Discussion: Leveling alts - boring?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Hey everyone I would like to bring a topic to mind, being… leveling alts!

There has been a controversy in the WvWvW forum about it being alt-unfriendly, but this is not what I’m going to talk about. What I will talk about is the leveling system and if and why the alt leveling system is boring/good/neutral. I would like to motivate a polite and respectful discussion on this topic aswell, to see what comes out!

My personal opinion on the matter (and why I bring it up):
I have leveled a fair share of characters in this game, 7 level 80s (6 classes, 3 races), and at least 10 characters who made it to level 10-30 but got deleted in the process.
I’m a total altaholic and I LOVE alts. I love playing all the different classes. I love creating unique characters, with unique looks and unique role-playing elements.

Most of my 80s came through crafting, because by the time I managed to get my first 2, I had gotten through nearly all of the PvE content and dynamic events felt like a repetition. Dungeons were hardly possible for me to try on alts either, because they are clearly focused toward level 80 players. WvW resulted in me being stomped by a level 80 that managed to kill me in a few hits. So I had to spend a lot of money on crafting (which I obtained in dungeons with friends mostly). Problem is, I like to play WvW mainly, but then I need to get level 80 on every character, so yes, here I go: farming money for leveling to 80 so I could go into WvW without dying.
Personally the leveling system in GW2 for alts is horrible. The experience rate is slow and the game itself feels dead in most 30-70 zones. The biggest problem however is that the content is limited: after leveling 2 characters to 80 the typical players has completed the whole PvE world, and it become stale after that.

There are a couple of questions on this topic:
- What are the typical alt leveling methods and which one is more viable?
- Are alts a good part of this game and do they make the game more fun for you?
- How do you go about leveling and gearing?
- Would you say leveling alts is fun or boring?
- Did you use crafting to level alts? If yes, how many? Would you do it again?
- Do you think leveling alts should be easier?
- What suggestions do you have to make it better (optionally)?
and so on.

DISCUSS!

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: a t s e.9614

a t s e.9614

I leveled up my warrior in CoF P1 in about 3 days. You can spam CoF1 p1 over and over and swap characters at the end. Smooth and easy . It works with SE P1 aswell, shortest path of the game. If you do it with a zerk party you can easely get 80 in 3 days.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Use scroll to 20, craft to 34, grind labyrinth or other zerg event to 80.

(edited by Kaiyanwan.8521)

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I came from another MMO, so I am biased, but it is so much quicker to level up to the cap in GW2 than it was there it almost doesn’t even count. I did not find that I had been through even half of the PvE world after leveling two characters to 80. I still need to explore some of the higher level zones, in fact.

I do use crafting if I’m feeling stuck or just want to craft. I think cooking is the most dynamic craft to use for this purpose.

I love alts. They work for me because I do not like being stuck in one type of gameplay. I think that some aspects of gearing them up are unnecessarily hard right now (the karma nerf hurt alts, in my opinion), but overall I don’t think the system fails.

I can’t speak to your WvW woes, because that’s not my thing.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Kimyrielle.3826

Kimyrielle.3826

I think if your only goal is to get a character to L80, there are enough different ways to do that to keep it interesting for say 3-4 alts. The personal story is a different story, though, for large portions after the cultural bits will cause serious deja-vu after the first time through. Also doing the world completion will get old, and fast, too.

So I’d say it depends on what your goals other than the sheer level is.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

My thoughts on alts distilled into a quick bite:

Leveling alts = Not fun.

Playing max level alts = Lots of fun.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I have 5 permanent characters and have made countless temporary ones. The levelling process has never bothered me.

I think a big part of that is that I’m primarily a PvE player. I enjoy playing the open-world content and I actually like doing the same parts multiple times because it’s always a bit different each time.

Which also means that levelling doesn’t bother me because I don’t look at it as a process to get out of the way ASAP so I can start playing that character. I start playing the character as soon as I create them and the fact that they’re levelling up is largely coincidental to what I’m doing with them.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Sirendor.1394

Thanks for the responses. The leveling is indeed quicker than in most other MMO’s (I’ve been there), but in most other MMO’s I either had zero maxed characters or only one.

Well level 80 is the main goal for me cause it allows me to play WvW competitively. Personal story and world completion indeed are repetition, but so are dungeons it seems (after playing a year).

