GW 2 was advertised as a fun, casual MMO.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

“I farm the champ train 11 hours a day and I don’t see any problems with the game.”

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

At this point no1 but Vayne is happy with the direction gw2 is taking. For casuals its getting too grindy, for ‘hardcore’ audience there’s absolutely nothing to do but wvw (who the F wastes time on old boring dungeons to gain 1g per run lolz). So, anet, what’s up? Where you going with this game? Can i please have my original gw1 team back and send the current team to build Zerg Wars 2: Facebook Edition?

No one but Vayne is happy with the direction this game is taking. Really? No one. How about Vayne’s wife. There’s two right there. Immediately, you’re mistaken. What about some of Vayne’s guildies. We do have 120 people in the guild and most of them seem to be happy with the game.

What you’re really saying is players who want what you want aren’t happy. Players who want very specific things may not be happy. But for people who do a bit of everything, I’m not so sure that there’s much of a problem.

Absolutely no one but you, im sorry. Its just impossible to like their direction you know why? Because it leads nowhere else but gem store. Do you buy games to wait twice a month new gem store items as ‘new content’ while nothing worth mentioning is added to pvp/pve? They’re adding nothing else but items to their shop and a generic quest for 120 brand new hot n exciting achievements with every single patch for how many months now? I don’t even know anymore and don’t care. What do you think will be added next patch? I’ll use my crystal ball, gimme a sec!!! at least 10 new n hawt gem store garbage, generic quest that makes you WP across the map, ~20 new achievements and some crappy weapon skins. This is your next patch, enjoy.

I like the game and the GENERAL direction.

Most people on the forums, even the angry ones, like the game.

However, every patch is not for everyone. Those who the patch did not appeal to tend to get upset.

And I like how you say nothing worth mentioning is added to PvE/PvP. Short of scrapping both modes and starting over, I don’t think anything added would appeal to you.

Just as nothing can make Vayne truly upset, nothing can make Nuka Cola truly happy.

I love watching you two quote each other, btw.

i just want my gw1 team back, they build content for players to play instead of creating gem store overpriced items for players to buy, go in LA and spam flute or Boom Box. Nothing changes with every patch, its the same kind of copy/pasted content over n over again. If i wasn’t happy three months ago because anet was on a jumping puzzle rampage spam with gem store items as ‘content’, how am i supposed to be happy when its the same thing in September 2013? They don’t improve but stay below average while milking everyone with gem store

How was The flame and frost story instances / molten alliance dungeon patch the same as SAB? how was the Bazaar of the four winds the same as Dragon bash?

What kind of content are you looking for cause so far since release they’ve issued
PvP maps,
Jumping Puzzles
New Dynamic events
New Mini Dungeons
New Dungeons
Solo PvE Bosses (the queen’s guantlet thing)
New Mini Games
New Jumping Puzzles
New Zones
New Mini-Dungeons
New Group events
Guild Missions
Changes to WvW
Changes to Achievements
New Skins
New World events

What could you possibly want to play with your friends that isnt included in that list above. Everything that GW1 offered as far as I can tell is in that list above so please tell us what specifically you and your friends are looking for that not a single update we got so far included?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

At this point no1 but Vayne is happy with the direction gw2 is taking. For casuals its getting too grindy, for ‘hardcore’ audience there’s absolutely nothing to do but wvw (who the F wastes time on old boring dungeons to gain 1g per run lolz). So, anet, what’s up? Where you going with this game? Can i please have my original gw1 team back and send the current team to build Zerg Wars 2: Facebook Edition?

No one but Vayne is happy with the direction this game is taking. Really? No one. How about Vayne’s wife. There’s two right there. Immediately, you’re mistaken. What about some of Vayne’s guildies. We do have 120 people in the guild and most of them seem to be happy with the game.

What you’re really saying is players who want what you want aren’t happy. Players who want very specific things may not be happy. But for people who do a bit of everything, I’m not so sure that there’s much of a problem.

Absolutely no one but you, im sorry. Its just impossible to like their direction you know why? Because it leads nowhere else but gem store. Do you buy games to wait twice a month new gem store items as ‘new content’ while nothing worth mentioning is added to pvp/pve? They’re adding nothing else but items to their shop and a generic quest for 120 brand new hot n exciting achievements with every single patch for how many months now? I don’t even know anymore and don’t care. What do you think will be added next patch? I’ll use my crystal ball, gimme a sec!!! at least 10 new n hawt gem store garbage, generic quest that makes you WP across the map, ~20 new achievements and some crappy weapon skins. This is your next patch, enjoy.

However, every patch is not for everyone. Those who the patch did not appeal to tend to get upset.

