Don`t Be Greedy

Don`t Be Greedy

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Problem is, the most content that they’ve released fills no purpose. EotM is 24/7 karmatrain at best and Southsun Cove is as redundant as any other PvE map.

And thats the reason why an expansion with 20 maps will also change nothing.
People consume them in 20 hours .. and then say : Give us something new ..

The problem is that many players including me don’t want a level cap with a
new gear grind .. however exactly that is what makes people play all the new maps
in other MMOs with every single character .. because the NEED to do all the quests
there to get to the next level cap .. and then to gear up again.

Here we can say : oh .. those maps are boring and redundant .. because there is no
need to play them .. and even with a new level cap we can still level to 90 or whatever
in Queensdale thanks to the mentoring system.

you ever play guild wars 1? ffxi? both maintained one level cap throughout at least 3 expansions/campaigns.

What makes people do the content? interesting new things to do in interetsing areas, with interesting rewards.

It has been done, it can be done again. If anet is wondering how, they can PM me, i will give them free ideas.

GW1 was NO MMO. FFXwhatever .. asian grinder ?

Played Lineage 2, EQ2, AoC, RoM, Aion, LotRO, RIFT, Champions Online.
EQ2 the longest for over 4,5 years and through 4 expansions.

For the “interesting” things .. yeah didn’t they tried that in Dry Top with the insects ?
I’m still unsure if it makes more people happy or unhappy to implement more of these
RNG type things to force people to play specific content (aka making it “interesting”)

Mostly in the end you look if there is a better farming area in the new zones of the
expansion, and if there is one people change their prefered location to that map.

Oh .. or what also has been done a lot is implement faction grind in every new zone
so you can grind 20 dailies for different factions each day.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

To all players: don`t be greedy. The content you are getting every 6 months is equal to a full expansion in other MMOs. New areas? EOTM, Southsun Cove, Dry Top (and 2 pvp maps) . New features? Wardrobe, Traits, New armors/weapons. New content? this is kinda lacking but still, 1 new dungeon, dungeons paths, fractals, SAB. AND ABOVE ALL, Story wise: we are getting roughly 1-2 hours of story play every 2 weeks, lets do the math, on average we get 1.5 hours SO… 1.5H every 2 weeks on a 6(?) month Season = 18 Hours of story, that is equal to a 60$ worth new Single player RPG story amount, the only difference is that you getting it for free, and you getting it 2-3 times per year. Thats a lot of effort, i my self can be disappointed sometimes with some features that we havent got yet that i think are essential if you want to make your MMO competitive, like Housing, Dueling, more legendaries etc. but we got to think that the Devs are people too and there have limitations on how much they can produce. The only thing that they should probably do from their perspective is become more open to the players and start talking about things on development more often and with honesty.

Oh boy….

It’s one of these threads.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Problem is, the most content that they’ve released fills no purpose. EotM is 24/7 karmatrain at best and Southsun Cove is as redundant as any other PvE map.

new gear grind .. however exactly that is what makes people play all the new maps
in other MMOs with every single character .. because the NEED to do all the quests

Here we can say : oh .. those maps are boring and redundant .. because there is no
need to play them .. and even with a new level cap we can still level to 90 or whatever

you ever play guild wars 1? ffxi? both maintained one level cap throughout at least 3 expansions/campaigns.

What makes people do the content? interesting new things to do in interetsing areas, with interesting rewards.

It has been done, it can be done again. If anet is wondering how, they can PM me, i will give them free ideas.

For the “interesting” things .. yeah didn’t they tried that in Dry Top with the insects ?
I’m still unsure if it makes more people happy or unhappy to implement more of these
RNG type things to force people to play specific content (aka making it “interesting”)

Mostly in the end you look if there is a better farming area in the new zones of the
expansion, and if there is one people change their prefered location to that map.

Oh .. or what also has been done a lot is implement faction grind in every new zone

ffxwhatever as you call it, would probably not fall into the asian grinder category. it had one level cap, and most gear was obtained with less repetion than gw2 currently has, more focused on actually doing specific events/content.

regardless, point is, its not really leveling or statistically more powerful gear that has to drive people to go into new areas.

you dont have to use intense rng to make people play an area.

lets say you made a canthan expansion, with new canthan weapons, new canthan armors, and expanded home instance/guildhall system, new skills/new traits, new weapon skill animations, dungeons, special events. All of these things being in that area is what would drive people to go there. you dont need low drop rate items, or higher level stuff, you just need new interesting things. People who like a game are looking for new reasons to keep playing it, and experience a different flavor.

and, did you play gw1? the only thing not mmo like about it, was that you didnt have a persistent world. The quest systems, item distribution/skills aquisistion/progression would have fit perfectly into a persistent world had they chosen that path.

