Feedback/Questions: Transmutations

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sazune.8195

Sazune.8195

This is a suggestion. Since I am unable to create a new topic in the Suggestion sub-forum, I don’t really know where else to put this so I will add it here and hope for the best. I apologize if this is in the wrong section but since I don’t see any actual suggestion forum section…

Why am I suggesting this?

I would like to see more variety in armor sets (armors, boots, head pieces, gloves, pants, shoulders) by allowing players to be able to transmute item skins across classes. The item would not transmute the item’s stats, but just the look. Currently, I am bored with the armors, which I have noticed that most of them look the same, regardless of level, even though they have different names.

It would be nice to see more variety in styles and I think a lot of people might actually enjoy being able to do this, especially with the fact that we can mix and match items. For example, wearing the medium Guild Armor set’s shoulders, pants and boots with a Swindler coat, mask and gloves.

In addition, this would also give people more freedom of choice when creating a new character and selecting a new profession. Some people may not necessarily like a particular profession’s look, that being the armor set(s), and may not want to play that profession based on how it looks. It may seem silly to some and even though most may not admit it, or want to, it does actually happen, a lot. If how things looked weren’t important to players, we wouldn’t spend money on fashion items, new hairstyles, etc, nor would it matter if every armor set looked exactly the same.

But it does matter, and more variety and freedom in styles is a positive addition to any game. Player customization is a big deal in MMO’s today; people will spend a lot of money customizing their character’s look.

Skin Transmutation.

These could be bought in the Black Lion Trade, created in a forge by combining X number of Transmutation items and X number of other materials, such as tier 6 materials, or given as quest/mission/event rewards, like the normal Transmutation items and be accessible by all characters on a single account.

What is Skin Transmutation?

This item would allow the transfer of the skin only from one item to another of the same kind (weapon with weapon, boots with boots, gloves with gloves, etc) across professions. For example, if I wanted to transfer the skin of a Mesmer mask to a Hunter mask so that my Hunter could wear a Mesmer mask, whilst still retaining the stats of the main Hunter mask item. This could also be applied to weapons so long as they follow the same rules as armors: Guns with guns, bows with bows, swords with swords.

The Main item would also retain it’s type, that being light/medium/heavy, regardless of the type of the Secondary item. This would insure that the Skin Transmutation can truly be done across all professions.

How would it work?

~ Have Skin Transmutation item in your inventory.

~ Click on the Skin Transmutation item in your inventory and a box will appear on your screen. The box will have two sides; Main Item (the item you wish to transfer the skin into) and the Secondary item (the item you wish to transfer the skin from).

~ You would add the main item into the Main box and the secondary item into the Secondary, which will show you the skin icon at top and the two stat boxes below for each item. There is an arrow between the two skin icons which points away from the Secondary toward the Main so as to make it clear that you’re transfering the skin from the Secondary to the Main.

~ Upon clicking on OK, a second box will pop up asking you if you are certain and explaining in short detail that clicking on Accept, any stats of the Secondary item will be lost and not retrievable in any manner. If you understood that the secondary item’s stats will be completely lost and you only wish to trasnfer the look of the item, click Accept.

~ You now have successfully transmuted an item’s Skin and are now able to dye it in any color(s).

I appreciate any feedback on this subject.

(edited by Sazune.8195)

Posted by: Naz.2607

Naz.2607

I have always wished we could do this. The mix n match possibilities would be out of this world compared to what we have now.

Naz ©

Sazune.8195

Yes, which would be a nice compremise until they decide to expand on the armor/fashion sets. It might not be something many would care about, but for those that do and are avid/active players, it’s a nice change to the monotony we have now.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Well… Anet personally doesn’t seem to want my money so they’re probably never going to do this. But hey, my wallets there on the table, Anet. The next move is yours.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

I support this, there’s nothing I love more than (besides housing & writing) mixing and matching armour sets. As it stands right now there is little to no variety going on right now.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Posted by: Bunmaster.9734

Bunmaster.9734

+1

YARR!! This would be totally awesome, just make all armor skins, it only “becomes” light/medium/heavy armor depending on who is wearing it.

Sazune.8195

+1

YARR!! This would be totally awesome, just make all armor skins, it only “becomes” light/medium/heavy armor depending on who is wearing it.

