Coming from other mmo's (suggestions)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: luzt.7692

luzt.7692

A Mount like D-Walker from Metal Gear Solid V would be fun. But I dont necessarily would wanna see it.
Holy trinity, no thank you.
3rd party addons alrdy exist, but not a fan of them.

And the money hungry attitude would be bad for the game and for the company’s imago. Look at aeriagames or EA moneygrabbing.

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Add ons like dps/gearcheck meters are great tools to create toxicity! I really hated them back in WoW as people were considered a number, rather then a player participating in a video game encounter.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

The problem is really that GW2 tries to be different from other MMOs yet fails to do it. They take concepts that are popular in other games, tries to change them simply to say “at least we aren’t WoW”.

Fails to do it? I know the GW2 system isn’t perfect, but I prefer it 1000 time to any Trinity Game including WoW.

It’s a different system that is for a different crowd of players and it’s ok. I tried a lot of MMO and GW2 is the first one that I love and keep playing for more than a couple of months.

Subjective opinion, while valid, still doesn’t take away from the fact that GW2 isn’t really all that unique, it takes similar concepts as other mainstream MMOs and changes them simply to be different, and sometimes not for the better. They failed at being unique, not as a whole.

There were mmos before WoW, plenty in fact, I enjoyed several of them for many years. I abandoned them for WoW because I liked the mechanics and playstyle in WoW. They felt new and fresh to me, even if they probably were a rehash from some other games combined. Nothing new under the sun… indeed.

GW2 is different, you don’t have to like it but I do, as do many others.
And we are free to express that opinion too.

To be fair, GW2 would gain more from following the MMOs that came before WoW then trying to follow them. They did to some degree but tried to mix the wrong aspects of post WoW MMOs into GW2.

The issue I have isn’t that GW2 is different than WoW, infact its the opposite. My issue is that GW2 used many of the same concepts as WoW and other themepark MMOs yet changed them slightly trying to be different, but in the end it makes GW2 relatively the same, and not always in a good way.

GW2 would have been much better if they stopped trying to follow the theme park mold and embraced more of the sandbox mentality.

I don’t get your last paragraph. I don’t recall saying that people don’t have the right to express their opinions. It actually seems that people who do mention changes get more flak than those who defend.

(edited by BrooksP.4318)

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Too much invis skip through trash in dungeons for example

Even if you’re in full ascended berserker’s elite mobs can still take a long time to kill. Not only that but their drop rates are very poor. You also have some bosses that turn friendly at like 20% HP so they drop no loot.

It’s Anet themselves that are encouraging the skipping by making it more rewarding to skip. Long fights with trash (with all the clipping and effects reading tells is hard) that have insane CC (use haste or shake it off and you’re suddenly knocked down again…) aren’t fun. To make it fun nerf the HP sinks and buff drop rates.

Posted by: Avectius.3271

Avectius.3271

Most enjoy GW2 for its differences. The things you suggest can be found elsewhere. Hopefully, they will never come here.

Welcome to Tyria, and good luck.

A million times this. Guild Wars 2 is a vastly different and unique MMO, which is why I love it, and as such, it attracts a very niche audience in the genre. The game isn’t meant for your typical MMO audience. Bringing in those types of players isn’t what ArenaNet is focused on.

Posted by: Freyah.8912

Freyah.8912

There were mmos before WoW, plenty in fact, I enjoyed several of them for many years. I abandoned them for WoW because I liked the mechanics and playstyle in WoW. They felt new and fresh to me, even if they probably were a rehash from some other games combined. Nothing new under the sun… indeed.

GW2 is different, you don’t have to like it but I do, as do many others.
And we are free to express that opinion too.

To be fair, GW2 would gain more from following the MMOs that came before WoW then trying to follow them. They did to some degree but tried to mix the wrong aspects of post WoW MMOs into GW2.

The issue I have isn’t that GW2 is different than WoW, infact its the opposite. My issue is that GW2 used many of the same concepts as WoW and other themepark MMOs yet changed them slightly trying to be different, but in the end it makes GW2 relatively the same, and not always in a good way.

GW2 would have been much better if they stopped trying to follow the theme park mold and embraced more of the sandbox mentality.

I don’t get your last paragraph. I don’t recall saying that people don’t have the right to express their opinions. It actually seems that people who do mention changes get more flak than those who defend.

I’m afraid I don’t understand what you mean. What parts have been changed slightly from WoW- era onwards that could not be applied to any concept before WoW and then slightly changed. The non-trinity? Not having a specific quest giver t return to? Total sandbox (of which there are plenty current mmo that have…)?
I haven’t played all mmos ever created, not even all of the big sellers but I have played a lot of them over the years and I feel that GW2 gives a special gameplay.