(edited by phys.7689)

Don`t Be Greedy

Beldin.5498

ffxwhatever as you call it, would probably not fall into the asian grinder category.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Final%20Fantasy%20XI&defid=3330099

This game is the ultimate example of the Asian “roleplaying” mentality. That change is scary and actually presenting a game that simulates roleplaying, is far less impressive, than watching the same asymmetrical outfit wearing clown in an anime movie jump around, pockmarked with menu selections.
Beat the same stupid setup until time ends. Grind, grind and grind to fight a big monster every other month, so you can get gear to grind again for better gear, to grind for better gear, so you can grind for better gear to fight a big monster that takes 18+ hours to kill. Where’d the kittening “role playing” go?

Ok …

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Don`t Be Greedy

phys.7689

ffxwhatever as you call it, would probably not fall into the asian grinder category.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Final%20Fantasy%20XI&defid=3330099

This game is the ultimate example of the Asian “roleplaying” mentality. That change is scary and actually presenting a game that simulates roleplaying, is far less impressive, than watching the same asymmetrical outfit wearing clown in an anime movie jump around, pockmarked with menu selections.
Beat the same stupid setup until time ends. Grind, grind and grind to fight a big monster every other month, so you can get gear to grind again for better gear, to grind for better gear, so you can grind for better gear to fight a big monster that takes 18+ hours to kill. Where’d the kittening “role playing” go?

Ok …

sooo you believe in what urban dictionary says?
If you seriously want to know what the game was actually like i can tell you. It had its flaws, but most of the grind was because people like grinding (they had like 24 jobs, and some people wanted to level them all)

biggest flaws, imo were stale combat (pretty common for mmos of that era) requirement of guilds or large groups for much content ( you couldnt kill almost anything alone for most classes) And a fairly high level competitive pve in the open world(fighting to claim monsters)

some of those improved near the end, but it was largely the same.

Don`t Be Greedy

Beldin.5498

Ok …

No .. that was just the first thing i found when googling for FFXY and “grind”.

However i remember i heared about mobs that needed 30 hours to kill and that
even people in Lineage 2 called that one very grindy. And nobody can tell me
that Lineage 2 was NOT pure grind.

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Are you saying Queen sucks? Eh? That there’s no value in their lyrics? Eh? That they are not one of the foremost, if not the foremost rock band on the 20th century? Eh? That they are not right in what they say in their music? Eh?

I disagree .

Do as the song says. Want it all. Always, about anything and everything.

So regardless of them giving me the stuff or not, I will never stop wanting it, and therefore I will never stop asking about it. That’s part of how feedback works. It’s called reinforcement. If you ever stop asking for something, they may assume is no longer wanted.

Now if you excuse me, I’m under pressure by some friends to rock some guys in WvW, another one is about the bite the dust, and the show must go on.

LOL queen \o/ for sure but got to have perspective too. Constructive criticism is one thing whining and saying nothing is being done is another.

P.S Led Zep FTW!!!

Led Zeppelin > Queen, simple as that

The Monkees pwn them all!

/e sing

Take the last train to Queensdale
And I’ll meet you at the troll cave
We can run on to the bandit
Then waypoint on to the Oakheart
For lots of loot
Oh loot, loot, loot
Oh loot, loot, loot

The table is a fable.

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: luzt.7692

luzt.7692

If only this game had a tradingroute system as in Silkroad Online, every map would be reused and there would be players searching for traders or defending from thieves.. Could stay fully PvE, but that won’t be interesting for long.

But I do agree, updates are coming in slow for the size they are.

Don`t Be Greedy

phys.7689

Ok …

No .. that was just the first thing i found when googling for FFXY and “grind”.

However i remember i heared about mobs that needed 30 hours to kill and that
even people in Lineage 2 called that one very grindy. And nobody can tell me
that Lineage 2 was NOT pure grind.

i dont know if anyone beat absolute virtue legitamately(before they raised the cap), but theory at the time was that there was some mechanic that people didnt understand, not that he required 18 hours.
Its possible that some group tried to beat him for 18 hours straight and failed, but that would be because they didnt figure out his mechanic, and he re healed to full often.

people i know who played lineage and ffxi, said lineage was way more grindy.
you could get from 1 to max level in a couple of weeks a few hours a day in FFXI, and you could do endgame content in standard level 75 gear which was not hard to obtain.
the game was not casual though, how long you took to level, and how hard it was to get good gear was based on learning the game well and having people to play with. You could actually end up losing exp in the game.

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

The only real expansion to the game in 2 years was 2 maps, Fractals, EOTM and PvP maps and we can count those 3 wurms as a new world boss. That’s about it.

