Dailies - the bane of modern games

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

More and more in modern video games, I see time-gated content and dailies.

In my opinion, this makes a game worse than grinding. The explanation of quite simple: It turns a game into a job, at which point it stops becoming fun.

Normal people work during the week, then go home on the weekends to binge on their favorite video games. In an entire week’s worth of work, they are able to make up for it in one day by working extra hard.

However, dailies prevent you from doing that. Instead, you are forced to log on every day, even when you’re not in the mood. (While some argue against being “forced”, the fact is it will take a very, very long time if you do not log in every day.)

This creates a false addiction, where players feel like their game is more of a hassle or job than a game.

This is a plague to modern gaming in general, and I’m especially concerned with the direction of Guild Wars 2.

Dailies are not a good thing!

(edited by Kain Francois.4328)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Dailies are an excellent addition to mmo’s in my opinion – they allow players, particularly casually minded players, to obtain items at a pace more suited to their needs without any form of grind whatsoever (there is no grind in the current dailys at all, not even slightly).

Dailys like the GW2 ones work because the reward you with things which you don’t need to progress. The argument of laurels for ascended is moot since ascended provides virtually nil advantage in open world play.

Forcing is the wrong word. Encouraging is a better one. MMO’s need people logging in. No matter how strong the content can be, MMO’s need little gimmicks like these to keep people logging in to their game – that’s why they exist and why they work so well

Posted by: holotype.1643

holotype.1643

regardless of whether you like dailies or not, or if you like GW2’s implementation of them (vs WoW’s for example), they are surely not required.

Sometimes when I log in I don’t get all of the requirements done for the daily, and I log out without worry.

Other times, the daily gives me something to do in addition to guild activity or dungeons or farming.

It’s a complimentary feature and I bet most players appreciate the option.

Championing Blackgate since Aug. 25, 2012
[UV]

Posted by: Stone.6751

Stone.6751

People who are compelled to play even when they don’t want to play, or who farm tirelessly for an item but don’t find farming fun, or who grind for a reward and hate grinding, are mistaken to blame the game’s design. You all need to take a hard look in the mirror and take ownership of your own behavior.

Stop acting like a victim. The game is giving you a way to earn a reward, which is completely optional and of no consequence in your ability to play the game to its fullest. Your choices and your behaviors are what’s making you dissatisfied.

Penny Royalty – Level 80 Guardian
Raingarde – Level 80 Necromancer

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I am one of the players the OP mentioned – I work during the week and can only reliably play on weekends. Some week nights I’m on but I definitely can’t be on every day. And some days when I am on I don’t feel like doing whatever the daily needs.

But I have no problem with dailies. In fact I really like the current system precisely because I don’t feel forced to do them. There’s no real consequences if you miss one, it will take you a bit longer to get that gear than someone else, but that’s going to be the case for some people no matter what system they use.

You can’t catch up by grinding it on the weekend, but if that was an option you’d actually end up even further behind because the people you imagine yourself competing with would be grinding it all week.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

I am always for giving as much chance for everyone to get rewards in the game, but the fact is the rewards for dailies is always there. You can do it every day or every few days, at your own pace. The only difference is the rate of which you achive ur goal with the laurels or whatever daily rewards. Unless the idea is to be against anyone having more than you yourself have (which is silly, because theres always someone who has more than you, one way or anothers thats just life), then i really can’t fault the system.

Forget about why THEY implement the system, think whether or not you will completely miss out on the rewards; that’s how i look at things in this game. and with dailies, you really dont miss out much at all.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Sometimes the dailies force players to play change the way they play. By making players play in areas they are not in the mood to play. This can leave whole other zones nearly empty. This goes against the play your own way philosophy.

Posted by: Jared.8497

Jared.8497

I think it’d be cool if the number of time you could complete your dailies stacked each time you didn’t do them, stacking up to 5 or so (instead of being fixed at 1/day). That way one could still do one’s dailies after a break, work week, whatever, and still be putting in the same effort to garner them as folks who are able to log in every day religiously.

