Dailies - the bane of modern games

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kintari.4172

Kintari.4172

I agree with the OP. Dailies are and have always been a garbage system, in this game and every other. Most people who say they like dailies don’t actually like dailies, they like reward schedules. They’d be just as happy with a daily food-pellet lever as they are with a ‘daily quest system’.

Kintari | Rintaki | Rin Taki | Kian Tir | Zahinn | Lith <<< Blackgate >>>

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Don’t make the mistake thinking that dailies aren’t grinding.

Dailies is grinding.

It’s grinding with a limit. The game places at artificial limit on how much you can acquire in a certain amount of time.

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

This is a tricky issue. On the one hand, dailies and once-a-day content, particularly the boss bonus chests, have worked wonders for keeping a lot of people engaged with the game. Without them, I probably wouldn’t log in every day. Like the dailies in GW1, they give me a checklist of things I can do that day for a reward. Every day at 8:00 I log on, say Hi to a number of increasingly familiar faces, and make jokes and kill bosses with them all night. It’s the best experience I’ve had in the game yet.

On the other hand, I completely understand OP’s position. In a non-MMO, I can clear the same amount of content in five thirty-minute sessions as I can in one two-and-a-half hour session. I like the idea of a backlog for dailies, and I expect that the whole daily system will eventualy get a rehaul. What you have to remember about Guild Wars is that it is always a work-in-progress. The difference between GW1 at launch and Eye of the North is staggering. The same will be true of GW2. Be patient and try not to get frustrated and things will work out.

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

all those who call dailies grinding: how do you play the game then?

90% of my dailies happen automatically while playing the game however I feel. The rest is just completing a few unfinished ones which lasts about 10min max.

grinding? really? O_o Maybe you should play the game instead of whining about unneccasary “issues” in forums then.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: Saelune.5316

Saelune.5316

I like dailies. It doesnt kill me to miss them, but its a good goal to get me playing if I lack a different goal. I also like to kill two birds with one stone. I need to do events in Kryta? Guess I will get some map completion in a Kyrta area.

Posted by: arctorius.3025

arctorius.3025

I don’t like the way WOW did dailies. Having static quests that you do the same every day. It really adds nothing to the game.

I love the way Guild Wars 2 does it however. The randomness of the dailies and the different requirements mean that it encourages you to go to places/do things/play alts you wouldn’t do otherwise.

Posted by: Toggles.1783

Toggles.1783

More and more in modern video games, I see time-gated content and dailies.

In my opinion, this makes a game worse than grinding. The explanation of quite simple: It turns a game into a job, at which point it stops becoming fun.

Normal people work during the week, then go home on the weekends to binge on their favorite video games. In an entire week’s worth of work, they are able to make up for it in one day by working extra hard.

However, dailies prevent you from doing that. Instead, you are forced to log on every day, even when you’re not in the mood. (While some argue against being “forced”, the fact is it will take a very, very long time if you do not log in every day.)

This creates a false addiction, where players feel like their game is more of a hassle or job than a game.

This i a plague to modern gaming in general, and I’m especially concerned with the direction of Guild Wars 2.

Dailies are not a good thing!

I mostly agree. My wife and I are constantly ‘complaining’ to each other when time gets away from us and we realize ‘if don’t do our dailies RIGHT NOW, we won’t have time before the reset". It’s quite imposing.

People argue that you ’don’t have to do dailies’. I agree with that as much as saying you “don’t have to pay for internet”. After all there’s always free dial up and internet cafes.

Let’s be real. If you have any intention of playing GW2 outside of ‘blissful ignorance’ you need to do your dailies and monthlies. It does become a job. If you don’t make it a job and make sure you do them, you will regret it in the future when you need those ever so gated laurels for your new alt.

My suggestion is keeping the dailies but allowing seven of them to be done in a week. Obviously Anet has the tech to track that as we’ve seen ‘complete X amount of dailies’ time and again. This solution offers up flexibility for it’s users.

After all, how devastating would it be if people could finish two week’s worth of dailies on their weekend, allowing the hard working folk the option to log in to play as they see fit and not be forced to appease the daily gods if they want laurels.

TL;DR: Turn dailies into a pseudo weekly.

Level 80: Elementalist Engineer Guardian Mesmer Ranger Thief Warrior

Posted by: Chicho Gosho.6507

Chicho Gosho.6507

I have not seen a single good answer to the question “Why should 30 minutes a day for 7 days be rewarded more than 3.5 hours a day for one day?”

