Download Size/Time Question

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: cybel.9538

cybel.9538

Excited to start playing the game but I was a little disappointed that there isn’t an ‘estimated time remaining’. I was also disappointed in that the launcher doesn’t tell you how many gigs of information are remaining it only tells you how many files are remaining.

Can anyone tell me how many gigs of information/MB’s of information there is total to be downloaded? (Given that I just installed the game today.)

I have a slow connection and it’s only 10% done (771 MB downloaded.) I wanted to try and estimate how long the download would take but that would require me knowing how many MB there are remaining.

Any insight?

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

My GW2 folder is about 15.3 GB, if that’s what you’re asking. Are you patching from an otherwise completed install, or starting from scratch?

The percentage is based on the number of files remaining, and has nothing to do with the size of the data. For example, if there are only two files and one of them is 500 GB, and the other is 1 MB, regardless of whichever one finishes first the patcher will tell you you’re 50% complete because you have one of the two files.

(edited by Edge.4180)

Posted by: cybel.9538

cybel.9538

Yeah I just noticed that Edge – I was timing the percentages since my download rate is staying at a constant yet the percent download time was not staying consistent I realized that the percent completed was not the percentage of data downloaded but the percentage of files successfully downloaded. (14-15% only took 4 minutes where as 15-16 percent took 15 minutes due to larger files but my download rate remained consistent.)

That’s even more frustrating that I can’t gauge an estimated time remaining on my own. — I am patching from an otherwise completed install from the retail disc.

I suppose I should put in a suggestion to include an ‘estimated time remaining’ feature on the launcher for new/future players. It’s nice to be able to know that you can listen to music and expect the download to complete in two hours… or if you should do something else with your waking hours and run it while you sleep because it will take 11 hours.

As it stands – at 17% of the files downloaded averaging at 10 minutes per 1,000 files it will take about 11 hours to finish. Though if the rest of the files only take let’s say.. one minute per thousand files (Small files) it will only take just over an hour.) So, here’s to betting on how long it’ll take lol

(edited by cybel.9538)

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

There have been so many updates since the retail disc was released.. I’m not sure anyone can accurately estimate how big the patch to get your client current will be (short of hearing from someone in the same boat as you who just happened to finish in the last few days). We’ve had several gigs of downloads since then, but who knows how much of it is overlap with the file structure they’re using.

Posted by: kingeminem.7684

kingeminem.7684

Hi,

I just downloaded the GW2 – Took me to download pre-instal ( that is not the main component ) 10 minutes.

The whole 18gb file ( 280.000 files or so ) Took a stunning 2H20 minutes to complete at a rate between 2.5-3.5MB/S

Too bad i am not in one of those city’s where the internet GB connection is ( 18 seconds to download that game.. that would be insane!

( i know this is an old topic ) But it is for update purposes so that the new people like me ( next ones ) Will know what to expect. If you have about 5mb/s you can expect the game to finish downloading in about 1h:45m so the best thing is lunch it early in the morning so you dont have to worry about it

Posted by: Culdraca.9310

Culdraca.9310

Thx Kingeminem been looking for an answer to this, busy waiting for my download to finish….

Happy to c peeps sharing what they know just to help the next guy.

So thx again for taking the trouble.

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

its in files bro ye but u cant be disapointed for something trivial as this just cuz what will mean if it show u in gig’s when u still gona wait the same amount of time

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

btw welcome to gw 2 i hope u enjoy it as i

Posted by: TornadoPixel.9731

TornadoPixel.9731

I just downloaded the game as well and I sat through 8 hours of download time, now I have a great internet and everything always comes in smooth, but what bothers me is that it takes so long. With an average of 500-900 MB per sec I’m starting to wonder how big this game is!

Posted by: Ultimate is Nap.5879

Ultimate is Nap.5879

Hi,

I am downloading the game right now as well, and it is a bit frustrating. My internet is usually not that bad, but I come up to about 400kb per sec….
I also have not that much time and on top of that I can’t have my computer run through the night. So basically I spent now already about 3.5 – 4 hours and I have “just” downloaded about 6gb of data…. and I am staring at the figure telling me that I still have over 200.000 files coming my way!

Maybe in 2014 I will be able to start playing.

Is there any good tip on how to speed things up?