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

45 alts, 17 at level 80, working on 18 (10 levels to go). I know there are folks here with at least 20 level 80s. I have always had 3-4 accounts worth of alts in any given MMO I play. Usually because I played 2-3 at time (manually).

Leveling in this game is the most ridiculously easy thing I have ever experienced in an MMO in 13 years outside of the temporary /level 30 in DAoC for imbalanced servers over 9 years ago.

Crafting is the number one way to get to level 80 in approximately 8 hours. I have not used this method to get from 2 to 80. I have used crafting to get multiple levels on some alts. And yes, I’d do it again if I felt like it. (Cooking, Jewel Crafting and Artificer – potions are the crafts I usually pick in that order.)

Personal stories, especially when they are above your level is a good way to get large chunks of exp. Guild runs through story mode dungeons both 5 levels lower up through at level are also good ways to get large chunks of exp. Yes, that means a supportive guild. Alts with speed, a build centered for good dps (not necessarily zerker) doing hearts quickly is also good exp.

For me, making leveling any faster in this game would just cheapen the already easy experience and veer towards meaningless. I know a lot of people may not agree with that.

I have multiple alts mostly for different builds/gear and solo versus specific guild use. (Explorables, Fractals, WvW). And because, as much as I love Asurans, there is still an issue with height / camera and pull back. I’ve learned that tall human height (medium to tall Sylvari) is the most effective camera and jump box size for me.

Yes, some of the leveling is repetitive (how could it not be with this many?) and I will probably stop at 18 unless ANet adds a new race or a new profession (highly unlikely on their end).

PS: I have had 3 WvW characters in the past. I am now concentrating on one (courtesy of the WvW changes.) That to me is more boring than leveling multiple alts. Ditto for Fractals.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Posted by: caiomacos.1694

caiomacos.1694

I basically level up by clearing 100% areas (hearts, PoI, vistas, wps) and doing the events I find on the journey. I usually dont do the personal story missions, because I prefer to do them all at one time. Its probably not the fastest way, but thats basically what I do.

Sure. In fact, thats one of the things I like most, having the opportunity to try different playstyles. Of course, we always have our favorite characters, but its always good to be able to change your gameplay from time to time.

Already explained leveling. Regarding gearing, I just crafted most of the armor and weapons and, in some cases, got the gear via dungeon tokens.

I find it fun because, like I said, I breaks the boredom of using the same skills over and over again. So i Have no problem leveling alts to 80; and after reaching max level its good to have this new set of possibilites to try out.

I believe I only got some levels via crafting on 2 characters. But not many levels.

Im ok with it.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

I am also an altholic. But i think a different kind. I really like being helpfull. But joining on a level 40 personal story with a level 80 full gear alt isnt challenging for me and it isnt helpfull either (I assist in the story but dont want to do all the work). So I try to join on alt that is bout the same level and maybe even need it.

Besides that I dont believe it is or should be a rush to level 80. I want to take my time and enjoy myself.

I also agree that doing the same low level explorer content is a bit boring if you do it too often, so I try to have enough time between the alts so it is all refreshing again.

That is why I only have 4 level 80’s, 4 alts that are somewhere between level 30 and 50 (at the moment) and 1 trash character slot for trying new things or for just plain keyfarming.

So take your time and enjoy the process. Specially if you have a level 80 you can use for dungeons/wvw

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Alts are alot of fun, but after you’ve leveled a few characters it definitely gets boring going through all the old zones again. I think part of it is, so much of your exp comes from hearts, poi’s, etc. that you’ve done a few times already, that it’s just tedious.

GW2 is definitely alt friendly in that if you really WANT to level an alt to 80, there’s several ways to do it quickly. I think for me though, that desire vanished after the 3rd go around. Maybe if they released a true expansion I’d probably start a new player from scratch, but that’s probably it. There’s just too much to do both in game and in life to make it worth the time leveling anymore alts, at least for me.

Posted by: Rooks Zaer.5846

Rooks Zaer.5846

Yes, very boring. I used to think that the dynamic event system and the impact they would have on the world would mean that I’d get an entirely different experience with each character that I leveled. Not even remotely the case.

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

I have 10 more lvls on my necro before I have lvl 80 in all classes and im sad about it. I love alts

Posted by: pdg.8462

pdg.8462

I really like levelling alts. In fact, that’s pretty much all I do. I have yet to run a dungeon and I avoid LS (basically cuz I don’t like it). Two 80s now and one getting very, very close.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’ve leveled 8 to 80 (and deleted two more, one at 51, another at 74). I find that the leveling content is the best part of the game. However, that enjoyment has gradually worn down due to lack of new things to do.

