in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

love it. I hope it stays forever

Downed state's Place in the game

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

As said in an earlier post, I doubt they will remove it completely since we have finishers. sPvP already has an issue with being rewarding, imagine how it would be if you didn’t event get finishers haha.

I think if they keep it, they should remove the rally mechanic off of instanced PvE, sPvP, and WvW. Then put a cap on the amount of rezzers to two or even one only across the game. Thoughts?

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Downed state is on the fence for me, saves me waypoint costs if i survive..

But i think each class should be exactly the same in going down, some classes are impossible to die – Rangers etc, others are stupidly easy to die – Engineers etc…

They should all be the same or not at all..

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

Personally I think the down state is great in tPvP and sPvP.

It brings a level of tactic to the game that would otherwise be lacking. Small group engagements can be very over very quickly in this game, and the rally/down system not only extends fights but makes for a lot of tactical play.

Revive your downed ally or kill the downed enemy for the rally?
Can you get the finisher off before another enemy comes or should you just attack?
Stay on the node or go to finish the enemy quickly?

A good team, with good teammates can turn a 3 allies downed 5v5 situation into a winning fight with not one death. I love how much teamwork it brings to the table in PvP because honestly without it all we have is target calling. Our CCs are so minimal and nearly nothing from one class synergies with another. Even in PvE the most help you can provide your party members is to get them up while they are downed. (or kill a target they were attacking) the best ally heal is revive. Take away downed state and may as well take away the ability to even see your allies in PvE.

Downed isn’t death, I like to think of it as you are just hurt, and rally is a second wind in combat. Sometimes the hero cannot get back up from being hurt and they die, but sometimes (most times in fantasy tales) they just get more focused and determined.

I would however say that I hate that all downed states are not created equal. I main an Ele and a guardian, So I know I (currently) am in the top tier of down states, But I remember a 9 months ago, and before. When Elementalist has the very worst downed state, one slight change later and they now have the very best (or at least near it) There truly is no reason this should happen.

I’ve seen suggestions that the downed state should just be a skill like throw rock, throw dust, kick, and bandage. Even if they chose to keep the visual differences between classes, mechanically all the skills should be the same in down state. There are classes that can move while downed, classes that can disappear completely, classes with more than 1 heal, classes with better interrupts, or heck a class that can just get up and fight. all these differences is what makes the downed state so imbalanced between classes. And why some classes can live for long periods of time and deal a lot of damage while downed and other classes feel they should just give up.

I wont touch downed state in WvW… its insane… that’s all.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

As it currently stands, a downed guardian is as good as a dead guardian.

I assume you mean WvW or sPvP. In PvE it has gotten to the point where I don’t really bother ressing people anymore if they are a guardian because most of the ones I encounter could just get themselves up anyway. Even when surrounded by several enemies.

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

It seems the root of the issues with downed state are born from the following.

1. Up and foremost Balance. I can see why this is a problem.

2. A persons ability to be rezzed (some believe manual rezzing by multi players, #4, and rez skills are a bit too much).

3. Penalty for dieing

So first balancing it out so each class does the same thing for skils while downed could be an option. I find the best downed states center around the persons ability to survive/negate a stomp. Mesmer, thief, ele, guardian, ranger, these all have some sort of ability to survive better through support. The ones who can heal themselves are even higher in terms of being good.

Then put a cap on manual rezzers. Perhaps 1-2 players can rez a person at once. Then take out the rally system.

Finally increase the penalty to your HP pool.

It seems like if they were to do something similar to this it would appease for the most part both crowds. The classes would be balanced, the downed state still in the game, it is harder to zerg rez, and finally helps increase the importance of staying alive.

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

So first balancing it out so each class does the same thing for skils while downed could be an option. I find the best downed states center around the persons ability to survive/negate a stomp. Mesmer, thief, ele, guardian, ranger, these all have some sort of ability to survive better through support. The ones who can heal themselves are even higher in terms of being good.

Then put a cap on manual rezzers. Perhaps 1-2 players can rez a person at once. Then take out the rally system.

Finally increase the penalty to your HP pool.

It seems like if they were to do something similar to this it would appease for the most part both crowds. The classes would be balanced, the downed state still in the game, it is harder to zerg rez, and finally helps increase the importance of staying alive.

Firstly every class now has the ability to interrupt a stomp. They are just not all as good as one another.

