Do Legendary User Impress You?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

EDIT: After some thought I think the general consensus is making the item account bound on creation, allowing it to be shared among several characters but not sellable in TP, or add it as a withdrawable skin (like the Zenith series)

Simple question really, do seeing a person with a legendary make you go like; “Ohhh!”, are you indifferent, or another reaction?

Is there any reputation on getting one?

Would you go for it for the reputation or for the looks?

If it became harder/easier would you appreciate it more/less?

If you do appreciate something from legendaries or its users, what is it?

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

(edited by Fortus.6175)

Fortus.6175

I will start:

I used to get impressed by it, specially Sunrise and Twilight, 11 month into the game I still do, but I have seen so many lately that i guess that feeling wears off a bit.

I dont think there is much reputation to it other than giving you a tittle of; “RNG Blessed Child” since most mats come from extreme luck, same for precursors.

Im going for the looks really, I play staff ele but sadly I dont like the Bifrost rainbow feeling for the most part, at least not as much as compared to Kudzu or the GS series, which personally I feel like the creater gave their all on GS, made TWO of them , each amazing of its own, then gave up on every other skin (’cept Kudzu and Bifrost to an extent) Right Now Im rolling a guardian just to wear Sunrise.

Making it harder or easier wouldnt matter too much to me, been 11 months into making one and even if I were to be given a precursor for free today Im not even half way there to making one, so thats mylong term goal. After all, Im going for the looks really, since I think most people dont care about legendaries that much.

I do apreciate the effects for the GS, also I appreciate the effort of somepeople, someone in my guild has 2 legendary daggers and a sunrise, working on his bifrost as we speak.

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Simple question really, do seeing a person with a legendary make you go like; “Ohhh!”, are you indifferent, or another reaction?

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

EDIT: I just wanna remind everyone…. **** legendaries.

(edited by Zacchary.6183)

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

They can be bought. What is impressive when you know that?

As far as looks and cheesy particle effects.. Not impressive at all, to me.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

Fortus.6175

They can be bought. What is impressive when you know that?

A) buyer has a lot of money ($$) and doesnt mind spending it here, which means he is either
.. i) Rich
.. ii) Pathetic
.. ii) Pathetically rich

B) Buyer has a lot of time in his hands, enough to farm all that gold. If they had the time to put into making that much gold Im sure they could have made the legendary in half that time.

Either way impressive (for good or for bad)

Edit: You dont realize this, but eeryone is buying legendaries (those who are making one) , the only difference is that you are buying it by pieces instead of already done. Most people dont gather all t6 mats, all ectos, get the precursors. The difference is buying convinience. You either buy the flour, eggs, sugar or buy the whole cake.

Legendary SoloQ

(edited by Fortus.6175)

Posted by: Tobbygnome.6793

Tobbygnome.6793

Nothing in this game really impresses me at all, especially Legendaries, i sold the precursor i found without a thought. Don’t mean to sound negative at all, but that’s just my honest opinion, and how the game makes me feel.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

They would if it wasn’t possible to buy Legendaries with real cash. But since it is, and I don’t know that said user didn’t…no.

Which is the very same reason why I don’t have a Legendary, and never will unless ArenaNet make one that’s

1) not completely awfully tacky and
2) impossible to acquire with real money.

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

I like the looks of most legendaries and they are certainly more detailed than the average items.
However, the way the legendary is acquired brings a negative reputation with it (in my opinion).
If i see someone with a legendary I know for sure that they have been grinding/farming, been extremely lucky or bought it with their credit-card. Which are all methods that I cannot give any credit.
Furthermore, the case is often that people who spend so much time farming PvE suck at PvP, so they usually become my first target in WvW unless they’re running bunker-builds.
I give credit where credit is due, and that is not for mindless PvE-farming.

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

No to anything not mentioned here …

I am not making mine to impress anyone. It it just to fill the thing in the login screen and I guess some AP but alcohol is cheaper. The change your stat at any time thing might be useful. Saves a bit of inventory space.

