Flamekissed: Before and After

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Acrisor.8097

Acrisor.8097

In my opinion Anet could simply sell only the special effects, and let the user apply that effect to whatever skin they like. This would save them lots of time from reskins.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

No quite, the “special effects” are baked into the armor skin.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

ponders

Anyone got a picture of this on a human female dyed midnight red by chance?

I’m actually not fond of feathered armor (no idea why), but this might be alright in the right colors I suppose. I still sort of preferred the t3 version of it…oh well..

Here it is…

That’s….. not so bad.

ponders

Thank you very much.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Deim Hunir.8503

Deim Hunir.8503

Looks allright, but I’m really not fond of the male version on humans and sylvari, it looks awkward in shape and design. Large and too short sleeves not really working with the bare torso and the skirt is too high up etc.
Also the shoulders are too big for my taste.
That said it’s more a problem about the feathered armour.
It’s like one of the very VERY rare male light armour sets that shows any amount of skin and yet it manages to have almost 0 sex appeal as far as I am concerned.

(edited by Deim Hunir.8503)

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

This re-skin of one of the worst light armour sets in the game is so bad, it is hilarious …

Would really like to see the number of refund requests ..

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Posted by: Macondo.4827

Macondo.4827

I got a refund but they didn’t give me my old armor skin back. I don’t want this skin at all.
:(

how long did the refund take?
still waiting for mine

Alicia Kingsleigh – Blackgate.
PRX – MoAR – PEW

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Same old issues on norn females, im glad nobody at anet even took the time to go LOOK at how this would turn out on said models

What issue do you have with norn females ? I don’t see any problems.

Attachments:

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Same old issues on norn females, im glad nobody at anet even took the time to go LOOK at how this would turn out on said models

I think the shoulders are the issue. Yours are hidden, though.

But I’m not sure entirely.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Beldin.5498

Ah ok .. i always hide shoulders .. on all of my characters

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Lilith Ajit.6173

Ah ok .. i always hide shoulders .. on all of my characters

Me too, on my human and norn characters. Lol

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

Beldin.5498

Me too, on my human and norn characters. Lol

Yeah .. i also only play Norn and Humans

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Well, this is the best I’ve been able to do to try and get things back to where they were. Top 4 are Abyss and the bottom two are Midnight Fire for anyone thinking of using those dyes.

The starter flame eye, while a step down from the old gem/mask, is better than than the new mask unless a character has bangs to cover the effect-less splotch and a hairstyle that doesn’t clip with the sidepiece.

I went with the hellfire gauntlets over the set gloves, which were uninspiring. I tried the CoF gloves and they looked like an upgrade over the set gloves as well.

Attachments:

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

I hope flamekissed is the last armor that they use pre-existing meshes for.

Gem store skins should be completely unique in design, such as viper armor, or profane armor.

When Anet said they were going to change the armor to something different I thought they were talking about all flamekissed armor. Instead, they only changed light armor from t3 human cultural to feathered armor which did not make my feelings about it any better.

Anet is better than this. It feels like they got lazy.

Posted by: Mazreal Blackknight.1564

Mazreal Blackknight.1564

Profane is a reskin of an npc necro in presearing ascalon

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

Yep: From goddess to prostitute in 300-some megabytes… There is no comparison, and waiting 2 months on THIS while the art department worked on new weapon skins and we were promised by forum mods in posts that no longer seem to exist that it would be on par and that “we might like it” is just low…

Attachments:

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

Wait, they just did another re-skin?
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, oh wow, and people paid for it.

Such a cynical lack of creativity on display from the ArenaNet team here. They basically took an existing skin and applied a shader to it. It’s 10 minutes work at the most and requires the creative abilities of a trained monkey.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Lilith Ajit.6173

I just found it interesting that when they pulled the first one from the gems tore, they said something along the lines of “though not intended, it did resemble t3 human cultural.” But, like, it seems to me that their intention for this armor set was to have them be reskins. But if that was their intention, their very blatant and obvious intention, why would they not be surprised that the first armor set resembled t3? It just doesn’t make sense to me.

I hate the new Flamekissed, though I do like the helm. I have since changed my norn back to her old look, with winged armor, but I’ll definitely always miss the first Flamekissed.

