GW Veterans missed out on items due to RNG?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

During the flame and frost living story event, I missed out on the molten jetpack back piece. I can’t count how many times I ran that dungeon, but no matter how many times I did it, I was never lucky enough to get a drop.

Now it sells for a few hundred gold on the TP and I’m kinda irked. X__x

I do think if you’re going to make content or introduce items with timed availability, you should not create a situation where there is such a heavy reliance on RNG as a means to acquire them. I’d rather do achievements, treasure hunts or farm things like tokens for timed content, as opposed to just hoping and praying for the best, only to be disappointed time and time again.

I don’t mind as much if RNG is involved with permanent content, because at least it gives us time, but there are some areas in the game where drop rates are still obscenely low, to the point of being ridiculous (fractal weapons and precursors come to mind). I’ve done hundreds of fractal runs and still only gotten 3 weapon skins, none of which were the ones I actually hoped for. Meanwhile, there sure isn’t a shortage of ascended rings that have done a good job of hogging a good portion of my bank, which is just another blatant reminder of how unbalanced drops are. You get too much of the things you don’t need and not enough of what you want. I swear I wish I could melt down all those rings and forge a fractal sword with them. >_<

(edited by Tenrai Senshi.2017)

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

You do realize that GW1 has/had an advantage over GW2…the way it was set up is that if you didn’t farm an area or mobs for a length of time your chances of getting a rare drop from said mob increased. That’s correct, instead of constantly farming the same area over and over, it was much faster to get a rare drop in the first game by completely ignoring an area for weeks on end, then going and farming. You don’t have the same mechanic with drops in GW2, only exp.

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

I think I was lucky. Most of my GW1 characters have the “green” weapons I wanted for them, but 90% of those I had to buy with plat or ectos…

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

I don’t mind the rng for super rare cool stuff. the difference between GW1 & 2 that I do mind is that in GW2 a lot of these items are account or soulbound. At least in GW1 if I had real crappy luck I could use all that coin I earned farming to buy the skin I wanted.

Posted by: pandas.9450

pandas.9450

If we are talking about the first game, I never got an Icy Dragon Sword, and I tried and tried, and tried again.

That was something I tried and tried to get from the ice imps but never did, and then wound up getting it from the guy with the yakk.

I farmed them plenty and sadly so did others that made them dead cheap >_>

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Therefore we should have content customization by the player base, by increasing this diversity you satisfy desire for uniqueness and drops can drop for everyone, no need for RNG, it seemed completely redundant and silly in GW1 and it still does today if you kill something holding a desirable skin you should be able to walk off with it when you kill it.

What did it break in the battle every-time we fought?
Did I suddenly develop amnesia and forget to pick it up?

In other MMORPGs I’ve played chances of good loot dropping are nearly 100%, every boss drops at least one item that is worthy, but it then needs to be split to the party members. In the Guild Wars games it’s only random for each player. In other MMORPGs this system you describe, all mobs dropping what they carry, is possible and easy to implement and in some of them it does indeed work.

The problem is, imagine a group of 5 killing that mob, should it drop 5 Staffs that is holding, one for each one? Or imagine a big blob of 30 players killing it, should it drop 30 identical Staffs?

The main problem with RNG in this game, and to some extent in GW1 as well, is the lack of loot distribution. Both games suffer because of this, in other MMORPGs the loot drops for the entire party and it’s up to the group to distribute it among them, in GW1/GW2 every player rolls individually on the loot table for their own specific loot, therefore to keep content from becoming stale (when everyone gets everything they can get from it) the RNG in both games has a very very low chance.

In GW1 they somewhat reduced the effect of loot distribution by allowing all items to be traded between players, that way those who were lucky and got blessed by the RNG got their items, but the unlucky ones got the items by spending gold. In GW2 they take the bad features of both types, bound gear AND based only on RNG, while using only one of the benefits: loot for everyone.