I for one have worked 12 hour shifts before. Between the shift’s length and the commute, I literally spent more time at work than I did at home, and some of that time needs to be sleep, showering, etc. So time to play vidya games got flushed. That is – until my 3-day weekend would begin, then I could play as much as I wanted.

Stone.6751

Sometimes the dailies force players to play change the way they play. By making players play in areas they are not in the mood to play. This can leave whole other zones nearly empty. This goes against the play your own way philosophy.

Wrong.

Nothing is forced. Players make their own choices.

Again, people need to accept responsibility for their behaviors and choices. Look in the mirror, the game doesn’t force it or even require it. Its totally a choice.

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

I have not seen a single good answer to the question “Why should 30 minutes a day for 7 days be rewarded more than 3.5 hours a day for one day?”

I’ve seen people questioning the definition of “reward”. I’ve seen people insulting each other’s motivation for playing. I’ve seen people creating false dichotomies between dailies and a game ruled by hardcore players. I’ve seen people saying dailies are better than nothing. I’ve seen all that, but not a single post that can explain why two people who spend the exact same amount of time in-game are rewarded differently, simply because of when they play.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

In GW2 you get rewarded for playing how you want though. Most games have a specific set of quests you have to repeat ad-nauseum. In this game, I just play how I always play and I finish the daily. Also, you can PvP for your laurels. Or you can WvW. I honestly don’t see the issue here.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Wrong.

Again, people need to accept responsibility for their behaviors and choices. Look in the mirror, the game doesn’t force it or even require it. Its totally a choice.

No you are wrong!

If a daily says to kill X number of enemies in one region. You will most likely finish your dailies in that region. But what if a player doesn’t have much time. And they wanted to play in a different region only to find that the daily does not reward them for doing so.

Randulf.7614

I have not seen a single good answer to the question “Why should 30 minutes a day for 7 days be rewarded more than 3.5 hours a day for one day?”

I’ve seen people questioning the definition of “reward”. I’ve seen people insulting each other’s motivation for playing. I’ve seen people creating false dichotomies between dailies and a game ruled by hardcore players. I’ve seen people saying dailies are better than nothing. I’ve seen all that, but not a single post that can explain why two people who spend the exact same amount of time in-game are rewarded differently, simply because of when they play.

The sheer number of variables in that are so impossible for a games maker to make it any other way. Its an impossible question to answer and equally impossible to solve.

NewTrain.7549

The sheer number of variables in that are so impossible for a games maker to make it any other way. Its an impossible question to answer and equally impossible to solve.

I truly doubt that. Tell me, how often do you see complaints about monthlies, hmmm?

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I think it’d be cool if the number of time you could complete your dailies stacked each time you didn’t do them, stacking up to 5 or so (instead of being fixed at 1/day). That way one could still do one’s dailies after a break, work week, whatever, and still be putting in the same effort to garner them as folks who are able to log in every day religiously.

I for one have worked 12 hour shifts before. Between the shift’s length and the commute, I literally spent more time at work than I did at home, and some of that time needs to be sleep, showering, etc. So time to play vidya games got flushed. That is – until my 3-day weekend would begin, then I could play as much as I wanted.

I too work 12 hour shifts, sometimes 5 days of the week. (Monday-Tuesday, Friday-Sunday.)

On those days, I sometimes do the dailies, and sometimes I don’t. I like that in the end it doesn’t matter if I do them or not. Yes, not doing them slows down the earning of the rewards I’m after, but I can still earn it. I don’t miss out on anything.

I like that.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Randulf.7614

About as many as I see daily complaints to be honest

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

Wrong.

I see people say “forced” all the time and I see your typical response. Semantics. Ok we know people are not technically forced, we didn’t even need to buy the game. They add things in like this though that creates the feeling of needing to log in. Do you really need to? No of course not. If you want to stay up on the best gear though, you had better. That is where it became an issue, is when they added laurels into it.

Personally I don’t have any challenges with it, I get mine done everyday. That’s me though. I try to have empathy for others who can’t instead of telling them it sucks to be them.

The issue I have with dailies in any game, and I have said this before; is that it starts off fine, some daily content gives people something to focus on each day. Then they decide they want to add more daily content, and more, and eventually you log in and there is this mass of daily things you feel you need to accomplish. Again you can choose to not do that, but there is a reason they do it. They design it that way so most people will do it. So you’re not forced but they are definitely trying to steer you that way and they are banking on it, literally.

