Dueling Option - Forgotten?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: pigdog.9215

pigdog.9215

yeah, because thats the only reason someone might not want to duel.
this is another post that proves the pvp toxicity.

keep going guys, we don’t even have to defend our side, with points like this!

Good try but…….Wrong. I’m pretty much a 90% PvE player along with most of my guild. It would be fun to duel with friends while waiting for dungeon spots to fill.

Again, if you’re taking dueling that seriously then you need to take a break from gaming in general. Just because you lose to someone in an imaginary game your feelings should not be hurt. Maybe take up farmville or something similar?

farmville part made me lol, i agree.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

because you’re socially awkward

Look the world isnt carebare, why are you trying to keep a virtual world into one? I don’t know if you’ve had a traumatic event about someone harrassing you which makes you so one sided in people not being mean but i’ve dealt with trolls/rude people and it’s as simple as walking away or muting them. No one is trying to personally attack you, on the internet people will be rude and there is nothing you can do about it and i don’t know if you were badly bullied by someone you lost a duel to but its just a game. Don’t get so offended by someone you don’t know.

Thanks for making assumptions about life……………….

Taygus.4571

Good try but…….Wrong. I’m pretty much a 90% PvE player along with most of my guild. It would be fun to duel with friends while waiting for dungeon spots to fill.

Again, if you’re taking dueling that seriously then you need to take a break from gaming in general. Just because you lose to someone in an imaginary game your feelings should not be hurt. Maybe take up farmville or something similar?

Totally missed the point of my post.
And why should I take up another game, just because you want to change the game I like?

pigdog.9215

because you’re socially awkward

Look the world isnt carebare, why are you trying to keep a virtual world into one? I don’t know if you’ve had a traumatic event about someone harrassing you which makes you so one sided in people not being mean but i’ve dealt with trolls/rude people and it’s as simple as walking away or muting them. No one is trying to personally attack you, on the internet people will be rude and there is nothing you can do about it and i don’t know if you were badly bullied by someone you lost a duel to but its just a game. Don’t get so offended by someone you don’t know.

Thanks for making assumptions about life……………….

Hey i’m just saying this because i used to be someone who closed off anything that could potentially hurt me, then i realized i was being silly allowing people’s comments to influence my self esteme and ignored them. Just trying to help incase this is why you’re so against it.

pigdog.9215

And why should I take up another game, just because you want to change the game I like?

It’s not your game, its everyones game. He was just giving friendly advice in which game you’d prefer because as most people know farmville is a non toxic game.

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

If you decline a duel and the player persists “cmon man are you scared?,” this is not dueling, this is harassment. If you have experienced this, or have a problem with this, your issue isn’t with dueling, you issue is with harassment.

The problem is, these 2 things are often connected, I know people who avoid games with open world dueling like the plague, simply because they’ve been harassed over it too many times.

It is easier for anet to just avoid this all together, and create a new duelling map/pvp arena, where people can have an armour/food buff advantage.
But anet should place in big letters on loading into this screen.

“this mode of PVP is NOT balanced, calls to balance it will not be adhered to.”

because you just know, the minute anet adds something like this, people will complain about the OP class and “x” food buff.

Though perhaps a copy of a pve map, turned into pvp Would be nice.
For example a new mist section. (give it a max of idk 70players map fill…then new map opens up….but all players are “enemies”)
They could even randomise the pve map per week, and in the WvW section, where youchoose borderland/eotm etc, have a “PVE mists” …and that will be a random pve map, where people who enter can pvp.

Whether this mode will allow for ganking or just people who accept duels, would be up to anet, but I this might just solve the pvp openworld issue? It’s an “openworld” map, without being in pve.

fair enough. I guess its completely reasonable to assume that dueling brings out the trolls.

I mean, i guess if i was using duels properly, i would never bother you. I would duel my friends, respectfully accept duel declines from strangers, duel away from events or anywhere i could bother people. It’s like i didn’t even exist.

So maybe, in the context of duels, you seem to associate duels and trolls, because you are completely oblivious to the far greater percentage of people that use duels properly. It’s like you get the worst possible, most extreme examples of duel harassment, and treat those as the rule rather than the exception. All while ignoring tools (report/ignore/auto decline) that would be implemented to mitigate issues caused by the people your worried about.

I will try to remain reasonable, but please step back and look from a different perspective.

Taygus.4571

It’s not your game, its everyones game. He was just giving friendly advice in which game you’d prefer because as most people know farmville is a non toxic game.

lol,
no he was telling me to move to another game so that he can have pvp in pve, something that doesn’t and has never existed in GW2 (or GW1).

Look, I gave a suggestion earlier,
about anet creating a new “mist” section, with a random pve map, the mist version will be exactly the same as the pve map, cept people can duel.

It will be out of pve’rs but will still be an “openworld” map.
Due to server issues or whatever, it will be one random pve (mist) map, that will change per week.
It should not be based on WvW colours or current servers you’re up against, but allow anyone to enter this map & to fight another.
Would this satisfy?

However I also asked the question, how worthwhile this would be for anet to implement.

And don’t insult me again, simply because I don’t want, what you want, and I like this game as it is.

Taygus.4571

If you decline a duel and the player persists “cmon man are you scared?,” this is not dueling, this is harassment. If you have experienced this, or have a problem with this, your issue isn’t with dueling, you issue is with harassment.

