Feedback/Questions: Town clothes, Costumes, & Combat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lorelia.3015

Lorelia.3015

Just keep the old implementation or convert them to armor skins!

I don’t really want to do it, but if things do not change I’ll ask a refund for every single town item I have ever bought…

And no matter what, from now on I will think twice before buying anything from the gemstore.

Semper Nox Redit. Quoque Redibo.

Posted by: Combination NC.9813

Combination NC.9813

It also makes little sense to have them in the wardrobe for transmutation, but not being able to combine them with the wintersday outfit. They were pretty much made for them, and if they weren’t, then they should have been. What else would you pair the earmuffs with?

Now that I think about it, they would look adorable with the female version of the Cabalist boots, what with the fur lining and pompoms and all. But with most outfits, they would look really odd, especially the female light armours. Who would wear earmuffs with their battle bikini?

Is clipping really being quoted as an excuse here? Clipping!? My Asura’s helmets don’t have ear-holes but my ears clip right through them! My weapons clip through my ubiquitous-Medium-armor-trench-coats! Charr tails don’t just clip through the fabric of their armor; they clip through the fabric of reality itself!

All observable data point to the conclusion that the GW2 player base does not mind clipping all that much.

The Sylvari medium T3 cultural clips through itself! We can deal with some clipping.

Attachments:

Knights of the Round Vegetable [SASS], Tarnished Coast.

(edited by Combination NC.9813)

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

A little added note here, Outfits will still respect the ‘hide helm’ toggle so you can absolutely wear Wintersday or Mad King outfit without the hat or pumpkin.

But we want to dye them! And mix them up with other items!

Behold the beauty of an Asura with a pink wintersday outfit and a pink quaggan hat. This has been possible for a year, and now it suddenly isn’t anymore? I thought this patch was supposed to allow us more flexibility with armor? Seriously, at least tell us why you are doing this. As it is now, I can only assume that you just hate cute Asura in pink Wintersday outfits and pink Quaggan hats. And that’s evil.

Outfits can still be dyed, They will have up to 4 dye channels depending on the outfit.

Sorry about the mix-and-match. Converting things to be armor and combat compatible did come with some trade-offs. For the most part we tried to favor mixing with armor slots and skins (a lot more possible combinations). Hopefully we’ll see more consistently usable customization now that part of it isn’t hidden in town clothes that get turned off every fight. Outfits come as a set and equip as a set with the added benefit of not costing charges or requiring items to apply onto additional characters.

Will Arenanet be offering Refunds for costumes for those of us who do not want to wear a costume as an entire set?

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: Mochi.7083

Mochi.7083

Will Arenanet be offering Refunds for costumes for those of us who do not want to wear a costume as an entire set?

Only on clothing items that have been turned into tonics.

Posted by: Banono.4597

Banono.4597

I do not like the town clothes change. Please rethink it Anet.

Devildoc.6721

I have a question I wonder if it’s been answered or not…

if you buy a gem store armor skin set.. do you have to pay for transmutation charges in order to use your new skin set?

That seems like a ripoff to me. Pay 800 gems ($10) for a set and then whatever the cost per transmutaion charges x6 to use what you already paid 800 gems for.

Posted by: Fenrina.2954

Fenrina.2954

if you buy a gem store armor skin set.. do you have to pay for transmutation charges in order to use your new skin set?

To the best of my knowledge, no.

Posted by: Kojast.6304

Kojast.6304

Pretty much everything that can be said on this topic has been mentioned at some point, but I feel compelled to add my 2 cents as well. Namely:

1) The wardrobe changes are great. The streamlining of the UI and the ability to collect skins is fantastic and does a lot for my enjoyment of the game. The way it was implemented frankly went beyond my expectations in a positive way.

2) The town clothing changes are the only part of this update so far that do not sit well with me.

As it’s clear what you did right regarding the wardrobe, I’m unfortunately going to spend the rest of my post trying to explain why I am concerned about town clothing.

First, I didn’t mind town clothing being available only out of combat. While I don’t quite understand why the distinction was made given that you could fight in a wedding dress in GW1, I nevertheless was ok with it. Maybe I am in the minority, but it was fine. It was something fun. Moreover, it was something I enjoyed enough to spend a significant amount of real world money on back when new town clothing items were one of the few consistent updates on the gem store.

