GW1 Nostalgia -- Why not just PLAY GW1?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: PSX.9250

PSX.9250

Because ANET abandoned the development of GW1 to make a better game based on the same principles – no grind for stats, cosmetic endgame, good and engaging pvp.

Instead why dont the people that want vertical progression and all that go back to WoW?

Thread should of ended at this.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

So GW1 wasn’t actually good enough to stand on its own then, and lost the appeal when they no longer developed new stuff for it?

You can’t play MMO game without players, and an etiquette of a “dead game” is enough to empty any MMO very fast.

Wouldn’t that suggest that the game wasn’t as superior as people want to suggest?

Superior to what? I bet that if Anet stopped supporting GW2, it would empty much faster than GW1 did.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Rooks Zaer.5846

Rooks Zaer.5846

I wish I could trade in GW2 for another GW1 expansion

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

You can’t play MMO game without players, and an etiquette of a “dead game” is enough to empty any MMO very fast.

Superior to what? I bet that if Anet stopped supporting GW2, it would empty much faster than GW1 did.

Good thing GW1 never was an MMO then, aye?
And the fact that you can do almost everything in the game without other people? Especially since they added the 7-hero parties back in 2011.

Superior to GW2 according to the people here complaining about how much GW2 sucks. And if it indeed was so superior, why can’t they play it if it is not updated?

Based on the amount of those type of comments here, you would be able to get more then enough people to do everything in GW1.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

Well this is where you are dead wrong. They took everything away from the GW1 players. An MMO without continuous development is a dead MMO. They killed off GW1 for GW2.

But that was ok as they promised us a better Guild Wars. Not a better WoW as 99% of other MMOs did. And that s exactly why so many of us are disappointed, angry or just sad as a game that was supposed to be a revolution slowly and surely, over the course of the year became just as bland and boring as any other MMO.

The “living world” besides a few farm spots is dead. Most events are constantly in their fail state. The living story is horrible and the lore is in the trashcan. WvW is a lagzergfest of buff fields and blobs and dont even get me started on sPvP.
Sure some things are improving but as a whole from a standpoint of a GW1 player that believes in the core principles set in that game GW2 is a gigantic disappointment.

/clap Q_Q

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

Because ANET abandoned the development of GW1 to make a better game based on the same principles – no grind for stats, cosmetic endgame, good and engaging pvp.

Instead why dont the people that want vertical progression and all that go back to WoW?

Thread should of ended at this.

It didn’t because it’s a weak argument. This game is hand-over-fist closer to WoW-type gameplay than GW1 was. Can anyone say it isn’t with a straight face?

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: Wynne.3908

Wynne.3908

My theory: That all those things we miss from GW1 are where NCSoft now makes its money.

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

I have come to believe that there are two types of nostalgia for GW1 present here and in the GW2 world.

The first type, of which I am one, remembers the fun we had, and the beautiful world, and the wonderful way the professions worked together. We remember the quests, the “named” mob hunts, the UW, and the mini dungeons of EotN. We also remember endless grinding of rep for Kurzick or Luxon shineys, and the hunt for ectos and armbraces so we could use them as currency to buy even more shineys. We remember the leaps and bounds that the game made in mechanics and synergy, and we remember the bad things as well. We do indeed remember it fondly, but we’re not so blind as to think it was the game to end all games.

The second type, of which there are quite a few, remember GW1 as the Holy Grail of MMOs, even though it was not a true MMO. GW1 was actually instanced throughout except for the hubs. They also think that everything that GW1 was should be in GW2, no matter whether it was a good thing or not.

Most of us (of both types) would love to see some of the things that GW1 developed added to GW2. Saying we want something doesn’t mean we want to go back.

There are a few things from GW1 that I would NEVER want to see in GW2.

Number one on the list is the Trinity. Followed shortly thereafter by Reputation grind.

The way GW2 is now, I can play wherever I want, and do pretty much whatever I want. If I want something that involves grind, I am free to do so, but it is in no way required of me.

Tl;DR:
There are those of us who played GW1 before coming to GW2 and remember a lot about it very fondly. In my opinion, GW2 is a whole new game that even with all its problems, is still far and away better than the constraints of the old GW1 game. I don’t want to play GW1 in a shiny new box. I want to play GW2.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: rjnemer.7816

rjnemer.7816

Because Gw1 is old and dated. Yes i still enjoy it way more then gw2 but i have moved on. Its just depressing to see your favorite game go in the totally opposite direction you expected it too.