So when I press M and see the map… then count the time they need to add 1 map, it concerns me the amount of decades it will take them to complete the whole thing if they ever do. Chances are I’ll never see the maps I’d like to see which lowers my expectations. I’m still waiting for new dungeons, more epic encounters, more world bosses, revamp of existing content but not to increase the damage and make them move some more… revamp them to match what is currently going on! they filled their mouth so much about living stories and how the world changes then why aren’t the new veggie enemies hitting the inside of the dungeons as well? There is a lot of room for improvement in many areas of the game starting with the direction.

But hey! we get cheese looks on the gemstore on monthly basis so I guess that makes some players happy.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

dungeons paths,

It was just one path, not paths. On top of it, the Aetherpath actually removed a previous dungeon path, so really we didn’t gain anything from it. Other than that your list is correct, although I (respectfully) disagree with you.

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: Godzzila.3752

Godzzila.3752

It’s not the amount of content people are complaining about, but the type of content. If Anet came out with 87 dungeons, and nothing else, it wouldn’t excite me and I might complain. I’m very happy with the content provided, but I can understand why people would want content more geared to their own interests.

This!

Also, we are not even remotly close to 1 expansion every 6 months, after 2 years you haven’t got half an expansion in fact.
No new Races / No new Classes / Very rarely a new Map / No new Weapon Types / Very few New Skills / Very few new Mechanics / No new professions / No new dungeons …

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Thought I would have had to come in here and write an essay on here on how wrong the op is, but I guess more than enough posts covered that.

I guess people forgot that even gw1 had expansions that added a lot to the game. A game like Everquest is going on 15 years and 21 expansions. People want new content not just personal story updates, and they’re willing to pay for it.

If they want to continue down this path, fine whatever, just don’t be surprised when the majority of customers who have played other games including gw1, expect more at this point, get more grumpy about it and maybe even eventually leave.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

Even though I just started playing less than 2 months ago

That’s why you’re content, it has nothing to do with unsatisfying lives. I enjoyed this game for nearly 16 months before I started to feel the burn of repetition and dissatisfaction. I got my money’s worth out of the game, but I’d gladly pay for a whole new campaign like they did with GW1.

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

That’s why you’re content, it has nothing to do with unsatisfying lives. I enjoyed this game for nearly 16 months before I started to feel the burn of repetition and dissatisfaction. I got my money’s worth out of the game, but I’d gladly pay for a whole new campaign like they did with GW1.

But some of us are playing 2 years and we’re content as well. It works both ways.

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: pelle ossa.9705

pelle ossa.9705

But some of us are playing 2 years and we’re content as well. It works both ways.

you are so selfish…

Don`t Be Greedy

Vayne.8563

you are so selfish…

I’m selfish because I’m content? Who knew? I’m not asking Anet not to make new dungeons. I’m not asking Anet not to make new PvP types? I’m not asking Anet not to improve WvW? I’m simply pointing out a fact.

On what world is that selfish?

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

you are so selfish…

I’m selfish because I’m content? Who knew? I’m not asking Anet not to make new dungeons. I’m not asking Anet not to make new PvP types? I’m not asking Anet not to improve WvW? I’m simply pointing out a fact.

In the world of sarcasm I’m afraid

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: pelle ossa.9705

pelle ossa.9705

you are so selfish…

it doesn’t matter what i want or what you want , only because you are content , the rest of us are free to criticize anet and the development of this mmo can be base only for you and for ppl who atm are content , because i bet a very few pvpers atm are content.

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

ffxwhatever as you call it, would probably not fall into the asian grinder category. it had one level cap, and most gear was obtained with less repetion than gw2 currently has, more focused on actually doing specific events/content.

regardless, point is, its not really leveling or statistically more powerful gear that has to drive people to go into new areas.

lets say you made a canthan expansion, with new canthan weapons, new canthan armors, and expanded home instance/guildhall system, new skills/new traits, new weapon skill animations, dungeons, special events. All of these things being in that area is what would drive people to go there. you dont need low drop rate items, or higher level stuff, you just need new interesting things. People who like a game are looking for new reasons to keep playing it, and experience a different flavor.

and, did you play gw1? the only thing not mmo like about it, was that you didnt have a persistent world. The quest systems, item distribution/skills aquisistion/progression would have fit perfectly into a persistent world had they chosen that path.

Oh how I do miss the rare monster camping from ffxi… I absolutely hated it at the time , but now find myself wishing for it in other games I played. For all it’s faults, ffxi was actually a pretty fantastic game in terms of complexity and how you went about actually getting certain items of prestige through the use of long epic quest chains that often could not be completed solo. A bit on the fence about the xp grinding parties though since I don’t have nearly the time to devote to games that I used to and the idea of having to wait for a party to level up makes me cringe now, though I will say it truly felt like a mmorpg since kitten near everything you could do in that game required having a party to do it.

