EPIC Announcements for 2014

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

…and the forums are, like the game, still bugged in the same old annoying ways. Clicking on this thread shows me nothing but a reply box.

So here are my thoughts on it: Fix the bug where when the person who makes the post that causes the thread to go to a second page, that person can read the thread without having to make another post. Already.

/sigh

Posted by: Makarei.4316

Makarei.4316

i don’t like temporary content, I’m very casual player, maybe play once or 2 times a week, i very rarely play the temporary content because i never get time to complete the achievements or be there on the last day to the finish the end content stuff. if it was solid content id be able to accomplish it better in the time i can allocate to playing the game. that’s is one reason why i stopped playing gw2, as there is no point playing something that’s gone in a few days or within a week.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

i don’t like temporary content, I’m very casual player, maybe play once or 2 times a week, i very rarely play the temporary content because i never get time to complete the achievements or be there on the last day to the finish the end content stuff. if it was solid content id be able to accomplish it better in the time i can allocate to playing the game. that’s is one reason why i stopped playing gw2, as there is no point playing something that’s gone in a few days or within a week.

But that what a persistent world is things changes with out you being there. If you want to be the center of an universe single players games fit that bill a great deal more then any online game could.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Nyel.1843

Nyel.1843

So, the “feature patch” should come nearer and nearer…

But when is the big question. I highly doubt it will be March 18, won’kitten

Furthermore I am just extremly curious about the things ANet’s going to add, especially this features.

I think we can expect at least one new zone, maybe a bunch of the as Mordremoth slept underneath Magus Falls. But more? …

Some kind of Raid-Dungeon would be great to see I think.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Angel made mention of some Sylvari stuff going down in 2014. Maybe Scarlet’s story will lead to Magus Falls and the surrounding areas, to confront Modremoth?

How very prescient of you! Well, probably…lol.

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

Furthermore I am just extremly curious about the things ANet’s going to add, especially this features.

I think we can expect at least one new zone, maybe a bunch of the as Mordremoth slept underneath Magus Falls. But more? …

Some kind of Raid-Dungeon would be great to see I think.

I think it’s been said, March 18th is the epilogue to the living story where our questions about Scarlet are finally answered.

As far as what’s to come, I’m guessing everything ArenaNet has tried to do in the beginning before the game was released.

Posted by: darkvise.3197

darkvise.3197

I think we will see the “big feature patch” after may 16, the end of wvw season.
The last time they have done so, for “avoiding to change the balance during the season” if i remeber correctly.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

If you put all content released this year together you get an expansion’s worth of content, maybe more.

This is a joke?

You surely ment ‘not’ an expansion’s worth of content?

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Oh, it will likely happen 2 weeks later. And there will be rejoicing when we see the patch notes.
…and then we’ll look at the date and realize that all of that was a big joke.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I just want GvG and Guild Halls.

Posted by: Rennoko.5731

Rennoko.5731

I think we will see the “big feature patch” after may 16, the end of wvw season.
The last time they have done so, for “avoiding to change the balance during the season” if i remeber correctly.

I am absolutely certain if they delay that long, it will be a decision they regret. Though it is hard to argue with the logic, as they did say they would not make balance changes during a WvW season, and they can continue to deflect dis-satisfied customers by throwing fun WvW season 2 banners up in the air, and theoretically hyping that new patch for the months to come…

They might just be able to string the majority along for that. I don’t think I will be in that majority though.

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

I am absolutely certain if they delay that long, it will be a decision they regret. Though it is hard to argue with the logic, as they did say they would not make balance changes during a WvW season, and they can continue to deflect dis-satisfied customers by throwing fun WvW season 2 banners up in the air, and theoretically hyping that new patch for the months to come…

They might just be able to string the majority along for that. I don’t think I will be in that majority though.

I can’t help but remember the meta reward for season 1.

It was probably the most grindy meta they had every released with the most terrible reward as well.

I don’t think they will attract nearly as many players with season 2 after that fiasco which is a shame.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

It was probably the most grindy meta they had every released with the most terrible reward as well.

I don’t think they will attract nearly as many players with season 2 after that fiasco which is a shame.

And to top that off the only unique thing was a Dolyak Mini, which can now be purchased for tickets… So much for unique…

Azreell.1568

And to top that off the only unique thing was a Dolyak Mini, which can now be purchased for tickets… So much for unique…

Yip.

I was talking a a bunch of people about this recently in a servers TS which I will not name.

The common consensus was beyond those who already regularly do wvw not many others were interested again due to how season 1 played out in terms of the meta rewards.

