Feedback/Questions: Town clothes, Costumes, & Combat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: BTYM.8230

BTYM.8230

Some promotional town clothing, such as the Dragon Emblem T-shirt and retired town clothes such as the hoodies, will become endless tonics which allow you to continue to wear the clothing in non-combat situations.

Why?! “You can still mix and match single items except for the ones you may actually want to show off”

Posted by: Aegis Creed.4708

Aegis Creed.4708

I wonder what will be done for people like me who purchased 3 sets of Phalanx armor. I bought one for PvE and one for PvP, and another for an alt. With the new system, I only needed one set and the subsequent transmutation charges (which I have plenty of).

Open a support ticket?

Posted by: Liraz.8062

Liraz.8062

Some promotional town clothing, such as the Dragon Emblem T-shirt and retired town clothes such as the hoodies, will become endless tonics which allow you to continue to wear the clothing in non-combat situations.

Why?! “You can still mix and match single items except for the ones you may actually want to show off”

Yeah, it’s almost like being punished for having been an early adopter/supporter of the game, haha. All of the promotional items and things that were retired from the gem store – you know, the things that only folks who have been been around for a while would have – are the same ones that are getting the lousy tonic treatment. It’s… definitely not how I would choose to honor a loyal customer and fan of my business, that’s for sure.

I know it’s not personal and it probably wasn’t thought of, how that message might end up coming across, but it feels harsh, and that’s probably why so many of the responses have been tinged with anger. No one wants to feel slapped in the face, but that’s the message that’s been sent here toward early adopters, unintentionally.

Firstwatch Irregular Company – RP, Tarnished Coast

BTYM.8230

Yeah, it’s almost like being punished for having been an early adopter/supporter of the game, haha. All of the promotional items and things that were retired from the gem store – you know, the things that only folks who have been been around for a while would have – are the same ones that are getting the lousy tonic treatment. It’s… definitely not how I would choose to honor a loyal customer and fan of my business, that’s for sure.

I know it’s not personal and it probably wasn’t thought of, how that message might end up coming across, but it feels harsh, and that’s probably why so many of the responses have been tinged with anger. No one wants to feel slapped in the face, but that’s the message that’s been sent here toward early adopters, unintentionally.

My entire outfit is going to be turned into tonics

Dragon shirt? Tonic.
Gloves and boots? Part of an outfit.
Hat collection? All tonics.
Khaki shorts? Tonic.
Broom? Can’t used while transformed.

What’s the point? I’m being punished for being a loyal player, and I’ll probably never log in again after this update.

(edited by BTYM.8230)

Posted by: Ezekiel.1985

Ezekiel.1985

I’ll throw my lot in with “willing to wait” – I’ve mentioned before this update really, really feels like it’s seriously just not finished, and rush decisions were made to make a deadline.

Just get it done. Make us happy. We don’t mind waiting a few more weeks – really.

Posted by: Lamont.5973

Lamont.5973

Dragon shirt? Tonic.
Gloves and boots? Part of a tonic.
Khaki shorts? Tonic.

What’s the point? I’m being punished for being a loyal player, and I’ll probably never log in again after this update.

Well, not entirely
The dragon shirt and the shorts will be tonics.
I suspect all the boots will be part of costume “sets”
Some of the hats will become armor skins others will be part of a costume “set.” Same with gloves.
Broom – i don’t know but if they don’t let you use it while in shirt or short tonic form it will certainly be pretty useless.

all of which is still a pretty nasty way to treat customers

BTYM.8230

Dragon shirt? Tonic.
Gloves and boots? Part of a tonic.
Khaki shorts? Tonic.

Well, not entirely
The dragon shirt and the shorts will be tonics.
I suspect all the boots will be part of costume “sets”
Some of the hats will become armor skins others will be part of a costume “set.” Same with gloves.
Broom – i don’t know but if they don’t let you use it while in shirt or short tonic form it will certainly be pretty useless.