Second, I really liked the option to mix and match. There is no way to say it except that this new system is a step back from where we are now, which is that we can put different items together, dye them, and equip them without losing additional space in our inventory. Now, we have to carry around tonics and toys in our bags, cannot dye the (tonic) outfits, and cannot even pick what other clothing items go along with them? Can you really honestly say that is an improvement? Moreover, do you think this is a good precedent for items that were exclusive to your pay store and that were largely purchased by early adopters of the game to support a highly optional part of the game?

I don’t want to stand in the way of positive change. Clearly there are a lot of people excited about outfits and that will hopefully lead to more sales and more support for the game. However, if the problem was town clothing not mixing with combat armor, I don’t understand why you didn’t just enable town clothing to work in combat. That way, players still have to choose between their town clothing look or their combat look, but at least the customization within both realms remained the same.

As it stands, this change makes me question the integrity of the gem store. If I can’t trust that things I buy with cash will maintain at least a recognizable semblance of the functionality I purchased, then why should I ever spend more money to support the game? I understand the Terms & Conditions indicate that all content is subject to change, and we accept those terms every time we play. But you took something that was functional and removed everything I liked about it (customization and unique looks that could not otherwise be obtained with combat armor) in order to make it do something that I never needed it to do (function in combat). In any other part of the game, that’d be disappointing but acceptable. But this was part of the cash shop. It would have been nice if the community had been solicited for their opinion before such a major alteration.

Posted by: Allaraina.8614

Allaraina.8614

I’m pretty disappointed about that. If I cannot mix and match my boots from the halloween set or others I’d rather just return them. I dislike that what I paid for is being changed in a way that diminishes well… the entire reason I bought it.

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D
http://asuratime.tumblr.com/

(edited by Allaraina.8614)

Posted by: Afro Dude.8423

Afro Dude.8423

This change is horrible if you ask me. Considering there was a “clearance sale” on many items like the Ornate Ruched Shirt & the Khaki Cargo Pants just a few months back, this feels like a major bait & switch. I’m normally not one to ask for refunds, but I definitely will in this case.

The whole thing feels like a major slap in the face to the RP community and those that have supported the game. Why couldn’t these items be skins too? If the issue is clipping, then that’s just grasping at straws on Anet’s part. Asura & Charr have major clipping issues with all sorts of gem shop & base game content. If t’s a technical issue, then why not just come out & say it?

While a lot of the features unveiled so far have been great, I’ve lost a lot of confidence here in Anet. Why pay for something in the gem shop when the devs will just arbitrarily remove it’s functionality a few months down the line?

Posted by: Hunter.8372

Hunter.8372

I think both the tonics and the change of making outfits into a single, one-piece costume is a terrible idea. This, to me, is like scrapping the entire concept of town clothes. Nobody is going to want something they can’t mix and match, nobody is going to want something they can change to suit their own tastes and preference.

Guild Wars 2 emphasizes on player experience, customization, playing how you, the player, wants to play, how you want to look, everything. And this decision is a limiting factor, a lot of people held their hopes high for town clothes, hoping the system would better itself, that we’d have a separate wardrobe tab so the clothes wouldn’t take up our precious inventory space, instead, it’s only gotten worse.

Please, PLEASE don’t even think these tonics and one-piece outfits are a good thing, so many people pride themselves on how they look, their dye combinations, their armor setup, even with town clothes, and you’re only taking that away.

I mean, hell, I’ve had so much fun with town clothes in the past, all the sorts of combinations and whatnot, I almost feel proud of myself when I walk around a group of people and get a bunch of whispers, complimenting me on how great the Ringmasters hat along with the Wintersday clothes look so great on my character, and just seeing the ability for this kind of stuff to go away, it just doesn’t make any sense to me.

Attachments:

(edited by Hunter.8372)

Posted by: plethomacademia.8265

plethomacademia.8265

I’m pretty disappointed about that. If I cannot mix and match my boots from the halloween set or others I’d rather just return them. I dislike that what I paid for is being changed in a way that diminishes well… the entire reason I bought it.

I will still be asking for a refund and I hope you will, too. This is really not an acceptable change to something that I purchased from the cash shop.