Give bosses a 100% chance of loot drops, but the bosses should drop ONE of those items, and up to the players to distribute it. Non-pug groups will benefit the most from this, imagine you are in a group (now we are even discussing raids in GW2) of 25 players and kill the boss, the boss has a 100% chance to drop what you want. Even if all 25 players want that item, for example a good looking mini, you WILL get it someday. With GW2 RNG you are not guaranteed to get what you want even after a thousand attempts. Some people suggest tokens, I suggest a better distribution, by making those items Account Bound on Acquire, those who already have it will have no use getting it again, so eventually, EVERYONE in the game will have the item in question (everyone that can BEAT the content)

This isnt really the issue, Anet really just decided to make loot extremely low rate, with very little control over what you get. Remember when they said people would get fractal boxes a year ago? Then they said it was never meant to be in this update.

yeah the reason loot sucks, is because anet wants loot to suck, it isnt cause people cant lot, they just dont want you to get anything without insane grinding. Look at almost every item of value in the game. you can multiply the chances by 5 and it would still suck horribly.

The whole having 300 people killing one monster and getting loot is a red herring. Assuming your game is populated, and people can go after what they want. In other games you would have those same 300 people hunting 60 different things in that same time frame.

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

i hunted for a dryad bow to the ends of tyria and never got one

it almost got to the point where I didn’t think it existed

until i offered plat for one

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Sure, I’ve missed out on a specific items I was after due to RNG lots of times in GW1, and in some instances there weren’t people selling them either. It happens. For example, I tried and tried and tried for The Nightbringer, but it eluded me, and still does. I think I only found one person selling it, ever, and what they were asking for it was far beyond my price range. shrug

That said, I fully expect to encounter such in GW2 as well. For example, I’ll probably never have the fractal sword skin, no matter how many fractals I do. That’s just how the dice roll.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

You do realize that GW1 has/had an advantage over GW2…the way it was set up is that if you didn’t farm an area or mobs for a length of time your chances of getting a rare drop from said mob increased. That’s correct, instead of constantly farming the same area over and over, it was much faster to get a rare drop in the first game by completely ignoring an area for weeks on end, then going and farming. You don’t have the same mechanic with drops in GW2, only exp.

I’d love to see some proof of this. I played Guild Wars 1 for years and never saw anything about that…or heard it from anyone else.

Is this something the devs have said, or something you worked out for yourself?

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

edit: actually now that I think about it, dedicating an item to your HoM did not even soulbind it, just not allow them to dedicate it to theirs so you could get cheaper priced items if they were ded cuz at that point you can only use them not collect as achievement.

Weapons were soul bound after dedicating, minis were not. (Are not.)

I played gw1 for ~1k hours total which is how long it took me to fill HoM. I did get a froggy scepter, with the wrong stat so I couldn’t use it. Having everything in gw1 tradeable saved me a ton of pain, cause I could do easy/fun things (dailies) to buy annoying or tedious things (200 zkeys. Think I earned ~40 myself playing during bonus times.)

I understand why they made some things in gw1 untradeable, but it doesn’t really help unlucky people. I have average luck when it comes to things I can sell, and terrible luck for account bound things. No fossils, no teq hoard, no ghost dog. I tried to get someone to take the bet that I would get a full stack of spoons before getting a hoard, but no one in my guild would bet against the rng.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

The RNG in GW2 is worse. Yes GW1 had rare drops and sometime, even after 50-100 tries, you might not get what you want.

But 100 or 200 tries in GW2 is nothing.

The polar bear mini would like a word with you.

How nice, you chose the one single thing Anet completely kittened us up over with. Even going as far as saying that it didn’t exist (kind of like the opposite of what they did in GW2 with Final Rest).
Otherwise, be it a BDS, Frog Scepter, Voltaic Spear or anything else, it wasn’t a mere dream to hope to get them.