Then again it was probably always a false hope. After a companies first game they usually sell out.

“If you want to get rid of “zerk” you have to make content
hard enough to make them cry, not just rivers but oceans."

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

There are those of us who played GW1 before coming to GW2 and remember a lot about it very fondly. In my opinion, GW2 is a whole new game that even with all its problems, is still far and away better than the constraints of the old GW1 game. I don’t want to play GW1 in a shiny new box. I want to play GW2.

That’s exactly how I feel.

I loved GW1. I love GW2. There are a few aspects of GW1 I would like to see in GW2, and many of those are being addressed in the CDI threads.

Posted by: Master Ketsu.4569

Master Ketsu.4569

The problem is that GW1 is a dead game and GW2 lost the spirit of GW1 with the dumbed down skill system. The idea was less skills would result in a more balanced game, the result is not so. GW2 balance could actually benefit from more situational utility skills meant to counter various metas.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

That can work both ways, attracting people that played GW1 and keeping away people that did not like GW1 that much.

A game that does not follow the original in design, should really have a different name.

I’ll be sure to let every game series know they shouldn’t be considered a series, then.

EVERY series of games remakes themselves to some degree (the degree of which varies; Call of Duty for example has a very slow change over time, whereas the Final Fantasy series can and will drastically re-imagine the design from game to game).

It’s fine to be disappointed by GW2, but making up poor arguments is not a particularly sound way to express that disappointment.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I feel like going back and playing GW1 at times just to earn a few more titles and such. But tbh, the no jumping for me is a gamebreaker…..

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Because they promised GW2 would take everything loved about GW1 and use in GW2?

So… I’m still confused. GW1 is still there. You can play it any time.

ArenaNet took nothing away from you. They just gave you more by developing a GW2.

The problem with that is that GW1 is dead. It has a small community and no more update support (outside of holidays). If they had given GW1 continued support with an F2P business relaunch, your argument MIGHT hold ground.

rjnemer.7816

That can work both ways, attracting people that played GW1 and keeping away people that did not like GW1 that much.

A game that does not follow the original in design, should really have a different name.

I’ll be sure to let every game series know they shouldn’t be considered a series, then.

EVERY series of games remakes themselves to some degree (the degree of which varies; Call of Duty for example has a very slow change over time, whereas the Final Fantasy series can and will drastically re-imagine the design from game to game).

It’s fine to be disappointed by GW2, but making up poor arguments is not a particularly sound way to express that disappointment.

The sold out. Plain and simple. They decided to please the easily entertained/mass audience over keeping true to their core player-base that built the game up from the beginning.

Its fine. Its pretty much expected that a developer will sell out after there first game. They are not the first (by a long shot) to do so.

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

Good thing GW1 never was an MMO then, aye?
And the fact that you can do almost everything in the game without other people? Especially since they added the 7-hero parties back in 2011.

Superior to GW2 according to the people here complaining about how much GW2 sucks. And if it indeed was so superior, why can’t they play it if it is not updated?

Based on the amount of those type of comments here, you would be able to get more then enough people to do everything in GW1.

1. More than.
2. Name me ONE game you have played inside and out to absolute completion 6 or 7 times over 10 years and not been bored of.
3. This time, don’t ask me questions that answer absolutely nothing intending to deflect the question entirely. Answer it or be absent.

chemiclord.3978

The sold out. Plain and simple. They decided to please the easily entertained/mass audience over keeping true to their core player-base that built the game up from the beginning.

Its fine. Its pretty much expected that a developer will sell out after there first game. They are not the first (by a long shot) to do so.

They sold out to a larger audience? Sure. I agree.

Should they have? That’s the big question. Did they HAVE to “go big?” Would NCSoft have allowed them to remain in the niche they carved for themselves? Who made that call and why?

Personally, I saw a company try to redefine the MMO genre, change the way people play MMOs… and that larger market pretty much rejected the concept whole cloth… like it had done for EVERY challenge to the way they had grown accustomed to.

At that point, with you already “all-in” with GW2… what would you do? Would you honestly let the game flounder and eventually fail out of the principle of the thing?

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Personally, I saw a company try to redefine the MMO genre, change the way people play MMOs… and that larger market pretty much rejected the concept whole cloth… like it had done for EVERY challenge to the way they had grown accustomed to.

At that point, with you already “all-in” with GW2… what would you do? Would you honestly let the game flounder and eventually fail out of the principle of the thing?

