Feedback/Questions: MegaServer

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

Moderators, WHY ARE CRITICAL “MEGASERVER” THREADS BEING DELETED?

With such an utter game changing feature over a year since release – we need the space to voice our opinions.
I went to reply to two threads only to find them gone, and the original thread posts aren’t even here.

Its because they want all feedback in one thread. Make it easier for devs to follow, or so they say…

Without the posts being merged fully? Those threads brought some pretty valid criticism.
It is pathetic to see censorship like this.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

This entire feature is better for Guild Wars 2 community as whole,

How? The only advantage this has is if you go to some back water map where nothing happens and you can probably solo everything with ease you may see a few extra people. You can already gain the same benefit by making a party.

The disadvantages are a lot bigger.

Please give me a list of the disadvantages rather than just “a lot bigger”

Destroys RP community, destroys server communities, the champ train in Queensdale (aka the most likely starter zone for new people) will be 10x larger and probably 100x more antagonistic to people not doing the right order, puts in an unneeded layer of complication to organizing server events, can’t use overflows to get your entire guild into one map to do an organized boss run, etc.

Crystal Desert is the unofficial LGBT server and I don’t see anyone complaining that their server community is now ruined, it appears only the RP player seem to be complaining. One could argue that guesting has already ruined server communities.

There’s nothing stopping normal players rolling into TC and trolling now, there are no rules enforced on RP servers at all since they are not officially recognized by ArenaNet.

No matter what ArenaNet releases, there’s always going to be a negative side. You guys have to just accept change. Being that there are no dedicated RP realms, ArenaNet is not obligated to do anything.

I think you guys are being a little over-dramatic.

I think it should mostly be ok, but the problem isn’t exactly that there’s an influx of non-roleplayers, which seems to be what most non-roleplayers think is the problem. The problem is that it may be more difficult for NEW roleplayers who don’t know that TC is the unofficial RP server: they can’t then decide to guest over to TC to roleplay. They’d have to transfer. (As far as I understand how this will work.) Not only that, but scattering roleplayers makes it difficult for walk-up roleplay outside your guild, which is how a lot of roleplay happens, how you meet new guilds, etc.

So it’s not so much ‘ugh those kittenant non-roleplayers’, it’s ‘how do people who are not already in the community find us if you can’t guest to our specific world anymore’? And ‘if we’re getting split through random servers (though it should still weight us by community, thank goodness) how will we do big community events?’

That’s our concern. Being able to do community-specific things (because there is no way to weight criteria by an ‘rp’ tag) may be more difficult now.

Anyway, I don’t think we should be dismissed and mocked: we built one of the most active servers in the game, and we are one of the few demographics who will stick by a stagnant game and create new content for ourselves to tide us over until the next update (which is part of why TC has stayed so active). One headcount put us well around 7-8k players (correction: 10k plus as of more recently) and that was, what, a year ago? And we’ve lost some, but we’ve gained a lot of new roleplayers since then. We also tend to buy a lot of stuff from the gem shop, especially new outfits.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

(edited by Sylv.5324)

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I wonder if we will ever see an announcement about anything that will not involve people shouting about how much it will suck.

Funnily enough we see people that have earlier demanded something like this, now whining about it being implemented.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Urxx.6840

Urxx.6840

This feature is being added to try and hide the fact this game’s PVE is dying.

It’s basically a smarter kind of server consolidation, where they mask what’s going on under the hood and how unpopulated some servers are.

It works better if you launch your game with this feature, rather that adding it halfway, but at this point it was probably needed.

And I can’t help but finding it really desperate, with the shameless feature name and idea stealing from Zenimax and all.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

If you guys at ANet really had to steal this idea from Elder Scrolls Online, you could at least have changed the name of the feature.

And Elder Scroll Online has “stolen” if from Champions Online, that has already a Mega-Server since release in 2009

And with the guesting function here, i always thought that we had indeed something like a mega-server already, and the only reason to have different server was just for WvW.

However i’m not really in favor of the system if everything is done automatically and we don’t have any control to choose a specific instance of a zone.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

For those saying “don’t worry you’ll have better chances at playing with your server/guild/party/etc”, it’s still a chance.

All this achieves is shoving you with people in a map that you likely have the same characteristics in paper(guild/party/language/home server), but what if you wanna guest and play with people or commanders in that server for PvE, and then on your home server to play WvW with people or commanders in that server?