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Not really, unfortunately. Also the number of files is not a real indication of how much you have left to download. It’s just what it says, number of files left and they can range in size from 0k to much larger.

That being said you’re probably looking at a 18-19gb total download. My Gw2 folder is 19gb right now.

And this thread is kind of old.

Posted by: Jodh.1304

Jodh.1304

Compared to you guys, my internet speed is pathetic at 80kbps and I am downloading the whole game as I could not find a hard copy anywhere. I think it will take me 3 days to download the whole thing. Its already been 1 day and I am at 5GB. Hah but it will be worth the waiting I think.

Posted by: shakenbake.4280

shakenbake.4280

safe to assume this isn’t “optimized” like the WOW downloader? Where you can play long before all data/files are downloaded and it continues while you play?

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Lol I’m at 250kb/s here. Took me 2 nights to download it at the time. ;P

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: TheHDChicken.6037

TheHDChicken.6037

Ohh dear I don’t think I’ll get to play it this week then im running on an average of 90kb/s and 289,000 files to download :/.

Bought it from the retailer in hopes to avoid massive downloads wasn’t expecting this much patching though lol

Posted by: madsci.8325

madsci.8325

When you buy Guild Wars 2 you are paying for the account. It is SO much easier and faster if you copy a friend’s data files onto a 32 or 64 Gb flash drive and then copy it onto your computer.
If you want to do it this way, just download the GW2 client (about 162kb), run it and set up your account. Then exit, copy the Gw2.dat and Gw2.exe files from your friend over the ones that were installed. This might save you hours (especially if your friend has high level characters and been to much of the GW2 map).
Normal GW2 play (from what I have experienced and heard others saying) uses about 20Mb of data per hour of play after you have it installed. You are more likely to be “video card limited” than bandwidth limited. Keep in mind every time you visit a map area you haven’t been to before, the data file is updated.
If you don’t have a friend who has GW2, you will have to do it the hard way. However – promote it to your friends, and BE the one they can come to for the files :-). Once you’ve played it, every other game will not even come close.

Posted by: achila.9213

achila.9213

Hi can anyone post an update on the size of the GW2 download? im trying to download it, but like the host of this topic i have a limit on my data of 35GB and 15GB off peak. and im about to be the first of my friends to get this game so i will have to get a fresh download. thanks to he who can give me this information in advance.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

I believe it’s still somewhere between 20 and 25gb so you should be safe.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Hi can anyone post an update on the size of the GW2 download? im trying to download it, but like the host of this topic i have a limit on my data of 35GB and 15GB off peak. and im about to be the first of my friends to get this game so i will have to get a fresh download. thanks to he who can give me this information in advance.

My whole gw2 directory takes currently 19.2 Gb of space. It is possible that a fresh download will be a bit smaller (as i may have some redundant/obsolete data that is no longer used), but that should be a good estimate.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: TheMightyHelix.7196

TheMightyHelix.7196

Hi, I’m a new player, and I am aware that this is an old topic, but I’m posting my reply here to help anyone that starts the game after I do.

I just downloaded the game and it took me about three hours to download. The majority of my download was in the 1-2.5 mb/s area. It is a relatively quick download by my previous experience with MMOs like Terra, which took me near seven hours.

Hope this helps someone!

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

Just thought I’d update this thread for anyone curious. My download folder is just shy of 22GB. Depending on your download speed (which you can check at http://www.speedtest.net/ ), it may take a few hours to possibly a few days (that bad Aussie interwebs we have >.< )

Hope this helps

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

Posted by: Levelord.5746

Levelord.5746

Holy thread necro, Batman!

Posted by: SmallAvenger.2354

SmallAvenger.2354

Thanks for the update! I’m on a business trip and currently using hotel internet. I can’t believe i’m saying this, but I’ve never missed my xfinity\comcast connection so much. i’m getting around ~200\250 kBps…it’s been almost 24 hours and I’m still not done yet (15.5GB). Hotel internet, even the upgraded paid option, is flat out awful. At least I know I’m looking at about 22GB.

Posted by: Behold The Esoteric.2817

Behold The Esoteric.2817

A friend of mine got this for me during the sale and I’m installing now; I have been since last night and I’m only now at 22%/11.67 gigs with 235,532 files remaining out of the starting 303,660 files. I have horrible net here and I’m getting DL speeds of between 30KB/sec to 200+KB/sec. :/ Does anyone know if this lets you play before all the files are done DLing like GW1 did and WoW does? It would suck to wait for the full 22 gigs!