The problem is, these 2 things are often connected, I know people who avoid games with open world dueling like the plague, simply because they’ve been harassed over it too many times.

It is easier for anet to just avoid this all together, and create a new duelling map/pvp arena, where people can have an armour/food buff advantage.

because you just know, the minute anet adds something like this, people will complain about the OP class and “x” food buff.

For example a new mist section. (give it a max of idk 70players map fill…then new map opens up….but all players are “enemies”)
They could even randomise the pve map per week, and in the WvW section, where youchoose borderland/eotm etc, have a “PVE mists” …and that will be a random pve map, where people who enter can pvp.

Whether this mode will allow for ganking or just people who accept duels, would be up to anet, but I this might just solve the pvp openworld issue? It’s an “openworld” map, without being in pve.

fair enough. I guess its completely reasonable to assume that dueling brings out the trolls.

I mean, i guess if i was using duels properly, i would never bother you. I would duel my friends, respectfully accept duel declines from strangers, duel away from events or anywhere i could bother people. It’s like i didn’t even exist.

So maybe, in the context of duels, you seem to associate duels and trolls, because you are completely oblivious to the far greater percentage of people that use duels properly. It’s like you get the worst possible, most extreme examples of duel harassment, and treat those as the rule rather than the exception. All while ignoring tools (report/ignore/auto decline) that would be implemented to mitigate issues caused by the people your worried about.

I will try to remain reasonable, but please step back and look from a different perspective.

Except, people have already explained, how pvp in pve, is bothersome, how the ignoring/reporting features, aren’t enough.

You might be a decent person, but the toxic people are loud and they will cause the most trouble.
And no one wants to spend their play time constantly reporting/ignoring people.

pigdog.9215

lol,
no he was telling me to move to another game so that he can have pvp in pve, something that doesn’t and has never existed in GW2 (or GW1).

about anet creating a new “mist” section, with a random pve map, the mist version will be exactly the same as the pve map, cept people can duel.

Due to server issues or whatever, it will be one random pve (mist) map, that will change per week.
It should not be based on WvW colours or current servers you’re up against, but allow anyone to enter this map & to fight another.
Would this satisfy?

However I also asked the question, how worthwhile this would be for anet to implement.

And don’t insult me again, simply because I don’t want, what you want, and I like this game as it is.

Would something we didnt ask for satisfy? I don’t know how about you don’t ask stupid questions that you know the answer to then you wont get insulted. Dueling doesn’t affect you, you someone harasses you ignore/report them. That is why the feature is available to you incase you get harassed. If dueling frightens you that much then a simple fix would be ignoring them?

pigdog.9215

Except, people have already explained, how pvp in pve, is bothersome, how the ignoring/reporting features, aren’t enough.

You might be a decent person, but the toxic people are loud and they will cause the most trouble.
And no one wants to spend their play time constantly reporting/ignoring people.

Where are you getting your facts from? From my experiences with dueling people duel you and if you decline they move on, i don’t remember having to spend my time reporting/ignoring people. Please stop spewing out your false opinions of people who duel.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Just responding to the threads title “Dueling Option – Forgotten?” I would have to say that from the majority of the respondents it seems that open world dueling is either unwanted or don’t care as long as it is implemented with auto-decline as the default and must be toggled on before ever seeing duel requests.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

If PvP Trolling and harassment really wasn’t a problem, then why can I look up something along the lines of ‘online player vs player toxicity’ or something similar on Google and find over 400,000 results from practically every corner of the gaming community?

Don’t get me wrong, there are toxic, angry mental 9-year olds no matter where you go. The difference is, in PvE as it is now, I don’t have to worry about those same angry little kitten-heads gunning for me.

And before you ask, yes I do occasionally PvP… With my friends in my guild in sPvP with the custom arena we all chipped in to get…
And this is coming from someone whose oh-so wonderful PvP experiences over the past decade or so included (but is not limited to) some little prick who got so infuriated by the fact that I beat him in a duel (back when I played WoW so many years ago) that he threatened to find me in RL and kill me.
Yeah… I wish I was making that up…

So no… not too keen on the idea of Dueling in PvE…

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Taygus.4571

lol,

Would this satisfy?

Would something we didnt ask for satisfy? I don’t know how about you don’t ask stupid questions that you know the answer to then you wont get insulted. Dueling doesn’t affect you, you someone harasses you ignore/report them. That is why the feature is available to you incase you get harassed. If dueling frightens you that much then a simple fix would be ignoring them?

So you just want to change the game we have, the co-operative pve, that we enjoy, to suit you?

You don’t want to compromise at all.

also duelling doesn’t “frighten” me, I don’t like it, and don’t want to deal with it.
Your attitude that you’ve shown, and the other person who told me to play a different game, …are exactly what I don’t want to deal with. You claim most pvp’ers won’t harass and yet out of the 3 people gunning for it here, 2 have been rude. It’s this attitude we want to avoid.

(edited by Taygus.4571)

Posted by: Slcrisis.6930

Slcrisis.6930

No, I wouldn’t like to compete with my friends in PvE. But thanks for asking. lol

Then ignore the option to duel if they add it. Is it that difficult?