Don`t Be Greedy

phys.7689

Oh how I do miss the rare monster camping from ffxi… I absolutely hated it at the time , but now find myself wishing for it in other games I played. For all it’s faults, ffxi was actually a pretty fantastic game in terms of complexity and how you went about actually getting certain items of prestige through the use of long epic quest chains that often could not be completed solo. A bit on the fence about the xp grinding parties though since I don’t have nearly the time to devote to games that I used to and the idea of having to wait for a party to level up makes me cringe now, though I will say it truly felt like a mmorpg since kitten near everything you could do in that game required having a party to do it.

rare monster camping was pretty annoying, but they often had other means of filling any slot, with a comparable, and sometimes better (for some circumstances) item. Even though they had a low drop rate high level boot, you could also use any of say 3 other that you got via doing hard content, or the +1 that required massive money, etc. The main problem was joining large organziations, and the drama that comes with that.

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: dcho.8204

dcho.8204

@Ashen. Hence why I said it “seems”. I don’t know anybody’s struggles, but from what I see on these forums, it “seems” their lives aren’t entirely amazing.

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

@Ashen. Hence why I said it “seems”. I don’t know anybody’s struggles, but from what I see on these forums, it “seems” their lives aren’t entirely amazing.

Seems means you perceive it that way. I get that you were not attempting to make an statement about the objective quality of their lives, but developing preconceptions without knowledge of the subject(s) can lead to serious misunderstandings.

My point is that if you have no knowledge of someone you might not want to prejudge them in that manner. Developing an opinion, a perception, a seeming, of someone life without knowledge of them is a dangerous thing in my opinion.

Regardless, no hard feelings.

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

Fun fact: People feel bored and unsatisfied and are looking for reasons why they’re bored.
They come to the conclusion that there is not enough to do out there in Tyria. “Proving them wrong” wont change their feeling of being bored.

Sure I agree. But saying the devs are lazy and they haven’t released any content isn’t a solution either.

Problem is, the most content that they’ve released fills no purpose. EotM is 24/7 karmatrain at best and Southsun Cove is as redundant as any other PvE map. You go there to kill the Karka Queen, to do guild missions, maybe to do an easy jumping puzzle or to farm some things. That’s it. The only saving grace for Dry Top is that the events grant a new currency that can be currently used. As for wardrobe, megaserver or trait update, those are QoL updates, they don’t expand your way of playing the game. Not to mention that those updates still have flaws.

No content fills purpose. Not really. It’s specific purposes. For example, people have gone to Southsun for a long time to farm powerful blood and armored scales. And of course the Karka Queen. And of course, a guild rush and a guild challenge. And two jumping puzzles, one of which is easy and one of which is more challenging. You have harder creatures there than in Orr and people do go there for that reason. Now you may not personally like it, but you know…some people play in Southsun a lot. Not to mention people farm mats there you can’t get anywhere else. That’s important too. You write things off because you don’t care about them, but that’s not really fair.

As for flaws, everything always has flaws. Marriage has flaws, but I’m still married. Anytime you do anything, some people will complain. I saw people complain about the account wallet. To them it’s flawed, but most people don’t think so.

You can’t say the Wardrobe doesn’t expand how people play the game because for collectors it does. It changed how I play the game, because now I’m going for more skins. It’s a new, additional goal for me.

Vayne…I hate you!!!! Using Logic…and… intelligence on the Internet… rarrggghhhhhh…

don’t you realize what the forums are for??? Entitled whining, and Rage!!!!!

Stop using that…smart…logic, and intelligence thing.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Don`t Be Greedy

Nerelith.7360

To all players: don`t be greedy. The content you are getting every 6 months is equal to a full expansion in other MMOs. New areas? EOTM, Southsun Cove, Dry Top (and 2 pvp maps) . New features? Wardrobe, Traits, New armors/weapons. New content? this is kinda lacking but still, 1 new dungeon, dungeons paths, fractals, SAB. AND ABOVE ALL, Story wise: we are getting roughly 1-2 hours of story play every 2 weeks, lets do the math, on average we get 1.5 hours SO… 1.5H every 2 weeks on a 6(?) month Season = 18 Hours of story, that is equal to a 60$ worth new Single player RPG story amount, the only difference is that you getting it for free, and you getting it 2-3 times per year. Thats a lot of effort, i my self can be disappointed sometimes with some features that we havent got yet that i think are essential if you want to make your MMO competitive, like Housing, Dueling, more legendaries etc. but we got to think that the Devs are people too and there have limitations on how much they can produce. The only thing that they should probably do from their perspective is become more open to the players and start talking about things on development more often and with honesty.

you have low standards
this is what ffxiv gets about every 3 months, NON EXPANSION
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/c96b9e090eb60d1ebd1b89e20e582d59335acd84

this is what = a gw1 campaign
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_Factions

ffxi expansion
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Treasures_of_Aht_Urhgan

btw 18 hours for a single player rpg is really bad, generally they used to aim for 40 hours, but that has increased recently, with stuff like skyrim dark souls, etc.

im not saying they have done nothing, but they are not even close to an expansions worth of content from the expansions i am used to.