But let’s see in GW2 all the things that have stupidly low chances to drop :
-fractal weapons (but an 8+ month old bug affecting their drop rates have been fixed recently, so who knows…)
-fractal tonic
-dungeon recipes
-precursor
-chaos of lyssa recipe (but hey, they “fixed” the drop rate !)
-the first batch of Halloween weapons
-ascended chests from WvW
-the halloween minipet
-TA weapons

Of course, if you want to kid yourself into thinking that GW2’s RNG is perfectly fine and that it’s completely intended for someone to open 80k ToTs and not get a single wolf, feel free.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

GW1 did a lot of things that GW2 flubbed on by becoming “more of an MMO”.

The RNG system was one.

The latest “lottery” is just an example of how terrible Anet’s flubbing up on their own.

In all honesty, account binding – or more specifically, binding on acquire – is the source of the flubbing up in the RNG, mind you. In GW1, “customization” existed, but NOTHING ever dropped customized – armor were crafted customized, and you could customize weapons, for a bonus to damage – but that’s all. And that’s how it should have been in GW2, too.

Take away the “bound on acquire” trait of any item that has it, and BAM, RNG system annoyances disappear.

Of course, it means that more people get what they want sooner, but why prevent that? To keep people playing longer? Sure they may, or they may not, but they’ll be increasingly frustrated the longer they play without getting the item they want until they give up, which may include leaving the game with bitterness. Not something you want – because if they leave without bitterness, they may come back.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Take away the “bound on acquire” trait of any item that has it, and BAM, RNG system annoyances disappear.

Precursors. Not account-bound, and some of the most complained-about (deservedly!) items in the game.

Konig Des Todes.2086

Precursors. Not account-bound, and some of the most complained-about (deservedly!) items in the game.

Complaining about not getting a precursor is like complaining about not getting a Mini Polar Bear in GW1.

It’s one situation over dozens of thousands.

But of all subjects of RNG complaints, how many are there other than precursors?

Now imagine that precursors would be the only RNG complaint, because all the others… are bound on acquire (Fractal weapons, Ascended gear, etc.).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Of course, if you want to kid yourself into thinking that GW2’s RNG is perfectly fine and that it’s completely intended for someone to open 80k ToTs and not get a single wolf, feel free.

How about the same amount of Ice Imps at the Mineral Springs killed and no Icy Dragon Sword? How about a grand total of 6 Ectoplasm over seven years of GW1 out of the Underworld?

Don’t try to tell me the RNG of GW1 was better. I had/have to grind me some plat if I want to even think of getting Obsidian Armor.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’d love to see some proof of this. I played Guild Wars 1 for years and never saw anything about that…or heard it from anyone else.

Is this something the devs have said, or something you worked out for yourself?

I have no proof, just anecdotes. Many of my GW Alliance members believed that if an area was not being done, drop chances improved. They, however, attributed it to the entire player base, not just one’s self. In other words, if few people were going into Eternal Grove explorable, for example, drop chances improved. I myself did fairly consistently experience better drop rates in some areas whose outpost access points were always deserted, but the sample size is way too small for any conclusions.

That said, I just logged onto my two accounts and checked the characters for another reason, and found many BDay presents — in some cases as many as three on a single character. Opened them all. Probably haven’t opened a BDay present in almost two years. Drop rate was ridiculously lucky, providing more purple and above than lower, including 4 greens.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

I have to question that, I played GW1 for a bit after release (enough to get four characters to 20), but lost interest in it until just a couple months ago when I went back into for HoM rewards. I haven’t seen anything other than blues drop so far, but you’d think I would be swimming in higher tier stuff if drop rates actually went up based on how long you haven’t farmed a spot – and I haven’t farmed in nine years!

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

GW1 had way way way better RNG. I enjoyed doing FoW, UW etc and getting that rare drop.
GW2 can’t have GW1 RNG since the gemstore rules all.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Tobias Trueflight.8350

GW1 didn’t have “better” RNG so much as it had smaller pools from which to draw from.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Konig Des Todes.2086

GW1 didn’t have “better” RNG so much as it had smaller pools from which to draw from.

It’s a bit of both.