Yes, agreed. The skin would transmute, but it would still retain the type (light, medium, heavy) and the stats of the original item.

I will add this to the above.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I am, and will always be, opposed to this.

I like that classes have some sort of logical and visual “identity” that makes a reasonable amount of sense. I like that light armor looks light, heavy armor looks heavy, ect. I like that thieves aren’t doing insane acrobatics in plate mail while heavily armored warriors run around in cloth bikinis. I know people will always say “Its fantasy, screw realism and logic!” but I enjoy my fantasy to have at least some amount of reason and logic to it.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I like that classes have some sort of logical and visual “identity” that makes a reasonable amount of sense. I like that light armor looks light, heavy armor looks heavy, ect. I like that thieves aren’t doing insane acrobatics in plate mail while heavily armored warriors run around in cloth bikinis. I know people will always say “Its fantasy, screw realism and logic!” but I enjoy my fantasy to have at least some amount of reason and logic to it.

Yes.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/thumb/5/50/Arah_armor_heavy_human_female_front.jpg/285px-Arah_armor_heavy_human_female_front.jpg

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/5/55/Eagle_armor_heavy_norn_female_front.jpg

Totally realistic. I guess borderline-bikinis are ok if they’re made of metal.

(edited by Celestina.2894)

Sazune.8195

That’s totally fine, you’re fully in your rights to not like it. But just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean that others should be denied the option.

There are games that have an option in the Settings that toggles viewing player customizations. Default customizations from character creation or regular Transmutations, or from items such as Self-Style Hair Kit will still be viewable regardless of this setting.

In this way, you’ll still be able to enjoy the game as you want it and others will be able to enjoy their game the way they want to. But I don’t think they’d go so far as to do that, let alone the above. But it’s just a suggestion nonetheless.

(edited by Sazune.8195)

Posted by: PSX.9250

PSX.9250

I would love my ele to wear a mix a of heavy and light armor!

Hell i’d even wear a butt cape!

Posted by: Lucia The Lightbringer.2568

Lucia The Lightbringer.2568

YES!x10000000 this could help me gear out my thief in some decent skins instead of good old trenchcoats and/or underboob cultural.

You’re not a real dragon. You just look like one around the eyes.
#SkrittBackpacks

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

There isn’t really much reason why a spellcaster couldn’t use armour other than class balance, especially in this game. Mesmers can have a duellist theme going on with sword and already use great-swords to fire magic lasers. Eles can be throwing themselves into front line with a bolt of lightning or blaze of fire and probably would want something more than a piece of cloth protecting them. My ele is even a Norn so it not like she couldn’t lift it (I would get her the SE armour which looks heavier but few run it). Necro’s aren’t particularly mobile and can be tanky so heavy armour fits. A thief wouldn’t necessarily be decked in leather although yes a thief flipping around in plate would be weird. Then again trench coats aren’t the most flexible or light of things either. You can get fast rather than tanky warriors.

Still classes would lose some of their visual identity and theme. I also foresee massive clipping issues when mixing different types. More than we have now.

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

Sazune.8195

Still classes would lose some of their visual identity and theme. I also foresee massive clipping issues when mixing different types. More than we have now.

If by clipping you mean parts of the armor sticking out when you try to mix/match different armor sets together, then yes, agreed, there would probably be even more then than there is now. I’d love to see this fixed, especially if its particularly bad. But so far I haven’t seen any that is atrocious enough to not make me want to wear something. Plus, sometimes it can be hidden if you use a matching color as the item that it’s clipping into.

Most people don’t zoom in on your character just to see what you’re wearing so most might not be that noticeable. But maybe that’s just because I haven’t seen any particularly bad clippings yet.

Posted by: Exosferatu.2961

Exosferatu.2961

I support your suggestion. And I hope they let us transmute town clothes and toys. I want a sword transmuted into a frying pan.

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

Yes.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/thumb/5/50/Arah_armor_heavy_human_female_front.jpg/285px-Arah_armor_heavy_human_female_front.jpg

You left out Gladiator armor which is the all-race version of the norn eagle
Throw out racially bound armor and say that “cultural” means “in the style of” and I’m on board.