It’s a shame because season 1 had the opportunity to really get people interested and stay interested in that particular part of the game.

But, once again the lack of reward will not entice the pve crowd (majority of players in gw2) to come back.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

by this time, GW1 has 3 chapters released and Anet is hyped up about EotN, till now GW2 doesn’t even come close to one chapter worth of content……
ill wait and see but it doesn’t look good, the only thing that really lures me back is ether a big expansion or new places unlocked, hopefully without making achievements the main attraction but instead making the story (and no DPS or zerg fest) more important.

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

by this time, GW1 has 3 chapters released and Anet is hyped up about EotN, till now GW2 doesn’t even come close to one chapter worth of content……
ill wait and see but it doesn’t look good, the only thing that really lures me back is ether a big expansion or new places unlocked, hopefully without making achievements the main attraction but instead making the story (and no DPS or zerg fest) more important.

You mean we can have a story without Zerging??? :O

Posted by: Hjorje.9453

Hjorje.9453

Sorry to say they did not have 3 chapters released. They had only added Cantha by this time. With Nightfall still months away. I do see your point about having added more content, but putting false information doesn’t help the argument.

Hjorje

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Sorry to say they did not have 3 chapters released. They had only added Cantha by this time. With Nightfall still months away. I do see your point about having added more content, but putting false information doesn’t help the argument.

Speaking of false info, check your dates.

GW launched 4/28/05; Factions on 4/28/06; Nightfall on 10/27/06; 1 year, 183 days.
GW2 launched 8/28/12; it’s now 1 year, 191 days.

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

GW launched 4/28/05; Factions on 4/28/06; Nightfall on 10/27/06; 1 year, 183 days.

GW1 team is not the same as GW2….Completely different philsophies

GW2 is handicapped by NCsoft. Anet’s hand is forced here because the best thing for business right now is gemstore additions + LS (god knows why, LS sucks and is dead content after 2-3 days of release and officially dead content after a few weeks)

Needless to say, if GW2 keeps following this path of focusing on LS + gemstore, its going to die soon

If there isn’t any serious content (i’m talking expac content like new skills/class/PvP modes, end game content, etc) than this game is done.

Just wait till EQN, Wildstar, etc release and you will see. Anet already stated IN GAME sales for gems have gone down 25%… what does that mean? they will be adding more lucrative things to gem store, guaranteed. And this is going to be heavily pushed by NCsoft over any xpac like update.

sorudo.9054

You mean we can have a story without Zerging??? :O

i know some ways but it depends on how accepting the community is, also depends how well Anet can scale selective.

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Trust me
Expansion: Everyone gets a few new skills and combat mechanics are messed with a bit..
Features: Everyone gets 1-2 items in their home instance, an old dungeon get’s revamped, more gemstore items, new spvp map and that’s… about.. it..

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

GW1 team is not the same as GW2….Completely different philsophies

GW2 is handicapped by NCsoft. Anet’s hand is forced here because the best thing for business right now is gemstore additions + LS (god knows why, LS sucks and is dead content after 2-3 days of release and officially dead content after a few weeks)

Needless to say, if GW2 keeps following this path of focusing on LS + gemstore, its going to die soon

If there isn’t any serious content (i’m talking expac content like new skills/class/PvP modes, end game content, etc) than this game is done.

Just wait till EQN, Wildstar, etc release and you will see. Anet already stated IN GAME sales for gems have gone down 25%… what does that mean? they will be adding more lucrative things to gem store, guaranteed. And this is going to be heavily pushed by NCsoft over any xpac like update.

The other problem is that Wildstar is also owned by NCsoft. Where is all that NCsoft publisher money gonna go if Wildstar suddenly becomes a bigger cash cow than GW2? Certainly not into Anet if that ends up being the case. They’ll be pressured to do more with less and the game will show it. More tricks to pressure people to play every day, more QoL updates in the gem store…

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

(edited by Substance E.4852)

Nyel.1843

The other problem is that Wildstar is also owned by NCsoft. Where is all that NCsoft publisher money gonna go if Wildstar suddenly becomes a bigger cash cow than GW2? Certainly not into Anet if that ends up being the case…

Wildstar won’t be a bigger cash cow than Guild Wars 2. Mass appeal, known brand and quality vs. a new game. I highly doubt Wildstar will sell more than 1,5-2 million copies.

Substance E.4852

The other problem is that Wildstar is also owned by NCsoft. Where is all that NCsoft publisher money gonna go if Wildstar suddenly becomes a bigger cash cow than GW2? Certainly not into Anet if that ends up being the case…

Wildstar won’t be a bigger cash cow than Guild Wars 2. Mass appeal, known brand and quality vs. a new game. I highly doubt Wildstar will sell more than 1,5-2 million copies.