Posted by: Banono.4597

Banono.4597

As it stands, this change makes me question the integrity of the gem store. If I can’t trust that things I buy with cash will maintain at least a recognizable semblance of the functionality I purchased, then why should I ever spend more money to support the game? I understand the Terms & Conditions indicate that all content is subject to change, and we accept those terms every time we play. But you took something that was functional and removed everything I liked about it (customization and unique looks that could not otherwise be obtained with combat armor) in order to make it do something that I never needed it to do (function in combat). In any other part of the game, that’d be disappointing but acceptable. But this was part of the cash shop. It would have been nice if the community had been solicited for their opinion before such a major alteration.

Well put.

As an RPer with a in-game closet of just about all the town clothes Anet has ever made I too will lose faith in the gem store if this change goes live.

Out of all the outfits I have never used a complete set on my character. Always a mix of them and with this change I will probably just stop using the town clothes all together and be one of those people who RPs their character always in armor (Not that there is anything wrong with that).

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

should have just make “town clothes” into regular armor skins. This whole weird full set/non-combat/no mixing garbage is totally pointless.

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

let me go ahead and spell this out since you guys (devs) don’t seem to be getting the message

PEOPLE WHO WORE TOWN CLOTHES DID NOT CARE THEY ARE NOT USABLE INCOMBAT

Is that really that difficult to understand? We care a lot more about mixing and matching that giving a crap about them being usable in combat. Come on. That’s just dense.

Let me go ahead and correct you, since you don’t seem to understand you’re not speaking for everyone: A lot of people hated that town clothes couldn’t be used in combat. This is something I’ve been frustrated about since beta, and I’m supremely happy they are finally fixing it.

It is a perfect solution? No. I also wish that mixing and matching were still possible, but I understand and accept why it isn’t. I recommend you try to do the same, instead of ranting futilely about it and pretending you’re a spokesperson for the rest of us, which you aren’t.

Please read what I said carefully. I was talking about people who actually used them as they were, not “everybody as a collective”. Those among us that actually wore and used town clothes as they were, I can guarantee you the vast majority do not care they weren’t used in combat.

With that said, you say “not possible”, and that’s just not true. It IS possible, they just don’t want to bother with it, which is incredibly stupid. Skin replacement is one of the easiest things out there in coding, when the skins are already present. It’s essentially like turning a light switch.

There have been so many threads created since launch, that were about a Wardrobe and/or Town Clothes. The bulk of the posters in those threads were asking for combat-ready town clothes and refused to buy the town clothes until they were made to work in a similar fashion to Guild Wars. I believe that is why they’ve tried to make Town Clothes appealing to more people with this change.

(Yes, I see that you were talking about people that were already willing to wear the Town Clothes.)

I’m not fond of all the changes being made, but I’m still very happy that they’re taking such a large step in the right direction, with this new Wardrobe and Dye system.

Allaraina.8614

I will still be asking for a refund and I hope you will, too. This is really not an acceptable change to something that I purchased from the cash shop.

Yeah I’m with you. And uh… most of this thread. It’s funny that compared to the rest of the game there really isn’t NEARLY as much variety, which is what people are in part basing their arguments on (note the words ‘in part’, obviously people are angry for a plethora of reasons). That said, there is so much POTENTIAL for more variety, which influenced part of my decision. Especially when the game first launched and there were several updates to the town clothes category in the gem store, which led me to believe there would be more and influenced my decision to purchase what I did. I still want Queen Jennah’s dress and Anise’s corset.

If Anet is running low on resources to produce more, well that’s one thing. I don’t know what the cost/monetary benefit is on their end. But that doesn’t justify completely changing something people paid real world money for. Either leave it in or refund people their gems… in full.

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D

Posted by: Ezekiel.1985

Ezekiel.1985

The thing is, the way they’re handling town clothes smells very horribly of “Not finished yet”.

This is too broad and sweeping to be released unfinished.

Posted by: Vrava.6937

Vrava.6937

This decision needs to be revisited. “Outfits” that come as an unalterable set go against the entire design philosophy of the game, which is about customization and making your character look unique. And converting town clothes into tonics is even worse. These cannot even be modified with dyes. In a day with 95% good news, this was a bad solution to a design problem. I think most people would just agree that keeping the old town clothes system, with perhaps its own tab in the wardrobe, would be the best solution. Keep the outfits, town clothes, and toys in there. I know it’s much more complex than that, but I hope these complaints will be taken into consideration.