Secondly, if you changed all that you may as well take downed state out of the game. It would just be “Pre-Death” in PvP and have all the same problems it currently has in PvE which is where it is problematic. Cant rally? Can only be revived? PvE stack melee teams will still stack and res when a person goes down… PvP will diminish in teamwork.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

I love it. I find it original and “more real” since you are kind of beat down before you are totally death.

A tiny bit more mobility would be nice (like a small roll over, a dodge with half distance, if you are downed in a red circle) since not all classes have skills to move from AoE.

Personal note: I HATE warrior down skills. Specially Vengance (I’d rather have something to save myself than be 100% sure I’ll be dead, no i don’t trait for it).

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I love it. I find it original and “more real” since you are kind of beat down before you are totally death.

A tiny bit more mobility would be nice (like a small roll over, a dodge with half distance, if you are downed in a red circle) since not all classes have skills to move from AoE.

Personal note: I HATE warrior down skills. Specially Vengance (I’d rather have something to save myself than be 100% sure I’ll be dead, no i don’t trait for it).

Well there you have it, the game provides an option but you made your choice to not use that option. Several classes also have traits to increase damage when downed and possibly some additional effect. I would never take any of those traits either but that is mainly because I feel that it is much better to take something that will help be avoid ending up in the downed state.

Unrelated to what you said but someone else mentioned the effectiveness of #4. #4 is not meant to be able to be able to get you up from downed if things are attacking you. It was added because there were situations where people would end up downed but have no enemies around(perhaps you just killed the one and get downed due to conditions) so they would be in no danger but end up dead anyway because there was nothing else they can do.

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

Downed is a good mechanic that currently isn’t explored to its full extent. Probably a common theme throughout GW2 mechanics.

Needs a bit more customization and interaction, though, as well a couple changes to rallying in PvP (a more limited number/range of people rallied off of a player dying, as well as no longer allowing dead NPCs to rally players), but the mechanic itself is fine.

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

Posted by: dcypher.2590

dcypher.2590

it is part of the game and can/should be utilized by any pvp player, it actually adds a new layer of tactics to the fights. I think it mainly is debated at all because “it wasn´t in that other game I played before…”.

Sorry if I seem rash but is this the first game you ever played? Down states have been in first person shooters for more than a decade.

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Personally I love downed. I’ve never heard anyone in game complain about it. Like it or hate it, I doubt it’s going anywhere. Best way to handle it is accept it, and plan for it.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Posted by: Jordy.1570

Jordy.1570

i dont like this kind of game design. imo there is a problem with rng mechanics that wouldnt work without it. if u take a look at other progress mmos there is a difference in the design.
gw2 has a horrible game design when it comes to boss mechanics. a good example is cof path 1 endboss. sometimes u cant do anything because there r crystals everywhere and u get kicked from one side to the other without beeing able to avoid them. its rng that makes it like this. if there is the posibility to get killed without beeing able to do anything against it u would rage if there wouldnt be a downed state.

now the design works like “ok, rng kicked your kitten no problem, we can pick u up and u can still engange the fight” u dont get punished hard by the rng because u can get up easy.

the problem is the hole idea behind the fight mechanic. to change the downed state they need to change the hole idea behind the fight mechanic. even if u r a rly good player u can get killed by the rng fight mechanic from time to time because its a lot rng. if they stick to the rng fight mechanic they arent able to change it.

the fight mechanic needs to be more static to fit into a regular death mechanic. so anet is in need of the downed state due to their idea behind the fight mechanic. wouldnt work without it. and there we r at the discussion about the role mechanic. in order to fix this they also need to change the “everyone can heal” situation. to fix the rng fight mechanic they probably stick to “tank, heal, dd”.

in some ways the game is stuck because of these design decisions. to change anything there is the need of a different class setup. the idea behind the “no tank healer” is a joke anyway. it is maybe possible to play most of the content with any setup. but there has always been the need of a guard in your group. most dungeons r horrible without. so this is inconsequent game design. they say “no healer no tank” but there is the need of a guard that kinda fits into this role….

the idea behind this is ok but now we got the problem that they r stuck with the futur game design. with the situation atm they arent able to release good pve content.

Posted by: Erebos.6741

Erebos.6741

Jordy [+1]

You raise good points!
I don’t have any end-game PvE experience myself, so I don’t know how true this is, but it definitely sounds like poor design

Down-state aims to counterbalance my mistakes; punishing those that outplayed me,
and snares my capability, in fairness of vantage…

Discuss: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/PvP-Down-state-Evaluation/first

Posted by: Erebos.6741

Erebos.6741

Personally I love downed. I’ve never heard anyone in game complain about it.

