Do you find the Tomes of Knowledge useful?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Key farming not interesting?

Not to me.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

I love getting them.

Makes it easy to re-make ALTs if I want to change their class.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: Allelya.6830

Allelya.6830

Reply to OP, yes I do! Wish I had more!

Delvien – d/d Elementalist – Gates of Madness

Posted by: Moldur.6275

Moldur.6275

Hmm, I love getting them. Once I finish my 8th alt so I have all the classes I’ll use them on new characters to 1)Run through the personal story, 2)Map complete, and finally 3) Cash out the skill points for w/e.

At minimum you get skill points out of them, with a little more effort you get all the level up rewards.

“Once I finish my 8th alt so I have all the classes”
8 alts + 1 main = 9 classes! New class confirmed

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I used to think I had no use for them and they were just piling up in my bank (along with the level 20 scrolls) since levelling is actually something I enjoy, both before and after the NPE (although less so after).

Then I unexpectedly found myself wanting another level 80 as fast as possible and used up all the tomes I had and ended up grinding EOTM to finish levelling.

I can’t see that happening again, but I couldn’t see it happening before, so now my thinking is I’d like to have at least 60 (enough to combine with a scroll for instant level 80) just in case. If I ever get to 250 I’ll use them for key farming.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: The Tee Why.4807

The Tee Why.4807

Very useful, it makes levelling (when you already have like 3 or 5 80’s) a lot less cumbersome knowing you only have to go to about level 60 or 70.

Leader of [iLL] iLLuminatriots. | Gate of Madness

Posted by: Brtiva.9721

Brtiva.9721

They would be useful for my 8th alt but I have no plans to make that, unless trait system is reverted. Luckily had 7 characters to 80 before the trait change.

If they ever revert it, I will make an 8th. The toks would be useful then.

Posted by: LowfatEnvelope.5934

LowfatEnvelope.5934

There’s a few stretches in the leveling process that I don’t particularly enjoy doing on alts, so I’m quite glad they’re there.

L.F.E.

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

I am not an alt person, but have every class to 80 and geared.

I prefer PvP so these things flow like water…

I wish there was another use for them, but I suppose skill points are not…terrible.

The problem with being a player who only plays a few classes as “mains” is that alot of these items feel useless to me after a short period of time (shorter than it would be for an altoholic)

My main has burnt skill points on traits and bloodstone shards already (and I have no intention of going for a legendary) and currently still has (after those purchases):

1,422 Skill Points
397 Tomes of Knowledge
629 Scrolls of Knowledge

Please give me another use for these…or at least let me customize my PvP track to replace the Tomes with something more personalized for me.

:(

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Maybe ANet could consider making tomes/writs/scrolls no longer bound but sellable on the trading post. Obviously some people don’t value them and being able to sell them would allows those who do to get more.

Just a thought.

(I have about 780 scrolls of knowledge I might never use but might be willing to sell)

Posted by: Trevor Bennett

Previous

Trevor Bennett

Gameplay Programmer

Hmm, I love getting them. Once I finish my 8th alt so I have all the classes I’ll use them on new characters to 1)Run through the personal story, 2)Map complete, and finally 3) Cash out the skill points for w/e.

At minimum you get skill points out of them, with a little more effort you get all the level up rewards.

“Once I finish my 8th alt so I have all the classes”
8 alts + 1 main = 9 classes! New class confirmed

:P Nice try, they’re all alts to me.

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

I have 250 tomes of knowledge , 250 skill points, 7 lvl up to 20 scrolls.
16toons ( I think)- 8 at lvl 80 (with all traits unlocked), 8 toons at lvl 21 (to farm silver doubloons for a legendary at those JPs).

They thing which stops me right now insta levelling my other toons – is the new trait system and the horrible silver doubloon drop rate. My main has something like 3000 points for crafting (via mystic forge).

Right now they are flowing like water and I don’t really have much use for them as the PVP tracks are giving them away like crazy.

But hey I have found a use !!!

*Instant revive from downed in PVE *
I think when you level up you insta revive – going to come in handy for learning some solo dungeon runs

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

Posted by: Indie.4129

Indie.4129

We wvw players cry for a trader where we can buy ToK for badges. Most of us dont like the boring pve leveling, dont have the money to lvl with crafting and dont want to punish our world with an upleveled rallybot.