I’ve seen people questioning the definition of “reward”. I’ve seen people insulting each other’s motivation for playing. I’ve seen people creating false dichotomies between dailies and a game ruled by hardcore players. I’ve seen people saying dailies are better than nothing. I’ve seen all that, but not a single post that can explain why two people who spend the exact same amount of time in-game are rewarded differently, simply because of when they play.

3 hours a week or less – 0 laurels
3.5 hours a week – 7 laurels
Now tell me – which way is more “forcing” players to log in.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I like dailies personally, you can complete them often by just playing the game without even trying to get them…

I don’t think there is anything wrong with them at all…

I have often missed some and it doesn’t bother me at all…

Its only a ‘job’ if you get into that mindset and think that way…

(edited by Meglobob.8620)

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

I have not seen a single good answer to the question “Why should 30 minutes a day for 7 days be rewarded more than 3.5 hours a day for one day?”

I’ve seen people questioning the definition of “reward”. I’ve seen people insulting each other’s motivation for playing. I’ve seen people creating false dichotomies between dailies and a game ruled by hardcore players. I’ve seen people saying dailies are better than nothing. I’ve seen all that, but not a single post that can explain why two people who spend the exact same amount of time in-game are rewarded differently, simply because of when they play.

What are you talking about? I don’t think you understood what I wrote.

Posted by: eveleaf.4132

eveleaf.4132

I don’t have a terribly reliable job; some days I work all day and just crash in bed at night. Other days I have the whole day free to goof around. It’s very disappointing that while I play more than my sister, overall, she’s got that oh-so-steady schedule and can log in every afternoon at the same time to do her daily. It doesn’t matter that I have the entire weekend free and clear…I’m still going to fall behind.

My suggestion is keeping the dailies but allowing seven of them to be done in a week. Obviously Anet has the tech to track that as we’ve seen ‘complete X amount of dailies’ time and again. This solution offers up flexibility for it’s users.

After all, how devastating would it be if people could finish two week’s worth of dailies on their weekend, allowing the hard working folk the option to log in to play as they see fit and not be forced to appease the daily gods if they want laurels.

TL;DR: Turn dailies into a pseudo weekly.

I agree with this completely. It would allow people who want to do one a day, to still do one a day. It would let others do two every other day, for the same reward. And for those of us “really busy” people, we could just pile through them on the weekend.

Toggles.1783

I like dailies personally, you can complete them often by just playing the game without even trying to get them…

I don’t think there is anything wrong with them at all…

I have often missed some and it doesn’t bother me at all…

Its only a ‘job’ if you get into that mindset and think that way…

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/job

1. a piece of work, especially a specific task done as part of the routine of one’s occupation or for an agreed price: She gave him the job of mowing the lawn.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/occupation

2. any activity in which a person is engaged.

• a piece of work, especially a specific task :
    Kill this, do that, go here so many times (specific tasks) Check!
  • done as part of the routine of one’s occupation :
    Once a day(routine) playing GW2/activity I’m engaged in (occupation) Check!
  • for an agreed price :
    Laurel, exp and some silver (price) Check!

You’re right, not even close to the definition of a job. /sarcasm

It’s a job, you just happen to love your job. I’m happy for you. Some days I love doing dailies too! Those days it doesn’t feel like a job. Too bad it’s not that way for everyone, everyday.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

More and more in modern video games, I see time-gated content and dailies.

In my opinion, this makes a game worse than grinding. The explanation of quite simple: It turns a game into a job, at which point it stops becoming fun.

Normal people work during the week, then go home on the weekends to binge on their favorite video games. In an entire week’s worth of work, they are able to make up for it in one day by working extra hard.

However, dailies prevent you from doing that. Instead, you are forced to log on every day, even when you’re not in the mood. (While some argue against being “forced”, the fact is it will take a very, very long time if you do not log in every day.)

This creates a false addiction, where players feel like their game is more of a hassle or job than a game.

This i a plague to modern gaming in general, and I’m especially concerned with the direction of Guild Wars 2.

Dailies are not a good thing!

I agree. I have 2 jobs and I don’t have time to do dailies. It seems the two choices I have are: Have fun, or do the dailies. It’s not contest, I’ll pick the fun every time. Lately though I’ve been looking at other mmorpgs because I really don’t like the direction GW2 is taking.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Striker.9413

Striker.9413

That’s easy. Instead of having 1 tier for each category, you have 7. Every 5 tiers you complete, you get a chest with 1 laurel, coin, and jug. You get no more chests after 35 tiers, but still get 1 AP for each tier after.