The gloves and boots and one of my hats will become the festive outfit
The rest of my hats (minus a quaggan hat) will be tonics because they’re all promos – GW2 cap, gandalf hat, witch hat, devil horns, santa hat

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I’ll throw my lot in with “willing to wait” – I’ve mentioned before this update really, really feels like it’s seriously just not finished, and rush decisions were made to make a deadline.

Just get it done. Make us happy. We don’t mind waiting a few more weeks – really.

If they have to redo a system that is only three weeks from release it won’t be a matter of weeks but months. It’s a lot better idea to just make it all armor, that way you can just mix and match and dye the pieces with the system that is already in place.

Certain costume sets and single pieces would undoubtedly have to be disabled while the developers refit them to new system, but its better than delaying the entire system for such a lengthy amount of time.

Ezekiel.1985

If they have to redo a system that is only three weeks from release it won’t be a matter of weeks but months. It’s a lot better idea to just make it all armor, that way you can just mix and match and dye the pieces with the system that is already in place.

Certain costume sets and single piece would undoubtedly have to be disabled while the developers refit them to new system, but its better than delaying the entire system for such a lengthy amount of time.

Pretty much like you said it. It just needs to be made armor, which would take very little time, but am willing to wait for it.

Posted by: Lamont.5973

Lamont.5973

Have they specified on those hats? I think the only promo item they actually stated anything about was the dragon shirt.

Seems like it would be weird to go to all the trouble to make tonics with complete clothing sets for things like the witch hat. Unless they will make them like the halo tonic that can be used with any armor or clothing – in which case that might not be bad.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

What will happen to my lovely beach outfit? :O

Attachments:

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Fenrina.2954

Fenrina.2954

Have they specified on those hats? I think the only promo item they actually stated anything about was the dragon shirt.

They haven’t. No. The faq seems to imply the hats will now be like armor skins though as that’s the only thing it lists. It may be that the hats would have less graphical errors or something.

Ultimately though, that’s likely a bitter consolation for people like BTYM.

Edit:

What will happen to my lovely beach outfit? :O

It’ll likely be turned into a tonic with the current changes. That and it probably will come with changes you don’t want. :/

(edited by Fenrina.2954)

Posted by: Twyll Blackleaf.9641

Twyll Blackleaf.9641

That’s not as big a problem as one would think. There are several existing armor pieces that take up the slots for both the head and shoulders, chest and shoulders, or chest and hands, it would be no different having a chest item covering the chest and legs. And even if they didn’t wish to do it that way, they are two seperate meshes and can be seperated with some work.

EDIT: Wait, I forgot, there already IS one. The Cof Light chest armor takes up both the chest and leg slots.

There are a couple of Medium armors that make shoulders disappear, such as the Shaman Reward Breastplate; so there are examples of armor eclipsing other armor in other armor weights as well. I could have sworn there was something funky going on with the Medium Vigil armor as well, but it seems to have been changed now?

some town clothes do not “fit” the style of classes. Plus there are some who play large norn and enjoy the cooking outfit and would lose out on it because the town clothes became light armors.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread but it’s entirely possible that you might have missed it (given that the thing is 13 pages long now): Under the changes as described, female Warriors will be able to run around fighting in poofy dresses, Charr will be able to charge into battle in the Mad King outfit with giant pumpkins on their heads, and combat spectacles will become a thing (although combat monocles already are, come to think of it). The problem is that there will no longer be any flexibility in those outfits, so those poofy-dressed female Warriors will have to wear either really dumb-looking hats or no hat at all; the Mad-King-ified Charr won’t have the option to use the something more intimidating-looking than a giant pumpkin on their heads; and you won’t be able to pair your combat spectacles with your fancy vest to be dapper as cats, because the vest will be a tonic.

So, the end result of this is more homogeneity, not less, making it harder to tell people apart— because clothes that get turned into “outfits” will only be differentiated by dye color; and clothes that get turned into tonics won’t even be dyeable, so everyone who wears them will be wearing exactly the same thing in exactly the same colors!