I don’t understand why PvE players are so afraid of dueling being added into the game. What’s the excuse? “I don’t want my precious PvE filled with people fighting!” Is that the best you’ve got? Because you guys are the first ones to COMPLETELY FILL Lions Arch with stupid water balloon fights and costume brawls.

“I don’t want people challenging me!!!” How is this a good excuse? I won’t even touch this one because it’s such a terrible one it hurts.

There’s literally ZERO reason why dueling shouldn’t be added into the game. If you’re afraid of “1 on 1 confrontation” because you’re socially awkward and want to stick to farming, then just ignore dueling if they add it in.

It’s just a game. Get over it.

This so much, it really isn’t all that hard to avoid being spammed or harassed. And the only argument against dueling so far is the “I PERSONALLY hate it so nobody else should have it” which is kitten poor.

It really doesn’t matter what valid points people put across for how dueling can work, because to the people who don’t want dueling it’s only the matter of what they want, and what’s comfortable for them. There is absolutely zero compromise on their part, even though the people FOR dueling have given plenty of ways to stop dueling becoming a hassle for those who don’t want it.

The most “spam” I or my very PvE fanboy friends have ever gotten was maybe 2 requests when the first request was denied, and then they move on. And this was standing in a dueling heavy zone for at least 40 minutes. So god knows where you all are getting this scenario of being stalked home by a dueler from, sounds super exaggerated just to push your personal opinion onto others.

(edited by Slcrisis.6930)

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

This “feature” would totally change the entire current Open World environment and I seriously doubt Anet wants that nor is willing to risk the fallout that would follow. Not gonna happen.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

pigdog.9215

If PvP Trolling and harassment really wasn’t a problem, then why can I look up something along the lines of ‘online player vs player toxicity’ or something similar on Google and find over 400,000 results from practically every corner of the gaming community?

Don’t get me wrong, there are toxic, angry mental 9-year olds no matter where you go. The difference is, in PvE as it is now, I don’t have to worry about those same angry little kitten-heads gunning for me.

And before you ask, yes I do occasionally PvP… With my friends in my guild in sPvP with the custom arena we all chipped in to get…
And this is coming from someone whose oh-so wonderful PvP experiences over the past decade or so included (but is not limited to) some little prick who got so infuriated by the fact that I beat him in a duel (back when I played WoW so many years ago) that he threatened to find me in RL and kill me.

I guess you need to see the laughter in people acting stupid, if i beat someone in a duel and they threatened my life i’d be laughing my kitten off on my chair. How can that not be an enjoyable moment? Its not as if he will actually kill you, cmon its the internet have some fun.

pigdog.9215

This “feature” would totally change the entire current Open World environment and I seriously doubt Anet wants that nor is willing to risk the fallout that would follow. Not gonna happen.

Hey if they were doing a great job dealing with the game i wouldnt ask for it, but look at the state of it now?

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Is it so hard to ignore people ? A simple left click and “Block” and all that angry person is left with is taking to a wall.

If there are no rewards for duels (and there won’t) what do you really think is going to happen to you a random guy asks you for a duel and you refuse ?

Let’s say he gets angry and starts calling you names (what a short temper dude) and you, being smart, simply block him and report him, what next ? You think he’s going to stalk you ?
And I doubt the map chat is going stay silent with only that idiot insulting you (which you won’t see, unless of course you actually care what a random stranger on a game thinks of you base on your refusal to duel with him). He’s going to get reported and not too soon someone is simply going to tell him “If you want to prove you’re tough, what the hell are you doing in PvE ?”

I’m sorry to say, but some people are scared way too much. Getting threatened can be scary, but again, block and report. If you are scared, don’t let things get out of control, as soon as someone barely starts harassing you hit the block button so you won’t get to see their tries at intimidating you.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

AUTO-DECLINE by default if implemented.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

After seeing so many dueling threads, I still don’t understand WHY people want open world dueling. It’s always the same arguments: “Its fun”, “I can test my PvE build”, “PvP custom arenas aren’t convient for dueling”, “Its training for PvP”. My guess is that many of these who want open world dueling are coming from other games that have it, and while they enjoyed it, feel that GW2 should include it so they don’t have to go back to “X” game that had it.

I think one of the great things about GW2 is that it’s not trying to be like other MMOs. Thats a major reason why we don’t have things like mounts, open world dueling, player to player trading, etc. Many MMOs have been there done that. To the point where such things are expected to be in any new MMO, or added to any MMO that doesn’t have them. Trying to take away from what makes GW2 such a great game and turn it into your average run of the mill MMO, IMO, will kill the game faster than anything Anet can do.

I understand that such things are enjoyed by many, but put simply, this game didn’t add them at launch, even though they could be considered an “industry standard”, for a reason. Could they add them at any time? sure. But such things are not where Anet is taking the game. They decided to focus on the LS, which is an awesome and great device they are doing. I do not know of any other MMO that has anything remotely like it. It keeps players playing, and draws in new players. Adding in dueling/mounts/player trading/whatever will be taking a step backward. It would be seen as selling out and lose much of what makes GW2 awesome and amazing.