I hope that’s not your empirical evidence that down state is fine.

To clarify, I never grumble to other people about downed in-game, but that doesn’t mean I don’t like it (as a whole).
Also I’ve seen people whine plenty of times, so what?

Like it or hate it, I doubt it’s going anywhere.

As far as I can tell changes are warranted.
If ArenaNets fails to recognize this, than I’m just disappointed is all.

Best way to handle it is accept it, and plan for it.

Do you mean “handle it” as in strategy advice? Or the associated problems?
Because we’re not talking about strategy here.

Otherwise, the best way to handle problems is to rectify them.

Down-state aims to counterbalance my mistakes; punishing those that outplayed me,
and snares my capability, in fairness of vantage…

Discuss: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/PvP-Down-state-Evaluation/first

Posted by: Necros Stalker.2713

Necros Stalker.2713

Honestly there is nothing wrong with the downed state as a concept. It gives players a chance to hold on a little longer so a team mate can revive them or distract the enemy from your allies. In PvE and to a lesser extent WvW it is a good mechanic. Rallying off of mobs or the enemy you just killed tho is problematic and should be done away with. Its painful to watch someone you worked so hard to down In SPvP get back up just because they tagged another player who was about to die or in WvW when zergs keep rallying and cant die.

Personally Outside open world PvE or Certain dungeons rallying should be done away with or restricted to certain classes as a bonus of that class (I.E Necromancers since coming back to life fits the theme but even here it should be on a 60sec cooldown). Otherwise simply remove it all-together and make it so the down-state just means you can be ressed by teammates faster while giving them cover with your down skills. No rallying off that seed turret or crystal. It just gives you a chance to be ressed quick (Like last stand in Call of duty) This would mean finishers are still meaningful but the issues of people rallying off an ambient in WvW or PvP are gone thus increasing the skill gap and speeding up gameplay. That’s my 2 cents

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Downed state and rally are borrowed directly from First Person Shooter games.

Zero creativity, zero innovation.

A game mechanic that was copied from another game and pasted in an MMO. I’m willing to bet the only testing they did was to make sure it worked. It terms of balance and flow; no testing what so ever; which doesn’t surprise me at all.

Posted by: Sanctus.8350

Sanctus.8350

Battlefield 2 (2005) comes to mind, but I am sure it was used before that.

I would prefer downed state was removed entirely, but. . .

• Remove rally on kill
• Remove the downed state self-heal/res skills and all downed state traits
• Give all classes the same downed state skills, at least in pvp
• Cap the resurrector limit to one player or resurrection rate, while in combat
• Give all classes a button to instantly kill themselves while in downed state

. . .and I would be happy.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

it is part of the game and can/should be utilized by any pvp player, it actually adds a new layer of tactics to the fights. I think it mainly is debated at all because “it wasn´t in that other game I played before…”.

Sorry if I seem rash but is this the first game you ever played? Down states have been in first person shooters for more than a decade.

Nah, more like deliberately missing my point to “prove” me wrong. Insinuating within genre here of cause. Nice try though at mock politeness.

Posted by: dcypher.2590

dcypher.2590

Nah, more like deliberately missing my point to “prove” me wrong. Insinuating within genre here of cause. Nice try though at mock politeness.

I didn’t deliberately miss your point. The down state has been used is many games and is nothing new. That’s like saying the pvp types in this game are completely new and innovative even tho domination style gameplay has been around for years.

But I think I get what you’re saying….you are going to bring old faithful and just pin the problem on wow, right? yea it’s wow’s fault people complain about this mechanic.

Posted by: Sil.4560

Sil.4560

Downed state is fine in PvE, I guess. But I absolutely hate it in competitive play. Removing it from WvW would the first, best step in making it less of a brainless zerg fest. The mechanic as it is favors the side with more numbers, which already has an advantage. There’s nothing more irritating than taking down bad after bad in a group of people only to have their allies rally them time and time again.

Posted by: Carzor Stelatis.9435

Carzor Stelatis.9435

The one problem I have with rallying is that it punishes you for playing better, at least in PvE. Say I’m fighting three monsters. If I only get the first one down to 5% health remaining (ie I do ‘95% of a monster’ in damage) then if I get downed, I get to rally and don’t have to pay death penalty.

If on the other hand I manage to kill the first monster and get the second one to 90% health (ie I do ‘110% of a monster’ in damage), I don’t get to rally and do have to pay death penalty. So I effectively get fined 4s or so for playing better than I did in the first example.