Posted by: Sendra.5709

Sendra.5709

All or nothing outfits…?

Attachments:

Posted by: Craving.5648

Craving.5648

The new tonic system doesn’t make sense to me.
It sounds like it’s basically a downgrade from what we already have when it comes to freedom and customization, which are two highly valued aspects for making your characters the way you want to.

Why not improve on the systems already in place instead, and not in a way that is taking away options from the player?

This just seems like the opposite of progress and I will be disappointed if I lose my customization options for my costume and town clothes pieces.

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

Hmm, “all or nothing” seems like our thinking caps were taken off.

Going from interchangeable to having to use these sets as one item seems like were moving backward.

You giveth and taketh away….this time at the same time.

Why are they not skins just like the armor sets you sell on the same page?

DOH!

BPRACTICAL! Viva La Revolución

Devildoc.6721

should have just make “town clothes” into regular armor skins. This whole weird full set/non-combat/no mixing garbage is totally pointless.

They should have just left town clothes alone. I liked having a toggle that I could have bound to a button, to be able to change quickly into a costume for costume brawl or just partying in town.. I liked having a SEPARATE look for town clothes.

I don’t want to fight in a mad king costume.

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Sorry but this is unacceptable.

We didn’t pay for tonics. We paid for outfits. Turning them into tonics goes against everything Anet has told us about customizing our characters.

And now you have players here asking for refunds and saying they aren’t going to spend anymore money on this game. That should tell you something Anet. It is obvious that this is a bad decision on your part and you should change it. You are changing something that people have already paid for. They paid money for an outfit for a reason. They didn’t pay money for some tonic that they can’t mix and match with. They want what they paid for.

Getting rather sick of all of this. This isn’t the first time Anet has done this. Change stuff after players have already paid for it. Hopefully (yeah right..) they actually listen to us and don’t go through with this change. Like I said, this is unacceptable and you can bet that I will be demanding a refund if this change goes through, just like many others here.

I want what I paid for, not some tonic.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Allaraina.8614

The thing is, the way they’re handling town clothes smells very horribly of “Not finished yet”.

This is too broad and sweeping to be released unfinished.

Hmmn possibly, but I like to give Anet the benefit of the doubt. It sounds like two things:

1. pressure from accounting + finite resources
2. It seemed like a good idea during the conference call. A bit different, but having worked a bit in publishing in the marketing department, I can say that occasionally what seemed like a ‘great’ idea in the board room ended up giving customers a heart attack because you know… theory vs. reality. But I wasn’t the one making those decisions, just listening to all the people (including the employees that had to implement the changes and face customer wrath) freak out later. Ah, the joys of having a board of directors!

Wanted to add my screenshots here as well – didn’t mash them together earlier to do it. Again, I’ve been hoping for MORE town clothes, not less

Attachments:

Posted by: Donut.6914

Donut.6914

Is there really no way that you guys can quickly change the town clothes to just be individual skins that mask over armor? I would rather just get a refund for the pieces I bought than have this endless tonic nonsense.

I’ve always wanted to use this set in combat. ):

Attachments:

I swung a sword. I swung a sword again. I swung a sword again—-hey hey that’s great!

Posted by: Asazi.7561

Asazi.7561

I don’t roleplay, but I absolutely love taking screenshots. Many of my characters are in townclothes at least half the time and I loved the quick and easy option to change, even if I got knocked back into armor in combat.

Since I first started playing I adored townclothes since they gave me the option to easily switch between different outfits. I didn’t have to use space in my bags or bank to store clothes and I loved it. Once I figured out how to get more townclothes, I started buying some and making plans for how I wanted each character to look. I’ve got two single tops because that was all I could afford before all the single items were retired (it was three tops but I accidentally deleted a character wearing one…which doesn’t hurt as much anymore :/) . I loved them for how they looked by themselves, I don’t want them to be attached to some random pants/shoes/gloves/hats! That’s not what I paid for.

