Comments about Communications

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: smiling.9028

smiling.9028

I don’t have a problem with devs posting on Reddit when they see posts they can answer. It shows ANet keeps in touch with fans that don’t frequent the official forums.

What I have a problem with is information about things that are high talked about on the official forums going unanswered, but a thread on Reddit about it gets answered and no one from ANet even bothers to C&P the post onto the appropriate thread.

Many times the Devs DO post the information here in forums when they post on Reddit however they don’t post their information in ALL of the 25 different posts created by players about the same subject.

They also are more likely to respond to player who posts something like “Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could dye weapons” instead of the guy who posts, “WHY THE KITTEN doesn’t Anet get off their Kitten and make armor dyes!?!?”

I agree that some threads get a very high response and seem like they are being totally ignored, but if I was the focal point of some of these threads and the anger included in them I sure as kitten wouldn’t want to dive in on page 4 because there’s always “that guy” who is going to feel like his wall of text was not recognized in my response.

P.S. Please fix the loss of map participation when volunteering to change maps!

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I don’t have a problem with devs posting on Reddit when they see posts they can answer. It shows ANet keeps in touch with fans that don’t frequent the official forums.

What I have a problem with is information about things that are high talked about on the official forums going unanswered, but a thread on Reddit about it gets answered and no one from ANet even bothers to C&P the post onto the appropriate thread.

Many times the Devs DO post the information here in forums when they post on Reddit however they don’t post their information in ALL of the 25 different posts created by players about the same subject.

They also are more likely to respond to player who posts something like “Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could dye weapons” instead of the guy who posts, “WHY THE KITTEN doesn’t Anet get off their Kitten and make armor dyes!?!?”

I agree that some threads get a very high response and seem like they are being totally ignored, but if I was the focal point of some of these threads and the anger included in them I sure as kitten wouldn’t want to dive in on page 4 because there’s always “that guy” who is going to feel like his wall of text was not recognized in my response.

P.S. Please fix the loss of map participation when volunteering to change maps!

But they leave several hundred post threads without an answer. The mods clear up and merge those 25 posts into one post. One post that a Dev can then post on. Or the dev can hit the “Create Topic” button.

And that one guy should not stop a Dev from posting the necessary information. The one guy who wrote a wall of text will still be angry that his post was ignored because no one from ANet responded to it.

And I never said they didn’t post anything on the forums. Just that they could do a better job of making sure posts that are made on Reddit are reflected in Dev posts on the official forums.

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

Useful thread. Still a shame the official forums are no longer relevant, but thanks for posting these links/quotes.

the forums here are definitely relevant… that aside, don’t forget, f2p players can’t use these forums, so the only mediums they have are reddit and fan-made forums, so it’s good dev’s communicate on more than one channel.

smiling.9028

But they leave several hundred post threads without an answer. The mods clear up and merge those 25 posts into one post. One post that a Dev can then post on. Or the dev can hit the “Create Topic” button.

And that one guy should not stop a Dev from posting the necessary information. The one guy who wrote a wall of text will still be angry that his post was ignored because no one from ANet responded to it.

And I never said they didn’t post anything on the forums. Just that they could do a better job of making sure posts that are made on Reddit are reflected in Dev posts on the official forums.

I agree that communication isn’t perfect in any sense of the word. I’m just pointing out that it’s unrealistic for them to respond to every players concerns even if they did nothing but sit here all day and reply. And that one guy shouldn’t stop a dev from posting but it will influence their decision on where to post if given the choice.

Same old rule always applies that it’s impossible to please everyone but I think Gaile is headed in the right direction by putting the relevant links and info in one thread and the debate on why it even exists on another.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Is this a thread were we can ask why the forums are still in such bad shape and there’s 0 interest in fixing your own home ?

I mean it’s sad that the forums don’t even have a proper search function but that’s no reason to use another site. Instead you would think making your own home domain functional would take higher priority.

While doing so you can even add the upvote/downvote system that you all love about reddit…it’s like a win-win.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I agree that communication isn’t perfect in any sense of the word. I’m just pointing out that it’s unrealistic for them to respond to every players concerns even if they did nothing but sit here all day and reply. And that one guy shouldn’t stop a dev from posting but it will influence their decision on where to post if given the choice.