On the other hand I really didn’t like people using legendaries(or rangers with fat bears) while trying to do the Not So Secret JP because the literal crap left by some of them on the ground was distracting.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

From the moment it became clear that you either need to go through a dumb rng system or just buy it off the gtn, instead of doing legendary deeds, it completely invalidated the whole “legendary” feel of it.

Let’s be honest, other than a few 20-30 minute dungeons, there is no endgame here, so instead you can buy legendaries. Not sure if I find that a great game design decision.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

What impresses me:
1) players skill
2) character appearance if the owner has good taste….most of them uses low level skins combinations.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I like Legendaries- they can look really nice.
The moment they went on sale on the TP though they lost all credibility imo.
Especially if the player is dyed abyss/celestial and wears the title golden

Ironically off all the Legendaries, I like the GS the least- especially Twilight.

Sometimes, very seldom, you see a character with a legendary that completes and compliments his look perfectly and those are the best- they also tend to be the least obtrusive.

I am not impressed by them- I probably will never go for one.
If I do go insane and go down that road it will be Kudzu.
I don’t care if it becomes easier or not- since they are on sale on the TP- that is the nail in the coffin as far as I am concerned

Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Morrigan.2809)

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

what impresses me;

1) player skill.

thats it, big shiny legondaries mean nothing to me, i like it dont get me wrong but i stopped being impressed by loot after vanilla WoW raiding, i guess i grew up a tad and went to pvp more than raiding

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I have a legendary…so no it doesn’t impress me. I’m not uber so why should anyone else with a legendary be? lol

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

Do users of these items impress me because they have them? Not really. I think it’s more because I’m numb to idea of seeing them I guess. Rare items in this game and many other games just don’t have that whoa factor for me anymore. Been in this genre way too long to be impressed by such things.

When I see rare items nowadays it’s more of a “would that item look good with a look I’m going for aesthetic wise”.

It really has nothing to do with did that person purchase this item or earned it in any particular way. For this game, I actually think most people work for legendaries. Someone is crafting them for sale, so I know some work is behind them. The user:
1. Built it himself
1) Farmed the gold to buy mats and precursor
2) Bought some gold with real cash to buy mats and precursor
3) Farmed Badges and tokens and completed exploration 100%, Farmed Karma among other things to gain skill points and obby shards.
4) Farmed mats

2. Bought the Legendary outright.
1) Farmed gold for it via events/TP/Dungeons/Drops
2) Bought enough gold to buy it outright (Do not believe too many have done this, because that’s not some cheap endeavor considering gem—→gold conversion that has been pretty level since the lost shores event.

Either way, when I look at it…these items were worked for.

I have 0 legendaries currently even though I’m approaching the mats to cover 3 so far, fine mats wise. Once I actually started making clovers , I found out that process creates mats. I don’t have precursors yet for what I want, but will get them when I get them. In the amount of time that it has taken me to acquire what I have so far, I can totally see why I see more than a few legendaries 11months into the game.

These items are just a rarity grade. Something to work towards for a style you like. If you want to impress anyone beyond yourself, in a video game, maybe your priorities are a bit off. Opinion I know. Everyone doesn’t see it how I see it. I make my character look the way I want to look good for myself. These items may or may not help that, my vision.