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

Hear, hear. Not just weeks, I’m willing to wait as long as it takes as long as they don’t permanently ruin one of the best customization features currently in game. This really reeks of deadline at the moment.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

So what about wizard’s hats, the Mad King witches hat, and the GW2 Baseball Logo Hats?

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Hear, hear. Not just weeks, I’m willing to wait as long as it takes

No… no… these are items I paid for several times across my accounts. There has to be accountability and not a lingering, “meh… whatever” response. I’m still surprised they made such changes to begin with without a CDI thread. This is way larger than FotM and that got a thread. Now, that being said, I’m willing to wait as long as there’s some definition to it.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Twyll Blackleaf.9641

I’ll also throw my lot in with the “willing to wait” crowd. I would totally be okay with waiting for combat-ready town clothes.

Perhaps it would be possible to implement the change in combat-armor skins while keeping town clothes as they are until the town clothes can be properly fiddled with to become combat clothes in earnest? I think it would be rather cruel to make people wait longer for the armor wardrobe, which many people (including myself) have been waiting for for a very long time and are quite excited about, simply because the patch also attempts to change town clothes. I’ve been complaining a lot here because this is the town clothes thread, but I’m pretty thrilled with the non-town-clothes parts of the patch!

Keeping the alternate paper doll and keeping the town clothes non-combat-ready isn’t something that would take weeks to implement, right? (It sounds like it would involve less work, as the town clothes paper doll already exists and can therefore just be kept as an option until town clothes are made wardrobe-able— unless in my ignorance of coding I’m underestimating the amount of work it takes to add a Town Clothes button back into the Hero menu and get the automatic switching and stuff working.) And then there would be plenty of time after the wardrobe patch goes live to fix up town clothes so they can be integrated with it later, and decisions can be made about whether to keep the second paper doll and other such questions, removing some of the stress that comes with a time crunch.

And if people complain about the combat town clothes part of the patch being delayed, you are TOTALLY allowed to have them blame me and the other folks who expressed a willingness to wait. You can even quote me by name and say “Blame Twyll Blackleaf!” I doubt very many people who would want to fight in town clothes would rather not be able to customize them, anyways.

So what about wizard’s hats, the Mad King witches hat, and the GW2 Baseball Logo Hats?

Those individual hats will turn into combat armor skins I believe, so while the benefit is that we’d be able to wear them in combat, the drawback is that we would no longer be able to use them in conjunction with any of the other town clothes. It also means that since the GW2 shirt would become a tonic, you’d no longer be able to wear a GW2 shirt and a GW2 hat at the same time. (Even if the GW2 logo hat becomes a tonic and the GW2 logo shirt becomes a tonic, you can only have one endless tonic active at a time, so you still won’t be able to wear them together; but you could wear them individually in combat.) It’s… not an ideal thing, as this thread shows!

Jabberwock.9014

Hear, hear. Not just weeks, I’m willing to wait as long as it takes

No… no… these are items I paid for several times across my accounts. There has to be accountability and not a lingering, “meh… whatever” response. I’m still surprised they made such changes to begin with without a CDI thread. This is way larger than FotM and that got a thread. Now, that being said, I’m willing to wait as long as there’s some definition to it.

I suppose I should have said, “as long as it takes, within reason”. Certainly more than a couple of months would be fairly unacceptable: there should be accountability to ensure something actually ends up happening. But as long something happens, I don’t much care when. The point is, if it means avoiding permanently crippling a major facet of the game, I am willing to wait. I don’t want this half-baked garbage bundled in with an otherwise great looking feature patch just for the sake of making it look bigger.

Personally I feel this whole “feature patch vs content patch” culture is part of the problem. Because feature patches come around so rarely devs feel like they have to package literally everything into them or risk waiting half a year for the next one. Stop with this completely arbitrary patch distinction and you can start releasing things when they are complete. This is also a major problem for PvP balance, where we have acknowledged imbalances hanging around long, LONG after they are determined to be broken (see healing signet) because devs feel they have to put all the balance fixes in the almighty feature patch. Marketing hype gone wrong imo.