We all know how it was for WvW for more than a year before it was transparent to people how queues work and finally fixed(cheatingbeating the queue via taxis, in other words, buggy and unfair as hell).

Having another black box(in other words RNG) for determining what “megaserver” we end up on doesn’t really sit well for people who want to be in specific servers for whatever they do(RP’ing, farming, WvW’ing). RNG might work for precursors and other stuff to a certrain extent, but putting it on what server we play a map on is another thing :/

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

Only problem is that TTS is actually 12 (maybe 13 now?) different guilds. Sure we all have the same tag, but we belong to different tts guilds. How are they going to work?

I am in the EU version, TxS.
We have 4 sub-guilds and very concerned about these changes …

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Posted by: Krassix.4017

Krassix.4017

What I’m mostly concerned about are organized server raids on bosses like Tequatl and Wurm. How difficult will it be to organize kills with this in place?

lordkrall.7241

And I can’t help but finding it really desperate, with the shameless feature name and idea stealing from Zenimax and all.

Ah yes, because games released years before ESO was even announced didn’t have those features and that very name.
Oh wait..

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

I wonder if we will ever see an announcement about anything that will not involve people shouting about how much it will suck.

Funnily enough we see people that have earlier demanded something like this, now whining about it being implemented.

A lot of us wanted districts like GW1. We didn’t want a World of Warcraft ‘Connected Realms’ cloned system. Districts give you a choice. The megaserver doesn’t and makes the decision for you. It’s not at all what I wanted.

Posted by: Awbee.8405

Awbee.8405

What about things like “today at 7 PM, there will be an event on [Server], everyone is invited!”

How can such things even happen anymore with megaservers?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

This kind of post baffles me. If someone was complaining of freezing to death would you really be surprised if they complained that you then set them on fire?

No where near the same thing, but humorous none the less.

Them putting together a solution for a problem won’t necessarily fix every aspect of that problem and it doesn’t mean that it won’t introduce its own set of new problems.

They did point out that they aren’t just rolling it out to the whole world and calling it good either. They are doing cities, the pvp lobby, and 4 to 5 zones (not sure if they will include QD as a 1-17, since it specifically says 1-15). They are going to see how that goes, and tweak from there. They aren’t simply setting us on a fire. They are giving us some gatorade and seeing how we react to it. Is it helping with the hypothermia? Should they continue administering it? Etc

For example, they’re no longer called overflows but how are they different from overflows, especially once they start to “fill up”? We’ll have to see how this system handles a few thousand people from different guilds and different servers trying to get into the same world map over, say, a 15 minute period in preparation for a Tequatl attempt, for example.

I’d taken note of the part about no longer having overflows too. And that new map copies will be made as necessary. It sounds closer to GW1 districting, minus the ability to choose your district, with the additional data analysis on the back end to try and ‘place you’ in the best matching instance. However, we’ll see how it goes. It depends on how well the data aggregation works in conjunction with the load balancing. In the mean time, I’m not going to start leaping around screaming ‘foul’ when I don’t have the whole picture.

We shall see what the next couple of posts about WvW and world bosses bring (and also dungeon and temple unlocks, presumably) but although I like the general idea here, I’m not convinced that it’ll work right.

Right. There’s a lot we don’t know and they haven’t told us. (Not that I can blame them honestly). Like I said, not leaping around screaming ‘foul’ when I don’t have the whole picture (like many already are). I want to see what they have to say about the other sections of game play. I want to see how the data agg actually pans out. Etc

I get what they are trying to do. I fully expect it to be full of kinks that need ironing out.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Priest.4597

Priest.4597

Please, give us an option to check a box somewhere that says “RP”. Put us on maps primarily with other people who also checked “RP”.

I support this suggestion. It is similar to guild and friend affiliation checks.

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

I always enjoy a quiet map.

I can switch off chats but I can’t switch off those people running around.

My quiet, quiet Grove. My peaceful Caledon Forest where I know an event is very likely waiting if I need to do one for some reason.
My place. It’s like the ground my characters stand on is never the same one again.

I also feel for the roleplayers. I’m not one but I care about my characters and think about how they might fit in the world. I never have talked to anyone on Piken but it’s nice to think that these people around here might care about similar things as I do.

…I definetely never needed or wanted to see gigantic masses of random people around.

let the sky fall

Posted by: Ellie.5203

Ellie.5203

I would like more info on how this will affect world bosses and large events (and i mean ones that are organised on TS and pick a dedicated server for us all to goto etc because believe it or not we are not all from same guild/home world/friends list….).. Anet claim it will help because it means more players will be on the map at any time..