Again, WoW wasn’t all that unique considering, nor is many of the mmos compared to each other and the ones gone to history. And I’m not saying GW2 is a special unique pristine untouchable snowflake.
It’s just…if the game isn’t enough unlike well, WoW, how would adding bits that would make it more like most mmos make it ’’better’’?

Oh the last paragraph : I didn’t meant you as in you personally, I meant you as in people who read this. There are many different ways of indicating that in Swedish, none of which translates well into English filtered through my vocabulary, I’m afraid. Sorry if I caused accidental offence. )=
That being said; the fact that many more people speak against these changes to make GW2 more like other mmos surely is an indicator that the majority, at least the vocal majority, want’s the core gameplay to stay as it is? And in that case, what is wrong with liking a game for what it is now (with the possible tweaking here and there)?

Posted by: skigorn.7910

skigorn.7910

I’ve played several of the same games as the OP, and while I enjoyed mounts in other games, I truly don’t miss it here.

I understand what you’re saying by it being a “cash cow” though. It is crazy how much money people were tossing at mounts in Lotro…all they had to offer were horses with different color hair and different blankets and yet they sold all the time.

Posted by: Agilitas.2537

Agilitas.2537

“Hey WoW just lost 5 million subs, so how about you add all the stuff they did to GW2?” is basically what you’ve said.

I’m glad none of the things you’ve mentioned are in GW2. There’s a reason people are running from those other MMOs…

People got bored to wow, or bored to how blizzard handels theyr game?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

2nd Topic:
I could see this being added, as long as it’s mostly cosmetic I don’t really have an issue with it at all, personally I’d probably still mostly use waypoints, but I’d rather them make money off something mostly if not completely cosmetic than anywhere else.

They already did this in HoT.

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

I don’t understand why peple DON’T want mounts. I get it that they’re not really required with the WP system, but not wanting them?
I would love to be able to just ride my mount and travel around the various beautiful maps of the world. But walking is way to slow to do it that way, and I don’t enjoy WPeverywhere because I don’t even get to apreciate them fully.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I don’t understand why peple DON’T want mounts. I get it that they’re not really required with the WP system, but not wanting them?
I would love to be able to just ride my mount and travel around the various beautiful maps of the world. But walking is way to slow to do it that way, and I don’t enjoy WPeverywhere because I don’t even get to apreciate them fully.

I don’t think that anybody don’t want them, but a lot of people don’t need/care for mounts and prefer that Anet put resources on other project like more content, build template, etc.

It’s all about resources. If Anet put those resources (money, time, employees, etc) on mounts, they can’t put them on other stuff.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: CadeRG.4508

CadeRG.4508

Why have mounts when we have waypoints and swiftness?

Vaulting daredevil leap frog teef of AoE destruction

Posted by: XPilo.5862

XPilo.5862

1. There will be never to many skins.
Ascendant is top tier gear so yeah it need be time consuming. Plus now you can get it very easy just playing the game normally. I have 3 full sets of ascendant armors and never has to grind.

2. Mounts.
We don’t need it, the wp system works great.

3. We already has some nice addons to know wnet and where a boss or event is going to pop up. A damage meter? lol no i hope that never happens.

4. we don’t need trinity, we don’t want trinity.
Right now Raids need more specify roles, but still very diferent for the traditional trinity. We don’t have and will never has a specific class that only tank, heal or do damage.

5. Oh god yes nerf mesmers

coso.9173

fair answer. still, having a small amount of mounts at the beginning and add some more along the way should not be that time consuming.
or at least a way to walk significatively faster so it doesn’t take that long to walk around a map.
also about swiftness. not all classes have it. we thieves only have a 25% increase and it’s not really enough to make it bearable.

(edited by coso.9173)

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

I don’t think that anybody don’t want them, …

I don’t want them. They are graphic clutter. One of the things I found frustrating about WoW was not being able to see the quest giver to click on them because of the fat kitten of someone’s mount.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

fair answer. still, having a small amount of mounts at the beginning and add some more along the way should not be that time consuming.
or at least a way to walk significatively faster so it doesn’t take that long to walk around a map.

It’s the other way around. Making new skin for mount is fairly easy. It’s designing the code that allow us to use mount that will be hard and that need to be done first. The animation for each character fitting on a mounts, with different shape and size of mounts. A lot of work upstream before you can even start to design the looks of a mount.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: illo.5106

illo.5106

Obviously you are new to this game and obviously you came from a classic MMO.

Why? Thought the same 2 years ago coming from a traditional one and maybe missed what you mentioned and 2 months later I was happy to not have this shiny stuff in GW2.

Posted by: Zeppelin.6832

Zeppelin.6832

You’re coming from WoW. All your suggestions are about turning GW2 into WoW.