Firstly guild wars 2 is just like any other mmorpg, it has weapons, armor, loot, bosses, dungeons, pvp, world bosses etc. You’re just cherry picking which completely removes the argument of Gw2 not copying other MMORPGS. If Gw2 was this “perfect” game that you’re making it out to be in this post the forums wouldn’t have such complaints in the general forum section. A step backwards is having the attitude of ignorance, which is what you are showing by expressing dueling/mounts/playertrading is a step backwards because they are not your taste.

First the weapons/armor/loot etc. is not limited to MMOPRGs, but native to RPGs of all types. Second, I never said, nor implied that this game was perfect. Is it a great game? yes. Does it have issues? yes. But having issues does not take away from being a great game. And finally, as far as adding in what nearly every other MMO has would be taking a step backward because GW2 is trying to move forward, and do things that MMOs generally don’t do. It’s not ignorance. In the process of forward thinking, adding, or doing things, that everyone else has done is a step backward. If you are trying to be different, then doing whats been done before is not progress. Thats how ALL progress is made. It’s taking convential wisdom, and saying “lets try it another way, instead of doing it the same way as everyone else.” Of course mistakes and setbacks will happen. But if you stop trying to move forward then you are moving backward.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

pigdog.9215

After seeing so many dueling threads, I still don’t understand WHY people want open world dueling. It’s always the same arguments: “Its fun”, “I can test my PvE build”, “PvP custom arenas aren’t convient for dueling”, “Its training for PvP”. My guess is that many of these who want open world dueling are coming from other games that have it, and while they enjoyed it, feel that GW2 should include it so they don’t have to go back to “X” game that had it.

I think one of the great things about GW2 is that it’s not trying to be like other MMOs. Thats a major reason why we don’t have things like mounts, open world dueling, player to player trading, etc. Many MMOs have been there done that. To the point where such things are expected to be in any new MMO, or added to any MMO that doesn’t have them. Trying to take away from what makes GW2 such a great game and turn it into your average run of the mill MMO, IMO, will kill the game faster than anything Anet can do.

I understand that such things are enjoyed by many, but put simply, this game didn’t add them at launch, even though they could be considered an “industry standard”, for a reason. Could they add them at any time? sure. But such things are not where Anet is taking the game. They decided to focus on the LS, which is an awesome and great device they are doing. I do not know of any other MMO that has anything remotely like it. It keeps players playing, and draws in new players. Adding in dueling/mounts/player trading/whatever will be taking a step backward. It would be seen as selling out and lose much of what makes GW2 awesome and amazing.

Firstly guild wars 2 is just like any other mmorpg, it has weapons, armor, loot, bosses, dungeons, pvp, world bosses etc. You’re just cherry picking which completely removes the argument of Gw2 not copying other MMORPGS. If Gw2 was this “perfect” game that you’re making it out to be in this post the forums wouldn’t have such complaints in the general forum section. A step backwards is having the attitude of ignorance, which is what you are showing by expressing dueling/mounts/playertrading is a step backwards because they are not your taste.

First the weapons/armor/loot etc. is not limited to MMOPRGs, but native to RPGs of all types. Second, I never said, nor implied that this game was perfect. Is it a great game? yes. Does it have issues? yes. But having issues does not take away from being a great game. And finally, as far as adding in what nearly every other MMO has would be taking a step backward because GW2 is trying to move forward, and do things that MMOs generally don’t do. It’s not ignorance. In the process of forward thinking, adding, or doing things, that everyone else has done is a step backward. If you are trying to be different, then doing whats been done before is not progress. Thats how ALL progress is made. It’s taking convential wisdom, and saying “lets try it another way, instead of doing it the same way as everyone else.” Of course mistakes and setbacks will happen. But if you stop trying to move forward then you are moving backward.

It is not hard to ignore someone, people need to relax and remember its a game and let people have fun. Ignore those who troll. Simple.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

It is not hard to ignore someone, people need to relax and remember its a game and let people have fun. Ignore those who troll. Simple.

Misquote? I think you were trying to respond to the post above mine. Or you were implying that you were trolling me…either way this response doesn’t make much sense…

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

And I doubt the map chat is going stay silent with only that idiot insulting you (which you won’t see, unless of course you actually care what a random stranger on a game thinks of you base on your refusal to duel with him). He’s going to get reported and not too soon someone is simply going to tell him “If you want to prove you’re tough, what the hell are you doing in PvE ?”

At this point, the person in question is affecting everyone on the map at least briefly.

Which can be prevented by keeping the PVP in the mists
Not everyone goes by the “just ignore it if you do not like it” rule on mmos.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

Posted by: EvilSardine.9635

EvilSardine.9635

At the very least they should make it so dueling is allowed between server members in the OS sanctum arena area. The end.

Azure The Heartless.3261

At the very least they should make it so dueling is allowed between server members in the OS sanctum arena area. The end.

If it’s contained, sure!

Just not on every map, every instance, everywhere.

Sanctum would be a -prime- place for it, actually.

Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

What exactly can you not do in custom arena compared to open world dueling?

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

At this point, the person in question is affecting everyone on the map at least briefly.
Which can be prevented by keeping the PVP in the mists
Not everyone goes by the “just ignore it if you do not like it” rule on mmos.

Meh I’m not going to waste my time. Arguments happens anyways. If you are bothered by it Anet gave you the tools (block, report, turn off chat).
It’s your choice to use them or not.

Scrambles.2604

Don’t worry guys i got this one!