[ARES]

Macondo.4827

Yep: From goddess to prostitute in 300-some megabytes… There is no comparison, and waiting 2 months on THIS while the art department worked on new weapon skins and we were promised by forum mods in posts that no longer seem to exist that it would be on par and that “we might like it” is just low…

nice abs :P

PRX – MoAR – PEW

Inimicus.7162

I just found it interesting that when they pulled the first one from the gems tore, they said something along the lines of “though not intended, it did resemble t3 human cultural.” But, like, it seems to me that their intention for this armor set was to have them be reskins. But if that was their intention, their very blatant and obvious intention, why would they not be surprised that the first armor set resembled t3? It just doesn’t make sense to me.

I hate the new Flamekissed, though I do like the helm. I have since changed my norn back to her old look, with winged armor, but I’ll definitely always miss the first Flamekissed.

in a bait and switch scheme normally the replacement would already be in line to go out on purchase…but this has turned into said scheme because they made the blatant mistake of putting out the first set in the first place, than made it a borderline legal issue by removing it on the complaints of people who didn’t spend real money on it… and now have made it that much worse because they waited 2 entire months to do…this.. Yea, the people who spent real money in the end are not getting what was offered and paid for, and currently the best recourse they have is being offered the ability to get back gems from a store which we now know can have items sold through it changed without real warning, and without real consent. I say put original flamekissed back, give it back to everyone who had it, keep this new burlesque outfit they have in the gem store and have the original sell at a permanent merchant to all races once more for the normal price of t3 culture armor…and go ahead and put particles on other t3’s and sell em for 119g to all other races interested too.

The asthetic side to why people bought the original is in a post of mine above, its quite showy, but it says “Mess with me and you will die, slowly.” The feathered set was/is unimpressive and looks more like something a Vegas showgirl might wear while dancing on stage, not really hardcore. And that asura NPC named High Councillor Flaxx is probably still wearing his human T3, just saying.

Pic thx to gw2 wiki:

Attachments:

Inimicus.7162

I notice you aren’t displaying the shoulders, they are sized/shaped for norn males. The proportion of the boots/gloves has them stretched quite thin to make up for the height of the character (too small), and I don’t care to stare at this outfit long enough, but norn females had a very noticeable gap between the slippers and whatever that thing is above their ankles.

Clearly they ONLY looked at the human model for this set when it was originally designed because it (and so many others) doesn’t look so… plain on the humans

Inimicus.7162

Well, I for one, am very happy with the change…

Your character is human, they proportioned the original feathered set specifically to human, while i had both the t3 and flamekissed on some human characters of mine, the norns who I prefer for looks because i hate the way sylvari turned out, and humans all look 15 to me…the norns suffer horrible issues due to the fact that female norns basically wear their armor over a male norn’s mesh… so while this isnt bad looking on a human (still prefer original), they used a human female model in their gem store add for a very good reason.

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

Yep: From goddess to prostitute

I seriously don’t see the qualitative difference you’re describing there.

Posted by: Immortal.3647

Immortal.3647

new flamekissed makes me wanna cry…

please anet fire your armor designers and hire ppl that actually do design armor and not just copy paste.

Inimicus.7162

Yep: From goddess to prostitute

I seriously don’t see the qualitative difference you’re describing there.

Feathered armor looks like something a showgirl or some ballerina might wear on stage, it isn’t revealing enough in the right places, it doesn’t produce that air of dominance… feathered and the flamekiss redo looks like that girl who thinks shes dressing sassy but calls the cops the moment you say hello to her.

The previous one reaks of a girl who doesn’t mind showing it off, but who WILL KILL YOU if you even think to say something, it has evil queen written all over the look and feel, its quite revealing, but still quite regal, and lest we forget that the ornamentation on the old armor (the shoulders epecially) did look like crowns.

feathered = dancer, stripper, prostitute… a woman being put on show by someone else
human t3 = that evil queen who shows it cause she has it and will kill you slowly herself for fun if you even think to say anything

quality answered?

Posted by: Soulmyr.8094

Soulmyr.8094

Funny how it actually looks better. That dye job is very unflattering though.