GW2 is not WoW.

coso.9173

I just compare my knowledge of GW2 maps versus another MMO with mounts. I really feel I knew those maps, I knew tha main paths, what was on them etc. in here I always have to double check to see where I have to go, and I get maps confused between them.
plus, it was highly relaxing, to just mount up and travel around maps.

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

1: Fair enough.

2: Only if the mounts are purely cosmetic like the broom or carpet, introducing speed boosted mounts will just result in maps being made larger to compensate for the added speed, and end up forcing people into using them, and thus result in it suffering from the “Remount after every single time you need to do something” issue that completely breaks the flow of the game in other MMOs in order to experience traveling at the speed the map was designed around.

3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JmN5cA3EH4 We don’t need to encourage this sort of behaviour. That said, something like the master of damage from Guild Wars 1 would be nice in order to help test out builds. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Master_of_Damage

4: Skipping everything, stacking for everything, and forcing tank/healer/dps roles are completely different issues. Encounter skipping is fine, though it should be more engaging than just stacking stealth and running, Arah’s path 2 has a section that can be pretty fun to figure out the skipping method for the first time you do it. Stacking for everything is simply an issue of problems involving boss target caps/lack of AoE, there’s simply not enough meaningful AoE to justify giving up the easy boon sharing that it involves, as for the most part, what little there is is for the most part short enough in duration that people can get away with just using aegis or invulnerability dodging through it. There’s no need to force traditional roles, and there’s very little desirability behind it, as role setups tend to result in the game being simplified down to merely the aspects that define that one role rather than actually playing with the entire toolset of the class.

NERF Mesmer for the love of god lol: You’re kidding, right? In PvE, mesmers are awful, in duels they’re probably above average, but mostly prey on people that just don’t know how to play against them. Power burst mesmers are easy to deal with once you’ve played the class enough to understand how their mechanics work, and condition mesmers aren’t going to kill a bunker on their own unless said bunker has no idea how to play against mesmers and kills themself on the confusion/torment by moving 100% of the time and spamming skills.

balance pvp: PvP is being balanced, in fact, one of the common complaints is that the game being balanced around PvP is what’s causing certain professions to have issues in PvE. People are always going to complain about balance in any form of PvP that isn’t comprised of completely identical teams, but they are in fact actively attempting to balance around PvP.

make boss exclusive items that have a decent drop rate (esp in upcoming raids, (pets aren’t acceptable btw)): I agree, exclusive pets are an awful idea, no ranger should be forced into relying on RNG to acquire a pet that their profession is balanced around.

Personally I’m not entirely against the idea of exclusive skins, but, the main issue with exclusive gear needs to be considered. It takes just as much effort for them to make exclusive skins as it does to make readily available ones, thus, in effect, for each exclsuive skin made and enjoyed by a small number of players, you could have a readily available one that can be enjoyed by everyone.

Update store with new items monthly: Indifferent, they seem to update the store often enough as it is, and I’d rather they didn’t put any real focus on such an insignificant thing.

post everything there is on the store 24/7 (its money you’re losing): While that would be nice, they actually make money out of the rotation, as when they do introduce them back in, people who might be indifferent to the item tend to rush to buy them even if they weren’t really sure that they want them due to the fact that they might not be available again for a while. Additionally, it would also require spending time updating the store UI, as the style tab isn’t the most useful for searching for specific items, and throwing everything into it at once would make trying to preview in it a nightmare.

(edited by Eponet.4829)

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

Is there really anything to be said other than lol?

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

… first thing, is :
WAY to[o] many time sinks…

I think you’re off-base. Legendary and Ascended have the same stats. Of course they should be difficult to get. They are a big goal, not a ‘gimme’. There are several ways to get ascended: they drop from Tequatl and other bosses, they drop in PvP and fractals. Crafting is just the most reliable way of getting them and personally, my luck sucks so I really appreciate having a reliable way to get it.

…2nd thing
MOUNTS …

I’ll just leave this here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mounts-merged

…3rd thing
3rd party addons…

OMG. NO to dps meters. Holy piles of kittens, NO. More friendly? ROFL

I’m ambivalent about UI add-ons, but in my experience, they are trouble. It hardly matters, though, since Anet has said they won’t support this.

…4th thing
more of a traditional dungeon trait for classes, ie tank, healer, dps…

What gets old is having a healer and constantly getting pestered to heal and only heal, not being able to play anything else because your group needs you to fill that role and nothing can happen without it — and since no one else wants to play healer… No, thanks. Been there, done that. Or on the other hand, waiting and waiting to get a healer… again, been there. Don’t want to go back.

GW2 offers you options when it comes to role. Granted, most people prefer to go dps but you aren’t stuck to a single role and you can do hybrid support. For the most part, each player is responsible for himself and I like that.

As for skipping trash mobs… HA! You cannot tell me that this doesn’t happen in other games, ’cause it does. People will find the easiest way to get through content and get the good stuff.