(edited by Jabberwock.9014)

Fenrina.2954

Keeping the alternate paper doll and keeping the town clothes non-combat-ready isn’t something that would take weeks to implement, right? (It sounds like it would involve less work, as the town clothes paper doll already exists and can therefore just be kept as an option until town clothes are made wardrobe-able— unless in my ignorance of coding I’m underestimating the amount of work it takes to add a Town Clothes button back into the Hero menu and get the automatic switching and stuff working.)

In theory, yes. The devil is in the details and part of that is if they still have a copy of the code available. They should, but it’s not a guarantee. They would also have to make sure the new wardrobe code doesn’t freak out over non-gear equipables or vice versa and the like. It’s not necessarily an extremely fast fix.

Posted by: psychomantis.4867

psychomantis.4867

I’m easily willing to wait and I am for mixing and matching.

Town clothes are gorgeous, and also, it is sort of the -point- of Guild Wars 2 that we are able to create the kind of look we want. Tonics -completely- contradict that, and instead just slaps on a premade design.

So for a wardrobe system that’s supposed to allow us to pick the look we want, it’s highly hypocritical by removing several customization options to us.

Signed, someone who mixes and matches.

Jabberwock.9014

Keeping the alternate paper doll and keeping the town clothes non-combat-ready isn’t something that would take weeks to implement, right? (It sounds like it would involve less work, as the town clothes paper doll already exists and can therefore just be kept as an option until town clothes are made wardrobe-able— unless in my ignorance of coding I’m underestimating the amount of work it takes to add a Town Clothes button back into the Hero menu and get the automatic switching and stuff working.)

In theory, yes. The devil is in the details and part of that is if they still have a copy of the code available. They should, but it’s not a guarantee. They would also have to make sure the new wardrobe code doesn’t freak out over non-gear equipables or vice versa and the like. It’s not necessarily an extremely fast fix.

If ArenaNet has no source control, then I’m the queen of Kryta.

Posted by: Samf.5423

Samf.5423

I’m greatly looking forward to the changes coming in the new patch, since these are all big updates that are, most definitely, long overdue! I am glad to see them implemented so soon, since I just came back to Gw2 very recently.

Unfortunately, I did get the impression from the blog post that we will not be able to mix & match our town clothes? Should this be true, I kindly ask that it be reconsidered.

Purchasing new town clothes is always a great joy for me because it’s fun to mix what I had previously purchased, and make a town clothes outfit I thought was interesting. (Forgive the excess Midnight Blue, below. I do love that dye!) Whatever the outcome, I do hope it remains somewhat flexible!

I love this game, and I greatly look forward to this new experience! Keep up the great work ANet!

Love,

Me

Attachments:

Veera Whisperveil, Charr, Engineer, 23
Ronya Owlskin, Norn, Ranger, 23

Fenrina.2954

If ArenaNet has no source control, then I’m the queen of Kryta.

Lol, true. I just don’t know what their policies are on this sort of thing.

Posted by: Curtis Johnson

Previous

Curtis Johnson

Next

A few more details on toys. Costume brawl toys are not tonics… Almost all of them will be usable with armor, outfits, tonics and other transforms.

The exception is boxing gloves, which is a brawl toy plus tonic in one.. so it will not combine with other looks, and Sonic Tunneling Tool… which scrubs transforms off you when you go underground.

Posted by: Silent Avenger.6928

Silent Avenger.6928

Well I see there’s still no official response with a clear cut answer as to why they are doing this. I also don’t see why they can’t have the individual items as an outfit instead of a tonic I mean you’re going to be giving them default bottoms/tops in tonic form anyways why not just make them an outfit instead of a tonic? Also why can’t you keep town clothes slots and just have them count as an “outfit” when we want to wear them? I really hope you reconsider what you are doing to town clothes Anet especially since you stated that your current(old) system is too destructive then you go and do this to town clothes for your new system it makes it feel like you’re taking a step forward but also taking a step back. Please give us some answers soon.