GW1 had smaller variations in weapons – no stats or stat combinations like Berserker/Knights/etc.; ever since Nightfall, inscriptions could be changed, and even before the bonuses + 2 upgrades were a lot less than the sigil numbers we have in GW2; the only real variancy there was, was one of five bow types, one of four shield types, and one of twenty focus/staff/wand types.

GW2, however, has binding on acquire – which then isolates the RNG to per account, sometimes even per character, rather than per community (via trade). There also seems to be a lot more cases of MPB in GW2, whereas we only really had the one in GW1.

So GW1 did have less variables, but GW2 also has a worse set-up.

And something ironic about GW1 and GW2 in regards to drops and the like…

Since release, we’ve had a lot of new runes, sigils, and stat combinations presented. But throughout GW1’s lifespan, the only time new such things were added was with Nightfall, introducing generic prefix runes and inscriptions (as opposed to hard-set upgrades); excluding new profession runes and new weapons(’ upgrades).

GW1 had a lot less character progression… and yet there was so little complaint about the lack of it (or at least, I never saw or heard it), especially compared to the complaints with GW2! I find this humorous, personally. I don’t know if this is a fault of the game’s design, or a change in community. I think both, personally, though more of the latter (as I recall that the community – the parts I was interacting with in GW1’s community) had grown harsher as GW2 became more popular).

Dear ANet writers,

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

On what planet do I need to have qualifications to point out common sense? It’s just simple fact that you can’t speak for everyone based on personal biases and anecdotal evidence, much less go into someone’s argument and try to “disprove” it with some claim that you know what they’re thinking.

So your saying I can’t go into someone else’s argument to try to " disprove" them with some claim to know what they are thinking? What exactly are you doing then with my argument then? Oh the irony.

Its a “simple fact” that you CAN NOT please everyone, the more you try the more you fail. So what do you do? You go with the majority – I don’t know about you but personally I’ve never seen a complaint of how hard it is to get the impaler and have seen complaints about the low value of loot which is caused by…..

maybe they need qualification for common sense, since you have to be qualified to kitten the motivations of gw2 players no?

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Posted by: Leaa.2943

Leaa.2943

Well i have nearly 5000 hours of playtime since the game started and yet not one single pre-cursor have dropped for me. No skins at all in any event or any situation in game have ever dropped. The only thing i got dropped like that in game in the min teq. But it took me probably 200 times before it dropped.

Scrap tickets from BL-chests which i probably have open several hundreds by now if not more, have all together dropped 17 tickets, so i have bought 1 skin from all the events over the year. The 7 scraps i have is on the bank and been the same number for months. RNG simply hates me, i have accepted it and after over 2 years i have no legendary and i guess i never will get one.
I probably should admit that i feel a bit sad over it though, i think i earned one consider how much time i put in to the game, but oh well… some people just don’t have luck

Pandaman.4758

So your saying I can’t go into someone else’s argument to try to " disprove" them with some claim to know what they are thinking? What exactly are you doing then with my argument then? Oh the irony.

… are you serious? What irony?

In the game everyone has access to the exact same activities, why can’t they all have access to the same rewards then? —- very simple my lad, you ONLY want that item because its rare and harder to obtain. If everyone had access to it then you wouldnt want it, Hence your here complaining about rng for this one item while 95% of the other game items are on the tp for a gold or less

That’s what you said, I have not put any words in your mouth or made any claims about what motivated you to say that, so you’re going to have to explain how a) you aren’t claiming to know what the OP is thinking, b) aren’t trying to claim the OP’s only complaining because they want a certain item, and c) concluded I’m being hypocritical.

It’ll be amusing to see the pretzel logic, if nothing else.

(edited by Pandaman.4758)

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

The RNG in GW2 is worse. Yes GW1 had rare drops and sometime, even after 50-100 tries, you might not get what you want.

But 100 or 200 tries in GW2 is nothing.

The polar bear mini would like a word with you.

How nice, you chose the one single thing Anet completely kittened us up over with. Even going as far as saying that it didn’t exist (kind of like the opposite of what they did in GW2 with Final Rest).
Otherwise, be it a BDS, Frog Scepter, Voltaic Spear or anything else, it wasn’t a mere dream to hope to get them.