(edited by Poledo.3256)

NewTrain.7549

Complaint threads about dailies on the first 5 pages of the forums = 4.
Complaint threads about monthlies on the first 5 pages of the forums = 0.

You were saying?

Randulf.7614

You were saying?

That really doesn’t prove anything, nor backs up your point on dailys?

My monthly is finished. I spent maybe 20 hours. I could not play the rest of the month and still I have the rewards. By the same logic, why should I get the same rewards as someone who spends all month?

Some people work towards it as a blitz, some take a while and do it whilst they play. It is not possible to quantify who deserves a reward by time gating as everyone uses the time differently.

Palador.2170

There are things you can do in that 3.5 hours that you can’t do in 7 half hour sessions. There are things you can do in those 7 half hour sessions that you can’t do in one 3.5 hour session.

The rewards are different between the two. You’re looking at only the daily rewards, and not taking into account what else you can do with that 3.5 hours.

NewTrain.7549

You were saying?

My monthly is finished. I spent maybe 20 hours. I could not play the rest of the month and still I have the rewards. By the same logic, why should I get the same rewards as someone who spends all month?

Some people work towards it as a blitz, some take a while and do it whilst they play. It is not possible to quantify who deserves a reward by time gating as everyone uses the time differently.

You totally just destroyed your own point while proving mine with your last sentence. Thank you.

There are things you can do in that 3.5 hours that you can’t do in 7 half hour sessions. There are things you can do in those 7 half hour sessions that you can’t do in one 3.5 hour session.

The rewards are different between the two. You’re looking at only the daily rewards, and not taking into account what else you can do with that 3.5 hours.

Oh, I’m sorry, were we not talking about dailies? Of course I’m only looking at the daily rewards, that’s what this discussion is about.

Posted by: KotCR.6024

KotCR.6024

It’s not dailies that are the problem. It’s the rewards they offer.

Dailies are a great idea to encourage people to play every day, and offer people a little extra bonus incentive for doing something in particular.

The problem with dailies in GW2, is that they award laurels (they didn’t always and nobody disliked the concept of dailies too much before they did), and laurels are time-gated, with no catch-up option. Laurels are important because they are the only way to acquire certain objects – objects that improve your character’s power. This makes people feel forced to do their daily every day or be left behind.

If their was other options for acquiring Ascended Amulets, and an alternative non-time-gated way to acquire Ascended Earrings (Guild Merits are even worse than laurels when it comes to time-gated design), I think having to worry about finishing your daily every day would be alot less of a concern.

(edited by KotCR.6024)

Randulf.7614

You were saying?

You totally just destroyed your own point while proving mine with your last sentence. Thank you.

Oh, I’m sorry, were we not talking about dailies? Of course I’m only looking at the daily rewards, that’s what this discussion is about.

lol I wasn’t making any point at all, you were. But, I’m glad your happy now

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

It’s a necessary evil. They could allow you to just earn as many rewards as you had time to complete, but then people like me who are unemployed and don’t have anything else to do would end up even further ahead of casual one-a-week players than we already are.

I mean, they could change from Dailies to Weeklies, where you complete the same number of tasks for the same rewards as 7 Dailies but had a week to do it, but then what about people who only play for 7 hours every 2 weeks, or 10.5 hours every 3 weeks? What if your schedule leaves you with Saturdays to play but then one Saturday you have to attend a wedding or something? With a Dailies-type setup, you gain or you miss out on rewards in step with how much you play. Lower granularity would lead to situations in which you got screwed.

The Dailies give you enough options that this isn’t really a problem. The vast majority of the time I find myself completing Dailies by accident just by playing the game, and on days that I decide to complete the Dailies on purpose, I appreciate the opportunity to be rewarded for completing content I may not normally complete. Like today, for example, I have less play time than I usually do, so this morning I decided to power through my Dailies. I looked at the options available and decided to hop on over to Frostgorge Sound and actually complete some of those events that I usually just pass by on my way to the Claw of Jormag event or HotW. It was a pleasant way to spend my morning, different from what I normally do, and I got to hear an amusing exchange between two quaggan about how to get guys.