Even so, I find the various zones to be more interesting than the so-called endgame activities, which all involve gathering in a herd and either stomping content under in no time at all or enduring the dreadful slogs that are the scaling events in Orr. Maybe if I were on a different server, that experience might be different, but I haven’t been at an “endgame” group event that hit the sweet spot since January. Also, the particle blur makes the open world endgame the most dreaded endgame activity since arguments over DKP. When I’m comparing something to guild drama, I know I’m not having fun.

Posted by: Sai.5908

Sai.5908

I’m on my third alt and also going for map completion , the only gripe I have in leveling alts is that dyes , skill points , character birthdays , and WvW rank are not account wide .

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

I have a number of alts because the thought of trying new classes was exciting, but in the end that got squashed pretty quickly when I realized that the content, whether low or high level, is simply the same over and over again.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

After leveling 12 Alts (waiting for more content to arrive), i’d say yes its quite boring.

The game is now very Alt unfriendly as well, if i purchased GW2 today, no i would not level any alts.

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

Answer: Yes.

Nothing more needs to be said.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

Posted by: aliksyian.7642

aliksyian.7642

Leveling is kind of boring. You don’t have all your traits or skills, your gear probably sucks, and you’re restricted to level appropriate areas. After you’ve done a few alts it gets really tedious.

I’d propose like an xp boost for each other character you have above the current alt’s level. If if you have a bunch of level 80s, your new character levels much more quickly. With the downscaling system you can still enjoy all the content, so you’re not missing much.

Hide user’s posts on forum with chrome tampermonkey script: http://pastebin.com/aaUQr3pm

Posted by: Silver.3284

Silver.3284

I lvl’ed mine by clearing the lower lvl areas and doing the personal story. It becomes a bit boring after lvl 60, but at that point you can go into WvW and do the rest. Dungeons are fast too (just swap at the end) and following the event/boss trains.

Absolutely. It gives variety and a good knowledge of what other players can do.

Whatever I find as I lvl, dungeon gear once they hit 80. When I know I am not going to play them for a few days I park them at a jp to get some gear from there.

I find 80 lvls is a bit too much. I think lvl-ing is needed so you can get to now the class (I would not have a clue what to do with a lvl 80 engineer if one was just given to me) but that is more or less done by lvl 50 or so.

Not much. I used it on one alt, cause I needed to lvl the crafting anyway. No, I would not pay that much to avoid 7-8 lvls.

I would like to have a scroll that adds 20 lvl, not one that takes you to 20, but only be able to use one at lvl 1 and 1 later on, meaning still have to lvl for 40 lvls (lvl 20 to lvl 60). If you are to learn the class some lvling needs to happen the hard way.

As above. Also, the skill points were a nice addition, because you can unlock skills early and play more with them.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I have 5 mains. They are all as fun to play as each other.

Posted by: logosloki.3958

logosloki.3958

The thing I found about leveling alts in this game is that how boring/fun it is is down to what you do on your main. If you are like me and dabble in dungeons, wvwvw, crafting, personal story, world bosses, champ trains, 100% completion hunts, etc and you don’t mind a slower pace then leveling alts is enjoyable. If you are leveling a new main and only really enjoy certain parts of the game, you’re going to have a not so enjoyable time leveling alts.

The only thing I would like really is if the waypoint system was account bound. There are some times where I want to go to a particular area with an alt, or more precisely get to a dungeon and realise I have to walk entire maps. Just a little niggle really but it would be nice if it were so.

Posted by: yorick.1305

yorick.1305

The thing I found about leveling alts in this game is that how boring/fun it is is down to what you do on your main. If you are like me and dabble in dungeons, wvwvw, crafting, personal story, world bosses, champ trains, 100% completion hunts, etc and you don’t mind a slower pace then leveling alts is enjoyable. If you are leveling a new main and only really enjoy certain parts of the game, you’re going to have a not so enjoyable time leveling alts.

The only thing I would like really is if the waypoint system was account bound. There are some times where I want to go to a particular area with an alt, or more precisely get to a dungeon and realise I have to walk entire maps. Just a little niggle really but it would be nice if it were so.

