Forced PvP

Forced PvP

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

Saying you are forced is ridiculous and you know it.

Completionist isn’t required for this game. You aren’t required to do pvp to get to 80. The funny part is you bought a PvP game and complain they have PvP in it. Research purchases before complaining.

Now a game like Allods you HAD to enter a pvp map in order to advance beyond level 22. That’s forced PvP.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Forced PvP

Posted by: Swagman.9013

Swagman.9013

I am sorry to see so many people missing the main points in the whole thing…

1. Most parts of WvWvW maps are not accessible on many servers out of simple lack of map control, this promotes exploiting of server transfer to complete the achievement

2. PvE players taking up spots for WvWvW on many servers with over 1 hour queues and simply not contributing on the whole WvWvW front just roaming around trying to get one silly PoI or vista to get some achievement that has absolutely no connection to the whole WvWvW they are in atm…

I am simply confused by the amount of answers dont want it dont do it, and what are you afraid of since that has absolutely no sense at all…

It is not impossible to do, each map reset your servers position for bases rotates. That means one week in eternal battlegrounds you’ll be on the top portion, the next week you will be in one of the other 2 positions, the third week you will be in the last spot.

If you enter WvW when the reset happens you can easily get 1/3rd of the map complete with nobody bothering you and you can go back and do the same next week.

So you aren’t being barred from doing it. And you lie that you don’t mind putting in the work. You’re just being impatient and lazy.

Forced PvP

Posted by: arrownin.3128

arrownin.3128

You mention 3 keywords: “PvP”, “achievement”, “explorer”.

1) GW line of games are centered around PvP. You might not like it but that’s what the games are about and ANET never hidden that.

Completely false . In fact in order for you to partake in HA in the beginning you had to be Ascended which was a COMPLETELY PvE thing . There is a whole 2 1/2 pages dedicated to PvP in the Prophesies Manual if GW was about PvP wouldent there be more?

The reason Guild Wars is called such is do to lore and lore alone .The Guild wars took place between 1013 and 1070 AE between the kingdoms of Kryta Ascalon and Orr. The only thing that brought them to an end essentially was the Charr invasion .

As for world completion The Mists (where WvW takes place ) are not part of the world according to lore so it shouldn’t be needed for world completion

Also you are incorrect again. Dun dun dun! The mists location and existance are unknown in lore! Some say that it overlaps tyria making it a world intertwinedwith our own, one and the same! Some say it could be another dimension or realm like the realm of torment where abbadon was imprisoned. Others say it is our world but reflected in strange ways, like when you look into a wavey mirror. In any case saying that the mists are not within tyria is false as there is no proof that the mists and tyria are one and the same!

Forced PvP

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

It is not impossible to do, each map reset your servers position for bases rotates. That means one week in eternal battlegrounds you’ll be on the top portion, the next week you will be in one of the other 2 positions, the third week you will be in the last spot.

You don’t always rotate, with the way matching works. You often will but you don’t always.

Can always transfer and then transfer back if World Completion means so much to you.

That works for now, but will NOT work a some time in the near future.

Primarily PvP players don’t like doing forced PvE maps. How about giving the Gifts of Exploration to WvW completion because it is obviously much harder to get and Pve-completion could be rewarded with some blobs of ectoplasm?

If you want a legendary, you need to do full PvE completion, farm out at least one dungeon, have two specific fully maxed crafting disciplines, and get a significant number of WvW kills. A legendary specifically requires play across the entire game.

Map completion should still be split into a PvE form and PvP form. PvE one gets you the PvE oriented part of a legendary. The PvP form should get you the PvP part of a legendary (or for WvW only players who don’t care about dungeons, crafting, or PvE, something that helps them in WvW).

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

Forced PvP

Posted by: Amon.5042

Amon.5042

I decided to get 100% map completion. When I’m doing this, my focus is to explore, not to try and obliterate the other team’s players and getting territory.

When I explore, I do it in a relaxed way and avoid combat as much as I can. It’s fun to just focus on getting Vistas, POIs and Waypoints.

WvW is an intensely fun part of the game. It’s awesome to crush our enemies, see them driven before us, and hear the lamentations of their guildmates (while laughing maniacally at the computer screen).

I have a completely different mindset for exploring and PVPing. When I explore, I don’t care about getting the enemy and I wouldn’t really be much use for my team. I’d probably be taking the place of someone else more driven to WvW action.

Map completion players shouldn’t have to explore in what is an extremely hostile environment for exploration. WvW teammates shouldn’t have to suffer those useless explorers, and explorers shouldn’t have to wait for the next WvW rotation and hope that the other teams are worse than theirs.

