I like the look of it.

~EW

[Feedback] New Legendary Bow [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Precursor maybe?

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

Precursor maybe?

It has an aura; that’s definitely the finished legendary.
Here’s a gif from the same reddit user as the OP picture: https://gfycat.com/BewitchedForkedGentoopenguin

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

I guess they needed 6 months to make an aura while using generic shortbow skin.

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

I guess they needed 6 months to make an aura while using generic shortbow skin.

While working on other skins, collections, lore integration, being shifted around, having a life, having other responsibilities, comming up with an idea, designing it, redesigining it, having problems, being sick, etc…

Seriously, you guys… The joke is old and based on lacking information.

I like it.
Yes it looks similiar to designes the glorious GemShop is spitting out on a two-weekly basis, but that was bound to happen.
Maybe we were just lucky with H.O.P.E. , the Raven and Asterlarius.
However they also look like things we had there already and are safed by their effecs and aura.

What do we know about this here? a split second of the aura standing.
No projectile/sound/footfall, etc. effect.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Such an unwieldy, clunky looking weapon. The picture looks like someone started designing it and didn’t know when to stop. I can only hope it looks better in game.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Such an unwieldy, clunky looking weapon. The picture looks like someone started designing it and didn’t know when to stop. I can only hope it looks better in game.

I’d pick it over shooting unicorn ammunition any day. I like the design a lot.

~EW

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Another legendary I won’t be getting.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

That’s nothing. Apparently gaming software can now slap you in the face too. I always ensure I wear a hard hat and safety goggles whilst playing.

I have a similar policy for these forums.

~EW

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’d pick it over shooting unicorn ammunition any day. I like the design a lot.

~EW

It’s not specifically bad. It’s a combination of over the top crossed with generic crossed with ‘already have on another gemstore’ weapon’s feature. It’s frantically trying to be something important, while missing the mark.

But if you like it, then knock yourself out getting it. /shrug.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

Another legendary I won’t be getting.

Yup. Will stick with the dreamer and aether skins.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

… kitten. That looks awful.

Posted by: Cirrion.8951

Cirrion.8951

Thx for the pic however I can’t possibly think of an instance where this thing receives any actual hype. Thieves and Rangers and short bow isn’t even the most used weapon by either class either.

Unless ANET slaps on short bow on the majority future Elite specs if the game lasts that long or the even more radical idea of Anet expanding on the weapons and skills of the base classes.

At the end of the day it’s the last legendary that can only be used by two classes who barely use the weapon class. It probably would’ve been better if it was an aquatic because more classes would at least be able to equip it.

SB is by far the most commonly equipped weapon for Thieves. Nearly every build, power or condi, will have a SB equipped.

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Yep, it looks like a joke. So legendary my kitten
It better have some amazing fx to make up for it.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

I like the bow but I’m worried about the arrow you see fired during the trailer, for a start it was blue which does not fit the bow at all, having said that you do not see it actually fired from the bow, so that is a bit confusing, I hope it is not fired from the legendary SB though because it looked extremely underwhelming and not fitting at all.

Posted by: Cbomb.4310

Cbomb.4310

Id wait until you see the effects and stuff in-game before really judging it.

I like the Astra axe but.. I coincidentally use the zodiac axe on the 1 character I’d consider using it on.
I like HOPE but use the aether pistol on anything Id use that skin on too, which again.. similar enough.
Prolly the most unique one is Nevermore, but if I got it, it’d be replacing a dreamthistle staff character.

I think all the legendaries are.. ‘legendary’ enough by the standards of any other legendary. They may share similar’ish color palettes or themes of current weapons but they’re clearly more involved. Again, I’d wait to get a real preview of the weapon before moaning about it. Its just a quick ‘teaser’.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Didn’t Linsey Murdock specifically state that it takes about 1 month for one legendary.

Somehow, post-HoT, the production rate became 1/5th of what it was.

And the skin isn’t all that fancy compared to the first three.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

Yea, for me, the first 3, n now 4 aren’t too unique as far as their design. Only things that really stand out on em are the sound effects and projectiles. Like, running around, I’d never notice someone with one of the new legendaries until I hear the SFX, assuming I’m not listening to music.

This, coupled with how much more effort it takes to make one compared to the older legendaries, makes them even more “meh” for me.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

So bulky, i guess even a Norn would have problem shooting with that!

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Didn’t Linsey Murdock specifically state that it takes about 1 month for one legendary.

Somehow, post-HoT, the production rate became 1/5th of what it was.

And the skin isn’t all that fancy compared to the first three.

Well one skin takes approx. 1 month.
However they work on several at once, which means their work is divided on them.
Combine that with other problems it easily explains why it didn’t work.

In fact we don’t know the state of the others, just that they aren’t as ready as they should be.