Ok here is the problem.. you could place 500 players on the same boss/map, but if none of them bother to learn the tactics or just stand around doing nothing/going afk/twiddling their thumbs/, waiting for other people to do all the work, it wont make a slight bit of difference and the people putting in real effort suffer for it,

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

“…I definetely never needed or wanted to see gigantic masses of random people around.”
HOW?!

I mean, one of the biggest issues with PvE is that you feel that you are playing a SinglePlayer MMO, Group events are rarely done if you’re not on the “farm maps”, make the game feel alive, with a lot of people moving around is what it needs, reminds me when this game launched, everybody having fun while playing PvE, thing we now lost.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Urxx.6840

Urxx.6840

And Elder Scroll Online has “stolen” if from Champions Online, that has already a Mega-Server since release in 2009

And with the guesting function here, i always thought that we had indeed something like a mega-server already, and the only reason to have different server was just for WvW.

However i’m not really in favor of the system if everything is done automatically and we don’t have any control to choose a specific instance of a zone.

I don’t know Champions Online, but the fact they just announced they are adopting the same technology of a major MMO that is currently in early access phase and is launching in two days, and they are calling this “new feature” exactly the same, makes all this appear like Elder Scrolls Online scares the heck out of them.

Since they have the user access stats and we don’t, it makes me think things aren’t very rosey for GW2. Seems like a desperate move to revert some sort of downspiral.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

What if I want to play with the people from my homeserver only, though? There are a lot of people I know, who aren’t on my friendslist, who aren’t in my guild, yet have the same interests as me. Will I just have to be lucky to be put in the same world as them? Will I have to deal with people from other servers I quite literally couldn’t care less about?
I’m not trying to be the partypooper here, and I’ll wait for more updates and until I’ve seen it in action, but this could very well mean the end of roleplaying in Guild Wars 2, and thus, the end for a lot of players.

I do hope servers will remain to work as they do now; people from your server getting absolute priority to be in the same world, and I also hope cities, at least, will stay out of this. We don’t need trolls in our RP.

Edit: And I know that roleplayers make up a tiny portion of the playerbase, hence my asking instead of me stating that we’re being beeped over. Again, waiting until we get more info. It’s just the the first impression scares me.

This -
I love my home server, I already run into the same people all over the world- that is why they are on my friends list in the first place.
I have come to love some players even though they are not on my list because I see them so often.

All this does is create one big mishmash, it destroys server identity completely. Make no mistake servers do have different identities.

I have no desire for some mega server to decide where to put me- just for the sake of having more random people on whichever map I happen to be on.
I’d rather be alone honestly

I picked Gunnar’s Hold in beta- it is my home- not only do I not have a personal house, now I will in reality to longer have my beloved homeserver

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

Anet brought some this on themselves by stretching the kitten announcement for days rather than providing their customers all the information at once.

Posted by: Krassix.4017

Krassix.4017

I would like more info on how this will affect world bosses and large events (and i mean ones that are organised on TS and pick a dedicated server for us all to goto etc because believe it or not we are not all from same guild/home world/friends list….).. Anet claim it will help because it means more players will be on the map at any time..

Ok here is the problem.. you could place 500 players on the same boss/map, but if none of them bother to learn the tactics or just stand around doing nothing/going afk/twiddling their thumbs/, waiting for other people to do all the work, it wont make a slight bit of difference and the people putting in real effort suffer for it,

Yes this needs to be addressed by the devs. This needs to still be possible or there will be a lot of upset players that do organized raiding.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

It seems to me that server mergers + underflow servers would have been an easy and better solution without nearly so many issues. My guess is that the Execs and Marketing guys wouldn’t ok mergers since it sends a bad message, so we get this instead.

I guess we will have to wait and see what the next two days of details are, but this seems like an overly complicated way of just merging servers.

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

“…I definetely never needed or wanted to see gigantic masses of random people around.”
HOW?!

I mean, one of the biggest issues with PvE is that you feel that you are playing a SinglePlayer MMO, Group events are rarely done if you’re not on the “farm maps”, make the game feel alive, with a lot of people moving around is what it needs, reminds me when this game launched, everybody having fun while playing PvE, thing we now lost.

I’m talking about the zerg sized masses. 30 + in one spot. In fact that kills my computers. I had forgotten about that…
And I have always avoided those boss events.

let the sky fall

lordkrall.7241

Anet brought some this on themselves by stretching the kitten announcement for days rather than providing their customers all the information at once.