If you don’t shell out for the gems to get your own custom games, you gotta put up with other people interrupting your 1v1s.

In custom pvp, you are limited only to the sPvP maps, where as in the open world you would get the crazy variety of awesome environments.

You can also kill each other pretty easily in sPvP, which forced you to have to sit through a respawn. Open world duels are a battle to 1 hp then it ends.

You cannot use your standard, PvE/WvW toon in sPvP, you don’t get all of your abilities, and you don’t get to use food. You also don’t get all of the same gear.

It’s not nearly as accessible as open world duels. You have to port to a different area. This is a big difference if you are just killing time before a dungeon/world event and you want to have a little spar in front of the instance portal. It would also bump you out of the whatever part of the megaserver you are on if you have to rejoin the area.

in sPvP you must play a lvl 80 with everything unlocked. For a new player this is overwhelming. Having the ability to test your limited skill set as you are leveling, against peers via open world duels is huge, IMO. In definitely lowers the barrier to entry for PvP, making it more accessible and easier to digest. The lack of this may contribute the animosity we see between the PvE and PvP crowds.

and, personally, i liked passing by the gates of ironforge in WoW, to stop and watch the people that would duel out there for a little bit. I wasn’t invested enough to port to another zone just to see it, but to be able to watch for a little bit as i was passing through was just another nice little touch that made WoW the success it is.

(edited by Scrambles.2604)

Azure The Heartless.3261

If you don’t shell out for the gems to get your own custom games, you gotta put up with other people interrupting your 1v1s.

In custom pvp, you are limited only to the sPvP maps, where as in the open world you would get the crazy variety of awesome environments.

You can also kill each other pretty easily in sPvP, which forced you to have to sit through a respawn. Open world duels are a battle to 1 hp then it ends.

You cannot use your standard, PvE/WvW toon in sPvP, you don’t get all of your abilities, and you don’t get to use food. You also don’t get all of the same gear.

It’s not nearly as accessible as open world duels. You have to port to a different area. This is a big difference if you are just killing time before a dungeon/world event and you want to have a little spar in front of the instance portal. It would also bump you out of the whatever part of the megaserver you are on if you have to rejoin the area.

and, personally, i liked passing by the gates of ironforge in WoW, to stop and watch the people that would duel out there for a little bit. I wasn’t invested enough to port to another zone just to see it, but to be able to watch for a little bit as i was passing through was just another nice little touch that made WoW the success it is.

Arenas now cost gold.
Racial abilities and WVW tools could cause balance issues that would make dueling “who is better geared” vs. “who is more skilled.”. (more than there already are, ofc.) Case in point? Perplexity Runes. Eternity.
There is no skill cap for PVP. Even level 2 players can succeed in SoloQ if they are skilled enough. Of course, duels with the allowances of wvw gear would scare these new players off.
Dueling to pvp is to down, not to death. Once opponent is downed, you back off and let them [bandage].
Point taken on the -kill time before a world boss event-. But that is a matter of convenience as opposed to one of utility.
Point taken on the maps, but there are quite a lot of them if your only aim is to duel.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Funny, there were lots and lots of threads complaining about certain /map chat messages and/or /whispers (you know, the ones that aren’t allowed to be posted about on the forums) that could be taken care of by ‘block and report’.

I guess no one would be bothered by such things if they happened again, but just by different player accounts.

Hmmm….

Oh, and for ArenaNet’s eyes: NO to Open World Dueling. Thanks! =)

Posted by: Brtiva.9721

Brtiva.9721

Hope you’re right.

Azure The Heartless.3261

Know what, crazy notion here, but I’m available for duels if you are not off put by spvp custom arena dueling. I’ll put together an arena for it.

Just a side note.

Mail me.

Scrambles.2604

Arenas now cost gold.
Racial abilities and WVW tools could cause balance issues that would make dueling “who is better geared” vs. “who is more skilled.”. (more than there already are, ofc.) Case in point? Perplexity Runes. Eternity.
There is no skill cap for PVP. Even level 2 players can succeed in SoloQ if they are skilled enough. Of course, duels with the allowances of wvw gear would scare these new players off.
Dueling to pvp is to down, not to death. Once opponent is downed, you back off and let them [bandage].
Point taken on the -kill time before a world boss event-. But that is a matter of convenience as opposed to one of utility.
Point taken on the maps, but there are quite a lot of them if your only aim is to duel.

Thanks for the rebuttal, Azure. I appreciate you being respectful in discussion

Arena’s already cost a ton of gold -_- or gems. My point is, it’s prohibitively expensive. I shouldn’t have to spend that much to duel a buddy.

Duels are for fun. Balance issues are irrelevant. If you don’t want to duel someone who is going to completely counter you or outright stomp you….then dont! That is what the decline option is for.

Skill cap – when i first bought this game, i entered sPvP and had absolutely no idea what was going on. I had no idea what i needed to build, much less the significance of the full trait points i had available to allocate. Having immediate access to a lvl 80 is great when you understand what to do with a lvl 80, but for anyone else, you are starting off way in the back of the learning curve.
Open world duels would fill the gap for leveling players, so when they do finally enter spvp they wont get completely wrecked. It would give you the ability to mess around with different traits and builds as you are leveling up so you get some experience with them in a pvp environment, as opposed to only using them in a PvE context.
TL;DR open duels lets you practice in an inconsequential context, where you wont bother other people that may actually care about pvp.