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

I support your suggestion. And I hope they let us transmute town clothes and toys. I want a sword transmuted into a frying pan.

The town clothes priate outfit beats all existing non-cultural medium armors like and angry nun with a spare yardstick… I think it’s a sign.

Sazune.8195

Yes.

You left out Gladiator armor which is the all-race version of the norn eagle
Throw out racially bound armor and say that “cultural” means “in the style of” and I’m on board.

Correct me if I’m wrong: I think setting up racially bound items to fit other races might take more doing then simply wearing armor across professions. For example, armor on a Charr is much larger than that of what a Human would wear, And Asura armor is much smaller, so it would mean that the Devs would need to make it so that the armor transmutes to “fit” other races, which would require a lot more work. I think they’d have to create whole new skins to fit.

Though I’m not against this idea either, but I wonder how feasible it would be.

The town clothes priate outfit beats all existing non-cultural medium armors like and angry nun with a spare yardstick… I think it’s a sign.

I can’t stand the town clothes, to be honest. I think they look hideous. Which makes me wonder, why add fashion slots if they’re not even providing actual fashion beyond what they already have in the Gem Shop?

I can’t imagine how much money they’d make from fashion alone, especially if we can mix and match.

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

I’d go one step further and remove armor classes entirely. I’m not seeing much of a justification for it.

Posted by: Shinya.2598

Shinya.2598

IT should be great to have this.
Lets Say i went to make a sylvari with Racial armor. I might like the medium one but not the heavy. So I’ll just Wear the medium one even though i’m heavy!

Posted by: JustARTificial.3175

JustARTificial.3175

I would say yes to this, however I feel like this is a ‘fix’ to an issue that shouldn’t exist.

Looking on the Gem store and with say the Flamekissed gear, it’s clear as day to see that the Light/Medium gear is in another world to that of the Heavy Gear. I can pick and choose, but the Droconic gear pales to that of the Duelist set.

Some sets just look so uninspired, while others looked shoe-horned into fitting a set template.

Sazune.8195

I would say yes to this, however I feel like this is a ‘fix’ to an issue that shouldn’t exist.

Looking on the Gem store and with say the Flamekissed gear, it’s clear as day to see that the Light/Medium gear is in another world to that of the Heavy Gear. I can pick and choose, but the Droconic gear pales to that of the Duelist set.

Some sets just look so uninspired, while others looked shoe-horned into fitting a set template.

You’re definitely right, it’s an issue that shouldn’t exist but does nonetheless. This suggestion is just a compremise until they do decide to do something about it, which could be very soon or years from now.

From what I can see in the current Gem Store, they’re not too concerned about making profits, which is a bit odd considering they don’t have a monthly subscription. I suppose they make enough money from game/Gem purchases alone.

At any rate, a small/temp fix is still better than nothing at all, for the time being.

Celestina.2894

I’d go one step further and remove armor classes entirely. I’m not seeing much of a justification for it.

I do kind of feel the same way honestly. I know there’s the armor amount, but most of our defense is active/passive skills/hp rather then the armor itself.

Sazune.8195

I do kind of feel the same way honestly. I know there’s the armor amount, but most of our defense is active/passive skills/hp rather then the armor itself.

Perhaps you’re both right, and it would give people even more freedom in customizing not only their looks, but their builds as well.

Celestina.2894

Perhaps you’re both right, and it would give people even more freedom in customizing not only their looks, but their builds as well.

Personally I just want to use medium tier 3 sylvari female on a sylvari guardian.

They way that armor dyes is so sexy it should be a crime.

Sazune.8195

Personally I just want to use medium tier 3 sylvari female on a sylvari guardian.

Would you have screenshots of that?

Celestina.2894

Would you have screenshots of that?

Yeah, although I have always felt screen shots never do the game justice, but I do have multiples. Keep in mind there are only two colors being used here. Midnight Ice and Sky dye. The rest is just a natural result of the combo from what I can tell.

I actually made a thief just for this outfit but if it was not locked to med……..

Attachments:

(edited by Celestina.2894)

Posted by: Roxhemar.6039

Roxhemar.6039

I REALLY don’t want to see an Asura in Norn steel…thank you very much. The minimum height Asian themed humans with colorful backpacks are already enough silliness.