As for fancy.
I agree. Still like it somehow.
We still need to see it in action.

Furthermore it still is more “reasonable” than the pony bow.

I mean the raven is also pretty simple. A bird on a stick with some effects. The druid completed weapon is more detailed

(edited by Jaken.6801)

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Precursor maybe?

It has an aura; that’s definitely the finished legendary.
Here’s a gif from the same reddit user as the OP picture: https://gfycat.com/BewitchedForkedGentoopenguin

Precursors with effects and auras maybe?

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Fade to Black.7042

Fade to Black.7042

Not worthy of legendary looking, guewss its another legendary i’ll not bother doing.

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Hideous looking.

Now I can waste my materials on something else.

SBI

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

I miss over the top silly legendary weapons.

Posted by: Jhoul.6923

Jhoul.6923

This is why I suggested that the Elite Specs should have been designed around the least used weapons when the expansion was announced… But yeah… w/e.

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

It looks hideous to me. But, I’m sure someone out there will like (other than the designer).

SBI

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

The perpetual conundrum of MMO gear design; how to create visually observable progress, yet avoiding, on the top end, items that are just disproportionate and preposterous?
Not that I could offer an answer. ^.^
Oh, and IMO that thing is, on top of that, just hideous.

Attachments:

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

so yes… the shortbow legendary… the ONLY one that we get for a long time now looks like a gemstore skin with aura. Not sure if its irony..but i sure do get a chuckle out of it.

Look.. its not like i dont like it, in fact it does look great…but this isnt a legendary to me.
Lemme know when you make a set of them for the gemstore, id surely love a dagger in that style.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Gemstore weapons are generally more appealing than in-game weapons, and this looks like something out of the gemstore.

So, that’s both a good thing and a bad thing.

To get a gemstore-quality item without having to buy gems is lovely, in case we were talking about, you know, a normal item and not a legendary.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

Posted by: Zodryn.4216

Zodryn.4216

I know it’s not even out yet, but the model has three major issues in my opinion.

1. Crimson Lion skins overlap with the theme too much (you can keep a lion theme without so much overlap). Would you release an entire BL weapon set that was planetarium themed, with a scepter that looked like a slightly different, smaller version of Meteorlogicus with less effects? I’d hope not.

2. The model is generally not very distinctive. Other legendaries have unique models that set them apart, even without their special effects. Some others are a bit generic, but it’s ok because there aren’t other skins the same theme competing with them.

3. This is personal taste, but the bow is huge! It seems like there is just too much bulk.

I’m sure the last thing the devs want to hear is a bunch of complaining when they’ve likely put a lot of work into this. I think it’s a cool idea, and I’m thankful they made it. I was really looking forward to a serious SB legendary for my thief, and I think with some tweaks this could be it. As is, though, it feels too similar to other content to motivate me to make it.

Posted by: Nocta.5274

Nocta.5274

As a Thief main, I was really hyped about a more serious looking shortbow. This… is not what i was expecting.

It looks way too big and bulky, nothing about how it looks screams Legendary to me. I’m really sad. i was already farming for weeks to make it. now I’m not sure anymore.

Characters :
Nooctae ( Thief ) / Encelya ( Engineer ) / Jane Crimson ( Elementalist ) / Kowywr ( Revenant )
Europe, Vizunah.

Zodryn.4216

The perpetual conundrum of MMO gear design; how to create visually observable progress, yet avoiding, on the top end, items that are just disproportionate and preposterous?
Not that I could offer an answer. ^.^
Oh, and IMO that thing is, on top of that, just hideous.

That image is perfect.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Or have it shoot biceps so people really get how masculine it is now.

As hilarious as this would be, people would get offended by “shooting masculinity” at people, so it’s unfortunately very unlikely, despite being a hilarious pun and counterpart troll to the dreamer (though I would feel bad for shortbow owners at that point having at least two troll legendaries).

Posted by: AysonCurrax.3254

AysonCurrax.3254

The new legendary short bow, Shoehorned-in-Crappystuff

Posted by: MadVisions.4529

MadVisions.4529

actually 2 classes use showtbow so it is used by the least professions in a draw with riffle.
both users are medium armor, skirmisher style slippery designed “skinny”-type professions. Now we get a huge xmastree design that fits to no wardrobe composition i can imagine for my thief or ranger.
well wasted 6month design imo. all i like about it are the colors this faar. i hope i fall in love with the effects or i have to book this as another massive failure.

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

Before you say they actually put effort into the newest legendary weapons…

Nevermore was a skin that was data-mined all the way back in 2013(see 2012), they just took it and decided it should be a legendary weapon. Aura and Footsteps added.

Astralaria’s aura is just a copy of Twilight but turned Black&Blue instead of Black&Red. Very dull Axe design without the aura.