Oh, we would have just as much whining even if we had gotten all of them on the same day.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: The Master.2893

The Master.2893

+1 for ZeniMax/Elder Scrolls Online

I would never imagine that ANY game would ever go about the megaserver concept other then ESO (which I am currently playing).

Why are Megaservers EVIL?

1. Trying to find people is impossible: This concept is difficult to understand until you have played a game with a Megaserver alas… Is there some magic math formula to find people? Maybe. But without ensuring that the same players are on the same server finding people becomes natually impossible without a /who command. What if you want to find a “casual friend”? Perhaps someone you talked to before but not a formal /friend just some intersting poster on /map. GL with that.

2. Say Goodbye to Roleplaying right now… assuming there is any in GW2. Being mixed around will just destroy the nature of a single “RP” server/realm. Want to find a random RP session simply by walking around Divinity’s Reach? Good Luck with that.

3. Player Population: Sometime you want to play on a lower population server and NOT have 1235423047810748 players running around. A “megaserver” means that you will always have minions running around whether or not you want it.

4. Dynamic Events: Now they claim they have a solution to this problem but if the server you on will be random I don’t see how this problem can be avoided. I will wait and see ArenaNet’s response on the matter.

5. Destruction of Server “Loyality”: With a single server there are no longer server loyalties. In fact now “home worlds” are simply WvW tools only and have no other use.

6. Connection Issues: Megaservers are natually not as stable as normal servers. Disconnecting or lag while zoning is far more common as experienced in ESO or with WoW’s “Cross Realm Zone” mechanics. Whether GW’s system would be stable or not is undefined.

7. Unable to play with Friends: What happens if your friends are split up on different “shards” or otherwise worlds? Trying to get all of you on the same server is a nightmare. For example you have 2 parties of players. Because they are not the “same party” it is possible that you will be placed on different zones. Trying to “sync up” players on a server now requires some brain power.

Look I probably could go on and on but you get the point. As a player of ESO I know that Megaserver concept is EVIL and causes more problems. Why am I playing ESO? PvP pure and simple (which btw isn’t a megaserver). If ArenaNet wants to copy somthing from ESO then copy the shear size of ESO’s PvP map which as at least 4x the size of Eternal Battlegrounds with epic large scale combat. Whatever you do copy ESO’s megaserver.

I know Player Population is an issue… nevertheless the solution to this problem is to CLOSE DOWN SERVERS. IDK why video game companies (such as Blizzard/WoW) think doing this == /doom but it doesn’t. GW2 has gamewide name reservation so this wouldnt’ even be that hard either.

Mates: I simply don’t want the “social experience” of GW2 to be ruined like ESO’s is. This Megaserver is simply Evil. Alas no matter: yet another “World Domination experiement” of ArenaNet…

Indeed it is so…

THE MASTER HAS SPOKEN!

(edited by The Master.2893)

Max Lexandre.6279

HOW?!

I’m talking about the zerg sized masses. 30 + in one spot. In fact that kills my computers. I had forgotten about that…
And I have always avoided those boss events.

Oh yes, i was also hoping ANet would at once address the major zerg-lag-farm trains that are just a mess of people desperate to give some hits to the mobs.

Asura thing.

Elbegast.6970

HOW?!

Are there 20 people AFK on your front lawn at the moment? Would you want 20 people to be AFK on your front lawn at any given moment? Seeing fewer people in the game world is far more immersive than seeing armies of zerg running around every corner.

lordkrall.7241

It seems to me that server mergers + underflow servers would have been an easy and better solution without nearly so many issues. My guess is that the Execs and Marketing guys wouldn’t ok mergers since it sends a bad message, so we get this instead.

I guess we will have to wait and see what the next two days of details are, but this seems like an overly complicated way of just merging servers.

I would say that server merges would be a rather bad idea. Seeing as it would screw up WvW quite a bit. Especially in the middle of a season.

In order for server merges to work they need to remove servers in clusters of 3, which complicates things quite a bit.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: storiessave.3807

storiessave.3807

I’m not sure what to think of this change yet, to be honest.

My main concern is how it’s going to deal with World Bosses. As someone else said, if we port to a zone where a boss is about to spawn, and get put into another “copy” of that map, it would really be a terrible design if that “copy” has a completely different timer.