Doesn’t solve the issue of stats being time-gated or the fact that Cursed Shore is completely excluded from the dailies many days (kill variety, events/kills/vets in X zone, event mentor).

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

1. a piece of work, especially a specific task done as part of the routine of one’s occupation or for an agreed price: She gave him the job of mowing the lawn.

2. any activity in which a person is engaged.

• a piece of work, especially a specific task :
    Kill this, do that, go here so many times (specific tasks) Check!
  • done as part of the routine of one’s occupation :
    Once a day(routine) playing GW2/activity I’m engaged in (occupation) Check!
  • for an agreed price :
    Laurel, exp and some silver (price) Check!

You’re right, not even close to the definition of a job. /sarcasm

It’s a job, you just happen to love your job. I’m happy for you. Some days I love doing dailies too! Those days it doesn’t feel like a job. Too bad it’s not that way for everyone, everyday.

I think you are stretching those definitions just a little bit to say the least. What do you normally say if someone asks you what your occupation is? If someone asked me that and I said GW2 they would probably ask me how it pays. Then I would have to say mystic coins, laurels, and karma. At that point they would think I was nuts.

If my girlfriend called me and asked me what I was doing and I said I was busy with this job she would ask me what I was working on. If I said, “I’m just working on my dailies in GW2 so I can get this ring I want,” she would quickly respond, “The only thing you should be working on is getting the ring you are going to put on my finger.” Or she would just break up with me.

You are taking those definitions, snipping parts from them and twisting them from the most common usage of those words to try and supplement your argument.

You specifically did not include the primary definition of occupation, the first one, to try and strengthen your argument.

1. a person’s usual or principal work or business, especially as a means of earning a living; vocation:

The definition of job you posted in context is most applicable to the definition I posted above.

But for job you did not include the secondary definition to also try to strengthen your argument:

2. a post of employment; full-time or part-time position: She was seeking a job as an editor.

Since you like to copy and paste from Internet sources don’t forget about wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupation

Job (role), a regular activity performed for payment, that occupies one’s time
Employment, a person under service of another by hire
Career, a course through life
Profession, a vocation founded upon specialized training
Vocation, an occupation to which a person is specially drawn
A category in the Standard Occupational Classification System

The Burninator

Posted by: Sky.7610

Sky.7610

I agree. Dailies discourage me from logging in and it make the game seem more like a job…

Posted by: MakJulos.6530

MakJulos.6530

I like the dailies, they make buddies come online to play every day!

Well, not all do – some of them does realize that GW2 is just a game that they can play in their own pace without getting stressed up if they can’t buy some ingame item in shortest possible time – yup, i know some clever ppl!

Swedish ex-SWG dinosaur, cheez doodles ftw!

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

Dailies were introduced as an alternative to Fractals to acquire certain gear. WvW was also updated this way. So, if you can’t do dailies but you have several hours on the weekend, then go WvW or do Fractals, and acquire the tokens for that gear that way. There are at least three methods of acquiring Ascended gear and two of them are set up to reward longer playtimes in one shot, while one is set up to reward shorter playtimes through the week.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Dailies were introduced as an alternative to Fractals to acquire certain gear. WvW was also updated this way. So, if you can’t do dailies but you have several hours on the weekend, then go WvW or do Fractals, and acquire the tokens for that gear that way. There are at least three methods of acquiring Ascended gear and two of them are set up to reward longer playtimes in one shot, while one is set up to reward shorter playtimes through the week.

Oh great! So now you are telling me I have to change occupations and get a new job???

The Burninator

Sylv.5324

No, what I said was,

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Sometimes the dailies force players to play change the way they play. By making players play in areas they are not in the mood to play. This can leave whole other zones nearly empty. This goes against the play your own way philosophy.

Wrong.

Nothing is forced. Players make their own choices.

Again, people need to accept responsibility for their behaviors and choices. Look in the mirror, the game doesn’t force it or even require it. Its totally a choice.

No you are wrong!

If a daily says to kill X number of enemies in one region. You will most likely finish your dailies in that region. But what if a player doesn’t have much time. And they wanted to play in a different region only to find that the daily does not reward them for doing so.