They got greedy when they had great sales upon launch and gave up on all the changes in order to keep everyone who bought the game. What they could have done was accept that those who bought the game looking for grind would quit but work to keep their target audience.

We end up with something that was developed as one game but supported after launch as another. That’s a large part of why GW2 has been a disaster.

chemiclord.3978

What they could have done was accept that those who bought the game looking for grind would quit but work to keep their target audience.

That wasn’t an option. That group wasn’t large enough to support the game on their own.

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

You mean that they tried to do this and failed? Because when it was just exotics being the best you could buy there really was no grind for stats.

As for the pvp it’s boring and always will be.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

What they could have done was accept that those who bought the game looking for grind would quit but work to keep their target audience.

That wasn’t an option. That group wasn’t large enough to support the game on their own.

I’d take on faith the contention that “that group” would not have generated maximum profit. I’ll need a citation to accept the contention that “that group wasn’t large enough to support the game on their own.” Take your time, and good luck finding one.

rjnemer.7816

They sold out to a larger audience? Sure. I agree.

Should they have? That’s the big question. Did they HAVE to “go big?” Would NCSoft have allowed them to remain in the niche they carved for themselves? Who made that call and why?

No i agree. Though they didnt re-define the way people play mmo’s. Thats just a load of bs.

Obsidian.1328

Here’s a very interesting take on MMO viability in the current market. The author cites 5 top reasons why SWTOR didn’t pan out like it was supposed to:

• A beloved brand can only carry you so far
  • The development costs are too darn high
  • To beat the best, you have to do more than copy
  • Don’t rely on an aging model
  • What fans want is not necessarily what you think they need

Personally, I’d say GW2 is a mixed bag if you judge it by the above criteria. Comments?

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

So I played Guild Wars 1 today…helping a guildie through factions. It’s still a great game. But it also lacks many things that would have made it a much better game. Trading post, the ability to remotely deposit collectibles, the ability to jump, even the ability to go off road. These are things that really held Guild Wars 1 back.

But there are other things that held it back, things that people loved about it. The sheer number of skills and possible builds were great for some types of players but anathema to others. Many people couldn’t handle it. There were so many players running around with terrible builds. It’s almost impossible to do that, when your weapons are linked to your skills. It was a change made to stop people from not enjoying the game, because they weren’t into making builds, or researching them.

By the same token, Guild Wars 1 was literally impossible to balance because not only second professions, but the ability of anyone to change their second profession pretty much at will. This was a problem that couldn’t be brought into Guild Wars 2, for pretty obvious reasons.

Guild Wars 1 never hit the main stream. People have still never heard of it. Popularity-wise it’s no World of Warcraft. Frankly, I think it’s better, but I acknowledge that it had a relatively narrow appeal as far as the overall percentage of gamers taking it up.

Anet made changes to the format so that people who didn’t build could just pick up a weapon and go kill stuff. Some people see this as bad, but I see it as good, even though I loved making builds. It expands the number of people who could conceivably play. Now Anet can start adding a bit more skills and variety and play with traits. It’s a learning process.

If Guild Wars 2 had launched with the complexity of Guild Wars 1, you’d have the same player base…but for a game this big, with this kind of overhead, I strongly suspect it wouldn’t have been enough to keep the game going.

Obsidian.1328

Vayne

Then why not go for some middle ground that still favors customization, just to a lesser degree? Instead they went waaaay the other direction. No one’s doubting the complexity of GW1 and how hard it was to balance, but simply scrapping it in favor of a system that is its polar opposite isn’t exactly innovation. It’s destruction. They almost completely dismantled and rebuilt it.

Why?

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

It’s funny you say that because it’s the developers that pushed Ascended Gear down our throats. I remember the outcry when Ascended Gear was first introduced in the then new Fractals of the Mist.

That was 3 months into the game.

No one, I repeat no one in the community either asked, nor expected another tier of gear to be added to the game.

But ANt went through with it, using Ascended gear as a tool to balance the economy and incentivise people to waste more time in game on things they wouldn’t normally do.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Chess, checkers, poker, retro gaming… I can name a lot of “old” games that haven’t been “updated”, yet which are quite popular and still played.

I am not sure that comparing Chess and the like to an RPG supports your point.

GW2 is an improved GW1.

I am glad for you that you believe this to be the case.

And comparing a 1.2yo game to one with 4 times as much development is a recipe for disappointment.

I am not sure that this point can be supported since GW2 has had much more development than GW1.