The way Dailies are designed right now, you can either play like you normally do and complete them, or you can pick a few that sounds like interesting diversions and do those. There are enough options every day that both options are almost always available.

The problem with dailies in GW2, is that they award laurels (they didn’t always and nobody disliked the concept of dailies too much before they did), and laurels are time-gated, with no catch-up option.

I actually really like the Laurel system, overall. Best-in-slot trinkets that won’t bankrupt you and can be acquired in parallel with working towards a Legendary? Sign me up!

Some sort of catch-up option would be pretty cool, though. Keep the maximum possible number of Laurels the same for everyone, but if you fall behind maybe you can get a second Laurel per day by completing three more Daily categories or something.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

(edited by Blaine Tog.8304)

Posted by: Assyrian.4827

Assyrian.4827

the REALL problem with dailies is the REWARD. I will ignore dailies and play the game the way I want but that is not an option.
dailies were introduced to (slow players time-gated ) give players another way of getting Ascended.
remove the reward and we will be back at problem of needing another way to get the rewards.
In general the reward system in GW2 is kitten.

NewTrain.7549

It’s a necessary evil. They could allow you to just earn as many rewards as you had time to complete, but then people like me who are unemployed and don’t have anything else to do would end up even further ahead of casual one-a-week players than we already are.

None of that explains how they are “necessary”. In all honesty, if the rewards were simply cosmetic (or horizontal in progression), then what’s the harm in the unemployed gamer being ahead of the casual gamer? You see, my earlier question was in essence both a question of fairness AND reward quality.

That aside, I question how a weekly system would be worse than a daily. You mentioned the person who can only play on Saturdays. Under the system, he gets 4 laurels a month (14 if he does the monthly). Under a weekly system, he gets 38 laurels a month (having done the monthly as well). Now, let’s say he goes to two weddings a month EVERY month. He’s still getting 24 laurels a month, a 10 laurel increase over the current system. Explain how he’s worse off.

Posted by: KotCR.6024

KotCR.6024

I actually really like the Laurel system, overall. Best-in-slot trinkets that won’t bankrupt you and can be acquired in parallel with working towards a Legendary? Sign me up!

Granted, it’s more an issue with the limited methods of acquiring ascended gear than it is with the laurels themselves. I don’t think laurels and dailies feeling forced would be such an issue if there was other options to acquire ascended amulets, and other practical options for acquiring ascended earrings.

But until there is other options for acquiring Ascended Amulets, and a more time-practical way for gaining Ascended Earrings for those who have alts (the horrible Guild Commendation system really doesn’t cut it)., then the current laurel system is a more negative thing than a positive one.

Hopefully, if Ascended Amulets and Earrings become craftable along with the Ascended Weapons and Armour we know are coming, this will no longer be a problem and laurels will once again return to being what they should be – a “bonus” not a “necessity”.

Palador.2170

I was answering your question, which has to do with far more than just dailies. Ignoring other rewards and asking for the same time played to give the same daily rewards is like me asking why I’m not getting dungeon tokens at the same rate per hour as the people that are running dungeons. (Feel free to find the thread where I suggested trading in laurels for dungeon tokens, and see how well THAT went.)

Any system they set up is going to be bad for someone. It can’t be avoided. If they change dailies to weeklies, then some poor guy that only has 30 minutes a couple times a week to play loses out on his chance to advance. If you let dailies build up over the week, then missing a day or two may make a person feel even more stressed about logging in and getting caught up. It also removes the option of logging in and saying “None of that looks fun to me. Screw it, I’ll pass today.”

No system is perfect. Between dailies and monthlies, I think they’ve got a good balance here.

It’s not dailies that are the problem. It’s the rewards they offer.

Dailies are a great idea to encourage people to play every day, and offer people a little extra bonus incentive for doing something in particular.

The problem with dailies in GW2, is that they award laurels (they didn’t always and nobody disliked the concept of dailies too much before they did), and laurels are time-gated, with no catch-up option. Laurels are important because they are the only way to acquire certain objects – objects that improve your character’s power. This makes people feel forced to do their daily every day or be left behind.