Same old rule always applies that it’s impossible to please everyone but I think Gaile is headed in the right direction by putting the relevant links and info in one thread and the debate on why it even exists on another.

I never said they should respond to every single thread posted ever. Just the ones that generate a lot of discussion by a lot of people. And to realize that if it’s a bunch of threads on the same topic to merge the posts before or right after replying, or post their own thread on the issue.

And that guy will show up on Reddit as well. The official forums aren’t the only place the “you ignored my wall of text” poster will show up. It’s an explanation, not an excuse, and not enough of a reason to avoid posting on the official forums.

Their poor communication when heated issues come up and their policies on when they can talk about things about to come out is the one major gripe I have with ANet. A lot of the problems would be solved if ANet was quicker to get a response out when things get heated and if they were allowed to be more open sooner about what’s to come. Obviously not all of them would be solved, but a lot would. Or people would be more understanding.

The most recent instance would be the 400 hero points reveal 3 days before HoT launched. Well after ANet employees would have seen players talking about making Tempests or Dragonhunters and posting full builds, etc and taking them into HoT areas. If ANet had either come out a lot quicker with a response or had revealed that information a lot sooner, the problem wouldn’t have been as bad for ANet.

Posted by: ferdi.1452

ferdi.1452

What’s the point of this thread? Devs are gonna keep on posting on reddit while the official forums remain underused.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Useful thread. Still a shame the official forums are no longer relevant, but thanks for posting these links/quotes.

the forums here are definitely relevant… that aside, don’t forget, f2p players can’t use these forums, so the only mediums they have are reddit and fan-made forums, so it’s good dev’s communicate on more than one channel.

They can use them, they cant post.

There’s a very stark difference between the two. Also, when the topic is developer responses i hardly feel responding is something the average f2p player is worried about as they are already the least invested in party in the game.

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

The only difference between This Forum and Reddit is Reddit has Ads and other places you can get to by clicking..which they probably get a kick back on. No wonder they want you to move to Dreddit.
http://ryanluedecke.com/reddit-ads/

(edited by Monk Tank.5897)

Posted by: Izar.2471

Izar.2471

I think the thread over in the Bugs sub-forum that a Dev responded to explains a lot. Almost nothing but attacks. It’s sad.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

While I can see why Anet is reluctant to talk to the fan base, I have little down that the fan base reacts more strongly when they’re not talked to. It’s a self-perpetuating cycle.

Fan base reacts badly.
Anet responds by withholding comments.
Fan base reacts even worse.

To be more specific there is always an element of the fan base that is going to react strongly in a negative manner. By letting those people have their say in response, more reasonable people will simply learn to ignore those people and those posts.

Right now, Anet is in a situation where people can talk and they don’t get to present their side…whatever their side is.

My guess is Anet is tired of being called names. If people called me a liar or lazy I wouldn’t want to tell them anything either.

But I think it’s a mistake. Tactically and just for the good of the game, it would be better if Anet ignored the unreasonable posts and let the fan base stand for them. The problem is they waited so long to bring the fan base into the fold, it’s harder and harder for reasonable people to side with them. After all, we’re not hearing their side at all.

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

Whatever excuses we make, it’s still ultimately ridiculous that information is being posted in different places. I’m fine with devs posting on reddit but they should also post it somewhere internally for the comms lead to post it here for them.

“well that and the fact that every thread on these forums is just a bunch of whining” – pot meet kettle.

I see a lot of posts saying that whenever something is posted here, people cry and call anet names. I don’t go on reddit so I wouldn’t know if it’s the same there or not but I’m guessing not.. which suggests to me that they have better forum mods. We really do need better ones here. Maybe just more of them.. dunno. I’ve never left a forum I’ve set up without round the clock cover, no idea what goes on here.

“don’t forget, f2p players can’t use these forums”
Yeah seriously.. fix this. Any and all official information and reports and suggestions should come to the official forums. You go to reddit to complain (for instance) and see an ad for an alternative game.. you just lost a player.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

In the spirit of recycling communication posted before, I’ll just quote myself.

I think ArenaNet aspire to the Valve approach, by which I of course mean that they intend to do as much talking to their community as a brick wall made of mute buttons sealed within a vacuum who have recently sworn an oath of silence in accordance with their Religion of Absolute Quiet.