But let’s see in GW2 all the things that have stupidly low chances to drop :
-fractal weapons (but an 8+ month old bug affecting their drop rates have been fixed recently, so who knows…)
-fractal tonic
-dungeon recipes
-precursor
-chaos of lyssa recipe (but hey, they “fixed” the drop rate !)
-the first batch of Halloween weapons
-ascended chests from WvW
-the halloween minipet
-TA weapons

Personally, I find it more alarming that any player would go through 80k bags. That they’d have the resources to acquire the things. They weren’t nearly so easy to farm as advertised, and that’s a lot of pocket change to make up the difference.

GW2 loot isn’t nearly so randomly placed as anyone has argued. You guys seriously need to do your homework. Dulfy will help, and the wiki is catching up. I’ve already given examples in a different thread, and it extends to dropped exotics.

The GW1 weapons you quoted also had stupidly low drop rates; they WERE a mere dream to hope to get them. I dungeoneered like a champ, only ever got one of those hyper-rare skins, and its stats were complete kitten.

That’s something you guys forgot. This was mostly a feature of the first two games, Prophesies and Factions, but it extended to hyper-rare drop skins in the last two. You could get a weapon that would look nice, but it would have a skill allotment requirement too high to make it useful in regular play, or it wouldn’t be max damage, or it wouldn’t have an additional bonus descriptor (inscription), or the bonus wouldn’t be max for its type. Sometimes it wouldn’t be even be attributed the way you’d need (hard to use a Energy Storing staff on your necro). So your windfall was pretty but worthless. In Nightfall and EotM, this was less of a problem. You’d still get bad req and damage, but most of the missing inscription problems could be fixed, because the weapons were mostly slotted. And ‘greens’ came with max stats. But those tended to be common, and we’re talking about platinum standard skins with your EotM dungeon drops.

In most cases of loot in GW1, you have to compete with the rest of your party. When something drops, it gets assigned to one person in the vicinity. This includes your AI helpers. This can cut your already abysmal chances by 87.5%. And unlike in GW2, when someone else gets loot, you are guaranteed to get nothing at all for that particular roll (some rarest mobs gave you as many as 4 chances).

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

In the game everyone has access to the exact same activities, why can’t they all have access to the same rewards then? —- very simple my lad, you ONLY want that item because its rare and harder to obtain. If everyone had access to it then you wouldnt want it

While that may be true of some people, this does not mean it’s true for everyone. In fact, it’s definitely not true for everyone. Just like in real world there are people who dress to convey their status, but there are also people that simply dress to look good… There are people that follow fashion sense, regardless how ridiculous it may seem to them, and those that wear what they, personally like. The same in MMO – there are people that care to show off in the most rare bling, even if that make them a glowing, walking christmas tree designed by a color blind, there are people that want to look good, and do not care if what they wear is rare or not, and there are people that only make sure if their gear is BiS and would gladly wear the most common and plain looking stuff if it was better than everything else by even 0.1%.
TL/DR: do not think that everyone’s motivation is the same as yours, because people are different.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

Never found/forged precursor ever.

Eight hours a day, seven days a week ?

Wow.

Could be worse. He could be someone who has that much time invested and then criticizes others for being “entitled” because he got good loot for such an absurd input.

GW1 had a lot less character progression…

By whose account? I recall* several skill additions with Cantha and a lot of skill balancing and tweaking even in the early stages of the game. This is just blatantly false. I’m disappointed that Konig of all people would misrepresent information.

*recall: There were several skill additions and skill balances that weren’t related to something as absurdly small in detail like “updated skill fact.”