If their was other options for acquiring Ascended Amulets, and an alternative non-time-gated way to acquire Ascended Earrings (Guild Merits are even worse than laurels when it comes to time-gated design), I think having to worry about finishing your daily every day would be alot less of a concern.

THIS, however, I’ll agree is a problem. A real problem. Laurels should be the casual answer, not the only (practical) one. When laurels are the only way to go, that creates casual-unfriendly pressure to do dailies/monthlies.

Posted by: IceBlink.4317

IceBlink.4317

I’m fine with dailies. Takes me maybe 30 minutes or less to do at least five of the options requested. Heck, I even do most of it and then switch to a younger alt so the alt gets the bonus exp!

While laurels isn’t a requirement, it is nice to be sitting on a pile of them while you decide on what to save up for, haha.

Assyrian.4827

I’m fine with dailies. Takes me maybe 30 minutes or less to do at least five of the options requested. Heck, I even do most of it and then switch to a younger alt so the alt gets the bonus exp!

While laurels isn’t a requirement, it is nice to be sitting on a pile of them while you decide on what to save up for, haha.

this is not a problem for you but it is a problem for someone like me who only have 1hr to play WvW with his friends and 30 minutes are gone to do dailies.

Posted by: Makai.3429

Makai.3429

People who are compelled to play even when they don’t want to play, or who farm tirelessly for an item but don’t find farming fun, or who grind for a reward and hate grinding, are mistaken to blame the game’s design. You all need to take a hard look in the mirror and take ownership of your own behavior.

Stop acting like a victim. The game is giving you a way to earn a reward, which is completely optional and of no consequence in your ability to play the game to its fullest. Your choices and your behaviors are what’s making you dissatisfied.

“Completely optional” is a weak defense in a game that has horrible drops and a crippling (and ludicrous) diminishing return system. We should all be glad we’ll be getting “bonus gold” with next week’s dungeon patch, right? I’ve played a lot of MMOs over the last 16 years or so and GW2 has the most punishing reward system I’ve ever seen.

It’s a shame Anet can’t allow us any degree of control over our visualization, or I would gladly remove the daily/monthly/personal story/living story panes from the UI. Methinks a lot of players would be less inclined to finish the kitten things if they weren’t displayed like a 2002 popup advert. Three cheers for coddling!

Proud disabled gamer. Not everyone has the capacity to git gud.

(edited by Makai.3429)

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I miss dailies all the time and I certainly don’t feel forced to do them. Sometimes I’ll have 4 out of 5 done from normal game play and don’t bother to do the last one because I don’t feel like playing anymore that day. I don’t feel like missing out on a few laurels is going to destroy my game play. I log out come back in a few days and my characters are still there with all their stuff and I go about my business playing as usual.

Maybe I’m odd but I never feel forced to play a video game. If I start feeling that way at some point I’ll probably reevaluate what I’m doing with my expendable time.

The Burninator

Palador.2170

I miss dailies all the time and I certainly don’t feel forced to do them. Sometimes I’ll have 4 out of 5 done from normal game play and don’t bother to do the last one because I don’t feel like playing anymore that day. I don’t feel like missing out on a few laurels is going to destroy my game play. I log out come back in a few days and my characters are still there with all their stuff and I go about my business playing as usual.

Maybe I’m odd but I never feel forced to play a video game. If I start feeling that way at some point I’ll probably reevaluate what I’m doing with my expendable time.

Well said!

Assyrian.4827

Well said!

I assume both of you don’t have alts.

Stone.6751

Wrong.

No you are wrong!

If a daily says to kill X number of enemies in one region. You will most likely finish your dailies in that region. But what if a player doesn’t have much time. And they wanted to play in a different region only to find that the daily does not reward them for doing so.

Then the player CHOOSES to work towards a reward instead of playing the way they want. Its not forced, its just a choice. If you decide a reward of a certain type is more important than having fun in your preferred method, again that is your decision., and not a requirement of the game.

JustTrogdor.7892

I have 10 actually. What’s your point?