The reason I say these items are just a rarity grade is because the majority of these items have no attached lore to them to make what in my mind is a true legendary weapon and/or armor (when armor finally gets here). When that happens, I say go ahead and make them Ultra Rare and unable to be purchased

Posted by: Tribio.8531

Tribio.8531

A player who was blessed by the RNG gods doesn’t necessarily mean he is a good/skilled player.. As Drix mentioned above, the only thing that impress me, is the skill the player shows..
And to be honest, I kind of cackle when I see someone with a legendary: I can only imagine the frustration and gold he/she had to put up just to have some flowers growing on every step they take.. Kitties ^^

The Hatreidis family: Freya / Nina / Demonica / Athena / Faith / Arya / Angie / Sansa
Commander – Jam Death [Jd]
Fissure of Woe

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

I have 4 legendaries but its my armor/dye combination for what ppl send me message every 10 mins:-P

Attachments:

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Posted by: Tamaki Revolution.3548

Tamaki Revolution.3548

Someone with a Legendary doesn’t impress me, not that I’d have a second thought about them, or think less of them for some dumb reason either :P Also a player’s “skill” in a computer game doesn’t impress me. A nice person that knows how to take a joke gets my attention. I’m getting old….

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

No, not at all… I feel sorry for them, all that work for a skin seems borderline scam to me, also i used to think of legendary users as people who bought gold and legendaries off botters and gold farmers..

Posted by: Ahratan.1098

Ahratan.1098

Given that legendaries currently have the same stats as (much cheaper) exotics, I see no point in them. It’s just a skin and I’m not interested in the ‘fashion show’ side of the game.

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

Good looks and good taste are the only things that impress me, ‘time spent’ does not.

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

not really impressed but i do like to see legendaries other than the gs. Like frostfang kudzu, love the dreamer, incinerator, moot. Also im sometimes impressed if people have multiple legendarys but it depends on which legendarys they are.
Also yes legendarys are a skin but they are also a goal which people have. Yes some people spend hours each day just grnding for them but others just take their time its more of a saving achievement then anything

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

the first three to four weeks seeing a legendary was impressive, now its a joke half LA has. Nothing impressive and more generic than anything

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Not really considering I assume most people just farm their way there by doing COF 1 or something…….to me that’s just boring and a short cut.

Having said that I don’t have a legendary myself yet probably due to the fact I have all 8 classes covered on 8 chars and so I play those to clear their maps etc and don’t force myself to just “make gold” or whatever everyone else does once they reach cap on 1 char.

But once I do have any legendaries I want I will be proud of that fact just for myself and don’t give a care in the world if anyone else is impressed or not. After all if I do decide to go for any it’s more for the skin than to impress others. I really don’t know why people bother to get certain skins etc thinking/hoping that they will impress others lol….

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Bezayne.6459

Bezayne.6459

I have a legendary myself (which I didn’t buy), so I know that it is just a long and boring grind to get. Not impressive, especially since they can be bought off the TP.

Posted by: Neve.7134

Neve.7134

Usually, nope. I get impressed more by an armor or some special combo match of skin color, hair, armor too. There you can see the fantasy of the owner, not by a Legendary

Posted by: MattyjRulz.2840

MattyjRulz.2840

I’ve never been impressed by others with legendaries, however having recently finished my trek towards Twilight, I’m happy with myself for having it.

I didn’t work towards my legendary to impress others, I like the looks, the added effects, I know people with 3-5 legendaries as far as I’m concerned there’s little reputation with having one (maybe multiple just to say, that guy has a bajillion legendaries !).

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I wish I had a one.

Posted by: Konrad.9587

Konrad.9587

I got impressed by a legendary weapon only once, someone had Twilight with a Sigil of Luck.

Posted by: Magnetron.5823

Magnetron.5823

Recently i made the Eternity, and 80% of the reaction from people are; Crap legendary, Ugly, Noob, Gold buyer.

I will be impressed when people congrat u with one, instead of insulting.

Born in the Desolation. Die for Desolation.

Posted by: Lani.1429

Lani.1429

I got impressed by a legendary weapon only once, someone had Twilight with a Sigil of Luck.

this comment made my day

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

I was considering putting a Bifrost on my Asura only because it makes me laugh. I can get the same laughs using preview at the trade post when I feel the need. Just can’t take the prospect of using one seriously however.

I respect other players and their choices. Outside of appreciating player skill and appreciating the creativity some players exhibit in both speccing and putting together looks….