Posted by: Name.9625

Name.9625

I say No! Let us at least keep this bit of difference in the looks of armor types

Sazune.8195

I REALLY don’t want to see an Asura in Norn steel…thank you very much. The minimum height Asian themed humans with colorful backpacks are already enough silliness.

Professions aren’t races. Norns will still wear Norn armor, Asura wear Asuran armor, Humans wear Human armors, etc.

What Skin Transmutation would allow is, for example, a Guardian (who wears heavy armor) to be able to wear light armor, but only skin wise. That means that the heavy armor’s stats remain static, they won’t change, and only the look of the light armor would be transmuted onto the heavy armor.

Maybe some Guardians like the look of Masquerade armor. Or maybe some Necros like the look of Gladiator armor. The armors and weapons would still be race bound, but not profession bound.

Celestina.2894

I say No! Let us at least keep this bit of difference in the looks of armor types

Removing class restrictions on armor looks would open up a ton more variety.

Sazune.8195

What difference would it make? And this would allow even more variety in the looks of armor types. Unless you’re in the habit of checking everyone’s profession as you pass them on the street or while dungeon crawling, I don’t see how it makes any difference to anyone.

We already have Guardians who use staffs and wield magic, so why can’t a Guardian have the look of light armor?

And the light armor class can use swords and axes, so why can’t they have the look of heavy armor?

The professions are already mixed, in a sense, so I fail to see why we can’t take it a step further. Each profession’s armor sets would still retain the stats according to their profession, as I’ve stated several times above, the only thing that would transmute are the skins.

Attachments:

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

What difference would it make? And this would allow even more variety in the looks of armor types. Unless you’re in the habit of checking everyone’s profession as you pass them on the street or while dungeon crawling, I don’t see how it makes any difference to anyone.

We already have Guardians who use staffs and wield magic, so why can’t a Guardian have the look of light armor?

And the light armor class can use swords and axes, so why can’t they have the look of heavy armor?

The professions are already mixed, in a sense, so I fail to see why we can’t take it a step further. Each profession’s armor sets would still retain the stats according to their profession, as I’ve stated several times above, the only thing that would transmute are the skins.

I fail to see how being able to use magic means you should wear light armor. Lore-wise, a Guardians magic is their to aid allies in battle since they are a war themed magical class. Of course they need heavy armor.

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

Sazune.8195

I fail to see how being able to use magic means you should wear light armor. Lore-wise, a Guardians magic is their to aid allies in battle since they are a war themed magical class. Of course they need heavy armor.

Not once did I mention the word should, but rather, could, or inferred it, at least. It’s entirely optional, so I fail to see why it couldn’t be up to the user to choose. Maybe some Guardians like the look of light armor, or medium. I can imagine some pretty nice combinations.

Posted by: Pie Flavor.1647

Pie Flavor.1647

really? that’s the ONLY part of his entire post you got? nice cherry picking.

And I am become kitten, the destroyer of kittens

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

I say no. Armor aesthetics is integral to a class’ identity and theme.

And besides there would be horrible clipping issues with most combination. The devs disabled combining gear of different weights in the dressing room for that exact reason.

What we should be asking for is more diversity in gear aesthetics, or at least the option to customize the look of existing ones beyond just the color. We’re probably not getting more armors before an expansion though.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

I posted a similar subject a week before this post as well, would definitely love being able to mix armor appearances. Limiting appearance by class makes no sense when you can trait and gear a soldier to have nothing in Toughness and Vitality; they’re glass cannons, let them dress like glass cannons.

I’m really hoping the upcoming “Removing Restrictions” blog post is exactly about this. My zerk warrior can sport a leather coat (instead of that heavy, heavy strap of leather draped across his chest) and my juggernaut engineer can slap on T3 charr cultural plate armor and actually look like a juggernaut.

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

+1, why not… I’m sick of Medium Armor designs here…
Finally I could look like a real ranger with Heavy/Light, lol.

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

Posted by: Linnea.5146

Linnea.5146

In my opinion, the real issue is that there’s so little variation for each armor class (the old trenchcoat discussion). I’d much rather see the time invested in making a variety of new armors. I’m not against eles wearing heavier-looking armor, the HotW light dungeon armor goes in that direction and I love it, or warriors wearing more slimmed down armor. I’d just rather have more armor. A lot more.