Aside from some classes having few decent downed skills (Ele great, Engi and Warrior not so much), that’s the only real problem I see in the system.

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

The downed state and rally are fine as mechanics. What needs to be looked at are the downed state skills, and the ease of which you can escape after rallying. Basically, all downed skills should be more similar to each other across all professions, and rallying needs to have a short penalty, that prevents you from using all your skills immediately.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Down-state is GW2 unique feature. It won’t go away. And it gives a heroic feeling when you succeed and rally up. It is really innovative feature.
If you don’t want to use it, just let yourself get killed, but let others fight for their survival if they prefer.

Gotta say I did feel pretty heroic when I spammed #1 on that forest animal and rallied up!

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

I don’t mind the downed state too much, but I wish the abilities between classes was more balanced.

On a thief, I basically just have to hope and pray I can burn a monster down faster enough to rally. My other skills barely help at all since players and mobs alike are barely effected by them.

On the other side, my ranger feels pretty invincible when downed because I can just rez my pet and have him heal me through any monster beating on me.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Its a casual friendly feature that minimizes inconveniences.

To the casual, death is often viewed with frustration. After all they’re supposed to be a hero right? How many hero’s do you see die? Death is also an obstacle to their rewards. The reward is why they’re even logged in.

Death makes it take longer to get the reward and that is inconvenient.

As to the reasons why this feature in its current state even exists in a PVP environment is beyond me.

(edited by Calae.1738)

Posted by: Assyrian.4827

Assyrian.4827

One of the worst things that GW2 did hope other future MMOs will not copy it.

Posted by: Skigit.3715

Skigit.3715

Downed is a horrible system in WvW and PvP. Simply put there are only a few things that would make it more “bearable” but I can’t think of anything that would make it actually fun.

The best solution for WvW/PvP imo would be to make healing a downed person interruptible by damage. You shouldn’t be able to run into enemy aoes and just bring your friend up. I’ve lost so many outnumbered fights not because the enemies were better players but because they just ran and rezed eachother every time they went down which happens faster than a finisher. Even if you save all your KBs for when someone goes down chances are 1 person in their group has 1 saved up to use on you whilst trying to finish. Extremely frustrating for people who prefer solo/small group play.

PvE it just encourages stacking which is lame and extremely boring. A game that talks about its action combat and the best tactic is to stand still and hit 1 maybe dodging occasionally depending on the enemy. There are multiple factors to the stacking problem though. Buffs need a longer range

Rallying is also a bunk mechanic. I’m fine with the “kill something and rally” but this is “tag something and rally” So anyone who uses a lot of aoes doesn’t have a lot to fear when downed they are likely to just get up in a sec anyways even though they have no idea what they killed.

In summary downed state is hurting the game IMO I realize the devs are too into the idea to just let it go but at least make it harder to rez people in all game types.

Posted by: Necros Stalker.2713

Necros Stalker.2713

lol who rallies this thread……..Bad Joke I know. In recent days I’ve thought on this issue and I think the answer to this solution is simple. In PvP removing rallying off of kills entirely but keep the downed state and let other players res you. The result should be a faster flowing game with less disruptions that still throw up the occasional surprise.

In WvW and PvE restrict everying associated with the Downed to state to 1 player. No more mass rallies (Except maybe necromancers), no more zergs resing a single downed person. Only 1 player can res off a kill (Last 1 to get the hit is the player who rallies) and Only 1 player unless they have rune of mercy equipped can res at a time. Doing this immeaditly weakens zergballs in WvW, forces people to think about there survival and makes defending possible again. Whilst in PvE it reduces the importance stacking and might allow gear other then Zerker/Assassins/Rampager and the Occasional Knights to shine.

I still believe the downed state is a good concept but in its current form it make what would otherwise be hard content to easy. If Anet implement the fix I suggested they can keep the downed state all the while allowing finishers to retain there place in the game and Of course the gem store.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

The downed state never really felt right to me as it doesn’t model experienced combat well. It makes more sense, to me, to fight normally until you run out of HP, at which point you are dead. Rez skills, not Rally, themselves are fine because in games, unlike IRL, you can always come back from the dead.

Posted by: Sobat.8650

Sobat.8650

Downed is a horrible system in WvW and PvP. Simply put there are only a few things that would make it more “bearable” but I can’t think of anything that would make it actually fun.