The respawn is a signifcant difference between sPvP and open world duels. It may be unlikely, but only in sPvP would there be a potential to be inconvenienced by respawns. It’s not a strong point but he asked for differences, not differences that are only tangible to people that don’t participate in duels anyway.

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

I guess you need to see the laughter in people acting stupid, if i beat someone in a duel and they threatened my life i’d be laughing my kitten off on my chair. How can that not be an enjoyable moment? Its not as if he will actually kill you, cmon its the internet have some fun.

Because I find no enjoyment in verbal abuse.
But your right, I should be laughing I guess… I’ll start with the constant BS threads like these that want to change the game for a loud, vocal minority… and screw what anyone says to the contrary!
Yep, this is funny stuff…

Still saying no to Open World Dueling. SPvP is that way.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Azure The Heartless.3261

Arenas now cost gold.

Thanks for the rebuttal, Azure. I appreciate you being respectful in discussion

Arena’s already cost a ton of gold -_- or gems. My point is, it’s prohibitively expensive. I shouldn’t have to spend that much to duel a buddy.

Duels are for fun. Balance issues are irrelevant. If you don’t want to duel someone who is going to completely counter you or outright stomp you….then dont! That is what the decline option is for.

Skill cap – when i first bought this game, i entered sPvP and had absolutely no idea what was going on. I had no idea what i needed to build, much less the significance of the full trait points i had available to allocate. Having immediate access to a lvl 80 is great when you understand what to do with a lvl 80, but for anyone else, you are starting off way in the back of the learning curve.
Open world duels would fill the gap for leveling players, so when they do finally enter spvp they wont get completely wrecked. It would give you the ability to mess around with different traits and builds as you are leveling up so you get some experience with them in a pvp environment, as opposed to only using them in a PvE context.
TL;DR open duels lets you practice in an inconsequential context, where you wont bother other people that may actually care about pvp.

The respawn is a signifcant difference between sPvP and open world duels. It may be unlikely, but only in sPvP would there be a potential to be inconvenienced by respawns. It’s not a strong point but he asked for differences, not differences that are only tangible to people that don’t participate in duels anyway.

200g is a lot of money, but you’re paying for a new server instance. It still appears that anet would like you to spend gems to create and maintain it though. dueling would hit that hard. There would be no reason to purchase a custom arena if all you wanted was to spar with your friends. this has absolutely nothing to do with me, it’s just an aside as to why this probably won’t happen.

While duels are for fun, not everyone sees them that way. Some see dueling as a means of prestige, and any perceived inequality that does not stem from skill is often seen as imbalanced. While some people may duel people when they have a clear disadvantage, others are so nitpicky that outside of a flat win, any room for loss other than mistakes on their end is immediately the cause of their loss. There will be many people that will duel for ego, and this portion of the community is the only portion that affect people other than themselves or their duel opponent. You may see it as fun, but you will also not be the one who thinks its an ego game and annoys map chat when he is proven wrong.

Regarding Open world PVP, hotjoin PVP serves this purpose as well, in particular the rooms dedicated to dueling. since PVP allows access to Traits, Runes, and Sigils, you can play around with these options to your hearts content in a room that does not have rank progression, in order to obtain some idea of what you’d prefer to use in terms of those traits/sigils/runes for PVE.

you can very easily learn and train with different builds in PVP. In hotjoin duel rooms this is actually what the players in that room are -there- for.
and even if someone -does- finish you, the respawn time is like 5 seconds… and you dont take armor damage.

Posted by: TokyoGhost.6492

TokyoGhost.6492

woooow! This thread became bigger than I imagine it could. I really do hope developers and moderators will read all this feedback and implement dueling option.

I made so much mistakes that I now make mistakes without mistake.

Scrambles.2604

200g is a lot of money, but you’re paying for a new server instance. It still appears that anet would like you to spend gems to create and maintain it though. dueling would hit that hard. There would be no reason to purchase a custom arena if all you wanted was to spar with your friends. this has absolutely nothing to do with me, it’s just an aside as to why this probably won’t happen.

While duels are for fun, not everyone sees them that way. Some see dueling as a means of prestige, and any perceived inequality that does not stem from skill is often seen as imbalanced. While some people may duel people when they have a clear disadvantage, others are so nitpicky that outside of a flat win, any room for loss other than mistakes on their end is immediately the cause of their loss. There will be many people that will duel for ego, and this portion of the community is the only portion that affect people other than themselves or their duel opponent. You may see it as fun, but you will also not be the one who thinks its an ego game and annoys map chat when he is proven wrong.

Regarding Open world PVP, hotjoin PVP serves this purpose as well, in particular the rooms dedicated to dueling. since PVP allows access to Traits, Runes, and Sigils, you can play around with these options to your hearts content in a room that does not have rank progression, in order to obtain some idea of what you’d prefer to use in terms of those traits/sigils/runes for PVE.

you can very easily learn and train with different builds in PVP. In hotjoin duel rooms this is actually what the players in that room are -there- for.
and even if someone -does- finish you, the respawn time is like 5 seconds… and you dont take armor damage.

no worries, dude…this is just gunna go back and forth like this. I was attempting to explain my perspective, as an innocent bystander that would love to be able to duels in the open world.