Waiting for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and Bloodborne!

Posted by: Ixxxie.6928

Ixxxie.6928

@ Behold The Esoteric

I’m afraid you have to wait for the full 22GB.

I’ve currently downloaded 14GB and I too have the same internet speed more or less. It’s taken me so far more or less 36 hours.

Slow internet sucks.

Behold The Esoteric.2817

@ Behold The Esoteric

I’m afraid you have to wait for the full 22GB.

I’ve currently downloaded 14GB and I too have the same internet speed more or less. It’s taken me so far more or less 36 hours.

Slow internet sucks.

Haha, I know, right?! DOWN WITH CRAPPY NET!!! Grabs pitchfork Yay, I’m not the only one with a horrible net connection and speed!

Behold The Esoteric.2817

OK, so, here’s another question: My Guild Wars 2 .DAT file says it’s currently at 12.3 gigs, but the installer screen says I’m slightly over 20 gigs. Why is this? What’s the huge size difference for?

Ixxxie.6928

OK, so, here’s another question: My Guild Wars 2 .DAT file says it’s currently at 12.3 gigs, but the installer screen says I’m slightly over 20 gigs. Why is this? What’s the huge size difference for?

I have the same “issue”. Installer is at 16GB, but my GW2.DAT file says 10.5GB.

I have no clue as to why. But, I see just over 160 000 files still to download. Sigh.

Posted by: Maytag.7893

Maytag.7893

You have to wait for all the files to download. You will download additional files while you are playing, and when you enter new parts of the map

Posted by: Smiles.5328

Smiles.5328

So my question is how big is the download total? i have 23gigs left in my monthly cap and would hate to go over because I have a stunning rate at 10$ a gig overage.

Posted by: Harukahime.4576

Harukahime.4576

I started my download 2 hours ago. Had problems pulling up the Launcher. Currently at 0% and 886 MB. I guess it is a good thing that I got a new Pokemon game for my birthday >>

Posted by: Ganymede Jove.4519

Ganymede Jove.4519

Glad to see others are surprised at the size of install..

for reference, I’m at 6% after about 20 minutes, with 1.8GB installed, apparently.

Considering files can greatly differ in size, its kind of hard to tell, but I’m calculating the rates every now and then and it works out to be 20-30 GB?

My apartment only has a 50Gb cap and yeah – crazy fees for going above that. Hah.

Posted by: synthyourlife.8174

synthyourlife.8174

I have to say that most of you are soooo lucky but you don’t know!
Try to download this massive game with a non constant 100kb/s (yes). Seriously, my pc has been working on this for at least 4-5 days, this last 3 days without resting a single minute. And you know what? I still have like more than 150.000 files to go!

I restart the download two times a day (before going to work and before heading to bed) just to make sure I can “keep” these precious files safe cause, in this country, electricity is often gone, sometimes even for hours.
Fortunately that hasn’t happened this days, but I feel I’m tempting my luck xD

Ixxxie.6928

Try to download this massive game with a non constant 100kb/s (yes). Seriously, my pc has been working on this for at least 4-5 days, this last 3 days without resting a single minute. And you know what? I still have like more than 150.000 files to go!

I restart the download two times a day (before going to work and before heading to bed) just to make sure I can “keep” these precious files safe cause, in this country, electricity is often gone, sometimes even for hours.

I’ve also been downloading for like a week now. – I can only leave my laptop over night since I need it at work. So, that has really been horrible! 60 0000 files to go. Fingers crossed its done by Saturday morning.

As for the electricity issue, do you mean South Africa? XD

Posted by: synthyourlife.8174

synthyourlife.8174

I’ve also been downloading for like a week now. – I can only leave my laptop over night since I need it at work. So, that has really been horrible! 60 0000 files to go. Fingers crossed its done by Saturday morning.

As for the electricity issue, do you mean South Africa? XD

South America, which is even more surprising to me xD
There are some countries here that still lives without basic needs, and the governments prefers to invest in other “luxury things” instead of base infrastructures. It’s kind of sad to have very rich people or very poor people, no medium class at all. And only the fist ones counts.