The best solution for WvW/PvP imo would be to make healing a downed person interruptible by damage. You shouldn’t be able to run into enemy aoes and just bring your friend up. I’ve lost so many outnumbered fights not because the enemies were better players but because they just ran and rezed eachother every time they went down which happens faster than a finisher. Even if you save all your KBs for when someone goes down chances are 1 person in their group has 1 saved up to use on you whilst trying to finish. Extremely frustrating for people who prefer solo/small group play.

Agreed, resuscitating someone else should follow the same rules as bandage self.
Maybe not the cooldown, but at least stops when taking active damage.

Posted by: Mojo.7986

Mojo.7986

The only down side to the downed state is there is no penalty. This is what has allowed zerker gear to become the standard. Zerker players consider the rest of the player base an extension of their health pool. They drop like flies doing anything that isn’t predictable. But no matter, a few seconds of another players time and they are back up.

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

The downed state place in the game is that it shouldn’t be. The downed state is nothing but a crutch and to be honest it severely damages the synergy between roles. It allows one shot mechanics and ridiculous lazy design to run rampant. No means of offence here, it’s just the way the game feels right now.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

Downed state makes (a little) sense only in PvE.

In PvP is bad.
In WvW is BROKEN AS HELL. – at least in current implementation of calculating ralling.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

in dungeons there is almost no downed state.

In most situation if you ever go downed the same istant you get oneshot by next aoe.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

I see why it exists, but its implementation is just really poor.

For PvE it’s necessary absent of healers. Having players die to every one-shot ability a boss could make would be extremely frustrating. And in PvE it works fine because Rallying can’t be abused to easily.

In PvP and WvW however it is a huge crutch to the larger team and an incredibly unfair snowballing mechanic. Finishers put the finisher at great risk and extremely vulnerable to attacks. Making 1 vs 2 or even 3 vs. 5 much, much harder to win.

In Zergs it basically means you’re immortal unless you over-extent yourself which makes it really hard for a smaller force to succeed against a larger force.

The Rallying mechanic and the general speed of revives just add further insult to injury. I mean in most cases revives are faster than standard finishers, even by just a single person. How much more broken can it be?

I can’t imagine a bigger snowballing mechanic than the current downed-state that favors…..even rewards running with as many people as possible.

But the icing on the cake and imo the biggest offense is that you can rezz dead people in the midst of combat. I mean….no wonder nobody bothers to defend when the zerg kicking in your door is virtually unkillable.

Posted by: Ergi.5201

Ergi.5201

The only thing I would want to change about the downed state is a way to kill yourself off before it ends. It’s really annoying in solo PvE when you get downed and you really don’t have a chance to rally, but the mob(s) hit you so slow it takes forever to die as they interrupt your triage but not much more.

Ring of Fire – EU
Some must fight, so that all may be free.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Well there you have it, the game provides an option but you made your choice to not use that option. Several classes also have traits to increase damage when downed and possibly some additional effect. I would never take any of those traits either but that is mainly because I feel that it is much better to take something that will help be avoid ending up in the downed state.

some classes have skills that makes their downed state more useful. In the warrior’s vengance case, you need 20 points into a very narrowed trait line to make #3 useful at all.

In my case, #3 (since I don’t trait 20 points into that trait line) is as good as an empty square. I only have 3 downed skills, not 4. I don’t see Eles, Rangers, Mesmers, Thiefs, Engies, Guardians or Necros needing to spec to use their #3.

Like i said before, when downed, I want something to survive, not something that will guarantee a 100% chance to be totally dead. Vengance is not bad conceptually, but it should put you down to down state again instead of killing you (give it less duration probably). Something like: For the next 5 seconds or 5 attacks the player is back on its feet seeking revenge. Once either of those conditions occur, the warrior goes down again.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: ElenaDragon.8401

ElenaDragon.8401

As an elementalist, if I’m downed in PvE, I’m dead unless there are other players nearby (or there happens to be a mob with a tiny sliver of health left). Mist Form simply delays that death since mobs don’t deaggro. So it really only helps me in group combat.

Removing the downed state would mean they would have to rebalance the whole game around it, so I’m not in favor of that. I think they just need to better balance the downed state across classes.

Posted by: Khalith.2987

Khalith.2987

I like the downed state in the sense that I don’t die instantly, can still recover if I make a mistake rather than it being the binary situation of “dodge or instant death.” That being said, I don’t like it in pvp, the overly dramatic nonsensical finisher move makes having it entirely pointless.