That’s just it. The expansions you and I are used to. We used to demand and expect more from publishers. Now it seems we have a Lot of players that do not really understand what an expansion is. Let alone what an expansion is supposed to have.

An expansion expands how we play. It is not Just new maps, new quests, new dungeons.

Most expansions I have played included , new classes, new skills, new Mobs, ….

The closest things that for me qualify as expansion like… are the new trait system, because you can swap out traits on the fly for free, and the wardrobe. which Includes account bound dyes.

Aside from that… I really do not see any new permanent content that is " expansion-like." In 2 years even WoW added more. WoW is better at providing expansions than Gw2. Think about that for a Moment. let it sink in. World of Warcraft….. better.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: Uciupuciu.8647

Uciupuciu.8647

I’m not greedy, I just don’t like that content we are getting now, so it is logic that I want more and better content and I’m willing to pay for it, I don’t want more free content which I don’t like.

The one thing that I can’t understand is that Arena Net prefers to make slowly, low quality content (at least for me) for free intead of make an expansion with more and better content that will cost as much as the game but will provide in summary more entertainment than that we are getting every two weeks now. It’s just beyond my understanding. Is that becouse they are stubborn or what?

And btw. the biggest dissapointment was the promise about game without grind and now if i want make legendary or ascended gear or there is a skin i like i need to grind more than in any other game i played before…

And sorry if my English isn’t perfect, I’m trying to improve it all the time :P

My GW2 Wishes:
Add more weapons
Add the mounts :DD AND MAKE CHARRS LOOKS LIKE THIS

(edited by Uciupuciu.8647)

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

you have low standards
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/c96b9e090eb60d1ebd1b89e20e582d59335acd84

ffxi expansion

btw 18 hours for a single player rpg is really bad, generally they used to aim for 40 hours, but that has increased recently, with stuff like skyrim dark souls, etc.

im not saying they have done nothing, but they are not even close to an expansions worth of content from the expansions i am used to.

That’s just it. The expansions you and I are used to. We used to demand and expect more from publishers. Now it seems we have a Lot of players that do not really understand what an expansion is. Let alone what an expansion is supposed to have.

An expansion expands how we play. It is not Just new maps, new quests, new dungeons.

The closest things that for me qualify as expansion like… are the new trait system, because you can swap out traits on the fly for free, and the wardrobe. which Includes account bound dyes.

Aside from that… I really do not see any new permanent content that is " expansion-like." In 2 years even WoW added more. WoW is better at providing expansions than Gw2. Think about that for a Moment. let it sink in. World of Warcraft….. better.

I agree.

I do think that the living world has the potential to compare reasonably with a traditional MMO expansion, but I do not think it is there yet.

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

That’s the thing. The game is full of potential. The living world is full of potential. But that’s just it: potential. After 2 years we know that there is so much that could be done but ArenaNet is refusing to do it. I don’t think it’s a money problem because they keep releasing (lackluster) content. It’s just not the content we want.

I want to thank ArenaNet for finally showing that they are not willing to do what they need to do. At least I can move on.

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: Uciupuciu.8647

Uciupuciu.8647

That’s the thing. The game is full of potential. The living world is full of potential. But that’s just it: potential. After 2 years we know that there is so much that could be done but ArenaNet is refusing to do it. I don’t think it’s a money problem because they keep releasing (lackluster) content. It’s just not the content we want.

I want to thank ArenaNet for finally showing that they are not willing to do what they need to do. At least I can move on.

It seems that you can read my mind totally agreed. I just can’t stand how they are wasting that potential

My GW2 Wishes:
Add more weapons
Add the mounts :DD AND MAKE CHARRS LOOKS LIKE THIS

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Now compare to some Korean grinders or wow clone. Whenever they release new content people abandon the old content, and grind the new content instead.

Since when old content decay is a good thing ? Making the new content as good to do as the old is a better way than make the old one useless.

Except the new content isn’t as good. All the new content are quickly discarded, or made temporary. Or the reward just isn’t good so people dont’ do it.

People are doing the same thing everyday, they got tired and bored.