Ironic that the best way to get them is in the game mode that it’s least needed.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

I love tomes. I just finished my 9th level 80, and they were very helpful to the process. Even if I never make another alt, I appreciate having them as skill points (I burn through quite a few skill points).

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

Yes, I love getting them!! Really useful if you have many alts like I do

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

The should be tradable. People who don’t want them can get cash, people who do want them don’t have to grind. Everyone wins.

Posted by: Nova Stiker.8396

Nova Stiker.8396

I’ve had 8 level 80’s for a while now, not to mention 242 Tomes of Knowledge.

Plus, my Elementalist has 700 skill points AND 2 stacks of Scrolls of Knowledge.
So yeah, 1,200 skill points, all traits unlocked and working on my 5th ascended armor set for my alt. I have no use for skill points.

But for us that have 15k+ achievement points, every class maxed and well geared. Using a Tome of Knowledge for a skill point just looks flat out wasteful.

Granted, I am the minority on this factor. As I suggest to everyone to max out every class for those sticking at 4-7 level 80’s. That extra character slot is well worth the money when you can casually max out your alts now.

I’d like the ability to TRADE them for something else.
As a player with over 3,000 hours, this option would be most ideal for me as well as some other players.

An achievement track.

• Get to level 80 on a Warrior.
  • Get to level 80 on a Ranger.
  • Get to level 80 on a Elementalist.
  • Get to level 80 on a Necromancer.
  • Get to level 80 on a Guardian.
  • Get to level 80 on a Mesmer.
  • Get to level 80 on a Engineer.
  • Get to level 80 on a Thief.

[Unlock Reward] Merchant of Knowledge, double click to summon a merchant to exchange Tomes of Knowledge and Experience Scrolls for various items.
(Account Bound)

Allow players to trade Tomes of Knowledge for Laural’s, Celebration Boosters, Kegs of Liquid World Experience, Sharpening Stone Station, Tuning Crystal Station, Maintenance Oil Station, etc. Or how about an armor set to go with it. I miss the magic tatoos from Guild Wars 1. I kinda want my Charr to run around naked.

Gives your hardcore players something to play at.

Or allow Tomes of Knowledge to be sold.

(edited by Nova Stiker.8396)

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Hoard tomes for when they make Tengu playable.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

But even then, I only plan on making ONE Tengu character. (Thief, of course!) I’m coming up to 250 Tomes of Knowledge soon, so that will barely make a dent in my growing stash. :P

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I still don’t have enough to get one character to lvl80, so, yes, they’re still useful to me. I’m glad there’s finally a way ro get more for PvE players …

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Lady what are you talking about?? Where can we get more?

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

please dont make them tradable… people will overprice them and abuse it as a new way of “power” leveling.

You can use it on new chars for key farming
or on a alt
if you are lvl 75 and you only have a few tomes it can be used as a boost to lvl 80 like a finishing rush.

ToK when used on a lvl 80 give you a skill point. Just like that scroll we keep getnig from champ boxes…but nobody seems to be complaining about those now

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

You hoard them for that time in the future when GW2 adds new races or professions and you want to level up quickly.

I like the ToKs too!

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: Duka.5864

Duka.5864

Use them to get skill points which you can trade for eldritch scroll which you use to craft expensive items and earn gold i made 2k gold so far with no effort to farm staff i don’t like……

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

My main has burnt skill points on traits and bloodstone shards already (and I have no intention of going for a legendary) and currently still has (after those purchases):

1,422 Skill Points
397 Tomes of Knowledge
629 Scrolls of Knowledge

Please give me another use for these…or at least let me customize my PvP track to replace the Tomes with something more personalized for me.

:(

You know you can turn that into between 1800-2500 gold right?

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

beside the loggin reward i never ever got one, that’s what you get when they are overly expensive…….and can’t even be traded in the TP…..

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

I only have one alt that is not 80 yet. And shes already 45~ from Tomes. I’ll probably never officially level her. But I’ve leveled all but two characters with the excess tomes I’ve gotten over the past 2~ years.

No idea what I’ll do with them once I max my last character. I guess horde them with everything else on a possibility or new class/race and I bother getting another character slot.

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

I don’t find them helpful in particular.
Then again I leveled all of my profession characters before the new leveling features came.
I could use them for skill points, thus gold somehow, but I already have a few hundred as it is on my main and my favored secondaries.