When December rolled around, I was excited to finally get a chance at the Wintersday townclothing set. I love it so much that I bought three even though I’ve only got two equipped to characters right now. My Asura uses the whole set, minus the hat and wand, undyed while my Charr uses the set with a quaggan hat and no wand, all dyed. The third set is for mixing-and-matching, but I was waiting for more townclothes to be released. Luckily my Asura would still be able to wear her’s, but half the reason I even bought the character slot, townclothes, etc is for my Charr! I wanted that Charr to look a very specific way. When the clothing loses its dyes and can’t even be worn with the quaggan hat, its changed in a way that means I wasted my USD on the gems that bought them. And its not clear if I can even get refunds for the three now useless “outfits” that I own! Which is pretty ridiculous seeing as they no longer function even close to how they did when I bought them.

On top of that, what happens to default townclothes? I don’t like most of it, but I love my Norn’s default look and was looking forward to buying a new character slot and having a human in the default ones as well. My other Asura still has her default townclothes as well, because I like them on her. I don’t want to lose any of them.

I’d been very excited for the wardrobe announcement, but there is nothing good about this particular change. There’s no reason to destroy townclothes by turning them into useless tonics and forcing us to wear random things we did not agree to if we want to wear the clothing we bought. This is an absolutely terrible way to treat your paying customers when they purchased completely optional cosmetic items that helped support the game and company. I’ve already decided to not spend another cent of USD on gems, and this makes me very wary to even convert gold to gems anymore. Why bother wasting my money and effort, IRL or in-game, on items when everything about their functionality might randomly change?

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

So I have a question. My town clothes (seens below) are sunglasses, a casual hoodie, and riding pants. So since the riding pants are part of a set but you could buy the pieces individually, will I lose my town clothes?

Also will armor be all in where you can only equip sets? Because I mix my armor to create different looks, I dont wear all of one set.

Attachments:

Posted by: Lamont.5973

Lamont.5973

lol, comparing this to the flamekissed fiasco, with the flame kissed, in among the many many complaints when it came out, there were some people who actually LIKED the armor. Although there are many who like the idea of a wardrobe, it doesn’t sound like much anybody likes the idea of tonics instead of clothes. Might want to rethink this one too, Anet.

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

The cost to transmute a single piece of armor is going to be 7 gold.

125 gems = 5 Transmutation Stone
1 Transmutation Stone = 25 Gems
1 Wardrobe Charge = 3 Transmutation Stones (or 75 Gems)
1 Wardrobe Charge = 7 gold

So to change your entire outfit will cost you 35 gold each time. O_O
My math has to be wrong…

(edited by Prophet.6257)

Posted by: Vrava.6937

Vrava.6937

I find it very sad that an update designed to help us create more unique looks for our characters would also permanently remove so many looks that we’ve carefully crafted and refined for the past year and a half. Sad.

Attachments:

Posted by: IVIUIEI.9631

IVIUIEI.9631

And then we need to burn a transmutation charge whenever we want to move from town clothes to a combat look. Not great for roleplayers.

There is no transmutation charge to change outfits or toggle it on and off.
Transmutation charges are for applying new skins to specific armor pieces, same as now.

Yes outfits are all or nothing.
Yes wearable in combat. There will be no non-combat equipment anymore, unless you count tonics.

So u saying I can wear my hollowed costume in combat…..? If that is true, thank you.

vvuevv

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Post your best clothes combinations that will now be turned into one outfit!
Appeal to the Designers Hearts.

Oh, I have a few … this is only a sampling of looks I’ve put together for my alts.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

And a bonus, forgot I had the Executioner Boots on this one:

Attachments:

Posted by: Asazi.7561

Asazi.7561

Oh, and I forgot to mention. For ages I’ve been wanting to save up and buy the Cook set, but I don’t want to use it as an outfit. I wanted to give the pan to my Sylvari necro and split the clothes between my Sylvari ranger and Sylvari warrior. Eventually I even wanted to get a few more copies of the cook set to use on various races, since it has the awesome ability to change appearance. So that’s another few sales you lost out on Anet, because I’d never buy some useless tonic for 700 gems.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Oh, and I forgot to mention. For ages I’ve been wanting to save up and buy the Cook set, but I don’t want to use it as an outfit. I wanted to give the pan to my Sylvari necro and split the clothes between my Sylvari ranger and Sylvari warrior. Eventually I even wanted to get a few more copies of the cook set to use on various races, since it has the awesome ability to change appearance. So that’s another few sales you lost out on Anet, because I’d never buy some useless tonic for 700 gems.