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

The content you are getting every 6 months is equal to a full expansion in other MMOs.

Not even close to being true.

I agree, I don’t know what games he’s been playing but an expansion should have 1/3 to 1/2 of it’s original size added. Take for example the 4 chapters of LS 2 we got 3 zones of Dry Top which don’t even add up to half a full standard map like Mount Maelstrom.
However I do understand the size of Dry Top is in direct relation to it’s previous size in GW 1. It’s always been the smallest map in game. Southsun Cove is also half a map. Labyrinthine Cliffs is not even a permanent one so let’s not go there.

(edited by Hybarf Tics.2048)

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: Sogradde.8016

Sogradde.8016

The content you are getting every 6 months is equal to a full expansion in other MMOs.

No it’s not. And I was legitimately disappointed by your lacking usage of buzzwords like “entitled” or “toxic”.

Midnight Mayhem [MM]
Gunnar’s Hold

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: Amphibian Pal Lush.4185

Amphibian Pal Lush.4185

So, about Season 1, I got a guy who I like who can summarize my thoughts about the content we got:

Blade Syphon.4325:

Or they could leave the content there permanent, scrap the entire notion that Living Story = Content must be removed, and give players more things to do than they can shake a stick at.
It’s actually painful at how fast people are to defend Anet’s idea that their Living Story concept of adding temporary content is somehow innovative and, even worst, a good, cool idea.
Yes, sometimes MMO Developers do remove content from the game when they feel it fits the storyline, but never to the extent that Anet does with each passing update. Think about it, if Anet actually left in the content (barring holidays, obviously) instead of constantly removing it, by now we would have had over a dozen new story missions, two full fledged new dungeons, a third mini-dungeon, an additional scalable dungeon with the Queen’s Jubilee, an entirely new meta-game they could have continued to add to with the Queen’s Gauntlet and Super Adventure Box, and an entirely new zone in the form of the Zepyhr Sanctum along with the Challenge Mission it came with. Not to mention the various new PvP modes/Activities they’ve added over the year as well that are no longer in the game.
Instead…we have Fractals of the Mist, WvW changes, a completely dead zone, a handful of rotating activities, and a revamped world boss no one does anymore.
Remind me again why the latter is better than the former?

But now, let’s talk about your post, and dissect it for the misinformed booty that it is.
You do have SOME good points.

• So, we get Southsun Cove, which is a bare and barren wasteland that no one really visits unless it’s for Karka Queen.
  • We FINALLY get Dry Top a year or so later, which actually is a step in the right direction that has a mechanic that’ll HOPEFULLY make it replayable in the future, and once it is complete.
  • We get Edge of the Mists, which is fine, as well; it’s basically a glorified karma train and helps newbies into WvW.

But here’s where you start to falter.

• Two new PvP maps? Yeah, that’s bull. What, Skyhammer and freaking Courtyard? Do you seriously count a map that’s locked behind the Custom Arena Kit and NEVER see unless we cough up the coin?
  • Wardrobe? Sure, and then they took away town clothes, toys, and other cool stuff that people would’ve actually paid for off of the gemstore. In their place, we get outfits, lazy armor copouts that can’t be actual armor because “then they’d have to design them with clipping in mind.” As if THAT’s ever stopped them before. Arena Net messed up, and they know it, because they had to give out tons and tons of gem refunds.
  • Trait system revamp? Because you ALL know how much we wanted this. If I’m leveling a warrior, I now need to go to an area that’s ten levels ahead of me to do an event, JUST to get my adept trait?
  • “But still, one new dungeon?” Which dungeon? You mean the AetherPATH that we got, and the one no one even does anymore?
  • New fractals? WOW, the recycling of content that should’ve been permanently in the game in the first place is now available in FoTM, because you all know how much the majority of players love the poorly constructed Fractals.
  • SAB? Ha ha. You’re funny.
  • Story wise, we’ve been getting a lot of content? You mean our linear campaign of finding out what else Scarlet was responsible for, with lore inaccuracies and TIRING cliches?
  • New skins? You mean the ones that find us running across the same landscapes, grinding the same events, and goldfarming for? Reusing content is not new content, friend. It gives the illusion of it.

It’s not a matter of being greedy. It’s about ANet insisting that every decision they make is a godsend, about how “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it,” about how they rarely admit responsibility for poor decisions or mess ups with mass bannings, about how they do not value consumer input at all.

Arena Net, you play OUR game, the way WE want you to.™

Don`t Be Greedy

Vayne.8563

you have low standards

ffxi expansion

I agree.

I do think that the living world has the potential to compare reasonably with a traditional MMO expansion, but I do not think it is there yet.

Very much this. The last boss fight is a great example of what can be done. That fight is fun.

