Feedback about the leveling system

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

Edit: ArenaNet, you can’t seriously think the changes to the leveling system were good, can you? The players in China hated it – why did you force it on us after saying you’d keep the Western and Chinese versions of the game seperate?

Dyes are too confusing. We can dye our armor at character creation but until level 6, we shouldn’t be able to do any more of that.

Dodging is too challenging for new players to pick up.

So are weapon skills.
Skill points.
Vistas.
Gathering.
The wardrobe system.
Minipets.
Guilds.
PvP.
Underwater combat.
Downed state.
Idle animations.
F1 and other abilities.
Weapon swapping.
Elite skills

I’m so glad that new players and experienced players alike (on alts) don’t have to experience these confusing features until later levels without any introduction whatsoever. I’m also ecstatic that the new GPS system shows us where to go.

I put myself into the mindset of a new player and was able to successfully take my Charr straight from Black Citadel to Diessa Plateau. After that I was directed to Wayfarer Foothills. It was a tough journey but the game told me that’s where I should be heading at level 2.

After an hour of dying and running I finally got to Wayfarer Foothills. What an awesome area! I still died a lot because I didn’t have many weapon skills but that must be part of the challenge new players must overcome.

What a relief when my GPS told me to go to Frostgorge Sound next! That area sounds AWESOME! That area was much harder than the previous and even yellow mobs were destroying me in a single hit, but I think I just need to learn the game a bit more and must not be good at it yet.

I left the new player mindset and set off to make a new character. Now after having multiple level 80s, Dungeon Master, Fractal level 40, and full ascended gear, I’m glad to say that I am forced to undergo those “features” on new characters that I make – which is super convenient because I might not know how to dodge on that particular character yet, or use my HoM armor or other cool features that plague higher levels.

I can’t believe any of this crap actually got past QA. These forums and Reddit are lighting up right now over how terrible these “features” are. Want to talk to a class trainer in Queensdale as a level 80? Too bad. Learn to play.

…Sarcasm over. It’d be funny if it wasn’t so sad. Please tell me these “features” from the Chinese release (which even the Chinese players hated by the way) are on their way out. We didn’t ask for this and we don’t want it. This is MUCH MORE CONFUSING AND OVERWHELMING for the GW2 playerbase (which as Anet thinks is a bunch of window lickers).

But hey, at least we can level some characters until November 4th hits.

Right guys?

(edited by TehPwnerer.7215)

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Wait, dying armors is now level-gated too? What the skritt.

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

Lrn 2 dodge : )

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Plus 100 to this topic’s poster. Oh wait, that’s not unlocked until Lv90. Brambles…guess I’ll give you plus 1 then.

TehPwnerer.7215

Woops forgot to add “Salvaging” to the original list.

Salvaging was way too overwhelming and confusing for new players. So were Points of Interest.

I’m seriously sitting here in disbelief. I have no idea what they were thinking. ArenaNet – what happened to “The Western version would not be affected by the Chinese version”? That’s literally all this feature patch is…

(edited by TehPwnerer.7215)

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

Anet SO blew it with this part of the update. NPE…such a disaster in every way.

game starting to feel like its being set up to go F2P…. wink wink.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

You can do almsot ALL of that stuff without ever leaving your home city, FYI. They TEACH you if you havent’ already known of those functions (You knwo for NEW people). If you already know how to do it, jsut do it. There are only a few things you can’t do.

You can do at level 1:
Dodge
Dye Armor
Harvest Materials (go into the city when you get outta the first story and buy some form a crafting master)
Craft Items (just talk to the guy like before and learn the discipline)
You can Visit Vistas AND PoIs you just aren’t directed to them.
WvW or PvP (Use Hot Keys to open the panels or go to LA from Home City to access the Asura Gates)
Can Use Wardrobe just open it up
Can use Minis
Can Access your Bank/Guild Bank
Can Access the Guild Panel Hit G
Can do Jumping Puzzles (I did Morgans Spiral at level 3 and the secret troll one at level 2 just to see)
Can Map Complete and get rewards for it.

The Combat stuff is true and locked behind a leveling curve that is significantly increased (It only took me 30 minutes to get to level 10 where all my weapon skills for ALL weapons were unlocked)

At level 13 about 45 min into a new character I unlocked my first Utility skill and as such unlocked Skill Point Challenges. Also, you can use Knowledge Scrolls at any level to learn new healing skills if you don’t like the first one.

EDIT: you also unlock the 1-10 Personal Story at ten and can do the whole arc at once. I did that at level 13 and it got me to level 17 and have a LOT of nice goodies and included the Black Lion Key.

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

(edited by Paradox.1380)

Posted by: Deim Hunir.8503

Deim Hunir.8503

The new leveling system so far, is a REALLY BAD JOKE. That said it made some people do some funny videos on youtube about it …

Guess atleast I had a laugh because of it for a few minutes.