This is one of the items that will become a costume set. If you have one, then every character you have can equip it as the full set (you can display the hat or not as you choose). You’ll be able to set the dye colors on it, and use it in combat. No transmutation costs required. However, you won’t be able to mix and match the parts.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: ChibiSeiai.3940

ChibiSeiai.3940

So hold the kitten on, here. These multiple outfits I bought to mix and match with… I won’t be able to mix and match with. Do you know how much money I’ve spent just to look pretty?

If I didn’t have people that I enjoy interacting with in this game, I’d nope the kitten out. Bunch of kittening crooks.

Edit: See if I buy anything from your kitten store again.

Fenrina.2954

1. pressure from accounting + finite resources
2. It seemed like a good idea during the conference call. A bit different, but having worked a bit in publishing in the marketing department, I can say that occasionally what seemed like a ‘great’ idea in the board room ended up giving customers a heart attack because you know… theory vs. reality. But I wasn’t the one making those decisions, just listening to all the people (including the employees that had to implement the changes and face customer wrath) freak out later. Ah, the joys of having a board of directors!

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it was something like this. Quite a few reactions could be described as “customers having a heart attack.”

Posted by: SakuraJD.4720

SakuraJD.4720

Tell you what.. how about we DONT remove one of the best things about this game, ruining RP entirely, and just keep it to where we cant use town clothes in combat? if this is what it takes to use them in combat, then no thanks. i’ll keep the split, thanks. i didnt buy town clothes only to have you give me cookie cutter outfits.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

So hold the kitten on, here. These multiple outfits I bought to mix and match with… I won’t be able to mix and match with.

If they are non-head item town clothes, then that’s true. I’m not sure about the head items that came with full set costumes, like the pirate hat, but the rest of it will no longer be mix and match.

Head items (apparently, from what we know) and normal armors are still mix and match, with the head items becoming skins that can be put on any helm, much like Scarlet’s helm can.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Mochi.7083

Mochi.7083

So hold the kitten on, here. These multiple outfits I bought to mix and match with… I won’t be able to mix and match with.

If they are non-head item town clothes, then that’s true. I’m not sure about the head items that came with full set costumes, like the pirate hat, but the rest of it will no longer be mix and match.

Head items (apparently, from what we know) and normal armors are still mix and match, with the head items becoming skins that can be put on any helm, much like Scarlet’s helm can.

Town clothes that become outfits become all or nothing. You can’t wear your pirate hat with your wintersday clothes, but you can hide your ugly wintersday pancake hat.

Posted by: brom balagon.4903

brom balagon.4903

i was worried that i would have to carry around a third set of armor instead of clicking my town clothes button but this is worse, we cant customise our town clothes anymore?

someone please tell me ive read this wrong

this is going to devastate the RP community

(edited by brom balagon.4903)

Posted by: Rizalee.4593

Rizalee.4593

Sorry Anet, but if this goes live like this, I am going to demand a gem refund on EVERY Style item I have purchased. My Pirate Outfit, my Witch outfit, and the Khaki pants and Cherry Blossom Shirt, Sunglasses as well.

I purchased these items to be town clothes, not armor skins.. if that is the case, I want my Gems back, because I will not use them as armor skins

~ Rizalee – Human Mesmer ~
~ Rizzae – Asura Guardian ~
Tarnished Coast Server

Posted by: pho.9412

pho.9412

100% this! I support.

edit: what happen to costume brawl function now? I mean I did buy the witch outfit for that particular reason.

(edited by pho.9412)

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I logged in, saw that I would be able to use the Hoodie as actual armor skin so I don’t have to deal with medium armor trench coats and buttcapes (feel free to start thinking outside the flappy leather box anytime guys) anymore while rocking some boss aviators and was about ready to let so much grief slide . Then I come to this thread…

In the immortal words of Tinny Tim, Anet “You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, sir. Bravo!”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=w6gzOcTNKwE

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Eravyn.7483

Eravyn.7483

I’m really going to miss mix and matching town clothes… I bought the witches outfit the first time around, but can’t stand the hat. Put the Christmas hat with it, looks fantastic if I do say so. (img 1) And my adventure-Sylvari-I-don’t-know-what (img 2) made the weirdly poofed pants ok. Also, I love the crap out of that hoodie, but if it’s a tonic that I can’t put with the rest of those items, I doubt I’ll even remember it exists, let alone want to use it. Putting it on a female Sylvari will probably default a skirt, too. I can’t stand skirts in real life and try to avoid them in game.