Acc’ bound WP’s would be awesome, even if it was (only) to the actual level that your character was at.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I really like leveling alts in this game.
I have 3 mains and I am leveling 3 alts in turn now

I think it has to do with how I play.
I see GW2 more as a virtual world- a backdrop for me to do my own thing.
Every character is a distinct person to me and I experience the content differently as a result.
Each have their own favorite parts of the world for example.

I have never crafted to 80- I just have the normal crafts spread around 2 per character but only 4 of them are sitting at 400.
Sort of gave up on crafting after ascended- and I like crafting

I actually really like doing events and exploring the maps and just interacting with the world.
It doesn’t bother me in the slightest that I have been doing it for a year because there is always something you missed- there is a lot going on in the world.

Some people mention that they don’t like exploring maps alone but I really enjoy this too.
I like the feeling of just me and the environment- when you see other players it is nice but it gives a sense of scope if that only happens once in a while- I prefer maps that do not have hordes of people on them.

I enjoy all my characters- I can’t imagine only playing with one

Edit: as for gearing- I am a skin freak so I will go to all lengths to get the perfect look- that can take ages.
When my characters hit 80 I just buy exotic gear with whatever stat set I want for them off the TP and transmute as I find the right look.

Usually I collect/ buy pieces for them on the way to 80 during their travels- so by the time they reach max level I have a nice selection to choose from.
Just recently I bought an exotic axe/warhorn I liked the looks of for my Necro when she was still level 25- she will carry it with her and depending on how I feel when she hits 80 she will either us it of sell it.

Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Morrigan.2809)

Posted by: Arimahn.3568

Arimahn.3568

Use scroll to 20, craft to 34, grind labyrinth or other zerg event to 80.

Pretty much this.

Getting all the important WPs is a pain though.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

I dont know that I’d call leveling alts boring its more that the cap is 20 levels too high . You reach a point in leveling an alt where you just burn out on it and for me its around level 55-60. Once i hit that ive got to swap to something else for a while .

Posted by: Hurrakan.4259

Hurrakan.4259

Yes alts are boring. I only have 1 character with over 2000 hours played.

Posted by: Tankvieh.5796

Tankvieh.5796

i dont really enjoy doing hearts on my alts as i have not even full world completion on my main, and feel like i should rather finish that first before doing hearts on alt.

so when leveling up an alt i usuall just pick easy hearts + events in the starting zones till level 10-15
then i craft 6 profession (everything except weaponsmith + huntsman because they are so expensive) for 42 level, so i am ~ lvl 62-67then
i then start asking on my 2 daily ac runs if i can swithc to alt on the last boss which nets me 1 1/2 easy levels a day
on top i usually complete the easy daily stuff on my alt such as daily collector etc which nets me around another 40% levelup.
that way you can have an alt to 80 in ~1 week without to much hassle,
i usually take a bit more time because sometimes your group is not good enought to finish the boss with 4 ppl or i just cant be bothered with dungeons on that day
after level 70 you can also speed it up a bit by exploring some high level areas where you need waypoints anyway, you can get some easy 1-2 levels that way too.

Posted by: cgnius.8539

cgnius.8539

Yes I agree it is pretty boring. I’ve been using the Labyrinth to lvl my alts

Posted by: Flubble.8093

Flubble.8093

I dont know that I’d call leveling alts boring its more that the cap is 20 levels too high . You reach a point in leveling an alt where you just burn out on it and for me its around level 55-60. Once i hit that ive got to swap to something else for a while .

i get to that point too at 55-60 even if i use the 1-20 boost and craft another 20 levels, theres something about that level range that gets tiring

as soon as you get through it and hit 80 it’s like “FREEDOM!!!” and you jump around your room doing several double fist pumps… or that’s just me :P

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

i get to that point too at 55-60 even if i use the 1-20 boost and craft another 20 levels, theres something about that level range that gets tiring

as soon as you get through it and hit 80 it’s like “FREEDOM!!!” and you jump around your room doing several double fist pumps… or that’s just me :P

I am not going to lie- just short of level 60 is a dead spot for me too.
What I usually do is save my personal story till then and do the whole lot back to back.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Araris.7839

Araris.7839

I have 6 level 80’s and haven’t crafted a single item in the game (despise crafting). So it’s safe to say I love leveling in this game. Just can’t bring myself to level engineer and necro past 45, hate them.

System is much better than quest lines for sure.

Posted by: Arimahn.3568

Arimahn.3568

What I’d like to see to make leveling alts better is the following:

- Option to activate already discovered WPs. If one character has 100% World Completion, I should be able to benefit from that on my alts.