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

The “friction” that GW1 trading had made it possible to have better/reasonable drop rates. If someone found a, say, Obsidian Edge, they had to go to Kamadan and take the time to try to sell it. I would venture that some (many?) people couldn’t be bothered to take the time to sell, and so a large portion of the supply of item drops never hit the market. Add in the desire for weapons with the “perfect” q9 (or less) 15^X inherent, and the effective supply being sold could be low, even with relatively high drop rates. IMO this created a fun system where a) the best path was often to go to the specific spot and try to find the weapon yourself, b) drops rates were decent and there were often “near misses” that still left you with something to chase after (i.e. you got the skin, but its q12) and c) you could always fall back on Kamadan to buy it if RNG really hated you. Over 4 years I managed to find a majority of the exclusive dungeon items listed here . Some were usable, some weren’t, but way better than “2 blues & a green”

Contrast with GW2, where drop rates are super low but any drops can get sold with ~0 effort, thereby ensuring that supply will hit the market and the best path to acquiring something is to buy it off of tp. Near misses don’t really exist, ascended gear and transmutes make stats irrelevant…zzzzzzz loot system

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

This game isn’t meant to be “completed”, so stop thinking of it as I need a everything.

Guild Wars 2 beat the completionist clean out of me.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Ridiculously true.

If you do want everything, adjust your time expectations accordingly. It’s gotta be an exponential curve.

Posted by: The Comfy Chair.7265

The Comfy Chair.7265

I’ve missed out on loads of real life items due to RNG too :/ Where’s my lottery win?!

As for games, there’s lots of items I’ve missed out on, but my luckiest drop was a Dusk in GW2! So I think I’ve balanced out over time.

echo.2053

… are you serious? What irony?

Can you telepathically tell me what I’m thinking? prolly not and well you aren’t trying to prove my argument. There fore you’d be going into someone’s argument trying to “disprove” them with a claim to know what they are thinking?

In the game everyone has access to the exact same activities, why can’t they all have access to the same rewards then? —- very simple my lad, you ONLY want that item because its rare and harder to obtain. If everyone had access to it then you wouldnt want it, Hence your here complaining about rng for this one item while 95% of the other game items are on the tp for a gold or less

That’s what you said, I have not put any words in your mouth or made any claims about what motivated you to say that, so you’re going to have to explain how a) you aren’t claiming to know what the OP is thinking, b) aren’t trying to claim the OP’s only complaining because they want a certain item, and c) concluded I’m being hypocritical.

It’ll be amusing to see the pretzel logic, if nothing else.[/quote]

I never actually responded to the OP, Khal Drogo and maddoctor are two different accounts as far as I know. I don’t know where you got that idea from since ascended items have never been able to be listed on the tp. Its rather amusing how your first response was that “it doesn’t apply to everyone” but now suddenly its directed at that one poster as though as i called him out specifically in each later response LOL.

first time even bothering to look and didnt even have to scroll down far:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Gambling-Wars-2/page/2#post4518734

“Running higher difficulty dungeons is hardly worth the effort, since running multiple easy mode ones will yield better rewards in the end " hmmm so what would make a the dungeon worth while to do? a high value or a low value item prolly a high value yeah. What is required for it to be oh high value is for it to be hard to obtain. Now go back to the post that i first responded too and youll see he wants 100% drop rate even if its for 1 member of a group, thats would not the only group doing that content. Over time that item value will drop until once again that dungeon wouldnt be worth the effort.

Ughh I am saying that people are complaining because they want a hard to get item. Please link a few threads where people are complaining about common items the like stinger, ugly stick etc being to hard to get. At best youll find threads complaining about loot being too low of value

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

Ughh I am saying that people are complaining because they want a hard to get item. Please link a few threads where people are complaining about common items the like stinger, ugly stick etc being to hard to get. At best youll find threads complaining about loot being too low of value

It is statistically more likely to NEVER get a Teq’s hoard because it is account bound. I don’t really care if it is ascended or not – I just want the skin. The only good thing about Teq is that it is fun, easy and quite fast and nets you a good chunk of karma and dragonite and a bit of bloodstone dust and G (more in the 1st daily run).

Guess my luck was used up in getting fractal dagger and fractal sword although imho they have been superceded by the chaos weapon skins.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

Pandaman.4758

Can you telepathically tell me what I’m thinking? prolly not and well you aren’t trying to prove my argument. There fore you’d be going into someone’s argument trying to “disprove” them with a claim to know what they are thinking?