The Burninator

Posted by: Awe.1096

Awe.1096

That is not the issue. Of course if someone realizes that GW2 is taking control over his life, the conclusion of reevalution can only be one. He needs to quit playing GW2. But is this the answer? Should games be designed in a way that they are pushing some people into that reevaluation? And to regain their sanity those people must quit playing this game? By same standard you could say that cigarettes are 100% fine and the only problem is that some people are willing to smoke them. Sure, some people may support such viewpoint but I for one strongly disagree with it.

(edited by Awe.1096)

Stone.6751

Wrong.

I see people say “forced” all the time and I see your typical response. Semantics. Ok we know people are not technically forced, we didn’t even need to buy the game. They add things in like this though that creates the feeling of needing to log in. Do you really need to? No of course not. If you want to stay up on the best gear though, you had better. That is where it became an issue, is when they added laurels into it.

Personally I don’t have any challenges with it, I get mine done everyday. That’s me though. I try to have empathy for others who can’t instead of telling them it sucks to be them.

The issue I have with dailies in any game, and I have said this before; is that it starts off fine, some daily content gives people something to focus on each day. Then they decide they want to add more daily content, and more, and eventually you log in and there is this mass of daily things you feel you need to accomplish. Again you can choose to not do that, but there is a reason they do it. They design it that way so most people will do it. So you’re not forced but they are definitely trying to steer you that way and they are banking on it, literally.

The semantics in this case are very important. Big difference between forced and encouraged and the complaint is thakittens forced. Look, I get that laurels are the easiest way for most people to get ascended items, but no one is forced to have them. People just want them and they want them so badly that they make the choice to not enjoy the game in pursuit of this reward.

That is a decision made by the player. It is their choice and behavior they are unhappy with.

If these were required items to say access other parts of the game, or remain competitive, then you might have more of argument that players are being forced to grind daily. But thats not at all the case as it stands now.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I’m not going to say they’re the bane, but they are bad for games. Dailies are a lazy way to time-gate content, enticing players to log in more often. Games used to rely on compelling game play to achieve this end. Dailies also represent the unfortunate shift – on both the developers’ and the players’ behalf – of rewards over game play.

Palador.2170

Let’s see…

36 Norn Warrior
05 Asura Necromancer
80 Human Elementalist
22 Charr Ranger
10 Norn Warrior
80 Norn Ranger
56 Charr Engineer
42 Charr Guardian
23 Sylvari Mesmer
25 Human Thief
39 Human Ranger
48 Human Warrior
56 Charr Necromancer

… I may have one or two alts.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

So much circular reasoning in threads like this one.

• I don’t like dailies because I feel forced to log in, well, daily. I don’t want to.
  • Why do you feel forced?
  • Because I will fall behind.
  • What does it matter if you fall behind?
  • It will take longer to get what I want.
  • Why do you want it?
  • Because it’s better.
  • So, if you want it as fast as possible, why not log in every day?
  • I don’t want to.

Yet another reason why Ascended was the worst idea ANet has come up with in years. No one gave a skritt’s behind about dailies being “daily” before Ascended.

JustTrogdor.7892

That is not the issue. Of course if someone realizes that GW2 is taking control over his life, the conclusion of reevalution can only be one. He needs to quit playing GW2. But is this the answer? Should games be designed in a way that they are pushing some people into that reevaluation? And to regain their sanity those people must quit playing this game? By same standard you could say that cigarettes are 100% fine and the only problem is that some people are willing to smoke them. Sure, some people may support such viewpoint but I for one strongly disagree with it.

If people feel like video games are affecting their mental health, then yes they should indeed quit playing video games, not just GW2 but all of them. I can understand that dailies can influence people to spend more time in a game. If a person is so wrapped up in it because they feel the need to acquire items as soon as possible then I would suggest that taking a break is a good idea.

I have nothing against people that want to play everyday. It is the idea that they are feeling forced to do so to acquire a certain item faster that I think is the issue. If it is impacting someone to the point is seeps into their quality of life it isn’t the game, it is the priorities of the person playing. In this situation I would even question if changing certain aspects of the game, including eliminating dailies, would really change how the game is affecting them. I think at that point the issue is bigger than that.