… “impressed” is a word I do not associate with online gaming.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: MattyjRulz.2840

MattyjRulz.2840

Recently i made the Eternity, and 80% of the reaction from people are; Crap legendary, Ugly, Noob, Gold buyer.

Yeah I was shocked to have encountered negativity with having a legendary, lol I bet everyone who insulted you is either working towards a legendary, or not willing to put in the effort to work for it. Kinda sad being witness to this toxic attitude, anyway congratz xD

Posted by: Naii.9810

Naii.9810

Not impressed.

/15 chars

Posted by: Levitas.1953

Levitas.1953

Its a skin, and i can be impressed by characters with a good look not by the legendary itself. If they combo it with good armor and dyes, then its nice to see.

edit: the recipe is a joke.

(edited by Levitas.1953)

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

I’d love to make enough monies to buy the gold to get the rest, geez. A couple friends have helped me with some of the mats, otherwise it’s been farming and grinding in the open world. I’m about 2/3 done, precursor included, and I farmed that 600 gold during the southsun event pretty much nonstop. z.z;;;;

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

-Yes
-No
-Yes – Looks
-Easier – Less
-Most on my server don’t brag about it and most on the PUG I ran are not elitist despite having one.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: SupahSpankeh.8452

SupahSpankeh.8452

It’s hilarious.

There’s nothing “legendary” about legendaries except for the stupifying amount of grind required to get one. When I see one, I have a few reactions:

1) Does that person even enjoy GW2? I mean the actual gameplay – I enjoy WvW/instances/etc. far too much to consider taking time out to farm crap.

2) Does that person realise that there are games out there where high polygon weapons with particle effects are available for practially zero time? (TF2 etc)

3) In WvW, they’re the train target for me. Love seeing a legendary, means my zerg has a nice easy target to focus down.

If you have a legendary, that means you didn’t sell it for ~1500g. That shows a serious lack of mental processing. Either that, or you had 1500g spare, which means you’re a trading post trader (thanks for the inflation guys!) or you converted cash to gold, in which case your real life priorities are so kittened there aren’t words for it.

So no, I’m not impressed.

Mad Skullz | 80 Necro | Piken Square

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

I don’t get all that impressed by it, but that’s because I just file them under “oh, look at the pretty stuff”. I mean, I’ll ask people where they got their armor if I like it, or what weapon they’re using (obviously with legendaries it’s easy to know where they “get it” from), but I’m never impressed by where it all came from.

Essentially, we’re playing a game. I might appreciate all the effort that goes into obtaining said legendary, but I’m not going to think anyone is better than me for having it because if I wanted it I could have it too. If you have a legendary, that’s great – I know you worked hard for it. But I don’t get starry eyed about it.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Mmm no, not really.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Levitas.1953

Levitas.1953

It’s hilarious.

There’s nothing “legendary” about legendaries except for the stupifying amount of grind required to get one. When I see one, I have a few reactions:

1) Does that person even enjoy GW2? I mean the actual gameplay – I enjoy WvW/instances/etc. far too much to consider taking time out to farm crap.

2) Does that person realise that there are games out there where high polygon weapons with particle effects are available for practially zero time? (TF2 etc)

3) In WvW, they’re the train target for me. Love seeing a legendary, means my zerg has a nice easy target to focus down.

If you have a legendary, that means you didn’t sell it for ~1500g. That shows a serious lack of mental processing. Either that, or you had 1500g spare, which means you’re a trading post trader (thanks for the inflation guys!) or you converted cash to gold, in which case your real life priorities are so kittened there aren’t words for it.

So no, I’m not impressed.

Or you found two precursors and sold them. You know, mental processing.

Posted by: Timze.7980

Timze.7980

As long as there is only RNG way to accuire pre cursors, I’m only impressed by their luck.