Can I borrow that crystal ball when you’re done?

Going back in time 7 years or so, we’d all probably think very little of GW1. A game by a new company, that bucks most every MMO trope out there with WoW tearing it up in an unprecedented fashion? Nah, they’ll never make it…

Even 50% less people, but paying a monthly fee, is probably going to earn them more and said fee will be easier to swallow than other games because they are copying EvE Online’s PLEX system where you can buy and sell monthly passes for ingame money. Make a buttload of gold every 30 days? No more monthly fee for you.

(edited by Substance E.4852)

sorudo.9054

Even 50% less people, but paying a monthly fee, is probably going to earn them more and said fee will be easier to swallow than other games because they are copying EvE Online’s PLEX system where you can buy and sell monthly passes for ingame money. Make a buttload of gold every 30 days? No more monthly fee for you.

and then archeage and black desert comes along and all of a sudden wildstar is the same as GW2, you can be hyped about a game but i have had plenty of times that what ppl claim is only gonna make you expect more then there really is.
also, a monthly fee is bad voodoo, it asks to be turned in to a freemuim game someday.

Substance E.4852

and then archeage and black desert comes along and all of a sudden wildstar is the same as GW2, you can be hyped about a game but i have had plenty of times that what ppl claim is only gonna make you expect more then there really is.
also, a monthly fee is bad voodoo, it asks to be turned in to a freemuim game someday.

I’m not saying Wildstar will be good. I love the art style but know little of the game play and scifi mmo’s are tricky business.

And as far as the fee goes, it just has to be good (a huge hurdle for an MMO but not an impossible one) Both EvE and WoW are still pay to play with Wildstar copying EvE’s PLEX system of buying and selling monthly passes in game which is a genius system that other games don’t emulate enough.

Nyel.1843

I am a fan of Wildstar too, but it’s a harsh time for MMORPGs. I expect TESO to fail like SW:TOR due the fact that the game is mediocre in every way. Only the brand will sell 2-3 million copies until everybody realizes, how bad TESO as an MMORPG really is.

For expectations, TESO > Wildstar.

Guild Wars 1 came out in a quite moderate time for MMOs. Was my first one after which I went to WoW. GW1 sold ~ 8-10 million copies, nobody knows – that was an IMMENSE success. Guild Wars 2 is selling quite good. 4 million copies is not bad either and I think they are making quite good business with the ingame shop.

Wildstar will be a very nice, special and funny game. But Guild Wars 2 is the “safe-way” for money.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I hear the ’It’s all because NCSoft owns ArenaNet that this game is dying’ claim a lot. But NCSoft owned ArenaNet long before Guild Wars (One) launched, as well. No one seems to say it’s NCSoft’s fault that game did well. I wonder why.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I’m not saying Wildstar will be good. I love the art style but know little of the game play and scifi mmo’s are tricky business.

And as far as the fee goes, it just has to be good (a huge hurdle for an MMO but not an impossible one) Both EvE and WoW are still pay to play with Wildstar copying EvE’s PLEX system of buying and selling monthly passes in game which is a genius system that other games don’t emulate enough.

Biggest issues with Wildstar are the sub and the art style, the gameplay is fantastic.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Guardian.5142

Guardian.5142

Biggest issues with Wildstar are the sub and the art style, the gameplay is fantastic.

The Plex style pay to play is the kicker though and is a REALLY solid way to roll over time. Your free to play folks become great farmers and your pay to players get influxes to their income in game when they want/need to spend more time out of game. Gem to gold failed in my mind. It brought a conflict of interest that stifled the end game economy. In wildstar, even if you make thousands of “gold” to buy a free month of gaming, someone paid for that month AND the month they are currently playing. They’ll still probably keep a balance for how much the Plex would go for, so that its worth the buyers while to sell them, but its not so much a conflict of interest like currently where folks are using the system to get everything they want in game farming content without paying a dime.

I’m not completely certain what the turnoff is in the animation. In fact, this kind of animation resembles stuff like Titan AE and Treasure Planet which is pretty popular in my circles. The craziness and overexaggeration is… actually part of its charm.

The question for me is: Do I want to make a psychotic alien monster to chase people around atomizing them with death rays? The answer is yes… yes I do I need my earth-shattering ka-boom!

What did ANET do when the sheer mass of the event ZERG was too much for the server to support?
They had to SPAWN MORE OVERFLOWS!