The Burninator

Palador.2170

If people feel like video games are affecting their mental health, then yes they should indeed quit playing video games, not just GW2 but all of them. I can understand that dailies can influence people to spend more time in a game. If a person is so wrapped up in it because they feel the need to acquire items as soon as possible then I would suggest that taking a break is a good idea.

I have nothing against people that want to play everyday. It is the idea that they are feeling forced to do so to acquire a certain item faster that I think is the issue. If it is impacting someone to the point is seeps into their quality of life it isn’t the game, it is the priorities of the person playing. In this situation I would even question if changing certain aspects of the game, including eliminating dailies, would really change how the game is affecting them. I think at that point the issue is bigger than that.

While I’m sure this doesn’t apply to everything in this conversation, I think it’s worth tossing the link up here: http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/game-compulsion-part-3

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I like dailies.

You don’t have to do them.

You are not forced to log into the game to do them.

Even if you do log in to do them, they don’t typically take more than 30 minutes and all you have to do is just run around and play. Yes, you may need to work a particualr area like kryta or shiverpeaks, but you still don’t really have to go far out of your way to do them.

I like dailies in this game. They are easy to get done because I’m going to do most of that stuff anyway and since there is a list to choose from, I can typically find 5 on that list that I’m going to go and do anyway.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

Posted by: wiazabi.2549

wiazabi.2549

Dislike dailies.
They encourage you to login everyday.
They encourage you to solo alot.
There is no options to just stack em up and do em in the weekend or whatever .

Dailies tend to have the opposite effect on me if i start to do things like dailies i quickly get bothered by the whole you dont have to but we encourage you to. If stuff is fun enough to do you dont have to encourage people to do it with dailies.

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

Before the laurels were added to the rewards of completing a daily; a daily was an afterthought or an added bonus when it popped up. (Unless of course you were farming the karma).
At this time the reward of a laurel is essential for some to complete their goal. I see no issue if Anet would allow players that miss days during the week, an option to catch back up with some sort of weekly check list.
Each day of the week and their rewards are in the UI for the user to attempt to complete. If they miss only one day then they can focus on it. If they miss more then… you get the picture.
I am quite sure we will have plenty of daily chores to complete once crafting for ascended is implemented. That can easily act as incentive for high level players to log as often as possible.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

I do them when I feel like doing them – if I have the time, I usually don’t mind. If I don’t feel like doing them that day, then I don’t, and I lose nothing.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Ision.3207

Ision.3207

Before the laurels were added to the rewards of completing a daily; a daily was an afterthought or an added bonus when it popped up. (Unless of course you were farming the karma).
At this time the reward of a laurel is essential for some to complete their goal. I see no issue if Anet would allow players that miss days during the week, an option to catch back up with some sort of weekly check list.
Each day of the week and their rewards are in the UI for the user to attempt to complete. If they miss only one day then they can focus on it. If they miss more then… you get the picture.
I am quite sure we will have plenty of daily chores to complete once crafting for ascended is implemented. That can easily act as incentive for high level players to log as often as possible.

I cannot agree more.

Well said.

Perhaps you should add what you said to the Suggestion forum?

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.
We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Well, they could increase the value of the monthly— this dilutes the value of individual dailies and make it so that missing one doesn’t mean that much. Say 20 laurels, but then the monthly would have to be harder (but it could be like harder achievements but require less volume), and I guess people would complain about that. =p

Or scrap that and go for Annual/Seasonal Achievements?

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Well, they could increase the value of the monthly— this dilutes the value of individual dailies and make it so that missing one doesn’t mean that much. Say 20 laurels, but then the monthly would have to be harder (but it could be like harder achievements but require less volume), and I guess people would complain about that. =p

Or scrap that and go for Annual/Seasonal Achievements?

That wouldn’t work. People would just adjust their expectations to 50 laurels per month from the current 40. Annual/seasonal in place of daily/monthly would generate complaints about how it was taking too long to get a single piece of Ascended.

No, the only way to satisfy everyone is to add a new variation on how to get the maximum number of laurels every time someone trots out a different reason as to why their playstyle is disadvantaged.