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: Geikamir.6329

Geikamir.6329

Worst of all is that it seems like they just don’t understand what the players actually want. They keep making the same mistakes. It’s hard to imagine that changing anytime soon, which is unfortunate.

Toons: Foreseer, Geikamir, Rapscallion, Specimen, Scythian, Zeau, Ärtifact, and Replica.

Don`t Be Greedy

Vayne.8563

Worst of all is that it seems like they just don’t understand what the players actually want. They keep making the same mistakes. It’s hard to imagine that changing anytime soon, which is unfortunate.

What players actually want? All players or just players who think like you? Maybe they’re giving some players what they want.

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Not even close to being true.

I agree, I don’t know what games he’s been playing but an expansion should have 1/3 to 1/2 of it’s original size added. Take for example the 4 chapters of LS 2 we got 3 zones of Dry Top which don’t even add up to half a full standard map like Mount Maelstrom.
However I do understand the size of Dry Top is in direct relation to it’s previous size in GW 1. It’s always been the smallest map in game. Southsun Cove is also half a map. Labyrinthine Cliffs is not even a permanent one so let’s not go there.

Nor is it likely to return given current events.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: Geikamir.6329

Geikamir.6329

What players actually want? All players or just players who think like you? Maybe they’re giving some players what they want.

Yeah, I did word that too matter-of-factly.

I mean, I don’t think that they know what players want. I feel I have a very common perception of the game, but I can’t know for sure.

Toons: Foreseer, Geikamir, Rapscallion, Specimen, Scythian, Zeau, Ärtifact, and Replica.

Don`t Be Greedy

Vayne.8563

I mean, I don’t think that they know what players want. I feel I have a very common perception of the game, but I can’t know for sure.

From the look of this update, they’re giving up colored account bound commander tag, which clearly players want, better frame rate in big events, which players want, ways to shut down siege to help defend in WvW which at least some players want, tournaments, which some players want, balance changes (including some stuff at least that players want), mega server fixes for guilds which some players want, dungeon leadership changes which people have been asking for, an improved crafting UI which I want if no one else does, move value for crafters, which crafters at least want….in almost every case when players have come out against something, other players (not just me or so-called “white knights”) have come out in favor of it.

Devata, who’s been pretty negative about many aspects of the game over all posted in the thread on crafting updates and she’s happy with that improvement.

This game has all kinds of players who want all kinds of things. I’m pretty sure most players never post on the forums. I’m pretty sure Anet uses metrics of what people actually do in game to figure out what they need to do next.

Don`t Be Greedy

laokoko.7403

Actually I think it is you who don’t know what you really want.

You should go play other games instead of hoping this game will become what you want.

Sure I hope this game is a B2P version of World of Warcraft. (because quite honestly the pvp and dungeon is just terrible in GW2). And I actually like everything about GW2 except the pvp and dungeon. But instead of hoping GW2 improve and get better dungeon and pvp, it is probably easier to just play other games which have good dungeon and pvp.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: AlphaNeonic.1925

AlphaNeonic.1925

This game has all kinds of players who want all kinds of things. I’m pretty sure most players never post on the forums. I’m pretty sure Anet uses metrics of what people actually do in game to figure out what they need to do next.

Say you have 100 people who love pizza. You don’t have pizza to give them at the moment, so you offer them apples and bread. 70% of the people chose apples over bread. They must love bread. We’ll have bread from now on.

That’s basically what’s going on with the game right now. Their metrics may show every one gobbling up Living Story like it’s their favorite thing ever, but if it’s the only new content available, competing with content that’s 2 years old… it’s not an accurate measure of what players want.

I don’t know why they don’t use the in game survey system that we had in beta. People actually playing the game could give quick surveys on the content they want to see next.

Don`t Be Greedy

laokoko.7403

Say you have 100 people who love pizza. You don’t have pizza to give them at the moment, so you offer them apples and bread. 70% of the people chose apples over bread. They must love bread. We’ll have bread from now on.

That’s basically what’s going on with the game right now. Their metrics may show every one gobbling up Living Story like it’s their favorite thing ever, but if it’s the only new content available, competing with content that’s 2 years old… it’s not an accurate measure of what players want.

I don’t know why they don’t use the in game survey system that we had in beta. People actually playing the game could give quick surveys on the content they want to see next.

well, I think there is a market for everything. Those people who want pizza should go to pizza hut. Those people want bread or apple can stick with whatever Anet is still feeding them.

Maybe Anet chef just isn’t good at making pizza, so instead of competing in the pizza market, they do what they are good at, which is making salad and bread.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Don`t Be Greedy

Nerelith.7360

well, I think there is a market for everything. Those people who want pizza should go to pizza hut. Those people want bread or apple can stick with whatever Anet is still feeding them.