…Honorable mentions: …

I think you’re way off on these:

• Mesmer doesn’t need a nerf, IMO.
  • PvP balance is a tough, tetchy thing. They’re always adjusting and probably always will be.
  • There are exclusive boss drops. They do not drop often. They are not ‘gimmes’.
  • The store usually updates at least monthly, although admittedly, the lead-up to HoT was lacking.
  • We (the players) suspect they cannot put everything on the store at once; they rotate. There has been a lot of discussion about this, but general consensus is that making items scarce or unavailable encourages buying rather than discourages it.

tl;dr: I’m all for listening to player suggestions, but turning GW2 into another WoW clone will not fly here. This game isn’t perfect, but you’re barking up trees with no squirrels or cats, just leaves.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I would love to be able to just ride my mount and travel around the various beautiful maps of the world. But walking is way to slow to do it that way, and I don’t enjoy WP everywhere because I don’t even get to apreciate them fully.

4 reasons

1. Lore of Guild Wars
    For purists: most mounts clash HARD with Guild Wars Lore.
    All characters in the Gw2 universe riding -animals- are evil…. so since we do not have any possibility to play evil characters in gw2 well, you do not get mounts…. Though I could see theoretical space for gliders (hey remarkable?) or Charr vehicles (in new wvw border) or Asuran Golems…. (see wvw as well) although all these examples are transforms rather then mounts.
    The only 2 mounts I remember are the Junundu transform and the Siege devourer….
  2. Identity of Guild Wars
    Mounts are mostly if not solely requested in posts like: I played -fill in blank here- and they had mounts, I like it and I want to make gw2 like -fill in same blank here- cause it was so epic Most mount posts have been put together in 1 big mount thread….. please read this small thread (only 1425+ posts at this time)to get some added feedback…
    https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mounts-merged/
    1 interesting thing in this thread: for every well I’d like that there’s at least 10 OH NO, Not agains….
  3. Performance of Guild Wars
    Most people know more user related graphics will lower FPS… A lot, mostly due to the quality/capaity of the engine… When we fill up a map in PvE/WvW miniatures need to be hidden due to performance… Now think what wil happen if we give all these people mounts????
  4. Reasons for Implementation and balance of Guild Wars
    Why should there be mounts, the waypoint system removes the need for mounts, and when waypoints are unavailable it usually has to do with game mechanics. (e.g. Silverwastes, Dungeons, WvW)
    Many suggestions regarding mounts will unbalance the game: most mounts are requested with speedbuff, combat mechanics, to be collectibles and so on…. These are all not needed nor wanted in the gw2 universe, the 3 mounts available (yes I call ’m mounts) are ingame toys : the fling carpet, the Flying broom and the Tunneler are very close to mounts without any interesting buffs….it will be the closest this game will likely come to mounts, excluding combat golems, siege devourers and other transforms…
23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I came here after playing Second Life extensively.

first thing: huh? why are the arrow keys not turning me (quickly followed by remapping some things)

second thing: finding out I could not pan and move my camera around all over the place. Especially from the keyboard.

third thing: What do you MEAN I can not fly?

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Typically it goes like this:

- You quit whatever MMO you are currently playing because you got bored with it.

- You try other MMOs to try and replace the game you became bored with, however you consistently look for games that are similar to the game you just left (and were bored with). You want to recapture that nostalgia of when you first started playing that MMO (WoW in this case).

- You find one that is very similar! Hooray! You play it for a month or two, then log in one day, maybe you’re waiting for a tank or healer to join your group so you can start and you just go “ehhh, not feeling it today..” Log off. Then you remember why you quit the first game and realize this has that same stale feeling. So you quit and search for another.

- You find GW2. It’s refreshing, you enjoy yourself. But now start to make suggestions to make the game more like the game or games you literally quit because they bored you after so many years, and for some reason think that’s what GW2 needs to make it more successful, even though GW2 is by far one of the most successful MMOs since WoW.

I disagree with pretty much every point you make, but I will admit mounts would be a great revenue generator, even though I am against mounts in general for GW2.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Cynister.2865

Cynister.2865

Dear OP,

I’m sure you didn’t intend on starting a riot with your post, but there are some things in GW2 that are sore subjects. You pretty much touched on the main ones

While I understand your intent, the GW2 community is one of the things that is great about this game. We don’t need gear checks, or damage meters to give us bragging rights. That kind of behavior is what chased allot of us away from WoW. Add ons just aren’t necessary if you play the game for fun. We all like to be successful, but the add ons I think are being alluded to are misused by some people, and not for the greater good.

Mounts you say? Meh. Personally I could care less. I do understand the allure of them, but in most games I’ve played that offers them, they just collected dust in my bank. The waypoint system is overly sufficient in GW2 for me. There are plenty of chances to see the scenery if you farm mats in the different areas.