Attachments:

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

let me go ahead and spell this out since you guys (devs) don’t seem to be getting the message

PEOPLE WHO WORE TOWN CLOTHES DID NOT CARE THEY ARE NOT USABLE INCOMBAT

Is that really that difficult to understand? We care a lot more about mixing and matching that giving a crap about them being usable in combat. Come on. That’s just dense.

Let me go ahead and correct you, since you don’t seem to understand you’re not speaking for everyone: A lot of people hated that town clothes couldn’t be used in combat. This is something I’ve been frustrated about since beta, and I’m supremely happy they are finally fixing it.

It is a perfect solution? No. I also wish that mixing and matching were still possible, but I understand and accept why it isn’t. I recommend you try to do the same, instead of ranting futilely about it and pretending you’re a spokesperson for the rest of us, which you aren’t.

Please read what I said carefully. I was talking about people who actually used them as they were, not “everybody as a collective”. Those among us that actually wore and used town clothes as they were, I can guarantee you the vast majority do not care they weren’t used in combat.

With that said, you say “not possible”, and that’s just not true. It IS possible, they just don’t want to bother with it, which is incredibly stupid. Skin replacement is one of the easiest things out there in coding, when the skins are already present. It’s essentially like turning a light switch.

That’s not entirely true.

Each of the armor weights in the game is constructed differently, which is probably one of the reasons we haven’t seen mixing and matching between different weights. It’s also likely the reason we see so many trenchcoats on medium armor—it’s specifically designed to support coats that go over pants. Light armor divides at the waist, and town clothes followed the same rules. If you read this blog post, you can pick up some hints as to how things were coded and why going back to change things would be more difficult than just find-and-replace:

In Guild Wars 2, weight classes determine the profession distribution and the seam rules for our armor coordination. We realized there were times when we desperately wanted to break those rules, so we developed a solution to do so. For example, town clothes work similar to the light armor system. There is a waist seam that allows mixing and matching to work relatively smoothly between pieces, which gives the player as much creative freedom as possible. But for clothing, it would be a travesty to never have a long trench coat, which has a seam overlap that would follow medium armor seam rules.

To solve this dilemma, we have created sets. Sets are two or more sections of armor fused into one to prevent mixing troubles that allow us to design with far less seam constraints. For example, we could have an outfit with a large trench coat, an inside vest and shirt, and pants. You’ve seen this before in my previous clothing blog post. That outfit is one piece.

I suspect this is why many town clothes pieces, such as the pirate captain’s outfit and Bloody Prince set, operate as one piece. And although I have zero technical expertise in this area, I think it probably follows that in order to make town clothes body pieces wearable in combat at all, it either works as an all-or-nothing system or they have to go back and change all of the armor in the game to follow the same seam rules (which might break several current armor sets, too). That would be a massive undertaking, and in the end it’s probably better that the lesser-used system takes a hit.

I’m not exactly happy with it, and I wish things hadn’t been designed that way in the first place (mostly because I’d like to see mixed armor weights), but establishing outfits as an overlay allows them some freedom to keep releasing costumes for holidays and making some sets of “universal” armor which don’t necessitate revamping the whole of GW2’s armor system. Since outfits use a separate system from transmutes, they can also probably be disallowed in PvP if it becomes a problem.

I can only speculate as to the choice to make some pieces tonics, but that might be the place to lean—respectfully—if we’d rather see them as outfits which can be dyed and used in combat.

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

A little added note here, Outfits will still respect the ‘hide helm’ toggle so you can absolutely wear Wintersday or Mad King outfit without the hat or pumpkin.

But we want to dye them! And mix them up with other items!

Behold the beauty of an Asura with a pink wintersday outfit and a pink quaggan hat. This has been possible for a year, and now it suddenly isn’t anymore? I thought this patch was supposed to allow us more flexibility with armor? Seriously, at least tell us why you are doing this. As it is now, I can only assume that you just hate cute Asura in pink Wintersday outfits and pink Quaggan hats. And that’s evil.