I do give credit for HOPE though, specially for people who just cannot stand the sound/looks of Quip.

Unless it shoots out Tigers or something similarly impressive, the new Legendary Shortbow so far does not look promising. It resembles BL weapons so much and there are only 2 professions that can use Shortbow, one of which rarely even sees use in PvE, PvP or WvW.

Posted by: Sird.4536

Sird.4536

This looks like the Crimson short bow from the BLC with an aura. 6 months for this lol. No wonder the legendary team got disbanded.

RP enthusiast

Posted by: xiiliea.9356

xiiliea.9356

Just change the texture to something like Zenith Short Bow, but with a reddish hue. It just looks bad currently with its dull red with a barely visible aura. Even my Zenith Short Bow looks better than it.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

This seems to pop into my mind for some reason. Maybe it’s an evolved form. (pic)

I need to see it in action for a complete opinion but I wasn’t really feeling it by first impression. It feels like it’s design clashes with itself and looked too cluttered and abstract. From the first frontal view the lions (why are there lions on it?) were hard to make out from that position. The coloring actually made me think of some spongy organ and stood out too much from the rest of it instead of feeling any form of unity like Dreamer achieves. Is the red streams supposed to be fire with the “eye of the tiger” in the center, because it looks like it’s trying to be that and not doing it hard enough… Also since SB is primarily a Thief weapon it doesn’t seem to suit the class much being so huge and thick, I guess it’ll be reserved for Rangers who’ll never use it. I also agree that it looks too much like other bows already in game.

Attachments:

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

The last hope for me to consider buying HoT had been the possibility of added bow and medium armor skins. I am not fond of vertical map design, nor of platforming game elements. I found the Druid to be uninteresting as well. But I am more rhan willing to spend $50 on an expansion filled with desirable new weapon and armor skins for me to hunt. This bow seems likely to be the nail in the coffin for that hope. It looks like no money from me until the next expansion (if then).

Just a flesh wound.3589

That’s the sort of thing you get when it’s designed by a committee rather than one person. Each person in the committee has to put his stamp on the finished product.

Designing by committee
“Let’s put a tiger on it”
“Two tigers, one on each side”
“Thorns would show it’s from HoT.”
“It needs to stand out, so let’s put lots of thorns and branches on it”
“Red is my favorite color so let’s make it red”
“And a red aura”
“Make sure the tigers are red”
“Put that shield design in front of the hand”

And a Legendary Shortbow is born.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Don’t tell anyone, but I kinda like it.

Uh oh…I’ve been spotted… aaaaaaaaa cheese it!!

Posted by: AysonCurrax.3254

AysonCurrax.3254

The last hope for me to consider buying HoT had been the possibility of added bow and medium armor skins. I am not fond of vertical map design, nor of platforming game elements. I found the Druid to be uninteresting as well. But I am more rhan willing to spend $50 on an expansion filled with desirable new weapon and armor skins for me to hunt. This bow seems likely to be the nail in the coffin for that hope. It looks like no money from me until the next expansion (if then).

but why give your players a chance to earn skins they like ingame, when you could make them gamble for them 1,50~ € a try, to get halfbaked skins they dont want anyways? -anet logic.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

There is nothing wrong with you liking it. I am glad that Anet added a skin that someone likes. Its just not for me. To each their own.

Zodryn.4216

That’s the sort of thing you get when it’s designed by a committee rather than one person. Each person in the committee has to put his stamp on the finished product.

Designing by committee
“And a red aura”

I’m pretty sure they are not thorns, but flames. Potentially meant to look like a mane as well. I actually like that aspect, but the lions on each side make it too bulky and similar to the crimson lion set. If nothing else, those should be removed or changed.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Designing by committee
“And a red aura”

I’m pretty sure they are not thorns, but flames. Potentially meant to look like a mane as well. I actually like that aspect, but the lions on each side make it too bulky and similar to the crimson lion set. If nothing else, those should be removed or changed.

If the bow is named after two tigers, why would it have lions or something that looks like a mane?

Anyway, flames or thorns. It looks like a design by committee. Which was the point I was trying to make, not specific details of what it’s composed of.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

There is nothing wrong with you liking it. I am glad that Anet added a skin that someone likes. Its just not for me. To each their own.

It’s a shame my thief doesn’t use shortbow atm and that he uses a different colour scheme lol. Still, if everyone hates it and I make one…I would look unique

Posted by: Sphinx.8014

Sphinx.8014

When I saw the front view I thought it was kinda ugly, however I do like the side view very much. I will wait until I see it ingame for a final decision on whether to build it or not. I am lucky enough to be among those who main a thief and can therefore actually use this weapon…:D

Edit: I am actually curious to see the precursor for this one.