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

really? that’s the ONLY part of his entire post you got? nice cherry picking.

Thanks, I need the freshest ones for the right Pie Flavor. I wasn’t nitpicking as that point can be morphed for relevancy. If guardians were supposed to have light armor then Anet would have made them a scholar class. If elementalist were supposed to have heavy armor than they’d be a heavy class. The classes are not mixed via weapons as it would be boring having one weapon per class type. Imagine if only mages could use scepters and staves, no swords. Or if only medium classes could use daggers or pistols. That enough is to give diversity between armor types. Like someone said above, even if it is just an opinion, no one would picture say a thief wearing heavy armor doing parkour like they do. No one would picture a warrior wearing basically a bra into combat.

Anet did this to make class types stand out. If armor types were to be mixed then you might as well start mixing professions since at that point if they all look alike (I mean not literally but if everyone had a mix of heavy light and medium armor, in that sense, everyone would be alike) then you might as well play alike. I had fun mixing armors in preview when we still could, yes, but I knew that classes needed something to make them stand distinct from one another. if anything I want more variety on medium gear, tired of coats. Perhaps an alternative as well is to have Class Specific Armor in the future.

Not once did I mention the word should, but rather, could, or inferred it, at least. It’s entirely optional, so I fail to see why it couldn’t be up to the user to choose. Maybe some Guardians like the look of light armor, or medium. I can imagine some pretty nice combinations.

Right you did infer not imply. My apologies. Regardless, while I agree there would be some exotic armor combinations, I personally think it should stay separate. Now they can add heavier or lighter looking armor to the types, that’s a different story, but as for the whole shebang, I don’t think so.

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

(edited by RedSpectrum.1975)

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

No, I don’t want to play a guessing game every time I am in WvW until I get close enough to click on someone. Now is that a Thief I see there or Is that a Elementalist d/d rolling in Medium armor?

Lets just leave it as is.

Edit: Yes, I realize there are other tells as I think about it. Armor just stands out until you see someone pop a skill. Besides I remember rolling with a friend a while back, we both Played Human Male thieves and both used the same build/look/colors. In our mask we might have been twins.

Then we started roaming. It was fun to mess with people while doing it, but lets not open up a whole other can of worms with this….

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

(edited by Talyn.3295)

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

Variety yes, that should be here already… IMO most of medium armor looks completely idiotic. Where are the D&D ones we LOVE?

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

Posted by: Sekhmet.6153

Sekhmet.6153

I would support it. Good idea.

Posted by: Falleo.1362

Falleo.1362

Pls give us information how we get Transmution charges and how much will cost. All cost the same or rare/blue/exotic have different costs? thx

Posted by: MrFlump.8725

MrFlump.8725

“If you’ve been hoarding Transmutation Stones and Crystals, don’t worry! When the Wardrobe goes live, you’ll be able to convert your them into Transmutation Charges. Transmutation Crystals can be directly converted into charges, and Transmutation Stones can be converted at a three-to-one rate.”

going by this they I assume that they drop from the same places, maybe at a lower rate because of there only being one type, and still be on the gem store. There will most likely one type of Transmutation charge, considering both Stones and Crystals can be converted into them (though at different rates)

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

I assume they’ll be attainable in the ways the level 80 transmutes currently are so gemstore, BL chests and dailies. I hope it’s not though as the ever increasing cost of gems in gold is making it harder and harder for players to change their looks without real world money.

Posted by: Riot Inducer.8964

Riot Inducer.8964

Also given that trasmutation stones as map completion rewards were usually in groups of three and the new conversion rate of stones is 3 to 1 I’d say future map completion rewards will be simply 1 charge.

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

Yes, all of the above sounds logical.

However, T-stones were also originally in the Gem Store. So the real question that needs answering here is…what will be the gem prices for the new T-charges?

Will they be identical to the existing T-stone prices?

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

How will Transmutation Charges work? Will we just buy them on the gemstore like Transmutation Crystals/Stones or is there something different in mind (apart from the conversion of crystals/stones to charges).

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I assume since they’re basically turning stones into charges that we will be able to buy them on the gem store.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”