they are.

give the mass population a voice and a choice.

Posted by: Firmicute.3876

Firmicute.3876

I think that one was answered in the charr-design-document too- american (and other repressed) society seem not to be ready to have the female charr without the weird cloth.. Just because they seem to associate female with sexy and that stuff..
I´d like it too. But I am german and during summer you will see naked people just runa round here and nobody cares. Because why would one. I have seen enough t n d n a so i know how it looks like. No biggie (mostly.. )

Posted by: DaikonSamurai.6714

DaikonSamurai.6714

this “vote” should actually be made an in game ordeal. let the entire population decide, not the 250 people out of millions decide the fate of the game. keep in mind out of the entire player base, these 250-300 people were the only ones who had issues, while everyone else were either indifferent, or are right now picking out their die colors for the new armor. the few of us who oppose this change, were the only ones fortunate enough to catch this conversation, while the rest of the player base have no idea that this is going on. This forum is only a very vocal minority, most players have no idea what goes on in the forums, let alone where they are.

I didn’t think of this, but I agree. Yeah if it’s not too late the data gathered from the forum is pretty much guaranteed to be skewed. There should at least be an in-game mail like the WvW voting. That is if you want data that actually represents the population.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I didn’t think of this, but I agree. Yeah if it’s not too late the data gathered from the forum is pretty much guaranteed to be skewed. There should at least be an in-game mail like the WvW voting. That is if you want data that actually represents the population.

They don’t want data that represents the population, they want data that represents the people who talk. Vocal people determine the positive or negative press the game receives. As long as the vocal population is happy the game will do well.

Posted by: kamedin.4698

kamedin.4698

So the more I read the thread, the more my mind comes back to this video.

Lyscir – Main Engi
[????] – HoD

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

Asuran boob plate… a girl can dream right? (never have anything to fill out the armor)

kidding aside i agree with changing the look.

Little red Lioka

Posted by: Heimlich.3065

Heimlich.3065

I think deciding this via forum thread is the wrong approach for the game, the company, and the player base.

The dispute over Charr secondary sex characteristics should have been the basis for Living Story 3 and also replaced the existing server/faction system for WvW. We should have settled this like the Kiel/Gnashblade election and/or with a WvW Tournament.

Posted by: FearTheOyster.5138

FearTheOyster.5138

If anything, keeping with Kristen Perry’s vision of character design and their racial aspects as they diverge from human ‘cultural norms’ is a good idea. Having divergent art design opinions as they vary from the core game’s original design philosophy can wind up giving an MMO an inconsistent look over the years. It can be tremendously distracting, even for those players who don’t have any background training in art (what comes to mind for an example is World of Warcraft’s own art shift over its 12-year life).

Suddenly deciding that Charr and Asura hold human standards of beauty while ignoring their own long-standing racial fashion values — even with a long history of Asurans interacting with humans for hundreds of years without there being a previous large break in their own cultural fashion standards — would kinda stick out like a sore thumb for those who notice it. And it wouldn’t be an immediate thing for a lot, but once it is noticed (ESPECIALLY with Charr)… Even with racial cooperation being at a high point between Charr and Humans, it doesn’t make much sense for Charr to immediately absorb a beauty standard of humans after just 5-10 years of a ceasefire.

Yeah. Six or nothing. What do mice know, anyways?

Posted by: Erik the Dauntless.4063

Erik the Dauntless.4063

I agree with the poster above me, except for the last sentence…. emphasising on female Charr nipples/tits to me is just all kinds of wrong, and doesn’t go with established lore of the race.
I main a fem Charr warrior since the beginning, and in my opinion keep the armors the same as the males, with the exception of making female charr specific armor/outfit like for example the wedding dress..just never ever do something like this, where you make a human/Norn female armor and strap it on female charr

Won’t Judge Asura since i don’t play them

Posted by: Jojo.6140

Jojo.6140

Im a bit sad that we will loose another option for a more female Asura armor, but im not too concerned since i wouldnt have used the whole armor set because of the shoes (looking at the preview and imagening how the toes are stuck in the far too small shoes just hurts in my own feet right now lol). Now that they change the chestpiece im sure that i wont have to bother with grinding all the materials for the leggy armor.

I agree with some who suggest cultural leggy armor (and gender specific pls), but i doubt that we get something like that.

Posted by: Jovel.5706

Jovel.5706

Thanks everyone!
Mo

Will you be cleaning up the charr tail clipping on all armor sets or just on the legendary and precursor armor skins?

Also I appreciated your sentiment on whether the set has been in the game long enough for people to be strongly attached to it or not. I hope this mishap doesn’t discourage the design teams from venturing into feminine, revealing themes for any of the races (including asura) just out of fear of upsetting people.

Like I mentioned before, people do want to showcase the choices they picked at character creation. Charr fur patterns, norn tattoos, sylvari body markings and bioluminescence, asura skin markings, and just their bodies overall. I have plenty of solid, hefty plate armor sets on my characters and having the choice to go for some lightweight, yet metallic garments is a nice choice to still have.

I think the problem with the asura experimental precursor skin was that the chest was too beady and refined, like a resized human top, and thus it looked off. Asura do have major pectoral muscles on their chest though and I can’t fish out the pre-launch interview confirming them as mammals but in-game there are hints to them being mammals as well as a bellybutton under their strapless pink undergarments (if bugged off with preview codes).

Thank you for the reply and for reading everything!
(Attached example screenies of asura chest and a heavy set that isn’t quite as lightweight but still another favorite.)

Attachments:

Moyayuki.3619

I still wish that there was some sort of distinction between male and female Charr and Asura armors of all weights. As it is now, it’s really boring. In general, I prefer female variants of armor over the male, and not because of the so-called “sexy” appeal. Sometimes I wonder what the point of playing a female Asura or Charr is, if they are all going to use the same ugly armor. Variety really is dead for them.