Crimson Fatality ~ Mesmer ~ Northern Shiverpeaks

Tainted Phoenix[PHNX] – Mesmer Collective[Mes]

Ezekiel.1985

A few more details on toys. Costume brawl toys are not tonics… Almost all of them will be usable with armor, outfits, tonics and other transforms.

The exception is boxing gloves, which is a brawl toy plus tonic in one.. so it will not combine with other looks, and Sonic Tunneling Tool… which scrubs transforms off you when you go underground.

I’m actually very unhappy to hear this, because I get the feeling now I’m gonna be forced into some sort of ridiculous punch-out look when using the boxing gloves. There is an RP thing on TC where a lot of people get together about once a month and use those boxing gloves to brawl, but something like this would be kind of a major detriment to something like that.

Seriously, the tonic idea is AWFUL, JUST AWFUL, can we come up with a solution that actually makes sense? Like, y’know, making them armor, basically working as it does now but converted to the new system? -.-

Posted by: Ice Furl.4982

Ice Furl.4982

I just wanted to post the simple but elegant look I have on my necromancer for a out of combat outfit before it will be gone forever

Attachments:

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

…snip
It’s… not an ideal thing, as this thread shows!

The problem comes when the developer creates changes that are ideal for their internal processes and neglects what is ideal for the customer experience.

Feedback on this thread indicates we are at that point…yet again.

-Willing to wait for this massive change to be thoroughly vetted and properly implemented

Details already explained on this thread.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: Curtis Johnson

Previous

Curtis Johnson

Next

With that said, you say “not possible”, and that’s just not true. It IS possible, they just don’t want to bother with it, which is incredibly stupid. Skin replacement is one of the easiest things out there in coding, when the skins are already present. It’s essentially like turning a light switch.

That’s not entirely true.

Each of the armor weights in the game is constructed differently, which is probably one of the reasons we haven’t seen mixing and matching between different weights. It’s also likely the reason we see so many trenchcoats on medium armor—it’s specifically designed to support coats that go over pants. Light armor divides at the waist, and town clothes followed the same rules. If you read this blog post, you can pick up some hints as to how things were coded and why going back to change things would be more difficult than just find-and-replace:

In Guild Wars 2, weight classes determine the profession distribution and the seam rules for our armor coordination. We realized there were times when we desperately wanted to break those rules, so we developed a solution to do so. For example, town clothes work similar to the light armor system. There is a waist seam that allows mixing and matching to work relatively smoothly between pieces, which gives the player as much creative freedom as possible. But for clothing, it would be a travesty to never have a long trench coat, which has a seam overlap that would follow medium armor seam rules.

To solve this dilemma, we have created sets. Sets are two or more sections of armor fused into one to prevent mixing troubles that allow us to design with far less seam constraints. For example, we could have an outfit with a large trench coat, an inside vest and shirt, and pants. You’ve seen this before in my previous clothing blog post. That outfit is one piece.

I suspect this is why many town clothes pieces, such as the pirate captain’s outfit and Bloody Prince set, operate as one piece. And although I have zero technical expertise in this area, I think it probably follows that in order to make town clothes body pieces wearable in combat at all, it either works as an all-or-nothing system or they have to go back and change all of the armor in the game to follow the same seam rules (which might break several current armor sets, too). That would be a massive undertaking, and in the end it’s probably better that the lesser-used system takes a hit.

I’m not exactly happy with it, and I wish things hadn’t been designed that way in the first place (mostly because I’d like to see mixed armor weights), but establishing outfits as an overlay allows them some freedom to keep releasing costumes for holidays and making some sets of “universal” armor which don’t necessitate revamping the whole of GW2’s armor system. Since outfits use a separate system from transmutes, they can also probably be disallowed in PvP if it becomes a problem.

I can only speculate as to the choice to make some pieces tonics, but that might be the place to lean—respectfully—if we’d rather see them as outfits which can be dyed and used in combat.