Forced PvP

Swagman.9013

Your best counter to what I said is, well usually you do but not always.

So WvW completion takes you 4 weeks instead of 3 oh mah Lerrd.

Forced PvP

Posted by: rook.4625

rook.4625

Map completion should still be split into a PvE form and PvP form. PvE one gets you the PvE oriented part of a legendary. The PvP form should get you the PvP part of a legendary (or for WvW only players who don’t care about dungeons, crafting, or PvE, something that helps them in WvW).

No it should not. Sorry, hate to tell you this as it has already been mentioned so many times. This is a pvp game with pve content. The first I know, shocking really.

Forced PvP

Posted by: arrownin.3128

arrownin.3128

Hey guys quick question. Look to your world completion bar, now back at me, now look at your bar again, closely this time, you might miss something! Alright back to me. You can see that the bar does not say PvE map completion. It certaintly doesn’t say PvP map completion. It means total map completion. Every map. Yes this means WvW, oh stop your crying. “You actually need to explore 100% of everything?” Yes. “But I don’t like WvW, PvP is stupid.” it an achievement, its optional. “But I need it for my legendaries!” If this is the thing that is causing you trouble then maybe you need to just think over your life.

Forced PvP

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

“But I need it for my legendaries!” If this is the thing that is causing you trouble then maybe you need to just think over your life.

This is the least of all concerns for someone seeking legendaries, it’d be hilarious if this is the reason.

It’s an achievement for a reason.

Forced PvP

Posted by: ProxiiG.5830

ProxiiG.5830

So you aren’t being barred from doing it. And you lie that you don’t mind putting in the work. You’re just being impatient and lazy.

So your answer to my valid objections is to personally attack me and say that i lie, and then add impatient and lazy… Internet, you have to love it, no better argument then lets go insult people.

Guess i am expecting to much from a gaming forum when i expect civilized behaving and discussion…

Forced PvP

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

No it should not. Sorry, hate to tell you this as it has already been mentioned so many times. This is a pvp game with pve content. The first I know, shocking really.

That statement is completely full of fail.

At least 80% of the game has absolutely NO PVP COMPONENT whatsoever. If this was a PvP game, the chimps would be chasing one another around Queensdale and the Diessa Plateau, and not be restricted to four small maps, totally segregated from the vast majority of the game. Only the self-serving myopia of a PvP enthusiast could possibly claim that this game is a PvP game with PvE components tacked on to it.

And by the way, get back into the Mists and start clearing some POIs for me. They better be open by the time I log in later because I don’t want to waste any more time watching you people kitten each other over, from the lawn chair I have set up on yonder parapet. The sooner you clear a path for me, the sooner I leave your little sideshow and get back to doing fun stuff in the actual game. Chop chop! My glass is almost empty and I’m all out of margarita mix.

Forced PvP

Swagman.9013

So your answer to my valid objections is to personally attack me and say that i lie, and then add impatient and lazy… Internet, you have to love it, no better argument then lets go insult people.

Guess i am expecting to much from a gaming forum when i expect civilized behaving and discussion…

Your whole arguement was that you had no problem putting the work in for it but it’s just not possible to get some points because your server might not have those points captured cause they are getting dominated.

And then I proceeded to explain that because your position on the map rotates you don’t have to capture it just wait until its your realms turn to own it.

So since your impossible is now possible you either are being impatient because you don’t want to wait for the reset or lazy cause it’s too much work to have to queue for each WvW match 3 times in the span of 3 weeks.

Forced PvP

Posted by: Shaojack.3871

Shaojack.3871

PVE-only player whining about having to PVP in a PVP focus game.
If your server is getting wiped out every round it may be a participation issue because too many people are PVE only, show some pride and support your server, who knows you may even get your precious star in the process. =D

Brojack (80 Thief) / Shaojack(80 Warrior) / Shaokuma(80 Guardian) / Shaojax(80 Ranger)

Sanctum of Rall

Forced PvP

Posted by: Revenant.2691

Revenant.2691

Since my previous post saying exactly what I’m about to say was infracted, allow me to rephrase it in a more constructive matter.

Say you don’t like PvP, but want a Legendary weapon, would you then demand that the Badge of Honor requirement be removed from them because you don’t like to PvP? Conversely, should a PvP player be excused from gathering the money, crafting materials, etc. because they dislike PvE? No. It’s completely optional content. If you want it, put in the work. If you don’t, go without. It’s as simple as that in my opinion.