But in all seriousness… the change is insulting to our intelligence and poorly done.
But worst of all, it’s boring.

You can do much better than this, so what’s your next move ?

Surprise me like you did with Season 2 ;D

(edited by Deim Hunir.8503)

Posted by: Murke.7193

Murke.7193

When I had last looked there was a locked symbol next to the dyes and wardrobe tabs, but now that’s gone when I make a new toon. Thankfully it seems that level locking the wardrobe and dyes was a bug.

Paradox, I adore you. <3

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

You can do almsot ALL of that stuff without ever leaving your home city, FYI. They TEACH you if you havent’ already known of those functions (You knwo for NEW people). If you already know how to do it, jsut do it. There are only a few things you can’t do.

You can do at level 1:
Dodge
Dye Armor
Harvest Materials (go into the city when you get outta the first story and buy some form a crafting master)
WvW or PvP (Use Hot Keys to open the panels or go to LA from Home City to access the Asura Gates)
Can use Minis
Can do Jumping Puzzles (I did Morgans Spiral at level 3 and the secret troll one at level 2 just to see)

The Combat stuff is true and locked behind a leveling curve that is significantly increased (It only took me 30 minutes to get to level 10 where all my weapon skills for ALL weapons were unlocked)

At level 13 about 45 min into a new character I unlocked my first Utility skill and as such unlocked Skill Point Challenges. Also, you can use Knowledge Scrolls at any level to learn new healing skills if you don’t like the first one.

EDIT: you also unlock the 1-10 Personal Story at ten and can do the whole arc at once. I did that at level 13 and it got me to level 17 and have a LOT of nice goodies and included the Black Lion Key.

Nah, dont spoil the fun of watching these supposed “vets” and “pros” embarass themselves like OP.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Paradox.1380

Sorry, Mika, but My brain hurts from all of this and I actually LIKE most of the changes to the NPE =(

TehPwnerer.7215

You can do at level 1:
Dodge
Dye Armor
Can use Minis

Nah, dont spoil the fun of watching these supposed “vets” and “pros” embarass themselves like OP.

You’re hilarious, bub. I’m sitting here looking at a new account now and they seem to have fixed some of the bugs for accounts who had max level characters already, but everything I mentioned in OP still stands for new accounts.

Nice flame bait.

MikaHR.1978

Sorry, Mika, but My brain hurts from all of this and I actually LIKE most of the changes to the NPE =(

Actually something goodcame out of this, it showed that “vets” actually need these tutorials.

Its pretty darn good noob filter

We need a new category: vet-noob or noob-vet.

Paradox.1380

I did all that on a new account. Its NOT flamebait, all of it is doable that I put on that list.

MikaHR.1978

You can do at level 1:
Dodge
Dye Armor
Can use Minis

You’re hilarious, bub. I’m sitting here looking at a new account now and they seem to have fixed some of the bugs for accounts who had max level characters already, but everything I mentioned in OP still stands for new accounts.

Nice flame bait.

Oh dont worry, i completely understand you.

Posted by: Jinroh.4251

Jinroh.4251

So do they test these patches before implementing them?

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Great feedback!

Can we please try to consolidate these threads into this one?
(https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Feature-pack-9-9-feedback/page/7#post4393194)

That way we wont have 15 threads about the same thing, and can keep it in one spot that is easier for the devs to see and reference. Thanks!

(Now just to get a moderator to merge them )

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

TehPwnerer.7215

So do they test these patches before implementing them?

It’s been painfully obvious for over a year that Anet has no quality control testers. Most of these bugs were found within minutes of the patch going live. I feel bad for the Chinese players who’ve had the same patch and probably the same bugs still (since, you know, it was a copy paste).

Posted by: Murke.7193

Murke.7193

Also in the OP’s defense the dyes, wardobe, etc, were level locked. Luckily it’s been fixed since.

TehPwnerer.7215

Great feedback!

(https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Feature-pack-9-9-feedback/page/7#post4393194)

That way we wont have 15 threads about the same thing, and can keep it in one spot that is easier for the devs to see and reference. Thanks!

Easier for the devs to wait until it gets buried, you mean.

RIP Cantha thread.
RIP Suggestion forum.

Posted by: Adelas.6598

Adelas.6598

Paradox.1380

Also in the OP’s defense the dyes, wardobe, etc, were level locked. Luckily it’s been fixed since.

These are all known bugs. Also the person was in the Beginning story instance at the time which might have something to do with it.

I have have non of these problems and I had my Golem Banker in the beginning Story Instance and got right into my bank from there on a new account.

Posted by: Arghore.8340

Arghore.8340

While i am still somewhat in shock, and not sure if i should join in the frenzy or give constructive critism, and changes i would personally make… i guess i can make a joke about it…

game starting to feel like its being set up to go F2P…. wink wink.