They said they’ll address how it’s going to work with WBs, though, so I guess we just have to wait and see. In any case, I’m glad they’re just testing this in lower level zones to start with.

Tarnished Coast

Catorii | Lustre Delacroix | Catorii Desmarais | Synalie

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I don’t know Champions Online, but the fact they just announced they are adopting the same technology of a major MMO that is currently in early access phase and is launching in two days, and they are calling this “new feature” exactly the same, makes all this appear like Elder Scrolls Online scares the heck out of them.

Gw2 has had this tech from the beginning. All this is, is main servers turned off and everyone in overflows.

Posted by: MightyMicah.7451

MightyMicah.7451

People really do complain about everything…

This is that new sound. Ya’ll ain’t ready.

Max Lexandre.6279

HOW?!

Are there 20 people AFK on your front lawn at the moment? Would you want 20 people to be AFK on your front lawn at any given moment? Seeing fewer people in the game world is far more immersive than seeing armies of zerg running around every corner.

As i just said, i agree that this merge to have more people on the maps to spread around the events. Another story is about the zerg-lag-farm trains on certain maps that cause major issues, that is not addressed by this system and i hope ANet is looking at this because the events were never designed to this to happen.

Be aware there’s changes incoming to the World Bosses, and many of the farm is at temples, so let’s wait and see.

Asura thing.

Posted by: Maximus Delion.8719

Maximus Delion.8719

One final piece that’s missing is a “manually override” that lets you select your own map instance, similar to how we could choose our district in GW1 towns and outposts. If you’re trying to organize a multi-guild boss raid or group event you can specify in advance “meet in Queensdale District 4” or something like that. Or if you’re feeling like playing solo and want a less populated map, pick the highest district number and you’ll probably get a less populated map.

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

My first thought was: Say bye to the freedom of choice, say hello to paternalism.

I do not like the idea the system decides what is the best for me. Sometimes I want to decide it by myself. Can I put a veto on system’s decision?

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Next

Just want to quickly add for those who missed it, we’ll be covering the answers to the bulk of the questions in this thread in the blogs over the next two days after today.

We’ll also continue to monitor and adapt the megaserver system once it’s fully enabled to ensure it provides the best experience possible, so once you’ve seen it in action please make sure to leave comments, feedback, and suggestions as always!

Posted by: Leap.2760

Leap.2760

I am concerned about this because I transferred to the unofficial RP server, but many people on my friendslist are from my old server, or other servers for running dungeons. I DO NOT want to be put back on my old server (unless I am guesting over to visit them on occasion). I paid real money (gems) to move myself to a new community to escape the old drama.
I have no RP guild because I rely on random encounters in divinity’s reach, or previously Lion’s arch. I don’t usually add all of those people to my friendlist, but this system seems like I will have to.
I think this is great for open world PvE, but it seems like it will destroy the community we worked hard to accomplish. I command for TC sometimes and love using our servers’ mumble channel. When I run to Edge of the mists, all of that is useless and you have to command by typing only, or in your mumble server with ONLY your guildies. I believe this will limit the number of people to play with, as it make organization near impossible.

So, yes this seems like it would be fun for those low population servers, and for many world boss encounters, EXCEPT the megafights like Teq and wurm. I just wish it didn’t apply to cities because I have a hunch it’ll pair me with my old server mates and I wont be able to find new RP-ers, or have the familiarity of my community as I know it.

Posted by: aRestless.6213

aRestless.6213

I’m concerned about “server organized events”. E.g. on Drakkar Lake there’s a Karka Queen Raid each day at 10pm, Tequatl three days a week, you get the idea. Where’s the common ground for events like these? Do we have to join one giant guild for these things?

Never lose track of your friends again, with Who’s Talking for Overwolf

Elbegast.6970

Just want to quickly add for those who missed it, we’ll be covering the answers to the bulk of the questions in this thread in the blogs over the next two days after today.

We’ll also continue to monitor and adapt the megaserver system once it’s fully enabled to ensure it provides the best experience possible, so once you’ve seen it in action please make sure to leave comments, feedback, and suggestions as always!

It’s too late for answers, Colin. I’m done with this game. As soon as I saw the word ‘Megaserver’ I knew my time in GW2 was over. If I can’t play on the realm I chose, I don’t want to play at all.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Only problem is that TTS is actually 12 (maybe 13 now?) different guilds. Sure we all have the same tag, but we belong to different tts guilds. How are they going to work?