Then the player CHOOSES to work towards a reward instead of playing the way they want. Its not forced, its just a choice. If you decide a reward of a certain type is more important than having fun in your preferred method, again that is your decision., and not a requirement of the game.

Some dailies make entire zone nearly empty of players. Resulting in very few DE.

Why should players get more of a reward for playing in the region the daily is required? There is a such thing as a BAD daily task. If it has a negative impact on other areas of the game.

Toggles.1783

I think you are stretching those definitions just a little bit to say the least. What do you normally say if someone asks you what your occupation is? If someone asked me that and I said GW2 they would probably ask me how it pays. Then I would have to say mystic coins, laurels, and karma. At that point they would think I was nuts.

If my girlfriend called me and asked me what I was doing and I said I was busy with this job she would ask me what I was working on. If I said, “I’m just working on my dailies in GW2 so I can get this ring I want,” she would quickly respond, “The only thing you should be working on is getting the ring you are going to put on my finger.” Or she would just break up with me.

You are taking those definitions, snipping parts from them and twisting them from the most common usage of those words to try and supplement your argument.

You specifically did not include the primary definition of occupation, the first one, to try and strengthen your argument.

1. a person’s usual or principal work or business, especially as a means of earning a living; vocation:

The definition of job you posted in context is most applicable to the definition I posted above.

But for job you did not include the secondary definition to also try to strengthen your argument:

2. a post of employment; full-time or part-time position: She was seeking a job as an editor.

Since you like to copy and paste from Internet sources don’t forget about wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupation

Job (role), a regular activity performed for payment, that occupies one’s time
Employment, a person under service of another by hire
Career, a course through life
Profession, a vocation founded upon specialized training
Vocation, an occupation to which a person is specially drawn
A category in the Standard Occupational Classification System

I’m sorry but no. Throw all the fallacies and rhetoric at it you want, you’re still arguing with the dictionary and are wrong.

You’re taking the connotative meaning and wrongfully thinking it’s the only acceptable usage.

If using a definition other than it’s most common one is ‘twisting’, then what of homonyms?

But you know what, let’s ignore the dictionary… it’s obviously wrong as you’ve shown with you’re irrelevant wiki link. Let’s look at something more popcorn worthy.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/The-New-Guy-What-I-Like-About-GW2-So-Far/2017582

Thanks for the info on fps improvements. I’m a mac user (insert macs are kitten comments) here. I’m running a 2009 base iMac (9NVIDIA GTX 675MX so it as wonder I can even play in crowded areas). I mostly use it for work and it does a very good job with that. I never purchased it for gaming. I got it because it handles a lot of work related functions very well and has been insanely stable, even when maxing out my RAM and a lot of page outs.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/How-GW2-is-NOT-casual/2017023

That doesn’t mean I don’t take the limited time I do play seriously. I do have concern for my personal goals at this time, which will change as I accomplish more things, and when I play I pursue them. I do have one aspect of the game I have a high level of concern for an that is enjoying the game when I play. So far I feel I’m doing a very good job with that.

Simply put, enjoy the game the way you like to and don’t worry how others like to enjoy the game. Just like when we were kids on the playground, you don’t have to play with me and I don’t have to play with you.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Casual-is-not-1-2-hours-a-day/2002011

I will probably never make 80. I played WoW for years and never came close to the cap.
However my goal is to enjoy the game the way I see fit and GW2 does a great job of accommodating that. So in my opinion the game is for casuals and people should not determine what my goals should be.

Thank you, past JustTrogdor.7892 for proving my point that words don’t have to be used in their connotative way.

Sylv.5324

He tried to use that stuff on me, too, when my post didn’t talk about jobs or work or whatever. Bro’s got issues.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Toggles.1783

He tried to use that stuff on me, too, when my post didn’t talk about jobs or work or whatever. Bro’s got issues.

Don’t worry about it. It’s pretty clear what’s going on here. Fail trolling.

But an amusing thing about the http://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/How-GW2-is-NOT-casual/2017023 link…

He quotes merriam-webster and bolds the second and third definitions. oops.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I’m sorry but no. Throw all the fallacies and rhetoric at it you want, you’re still arguing with the dictionary and are wrong.

You’re taking the connotative meaning and wrongfully thinking it’s the only acceptable usage.

If using a definition other than it’s most common one is ‘twisting’, then what of homonyms?