Posted by: deathklock.4961

deathklock.4961

There is a story to the scarlet crusade ? All i see is the same mobs spawning over and over and over and over and over and over again, thats the story (golf clap).

Azreell.1568

After GW2 – I will not play another F2P game again.

Sub based models are so superior in terms of overall value and enjoyment for the common consumer it’s probably the reason most new games being released are sub based.

F2P model benefits the companies not the consumer.

I would pay a sub any day of the week and get actual content to keep me busy instead of this waste of time we keep getting in terms of the LS which is nothing more then follow the zerg around and hunt for AP to get lack luster rewards.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

. I expect TESO to fail like SW:TOR due the fact that the game is mediocre in every way. Only the brand will sell 2-3 million copies until everybody realizes, how bad TESO as an MMORPG really

You do realize swtor isn’t a fail, right?
Last year alone it made well over twice as much money as gw2 did.

Posted by: medohgeuh.4650

medohgeuh.4650

After GW2 – I will not play another F2P game again

This isn’t a f2p game, though.

Nyel.1843

. I expect TESO to fail like SW:TOR due the fact that the game is mediocre in every way. Only the brand will sell 2-3 million copies until everybody realizes, how bad TESO as an MMORPG really

SW:TOR ist for sure a fail – or has been a fail. The cartel market is their cash cow releasing kittenty stuff like live day in a Star Wars universe. So yes, they are making money with their shop. That’s it. And you can’t even compare GW2 with SW:TOR in terms of quality despite GW2 is free2play and SW:TOR isn’t.

I think ANet is doing very well with their decisions of the b2p model. TESO will mostly fail because of the p2p AND the mediocre quality it delivers. P2P requires high quality, polishing and so on.

Azreell.1568

And continues to grow.

I myself did not like the game but it’s doing an amazing job for those who do and it’s player base continues to increase.

Also, It made the top 10 list for largest amount of in game sales for 2013.

GW2 was not on that list.

Before people use something as an example they should probably do a little research instead of making themselves look foolish.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Azreell.1568

After GW2 – I will not play another F2P game again

This isn’t a f2p game, though.

B2P

fixt.

Semantics ftl.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

medohgeuh.4650

It’s not semantics when there’s a clear difference in developmental goals.

Azreell.1568

It’s not semantics when there’s a clear difference in developmental goals.

There is no clear difference in developmental goals.

Both games survive on micro-transactions.

If you think GW2 survives on box sales which will diminish as the game ages – I suggest you do some research on this subject.

GW2 box sales according to NcSofts 4th quarter financial statements are already down substantially which is to be expected and this games greatest revenue area was in micro transactions.

That differs how developmentally from f2p games?

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

SW:TOR ist for sure a fail – or has been a fail. The cartel market is their cash cow releasing kittenty stuff like live day in a Star Wars universe. So yes, they are making money with their shop. That’s it. And you can’t even compare GW2 with SW:TOR in terms of quality despite GW2 is free2play and SW:TOR isn’t.

I think ANet is doing very well with their decisions of the b2p model. TESO will mostly fail because of the p2p AND the mediocre quality it delivers. P2P requires high quality, polishing and so on.

Sorry, it’s far from a fail.
And for the record gw2 isn’t f2p and swtor is f2p.

Nyel.1843

The game has been a fail from launch on. That it’s making a good revenue now because of micro transactions is not really what everybody wanted and suggested. You know the most expensive video game ever made sold roughly 2,5 million copies and went within the first year free to play. No, it’s a huge success.

I know SW:TOR is doing better now, but from a tremendous success it is VERY FAR away. In comparison, GW2 sold within 1,5 years 4 million units and they add something to the world every 2-4 weeks. And the LA event is a HUGE thing. Tell me how can ANet do something BioWare needed more than 1,5 years to do?

Sorry, we don’t have to talk about it. Guild Wars 2 is in terms of quality in every part superior to SW:TOR. But maybe it’s just the opinion of the “most”, not of everybody.

We’re missing the topic right now. I like Wildstar. But I doubt that GW2 has to be anxious about it.

@ Azreell

GW2 not on that list… you know why? Because it offers quite less crappy stuff like SW:TOR with their 10000 coloured mounts and their ugly equip. And their boxes because of which they make their revenues. Because of gambling.

medohgeuh.4650

If you think GW2 survives on box sales which will diminish as the game ages – I suggest you do some research on this subject.

GW2 box sales according to NcSofts 4th quarter financial statements are already down substantially which is to be expected and this games greatest revenue area was in micro transactions.