- Boosters that help with ALL experience gain, not just kill-XP.

- Option to ditch the Personal Story because barf. At least a way to deactivate the quest so I won’t see the green marker anymore.

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

I leved up to 80 in WvW under 5 day

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Posted by: evlover.6270

evlover.6270

If you’ve already got a few characters from the start: use lvl 20 scroll, explore all home areas and max chef, should get you to lvl 30-35. Than just rush through the beginner areas and explore your way to 80. Mix it up with personal story/dungs as you like.

They definitely do, I like the different playstyles for each profession. I like to do the open world content using those different builds. That’s why I’ve got world completion with every profession in the first place.

Leveling definitely goes more than fast enough. Just by exploring, you can get to 80 in about 35 hours. If you don’t like exploring, there are enough alternatives like craftings, personal story, dungeons and wvw. Concerning the gear, just use what you get and do a checkup every 20 lvls to keep up to date (like if you’re 40, you’ll probably have 30’ish gear that you’ve got as a drop but if you’d still have shoulders from lvl 21, just buy some lvl 40 shoulders on tp)
I wouldn’t buy new armor between 60-80, just wait till your 80 and buy your final set.

Definitely a lot of fun. I always discover things that I didn’t notice the other times I ran through a certain area.

For my first few chars, I just lvl’d 2 different crafts so I would have all of them available if I’d need them but not really to lvl them. Now I just lvl chef since it takes just 15-20mins to buy everything and lvl it and well, it’s cheap as hell. :-)

No, certainly not. It’s easy enough as it is. People who tell otherwise just don’t know what they’re doing since you can even get world completion in 50 hours. It’s even too easy in my opinion.

Remove exp from dungeons when the character is not in it from the start but keep the other rewards like tokens. (so if you dc, you wouldn’t get exp either but still get the tokens/loot). Remove the exp from crafting disciplines but improve market for finished goods (like a fixed sell value to vendors). Reduce exp from Wvw events but improve it for Wvw player kills.

This would cause more people to have to explore to level —> more people in all the areas —> more co-operation/interaction between people —> even more fun.
More materials would be available which would cause price of them to drop but this would be countered by fixed price of finished goods to vendors. So if prices would drop too low, people will craft to make a profit and prices will automatically go up again to a certain amount, depending on the selling value.
Dungeons wouldn’t really suffer from it since the possibility to give the exp to an alt is more like an “extra benefit” for most people. Main reason to do them are tokens/money.
That would be the ultimate solution to make exploring the areas more attractive/necessary but (un)fortunately, I didn’t design the game. ^^

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

• What are the typical alt leveling methods and which one is more viable?*
    —> Hearts, Dungeons… Hard to see good AC party nowadays though. Tough luck if you’re playing “dungeon underdog” class – like my Necro. Almost insta-kick…
  • Are alts a good part of this game and do they make the game more fun for you?*
    —> They do, but it tends to be repetitive – especially if you have to “discover” areas that are already discovered by your other 80…
  • How do you go about leveling and gearing?*
    —> Greens starting the level when I can wear them, until 79. 80, get Exotics from gold I saved using other 80s…
  • Would you say leveling alts is fun or boring?*
    —> Fun and boring. Fun being having a new toon, boring in a sense that you’ll have to roam around again like what you did on previous 80…
  • Did you use crafting to level alts? If yes, how many? Would you do it again?*
    —> Planning to, since I’m super bored already. I have 4 level 80s, my Necro and Mes more than halfway through… I just need to calculate the costs…
  • Do you think leveling alts should be easier?*
    —> No, it’s already easy. It’s just boring and hassle to re-explore. Imagine trying to get to a place over and over again… -_-
  • What suggestions do you have to make it better (optionally)?*
    —> Just make the map as is as what your previous/first 80 explored. That’s all…

Disclaimer
Yes, I am lazy to explore again and again, kitten me, right? :p

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

levelling any character after level 30 is boring. The extra 50 levels serve no purpose whatsoever other than a pointless grind.

The rest of the zones after 30 could all have been “endgame”, but no, we have 50 levels of underpopulated boring grind for no reason.

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

levelling any character after level 30 is boring. The extra 50 levels serve no purpose whatsoever other than a pointless grind.

The rest of the zones after 30 could all have been “endgame”, but no, we have 50 levels of underpopulated boring grind for no reason.

uhhh… Traits?