It really isn’t worth it to me.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Let’s be clear about that. For those of us who don’t have the time, or interest if we’re being honest, to play multiple alts, the tomes of knowledge serve little purpose.

Even the skill points are moot given that criteria.

I have almost 200 scrolls of knowledge as well. Once the monthly achievements, for skill points, disappeared . . . so did my need to hoard and use these items. Like the tomes, the scrolls just occupy a space for the time when they will matter again.

You know there’s a lot of quite pricy items that require 50 skillpoint scrolls right?

Make those items and sell them…

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: velocity.4621

velocity.4621

very useful for me…

Life will be easier if guardian have 25% passive movement speed.

Raavaholic | [MM] Metro Mini Transformers Founder & Leader | SEA |

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

You can convert skill points into gold… if you’re too lazy or don’t need gold, delete them.

Never mind. Just stay poor and out of inventory space.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Bartosz.2013

Bartosz.2013

For me its the best reward :P

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

please dont make them tradable… people will overprice them and abuse it as a new way of “power” leveling.

You can use it on new chars for key farming
or on a alt
if you are lvl 75 and you only have a few tomes it can be used as a boost to lvl 80 like a finishing rush.

ToK when used on a lvl 80 give you a skill point. Just like that scroll we keep getnig from champ boxes…but nobody seems to be complaining about those now

Well making tomes tradeable won’t be that bad. After all, the current way of leveling up really fast is buying up crafting supplies and crafting to 80. I have done it multiple times cause I can’t stand the level grind.

If prices of ToK get “Extremely high” as you suggest, people won’t buy them because crafting will then be cheaper (15g average for 8 levels – chef costs only 5g, jeweling ~10g) and people will just go back to crafting for powerleveling. If that happens, sellers will have their hand forced to sell them cheaper, so they can still profit.

Say, 2g per tome sounds okay… that’s 160g for level 80. A lot people already have plenty of the level 20 scrolls so they’ll only need 60 levels = 120g. Most people do cheap crafts such as chef or jeweling so they get to 35 levels = 70g. I’d buy them immediately.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Astral Projections.7320

You can convert skill points into gold… if you’re too lazy or don’t need gold, delete them.

/shrug. While I’m not rich compared to some (currently 1680 gold), i have enough gold for my expenses and wants. Making spreadsheets to make more gold (which I don’t need) is unappealing. I would rather sell scrolls to those who like spreadsheet video game playing. Then we both are happy.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Q:Do you find the Tomes of Knowledge useful?
A: Nope not at all 1 lvl 80 is more than aceptable.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Renkencen.6127

Renkencen.6127

The used them for three things-
I used them was when there was a level up daily (which no longer exist). I didn’t had much time to played the game on that day especially when that character exp progress was on the left side than right.

I used to use them to level up an up a new created character but thanks to the new level up system, I lost interest in BL chest farming via a new character.

I also used them just to get more skill points to buy stuff from that NPC near the forge.

These days however they are useless for me.

ArchonWing.9480

/shrug. While I’m not rich compared to some (currently 1680 gold), i have enough gold for my expenses and wants. Making spreadsheets to make more gold (which I don’t need) is unappealing. I would rather sell scrolls to those who like spreadsheet video game playing. Then we both are happy.

If you don’t need gold, then most of what drops is useless anyways.

It’s not really something that requires a spreadsheet lol; just google Eldritch scroll. The wiki even has how much the things go for.

It’s simply not the game’s fault. Now, those level 20 scrolls are another issue.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

Astral Projections.7320

It’s not really something that requires a spreadsheet lol; just google Eldritch scroll. The wiki even has how much the things go for.

It’s simply not the game’s fault. Now, those level 20 scrolls are another issue.

Yah. Most of what drops is useless and I didn’t say it was the games fault. Just that I would prefer selling them (like I sell the mats I collect) and playing rather than stand in front of the mystic forge and clicking. Doing something I personally find unappealing just to get gold I don’t really need is not what I play the game for, to each his own you know.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

ArchonWing.9480

Yah. Most of what drops is useless and I didn’t say it was the games fault. Just that I would prefer selling them and playing rather than stand in front of the mystic forge and clicking,

Well, here is a point I can agree with. The mystic forge interface is extremely poor and doesn’t really make it very user friendly especially if you have many skill points. And God help you if you want to make superior siege.