If there are so many GW2 complainers, couldn’t they prove GW1 is a better by massively playing the original game?

No. It would prove nothing of the sort.

In fact, doesn’t the emptiness of the old game prove that GW2 is better for the vast majority of players?

No. It proves nothing of the sort.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

I would actually play GW1 if it had jumping and an open-world, and if it wasn’t so linear. Those are the major downsides for me.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Vayne

Then why not go for some middle ground that still favors customization, just to a lesser degree? Instead they went waaaay the other direction. No one’s doubting the complexity of GW1 and how hard it was to balance, but simply scrapping it in favor of a system that is its polar opposite isn’t exactly innovation. It’s destruction. They almost completely dismantled and rebuilt it.

Why?

Anet has always over-reacted to problems. It’s their modus operadi.

Remember how people said that Prophecies was too long and slow. So they came out with Factions which was too short and fast. They got the balance a bit more right with Nightfall came out.

MMOs aren’t born as they later become…they grow. Anet started with less options and will add more as time goes on. That means that as they add more, they have a better chance of keeping some control. Starting out with 200 skills per profession would have killed it out of the gate.

Get the central game to where you want it, then start adding skills. It’s better for the game in the long term.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

i will love gw1 always.

but nowadays i only have time for gw2 casually.
my highest world completion is 81%
i never 100% on any gw1 maps before.

sometimes i log back in so i dun lose guild leadership heheh.

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

Because gw2 was supposed to be an upgrade, not a new game entirely of questionable merit.

And it is an upgrade.
But maybe not an upgrade in the way you wanted it to be.

What would be the point in spending a massive amount of money to create a game they have already created but with nicer graphics?

If I knew GW2 would end up like this, I’d have preferred they spent that massive amount of money on building GW1 with more content and updated visuals.

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

If they released a new expansion for GW1, I would play that. I played GW1 fanatically for 5 years, so I’ve had my fill of the current content in the game.

GW2 is actually GW3. The original GW2 was the things we loved about GW1 in a persistent world, but sometime in 2008-2009 they pretty much junked everything and started over, getting rid of things like secondary professions and adding things like fixed weapon skills.

I had fun in the first 1-2 months after release exploring the GW2 world, but that was enough for that game. It has almost nothing that I loved about GW1 and that kept me playing for 5 years. I still check in from time to time to see if the declining revenue will ever get them to radically change the game’s direction like they did in 2008-2009. In the meantime I have found many of the things that I loved about GW1 in an aRPG format (admittedly not my first choice of format): Path of Exile.

woot woot, PoE is pretty nice. No GW1, but nice nonetheless. I prefer instanced areas quite a bit more than open world pve where mobs respawn behind you every few minutes.

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

So I played Guild Wars 1 today…helping a guildie through factions. It’s still a great game. But it also lacks many things that would have made it a much better game. Trading post, the ability to remotely deposit collectibles, the ability to jump, even the ability to go off road. These are things that really held Guild Wars 1 back.

But there are other things that held it back, things that people loved about it. The sheer number of skills and possible builds were great for some types of players but anathema to others. Many people couldn’t handle it. There were so many players running around with terrible builds. It’s almost impossible to do that, when your weapons are linked to your skills. It was a change made to stop people from not enjoying the game, because they weren’t into making builds, or researching them.

By the same token, Guild Wars 1 was literally impossible to balance because not only second professions, but the ability of anyone to change their second profession pretty much at will. This was a problem that couldn’t be brought into Guild Wars 2, for pretty obvious reasons.

Guild Wars 1 never hit the main stream. People have still never heard of it. Popularity-wise it’s no World of Warcraft. Frankly, I think it’s better, but I acknowledge that it had a relatively narrow appeal as far as the overall percentage of gamers taking it up.

Anet made changes to the format so that people who didn’t build could just pick up a weapon and go kill stuff. Some people see this as bad, but I see it as good, even though I loved making builds. It expands the number of people who could conceivably play. Now Anet can start adding a bit more skills and variety and play with traits. It’s a learning process.

If Guild Wars 2 had launched with the complexity of Guild Wars 1, you’d have the same player base…but for a game this big, with this kind of overhead, I strongly suspect it wouldn’t have been enough to keep the game going.