Outfits can still be dyed, They will have up to 4 dye channels depending on the outfit.

Sorry about the mix-and-match. Converting things to be armor and combat compatible did come with some trade-offs. For the most part we tried to favor mixing with armor slots and skins (a lot more possible combinations). Hopefully we’ll see more consistently usable customization now that part of it isn’t hidden in town clothes that get turned off every fight. Outfits come as a set and equip as a set with the added benefit of not costing charges or requiring items to apply onto additional characters.

At the risk of sounding too harsh I’ll say this: if we cant mix outfits anymore, you better provide kitten good looking outfits in the future. NO clipping, especially tail clipping, NO exaggerated differences between male and female clothes. I could go on…

Reason why I say this is because there hasn’t been a single set of “outfits” as you now call them that I liked as a whole. Wearing town clothes means little to me, but I can definitely understand the concerns and disappointment of people who like to mix them. It should be self-explanatory as to why.

This is almost the same as not letting us mix armor sets.

I have 2-3 bought town clothes, one is mad kings outfit for my charr, cook’s outfit (because it suits them kinda nice) and reading glasses for my human. But I dyed those glasses purple, because it’s kinda cute, and inrl I also wear similar looking glasses. What they’re going to revert back to boring old grey and I won’t be able to dye it?

ArenaNET – please, reconsider. Limiting mixing of town clothes and not allowing your customers to dye individual old pieces will backfire. There is no logic, no reason behind this change, unless you have some technical difficulties with the new wardrobe system that doesn’t allow you to create separate town clothes tab for mixing. If something like that is the case, you need to work better. Don’t wanna sound pompous or anything, but we’ve been hearing “we can’t do this and that due to tech limitations” quite often by now.

You have our all support, and thousands of players are supporting you via gem store, in hoping that our donations will help you create a better game. And you are, definitely. But this whole town clothing fiasco will do nothing but damage you, and your customers, especially people who paid real money, not gold, on items. Expect to see a lot of demands for refunds.

We just want a sensible explanation, not “it had to be done, live with it”. Sorry that won’t do – if something’s wrong, share it with us, so we can give you ideas. Stop being so secretive and communicate with us months prior to big changes like these, especially when you highlight that the wardrobe system was planned months ago. Did you really, honestly expect a positive feedback on this? Or you think it’s safe to announce big unwanted changes few weeks before update?

Maybe there is still hope to change things?

There has to be a better solution to this.

(edited by CharrGirl.7896)

Fenrina.2954

It’s moot point though. They could have said, “town clothes can now be used in battle. The wardrobe will support this like armor skins.” That would have made town clothes more valuable without taking anything away from them. They could even just share the hats and be ok.

In other words, they did not have to mix clothing and armor at all. The town clothing changes are completely anet’s decision now and not the consequence of past choices.

(edited by Fenrina.2954)

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

The preview system used to allow previewing all armor types at the same time. There were some clipping issues at times but I never noticed anything glaring like a giant gap in the midsection or anything this seam talk would seem to imply. Hell, if you are worried about that, you can already find minor examples within a single armor class: wear aetherblade heavy leggings and whispers heavy breastplate on a female human. I love the look but there is in fact a tiny gap on the backside where you can see the environment through your character. So if that is already tolerated, I don’t see a big deal with allowing you to equip town clothes with potentially “conflicting seam” armor. If something looks funky I just won’t wear it… and if there is really some huge problem (which I doubt) Anet can just make a restriction that you have to wear only town clothes if you decide to use a piece. Anything is better than this solution.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Posted by: Rizalee.4593

Rizalee.4593

I think I could be Ok with the “All or nothing” if we can still get the Boots, Gloves and Head items to play with. I mean as it stands right now, the Chest and Legs of most costume items are one piece already… Unless it is only a chest item.

I think you should just leave the individual items alone. Like the Khaki pants and the different shirts and hoodies.. At the very least, Create “All or nothing” sets with the tops and bottoms in all combinations so that it is possible to get the same look we had before…

~ Rizalee – Human Mesmer ~
~ Rizzae – Asura Guardian ~
Tarnished Coast Server