Not terrible ideas you have, just not the best for this game. Cheers!

(edited by Cynister.2865)

Posted by: Chicho Gosho.6507

Chicho Gosho.6507

Let’s move ahead and leave the outdated mechanics in the past.

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Do silverwastes chest runs.
Buy the mats you can. Its possible to make a piece of ascended armor daily.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

There are QoL changes & additions that GW2 could benefit from.

-Raid/Squad UI, it has taken them this long to get something implemented. And over the BWE3 it was buggy as heck. If this game wants to move forward with more raid content, large scale group organization in WvW, etc.. it needs to have good, working, and functional raid/squad UI.

-On topic of UI, I don’t ever want this game to go crazy with addons/plugins. But the default UI could use more flexibility. I’m fine with the default UI except I would like to be able to move and resize them at will. I’m used to having my target right center where my character is, it’s a common position for target window in PvP games. Default GW2 UI won’t let me move or resize the target window, it’d be nice to get that flexibility. Having target closer to center allows you to glance at your target’s buffs and such without having to take your eye away from what’s in front of you. It’s a PvP thing, and if GW2 wants PvP to thrive and become more competitive, they need a more flexible UI.

-It’s funny hearing people say this game isn’t sandbox enough. Really? The fact that you could level in any zone and have your level scale to the zone isn’t sandbox enough? Quest on a rail themeparks mean you go from one NPC to another NPC in an orderly fashion. That’s not what I’ve seen from GW2, and I’m glad of that. What this game can use more of are rewards that matter. PvE, WvW, PvP, all 3 game modes can use reward carrots that people chase. Lack of the carrot chase is what drives people away slowly over time. Lack of exciting things people look forward to will bore players. PvP is getting this love apparently, but WvW’s carrot chase is still lacking.

Bottom line is people from most MMO’s expect to get rewards they can use when they defeat encounters. They are not used to getting a bunch stuff to salvage so they can go craft something later down the road. I hate to say this but this whole salvage ordeal gets tiring after awhile. Sometimes I’d like to just get something good/cool that I can use or want to put on another character. Rarely, and when I say rarely I mean super rarely, does this happen at all in GW2.

-On topic of mounts, I think mounts will be in GW2 in the future, at least in PvE. They likely just haven’t gotten to that point yet. It would be a good addition and good revenue stream, as mounts are extremely popular in other MMO’s.

-A damage meter like WoW has creates toxic community, no doubt about it. People use dps & heal meters to berate other players, this created elitism. But Anet can still provide a personal damage meter that only you can see. I’d love to be able to start and stop dps recording ingame and see how I do after a certain encounter or battle myself, be it PvE or PvP. I don’t care to know what other people do, I just want to see how I can tweak my gear, slot skills, and specs to improve myself. Anet could easily create something like this, and make it client-side so the servers don’t have to get the extra load tagged onto them. PvP already gets this personal summery, they just need to make this available for all.

-Ingame calendar for both guild planning, as well as game-wide festivities & events.

-If you want PvP & WvW to become competitive and have people give a darn, then you need an online ranking system that shows the team’s rankings, player stats, etc.. DAOC had this for their RvR waay back in the day when DAOC first invented RvR. They had top 50 individual stats, guild stats, and they separated them by monthly, weekly, and all-time. WoW’s got their arena rankings where you can easily look at team composition and the builds people are using. These things drive people’s competitiveness, it turns the competitive nature up a notch. People that PvP care about these things even if they pretend they don’t. Anet is kind of late to this. But if they truly want to drive the PvP esports scene, and want to get more people to do PvP & WvW, they need online stats people can look at. And yes, people will boast and feel good about themselves, but that’s all part of the competitive nature of PvP games.

Don’t be afraid of Quality of Life changes that can only make GW2 better. I like GW2 for what it is, and like the fact that it’s different than most other MMO’s. I love not having to stand and cast. I love not having a true holy trinity system. GW2 should definitely stay true to GW2. But there are QoL changes that can really benefit the game in the long run, and increase its popularity for all game modes.

(edited by gavyne.6847)

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

I actually agree with every point and I know many people who see it the same way.
Sadly the GW2 community is horrible when it comes to suggestions and criticism.

The first reaction is always “Hell no, GW2 is different, if you don’t like it why don’t you play another game”.

Why do you think people suggest something? Not because they don’t like the game.
If I wouldn’t like the game, I wouldn’t even take the effort and suggest anything.

Just because GW2 is different, it doesn’t make it better. There are many things which could be changed without anyone even complaining if A-net would do so. But just by suggesting anything people already go 180° rage mode and flame you for even saying something.

Let me ask you this:

Do you really like the game to 100% without exceptions and agree on everything A-net does?

