Ecto Gambling - Dangers and chances [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Edit: thread merged with main thread

@Limitbreaker
The title of your thread was wrong. It’s not “Gw2 = rich get richer, the poor get poorer.” The real title should be “GW2 = where those who gamble without limits can lose everything. Just like in real life”

Because you see, this is what happens also in real life to those who don’t set limits on how much they are willing to lose before they turn around and walk away. Never, ever go into a gambling situation without knowing what your loss limit is and without bring willing to stop when you hit it.

If this is the first time this has happened to you then you should consider yourself lucky that it wasn’t real life and real paychecks and maybe you should think about how you reacted to gambling. It might be best if you stay away from it as some people can’t control themselves.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

One thing is for sure: The system is unfair.

The RNG may be badly distributed, or not have proper ‘safety nets’ to prevent extremely unlucky streaks.

Whatever it is the cause, it allows things like one single player in your guild doing waaay less than everyone else in the guild, yet getting more shinnies than the entire rest of the guild put together.

We have one guy who has gotten an ascended every week on at least one guild missions, while the rest were lucky if they got an exotic once every 2 months.

The current only frustrates players. RNG must be adjusted with systems that prevents extreme cases, and must always be accompanied of systems that reward skill and dedication, so RNG is not the one and only source of anything.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Zaron.1987

Zaron.1987

One thing is for sure: The system is unfair.

We have one guy who has gotten an ascended every week on at least one guild missions, while the rest were lucky if they got an exotic once every 2 months.

How often is every Week? Over a Month, 3 or since Release?

I love such wide generalizations

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

it’s an ecto sink….

It’s both an Ecto and Gold sink tbh.

Personally I have gained around 400 Ecto’s and about 150gold… playing the middle tier gamble, but I had to loose almost 400gold before the good times began to roll… hitting 2 jackpots in short succession .. the 10 stacks of Ecto’s and 75 trash crystals twice seemed to changed my luck a bit.
So now I have set aside a couple of hundred Ecto’s and play occasionally with them to stave off addiction….. so far its a few small wins and the odd 10 Ecto +1 crystal which are what dent your bank balance and drive the addiction home.

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

I generally only gamble after I look at the odds. In this case, my interpretation of the wiki is that the dab is a straight-up loss (assuming you have 0 chance at goo-covered objects — not enough data to know if you can or not). The exotic one seems to covert gold to ectos at a rate of 35 silver each — when I tried, I gained ectos and lost gold at a rate of 10 silver lost per ecto gained. The ascended one seems to be a net loss (with ectos valued at 35 silver each) but give you parts for the mystic forge conduit, but at a cost where it is cheaper to buy off the TP (about 70-75 gold per goo-covered object, which is a mystic forge conduit part about 50% of the time). Cheaper yet would be to buy the parts off the TP and forge it yourself.

However, only the most expensive version seems to contribute to the achievement, and if you can sell items from the portal, that may be worth getting.

Is that about the gist of it?

Posted by: degoat.4938

degoat.4938

I myself love this ecto gambler i lost 1.7k gold the first time i did it wich was verry unfortunate but after that i got the personal deliverer from then on it went smooth i started this week with 25 gold and 100 ecto to gamble and i am now sitting on 2.934k gold and 700 ecto plasma so as far as i know im winning with it and i love it

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

Haha whoa, I’ve played this game since the headstart and I’ve only managed to reach 200 gold for the Golden title 2 weeks back, seeing amounts like this just dazzles me. :p

Then again, whenever I have a bit of gold I spend it asap or convert it to gems to buy character slots and dress up new ones haha. This is why I will never even think of trying to go for a legendary – well, I also don’t like how they look – except the shield, so I hope that precursor never drops for me! I’ll never be able to save up all that gold and all those mats to make the legendary shield anyway, so it’s better for my sanity.

Posted by: ElforTheLandStander.7052

ElforTheLandStander.7052

You need to do the 100G/250 ectos one, it’s the most risk but also the most reward potential because of the Orbs of Crystallized Plasma. And you need to go about it sensibly. Doing things like setting a limit, like if I go below X amount of gold I walk away…and if you know yourself well enough to know you don’t have the willpower to stop, give that gold to a trusted friend to hang onto for you.