Forced PvP

Posted by: Warlordx.8062

Warlordx.8062

not true you can obtain said Badges of Honor without pvp’ing from what i ve read and i quote

“The fastest method by far is doing the jumping puzzles (in the borderlands) and you will have to do them approximately 100 times. This can currently be done in 4 days if you use 5 characters and you do it between 01:00 CET (when rematching is done) and 10:00-11:00 CET (when server is undergoing maintenance) and once again after the maintenance.”

So technically no pvp from what i gather

Forced PvP

Posted by: Amos.8760

Amos.8760

Where does it say that the World Completion is a PVE achievement? The game involves both PVE and PVP. To see the entire world, why would you expect to not have to go into the PVP part of the world?

My turret is so much better at this game than I am.

Forced PvP

Posted by: Manifoldgodhead.2356

Manifoldgodhead.2356

WvWvW is supposed to be kinda like World PvP so you need players that are doing things other than rolling out specifically for PvP so the whole thing feels more real.

Forced PvP

Posted by: walle.6437

walle.6437

Welcome to Arenanet there games have always been designed around pvp. The first guild wars even had missions in pve that was preparing you for pvp.

Forced PvP

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

Think of WvW as an elite PvE dungeon with very smart AI and every mob is a veteran or champion.

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

Forced PvP

Posted by: Astaldo.3081

Astaldo.3081

‘’If you want the achievement that shows you have been everywhere, then go everywhere.’’

Forced PvP

Posted by: ccrazool.2905

ccrazool.2905

I want an achievement that says I have travelled across every piece of land in this game.

Why do the devs FORCE me to travel across every piece of land in this game to get it?? WTF devs??

Forced PvP

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

I’m starting to agree that it’s lame, and I’d guess some people xfer to do it to minimize the lameness, but doing server transfer for stuff like this or to find skill point challenges that aren’t broken is also lame.

What you can do to minimize the pain is plan ahead and watch the matchups – your faction will often have a different position, and thus, different map, and if you explore your “home” map each time it’s different you’ll have less chances of getting owned while doing so.

Beyond that, basic pvp principles can be observed. Pay attention, keep moving, etc. Sitting around looking at your world map is a great way to get caught and owned, for ex. Not that this would EVER happen to me.

The rewards for 100% completion seem to be pretty pathetic and going for legendaries is something I would consider not fun (and I’d guess the people who already have them exploited or cheesed the system in some way) so I’m not even interested in 100% completion anymore anyways.

This game is so corrupted with ways to cheat, bots, exploits that don’t get fixed, questionable ways to “earn” gold, and all kinds of abuse that have put some people way ahead of the curve while everyone else will suffer far longer time investments after fixes finally get in place, that I’m really not motivated to go for many of the lame “endgame goals” at all right now.

As much as I love this game I’m starting to lose steam as more and more lameness and cheese manifest themselves, I continue to see people who shortcut and play questionably get ahead, and as ANet continues to move glacially dealing with the rampant (worse than any 5 MMORPGs I’ve seen combined) botting and other cheese.

I guess this is what you get for playing a game that doesn’t have a sub (near zero GMing or CSRing) even though I’m thinking that the initial cash and gem store purchasing have been substantial financially, at least enough to warrant a little better handling of some of this crap.

(edited by Voqar.2349)

Forced PvP

Posted by: Debsylvania.7396

Debsylvania.7396

I agree with Craven, 100%. Getting the 100% exploration achievement is meaningless if you haven’t met the requirements. There are many, many other achievements you can do. People need to understand the difference between “want” and "need’. This is not a “need”.

Furthermore, the achievement, as is, is all kinds of do-able by anyone that wants it. Dying a few times isn’t the end of the world.

Deb ~The Chewbacca Defense [TCD];
Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

Forced PvP

Posted by: fizzypop.6458

fizzypop.6458

World completion doesn’t have to have WvW included since as far as I know WvW isn’t even part of the real world. It’s part of the mists which isn’t even on Tyria. So I wouldn’t mind seeing that removed. WvWvW is boring anyways.

Forced PvP

Posted by: fizzypop.6458

fizzypop.6458

‘’If you want the achievement that shows you have been everywhere, then go everywhere.’’

But it doesn’t even require you to go everywhere…WvW is part of the mists. Spvp maps aren’t required for world completion either and they are also part of the mists. Mists isn’t even part of the world of Tyria. So exactly why they were included is kind of odd especially since actual parts of the Tyria aren’t included like dungeons, POI in hall of monuments, and the jumping puzzles.

Shrug I can see their point.

Forced PvP

Posted by: Nargaroth.1482

Nargaroth.1482

you can change from server too and join the one winning on the part wich you want to explore.

Forced PvP

Revenant.2691

Hall of Monuments shouldn’t be included because it’s only available to GW1 players. If it was part of it you’d have to go back and buy GW1 to get the achievement if you were new to GW2.