And I like how you say nothing worth mentioning is added to PvE/PvP. Short of scrapping both modes and starting over, I don’t think anything added would appeal to you.

Just as nothing can make Vayne truly upset, nothing can make Nuka Cola truly happy.

i just want my gw1 team back, they build content for players to play instead of creating gem store overpriced items for players to buy, go in LA and spam flute or Boom Box. Nothing changes with every patch, its the same kind of copy/pasted content over n over again. If i wasn’t happy three months ago because anet was on a jumping puzzle rampage spam with gem store items as ‘content’, how am i supposed to be happy when its the same thing in September 2013? They don’t improve but stay below average while milking everyone with gem store

You’re saying the T’quatl update changed nothing? Really?

Why don’t you go play Guild Wars 1 with your old team?

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

“I farm the champ train 11 hours a day and I don’t see any problems with the game.”

what’s the point of even farming them these days? none of the skins worth high enough to just shut down your brain and go farm an hour hoping to get something worth your time. I haven’t done a single champ run in over 2 weeks and unless they add new skins i like, i don’t see the point of spamming champs ever again

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

Yup that seems to be leet in GW2.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

11 hours a day MIND BLWON .

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

11 hours a day MIND BLWON .

Yah, and they throw a tantrum if someone kills a champ “out of order” rofl

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Yeah teq changed something? like what? all i see is overflow fails that can’t drop his HP below 70% most of the times and after ~3 minutes of fighting teq everyone is just starting to swap overflows hoping to find one that isn’t braindead. Teq changed nothing else but bring a time sink to the ultimate money sink game. Teq changed something lol you’re funny. GW1 is dead, if it was rebuilt on a new engine i wouldn’t be talking to you right now but play the game cuz it had something gw2 doesn’t know or have seen,,,,,,,,, gameplay.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Vayne.8563

Yeah teq changed something? like what? all i see is overflow fails that can’t drop his HP below 70% most of the times and after ~3 minutes of fighting teq everyone is just starting to swap overflows hoping to find one that isn’t braindead. Teq changed nothing else but bring a time sink to the ultimate money sink game. Teq changed something lol you’re funny. GW1 is dead, if it was rebuilt on a new engine i wouldn’t be talking to you right now but play the game cuz it had something gw2 doesn’t know or have seen,,,,,,,,, gameplay.

Well, if people are failing Tequatl then I’d say that something HAS changed, since no one used to fail. Imagine that, people asked for harder content and Anet gave them harder content….and some people seem to like him.

I see flaws in how it’s laid out, but I have all the achievements I’ve we’ve beat him like three times, most recently earlier today.

Galen Grey.4709

so let see… before it was battle teq and it was impossible to fail… hey technically you could solo the little lizard at 3am in the morning when no one is around and if you didnt log out you’d win the event by 5am -7 am when people start waking up and come to help you out. Or maybe with enough percistance you might manage to kill him by yourself not sure.

Now as you said its… "Yeah teq changed something? like what? all i see is overflow fails that can’t drop his HP below 70% most of the times and after ~3 minutes of fighting teq everyone is just starting to swap overflows hoping to find one that isn’t braindead. "

thats not the same so yeah technically thats called a change.

More of substance, its now at least a challenge rather then an easy yawn fest and thats an extremely good thing

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

The same answer suits a lot of these threads nowadays. GW2 has full access to content for casual players. Top tier rewards need time investment. As a casual you can participate in all aspects of the game. SPvP gives you standard gear. WvW promotes you level 80. Dungeons can be run with rare/exotic gear using well tested common knowledge tactics. All open world events and bosses can be beaten with more players rather than better equipped players. Activities, jumping puzzles, and living story are open to everyone. Guild missions can even be joined by anyone walking past.

The problem only comes from casual players wanting the same top tier rewards as players who sink massive amounts of time into the game. Players who previously said “I’ll never get a legendary weapon and I don’t care” can just as easily now say “I’ll never get a legendary or ascended weapon and I don’t care”. Laurels offer a reward system for players who do anything, so it is natural that laurels are also slow.

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

Mindless grinding for hours on end is a mental endurance challenge, I guess.
I give up, they deserve better gear for pushing 1 or running around pressing F more than me. Gold star for the effort.

K. I’ll copy-paste.

Everyone, including casual- no need to explain what this means.
by level 80 should have – again, “should” not “would”
best statistical loot – does not imply Best-in-stats-gear
We want – does not mean “we will”
Equal in power base – tell me how much difference it is to have ascended over exotic?