Inimicus.7162

Funny how it actually looks better. That dye job is very unflattering though.

glad you think so, its in the gem store, go get some for yourself

to me its the difference between that hot evil woman who flaunts it cause she has it and that nerd girl who puts on her outift one time to catch a sucker and never wears anything like it ever again. I didn’t pay money to look like one of those nerd girls, i paid money to look like that evil queen who will enjoy killing you because nobody has the power to stop her

and the dye job was the one to match the old t3, there isnt any dye in the world that can make that piece of excrement look like a rose for my mesmer

Posted by: Candy.6835

Candy.6835

If I hadn’t already asked for my gems back I would ask for them again.
I honestly want a transmutation splitter to get this stuff off my asurian but I don’t have anything to change it from.

What is with Anet and keeping actual SKIRTS off of light armor asurians.

Posted by: DPrime.3954

DPrime.3954

in a bait and switch scheme normally the replacement would already be in line to go out on purchase…but this has turned into said scheme because they made the blatant mistake of putting out the first set in the first place, than made it a borderline legal issue by removing it on the complaints of people who didn’t spend real money on it… and now have made it that much worse because they waited 2 entire months to do…this.. Yea, the people who spent real money in the end are not getting what was offered and paid for, and currently the best recourse they have is being offered the ability to get back gems from a store which we now know can have items sold through it changed without real warning, and without real consent. I say put original flamekissed back, give it back to everyone who had it, keep this new burlesque outfit they have in the gem store and have the original sell at a permanent merchant to all races once more for the normal price of t3 culture armor…and go ahead and put particles on other t3’s and sell em for 119g to all other races interested too.

This is completely a bait and switch scheme. We were baited with the human tier 3 armor and they switched to this new armor. This isn’t what people wanted to buy, it was forced upon us. People spent REAL money to buy this armor and now we get in-store credit refund? That’s fraud. Anet should be forced to return the T3 sets to those who bought them.

Inimicus.7162

This is completely a bait and switch scheme. We were baited with the human tier 3 armor and they switched to this new armor. This isn’t what people wanted to buy, it was forced upon us. People spent REAL money to buy this armor and now we get in-store credit refund? That’s fraud. Anet should be forced to return the T3 sets to those who bought them.

Yes, all i was pointing out is that it wasn’t their original plan, they knee-jerked and caved to people who didn’t spend real money. They took a mistake and turned it into a fraud.

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Your character is human, they proportioned the original feathered set specifically to human, while i had both the t3 and flamekissed on some human characters of mine, the norns who I prefer for looks because i hate the way sylvari turned out, and humans all look 15 to me…the norns suffer horrible issues due to the fact that female norns basically wear their armor over a male norn’s mesh… so while this isnt bad looking on a human (still prefer original), they used a human female model in their gem store add for a very good reason.

Yea I haven’t seen the armor on the rest of the races prior to me taking my screenies.. I noticed they really don’t look as good particularly on norns.. :/

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Inimicus.7162

Yea I haven’t seen the armor on the rest of the races prior to me taking my screenies.. I noticed they really don’t look as good particularly on norns.. :/

Yea, it’s why i dropped enough money into the gem store to get 6 sets of the armor, a character slot for that norn mesmer i showed earlier, kasmeer’s staff and a hair kit for said mesmer. I would never have made that character, and would have swallowed my dislikes for the human character designs if I didn’t think i was going to finally have a beautiful light armor for a norn..i may even have done a necromancer the same if it wasn’t yanked from the gem store…
So my Norn mesmer and ele both are screwed out of pve and pvp armors, my human and sylvari ele both lose this stuff, but currently it looks like my human is also losing at least the leggings of the actual human t3 set because I don’t remember if I had bought her the shoulders yet when it came out.

It was anet’s mistake not mine, and I am losing real money for it, thus the outrage… and it doesn’t matter how little people think it cost, because this means that anything bought via the gem store (a store designed to attract real money with secondary allowance for game gold) can be changed without warning, without consent, and without any financial penalty to the company involved. Right now it stinks of a fraud, that is their own fault, gems in return stinks of a secondary con. This can’t be stated enough imo.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

People spent REAL money to buy this armor and now we get in-store credit refund? That’s fraud

They took a mistake and turned it into a fraud

Fraud is a deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain

Not sure you guys are using the correct word here…

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Anet is refunding those that have requested a refund. No harm done. Just request a refund. Sheesh.