Forced PvP

Posted by: Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

it’s not a pve achievment. It’s a game achievement.

the achievment says that you completed 100% exploration of the world that Anet created. they could add a sub achievement for 100% PVE exploration or 1 for 100% WvW completion. But exploring the whole GW2 world means exploring THE WHOLE GW2 WORLD. That world includes the mists.

Forced PvP

Posted by: Gadzooks.4687

Gadzooks.4687

Wait, the game is forcing you to get 100% exploration?

I think the issue here is OCD. Some people have this compulsion of “its there, I HAVE to do it.” Unfortunately, just because one might suffer from a compulsion like this, doesnt mean its the games fault, or the designers fault. Just because its there, doesnt mean you are forced to do it.

This game has a ton of OPTIONAL content. Things to do outside of the standard mmorpg gameplay. Its there to add variety. Its there to appeal to a greater number of players. Player A may not like X but loves Y, player B may not like Y but loves X. Both X and Y exist however to offer player A and B fun things to do, at their own CHOICE.

If you feel compelled to do ALL things in a game, that is your CHOICE. Complaining about it not being fun becomes a moot point when what you are doing is optional.

Forced PvP

Posted by: Dark Saviour.9410

Dark Saviour.9410

Hall of Monuments shouldn’t be included because it’s only available to GW1 players. If it was part of it you’d have to go back and buy GW1 to get the achievement if you were new to GW2.

I thought non-GW players could buy a stone in Lion’s Arch to get there, but Kimmes would just be like, “You’re a nobody” and not give you anything…

Anyway, I agree that the requirement should be severed from WvW. Make a new achievement if you must, and shove it into the WvW category rather than Explorer (same with the 4 jumping puzzles, honestly) but anything to keep PvP and PvE as far away from each other as possible is grand in my book.

It’s obvious it was designed this way because ANet knew that PvE-ers would want to complete the achievement, especially after knocking out such a huge amount of it, and figured this would be a good way to make them try out WvW. They’ve always seemed to have this notion that, “It’s not just PvP, so PvE-ers should love it too! We think it’s great, so if they just give it a chance, they will too!” But, that’s… not the case. Many of us loathe PvP as a concept and there’s no way you can ever make it palatable. And trying to sneak it in such that it becomes even more of an obnoxious burden doesn’t help.

People keep saying, “These places are part of the world, so they should count,” but if ANet hadn’t required them, then I can’t believe anybody would be going, “This makes no sense! Add World Completion crap into the Mists!” Especially since, as mentioned, Dungeon and sPvP/Heart of the Mists completion points aren’t counted. It really seems to be more a case of justifying it simply because it was done rather than because it is generally regarded as a good option. Even worse though is that in many cases, the support seems to amount to a fair bit of vitriol and malice towards the PvE-only crowd in a sort of ‘HA! Suck it Carebears!’ type of mentality.

I’d honestly have preferred that WvW had been kept an entirely separate beast with it’s own set of homeservers, progression, etc. that didn’t touch general PvE whatsoever. But that ship has already sailed, so at the very least making small changes that make the game more pleasant for those that don’t wish to partake in whichever game-type that they likely never even wanted when they bought the game would be nice,

Gone for good after Halloween 2Ø12.
A shame fun things could not simply be fun.

Forced PvP

Revenant.2691

I really do understand the aversion to PvP that many players have in games like this, and understand it’s an acquired taste. I was the exact same way for years. I wasn’t interested in the competition and didn’t think it would be very fun. I avoided it whenever possible in GW1 until Factions came out and I decided that Elite Kurzick Warrior armor was the coolest looking thing I’d ever seen and I wanted it now! But… it required a lot of Kurzick faction and Amber, which were very hard to scrape up outside of PvP, so I decided to suck it up and go do it. Still hated it for the first couple times, but then I got in a good group, we started working together well and complementing one another’s abilities, taking down teams of other players and generally being awesome.

Suddenly, 12 hours had passed, I loved PvP forever and now do it in every game I play. All I’m saying is, it seems like most of the people here are opposed to PvP in general. If you’ve tried WvW in GW2 and hate it, and not just because it’s buggy as all kitteh right now, that’s one thing… but if you won’t even give it a fair shake you’re really handicapping your own enjoyment in my opinion. It’s challenging, dynamic, and full of infinite possibility because the enemies can actually think and do their best to smash you into dust even as you do the same.

At least give it a shot, you might be surprised at how much you like it.
~A PvP Convert

Forced PvP

Posted by: Zale.9645

Zale.9645

Nothing in the game should ever mix PvE objectives with PvP objectives. That is bad design and must be changed immediately. PvP and PvE should always remain absolutely separate.