Here’s the difference, based on the major stat alone (power for this example).
Exotic
All items have http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Exquisite_Ruby_Jewel added to them (ie. +25 power)
Back: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Assassin_Backpack
22 + 25 = 47
Amulet: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ruby_Orichalcum_Amulet_of_the_Berserker
90 + 25 = 115
Accessory x 2: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ruby_Orichalcum_Earring_of_the_Berserker
56 + 25 = 81 (=> 162)
Ring x 2: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ruby_Orichalcum_Ring_of_the_Berserker
67 + 25 = 92 (=> 184)

Weapon: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pearl_Broadsword

Summed up = 687

Ascended
Ring and accessory will be 1 offensive, 1 defensive (same stat, though)
Back: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Quiver_of_Swift_Flight
Amulet: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mark_of_the_Tethyos_Houses
Accessory x2: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Althea%27s_Ashes
91 (=> 182)
Ring x2: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ring_of_Red_Death
103 (=> 206)

Weapon: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Zojja%27s_Claymore

Summed up = 758

Overall increase: 758 / 687 = 1.10 (ie. 10%)
It’s important to note I ignored all the increases in the secondary stats, and ignored the increase in weapon damage (which is 5%), but overall, 10% increase from exotic gear to current ascended gear minimum in terms of stats alone.
I guess 10% is negligible. That rounds down to zero, right?

Anyone is free to point out any mistakes in my working/calculations/conclusion.

(edited by BlueZone.4236)

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

“I give up, they deserve better gear for pushing 1 or running around pressing F more than me. Gold star for the effort.”My favorite quote of the day.

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

I like that they made Tequatle more challenging, he’s a dragon afterall…
I believe they should make all dragons, including Zhaitan and world bosses more of a stand here – hit these buttons – collect chest sorta thing.

And with harder content, comes better gear being released, but exotics will allow you to do any game content, save fractals ofcoarse because you need AR at level 20+.

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

I give up, they deserve better gear for pushing 1 or running around pressing F more than me. Gold star for the effort.

K. I’ll copy-paste.

Equal in power base – tell me how much difference it is to have ascended over exotic?

Exotic
All items have http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Exquisite_Ruby_Jewel added to them (ie. +25 power)
22 + 25 = 47
90 + 25 = 115
Accessory x 2: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ruby_Orichalcum_Earring_of_the_Berserker
56 + 25 = 81 (=> 162)
67 + 25 = 92 (=> 184)

Summed up = 687

Ascended
91 (=> 182)
103 (=> 206)

Summed up = 758

It’s important to note I ignored all the increases in the secondary stats, and ignored the increase in weapon damage (which is 5%), but overall, 10% increase from exotic gear to current ascended gear minimum in terms of stats alone.

Like everyone right now has ascended. We will all eventually reach there – unlike other MMO – they keep adding new top tier gears.

But wait, there’s more!

10% may not be negligible in stats – but it’s not 10% added damage. 10% added stats. The difference of the damage is more or less not that noticeable unless maybe the 2 players with equal builds are just smashing each other with skill 1.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

“people want to be on the same level as everyone else.”
-Ofcourse they do. How do you get equal with others? You put the same effort they do. You don’t complain because it’s hard – others can do it, what is your excuse?. If you have no time to play to get BiS (to be on the same level as everyone else) – deal with it.

It’s a game – if you have other higher priorities in life other than sitting and farming, deal-with-it. You can’t have the best of both worlds. That is life. Compromises must be made.

Skills have nothing to do with the gears, a lot of players want to be in par regarding gears.
A player A can master his playing ability in X time less than a player B.
BUT player B have a lot of time more to grind the game so he can get something that give him a statistical advantage that is not directly connected to his ability to improve.
Now player B will have a easier live inside the game not for mastering his skills but just for spending time inside the game that is not necessarily synonimous of improvement.

Again, fair and square – more time to play = more experience/you’ll get top gears (if it does exist in GW2 that is)

You get what you worked for.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

The question is where are you going to use this extra 10% increase in stats? I don’t see any new content coming out that actually requires these extra stats.

Is the game perfectly playable in Exotics only (and even rares or masterwork)? Yes. There is nothing you can’t do with Exotics only, other than higher tier fractals, and you can’t do that only because of the gating mechanism (Agony) not because of any other kind of difficulty. If Agony Resistance could be added on Exotics there would be no reason for Ascended to be a MUST have for anyone.

Will Ascended gear allow a player to survive in hard encounters? Encounters that he is not able to in Exotics? No, absolutely not. For example, someone who can’t beat Giganticus Lupicus won’t suddenly be able to, by changing his gear to an Ascended version. An unskilled player is an unskilled player no matter the gear, which was one of the selling points of this game anyway. Player Skill > Gear

I hope we never get content that actually requires Ascended gear to beat, but until we do, the only purpose of Ascended is to give the content locusts and the grinders something to do.