DPrime.3954

Anet is refunding those that have requested a refund. No harm done. Just request a refund. Sheesh.

They are giving an in-store credit. They are not sending me a $10USD cheque in the mail. There is also the matter of principal that a crime which is both a civil wrong and a criminal wrong.

Inimicus.7162

People spent REAL money to buy this armor and now we get in-store credit refund? That’s fraud

Fraud is a deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain

That is probably quite true, but is there a word for when what can really be called fraud, (bait and switch, they are keeping my money after selling me something i didn’t actually purchase… or more correctly, turning something I purchased into something it was not without any consent of mine) results as a secondary consequence of a bad reaction to a related subject?

DPrime.3954

Bait-and-switch is a form of fraud used in retail sales but also employed in other contexts. The unfair gain is that I’m out $10USD, and I have the ability to get in-store credit, not a refund. Anet is still retaining my $10USD, GEMS have no out of game value. I can’t sell those GEMS to anyone. If I sell the gold I converted those GEMS into I’ll be removed from the game. I really don’t care about $10USD, it’s the principal of the matter that bothers me. They have now set a precedent that they can change anything even after purchase. This is morally and criminally wrong.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

They are giving an in-store credit. They are not sending me a $10USD cheque in the mail. There is also the matter of principal that a crime which is both a civil wrong and a criminal wrong.

This isn’t any different than returning something to WalMart or Toys R Us though. You return an item, they give you a gift card. (Yes, there’s a bit more to it, but you get the general point here. Let’s not nit pick)

You spent money on gems. You spent those gems on an armor set. They are refunding you the gems you purchased. You can use those gems at any time on any other item. Whether you do or not…. is no different than whether or not you use that gift card. Although, unlike that gift card, your gems will never expire.

Also, they only did exactly what community demanded. They removed the original flamekissed and gave you something different. They listened to the outraged cry of their playerbase and did what we told them to do – remove the t3 reskin, and make something else. There was no promise that you would like that something else. They said they thought you would, but they didn’t promise you would. Only a fool would make such a promise, since it is impossible to please everyone.

Macondo.4827

IS there any chance to get 6 – Transmutation Splitter To remove the Flamekissed style from my ascended armor??

PRX – MoAR – PEW

Inimicus.7162

This isn’t any different than returning something to WalMart or Toys R Us though. You return an item, they give you a gift card. (Yes, there’s a bit more to it, but you get the general point here. Let’s not nit pick)

You spent money on gems. You spent those gems on an armor set. They are refunding you the gems you purchased. You can use those gems at any time on any other item. Whether you do or not…. is no different than whether or not you use that gift card. Although, unlike that gift card, your gems will never expire.

Also, they only did exactly what community demanded. They removed the original flamekissed and gave you something different. They listened to the outraged cry of their playerbase and did what we told them to do – remove the t3 reskin, and make something else. There was no promise that you would like that something else. They said they thought you would, but they didn’t promise you would. Only a fool would make such a promise, since it is impossible to please everyone.

“the community” who didnt send them real money i should point out… and the official post https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Flamekissed-Armor-Skin/first#post3275229 soothed it at that moment because there was no reason to believe that they were going to totally trash what I had bought… I honestly thought they spent 2 months making something true to what she specifically said was the goal (not that the other 2 armors met that in any way shape or form, and while also wrong, I didn’t drop real money on those)

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Ironically I might buy a set now, whereas the Human-T3 based set didn’t appeal to me at all.

But people often like to think their tastes are the predominant feelings of the species entire.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

DPrime.3954

I also don’t have to worry about Wal-Mart or Toys’R’Us coming into my house to steal what I purchased and then leaving something else in return. When I buy something from Wal-Mart, I get what I purchase. If Wal-Mart makes a mistake they usually honor their mistake by correcting the issue to keep the customer happy.

Gift cards also never expire in Canada.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I didn’t buy the original armor, so I’m not out any money here. But…

2 months to make this? To slap flame effects and maybe a bit of color rework onto an armor that already exists for all races?

At this point it is safe to say that ANet has neither the talent pool nor the resources to have any kind of cosmetic “end game”. Any claims that they could make such have been a massive self-delusion, at best.