I don’t see any flaming or rage.

The reason some people “flip out” is because there is seldom any comprehension as to why these things aren’t in the game in the first place with a complete lack of respect to the majority of the pre-existing player base. They are also often badly written coming across as little more than “..last came I played had this so I want it here….me, me,me!!!” which isn’t opening the topic up for discussion as opposed to coming across as being selfish and needy.

Cue blunt responses,

At the end of the day I see most good and well thought out ideas voiced here from pre-existing and new players embraced. Many new players should be taken with a grain of salt until they know what they are actually talking about though, join in the debate for sure, to to make such game changing “wish-lists” is laughable. These threads are everywhere too, hence yeah….

Let me ask you a question:

If I went into the WoW forum and asked for gear to be made easier to get, removal of mounts due to me not liking them, etc, etc, etc what do you think the response would be?

Yeah…that’s flaming and rage..

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Khisanth.2948

It’s the other way around. Making new skin for mount is fairly easy. It’s designing the code that allow us to use mount that will be hard and that need to be done first. The animation for each character fitting on a mounts, with different shape and size of mounts. A lot of work upstream before you can even start to design the looks of a mount.

Then there are all the clipping issues. Plenty of tunnels with low ceilings.

On the other hand if they really thought that traveling was too slow simply increasing the out of combat movement speed should be trivial in comparison.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

1. WAY to many time sinks
  2. It seems like most of the time playing the game the reward does not meet the effort
  3. MOUNTS
  4. more of a traditional dungeon trait for classes, ie tank, healer, dps
  5. Update store with new items monthly
  6. post everything there is on the store 24/7 (its money you’re losing)
  1. That’s MMO’s… people play them so much that time sinks are needed to keep them p[l]aying (in the store or buying the XPac in GW2). Remove the time sinks and instead of those complaints we see the “nothing to do” complaints. It’s a fine line to walk and developers never get it right for all players.
  2. The GW2 drop/economy mix favors the selling of crafting mats and using the gold to get stuff you want. Paradoxically, most drops are unrewarding because there are so many, many drops that supply is much greater than demand.
  3. There’s a certain degree of trade-off in using skills/traits to get speed boosts. Mounts would remove that trade-off. The skill/trait system is simple enough that there are already not as many opportunity costs as there might be in an ideal world. ANet experimented with mounts that did not provide a speed boost. I see one every once in a while, but their scarcity and apparent lack of return (if there was a lot of interest in them, ANet would have made more) leads me to believe that most of the interest in mounts includes a desire for a speed boost that’s outside one’s build. So far, Anet has resisted providing that.
  4. Dungeons other than Fractals of the Mist are a dead end for ANet, at least up to now. Hopefully you have HoT. The incoming raids look to have some gear diversity, some need for an aggro magnet and heals, and the mechanics on the one boss I’ve seen look far better than most of the dungeon encounters.
  5. We’re in kind of a light period for the store as they prepare for HoT launch in 16 days. Store updates were more frequent before HoT announcement, and I suspect will be after the initial release push is done.
  6. While I’m not a fan of limited time offers, such are designed to increase sales. Since Anet keeps using them, I can only conclude it must be working for them.

Khisanth.2948

I disagree with pretty much every point you make, but I will admit mounts would be a great revenue generator, even though I am against mounts in general for GW2.

The glider skin from the deluxe and ultimate edition makes it pretty obvious that there will be gem store glider skins. Gliding feels close to being mandatory in the jungle judging from Verdant Brink. IIRC one of the raid bosses also requires gliding. So there you go, “revenue generator from a movement related thingamajig” already covered.

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

No to everything with the exception of mounts

The argument against mounts is funamentally flawed and these posts continue to spring up as a result.

Waypoints is a folly excuse because if that were true then the entire swiftness and 25% movement buff system we have in place should be removed. There is literally no difference in moving 33% faster with swiftness than moving 33% with a character reskin. Furthermore carpets, drills, and brooms already exist and the gliding system is a form of mounts in itself since there will no doubt be a variety of gliders.

There literally is no excuse or argument that can be held up for the removal of mounts. Thus the posts will always be made and the white knights will always swarm as I’m sure some knights will attempt to attack this post since it requests a change to there so called perfect world.

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

The argument against mounts is funamentally flawed and these posts continue to spring up as a result.

Waypoints is a folly excuse because if that were true then the entire swiftness and 25% movement buff system we have in place should be removed. There is literally no difference in moving 33% faster with swiftness than moving 33% with a character reskin. Furthermore carpets, drills, and brooms already exist and the gliding system is a form of mounts in itself since there will no doubt be a variety of gliders.

There literally is no excuse or argument that can be held up for the removal of mounts. Thus the posts will always be made and the white knights will always swarm as I’m sure some knights will attempt to attack this post since it requests a change to there so called perfect world.