Let’s just stop right now with the word-mincing? I hope the semantics and wordplay here are agreeable to people.

- You’re not forced to play daily, you are encouraged. For some this encouragement holds a stronger pull than others, so that it might feel they as though they are being forced.

- It’s not a job, using colloquial english, it’s a hobby which someone sinks a lot of time into. Guild Wars 2 is not the only example of this, nor is it limited to MMOs and video games.

- It can be construed and made out to be a job, by definition. It can also be construed to be made out as a hobby within the same vein, and fit a little better.

- There really needs to be better reasons to log in daily than “chasing the Daily”. Aside from fun, since that’s not a real reason at all.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Klawlyt.6507

Klawlyt.6507

Holy kitten. I started this thread off quite encouraged by the laid back attitude so many were displaying. Could this finally be the thread where common sense prevailed?

But alas, it was not to be. A couple things here. The only thing Laurels can get you that can in anyway improve your game that can’t be gotten by quicker means is ascended gear (assuming you avoid the fractals as I do. If you do fractals regularly, I have to assume you have no complaint with the Laural gating). Here’s the kicker, ascended gear isn’t that much better. Upon getting my ascended gear I didn’t stroll into WvW and feel my godly powers radiating all over the fools who would dare cross me. I didn’t feel like I had finally caught up, and had been fighting one handed up till that point. It’s a negligible stat boost.

If PvE is your thing, I’m surprised you didn’t get ascended gear from the fractals. If you’re a WvWer like myself, you should know by now that smarter play will take you much farther than a negligible stat boost.

In WoW you are forced to do dailies, because unless you are properly geared, you CANNOT do certain content. In GW2 not only is there nothing behind a gear wall, there are large segments of the game where you get upleveld to max just so they don’t exclude anyone. Until Mike O’Brien come to your house with a gun and demands you earn your god kitten laurels, I really don’t want to hear anyone talking about being forced to do anything.

Your pressure to do anything in this game is placed there by yourself. If you don’t get your dailies today, take a deep breathe, relax, and realize there’s always tomorrow.

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real.
No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Toggles.1783

Let’s just stop right now with the word-mincing? I hope the semantics and wordplay here are agreeable to people.

- You’re not forced to play daily, you are encouraged. For some this encouragement holds a stronger pull than others, so that it might feel they as though they are being forced.

- It’s not a job, using colloquial english, it’s a hobby which someone sinks a lot of time into. Guild Wars 2 is not the only example of this, nor is it limited to MMOs and video games.

- It can be construed and made out to be a job, by definition. It can also be construed to be made out as a hobby within the same vein, and fit a little better.

- There really needs to be better reasons to log in daily than “chasing the Daily”. Aside from fun, since that’s not a real reason at all.

Hehe

@Klawlyt.6507
You’re ignoring other people’s point of view and focusing on your own.

Klawlyt.6507

I… wha?

andthensomemorecharacters

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

Dailies are a lazy way of recycling content. It wouldn’t be so bad, but the content and tasks just aren’t that interesting.

Toggles.1783

I… wha?

andthensomemorecharacters

You’re applying the topic to yourself and your own play/life style. You’re making assumptions about players that seem obvious to yourself but aren’t necessarily relevant to others.

What I’m getting at is, if I was a PvE only RPer, I wouldn’t a hardcore PvP only player rationalizing things for me.

I’m not implying a label on you. I’m using that as an example to what I’m saying which is your post doesn’t seem to identify with it’s target audience.

Sorry for being unclear.

Klawlyt.6507

I think the core of my argument still stands regardless. Not doing dailies doesn’t stop you from doing anything (conversely, keeping up with your dailies doesn’t allow you to do anything extra). The advantages given by ascended gear are negligible. In many other MMO’s you actually do need the next tier of gear to do large segments of the game. In those games it is reasonable to feel forced to do dailies (or dungeons, or raids, or whatever) to enjoy sll the game has to offer. I feel this game places no pressure on you to get ascended gear, unless you’re going for high level fractals, where you get ascended gear much quicker than via laurals anyway. Therefore any feeling of pressure is internal, and can be alleviated with some self-control. That’s the meat of my opinion. The rest was just colored by personal stuff, because my point of view is the only one I have the right to express, and I wanted to show where I was coming from.

RPing is something that’s always fascinated me, but I’ve never dabbled with (on the other hand, I have a long history of tabletop roleplaying, so I get that itch scratched elsewhere). How did RPers contend with dailies before they added laurels?