I am caught in a difficult spot, because i am not a troll, yet i have to put up with the damage the trolls have apparently caused on the reputation of a simple feature like dueling. That and of course, a lot of players in GW2 bring a lot of emotional baggage with them from past games, where apparently their dueling experience was tarnished by a few bad apples.

If custom sPvP was sufficient, believe me, i would be there! But i have tried it and found it just as lacking as trying to bait enemies in WvW into no-kill sparring matches. Just like Colin Johanson said, it is an awkward round about way of trying to do things.

I have made an effort to propose open world duels in a way that would have a minimal impact on those who do not care for duels. But just like the extremists and trolls that have tarnished the neutral feature that is open world duels, the extremists against duels will not see any concessions that would have open world duels implemented, even if it were done in a way that would negate the impact open world duels would have on them.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, gotta say. I hope the Devs and Mods read all this feedback and don’t implement Open World Dueling.

Of course, putting it somewhere else would be fine. =)

Posted by: Imperial Thor.5487

Imperial Thor.5487

I for one would like to see dueling. It was a fun little thing to do when there was nothing else to do. Disabling duel option won’t always stop annoying people as Vayne mentioned earlier, But in reality there are people like that who PvE as well. Doesn’t matter if they’re hardcore raiders, PvPers, WvWers. Won’t make a difference. Those people exist.

Two people dueling in the middle of an event to make it scale? What kind of issue is that? People do that now without dueling… Not entirely a good defense against it. It’s not like “Oh hey GW2 added dueling, Lets all go buy it!” is going to happen and we’re going to get more people. More than likely half the dueling people will do it in the sPvP zone assuming they don’t lock it out of it. Which openworld wouldn’t really be that horrible either.

Amusing to always see the argument of. This is my game, I won’t want it in MY game. When it’s also working for the same people who want dueling. It’s not YOUR game, Nor is it MY game. It’s ArenaNet’s game.

Azure The Heartless.3261

no worries, dude…this is just gunna go back and forth like this. I was attempting to explain my perspective, as an innocent bystander that would love to be able to duels in the open world.

I am caught in a difficult spot, because i am not a troll, yet i have to put up with the damage the trolls have apparently caused on the reputation of a simple feature like dueling. That and of course, a lot of players in GW2 bring a lot of emotional baggage with them from past games, where apparently their dueling experience was tarnished by a few bad apples.

If custom sPvP was sufficient, believe me, i would be there! But i have tried it and found it just as lacking as trying to bait enemies in WvW into no-kill sparring matches. Just like Colin Johanson said, it is an awkward round about way of trying to do things.

I have made an effort to propose open world duels in a way that would have a minimal impact on those who do not care for duels. But just like the extremists and trolls that have tarnished the neutral feature that is open world duels, the extremists against duels will not see any concessions that would have open world duels implemented, even if it were done in a way that would negate the impact open world duels would have on them.

As was stated before, if they did something with obsidian sanctum to let people duel there regardless of what world they were affiliated with, it would be prime choice.
I’d rather -not- tick off a whole lot of people just to get a mechanic that a smaller number, relatively, would enjoy, though.

I’d like duels, but they have to be someplace where they both allow PVE functionality and freedom of opponent choice while still not ticking off those that just want to PVE unbothered by the mapchat more than they are now.

Scrambles.2604

As was stated before, if they did something with obsidian sanctum to let people duel there regardless of what world they were affiliated with, it would be prime choice.
I’d rather -not- tick off a whole lot of people just to get a mechanic that a few, relatively, would enjoy, though.

I’d like duels, but they have to be someplace where they both allow PVE functionality and freedom of opponent choice while still not ticking off those that just want to PVE unbothered by the mapchat more than they are now.

Why not just use the open world? I mean, it’s literally referred to as the “open world.” I couldn’t think of a more fitting place. There is so much space to not bother people.

In OS, you are limited to the OS map, not the entire would, and you still have the issue of zoning into another area. This ruins the casual nature of duels. Of course, the functionality of OS may change if duels were specifically enabled there, but as it stands, it’s still a free for all between servers, so while you are dueling your buddy from your server some jerk from another server could interrupt it.

Wooden potatoes said – “any chat in mapchat is better than no map chat” Basically, even if people are arguing, at least the zone isn’t dead!! I’ve played plenty of MMOs where zone chat is a ghost town. The point of map chat is for people to use it! How is that an argument against duels “oh man if people duel they might talk about it in chat jee golly!” If someone is annoying in map chat, like plenty of people are already, do the sensible thing and block them.

Posted by: Silhouette.5631

Silhouette.5631

The whole point of PvE dueling is so that you would be able to fight people, on i don’t know, ONTOP A VOLCANO, or in some other epicly placed area, FoTM, any dungeon, it would be an amazing tool for RPers

Azure The Heartless.3261

I’d rather -not- tick off a whole lot of people just to get a mechanic that a few, relatively, would enjoy, though.

Why not just use the open world? I mean, it’s literally referred to as the “open world.” I couldn’t think of a more fitting place. There is so much space to not bother people.