You should also obviously only do it when you’re relatively well-off to begin with, and one loss won’t wipe you out completely. If you’ve only GOT like 150G and 260 ectos, and you lose once and are left without the means to roll again, you’re pretty well screwed. I only gamble occasionally when I have 500 or more ectos and 600 or 700G.

I’ve had one or two scary moments where I was down to like 300G(my cutoff point) but way up in ectos, managed to TP enough of those to get back into it and come out ahead. Usually slightly ahead in gold and ectos…though once I got the 5 orbs, and came out with a net gain of like 300G.

I actually did it a little the other day for ectos rather than gold, because I’ve got some upcoming stuff I’m doing that’s gonna require a lot of them. 1 stack for a Gift of Fortune, and 2 stacks for a fully-upgraded Fractal Capacitor. I came out of it with a little over 750 ectos and slightly ahead(like 20 I think, can’t recall for sure) in gold, walked away.

Probably won’t be doing it for quite some time, now that all my ectos are earmarked for things where I’ll actually need to use them up. Once I’ve got all that stuff done and I’m back up above 500 again, I’ll probably give it another shot. I’ve been cautious and it’s been kind to me so far.

Posted by: Matazeruz.7498

Matazeruz.7498

Wait, you’re telling me I could lose money from gambling ?

Posted by: Dzynta Mokry.9867

Dzynta Mokry.9867

im new player and i have lost all my money, dont gamble ppl! rip 1500 gold, now idk what to do in gw2 anymore ;c I needed to share this with someone

(edited by Dzynta Mokry.9867)

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I maxed the achievement with a profit of something in the neighborhood of 2,400 gold and exactly 150 ectos. I also managed to build a mystic forge conduit. I never planned to go all the way but I just kept on winning. I hit a 2,000 gold jackpot (20 orbs) early and intended to stop as soon as the profit dipped below a certain figure. I adjusted that figure upward a few times, I was doing that well.

I do feel I hit an anomalous run of identical results along the way (250 of the 1g trophy plus 6 of the 50 ecto bundles). I got it 8 times in a row.

“Proud” owner of a Tarrktun sales portal now, which will see no use, ever.

Posted by: Loading.4503

Loading.4503

I love gambling ectos, I’m one of the blessed people to have good rng on this, I have my wins and losses, but mostly profit, and just to see if I could use this to craft a legendary, I was able to make enough for twilight in less than 2 weeks gambling slowly with it

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

IMO – this is a MAJOR missed opportunity ANet had

They could of used Essence of Luck ensuring the crushing of Globs of Ecto from the economy (as well as plenty of other garbage items off the Trading Post) and received the same/more Gambling usage long-term. And it would of encouraged the Trading Post to continue to flow in/out liquidity.

@John Smith, where are you?

Doesn’t manufacturing insignias and mystic forging crush them enough?

Posted by: Jupitertree.6329

Jupitertree.6329

I went up to 4,000 gold from 3,500 then ended up going all the way down to 200. Idk what to do after I lost this much. Don’t spend any of your money on this. Your chances are supposed to make you go negative.

Posted by: Zephuros.5073

Zephuros.5073

Whoever says this is a money sink obviously doesn’t know how to play the skritt… Im not giving any tips, simply for fear of nerf… But i roll the dice every day and have learned the secret… Sure you can say that it’s all chance, but he’s got a method to his madness, the people that lose all their g on him do it because they are simply greedy.. I go to him every day and rarely leave without a hefty profit. Quit while you’re ahead… That’s all I’m going to say.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Whoever says this is a money sink obviously doesn’t know how to play the skritt… Im not giving any tips, simply for fear of nerf… But i roll the dice every day and have learned the secret… Sure you can say that it’s all chance, but he’s got a method to his madness, the people that lose all their g on him do it because they are simply greedy.. I go to him every day and rarely leave without a hefty profit. Quit while you’re ahead… That’s all I’m going to say.

If you quit while you’re ahead, doesn’t that mean only one roll a day? Because you could lose all the gold you’ve gained and more on the second roll and quitting then means you’re quitting when you’re behind.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: IcyTear.6378

IcyTear.6378

Are you sure you can win everyday ? What if one day you lose gold and you can’t stop trying to get it back ? Here’s my tip : Don’t gambling , if you want gambling . Put all your gold in the table and play only once .

Posted by: Acnologia.6934

Acnologia.6934

Rise again my puppet… oh sorry is it nor the necrophily club?