Why are you talking about the commercial side of things? That has nothing to do with the development of the game itself.

Quit being purposely obtuse just because you’re irl mad over a video game not meeting your personal (and likely unwarranted) expectations.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Epic Announcement?

New weapon skills? New usable utility skills? Finally achieved class balance?
New Dungeons? New Zones? New non-gem store armor/weapon sets/skins?
Continuation of the personal story?
Guild Halls? Polymock?
Finally option to when people were last online in Guild Panel?

None of the above.
Probably.

Azreell.1568

The game has been a fail from launch on. That it’s making a good revenue now because of micro transactions is not really what everybody wanted and suggested. You know the most expensive video game ever made sold roughly 2,5 million copies and went within the first year free to play. No, it’s a huge success.

I know SW:TOR is doing better now, but from a tremendous success it is VERY FAR away. In comparison, GW2 sold within 1,5 years 4 million units and they add something to the world every 2-4 weeks. And the LA event is a HUGE thing. Tell me how can ANet do something BioWare needed more than 1,5 years to do?

Sorry, we don’t have to talk about it. Guild Wars 2 is in terms of quality in every part superior to SW:TOR. But maybe it’s just the opinion of the “most”, not of everybody.

We’re missing the topic right now. I like Wildstar. But I doubt that GW2 has to be anxious about it.

So you can speak for most?

Impressive.

On a realistic note – I judge a game by it’s performance. Yes, you are correct SwTor had a rocky launch but did a complete turn around.

The debate was if Swtor failed and it did not. It is now a profitable and game with a stable player base. Matter of fact it is more profitable then GW2 currently so that would make one wonder many things about GW2.

Also, To clarify GW2 box sales are down dramatically (which is to be expected since the game is 1 yr old and it has been common knowledge Anet said no xpac in the foreseeable future) and they survive mainly on micro transactions also. This information can all be looked up via Ncsofts financial statements.

GW2 is heavily vested in micro transactions and looking at certain development and content designs you can see the cash grabs to come.

There are little differences in both games business models atm.

So using the rebuttal that the only reason Tor is still around and doing well is due to the cash shop – one can surely assume the same holds true for GW2.

I

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Azreell.1568

Why are you talking about the commercial side of things? That has nothing to do with the development of the game itself.

Quit being purposely obtuse just because you’re irl mad over a video game not meeting your personal (and likely unwarranted) expectations.

I truly hope you do you believe the above bold text.

The commercial side of things has everything to do with the developmental side of the game and directly dictates and impacts it.

I am not mad at all.

Amused and passing time would be the more correct terminology.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Guardian.5142

Guardian.5142

@ Azreell

GW2 not on that list… you know why? Because it offers quite less crappy stuff like SW:TOR with their 10000 coloured mounts and their ugly equip. And their boxes because of which they make their revenues. Because of gambling.

It would help if you said something is good or bad based on a set standard. It helps people understand the framework for your opinion based on understood figures. Otherwise, your opinion just smells different than mine.

Well, it does that too. whew… Someone open a window!

I hope Wildstar meets the most of the basic expectations of the gamers it attracts and exceeds in the areas I find most fun.

What did ANET do when the sheer mass of the event ZERG was too much for the server to support?
They had to SPAWN MORE OVERFLOWS!

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The other problem is that Wildstar is also owned by NCsoft. Where is all that NCsoft publisher money gonna go if Wildstar suddenly becomes a bigger cash cow than GW2? Certainly not into Anet if that ends up being the case. They’ll be pressured to do more with less and the game will show it. More tricks to pressure people to play every day, more QoL updates in the gem store…

That is not how business works. Investors (the publisher, in the case of a game) provide money (the investment) to allow the company (developer) to make the product (game). Once the product goes on sale, money from sales support the company’s ongoing efforts and the investors take money out. The issue is, rather, that if GW2 income were to drop to a point where it was not self-supporting, then cutbacks would occur. This is not to say that NCSoft is not investing in further GW2 development for market expansion, but it’s doubtful that publisher money would be put into propping up a game that was not self-sustaining.

medohgeuh.4650

I am not mad at all.

So basically the average, masochistic, gaming forum goer. Got it.

Azreell.1568

I am not mad at all.

So basically the average, masochistic, gaming forum goer. Got it.

Or another way to phrase it would be just the average person listing a games glaring and obvious faults in hopes they change prior to more people jumping ship.

Fan boy responses are so stereo-typical.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: ipan.4356

ipan.4356

I don’t think I’m going to play MMO’s again until after the Oculus Rift is released.