Gliders really don’t count, they were added as a way to add depth to the new multi-tiered zones.

Though I won’t add more since you already stated “my opinion is right, and anyone who argues is just a white knight” so I’ll refrain.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Mounts were removed?? Did I miss something? Where can I find screenshots of these mounts before they were removed? I’d be interested in seeing them.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

My suggestion to the OP is to forget your old MMOs, this isn’t the same kind of game. Embrace it for what it is and enjoy. You don’t have hard roles, but you can diversify yourself, contributing heals is valuable, you can have people who pull agro with toughness on a lot of enemies but not all of them can be done that way and that’s on purpose. You can protect your allies actively with things like Aegis and projectile defense.

The game is great, but it’s not just the same old MMO. I know you know this but it’s hard to let it sink in if you fight it with your past experience and how much you enjoyed those.

That all said, yay another oldschool EQ player

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

There is literally no difference in moving 33% faster with swiftness than moving 33% with a character reskin.

Yes, there is a huge difference. Having a mount to provide OOC speed means I no longer have to waste one or more skill slots or take a specific entire trait to have speed/swiftness skills.

Posted by: Raistlin.3210

Raistlin.3210

every suggestion made by OP has been decided by the majority of the community that they’re unwelcome suggestions and tons of players would probably quit if they came around
moderators pls close thread, im sick of hearing the same suggestions every time I visit the forums

decided by the very small handful of people that actually use the forums you mean?

and if this is a on-going topic like you say , your point is null and void
that just proves this is something people want

either way warcraft is a dated game, so saying “go back to wow” is just plain ol kittened

and even if (which i doubt and would bet 1 mill bucks on) they added a few of these things and lost all of the people that they have had since launch , the amount of people they would gain would overshadow that amount x10

how many people play this game 200k?

another thing to consider is that when people arent happy with an MMO they just quit playing it, they dont post on the forums and give the devs a chance to hear them and fix/change things

and i never said i didnt like this game, i play it tons, it would just be nice for the rewards in the game to fit the time spent getting them

Posted by: Hashar.6082

Hashar.6082

I have 3 full sets of ascendant armors and never has to grind.

How exactly?

Posted by: Amenaza.8346

Amenaza.8346

every suggestion made by OP has been decided by the majority of the community that they’re unwelcome suggestions and tons of players would probably quit if they came around
moderators pls close thread, im sick of hearing the same suggestions every time I visit the forums

decided by the very small handful of people that actually use the forums you mean?

either way warcraft is a dated game, so saying “go back to wow” is just plain ol kittened

and even if (which i doubt and would bet 1 mill bucks on) they added a few of these things and lost all of the people that they have had since launch , the amount of people they would gain would overshadow that amount x10

You have to take the biting reflex of the vocal forum community into account. As soon as they even see a comparison to that other MMO, everyone goes bananas, tells you to play another game and how important it is that GW2 is different.
People are too shortsighted to see that there is a benefit in copying mechanics that are proven to work while maintaining the unique flavor of this game.

I.e. there is no rational reason in not allowing UI customization. Best solution would be a fully customizable UI provided by ANet (such as SWTOR had), but if they lack the resources to provide this, I’d rather have 3rd party customization addons than no option for that at all. This is a PvP thing mostly and I get why this is hard to understand coming from a pure PvE point of view. I want to fight the player, not the interface.

Don’t get me started on damage meters, the hypocrisy is incredible. People mostly associate the toxic players in WoW with it (sometimes mix them up with ambitioned players that want to play with the like minded and cry “toxic elitist” if they dont want to carry slackers) and pretend that everything is fine here in the oh so different GW2.
Matter of fact is, toxic players exist everywhere, GW2 is no exception, the toxicity is already there in the current system and has always existed. The difference is that ppl get kicked or flamed because of vague, nonsensical reasons and prejudice (profession, AP, “ping gear”, uplevel) with no means to prove their worth. Whole professions are just excluded mostly based on random assumptions – try to find a high fractal group while not playing within the 1guard – 1war – 2ele – 1thief meta, because someone somwhere wrote that this is the best. Having actual numbers relevant for GW2 (not just damage; healing, boon uptime/assisted dmg, #downed, interrupts, dmg prevention by dodge/reflection etc.) would not only allow for fair comparisons and fact checking (even if it is only for yourself) but also make glaring issuses in class balance obvious as soon as they arise.

Same for the trinity. I personally do not want to go back to mandatory healers + tanks to complete content and the whole PvP dynamic would suffer if they ever implemented it. Why does it come up all the time? Because people like to have a role and a specific task they can excel in. This abstract concept is not bad in itself and does not necessarily lead to the trinity – trinity is just one (traditional) implementation of it – and would certainly not turn GW2 into a clone of that other game; it would actually benefit the PvE gameplay. The situation at hand is that regarding efficiency almost every encounter comes down to “do as much damage as you can before either you or the boss dies” for everyone. One can not seriously argue that this is in any way challenging or superior in its design. Yes, this problem is also benefitted by bad pathing and AI, but would not change in its core essence if those were improved.