In OS, you are limited to the OS map, not the entire would, and you still have the issue of zoning into another area. This ruins the casual nature of duels. Of course, the functionality of OS may change if duels were specifically enabled there, but as it stands, it’s still a free for all between servers, so while you are dueling your buddy from your server some jerk from another server could interrupt it.

Wooden potatoes said – “any chat in mapchat is better than no map chat” Basically, even if people are arguing, at least the zone isn’t dead!! I’ve played plenty of MMOs where zone chat is a ghost town. The point of map chat is for people to use it! How is that an argument against duels “oh man if people duel they might talk about it in chat jee golly!” If someone is annoying in map chat, like plenty of people are already, do the sensible thing and block them.

If two people are arguing on map chat and I block both of them, the Map chat is quiet.

At that point, bad map chat is worse than no map chat.

And while that is indeed the sensible thing to do, not many people have sense to block them, or have seen something so quote-unquote ‘offensive’ before deciding to block that they would find themselves compelled to complain about it elsewhere.

Without overextending, all I can say with certainty is that, unless it is placed someplace that does not affect the people not benefiting from it, it would be best to take no action regarding implementing dueling in open PVE.

Bread.7516

in sPvP you must play a lvl 80 with everything unlocked. For a new player this is overwhelming. Having the ability to test your limited skill set as you are leveling, against peers via open world duels is huge, IMO. In definitely lowers the barrier to entry for PvP, making it more accessible and easier to digest. The lack of this may contribute the animosity we see between the PvE and PvP crowds.

As stated by the other guy you can buy custom arenas with gold. Also the cost isnt even that high.

1v1 duels mainly use environments as LoS which are present in tpvp maps, you don;t really flank/high ground or use breaching strategies so open world environment only serves a minor aesthetic purpose.

Respawn is an issue? really?

Standard PvE STATS and food – does it matter (rhetorical)? tpvp is a level playing field with no cost. Also, you do get all your abilities, and now you even get to use the skin of your PVE armor. Play with skills not with stats.

Basically very minor things that are barely an excuse to cover the costs of implementing the system. Understand that they do not have a switch ready made that they can just put a localized hostility tag where it only detects between the 2 duelists. Also, those annoying “duel me duel me duel me” people who don;t respect the “ignore duel requests”.

(edited by Bread.7516)

Azure The Heartless.3261

As stated by the other guy you can buy custom arenas with gold. Also the cost isnt even that high.

1v1 duels mainly use environments as LoS which are present in tpvp maps, you don;t really flank/high ground or use breaching strategies so open world environment only serves a minor aesthetic purpose.

Respawn is an issue? really?

Standard PvE STATS and food – does it matter (rhetorical)? tpvp is a level playing field with no cost. Also, you do get all your abilities, and now you even get to use the skin of your PVE armor. Play with skills not with stats.

Basically very minor things that are barely an excuse to cover the costs of implementing the system. Understand that they do not have a switch ready made that they can just put a localized hostility tag where it only detects between the 2 duelists. Also those annoying “duel me duel me duel me” people who don;t respect the “ignore duel requests”.

good point with people going around the duel ignore, but in pvp we do not get our race-specific skills.

charr wont get (battle cry) and Asura wont get (technobabble) and so on.

Most of the race-specific things are kind of inconvenient anyway, though, with the exception of [become the snow leopard], which is good…for…running away…

Bread.7516

good point with people going around the duel ignore, but in pvp we do not get our race-specific skills.

charr wont get (battle cry) and Asura wont get (technobabble) and so on.

Most of the race-specific things are kind of inconvenient anyway, though, with the exception of [become the snow leopard], which is good…for…running away…

I overlooked those. Also bear form rush on that 1 guy who decides to afk on a wall.

Still I don;t think that justifies the cost.
And to add, it’s like a company putting out a competing product of what they already have since the differences are very minor.

(edited by Bread.7516)

Azure The Heartless.3261

charr wont get (battle cry) and Asura wont get (technobabble) and so on

I overlooked those.

Still I don;t think that justifies the cost.
And to add, it’s like a company putting out a competing product of what they already have since the differences are very minor.

Some people dont think so. I’m very specific on my stance in duels, but you have to consider both portions.

PVErs are going to be harassed by people who treat PVP as an ego trip.

PVP Duel supporters want to use some of this otherwise bare land for some spectacular duels. I’d love to see a good fight on southsun cove. That would be amazing. Nobody even hangs out at southsun cove. Not even for Karka.

However. I have to respect that people less mature than the people proposing this are going to give players hell. and given that some players from pve wont even set foot into the mists because of that, It seems unfair to just up-and-bring it to them.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

While 100% against any type of challenge or duel system in Open World proper, I have no problem with specific arena type areas adjacent or within controlled areas of open world zones.

The Bane in the Black Citadel comes to mind.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Bread.7516

snip

In my perspective I think the stated reasons just doesn’t justify the cost of making it which can potentially lead to so many bugs since they would be messing with hostility tags being local to the player and duelist. Remember release with all those buggy NPCs and skill points where they don’t turn hostile?

Also potential split of pvp community – reason of what you just mentioned and then some more.

Posted by: Sad Swordfish.9743

Sad Swordfish.9743

Jon Petersen during the last beta event; http://i.imgur.com/YuLDmMQ.jpg

They now have support for 1 vs 1, but as you can read they also want to add support for dueling in-world.