Maybe Anet chef just isn’t good at making pizza, so instead of competing in the pizza market, they do what they are good at, which is making salad and bread.

To stretch the metaphor a bit. I would Not mind ggoing to Pizza Hut for pizza since I know that Anet cannot make good pizza. The problem is….

They don’t have Garlic Bread, they don’t have rye…they don’t have Black Bread, they do Not have Unleavened Bread. They have thite bread.

They only have vinegar and olive oil for the salad, and the salad is …lettuce, tomato… and occasionally, a pickle… and olives.

If you aren’t gonna compete at making Pizza cause your pizza sucks…. you should be good at bread and salads….

But..they aren’t. they are just…so so. The sad part is, they had potential for better bread and salad. But, they seem to be stuck On giving customers…" just enough" to keep them coming back. Sometimes if customers notice… they don’t come back.

Don`t Be Greedy

Vayne.8563

From just about every game I’ve ever played, devs have said that less people do dungeons than fuff about in the open world. Forums are always skewed towards raids and PvP because there’s no real reason for people who fuff about in the open world to post on forums. Did it it occur to you that before there was a living world, no one did it and the devs made the living world because of older metrics?

Don`t Be Greedy

Vayne.8563

To stretch the metaphor a bit. I would Not mind ggoing to Pizza Hut for pizza since I know that Anet cannot make good pizza. The problem is….

They don’t have Garlic Bread, they don’t have rye…they don’t have Black Bread, they do Not have Unleavened Bread. They have thite bread.

They only have vinegar and olive oil for the salad, and the salad is …lettuce, tomato… and occasionally, a pickle… and olives.

If you aren’t gonna compete at making Pizza cause your pizza sucks…. you should be good at bread and salads….

But..they aren’t. they are just…so so. The sad part is, they had potential for better bread and salad. But, they seem to be stuck On giving customers…" just enough" to keep them coming back. Sometimes if customers notice… they don’t come back.

But bread isn’t features people are asking for and calling it bread doesn’t make it easier or faster to create and put into the game.

People think this should have all been done now. Anet should stop everything else and do X. Well that’s not how it works in the real world.

For example, Anet announced for the feature patch they’ve redone stuff to give you higher frame rate in big battles in WvW and at meta events. I think most people want that. That’s one project I don’t want to have people taken off. Those people are now freed up to do something else.

If only it was bread.

Don`t Be Greedy

Nerelith.7360

But bread isn’t features people are asking for and calling it bread doesn’t make it easier or faster to create and put into the game.

People think this should have all been done now. Anet should stop everything else and do X. Well that’s not how it works in the real world.

For example, Anet announced for the feature patch they’ve redone stuff to give you higher frame rate in big battles in WvW and at meta events. I think most people want that. That’s one project I don’t want to have people taken off. Those people are now freed up to do something else.

If only it was bread.

I don’t go to Taco Bell for cakes, I don’t go to Pizza Hut for Lobster and Sirloin.

I don’t want Pizza, I just want more varieties of bread and salad, if that is what Anet says it is good at. If it’s not good at Pizza fine, don’t make pizza. I can go to pizza Hut for pizza. I come to Olive Garden, I expect good and different types of salad, and bread.

Two years post launch, I see a lot of white bread. Where’s the rye???

Don`t Be Greedy

Vayne.8563

If only it was bread.

I don’t go to Taco Bell for cakes, I don’t go to Pizza Hut for Lobster and Sirloin.

I don’t want Pizza, I just want more varieties of bread and salad, if that is what Anet says it is good at. If it’s not good at Pizza fine, don’t make pizza. I can go to pizza Hut for pizza. I come to Olive Garden, I expect good and different types of salad, and bread.

Two years post launch, I see a lot of white bread. Where’s the rye???

The analogy is so tired, I don’t have any real idea what your last line means.

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

To be fair OP, this is ANet we’re talking about.

They delivered a lot more content with less staff in Guild Wars 1.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

Lets not forget GW1 only time was open world was in city hubs. Whenever you left towns it was all private instances makes producing new content a lot easier.

Necromancer Main

Don`t Be Greedy

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Lets not forget GW1 only time was open world was in city hubs. Whenever you left towns it was all private instances makes producing new content a lot easier.

Doesn’t mean it can’t be that way here. It seems like the general reception of the “personal, instanced story” has been much better than LS1 where it was much more “you and one bajillion other heroes of the day stop the bad guy”.

I think it still suffers from lackluster storytelling but it feels like events move because I made them happen instead of me just going with the flow. The Pale Tree was saved because I fought the enemy. The Tower of Nightmares was going to fall regardless of my personal involvement.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…