Galen Grey.4709

K. I’ll copy-paste.

Exotic
22 + 25 = 47
90 + 25 = 115
56 + 25 = 81 (=> 162)
67 + 25 = 92 (=> 184)

Summed up = 687

Ascended
91 (=> 182)
103 (=> 206)

Summed up = 758

What you said is all true but keep in mind stats in Gw2 arent just something you get from equipement. Remove every piece of equipement and your power rating will not be 0, it will be 916
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Power

hence based on your example if you’re wearing exotics your power rating would be 1603 and wearing ascended items you’d get 1674. So in real terms your increase is just 4-5% not 10%.

Thats also excluding that some consumables like
say traffle steak and superior sharping stone can increase that amount by even more further reducing the gap you get between exotic and ascended in real terms.

Posted by: Pariah.8506

Pariah.8506

In GW1, did you need Superior Runes of Vitae to play in DoA, UW, or FoW?

No.

In GW1, did you need to grind title points to literally have PvE skills become more powerful?

• Yes.

Did you need those title ranks to participate in UW or FoW?

• No.

Did you need high Sunspear/Lightbringer titles to get into DoA groups?

• Yes, actually. r6/r8 or above was the desire, if I recall correctly.

Did you need high EotN titles to get into Dungeon pugs in GW1?

• Yes, especially Hardmode.

Because it’s not like GW1 had elite instances and hardmode which people completed without PvE skills before EotN, right?

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

Everyone that bought this MMO based on what was advertised were swindled on delivery.

This is old news, welcome to October 2012.

Time to move on.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Posted by: Przemek.6835

Przemek.6835

The casuals are the plague of this game.

They don’t want to work for ascended wnich is fine but they act like they can’t play the game without it wnich brainwashes the rest of the community.

You were enjoying the game before fractals and ascended stuff? You can still do it. There is no reason to take them away from those that enjoy them.

You are not a casual if you want to work for ascended items. You may not have the time for it because of real life stuff, but don’t act like you play the game only for fun and not for the rewards because there are both of these in-game atm and there is a choice that is only up to you.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

At this point no1 but Vayne is happy with the direction gw2 is taking. For casuals its getting too grindy, for ‘hardcore’ audience there’s absolutely nothing to do but wvw (who the F wastes time on old boring dungeons to gain 1g per run lolz).

Uhm, I’m happy, how does that make you feel? I’m casual (10hrs/week), I don’t find it too grindy. The BiS gear actually takes a modicum of effort now versus the lolfaceroll 5 chars in full exotics within 3mos system they had previously. You realize that’s exactly why they felt there should be a tier between Exotic and Legendary, right? Literally the second I hit 80 I had full exotics through karma/TP. So now I just do what, focus on Legendary grind for a weapon? They knew legendary was a long goal, exotic was extremely short. It’s all very simple I’m not sure why so many people seem so baffled that a company would try to sustain its player base…

Outside of WvW (which is moot if you’re in a zerg) and HIGH level fractals, how has Ascended gear affected you in any way? I know I’ve completed every single bit of content available minus FoTM 30+ (which isn’t even new content, just harder versions of things I’ve completed 50x already) and that’s with full exotic armor and ascended acc/trinkets I’ve procured from laurels, guild comm, or FoTM drops. There’s nothing I cannot accomplish with the gear I have. Having an Ascended weapon will not make things any easier than they already are, the game is ridiculously casual friendly. There’s nothing I cannot accomplish on my alt with full Rare gear if we want to get technical.

If hard-core players want to grind out Ascended gear for a slight advantage in their CoF speed run, OK have fun. I can complete it in 10min whereas you can complete it in 9:30? OMG this game is so broken and grindy!!

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

They don’t want to work for ascended wnich is fine but they act like they can’t play the game without it wnich brainwashes the rest of the community.

You were enjoying the game before fractals and ascended stuff? You can still do it. There is no reason to take them away from those that enjoy them.

You are not a casual if you want to work for ascended items. You may not have the time for it because of real life stuff, but don’t act like you play the game only for fun and not for the rewards because there are both of these in-game atm and there is a choice that is only up to you.

Please do not generalize, in which you did in a very gross manner. I am a casual, and much of my guild is casual, and most of my friends and family are casual, and none of us complain about ascended gear. We are not what you described casuals being a plague. And unless you can show some hard proof that casual in general do not like the direction of the game, do not make a gross generalization about casuals because of some vocal ones on the forums.

Posted by: Przemek.6835

Przemek.6835

I judge people by the forums obviously because they are the ones that I am referring to. The pseudo casuals that spam QQ ascended/manifesto topics.