Calling it disappointing is an understatement.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

After checking it out on my ele in-person last night, surprisingly my biggest issue isn’t the design of the sleeves at the wrist (which is still in the top 5 things I dislike about this armor set), but the bottom of the skirt. So first of all, I almost wish the skirt didn’t have the bottom half; if it ended at the winged design, showing off the leggings more (what will it take for my ele to get intricate pants without a skirt?) and presenting a sleeker back look I’d be marginally more inclined toward it. From the front, this bottom area just looks torn. Maybe I’m crazy but that area also has bizarrely low quality texture. I’m so glad someone else said it up thread. I mentioned it to my boyfriend last night (“This looks really… pixelated…? Is that just me…? -squints-”) and wondered if it was just my screen combined with my overall disappointment.

I’m still torn about asking for a refund. I like the headpiece, I guess? It’s still some of the best looking armor in the game, which is almost the most disappointing thing about this haha XD And I feel like I’m wasting money if I mix and match armor sets with this. Super first world problems. Good luck to everyone in finding a good armor/dye combo :)

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I also don’t have to worry about Wal-Mart or Toys’R’Us coming into my house to steal what I purchased and then leaving something else in return. When I buy something from Wal-Mart, I get what I purchase. If Wal-Mart makes a mistake they usually honor their mistake by correcting the issue to keep the customer happy.

Didn’t know gift cards didn’t expire in Canada. That’s handy to know.

Anet did not steal anything. We were told, in a dev post on here that the t3 skin would be replaced when they had the new one done.

It should not have been a surprise. It was known that it was going to happen. They have opted to refund the gems that were used to purchase the armor for those that wanted the refund. WTF else can they do?

Some people like the new reskin. Others do not. There is nothing they can do to make every single person happy.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

“the community” who didnt send them real money i should point out… and the official post https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Flamekissed-Armor-Skin/first#post3275229 soothed it at that moment because there was no reason to believe that they were going to totally trash what I had bought… I honestly thought they spent 2 months making something true to what she specifically said was the goal (not that the other 2 armors met that in any way shape or form, and while also wrong, I didn’t drop real money on those)

“Once this new artwork is completed, we will then update the Flamekissed Armor Skin so that all existing sets that players have purchased get the new art.”

It is visually distinct from the t3. Whether or not you or I find it attractive is subjective, obviously they thought it was. Previous purchasers kept the skin for use until the new artwork was ready, and then it was updated to the new artwork. Anyone asking for a refund has been getting it.

DPrime.3954

Anet did not steal anything. We were told, in a dev post on here that the t3 skin would be replaced when they had the new one done.

It should not have been a surprise. It was known that it was going to happen. They have opted to refund the gems that were used to purchase the armor for those that wanted the refund. WTF else can they do?

Some people like the new reskin. Others do not. There is nothing they can do to make every single person happy.

Fractured is the release launched on November 26, 2013.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Flamekissed-Armor-Skin was posted November 27, 2013.
That’s a 24 hour window of uninformed people. It’s not about making people happy, it’s about integrity and principal. What are they going to change next due to a select group’s outcry?

LanfearShadowflame.3189

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Flamekissed-Armor-Skin was posted November 27, 2013.
That’s a 24 hour window of uninformed people. It’s not about making people happy, it’s about integrity and principal. What are they going to change next due to a select group’s outcry?

points at ascended

points at Karma nerf

Those are the biggest 2… shall we keep going?

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Its a display of integrity and principles to say “Oh crap, that should never have gone out at all” and slam the door shut as soon as possible. Then its a matter of getting out the mop and cleaning up.

Sorry you liked it and bought one but it should NEVER HAVE EXISTED and that’s the state they are working towards.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

DPrime.3954

points at ascended

points at Karma nerf

Those are the biggest 2… shall we keep going?

You’re missing the point. Those are game mechanics, not purchased items.

DPrime.3954

Its a display of integrity and principles to say “Oh crap, that should never have gone out at all” and slam the door shut as soon as possible. Then its a matter of getting out the mop and cleaning up.

Sorry you liked it and bought one but it should NEVER HAVE EXISTED and that’s the state they are working towards.

How many people from Anet saw this armor and approved it, before it hit the gem store? 10? 20? 30 maybe? They wanted to sell T3 armor because they knew people would buy it. Give me a break that Anet came up with the idea themselves to pull the plug on this. They need to take responsibility for it.