I will never play WvW until Map Completion there is removed.

Forced PvP

Posted by: Dra Keln.2015

Dra Keln.2015

I agree with the idea that world completion should be removed from wvw. I disagree with almost all of the reasons why it should be removed. 100% means 100%. It’s an achievement, last I checked you can’t get the slayer achievement in PvE either. 100% a WvW map is not actually hard btw. HOWEVER. By making it count for 100% it brings people into WvW for the purpose of exploring, not WvWing. I have frequently found myself running to our next target, glancing at my map and saying “oooh we own _. Don’t know when that will happen again, best grab it now.” And my brother has gone to WvW exclusively for world completion. Both of those take up valuable slots for true WvWers

80 ele
Yaks Bend

Forced PvP

Posted by: Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

It’s an MMORPG with a PvP endgame, based upon a franchise that has been well known for it’s PvP for years.

What was the expectation here?

Forced PvP

Eochaidh.4106

I agree with the idea that world completion should be removed from wvw. I disagree with almost all of the reasons why it should be removed. 100% means 100%. It’s an achievement, last I checked you can’t get the slayer achievement in PvE either. 100% a WvW map is not actually hard btw. HOWEVER. By making it count for 100% it brings people into WvW for the purpose of exploring, not WvWing. I have frequently found myself running to our next target, glancing at my map and saying “oooh we own _. Don’t know when that will happen again, best grab it now.” And my brother has gone to WvW exclusively for world completion. Both of those take up valuable slots for true WvWers

Well, it also happens to enemy teams, so it’s an even situation at least. It usually happens more when a team is basically owning the whole map, and any handicap the winning team can have in such a situation is good. I see no problems with it.

Forced PvP

Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

Nothing in the game should ever mix PvE objectives with PvP objectives. That is bad design and must be changed immediately. PvP and PvE should always remain absolutely separate.

I disagree. I’m of the mindset that PvP and PvE go hand in hand. I’ve found that games without open PvP, without permanent equipment loss that seperate PvP and PvE have kittened up economies because there simply isn’t any better gold sink than having to potentially replace your gear everytime you die. Inflation is always out of control in the “safe” PvE type games.

A game with open PvP provides the best roleplaying experience possible. Conflict is at the heart of every great story and PvP is conflict centric. Having enemies that you can truly interact with creates the most memorable experiences.

Opinions!

Forced PvP

Eochaidh.4106

A game with open PvP provides the best roleplaying experience possible. Conflict is at the heart of every great story and PvP is conflict centric. Having enemies that you can truly interact with creates the most memorable experiences.

Opinions!

RP community seems to disagree.

Forced PvP

Revenant.2691

Opinions!

Actually, Darkfall was an open, full-loot PvP gane and had the highest population of hardcore RP’ers per capita of any MMO I’ve ever seen, by a wide margin.

Forced PvP

Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

Opinions!

RP community disagrees that conflict drives the best stories? I guess they don’t read enough fantasy novels then.

Forced PvP

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

Here is a solution to your problem about having to do pvp for explorer.

If you don’t enjoy WvWvW (I do) it will simply take longer. Each week a new game comes about. Log into the game at different days and see which forts, towers and such your realm possesses. Run to those points and get them fulfilled. Each day these will change so you can get more of them done. Each week your realm can possibly be a different color so you will have access to ones you didn’t have before.

Occasionally you will get killed but you can learn to avoid it or you might even learn you enjoy it.

Like I said a method to get it done with minimal battles.

Forced PvP

Eochaidh.4106

@Revenant
That’s interesting to hear. But I think it had more to do with the open world/sandboxiness of the game.

Opinions!

RP community disagrees that conflict drives the best stories? I guess they don’t read enough fantasy novels then.

Well, apparently the conflict we get here is when a Charr decides to curse a Human in a tavern in Divinity’s Reach. :P

Forced PvP

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

You don’t actually have to pvp for it, just go to the maps. There’s plenty of pve content there to keep you busy.

Just go when you’re on the server that’s owning the relevant parts of the map. You’ll need to make a few trips, prob’ly. Note that you can just park yourself and wait til the points are controlled.

Note that you are also forced to WvW if you want a legendary. Yep. Or you could buy one, maybe.

Forced PvP

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

Forced PVE!

I want to PVP and don’t feel like I should have to explore PVE areas to get 100% explored! =P

Forced PvP

Posted by: Craven.5468

Craven.5468

Opinions!

It isn’t conflict that some are avoiding; it is the people who think PVP means griefing and tea-bagging.