Sure, they have a “Forum Communication Team” (which is a funny way of referring to Gaile Gray). Sure, they’ve posted to say that they will communicate more. Sure, there is a but. But. They rarely engage with us about the Big Issues. It’s usually about small stuff when it’s not saccharine thumb-ups on flavour posts or play nice admonishments as moderation.

Much has been said about a lack of speaking. When your customers actually want to engage you more, the customer imagines conversation, the business imagines compensation. ArenaNet need to have more courage. Not worry that everything they say will be enshrined forever online, picked over by thousands of malcontents, held up as an example of their failings when their words and reality differ. Because there’s something worse than all that, it’s the perceived inadequacies that silence fosters.

As far as the posts on Reddit go, it’s a good start, perhaps ArenaNet can address their systematic failings that engenders the situation where staff post about their job in an open environment is preferable to their home turf.

Posted by: Seed.5467

Seed.5467

Me personally i have no problem if a dev posts something on reddit or whatever other sites are being used.

I understand that there is an official QA concerning comments posted by a developer. I get it that a developer is passionate with his/her job and can post stuff impulsive and unfiltered concerning the areas of the game they currently working on.
What i do have problem with, is the fact that there is no communication at all on the official anet maintained forum and people have to visit other websites to get some sort of scrap on information concerning the game they love to play.

As someone else posted, not everyone uses or likes the reddit stuff. And if devs are prefer posting on reddit, for whatever reason that maybe, then maybe anet should reflect those devs post on their official forums. Maybe anet could make an extra section on their official forum that would allow a dev to post and react to to some concerns that a player has. Something like an “Official-Unofficial” forum.

If that mentioned above is not possible, then please open a forum section and include a monthly update with bulletin points on problem-areas that actively is being working on. In that way the community will be less toxic, knowing that the devs are working on the certain problem areas that the community shares. Something like the the Sneakpeak concerning some WvW changes.

Anyway, i would love to see more Dev communication in their official forums rather on the other sites, as their official forum supposed to be the official source of information concerning the game and not other forums.

Regards

Seed

(PS: Sorry for my broken English)

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

I just want to know if this is going to be a yearly thing. The last time threads were made with the topic being lack of communication, we suddenly got communication (and the CDIs).

Now it seems we are back to square one. (note, not blaming vacations for this, everyone deserves holidays off).

Actually, before I hit post, I decided to look back through google. Yep, it is in deed a yearly thing.

Posted by: Thuggernaut.1250

Thuggernaut.1250

You would think that the devs would know where their bread is buttered, given that only paying customers can post on these forums.

Do you spend time communicating with the people who have actually forked over cold, hard cash (more invested in the game, and therefore more likely to spend more money in the future), or do you spend time on third-party sites where any anonymous fool can troll, air grievances, and libel the game, all over the F2P portion?

Then again communication means nothing when you don’t actually take action on the underlying problems. The devs already let us know that (there’s the communication) that they’re not going to do anything about the atrocious state of matchmaking and balance in sPvP until after the league season ends. So we know we’re stuck with October’s borderline unplayable, unwatchable bunker meta until at least February. Not to even mention the horrendous population issues with WvW that have festered for years and finally reached the breaking point with the expansion launch.

At this point, the game needs a lot more than communication: it needs actual action. If ArenaNet actually starts solving problems, improved “communication” will occur naturally.

Posted by: Liquicity.3621

Liquicity.3621

Classic Anet getting the community to do their jobs for them, instead of putting their info on the official forums themselves

smiling.9028

I think ArenaNet aspire to the Valve approach, by which I of course mean that they intend to do as much talking to their community as a brick wall made of mute buttons sealed within a vacuum who have recently sworn an oath of silence in accordance with their Religion of Absolute Quiet.

I literally almost hit the floor laughing from this, Thank You.

(edited by smiling.9028)

Posted by: Kamara.4187

Kamara.4187

Here is what is going to happen (because people that are really impassioned about their game are driven to be heard).

More players are going to start using reddit, and trust me you all don’t want that because that’s taking the venting out of house. The truth is if they had thought they were being heard here they never would have started going over there to begin with.