Think about what I have said again. It is clear that I got nothing against true casuals. The problem is with the ones that spread the hatered via forums. Their philosophy is “we can have fun but you cant, take your fun out of our game”.

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

I’ve said it before – so I’ll say it again, wee!

I’d have far less of an issue with ascended gear if it wasn’t unreasonable to get it.

Or if the effects of it were more negligible than it seems like they’re going to be.

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

We were told we would get our end game gear and never have to worry about it in the future. But no. More and more ascended items keep coming out.

Regardless of what anyone said, what sense would it make in a game that is planned to be alive for a decade or more to have an ENTIRE system in place – itemization – completely END within a month of players starting? OF COURSE they are going to continue item progression. Sheesh.

Plus, why would you want to be done? And if you do… why do it anyway? Why not just ask for gear right out of the box? Because if you enjoy getting it – enjoy it more! if you don’t then why do it at all?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I judge people by the forums obviously because they are the ones that I am referring to. The pseudo casuals that spam QQ ascended/manifesto topics.

Think about what I have said again. It is clear that I got nothing against true casuals. The problem is with the ones that spread the hatered via forums. Their philosophy is “we can have fun but you cant, take your fun out of our game”.

There have been an equal number of “hard core” players that have kittened just as loudly about having to ‘work for ascended.’ Neither one side or the other is less guilty than the rest. Many ‘hard core’ players just wanted it handed to them as well, because it was ‘out of their way’ or they ‘dont craft’ blah blah.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Colin Johanson: " We just want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. Everyone enjoys that. Everyone finds it fun."

Didn’t you read the manifesto? It clearly says that!

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

And Holy Grind Wars went silently down the tube.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

No.

In GW1, did you need to grind title points to literally have PvE skills become more powerful?

• Yes.

• No.

Because it’s not like GW1 had elite instances and hardmode which people completed without PvE skills before EotN, right?

Pretty sure hardmode came out after EotN…

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

What kind of content are you looking for cause so far since release they’ve issued

PvP maps
(2 iirc, both conquest mode, so new maps but not new gameplay)

Jumping Puzzles
(not for everyone)

New Dynamic events (hard to ID as new; can I definitively say this is new, or did I miss it the last time through?)

New Mini Dungeons
(where?)

New Dungeons
(FotM, one of the two best additions; where are MF and AR, though?)

Solo PvE Bosses (the queen’s guantlet thing)
(gone)

New Mini Games
(not for everyone)

New Zones
(Ah, the Southsun wasteland, where there is little to do solo and little reason for larger groups to go there; and where is Labyrinthine Cliffs?)

New Group events
(The invasions, poor imitations of invasions from Rift)

Guild Missions
(the other of the two best additions)

Changes to WvW
(meh)

Changes to Achievements
(QoL changes for dailies and monthlies; a plethora of click x y times for achievement; rewards being added — that was a nice initiative, but it’s not something you can play, really, but something you get by playing)

New Skins
(some good, some bad, some RNG, some pay — again, not something you can play)

New World events
(Teq — popular now, but who knows for how long; and the back end issues are harder to deal with than the boss)

What could you possibly want to play with your friends that isn’t included in that list above. Everything that GW1 offered as far as I can tell is in that list above so please tell us what specifically you and your friends are looking for that not a single update we got so far included?

Comments on your list in parentheses. I eliminated the duplicates.

As to what you can play that isn’t on the list, and what GW offered that GW2 does not?

1. Elite areas with different rewards and rare skins that take a lot of time to get, but playing through the content to get them is fun (this one is the biggest difference imo between GW and GW2)
  2. Hard mode instances for those who find the current dungeon modes too easy
  3. Additions to story that actually require playing through involved content (versus listening to an NPC, clicking a few things on a map or in an instance, and fighting a few token mobs)
  4. New zones that actually have permanent things to do, that are both feasible and worth doing (see Southsun for comparison)

Also, not related to GW, but:

1. Dungeon revamps that were begun with AC continuing, instead of being abandoned

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

As to what you can play that isn’t on the list, and what GW offered that GW2 does not?