But it sounds like that other game so NO NO NO NEVER WE ARE SO DIFFERENT EVERYTHING FINE PRAISE ANET.

FSP
[echo]
I do not speak in the name of my guild

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Decided by very basic reasoning.
If people don’t like the game, they leave it, and they leave the community.
The majority of the community must therefore either be new and not experienced, like you, or have already left.
The game is not young. It’s three years old. The dust has settled and it has a stable population of people who enjoy the game.

If people have been saying this stuff for three years and Anet still haven’t put it in, they aren’t going to put it in.

Only as young as you feel.
WoW still provides a very strong PvE environment for raiding. If you want to play that raiding game with the structures you enjoy, go and play that.
If you want to play a new game that uses the base structure of WoW and expands upon it, and diverges less than GW2 does, go and try SWTOR. It didn’t do so well early on, but it’s a very healthy game at the moment. It has a very promising expansion being released soon as well.

Evidence, please.

how many people play this game 200k?

Lol. Are you arguing for a better game or a more populous game?

another thing to consider is that when people arent happy with an MMO they just quit playing it, they dont post on the forums and give the devs a chance to hear them and fix/change things

From all the people I’ve met who stopped playing GW2, their answers generally fell into one of these two:
1. Too different from GW1
2. Simply didn’t grab their attention

and i never said i didnt like this game, i play it tons, it would just be nice for the rewards in the game to fit the time spent getting them

Keep in mind that it is an MMO with no level cap raise. If you get ascended gear, it lasts for ten years. The time investment compared to that is absolutely miniscule.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

Why do players always want to make GW2 like all the other games they have played?

Same thing in other game communities I’ve been part of always someone saying bring x to this game because x has it.

What fun would it be if all the game had all the same exact things as each other?

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

A better question to ask is why do players complain about a game they are playing when there are so many other games available for them to play.
Surely if you dont like the game that you are playing, then why play it?
I used to play WOW many years ago, and a common post on the WOW forums was
“if you dont add XXX to this game , then Im quitting”, where XXX is whatever you think the game needs.
6 months later the same posts from the same players.
I didnt like everything in WOW, as I dont like everything in GW2 , but I see no need to complain as overall both games had far more good things than bad.

coso.9173

why do some people get so rude when someone makes suggestions? you can disagree without being rude, just a thought.
if you’re sick of seeing the same posts over and over, then maybe you should not enter them in the first place?

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

why do some people get so rude when someone makes suggestions? you can disagree without being rude, just a thought.
if you’re sick of seeing the same posts over and over, then maybe you should not enter them in the first place?

Easy one to answer its because the anonymity of the internet hiding behind a computer screen without the fear getting their butts kicked!

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: DeadSurvivor.6157

DeadSurvivor.6157

So Far, I’m Enjoying Guild Wars 2 The Way It Is (Though I’ve Only Played For Six Months).

So Far, The One Thing I Would Like To See Is Various Types Of Mounts Though I’m Sure Gliding Is Anet’s Chosen Way Of Traveling Aside From The Waypoints.

Guild Wars 2 News & Links
Guilds: [AoL]
( Swindle Rogue )

Eponet.4829

It’s just bad variance. There are a lot of people, not all of them are polite, and occasionally you run across that section.

Posted by: Eddie Mo.7169

Eddie Mo.7169

Magic carpet is already in the gem store.. Why not mounts? Just make them pure aesthetics. I don’t mind riding a cool Pegasus when walking around. Maybe give them a 50% move speed bonus, and make it disarmed when attacked or attacking. Just like magic carpet except with the 50% move speed.

GIVE ME A PEGASUS!

Eponet.4829

Magic carpet is already in the gem store.. Why not mounts? Just make them pure aesthetics. I don’t mind riding a cool Pegasus when walking around. Maybe give them a 50% move speed bonus, and make it disarmed when attacked or attacking. Just like magic carpet except with the 50% move speed.

GIVE ME A PEGASUS!

Why 50%?

If it’s not usable in combat, 50% is literally the same as 33%, as the out of combat speed caps at +33%, you’ll notice no difference between super speed and swiftness if you aren’t in combat.

Anyways, speed boosts on it seem like a bad idea, but I don’t mind the idea of purely cosmetic mounts (Though some people did point out that they do add to the visual clutter, so, maybe have an option to enable seeing them, with the default being off). The problem is, they tried them, and they didn’t work. Nobody wanted them.

(edited by Eponet.4829)