Ixxxie.6928

For those interested… Upon finishing downloading GW2, my GW.dat file size was 19.6GB.

Posted by: BiggyBoss.9085

BiggyBoss.9085

It’s took me 6 hours for 99% and 1 file left!!!!!!!
BUT IT’S 99% FOR 2 HOURS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
T_T

Attachments:

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Before they got 4G, a few months ago, in my area I had 3G or 2G (yikes). To download this game at launch took me a solid 3 days of continuous non stop downloading. To download it last month when I had to get another computer (multiple broken keys on my cheap, crappy laptop), because of fees I had to wait a couple of weeks till the end of the billing cycle, download till I reached cap, stop, wait for new billing cycle to start then finish downloading. Then I had to carefully ration out the rest of my internet use for that month. So, I can definitely say I feel your pain.

Posted by: MarkusAeons.6130

MarkusAeons.6130

I have been reading this forum and wow it seems like im not the only person who is feeling the wrath of deathly slow internet. I just got the game about 10 hours ago and have been going at the steady rate of 5kbps-40kbps and havent even reached 1% yet. and i have had to re-start installation due to the “limited” problem with the service. i just got through my first 1000 files and thought mabey if i ask is there any way to speed this up?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I think if someone else has the game on their computer you can copy it with something like a flash drive and transfer it that way. I have no idea how long that would take though, not being very computer literate.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I think if someone else has the game on their computer you can copy it with something like a flash drive and transfer it that way. I have no idea how long that would take though, not being very computer literate.

I am copying from one drive to another right now. According to the windows explorer dialog it will take 40 minutes(although that thing is not very reliable).

One thing to keep in mind is that the drive might be formatted as a fat32 drive. Even if the drive has enough space it won’t be able to handle a file the size of the Gw2.dat.

Edit: Done! 40 minutes was pretty close. Copying to a flash drive will probably take longer unless you are using USB3.

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Posted by: Sendek Redhawk.9740

Sendek Redhawk.9740

Yes old topic
But hopefully useful info to someone going through this experience

Re-downloading client from scratch to new pc (old one had a motherboard crash and was unable to save any GW2 data from the old hard-drive)

25% @ at 12 hours at an average of 1mbps non-stop
About 7.5 gb on DAT file

It’s not about the destination
It’s about the journey

Posted by: Sendek Redhawk.9740

Sendek Redhawk.9740

About 48 hrs total non-stop, but could have been a little quicker had I not downloaded some stuff needed for work, and set connection priority down to low for around 7 hours while doing so.
Total dat file size 20.7 gb

It’s not about the destination
It’s about the journey

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I’m only able to download at work for a couple hours in the morning before everyone else shows up. Once people start showing up, I have to pause it as it hogs up too much bandwidth and they start complaining.

Can’t do it at home as my pc is old (in the middle of a rebuild actually) and can’t handle the game yet.

It’s been a couple mornings now, and there’s still 289,277 files to download. ~sigh~

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Dazzle.4906

Dazzle.4906

So apparently I been downloading this game for 2 days straight now and it’s been 16500 mb downloaded and yet only at 25%with a alarming 215000 remaining can someone help me out here to say as is it actually 22 gigs big the game that is

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

Do people realise this thread spans a 2 year period?

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

Do people realise this thread spans a 2 year period?

I’m sure that they do understand, and the reason for keeping it open is to keep it current for those who are wanting to know the file size. If you don’t find it relevant, don’t read/open the thread. Easy.

~~~~~

My .dat is currently up to 24.2 GB, but if you all think that is bad, try ESO with ~42 gigs!

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

Posted by: WilhelmTheBrown.2978

WilhelmTheBrown.2978

I’m new to GW2 and mine is downloading at about 9% an hour. My friend that introduced this game to me claims that his GW2 takes up about 19gb. I’ve been downloading for 3 hours and I’m still at 28%

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Reminder for all those comparing percents – they are based not on the size of download, but the number of files. If you start downloading a bunch of small files, the percentage can jump very fast even on a slow connection. Consequently, if you are on a part where individual files are big, it may seem slower than it really is.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: MrPootis.8204

MrPootis.8204

I left it over night downloading (12 hours) and got me to 2% and then the power got gut were I live and it had to fully restart…