1. Elite areas with different rewards and rare skins that take a lot of time to get, but playing through the content to get them is fun (this one is the biggest difference imo between GW and GW2)
  2. Hard mode instances for those who find the current dungeon modes too easy
  3. Additions to story that actually require playing through involved content (versus listening to an NPC, clicking a few things on a map or in an instance, and fighting a few token mobs)
  4. New zones that actually have permanent things to do, that are both feasible and worth doing (see Southsun for comparison)

Also, not related to GW, but:

1. Dungeon revamps that were begun with AC continuing, instead of being abandoned
  • You enjoyed Voltaic Spear farming or having 55 monk run you through a dungeon? Or the ungodly group finding times in DoA…You are a brave man.
  • Your getting a level 80 instance for Twilight Arbor.
  • Absolutely right. I do like the cutscenes, but I do wish they took some of the mechanics from GW1 Missions and used them in GW2. A copy+paste+reskin would be fine. There are challenging things to do in the Living story, but most of them are on the side. Getting through the actual story is really simple…I think the hardest one so far was defeating scarlet, which was no where as difficult (or as fun, imo) as taking Liadri out. Some dungeons do this correctly, especially with story mode (not including this LAST story mode dungeon)
  • New permanent zones seem to become wastelands. what do you consider worthwhile and what level of difficulty would make it feasible?
Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Im so shocked at how many people are so ill informed, assuming that they will add more tiers of gear the grind is insane they are caving to the 1%‘ers aka hardcore players….when they don’t realise everything they are saying is false and to be brutally honest those vocal forum complainers are the 1%’ers -_-

You are shocked at how you yourself are so ill informed

READ MY SIG

And the best they told was “we HOPE we wont add new tier” rofl

Anyway, you dont even need new tier for endless gear grind, they already have boatload of grind in this tier, dont worry, youll et new gear to grind every few months.

I read it as “should have” not “would have” so…

Also, I’m not seeing there anything that implies BiS gear – it only implies that at 80, you “should” already be competitive with others – which you are. Assuming you have rares.

Really?

Read it AGAIN rofl, seems it didnt sit well, hey read it as many times as you need to sink in.

K. I’ll copy-paste.

I was still in greens, blues, and a rare or two when i first hit 80, not full exotics! Colin lied!

BlueZone.4236

K. I’ll copy-paste.

Exotic
22 + 25 = 47
90 + 25 = 115
56 + 25 = 81 (=> 162)
67 + 25 = 92 (=> 184)

Summed up = 687

Ascended
91 (=> 182)
103 (=> 206)

Summed up = 758

What you said is all true but keep in mind stats in Gw2 arent just something you get from equipement. Remove every piece of equipement and your power rating will not be 0, it will be 916
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Power

hence based on your example if you’re wearing exotics your power rating would be 1603 and wearing ascended items you’d get 1674. So in real terms your increase is just 4-5% not 10%.

Thats also excluding that some consumables like
say traffle steak and superior sharping stone can increase that amount by even more further reducing the gap you get between exotic and ascended in real terms.

Yes, thank you for clarifying the increase in terms of power.
Here’s the thing, the weapon itself increases the weapon strength by 5%, so you’re looking at 5 + (4 or 5) % for damage.

The question is where are you going to use this extra 10% increase in stats? I don’t see any new content coming out that actually requires these extra stats.

Is the game perfectly playable in Exotics only (and even rares or masterwork)? Yes. There is nothing you can’t do with Exotics only, other than higher tier fractals, and you can’t do that only because of the gating mechanism (Agony) not because of any other kind of difficulty. If Agony Resistance could be added on Exotics there would be no reason for Ascended to be a MUST have for anyone.

Will Ascended gear allow a player to survive in hard encounters? Encounters that he is not able to in Exotics? No, absolutely not. For example, someone who can’t beat Giganticus Lupicus won’t suddenly be able to, by changing his gear to an Ascended version. An unskilled player is an unskilled player no matter the gear, which was one of the selling points of this game anyway. Player Skill > Gear

I hope we never get content that actually requires Ascended gear to beat, but until we do, the only purpose of Ascended is to give the content locusts and the grinders something to do.

Of course it’s doable without it.
Go play the entire game in rares or masterwork for the rest of this game’s life span then. You have no issues with it.
Player Skill > Gear, but (Player Skill + Gear) > Player Skill

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

We were told we would get our end game gear and never have to worry about it in the future. But no. More and more ascended items keep coming out.

Regardless of what anyone said, what sense would it make in a game that is planned to be alive for a decade or more to have an ENTIRE system in place – itemization – completely END within a month of players starting? OF COURSE they are going to continue item progression. Sheesh.

Because the end game was supposed to be — according to the devs-- actual playable content (dynamic world, etc.) combined with grinding for cosmetics.

Posted by: ToPocHi.2480

ToPocHi.2480

I’ve been away again for work and during my trip, all I could do is read the forums to follow up with updates, player response and the likes. And it’s all hate for this game here. What gives?! What did ANet do exactly to us that we’d bash them endlessly like they’ve committed atrocious, heinous crimes that deserve death on the stake? Thank God the “Holy Grind Wars” thread was locked. It was beyond toxic there..