This game is very saveable and it can be turned around. Believe me, I lived through the broken spine of SWG, and it could have been saved had they listened to Ralph Koster.

Get back over here on “your forum” put the ball of control back in “your court”.
Take polls or give a “touch base” once a month for Pve, PvP, and WvW and remain steadfast with it. You have my word you will see a turn around in community attitude. RIght now you have nothing to lose. I do like this game, and I want to see it succeed.

I’m not trying to be pushy, and I hope this advise is taken as one who has a solid understanding of gaming communities and would just like to see the best for all parties concerned. Other than that your WvW desert map was amazing…a little big but amazing.

(edited by Kamara.4187)

Posted by: Leohart.4610

Leohart.4610

That’s pretty neat

Posted by: mzt.3270

mzt.3270

Posting on any venue is something the Devs do voluntarily. Except for a select few whose job it is to post, I would assume.

It might encourage those volunteers to post more often, if there was less complaining about where they do post. Just sayin’…

I don’t use Reddit, no idea how it works. But, seems that most important Dev interactions eventually make their way here. Same with Twitter and Facebook.

ArenaNet doesn’t force their employees to share on social media; it may seem a bit much to those that do volunteer to have to post their thoughts/feedback/answers on multiple platforms.

That’s not how the world works, you don’t neglect your customer base because you feel that they are “complaining too much”, a good business does the exact opposite and responds to their customers.

If employees of a company don’t have the social or communication skills to respond to their customer base no matter what state they are in, then that company has lots of problems that need to be fixed.

You don’t ignore your official communication with your customers and go do PR on a 3rd party source hoping you don’t have to deal with unhappy customers.

Customers give a business money, it’s the business job to make sure their customers are happy, that’s common sense.

Pretty much agreed with all of this, complaining and aggrieved customers are not a pain, they are the people who care for your product and simply unhappy when customer interest (through ideas and critique), are not met to better the product they enjoy. But I have seen this sort of issues before in other areas, complaining customers are punished while fanboys and suck-ups who state this game is the land of milk and honey and rose tinted spectacles get cupcakes and other goodies.
Such is life :P

Happiness is finding an Omnomberry in your Grumble Cake

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I refuse to visit reddit because of the absolutely nonstop immaturity and hostility. The devs create a (heavily) moderated bastion of civility here and then abandon it for a trashy alternative site… what??

I find both are the exact opposite of what you describe. There tends to be kitten-all civility here and reddit gets more insightful posts. To each their own, I guess :/

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

Frankly the community is tired of lip service “Anet saying we know we need to communicate more with the community” We would like to see results of such acknowledgement and it will go a long way in easing the salt on the forums. For too long we’ve been ignored on too many hot button issues while lesser important topics get a Dev to respond.

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

Frankly the community is tired of lip service “Anet saying we know we need to communicate more with the community”

Yeah, they’re not even bothering to say that anymore. If they do think that their communication needs improvement, they are most certainly not — surprise!-- COMMUNICATING IT.

For me, a company that is completely unable to acknowledge their shortcomings is a HUGE turnoff. It comes off as arrogant and uncaring. I never used to feel this way about ANet, but in the last couple of years, they’ve made quite an impression on me.

A bad one.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Thoughts for the day: why does it take a player like ‘Just a flesh wound’ to bring us developer news from reddit on that other thread? Why can’t a dev posting on reddit also make a post here linking to his reddit post, just as flesh wound is doing? Or why isn’t there an anet staffer doing flesh wound’s job? And if flesh wound is going to do anet’s work for them, why isn’t he getting paid for it?

Thank you, Just a flesh wound.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

It just occurred to me but why do support ask people to create posts here if the majority of devs are simply going to post in reddit. AFAIK the guy handling legendary collections still hasn’t posted here yet players with queries on them get directed to post here. This inconsistency needs to be cleaned up.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It just occurred to me but why do support ask people to create posts here if the majority of devs are simply going to post in reddit. AFAIK the guy handling legendary collections still hasn’t posted here yet players with queries on them get directed to post here. This inconsistency needs to be cleaned up.

You may be mistaken: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Legendary-Weapon-Bugs/first#post5904786

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

You may be mistaken: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Legendary-Weapon-Bugs/first#post5904786

OK I sit corrected, although I would say thats probably not the right place for it to be seen by a wide range of players.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Posts about bugs should not be in the Bugs sub-forum? An interesting concept, to be sure.