The skill system was what GW was. I mean, that’s what the game was. It was the defining feature (and one of the main reasons I think gw2 feels nothing like a gw game). I agree it was a large barrier to newer players. If I was head of gw development I would have introduced npcs to gw1 that showed what the most popular current builds were for a profession. Not many, just the top 2-3 at most. Players that had no idea what to do with their characters would have something to shoot for, while other players that wanted to build their own way could just ignore it. In any case, instead of eliminating the complexity, they should have built accessibility ramps to help more casual players along and show them what works and what doesn’t then let them loose.

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

It’s not an upgrade, it’s a sequel to one of the best selling Online RPGs Guild Wars. An upgrade is when I put a new stereo or rims on my car. A sequel is when I buy a newly designed model with the same name as the orignal, though it’s not the same car.

As far as the generic response, “If you like Guild Wars, then go play Guild Wars” goes, it’s just a derogative response that provides no solution or recommendation to the poster. It just depends what you missed from the orginal, the game play?, GvG?, Alliance Battles?, Cantha?, Social aspects? HM?, the list can go on. But unless you enjoyed GW1 for the basic PvE content, then most likely it won’t be appealing to you anymore because the interaction that was present in the past has since moved on.

If you like GW2, but are not happy with certain aspects, then provide a detailed post to the developers following their guide to providing feedback, if you don’t care for GW2, then state your reasons respectfully and move on. And if you like/love GW2, then “rock n roll”.

Good Day.

(edited by Antara.3189)

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

C’mon it’s a new game, people expecting it to be exactly like GW1 but a little better has got something wrong. Even if the name is GW->2<- It does not imply that it has anything to do with the lore and so on. Everyone loves Final Fantasy and not a single Final Fantasy from 1-12 has had the same lore and story as the other and also the mechanics is different in every game.

But in difference to people who complain about GW2 not being GW1 and can’t play GW1 since it has no more updates forgets that they sometimes can return and play the old Final Fantasy games when they feel like it and it has no updates at all!

I like GW2 more than GW1 so in my opinion GW2 is realy a wonderfull sequel and a perfect upgrade, everything is better and there is only a few things I miss from GW1 that isn’t in GW2 but it isn’t to late for it to come anyway.

@Antara.3189: Lovely post.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

(edited by EdgarMTanaka.7291)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

So GW1 wasn’t actually good enough to stand on its own then, and lost the appeal when they no longer developed new stuff for it?
Wouldn’t that suggest that the game wasn’t as superior as people want to suggest?
I mean, I can still play games that haven’t seen development for 10 years without much trouble, but apparently you guys, who want GW2 to be GW1 was better graphics, can’t play GW1 due to it not having active development.

Good grief. Yes, one can play old games. But do they? You regularly play 6-10 year old games that have had no development in that time, and which you have played for many thousands of hours? If so, you’re a rare sort. If not, then you’re making an invalid comparison. Either way, the comparison is a failure.

No game that offers little to nothing new for 6 years plus is going to hold the attention of a player-base indefinitely. If ANet stopped development on GW2 for a similar period, most of its fans would move on.

Actually there’s a lot of people who do this, and play even older games. There’s even magazines and websites entirely devoted to ‘retro’ gaming and a big market on consoles and platforms like Steam for re-releasing older games so they’re compatible with newer machines.

You even get people developing their own servers so they can keep playing games like Quake online long after the developers stopped supporting it. (I know a lot of people still play Warcraft 1 and 2 as well, but I think Blizzard might still provide official support for that.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

GW1 wouldn’t be dead if all the complainers went back to play it. If there are so many GW2 complainers, couldn’t they prove GW1 is a better by massively playing the original game?

In fact, doesn’t the emptiness of the old game prove that GW2 is better for the vast majority of players?

One morning Anet announced (now that I’m thinking about it, I’m pretty sure we first heard rumors and then Anet confirmed them) that they were giving up on GW1 because there were many things they wanted to develop but the engine was limited. So instead of doing some kitten work they decided to start back from scratch in order to bring us the same game but improved (that’s what it was supposed to be at first).

To do so, they pulled most developers from the game once EotN came out. For years there were less than 10 people in charge of GW1 and they did a pretty good job at keeping us occupied.

But the point is : we didn’t kill GW1, Anet decided to end it and basically told us “well you can play with it a while more, but once GW2 comes out, don’t expect anything more”.

In the end, the only thing linking both games is its lore (and even then, it suffered a number of retcons).

lordkrall.7241

Actually no.
They announced GW2, but they still kept developing things for GW1 long after that (All the Beyond stuff for one).