I always look forward to coming home to play the game, just relaxing and enjoying myself. Pertaining to the topic itself, the game caters a lot to a casual like me. When I have spare time for leisure, I turn the game up and pick up where I left off. My AP stands at 2.1k and that should speak a lot for the level of “casual” here. And with so much that ANet is introducing, I don’t feel one bit intimidated, contrary to the uproar by the masses regarding ascended gear (the grind?), falling behind in AP, introduction of hard content which requires coordination and thus the end of casual content for everyone? Uhh, what? Seems like people complain about anything these days.

Here’s how I see it, this game is remarkable in just about every aspect I can think of. I miss out on an enormous amount of dailies (and with that AP’s) due to the nature of my work. Do I feel like I’m falling behind? No, and why should I? There’s ascended gear and legendaries that apparently take forever to acquire and you can only procure them by means of crafting. Do I feel like I’m hitting a wall here? Jeez, no. I do just fine with a mix of rares and exotics. I do get killed quite a bit (probably due to a lack of skill as of yet >.<) in WvW and PvP but that’s a part of the game and I enjoy the interaction there and sportsmanship (where it is exhibited). Can’t kill Teq? Makes it a reason to go out there, talk to players, try to organize something and try taking that Taco down as a community. I’ve yet to take him down, but the interaction with people and esprit de corp is reward enough as it stands. Plus the fights are entertaining despite the lack of successes thus far.

I love this game and I will repeat myself as many times to ascertain to people that not everyone are whiners/haters/trolls in the forums. I have certain gripes anout the game myself but it doesn’t warrant the kinds of hate that many in the forums seem to so brazenly express at every given possible whim. And I can clearly identify few of which have clearly aligned themselves that way.

Tl:dr – Game’s great, I’m a casual and don’t see how the game’s straying from that. There’s content for everyone to enjoy and it’s up to each player to see that themselves. And stop hating on the game already. That is why we cannot have nice things.

Posted by: Ivonbeton.6814

Ivonbeton.6814

Hahahaha

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Casuals are the same as Hardcore. They are both players. A subset of that are players who like easy content, and players that like a challenge. As such, this game has different offerings that appeal to different player types. I love the Clock Tower JP. I know people who hate it. I love Tequatl, yet a lot of people don’t.

The best solution to all of this is to just find what you like, and stick to it. If you want to try your hand at new content that’s extremely hard to do, you’re more than welcome to try. Anyone can go in and play whatever this game has. It’s up to you if you find it fun or not. What I don’t like is when one set of players wants hard content made easier. Sure they’re free to state their opinion on the matter, but imagine the complaints if I were to ask that all their easy content were made harder?

In a sense, there’s already balance in the game. Is Tequatl too hard? You can fight the Shadow Behemoth in Queensdale. Is Urmaug’s Secret JP in LA too easy? Wait for the Clock Tower later this month. There’s something for everyone.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

(edited by Smooth Penguin.5294)

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I’ve been away again for work and during my trip, all I could do is read the forums to follow up with updates, player response and the likes. And it’s all hate for this game here. What gives?! What did ANet do exactly to us that we’d bash them endlessly like they’ve committed atrocious, heinous crimes that deserve death on the stake?

The perception that they betrayed their ideals. The forum didn’t start to get really toxikittenil the November update and ascended items. Its reached another level with the intro of ascended weapons.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Raziel.4216

Raziel.4216

Can you please point out what content is unavailable to you because you dont have an ascended wep or accesories besides high-level fractals?
If you can, your argument has a point, because they would be screwing over their manifesto.

If you cant, then you’re just whining you cant have it asap, why would a casual want a luxury item that will make you deal a bit of extra damage (oh the imbalance!)

The game has stuff for casual players (most of the content) and some stuff for hardcores (legendary, ascended, high lvl fractals). Why would a casual care about hardcore content? It makes no sense, they’re not locking you out of anything.

If Legend of Zelda came out tomorrow, the usual
forum dwellers would go nuts about the need to
“grind” to get exp, new swords, new potions etc

Posted by: Sentry.3691

Sentry.3691

WvW is the only game mode where people have a valid theoretical point. However:

• Anet said from the get go that WvW would not be balanced
  • People who like to play WvW tend to play…WvW. That means, at the moment, the majority are not swimming in ascended gear
  • WvW is mostly about large-group tactics. You should be more concerned with a people having a group consumable buff than a few people with fewer ascended items.

Why do people keep buying into this bs? If a competitive mode is not meant to be balanced, there is absolutely no reason to play it. The simple fact of the matter is that Anet is clueless when it comes to wvw. They don’t know what to do, so they have decided to just give up. This whole ‘it was never meant to be balanced’ thing is just Anet hand-waving the problem away.