I am in the EU version, TxS.
We have 4 sub-guilds and very concerned about these changes …

I should have specified its the NA TTS ‘guild’. Sorry bout that. But yeah, I’m concerned for when they put (if they do) this megaserver thing into the big world boss maps (bloodtide, sparkfly, frostgorge, Shatterer map (can’t think of it right now), and any of the others that get big enough to cause overflows).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

One thing I seriously hate is when I enter a map, and the map chat is being spammed in German, French, Spanish, Italian, etc.

Sometimes you ask nicely if they could keep it in English, but they just ignore you and keep spamming in their own language.

This ’’chance’’ of getting in the same map like these kind of players will increase even more, and it will annoy the hell out of me.

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

I know Player Population is an issue… nevertheless the solution to this problem is to CLOSE DOWN SERVERS.

I think that someone doesn’t understand the concept of cloud and scalability and the clear advantages to it for both the user and the service provider. Can I therefore return your laugh (see title) to yourself?

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Posted by: Paffus Piffus.9430

Paffus Piffus.9430

How will this impact performance for those of us with lower tier PC’s? For those people this could actually make things less playable? I’m sure this has been considered but wanted to find out, it’s worrying that performance will drop from overcrowding?

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

I’d suggest releasing all the info now, otherwise you’re going to have a real storm on your hands for the next two days.

lordkrall.7241

It’s too late for answers, Colin. I’m done with this game. As soon as I saw the word ‘Megaserver’ I knew my time in GW2 was over. If I can’t play on the realm I chose, I don’t want to play at all.

To be fair you have been “done with this game” about 5 times since release, and yet you are still here. So clearly people won’t take your “threats” seriously.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Max Lexandre.6279

The title ends with “when?” for a reason.

It’s when will ArenaNet address this issue?

I believe we all know what a Zerg-Lag-Farm Train is, and how it causes the events to be a confusion of desperate people trying to hit the mobs, also causes events to be not even a challenge anymore, no matter how high their scaling go.

One certain thing is: Events were never designed to this to happen.

MegaServers are something good for the majority of players that usually likes exploring on lower level maps but rarely finds someone to play with as everyone is on the so-called, farm-zones.

But MegaServers will likely intensify this practice, and i don’t want to play PvE on the middle of lag with major zergs just for the farm, as i still want, to have some fun playing GW2 events.

Asura thing.

(edited by Max Lexandre.6279)

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Hey ANET,

Please don’t cave into the complaints.

Some of us here have been asking for an underflow system awhile, and some of us here want to play in level 50-60 zones again, and play the game how it was intended: Events.

Posted by: OtakuDFifty.2965

OtakuDFifty.2965

People really do complain about everything…

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

1. How would you find that person in the current system? There’s nothing changin here.
2. The system still groups players from RP servers together. Not everyone on an RP server is an RPer though, they already are playing with non-RPers. Not much of a change there either.
3. Good point! Player caps per map will have to be adjusted so that maps are populated, but not crowded. For example, current cap is likely too much, if you remember the crowding at launch.
4. No idea what problem you’re talking about. The DE system actually makes a lot more sense in a megaserver infrastructure, as it doesn’t have most of the problems of a traditional quest system or phasing.
5. Worlds are already only relevant for WvW, again hardly anything changes.
6. Not a problem. GW2 server infrastructure was already working kind of like a megaserver before. That’s what enabled guesting and cross-realm dungeons. The separation into worlds was pretty much artificial to begin with. This new system is just more efficient in handling low population maps.
7. If they are your friends, the system already puts you on the same map to begin with.

I know Player Population is an issue… nevertheless *the solution to this problem is to CLOSE DOWN SERVERS.

The problem isn’t population, it’s distribution. Closing servers doesn’t fix that problem at all.

(edited by Naqaj.6219)

Posted by: The Master.2893

The Master.2893

Guys: If you think this concept is goona be a cakewalk you are in for a rude awakening… A megaserver makes the final observed social experience WORSE not better.

THE MASTER HAS SPOKEN!

Elbegast.6970

To be fair you have been “done with this game” about 5 times since release, and yet you are still here. So clearly people won’t take your “threats” seriously.

Would you like me to reinstall the game and take screenshots of my empty achievement panel? I can, in fact, be done with the game and still post on the forums.

Posted by: Xehara.8537

Xehara.8537

Thank you for your reply Colin Johanson. Hopefully the worries are just a matter of not fully understanding the changes. I will eagerly await those blog posts.

Writer, role player.