Bonefield has a pretty good understanding here of why some mix and match is not easy at all. Some armor and clothing combinations are fundamentally not mixable, (for more than just clipping reasons)

Fenrina.2954

Bonefield has a pretty good understanding here of why some mix and match is not easy at all. Some armor and clothing combinations are fundamentally not mixable, (for more than just clipping reasons)

In that case, my response to Bonefield’s post is applicable. If mixing them is causing so many problems, why do something this destructive instead of simply not mixing the types?

Posted by: Horrible.3470

Horrible.3470

snip

Would you be able to elaborate on “more than just clipping reasons”? I’m sure more information regarding the reasons behind turning certain pieces into tonics will help people (myself included) understand why.

Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Sorry about the mix-and-match. Converting things to be armor and combat compatible did come with some trade-offs. For the most part we tried to favor mixing with armor slots and skins (a lot more possible combinations). Hopefully we’ll see more consistently usable customization now that part of it isn’t hidden in town clothes that get turned off every fight. Outfits come as a set and equip as a set with the added benefit of not costing charges or requiring items to apply onto additional characters.

I understand the issues with limitations. I personally love the costume system of Lord of the Rings Online where you have one set of gear that actually affects character stats (like GW2 does), but the Costumes are another full set of gear with all of the same slots. So instead of one “skin” that “overlays” your actual gear, you would have a real “outfit” that overlays your actual gear. I understand that this would be much more complex than what you have created. Its too bad that you couldn’t make it happen since I would love to be able to mix armor with clothing pieces as well as to be able to dye each piece individually.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Jabberwock.9014

Can you explain why you don’t just disallow mixing armor and townclothes then? I don’t think too many people care ALL that much about being able to wear khaki shorts with their vigil breastplate. What we care about is that we can no longer wear combinations that we have been able to since launch. Just make it so that if you are overriding armor with townclothes, you have to override ALL slots.

Posted by: Silent Avenger.6928

Silent Avenger.6928

I still do not see why you can’t keep the town clothes slots then just count those slots as a single “outfit”? They wouldn’t be mixing with anything else other than town clothes then so where would the problem be if you did this? Is the game really that badly designed where this is not possible?

Crimson Fatality ~ Mesmer ~ Northern Shiverpeaks

Tainted Phoenix[PHNX] – Mesmer Collective[Mes]

Twyll Blackleaf.9641

Would it be possible, then, to give us the option to just use our town clothes outside of combat and not mix them with armor, like we used to be able to choose between PvP skins and PvE skins when buying a skin off the gem store? “You can have this item as a group of different pieces of town clothes, or an all-in-one outfit that you can use in combat” sort of a thing? That would still be better than… tonicization!

EDIT: These are a much better idea:

Can you explain why you don’t just disallow mixing armor and townclothes then? … Just make it so that if you are overriding armor with townclothes, you have to override ALL slots.

I still do not see why you can’t keep the town clothes slots then just count those slots as a single “outfit”? They wouldn’t be mixing with anything else other than town clothes then so where would the problem be if you did this? …

(edited by Twyll Blackleaf.9641)

Posted by: Angrod.7850

Angrod.7850

We can already do really bad and ugly combinations with actual armors, so I don’t see what’s the problem if we can do it with armors and town clothes too.

(edited by Angrod.7850)

Posted by: DarkOcean.8746

DarkOcean.8746

Can you explain why you don’t just disallow mixing armor and townclothes then? I don’t think too many people care ALL that much about being able to wear khaki shorts with their vigil breastplate. What we care about is that we can no longer wear combinations that we have been able to since launch. Just make it so that if you are overriding armor with townclothes, you have to override ALL slots.