I expected pretzel logic and you delivered wonderfully. Thank you for that.

TIL pointing out a flaw in an argument is the same as making unfounded claims about a stranger’s motivations because they’re marginally related by a snark about telepathy.

I never actually responded to the OP, Khal Drogo and maddoctor are two different accounts as far as I know. I don’t know where you got that idea from since ascended items have never been able to be listed on the tp. Its rather amusing how your first response was that “it doesn’t apply to everyone” but now suddenly its directed at that one poster as though as i called him out specifically in each later response LOL.

Whoops, since this argument has spanned several days I lost focus and forgot to check if the poster you were replying to was the OP.

first time even bothering to look and didnt even have to scroll down far:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Gambling-Wars-2/page/2#post4518734

“Running higher difficulty dungeons is hardly worth the effort, since running multiple easy mode ones will yield better rewards in the end " hmmm so what would make a the dungeon worth while to do? a high value or a low value item prolly a high value yeah. What is required for it to be oh high value is for it to be hard to obtain. Now go back to the post that i first responded too and youll see he wants 100% drop rate even if its for 1 member of a group, thats would not the only group doing that content. Over time that item value will drop until once again that dungeon wouldnt be worth the effort.

Literally one line before your quote: “Harder content should have higher rewards, right now, the easier and more boring some content is, the better rewards (in currency) it offers.”

It’s not even a post about drop rates, it’s about the imbalances of difficulty vs. currency rewards. It’s not about the devaluation of common items, it’s that you make more gold (or whatever temporary currency in question) farming easy content than you do hard content; that has almost nothing to do with this thread, because what’s being discussed is neither difficulty (RNG is luck, not difficulty) nor currency rewards (we’re talking about item rewards).

Maddoctor’s first post suggests the old system of fixed drops for specific content, distribution to be determined by party (which, idly, I’m not a fan of, but I’m not going to argue about that), this does not imply he wants rare loot to be common; rarity in that model is determined by 1) content difficulty, 2) if the drop is soul/account bound, and 3) how people actually want it and thus do runs for it.

No, you said maddoctor wouldn’t even want the unspecified item at all if it were common and you implied (through your dogged defense of your right to make unfounded assumptions about other people) that you believed this to be universally true. You’re ignoring the fact that practically every RNG complaint thread is more about the RNG rewarding luck rather over time/effort than it is about the specific examples being given, and instead fixate upon rarity as if that’s the only important thing.

You want threads complaining about “common” unique exotics? How about you show me threads complaining about not getting Venom (trident precursor)? By your logic there should be as many threads about that as Dusk simply because they’re equally rare. Also by your logic TP prices of precursors should all be comparable simply based on rarity (they’re not, aforementioned Venom is 75g and Dusk is 1,450g) or “common” exotics like Bonetti’s Rapier and Komalie’s Sacrificial Blade should also be comparable (they’re not, former is 9g and latter is 94g).

But honestly, I’m getting real tired of trying to argue common sense. If down is up to you, feel free to continue digging yourself to greater heights.

(edited by Pandaman.4758)

Posted by: Malin.2490

Malin.2490

I honestly has got more rare drops in GW2 than I ever got in GW1.

Jamail Saoud [Nice], the man with the Drake

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Ok I need to change my answer.

Before I said no I haven’t missed out because all the RNG items I’ve wanted have also been tradeable, so I could just buy them if I didn’t get a drop myself.

Then Gwynefyrdd came along. Only available as a very rare (approx. 1 in 20,000) random drop form ToT bags and account bound. After 2 weeks farming the Labyrinth I didn’t get one and have no alternative except to keep farming with maize balm and maybe never get one.

I honestly has got more rare drops in GW2 than I ever got in GW1.

How do you define rare drops?

In GW1 it was pretty much green weapons and some golds with popular skins that were worth a lot. And most of those only came from 1 specific place – like a certain boss or the end chest of 1 dungeon.