I am also against it in instanced pve, because if there are mistakes being made people spend most of their time in that downed state while the battles become frantic revive fests while squeezing out what damage you can. I would rather they remove it but only if they severely reduce enemy damage dealt (50% or more!) as compensation without any changes at all to attack speed.

Posted by: slurpey.6014

slurpey.6014

some classes have skills that makes their downed state more useful. In the warrior’s vengance case, you need 20 points into a very narrowed trait line to make #3 useful at all.

In my case, #3 (since I don’t trait 20 points into that trait line) is as good as an empty square. I only have 3 downed skills, not 4. I don’t see Eles, Rangers, Mesmers, Thiefs, Engies, Guardians or Necros needing to spec to use their #3.

Like i said before, when downed, I want something to survive, not something that will guarantee a 100% chance to be totally dead. Vengance is not bad conceptually, but it should put you down to down state again instead of killing you (give it less duration probably). Something like: For the next 5 seconds or 5 attacks the player is back on its feet seeking revenge. Once either of those conditions occur, the warrior goes down again.

Agreed. It’s not the downed state itself that’s annoying (pve wise) it’s the skills for some classes that goes with it. Especially when it affects other players. I don’t care how many times the warrior goes down and gets himself back up due to vengeance but if it starts effecting me, because some player thinks it’s funny or can’t read his or her own skill description then it becomes a problem.

Posted by: viennapleads.1784

viennapleads.1784

I don’t even like it in normal pve content. It’s a bad idea and because it’s part of the combat system as it is, you’re expected to go down. Not very heroic and for me a mechanic I could’ve done without.

What’s not heroic about it? You’re clutching at life by your teeth, fighting back with everything you have until you finally prevail and are able to rise again!

Or you’re not strong enough and you die to fight another day.

Posted by: Laeir.5197

Laeir.5197

I think the Downed State is fine for a game with no dedicated healers, however I think that the Rally mechanic should be disabled on WvW maps. This would solve some of the grouping issues we have when more experienced players don’t want up-leveled or under-equipped players fighting along side them.

Posted by: nopoet.2960

nopoet.2960

I like the downed state but I agree that it could use some tweaks
Perhaps:
1. One kill means one rally
2. Limit the number of people that can rez a person while in combat to two or diminishing returns
3. Give certain pve enemies a finisher

Also like the idea of enemies having a downstate in pve ie Scarlett invasion.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Yea, rallying is the real problem. Fits in PvE for casuals but in PvP it really becomes quite enraging. We are both seemingly crippled on the ground, struggling to survive, life draining from our bodies, blood is oh god blood is everywhere, just a sliver of HP left on both of us, the end is close, I feel so cold, grandma is that y— WOW I feel great! I’m back on my feet dodging around, healing, busting out some moves, this is amazing!

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Overall, as most people here, I like the rally mechanic in the game. The only adjustments I would make to it is in WvW for mob tagging, and in PvP / WvW to make it harder for whole groups to rally of off rally bait.

Or rather, reduce the effects rally bait has on organized groups.

Thats it really. rest of it is fine “as is”

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

As a mechanic it encourages zerging over skill. It’s also completely unbalanced to the point of being a joke. If you get downed as a necromancer there isn’t really anything you can do to get back up on your feet. You’ve got one lousy fear and that’s it. The same applies to engineers.

Personally I’d like to see it be reshaped so that a downed player is incapable of using any skills and will simply bleed out unless other players pick him up. You should also only be allowed one down and simply die on the next. And upon getting rallied you should suffer some form of penalty.

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Well, I would leave it alone in PvE, in WvW I would make 4 changes to it:

1. Do not cleanse conditions on being downed, let them tick.
2. Allow only 1 person to rally per death of an opponent instead of whatever number it is currently.
3. Do not allow rally of off mobs, unless its a Guard / Lord / Supervisor, and even then this would be subject to point #2.
4. balance some of the profession rally skills a bit better and downed traits better so that people who invest trait points into it at cost of other traits will actually be able to get back up significantly easier.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Its got a place in PvE, because simply our characters are rather fragile and the difficulty of a lot of content would be absolutely ridiculous without the ability to resurrect due to the length of a lot of boss fights.

Posted by: Exosferatu.2961

Exosferatu.2961

I was strolling across Gendarran Fields. Across the bridge there was an asura lying on the ground, struggling against a moa. I rushed in and swung my greatsword at the nape of it. The asura stood up and ran north towards Ascalon Settlement. The asura did not thank me yet I felt heroic.