I agree that this could be an interesting solution if you can do it. Town clothes will function, aesthetically, only with other town clothes. If you try and have a Vigil Breastplate top with your Khaki Shorts, then you will have a naked top (or vice versa — naked legs). Or it won’t allow you to try and equip the two problematic aesthetics in the first place. For example if you start off in your underwear, aesthetically, and then you put on Khaki Shorts, you can then not equip any actual armor types until you remove your khaki shorts (Actual armors will be flagged with being incompatible with your current design / grayed out so you cannot select them in the wardrobe). If you equip a Vigil Breastplate, or any other kind of armor, then you will not be allowed to equip any town clothing type. With exception to maybe the headgears, which you already have workable it sounds like. Rather than having the boxing gloves equipped all the time, I think they would possibly have to become exclusively a toy this way, but that would be much better than losing everything…

In addition, this could give rise to all the equipment slots having visibility toggles (which a lot of people have been wanting). Woo, more features, rather than less, for everyone!

EDIT: And just to add, there are TONS of decent solutions floating around. And even then, the simplest of all the solutions is to just keep the status quo (for now or forever) until a better solution can be developed. I think most of us are patient.

(edited by DarkOcean.8746)

Ezekiel.1985

For what it’s worth, devs:

It is perfectly fine, if you want to develop full-body outfits now moving forward.

I can deal with this. I’d prefer they stay piece by piece, but I can deal.

This doesn’t justify going and doing this retroactively, however, with stuff people have already paid for. That’s just not freaking cool.

Posted by: Reminiscent Valkyrie.3109

Reminiscent Valkyrie.3109

Why would having a separate piece of town clothing become a tonic, and full sets have to be armor? It doesn’t make sense. It should be the opposite if any. Clothes that were put together separately should be allowed to be transmuted onto armor, but sets like the witch outfit or the winter outfit should become outfits, as they take over the pants slot, which in my recollection, no combat armor does.

I suggest people who have Dragon T-Shirts, Khaki Cargo Shorts and separate town clothing exempted from the tonic aspect of this update.

As TC is GW2’s unofficial RP server, it would upset the majority of a whole server. Who wants to look exactly the same as other people when RPing? There’s no personalization anymore. You’re going to be “just another bar girl” in the Taverns.

Alyssah Shyles – (Shirokami Kyoudan, Fuse Midori, Hinata Ema, Kimishima Kana)
Administrative Guild Leader of The Luminiferous Constellation [Lumi] on Kaineng US
www.luminiferous-constellation.com

(edited by Reminiscent Valkyrie.3109)

Posted by: DarkOcean.8746

DarkOcean.8746

As far as the boxing gloves go, they are the most interesting problem I’d think. If they were to force the user’s glove slot to be hidden, would that work?

There just has to be a better solution to this; hopefully one can be found and implemented.

Posted by: FANY.6524

FANY.6524

If I’m not going to be able to wear the outfits I have now, then I’m going to want a full refund for all of them. Period. I bought them with the knowledge that I could mix and match them, and you are now changing that on me. That is unacceptable.

I would not have bought town clothes if they were like this from the beginning.

What’s funny is that…I’m not even mad about buying multiple armor skins because I’ll still be able to use those skins as intended. However, now, I may have to deal with an unwanted combination because you guys decided to get rid of the town clothes system.

Ashe Walker
Prescribed [Rx]

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I don’t want refunds nor do I want tonics. I want my town clothes back.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Djinn.9245

Honestly, the outfit/headgear separation seems completely arbitrary. Add an outfit checkbox and slot to the interface for each gear slot. Allow them to be toggled individually. Suddenly welding together pieces that are already functional as separate entities just so you don’t have to put a little more work in to the interface (after already putting so much work in to the interface) is a total cop-out to get the system out the door.

Don’t rush it, justr apologise, state that it’s coming, and roll it out with an LS update after you’ve dotted the Is and crossed the Ts.

Go ahead and make the toys endless tonics as they are the only part of the town clothing system that wouldn’t otherwise fit with the new system, but the clothing should continue to adhere to the rules of clothing, become armor skins, or otherwise retain every bit of its old functionality.

Nobody cares if they have to wait a little bit for this to happen.

This.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

I call it bad design.