GW2 I think has more exotics with unique skins overall and they drop from a lot more places so it’s not surprising if you see them more often.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Tobias Trueflight.8350

How do you define rare drops?

In GW1 it was pretty much green weapons and some golds with popular skins that were worth a lot. And most of those only came from 1 specific place – like a certain boss or the end chest of 1 dungeon.

GW2 I think has more exotics with unique skins overall and they drop from a lot more places so it’s not surprising if you see them more often.

Three words: Miniature Polar Bear.

echo.2053

oh geez lets get the clarifying stuff out of the way:

When were talking about item rarity we aren’t meaning whether its masterwork,rare, or exotic etc. When you roll an exotic you have the same amount of chance between all those items, Even though they have the same chance certain items will come up more often then others. example rolling a 6 sided die 6 times doesn’t mean your going to roll each number once for all 6 rolls.

Though ive mentioned this already when I mention “other peoples want” its not directed solely at looks. Sure some people want to be covered in expensive things while others don’t mind being in starter gear, HOWEVER your still forgetting something that affects both of those sides – monetary want. Take that player who is in bis gear thats transmuted with starter gear, if he was guarenteed a drop which item would he more likely want a Bonetti’s Rapier (9g) or Komalie’s Sacrificial Blade (94g)? He may not like or even want that item for himself but still he is more likey to choose the higher value item which is still a form of want is it not?

Lets be real there isn’t a difficult game mechanic part in this game, at best there is slight trouble with organizing people. Then again its the general public who if there wasa wall with a sign saying wet paint dont touch, theyd go touch the wall thinking the sign was lying. You really took that as if they added a few more gold to the reward of event that took a longer time to complete, then it would suddenly persuade players to do those events even though the item drop chance is the same? That made more sense versus have specific items only obtainable ( that aren’t account/player bound)through that event to raise the value of even doing that event? sorry players dont fail events because the gold reward for failing is more then completeing the event, they do it for more chances at loot ( you know that stuff they sell for gold). Items arent bound to a certain area, ex i got dusk from orr while guildy got the pre bow from a lvl 15 area cave, so naturally they are going to do the easy fast meathods.

Of course rng is about luck, what the heck do you guys think the word random even means? Sorry to breat your heart but as magnicicient as the story of king aruther is, itd be pretty lame if anyone could pull the sword out of the stone, we all cant be king aruthers. Oh a sidenote about rng complaints, notice how there aren’t any complaints when players get items of worth like " Man I got a dusk, rng sucks !!".

wow going into a tp price was about the worst thing you could do in this conversation. Your right I most likely wouldnt be able to bring up a post with a person complaining about having a hard time getting the venom when by all means it should have the same as the dusk. Why is this? most players ( note i didnt say all) don’t like underwater combat, players with legendaries like to show them but as anet removes places for underwater combat it makes it kinda of discouraging to make a weapon that youll rarely get to show. That is why the price is lower compared to the other precursosrs, but in comparison to the other exotic tridents the venom is the most valued. The chance to get it isnt different from any other precursor, I wonder if youd be singing the same tune if this was a thread of a player spending 1000’s of gold trying to get the venom if it still was valued at 75g. Cross item types aren’t really comparable due to other factors, example my main is a mesmer so your not gonna see me complaining about rifles and bows since i can’t actually use them. However in comparison with their own wepon types are they not all the most valued ( except dawn)?

You should of done your research before picking Bonetti’s Rapier and Komalie’s Sacrificial Blade lol. Prior to sept 9th both items were in realitively same price range, on sept 9th komalies blade shot from 10ish gold to 90ish gold in a single day. Its price is because of a well executed market control. If it hadnt been for that its price would of been the same as the rapier which you could predict by its price over the year its been in the game.

@khal yeah I had a feeling you were really meaning the account bound portion, but according to pandaman I need to be certified to be empathic to point that out. I agree tht this account bound on aquire thing is really dumb, sadly they have it to cover their own tails. :/