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

Don’t make the mistake thinking that dailies aren’t grinding.

Dailies is grinding.

It’s grinding with a limit. The game places at artificial limit on how much you can acquire in a certain amount of time.

Don’t make the mistake of not knowing what grinding is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grinding_
Dailies do not require you to do the same content over and over again. They change from day to day. You can get your daily without even realizing it by merely spending some time in WvW playing normally our just out playing in the open world PvE.

A grind is spending 4 hours killing the same 3 camps of mobs over and over.

Doing dailies is in no way obligatory and they are not required in order to be able to play any gameplay content.

A grind with a limit is almost definitionally NOT a grind.

Maybe if dailies reset as soon as you completed them i.e. you get a new set of dailies to complete immediately upon finishing one set AND if doing a certain number of dailies was the only way to be able to get into some dungeon, THEN they would be a grind. But they are both optional and time limited. Both of these things on their own disqualify them from being a grind.

You can complain that they make you feel obligated to log in and do them. But again, this isn’t some game where you have to do X dailies before you can get into the next raid and there are new raids coming out all the time which require even more dailies and if you get behind your guild won’t invite you to the raid. Whatever obligation you feel is on yourself. You’ve decided you HAVE to have as many laurels or cheevos as is humanly possible.

Dailies are excellent tools for game developers because they simultaneously give more rewards to people who have more time (up to a point, those people who can reliably log in every day to complete them), give people encouragement to log on more often keeping people playing the game, and make it so people who can’t play nearly as much don’t feel nearly as “left behind” as if there was no time gating.

Complain all you want but get the kitten definitions right. It may be a sneaky tactic in your book, you may feel obligated, you may wish you could get ALL THE LAURELS because you can spend every waking moment playing the game, but it is not a grind.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

There is no need to do dailies everyday. And IF you need laurels that bad just play 3 PvP matches each day and you are set. I am sitting on ~140ish laurels right now and I have no idea what I should spent them on

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Fun clip, dunno what it has to do with anything

I don’t think dailies on their own are the bane of MMOs, it’s how it’s handled. That’s all I have to say about that.

(Sits down)

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Konrad.9587

Konrad.9587

I feel this game places no pressure on you to get ascended gear, unless you’re going for high level fractals, where you get ascended gear much quicker than via laurals anyway.

You can’t get ascended amulets nor accessories from fractals. The only way to earn this BiS gear is by completing extremely easy, dull, boring and repetitive, yet heavily time-gated content. You may be a good player but your playing skill is irrelevant, it’s the repetition that rewards you. I believe this is wrong, but this approach is present in so many areas of the game…

Usually I prefer to do the chores – the dailies, as soon as possible. This way I can just focus on an activity that actually gives me fun, yet isn’t sufficient to complete the dailies alone.

Sylv.5324

You can PvP and WvW for them as well.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: crestpiemangler.7631

crestpiemangler.7631

Dailies are an excellent addition to mmo’s in my opinion – they allow players, particularly casually minded players, to obtain items at a pace more suited to their needs without any form of grind whatsoever (there is no grind in the current dailys at all, not even slightly).

Dailys like the GW2 ones work because the reward you with things which you don’t need to progress. The argument of laurels for ascended is moot since ascended provides virtually nil advantage in open world play.

Forcing is the wrong word. Encouraging is a better one. MMO’s need people logging in. No matter how strong the content can be, MMO’s need little gimmicks like these to keep people logging in to their game – that’s why they exist and why they work so well

When you’re time-gating by the day and not by the week, you’re screwing over people with lives, the very people you’re trying to get to stick with the game in the first place.

One thing you’ve conveniently ignored is the fact that for some games dailies roll over into the next day if some of the objectives have been completed with the option of forfeiting it for a new daily.

GW2 does not give players this luxury. There really is no reason to have the current system other than artificially boost player numbers by cheap psychological tactics in lieu of quality content.

Klawlyt.6507

I feel this game places no pressure on you to get ascended gear, unless you’re going for high level fractals, where you get ascended gear much quicker than via laurals anyway.

You can’t get ascended amulets nor accessories from fractals. The only way to earn this BiS gear is by completing extremely easy, dull, boring and repetitive, yet heavily time-gated content. You may be a good player but your playing skill is irrelevant, it’s the repetition that rewards you. I believe this is wrong, but this approach is present in so many areas of the game…

Usually I prefer to do the chores – the dailies, as soon as possible. This way I can just focus on an activity that actually gives me fun, yet isn’t sufficient to complete the dailies alone.