Sorry, but I agree with this. You are going to overhaul the entire system and remove outfits and turn them into tonics, instead of changing a few outfits into separate parts? I get that some of the outfits are one solid piece. But you know what would be a better idea than turning them into tonics that we didn’t pay for? Separate them into pieces.

Sorry but “for more than clipping reasons” is not enough of a reason to go through with this. We paid for these outfits. We did not pay for tonics that we can’t wear with the rest of our skins.

I don’t care how long it takes to fix a few outfits so they use multiple pieces. I’d rather wait longer for this wardrobe system if that is the case, then lose something I already paid for.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Tyragon.2496

Tyragon.2496

I wanna know why you (Anet) are putting separate town cloth pieces that ain’t headgear into tonics?

I can understand that the reason there’s full sets is because of complications, but tonics just boggles my mind to no end when it looks like headpieces are made into skins. “Clipping” is not an issue, we have several armors that clip and looking at Charr players, the least of their worry is clipping town clothes when majority of their gear is stretched and clipping.

A lot of people would be satisfied with a solid answer, apart from the clipping issue, to why you had to do this so we’re on the same page? Are there complications that makes it hard to fix? Is it time consuming? Is there codings that don’t work together now that the town cloth tab is gone?

Please, I think it would help for us to know. Also why did you remove the town cloth tab? Couldn’t you change the system so that you could keep using town clothes in combat with your weapons? The town cloth tab was perfect, only exception was the no combat bit. Even if we can use some in combat after this patch, this a huge step backwards for town clothes in my opinion, since you’re taking away the mix and match freedom and able to dye individual pieces.

Just to clarify, I’m not whining or complaining, I love the rest with the wardrobe, but this is a black spot on the golden platter that most of us wants to clean off. I just hope to get answers cause right now it seems quite random where I believe most of us can see better options. People wont give up on having this thing reverted until Anet’s given an understandable answer.

(edited by Tyragon.2496)

Djinn.9245

If the issues are simply clipping, I say let people do it anyway. As many people have pointed out, there are already clipping issues. People can preview items and decide if they don’t like the clipping or can deal with it.

Anet can adjust the more problematic pieces over time and design new pieces with the new system in mind.

Posted by: Reminiscent Valkyrie.3109

Reminiscent Valkyrie.3109

The GW2 Dragon shirt shouldn’t even HAVE clipping problems, it’s just a top that can be transmuted to armor.

Alyssah Shyles – (Shirokami Kyoudan, Fuse Midori, Hinata Ema, Kimishima Kana)
Administrative Guild Leader of The Luminiferous Constellation [Lumi] on Kaineng US
www.luminiferous-constellation.com

Jabberwock.9014

Please, I think it would help for us to know. Also why did you remove the town cloth tab? Couldn’t you change the system so that you could keep using town clothes in combat with your weapons? The town cloth tab was perfect, only exception was the no combat bit. Even if we can use some in combat, this a huge step backwards in my opinion, when you take away mix and match, and our option to dye individual pieces.

^Honestly this. Why are you even removing the town clothes tab? No need to reinvent the wheel. Literally the ONLY (high-level) changes needed are to make it so:

1.You can use weapons.
2. You aren’t put back into armor when in combat.

I understand you want things to look new and shiny, but at the expense of this much functionality? No thanks. You already had something completely workable and no issues mixing armor and clothes. If you are worried about naked people just require chest and legs before allowing combat.

(edited by Jabberwock.9014)

Fenrina.2954

If the issues are simply clipping, I say let people do it anyway. As many people have pointed out, there are already clipping issues. People can preview items and decide if they don’t like the clipping or can deal with it.

It’s more than just clipping. He makes it sound like there’s large holes in the model or a graphics issue just as bad if they’re combined.

Ezekiel.1985

So fix the holes or let us as players elect to be OK with them rather than giving us a half-finished system.

ACtually yeah, that’s my general take on this whole thing?

There are issues doing this?

THEN FIX THE ISSUES

Don’t give us a corner-cutting workaround that most of us don’t even like compared to the old system.

(edited by Ezekiel.1985)