Not the actual legendary…

If you are reading this, you are only waisting your time!
Still reading this? You know there is something better to be done for sure. -.-’’

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

I have 4 legendaries…

And that’s the other thing. Zero precursor drops for me. The RNG blows big, fat, smelly chunks, and is a total disincentive to work on a legendary. I haven’t even started. Why? The odds of me getting a precursor drop are stupid small. Big, big, fail, imo, ArenaNet. Big fail.

And don’t say you’re going to fix it by making them craftable. That should have been the case since launch, for one, and for another, you’re still going to require some stupid amount fairly ridiculously low drop-rate crafting materials…which mean I’m still in the same position as before.

That many are never going to drop for me…and the price on the TP will be astronomical.

No thanks. Not fun. Especially for items that fugly. My characters deserve to look better than that.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Whenever I see someone with Twilight or Sunrise, no. There are so many of those running around, Its like another exotic piece and it is sad because these people crafted these greatswords for probably two reasons: 1. exclusivity…they would be among a few elite to have them, 2. they look cool. #2 still stands, but now everyone has them. Less exclusive.

When I hear some unicorns firing, I cuss outlout because I don’t have my shortbow…spent a long time trying to farm the gold or be lucky with RNG, and I just gave up.

I’ve only seen one incinerator in WvW before. So ya, that is like woah! I’ve seen one or two bolts, and they continue to amaze me. I’ve seen one or two Juggs, and the hammer might have the best effect.

Yah, Id say they continue to make me stop for a second to check them out.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

The only legendary I actually like the look of would be the Incinerator. I find most of them to be way too gaudy looking.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

I have 4 legendaries but its my armor/dye combination for what ppl send me message every 10 mins:-P

So what is your armor and dye combination?

And if you truely have 4 legendaries, and there are those of us with well over 1000 hours into the game and not even a precursor yet (and if we have been actively grinding for the rest of the mats), something is truely wrong. Arenanet is either ignorant that they didn’t see this type of fail coming, or incompetant. That someone who actively seeks the precursor by farming every event he can, 300MF, 1000 hours in, etc etc has not received a precursor, yet someone else can have 4 complete legendaries by now?

Just the fact that they placed gold and RNG into the process of acquiring one is fail enough. Legendary is the journey not your accumulated wealth and with the scavenger hunt/trek, it sounds like they are on the right path. Just very lazy that this enormous aspect of the game was not in at launch, or soon after. Instead, we got ascended gear

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Seezungenschleuder.8319

Seezungenschleuder.8319

They don’t impress me at all. Nothing that people do in video games impresses me. Doctors Without Borders are impressive. Or people which show courage and stand up for others, even it that means they’re risking their own life.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If I see someone with a legendary I like, or one I don’t see often, I’ll sometimes stop and look. I do the same with other skins I like too, or really nice combinations.

I wouldn’t say there’s really any “reputation” to it. I wouldn’t expect anyone to be able to name players on their server with legendaries like some people know good PvPers, commanders or guild leaders but it is an indication that they’ve put a lot of time and/or money (real or in-game) into their character so it’s a fairly safe bet they feel somewhat dedicated to the game.

I want 3 legendaries for my main character and might one day get others for my other characters and for me it’s entirely because I like the way they look. I don’t expect anyone else to care that I’ve got them (although a few ‘grats!’ from my guild when I get it would be nice) and how hard or easy it is won’t affect it. It might affect whether I take the time to get other skins first though. (For example I’m planning to get the Dragon’s Deep longbow to use until I get Kudzu, but if I could get Kudzu in little more than the time it’d take to do 6 or 7 Arah runs I wouldn’t bother.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

Nop, i`ve met alot of them who suck at dungeon and die constantly, so have my friends.

one time theres 3 legendary user in my team, they all died so fast which is unbelievable.

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

Posted by: bpphantom.8243

bpphantom.8243

“Meh.”

Is there any reputation on getting one? [/quote]

Nope.

Neither.

Nyet.

The apparent time/cash that people are willing to sink into the RNG.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman.”