Posted by: Glass Hand.7306

Glass Hand.7306

There is no way posting in any forum should be a job requirement for a developer. That’s the job of the marketing department or management.

I am a developer. If I was working for Anet and allowed to post if I wanted to I’d post on Reddit. This forum is lousy from several points of view. Including the hostility here. Reddit is a different kind of community that is historically friendly to developers. It is also community moderated meaning blatantly off-topic rants like the early WVW tirade in this thread get modded by the community to oblivion.

Reddit is friendly to developers. This forum is not. If people here want developers to post here they need to treat developers better.

It won’t happen. So get used to reading Reddit.

Posted by: GreyWolf.8670

GreyWolf.8670

Reddit and Twitter need to be blocked in the office. This is ArenaNet’s GW2 forum. Post stuff here. Blizzard all over again. smh

Posted by: Nausicca.6038

Nausicca.6038

There is no way posting in any forum should be a job requirement for a developer. That’s the job of the marketing department or management.

I am a developer. If I was working for Anet and allowed to post if I wanted to I’d post on Reddit. This forum is lousy from several points of view. Including the hostility here. Reddit is a different kind of community that is historically friendly to developers. It is also community moderated meaning blatantly off-topic rants like the early WVW tirade in this thread get modded by the community to oblivion.

Reddit is friendly to developers. This forum is not. If people here want developers to post here they need to treat developers better.

It won’t happen. So get used to reading Reddit.

Yea because it’s our fault. Go +1 Quaggan posts on reddit if you think it will help the state of WvW. I’ve decided to stop feeding ANet with my money to proteste agains’t devs silence ( even on your precious reddit) about my favorite game mode. Money is talking louder than words unfortunatly.

VoxL, NSPPT

Posted by: chaosmaster.3196

chaosmaster.3196

Is there an official reason on why they are posting on Reddit and not on their own forums?

Posted by: Siobhan.5273

Siobhan.5273

Is there an official reason on why they are posting on Reddit and not on their own forums?

Nope.

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

Siobhan.5273

Thoughts for the day: why does it take a player like ‘Just a flesh wound’ to bring us developer news from reddit on that other thread? Why can’t a dev posting on reddit also make a post here linking to his reddit post, just as flesh wound is doing? Or why isn’t there an anet staffer doing flesh wound’s job? And if flesh wound is going to do anet’s work for them, why isn’t he getting paid for it?

Thank you, Just a flesh wound.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

I know there is a Forum Specialist Program and right now it’s just profession based, but I personally feel Just a flesh wound should be brought on as a Forum Specialist- Communications “rep” for all the work, at the very least.

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

AKA: “We can only be bothered to communicate with you when we feel the need to do damage mitigation, so we will post where most people are likely to badmouth us”.

Posted by: GreyWolf.8670

GreyWolf.8670

AKA: “We can only be bothered to communicate with you when we feel the need to do damage mitigation, so we will post where most people are likely to badmouth us”.

That doesn’t make any sense to me either. They have complete control over posts here. Is the only solution to make it unpalatable to post on Reddit?

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Hey this developer silent treatment has to go. It is doing more harm than good. We need better communication on the class boards as well as the WvW and SPvP boards.

This silent treatment sound good on paper but that’s as far as it goes. The HoT expansion feels neglected, mainly do to both the production as well as the lack of communication on the direction. We as consumers don’t even know if you are even working on fixing some of the problems in the game that we have pointed out, because you are silent about everything – including things that you are working on.

Posted by: Lampshade.7569

Lampshade.7569

Talked to death, over and over and over. You can’t have a discussion with someone who only listens to what they want to hear. The most recent example that stuck to my mind was the 5 man buff limit in raids. It was so depressing how defeated the PvE forum specialist sounded when he had to explain “Yeah guys, I’ve talked to them, brought up all the points you’ve made, and they just went: nope.”

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

How does silent treatment sound good on paper Knighthonor? Silent treatment never helps anyone, not Arena Net or its customers. No treaty was ever made with one side giving the other `the silent treatment´.

I do not understand Arena Net especially in regards to their utter lack of communication. So many issues would be avoided if they discussed plans with the community and listened to feedback rather than acting first and experiencing the fallout.