I’ll admit, I didn’t realize that. I’ll gladly admit the last fractal I ran was in November when they debuted.

That still doesn’t change the fact that the stat increase is almost meaningless, and not having them doesn’t stop you from doing anything. There’s not a single part of the game that even comes close to requiring you to have them, though I could be wrong about the high level fractals, admittedly. Let’s be honest though, fractal grinding was put in place to placate those who like grindy, repetitive content. Hence my avoidance of them.

Posted by: Seezungenschleuder.8319

Seezungenschleuder.8319

I totally agree with the thread starter. At least morph them to weeklies, so we are not forced to log in EVERY day.

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

I quite like the dailies. Yes, I’ll admit to occasionally getting that feeling of “but, I can’t do that this evening, I have my dailies …” and then I very firmly decide against doing the daily because I realise that’s not the best attitude to have, lol.

When I do log in, I like to have a little list of things I can do – it can help direct my gameplay decisions (plus, I love checking off items on lists). So, if I see that one of the rewards is for 40 kills in the Shiverpeaks area, then I’ll load up my level 20 Norn and take her off for a killing spree. If I need to do X number of champions then I will either grab a low level alt and maybe join the zerg in Queensdale for a little levelling, or I’ll take a higher level char and challenge myself with some of the harder champions.

I very rarely feel that the dailies are taking away from anything I’d rather do. If I would rather do something that isn’t on the list, then I’ll go and do that first. If I have time to do the daily after that, then I will, but I won’t log off feeling like I’ve missed out on anything particularly special if I don’t complete the daily.

And if I only get 4/5 “tasks” done from the daily, well, I still get AP for that, so that goes towards the next tier of AP rewards. It’s only 4 AP, sure, but every little bit counts. The rewards aren’t going anywhere, and neither am I, so I’ll get to where I want to be eventually.

As long as I continue to enjoy the game, then I’ll log is as often as I can because I want to, not because there’s some carrot on a stick teasing me. If I don’t enjoy the game (which, forcing myself to churn through dailies when I don’t want to would lead to) then it wouldn’t be long before I stopped logging in altogether. Then all that work would have been for nothing anyway and a bigger waste of my time.

Posted by: Sitkaz.5463

Sitkaz.5463

Hey. Plenty of “normal people” work on the weekends or other odd hours. I must say this. Thhhbt to the people who think 9-5 M-F is normal. Thhhbt I say.

That said, I agree with the idea that timed events aren’t great, and I think MMOs use them because they do keep people coming back regularly, and an MMO without regular users is a dead MMO. I like the way GW2 does their dailies because I don’t even have to pay attention. The ones I’ve worked on by accident appear in the top right, and if I want to finish them I make sure to gather or revive enough. The reward and the punishment for doing or not doing them isn’t huge enough to force me.

I’d never log on purely to do a daily. I used to in WoW and it’s part of why I started to hate the game. Distancing myself from that type of system is a good thing for me, and likely many others.

Posted by: ToT.7018

ToT.7018

I haven’t missed a daily yet, they do fit my playstyle, i get in from work do a few bosses, play a bit of wvw and i usually find by this time they are done.
Augusts monthly i finished on Sunday and i didnt even look at the list except on the 1st to see what was there, the monthly was far too easy.
Laurels i got an amulet and an infusion and have kept the rest, myself and a lot of my guildies have 200+ laurels, so to me laurels arent the be all and end all of dailies, they just stack up gathering dust.
I know other games arent supposed to be mentioned here so i wont but previously i played another online game and the daily took around 3 hours to do so to me this was very bad and eventually i gave up on that game.
So to me and im guessing the vast majority of GW2 players this game and the daily fits my needs perfectly, thankyou

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

GW2 has the best implementation of dailies I’ve seen so far. Unlike all other games, GW2 doesn’t restrict you to a couple of “end game” zones with quests NPCs giving you a couple of quests to do each day so you increase some “reputation”, but allows you to go anywhere in the world and on any of your characters (a level 1 character can finish the daily just as well as a level 80 one).

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Two days ago I decided I was sick and tired of the dailies and therefore would no longer pursue them. Yesterday I played my lowbie mesmer and did not pursue the dailies. And you know how it felt?

It felt like…

FREEDOM!