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I actually really enjoyed leveling my alts. My goal when I first started playing GW2 was to have a level 80 in each class. After my sixth level 80, I grew bored with the grind.

That really sucked for me because I saved my necro for one of the last two. I saved it because I thought it would be so much fun to play. I like it, but have hated the grind to get it to 80.

Thank goodness for the Labyrinth. I have leveled it from 34 to 54 just playing a little each night and for quite a bit last Saturday. I hope to get it to at least 70 by the time the weekend is over!

My last class is thief so I really don’t care if I get him to 80 at this point or not. I’m not much of a WvWvW person.

Posted by: Axz.8430

Axz.8430

It’s faster to level in GW2 than in other MMO’s I’ve played, but the key difference is that it’s harder to do so on autopilot, which makes it more tedious.

In games such as DAOC you could farm the same mobs for hours at a time but it was bearable because you were always grouped, could largely fight on autopilot (mentally) and there was always conversation to pass the time. In GW2 by comparison you have to pay far more attention (such as to the quest objectives or crafting system) while there generally is no conversation to distract yourself with.

Net effect is that gw2 has a less tedious leveling system for your first character (or two), but a more tedious one for subsequent alts.

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

It would be nice if a scroll could give you +20 levels rather than just the first 20 levels.

Posted by: Anoddhermit.4602

Anoddhermit.4602

I freaking hate leveling. Suggestions to improve/make less painful:

• Better access to mobility stuff at low levels, every class should at least have 25% move speed on a signet, or better yet scrap them all and just increase run speed by 25% across the board. Larger races look wrong running at the default speed anyway.
  • Less annoying XP boosting consumables to worry about trying to keep active, just boost XP across the board instead.
  • More XP for killing mobs in general, I’ve explored the world once and just want to wade my way through blood to 80 just let me get it over with. Most leveling zones are kind of dead so can’t just do group events anymore either. Grinding mobs is mindless but mucking around the map doing zone completion is tedious, I’ll take mindless over it any time.
  • Waypoints and PoIs account wide, dump their XP into zone completion or vistas or something.
  • Character story missions can be “skip to the end”-ed(everything including combat, not just dialogue) if you’re the appropriate level, but for reduced XP.

(edited by Anoddhermit.4602)

Posted by: Anoddhermit.4602

Anoddhermit.4602

uhhh… Traits?

They could’ve just given more traits per level.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Power level via crafting.
You can easily get level 30 with ~15G.
Less if you have already collected everything.

But year, leveling the “regular” way is boring.
I miss GW1. Max level in 3-4 hours.

Posted by: Ash.2175

Ash.2175

I currently have 2 lvl 80s (elementalist and guardian), I’ve got a necro and ranger that are 30s-40s, and a new mesmer.
My alt leveling method: Its true that clearing a zone can be boring so sometimes I watch shows on my 2nd monitor, then when I’m in a more exploratory mood I might go back to those zones and actually take a good look around. I almost always find something that I haven’t seen before even in the areas I’ve already explored. I might try a dynamic event chain that I haven’t seen before or explore caves I stumble across. Also, leveling is also how I learn a class. I like to try new things a little at a time so every 5-10 levels I’ll switch up my utilities/traits and maybe even the weapon and try to increase my experience that way. Even if I could easily kill an enemy by auto attacking I try to kill them in different ways using different skill combos or triggering traits. I’m doing different crafting professions on all of my characters so I’ll do that every 10 levels or so using mostly the materials that I got while leveling.
Difficulty: As for leveling alts being easier, since I can run with alts in most of the game (WvW, zones, LS, dungeons to an extent) I just kinda do what I want on the character I feel like playing and when I log off sometimes I realize I leveled x times and I’m like “huh look at that”. What I’m trying to say is that I don’t exactly feel pressure to get to 80 on the alts, so I don’t care if leveling is easier or not.

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

hmmm the whole game is the end game……
yeah right……….

now where did I heard that ?……

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

lol i dont know about the fist pumps perhaps a sigh of relief that I finely got to 80 though . Once i get my alts to 80 i can play them all day long its just the process of getting there where i burn out on it .

Sirendor.1394

lol i dont know about the fist pumps perhaps a sigh of relief that I finely got to 80 though . Once i get my alts to 80 i can play them all day long its just the process of getting there where i burn out on it .

Yes that seems to be the case with me too. :P