I lost count of the merged topics that get ignored and never addressed.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Knighthonor.4061

Well it got merged. How this works

Knighthonor.4061

How does silent treatment sound good on paper Knighthonor? Silent treatment never helps anyone, not Arena Net or its customers. No treaty was ever made with one side giving the other `the silent treatment´.

I do not understand Arena Net especially in regards to their utter lack of communication. So many issues would be avoided if they discussed plans with the community and listened to feedback rather than acting first and experiencing the fallout.

I lost count of the merged topics that get ignored and never addressed.

What I meant by sound good on paper, is that the developers said that they do not talk about things until is finish, that’s cool on paper but in reality they don’t work because we want to know what they are doing and if anything that we bring to the attention is being worked on anytime soon if at all.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Wow. I’m embarrassed for ANET that a forum-user is aggregating their official news for them.

Yeah. I’m just out of words on this.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Azel.4786

Azel.4786

Wow. I’m embarrassed for ANET that a forum-user is aggregating their official news for them.

What could we expect?

The devs hardly post anything of relevant here, much less discuss ideas/concepts/changes with the players – even when they say they will do so *cough*balance changes*cough*.

So we then have a portion of the player base, that is used to official forums being real primary sources of communication of a company, coming here looking for news but finding nothing. Whilst those that go to the cluster hell that is Reddit getting the real news straight from the developer mouths and having a chance to interact with some of them.

Glad though that a kind soul took upon his hand to teach people where to find “Official Forums” (a.k.a. Reddit).

Posted by: Akkeros.1675

Akkeros.1675

its really starting to feel like ANET took the route of the “get a free bottle now for a limited time” then charges you 80 bucks for the next two months because you didn’t cancel your membership that you were unaware you signed up for.
I am sure if people try to call those companies they will get a busy signal coming from a phone in an empty rented storage shed.

It seems they may no longer have the talent left to work on, fix, or communicate what they are doing. There certainly is a high enough turnover rate there too they may only have a few or less original people left.

Siobhan.5273

Indeed. I vote Just a flesh wound should be brought on as a Forum Specialist- Communications Representative. Soon as possible. He is doing all of the work, has been for awhile.

Siobhan.5273

So I posted this a few days ago in the Visual Nerf thread, but it’s quite relevant to the discussion (or lack thereof) in this thread, so I’ll just bring it on over and expand on it a little:

We will never see a response here because that would take courage. The only response I’ve seen was Colin on reddit attacking GW2’s customers that didn’t share his views about the new direction of the game.

Unfortunately, I think that “statement” from Colin is the only thing we will ever see on the matter, and it gets me so frustrated when I see useless staves vs staffs debates getting numerous commentary from the ArenaNet Forum Communications Team Lead, yet stuff begging for meaningful interaction is treated like the elephant in the room. It is honestly shameful. It’s like being in the cool clique in HS where they play it up with their pals right in front of the person they don’t like and they’re trying to annoy. As if suddenly, the other person has no feelings, no eyes, and no way of comprehending the game being played to his face.

I personally wouldn’t employ that as a business tactic, nor would I pull a ‘Colin’ or a ‘Chris Cleary’ either.

I’d just try to be as straight forward with my customers as I could, without talking down to them, wagging my finger at them or condescending to them. Talk to us the way Andrew Gray- Game Designer did on these forums, about the Shatterer. Because really, after what is it, 870 posts (now it’s up to 879 since this was posted a few days back), there are no excuses. This has been nothing but avoidance and it’s a wretched thing to do to your customers whom are trying to open conversation on the issue of ‘visual nerfs’ with the people who can do something about rectifying the problems we have with them.

customer
[kuhs-tuh-mer]

noun
1.a person who purchases goods or services from another; buyer; patron.

2.Informal. a person one has to deal with:
a tough customer; a cool customer.

Again, I am a paying customer. Not a mushroom. I have been reasonable in my arguments, and have posted many screenshots to support the fact that my spit fireball and egg-line aura has nothing to do with the hot mess that is particle effects while in a huge shartty mess of a boss fight, so can someone please stop smacking my hand now and admit that this thing did not net the desired “nerf” result and give us our effects back, that the game had when I bought it (the expansion too) until you can develop, test and deploy a real solution to fix the eye-sores that wind up in the atmosphere of Tyria, or till those “sliders” are added? We’d like that. We actually deserve that. Thanks.