“We are sorry that the new levelling system was so ill received, to make up for your frustration we will be giving a 50% off on all levelling boosters in the coming weekend”.
Sorry if that didn’t do it for you either, i thought it was a good joke when i just thought of it… but when reading it over it’s mostly just saddening, guess in that sense it’s still appropriate .

We are peace, we are war. We are how we treat each other and nothing more…
25 okt 2014 – PinkDay in LA

pdavis.8031

Great feedback!

RIP Cantha thread.
RIP Suggestion forum.

iirc the cantha thread never really died, and was active again recently…
I was not really a part of the suggestion forums, so i can’t comment on that.

But the trait thread is still going strong, as well as most other feedback threads that were merged. Yes the devs read them but dont always respond. If we are trying to get our opinions heard, having 37 threads about the same thing popping up, isnt going to help, as it means more time to try to monitor everything.

recognize my command!”

pdavis.8031

Ill try to make a note :P

Im not trying to be a forum cop or anything, but keep similar topics together helps those wanting to say something be able to find it easier, and keeps it consolidated and organized for the devs.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

TehPwnerer.7215 it begs the question are the Chinese audience thought of as morons and we must be brought down to their level?

I’ll tell you one thing, I’m an altaholic with sporadic installs, the game now sounds kittene, can I get a refund on my gem purchases in the last 2 weeks, they’re sure as kitten my last! Who the hell is driving @ Anet?

MikaHR.1978

TehPwnerer.7215 it begs the question are the Chinese audience thought of as morons and we must be brought down to their level?

I’ll tell you one thing, I’m an altaholic with sporadic installs, the game now sounds kittene, can I get a refund on my gem purchases in the last 2 weeks, they’re sure as kitten my last! Who the hell is driving @ Anet?

Actually these changes were driven by community playing the game for last 2 years.

So if youre speaking of morons

Paul.4081

MikaHR BS. You name me one person in your guild that had a contribution. You name one in any!

TehPwnerer.7215

Great feedback!

RIP Cantha thread.
RIP Suggestion forum.

But the trait thread is still going strong, as well as most other feedback threads that were merged. Yes the devs read them but dont always respond. If we are trying to get our opinions heard, having 37 threads about the same thing popping up, isnt going to help, as it means more time to try to monitor everything.

Because having 1 massive thread is doing wonders for the trait system right?

Paul.4081

Baaaaaah! We have morons, and then we have sheep!

Paul.4081

MikaHR.1978 how long do I have to wait?

MikaHR.1978

MikaHR BS. You name me one person in your guild that had a contribution. You name one in any!

I dont memorize names of countless cluesless people that ive met over the past 2 years, sorry its just not worth brain space.

I dont memorize countless posters about how your character is “complete” at level 30 and theres nothing afterwards.

All these changes in these 2 feature packs are due to feedback from community in past 2 years. Now you can say your thanks to community and thanks Anet for listening to community.

Oh and if you want to whine about something whine abut traits (and that change was because of DIRECT feedback from comunity) as that is actually bad stuff for new players, not if he will get skills few levels earlier or later.

Oh and you can appologize to Chinese on behalf of NA/EU communuty while youre at it, if you really feel like you said you feel.

(edited by MikaHR.1978)

pdavis.8031

Great feedback!

RIP Cantha thread.
RIP Suggestion forum.

Because having 1 massive thread is doing wonders for the trait system right?

Hey all,

-snip-

TLDR;
We added this system as a direct result from the horizontal progression CDI. We are always reading your feedback, however, we don’t always have time to respond right away or action it quickly. We updated some trait unlocks in the past but we can do more. How can you help?
1) Give us a list of the most offensive trait unlock locations.
2) Keep giving feedback and be patient as this is a big ship and it takes time to steer it.

From the trait feedback thread. The new trait system was added because WE asked for it.

But back on topic. Theses feedback threads are good, lets keep them up, and try to keep it organized. Thanks!

recognize my command!”

Paul.4081

So basically we have to take things at your word by comparison to reality?

MikaHR.1978

So basically we have to take things at your word by comparison to reality?

Nope, you just had to play the game for past 2 years and pay attention to whats happening.

Paul.4081

Oh, I played for the past 2 year, since head start and this is garbage!

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Wait, dying armors is now level-gated too? What the skritt.

It is note please see. If it is for you it is likely a bug.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Misconceptions-regarding-Level-gating/first

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Paul.4081

Just bought the Psycho pack for Borderlands 2. Guess we have to wait a while before meaningful anything in GW2…

MikaHR.1978

Oh, I played for the past 2 year, since head start and this is garbage!

Yeah, i wish ANet just stop listening to community.

Posted by: Zolarie.8293

Zolarie.8293

So glad I bought those 3 new character slots last week. Now I have 3 low level characters that will get to sit there untouched. As a bonus, every time I log in I get to see their portraits smiling at me as a reminder of money that would have been just as useful if I had burned it.