Astral Projections.7320

Yah. Most of what drops is useless and I didn’t say it was the games fault. Just that I would prefer selling them and playing rather than stand in front of the mystic forge and clicking,

Well, here is a point I can agree with. The mystic forge interface is extremely poor and doesn’t really make it very user friendly especially if you have many skill points. And God help you if you want to make superior siege.

If someone is going to make items with eldrich scrolls in order to make gold, I would think they would then need to research that they actually are profitable and which one brings the most profit, which brings you back to spreadsheets.

ArchonWing.9480

To make the most bang for buck, sure, but that applies to selling anything on the tp if you don’t care about that there’s always a few reliable choices (if you just look for say weapons with expensive sigils, for example) is always going to bring in a lot more than it costs.

I don’t care for TPwars myself, but I’ve never had a need to spreadsheet to melt my SPs into something useful.

Astral Projections.7320

To make the most bang for buck, sure, but that applies to selling anything on the tp if you don’t care about that there’s always a few reliable choices (if you just look for say mystic weapons with expensive sigils, for example) is always going to bring in a lot more than it costs.

I don’t care for TPwars myself, but I’ve never had a need to spreadsheet to melt my SPs into something useful.

Well, if anyone is going to make the effort to craft using eldrich scrolls, I would think it an obvious thing to do is research each one to make sure there is a profit rather than choose at random and hope that you make more than you put in. (Again spreadsheets)

ArchonWing.9480

That is correct, but I think you’re overplaying the effort it takes to not lose gold, at least.

Astral Projections.7320

That is correct, but I think you’re overplaying the effort it takes to not lose gold, at least.

Your original point was that those who don’t use skill points to make gold are poor and lazy (both comments that are untrue and negative about how others play).

Just pointing out to you that others play differently and may not enjoy spreadsheet game playing, while not being poor or lazy.

ArchonWing.9480

Your original point was that those who don’t use skill points to make gold are poor and lazy (both comments that are untrue and negative about how others play).

Just pointing out to you that others play differently and may not enjoy spreadsheet game playing, while not being poor or lazy.

I never said people who don’t use points are poor and lazy.

My post is implying that people who find this to be an issue, and are ignoring the blatantly obvious solutions are lazy or at least do not recognize that these things have a use beyond leveling, though I suppose they may not be poor (although I’m not sure who really complains about 2-5 slots being used.). And yes, I am also right about wasting inventory space too.

Anyhow, it’s not just a choice between not using making MF stuff and using spreadsheets for each creation, but whatever. If you want to put in some effort to make some gold, then put it in. [This is why they’re account bound, they are intended to require extra steps as opposed flat out buying them.] If not, just consume/delete them. This isn’t like something such as t7 materials which have very specific uses and overly abundant to the point where it realistically can slow people down and thus cause damage.

Astral Projections.7320

“You can convert skill points into gold… if you’re too lazy or don’t need gold, delete them.
Never mind. Just stay poor and out of inventory space.”

/shrug. I don’t see the part where you imply that this post is only for those who find it an issue. I see a statement that if you don’t convert skillpoints to gold, then….

Maybe if you didn’t use negative words like lazy/poor, implying would be more obvious?

But whatever.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

ArchonWing.9480

> Skill points into gold < Recommended
> Delete them if lazy/don’t need gold/don’t care < For everyone else that doesn’t want to use them

> If you ignore this, and since my workarounds have been stated before in this thread, I have good reason to believe so.

You may suffer consequences of
> being poor (in-game)
> wasting your inventory space

If this doesn’t matter, and you have actually dealt with it then refer to the “don’t need gold/lazy” section.

But yes, those terms were deliberately negative. I see no real disadvantage to actually using the item rather than hoarding them up. (Though even hoarding it up has uses when they introduce new skills and traits. )

FYI, I have several hundred skill points unused between my characters and about 50 of those skill point scrolls in the bank. So it’s not like I’m demanding people to spend hours at the toilet or suffer poverty. But that’s because I recognize the potential of them, and whether or not to take advantage of them is solely at my discretion.

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

Not really. If i use them to level up a character, i still have to buy that character’s traits, despite the fact that i already leveled up five characters.

ArchonWing.9480

That is kind of an issue, though you could still use them to give skill points that are needed for unlocks although scrolls would be preferred. The coin would have to be paid still but I’ve long decried the trait system as pretty bad.

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

They should be tradeable, yes. To those who don’t need them and for those who need them.... I mean why not?!
It’s a win-win,

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|