Anet doesn’t seem to realize that there are many, many players like me who will be giving up on the game soon because wvw was the only thing keeping us here. Wvw is GW2’s only end-game content worth playing. And wvw is dying rapidly; Ascended gear, poor class balance, massive server population differences, zerging, skill lag, the bloodlust buff, and the upcoming wvw leagues are going to kill it.

Don’t act like Anet’s stance on wvw balance makes sense, please.

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

I consider myself casual due to college demands, and I’ve never grinded in GW2, or focused solely on farming (well except for SAB, but I loved SAB and I also love what it’s done to my jumping skills). I’ve never felt pressured to get ascended and haven’t cared to actively pursue the weapons. I don’t focus on farming, yet usually net 1-10g in a sitting just doing whateves. I don’t feel barred from any of the content in the game, with the exception of not having enough time to do some things on some days. Not the game’s fault. So yes. I would say GW2 is fun for casuals imo.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

There is only one way to get ascended weapons, because drops shouldn’t count as a reliable method to acquire anything if the drop rate is less than 10%.

That’s not player friendly to anything who isn’t a hardcore, and honestly, everyone even enjoys crafting.

I ? Karkas.

Vayne.8563

Colin Johanson: " We just want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. Everyone enjoys that. Everyone finds it fun."

Didn’t you read the manifesto? It clearly says that!

Didn’t you read the WHOLE manifesto? Because we have a term for taking a line out of a paragraph and trying to define it. It’s called taking something “out of context”. This is most often done by lawyers and politicians to change the definition of something said.

What Colin was saying was by no means clear, but it almost certainly doesn’t refer to gear grind. Because to most older MMO players, grinding meant one thing…grinding to level by killing mobs.

Many of the older MMOs had no way to level, because you’d run out of quests and you’d have to endlessly grind mobs to level. Everything else was farming. Gear grind wasn’t even talked about.

If you look at the rest of the paragraph, he’s talking about “fun things to do”. He’s talking about how in most games you have this “boring grind” to get to the fun stuff. There’s no actual mention of gear in the paragraph. It ends with the words “we want to change the way people view COMBAT”.

I understood what he meant the first time I saw it. Gear grind never entered my mind at all. You took it as gear grind, and that’s fine, but don’t take stuff out of context to prove a point.

Because you don’t really know that that’s how he meant it. It’s certainly not how I interpreted it.

And things said later when he talked about it, he would take about leveling up to get to raiding, which is why they put the Shadow Behemoth and big encounters like that in early zones. So you could have fun things to do without the grind of leveling.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

RNG in what you actually hit for will play an even bigger part of that then the gear itself will.

Yeah, the ascended person might be able to hit harder when the RNG rolls in his favor, but there are far more numbers that are the same as Exotic as on Ascended to be rolled, then there are of higher numbers.

Posted by: Pariah.8506

Pariah.8506

No.

• Yes.

• No.

Pretty sure hardmode came out after EotN…

Hard mode was introduced in the April 19, 2007 update for Prophecies, Factions, and Nightfall and in the October 12, 2007 update for Eye of the North.
EotN was released on the 31st of August

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Its not Hardcore or Casual… It’s just tedious Grind, with temp content laden on top every two weeks so players will buy Gems..

BlueZone.4236

RNG in what you actually hit for will play an even bigger part of that then the gear itself will.

Yeah, the ascended person might be able to hit harder when the RNG rolls in his favor, but there are far more numbers that are the same as Exotic as on Ascended to be rolled, then there are of higher numbers.

Yes and no, I guess?
I can assume you’re referring to an axe, which has a large range:
Exotic Weapon Damage: 857 – 1048
Ascended Weapon Damage: 900 – 1100
There’s only 148 points that overlap.

For a greatsword (the only weapon I’m concerned about :P):
Exotic Weapon Damage: 924-981
Ascended Weapon Damage: 970-1030
There’s only 11 points that overlap.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

The game has content for every one and it is casual friendly if you are casual and just play the game when you have time for fun.
It is stops being fun for everyone the moment you do boring repetitive things to chase some illusionary carrot because you have convinced yourself that you have to have it.

The forums however are a cesspit and I honestly think that the more you read the forums the less you will enjoy the game.
It blows my mind the level of complaints and entitlement floating around here.

Face it GW2 has spoiled people to the point where they literally complain about everything.
We get what we ask for so much that we seem to think we should get it how, when and implemented on an individual level.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Every non casual player I know hate this kittening crafting. Doing brainless and mindnumbing activities are not an answer, we’re not drones (well, some might be). Other mmos at least have more enjoyable methods to acquire bis gear.