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Fortuna.7259

Fortuna.7259

Hoops are great. When my trainer asks me to jump through them, I don’t ask how many times. I don’t ask for it to be fun or challenging. I ask what loot I get.

LF2M Max Ascended Only!

Posted by: The Talcmaster.7391

The Talcmaster.7391

I think it would be a good idea to point out that the daily achievements system isn’t really meant to be the equivalent of daily quests a la WoW. That’s more the bonus chests from world bosses (which is more directly built on the quest-equivalent events in GW2). The daily achievement is closer to the Rest Bonus (if my terminology isn’t perfect, forgive me, My WoW knowledge is second hand) as discussed by Extra Credits here which is in this case a form of Anti-poopsocking which you could say is trying to promote regular play over continual play.

People are right, it comes down to implementation, and I think the initial implementation was better than the current one. Initially, they were all generic and sized so that you could manage to get them by wandering through most zones in the course of an hour or two, as a player would be likely to do. The prizes for completing them were good, but nothing that couldn’t be counted as a bonus; even mystic coins could be bought for a reasonable price on the TP.

With the changes to it that introduced laurels and ascended pendants, it became a requirement, since to have the maximum stats (and maximum stats are mentally a requirement due to people’s desires for efficiency and effectiveness) these ascended items became necessary. Since this corresponded to the multiple achievements that include specific regions, it became mentally required to fulfill the daily achievement or permanently fall behind the time gated content.

And you can’t say we aren’t being forced to do them. We aren’t forced to do anything in the real world either if you don’t count the complex systems of reward and punishment that exists for our actions. You can not file taxes, but then you miss out on the money you would get on your return, and risk far more severe penalties for not doing so. You can not do dailies, but then you don’t get your laurels and therefore will be stuck permanently without the maximum stats or other bonuses that can’t be received elsewhere.

The intention of the change was good, since it was trying to coerce people into spreading out into the rest of the game, since that whole “everything is endgame” idea didn’t pan out too well and everybody just gathered in cursed shore where their efforts would be maximized.

The easiest solution to the problem would be to just add alternative ways to getting the pendants and the special infusions that would make the laurels not a requirement. I don’t see it as likely though, since the current trend in the game is to add progressively more time gated stuff.

Fort Aspenwood – [fury], [SAO], [NICE]
Fun on someone else’s schedule is not fun

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

In my situation I love dailies. I work 8-5 all week so when I get home I want to game a little, dailies give me just the right amount of stuff to do to earn something and still have fun. I can’t be on long on the weekdays anyways and its perfect for me. No one is forcing anyone to do a daily, it is completely optional. I have missed plenty of dailies and it doesn’t bother me. If you are at a point where the dailies feel like a job or you feel forced to do the dailies then you sir are addicted and need professional help.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

Posted by: Ision.3207

Ision.3207

In my situation I love dailies. I work 8-5 all week so when I get home I want to game a little, dailies give me just the right amount of stuff to do to earn something and still have fun. I can’t be on long on the weekdays anyways and its perfect for me. No one is forcing anyone to do a daily, it is completely optional. I have missed plenty of dailies and it doesn’t bother me. If you are at a point where the dailies feel like a job or you feel forced to do the dailies then you sir are addicted and need professional help.

I love dailies too, and for many of the same reasons you do.

On the other hand, there is absolutely nothing wrong with adding a weekly “catch-up” as well. Having this option would in no way whatsoever affect the folks that do their dailies (unless they feel that people should not have more options nor be able to “catch up” because they like folks not be able to get laurels due to having real lives – lol).

A weekly option would be great. It deprives no one of anything, and allows folks to keep up with the vertical progression that was added to this game.

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.
We want everyone on an equal power base.”

(edited by Ision.3207)

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

When the option is to spend 30 minutes a day for 30 days to get ascended gear or acquire 250 T6 mats, 50 ectos, a material only avialable in one dungeon, and 24 skill points to get the ascended gear, I’ll take the dailies every time.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Fortuna.7259

Fortuna.7259

When the option is to spend 30 minutes a day for 30 days to get ascended gear or acquire 250 T6 mats, 50 ectos, a material only avialable in one dungeon, and 24 skill points to get the ascended gear, I’ll take the dailies every time.

So, because the give you an even worse option, the bad option is suddenly a good one?

The third option is two declare the other two options a waste of time and refuse to play along.

LF2M Max Ascended Only!