Further to be touched upon is this communication concern post in the January 26th Update: Your feedback thread:

My feedback is about how feedback actually works.

It’s great you guys ask for feedback. I really do appreciate that. However if you hang out in the forums long enough you start to feel that the feedback isn’t going anywhere. This needs to be more of an ongoing and reciprocal conversation. Out of our feedback I would expect a post addressed to the player base saying " We heard you on the following points, we will be looking into them as resources allow. [followed by a list of points]." Then perhaps later or with the same post: “Points 3,7,12, and 15 are going to be a higher priority for us. Points 5,8, and 9 may not be something that is possible. Again this information is tentative and subject to change.”

I understand the player base takes things literally so you have to be carful what you say. But it feels like we have all these threads about good feedback and very little comes out of them. I’m not sure what this disconnect is but it has become apparent to anyone that frequents the forums.

If you read this I genuinely thank you for your time and thank you for making a great game. I hope we can work together to keep it that way.

I understand your thoughts, and perhaps we will be able to do that for some topics in the future; I agree it would be great! But what’s important to note is that we all — as forum members — have a certain level of visibility into our how feedback is handled simply by our participation here on the forums and our involvement in the game.

Here’s what I mean: I’ve seen the request for “gliding in central Tyria” hundreds of times on the forums. I’ve heard it in the game a hundred times, too! So when I see it come to the game, as a player and a forum member I know that ArenaNet listened to player/forum member feedback. I don’t need someone to come and tell me that, I can actually see it in the update notes and in the game.

So while I’m not discounting — believe me, I would be absolutely the last person to discount the potential or the value of further communication; trust me on that! — I like to think of an old expression that my granny said, “The proof is in the pudding.” In this case, take that odd expression to mean that we, as players and forum members, can see through actual game development that the feedback that we give is being read, reviewed, analyzed, and often implemented!

Again I do love communication, and I positively adore when devs post, or when they ask me to post on their or their team’s behalf. But I’m also aware that communication comes through many forms, including that demonstration through actual game changes. And because of that, I like the idea of productive threads like this, which you should know will be shared with every single member of the ArenaNet team as highly-suggested reading.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense. It’s just a personal opinion, but I like to think it has a certain logic.

Gaile – The biggest point you missed here (and really made yourself) is there is no feedback from Anet back to the players UNTIL the updates have been pushed to the game or are road mapped via the ‘release preview’ blogs you guys do.

I cannot recall a time in the last 5 years were Anet had an open Dialog with ‘Feedback’ on the forums in between update phases to deal with ANY of the players feedback which was requested by Anet.

that is the point here.

The OP that you replied to is dead on the head of the nail with this. You guys need to have open communication back and forth with this ‘feedback’ you promise. It needs to stop being one way.

Also, why is there a lack of a PTR still? Many of the changes would have been debated between Anet and the player base between PTR and release. Such as the alacrity nerf.

Communication. There is little to none coming from those who need to be doing the communicating. I’m almost 100% positive my words fall on deaf ears, or someone turns a blind eye to them. I haven’t made a video yet, so we’ll see if I can get that down pat and perhaps get my message out that way.

Seriously though, perhaps a PR team should handle this stuff until policy and team intention can be figured out. Because customers are simply fed up.

-edit-link correction

(edited by Siobhan.5273)

Posted by: casius van.5186

casius van.5186

What communications? Just a flesh wound is doing all the heavy lifting here.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Indeed. I vote Just a flesh wound should be brought on as a Forum Specialist- Communications Representative. Soon as possible. He is doing all of the work, has been for awhile.

Squashing the forum bug.

While I appreciate the compliment, the role of the Forum Specialists is to gather information from the forums and present it to ANet in the form of regular reports so they can see the ideas and thoughts of the players who post. None of this is what I am doing. I’m merely gathering information from a couple of other sites and reposting, which anyone can do if they wanted to spend the time. So, again thanks for the compliment but what I’m doing doesn’t fall into that category.

And there’s bound to be paperwork if it did. Bleh.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.