It was several years later when they decided to shut down future development, due to not enough people playing it.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Obsidian.1328

Vayne

Why?

Anet has always over-reacted to problems. It’s their modus operadi.

Remember how people said that Prophecies was too long and slow. So they came out with Factions which was too short and fast. They got the balance a bit more right with Nightfall came out.

MMOs aren’t born as they later become…they grow. Anet started with less options and will add more as time goes on. That means that as they add more, they have a better chance of keeping some control. Starting out with 200 skills per profession would have killed it out of the gate.

Get the central game to where you want it, then start adding skills. It’s better for the game in the long term.

That’s your answer? Because overreacting is just their thing? You’re being an apologist.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: Tru Reptile.6058

Tru Reptile.6058

It wasn’t the game’s fault that some people were too lazy to read a bit and think of how skills synergize with each other. But if it really was too difficult then all they had to do was copy/paste one of the existing builds. What GW2 basically tells me is that people are too stupid to think of a build on their own so the game has to choose half the skills for them.

And yet, Anet can’t even balance this game, a game that was supposed to be easier to balance than GW1, and they’re adding new skills in the meantime. Deja Vu.

I’m pretty sure more people would appreciate a game that doesn’t hold their hand…

(edited by Tru Reptile.6058)

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Actually no.
They announced GW2, but they still kept developing things for GW1 long after that (All the Beyond stuff for one).

It was several years later when they decided to shut down future development, due to not enough people playing it.

I did mention that team. They did some amazing work.
But when Anet tells its playerbase “play for now if you want, but don’t expect much” it was pretty logic for a lot of players to drift away.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Because GW1 is dead and dated. It was the most brilliant game we had for a long time. Now it’s gone, and GW2 is our only replacement (so far).

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

lordkrall.7241

I did mention that team. They did some amazing work.
But when Anet tells its playerbase “play for now if you want, but don’t expect much” it was pretty logic for a lot of players to drift away.

Which would of course suggest that the game as it was wasn’t as awesome as people here seems to claim every time they whine about GW2. If it really were that awesome, people would have kept playing it even without any new dev-work.

Just for the record I started playing GW1 a few months after Prophecies release, and still play it now and then. But that doesn’t mean I refuse to accept that there are issues with it.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

GW1 I have 9k hours
GW2 I have 1.5k hours

If GW1 was active and people did runs like DoA, FoW, UW etc then I would do it. As it stands right now I login to GW2, do AC1/3 and logout. The game for me has become stagnant after 1.5k hours.
In GW1 we had expansion, new classes, skills, dungeons etc and it kept the game fresh and interesting. In GW2 it is pretty much the same content rehashed with a different paint job on it. Zerg this monster for AP, next week Zerg this new monster for AP etc.
The core gameplay in GW1 was 100% more involved and interesting than GW2. I had to think and use tactics as well as my teammates in GW1, In GW2 I either zerg or zerk. No thought, no tactics besides stacking.
GW2 gameplay reminds me of Ursan from GW1 which was pretty terribad and in the end got the ban hammer.

If I could play GW1 like it was before GW2 was released(ie larger playerbase) I 100% would.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I mean, I can still play games that haven’t seen development for 10 years without much trouble, but apparently you guys, who want GW2 to be GW1 was better graphics, can’t play GW1 due to it not having active development.

Good grief. Yes, one can play old games. But do they? You regularly play 6-10 year old games that have had no development in that time, and which you have played for many thousands of hours? If so, you’re a rare sort. If not, then you’re making an invalid comparison. Either way, the comparison is a failure.

No game that offers little to nothing new for 6 years plus is going to hold the attention of a player-base indefinitely. If ANet stopped development on GW2 for a similar period, most of its fans would move on.

Actually there’s a lot of people who do this, and play even older games. There’s even magazines and websites entirely devoted to ‘retro’ gaming and a big market on consoles and platforms like Steam for re-releasing older games so they’re compatible with newer machines.

You even get people developing their own servers so they can keep playing games like Quake online long after the developers stopped supporting it. (I know a lot of people still play Warcraft 1 and 2 as well, but I think Blizzard might still provide official support for that.)

How many of those retro games are RPG’s or MMO’s?

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

I think the overall gist of this conversation is that a lot of us who very fondly remember GW1 with all it’s wonderful aspects and its problems realize that GW2 is a completely different game. We’re not looking to “remake” GW1.

In the end, GW2 will be GW2. Like it or hate it, the game is its own, and there’s nothing else out there like it. Just as there’s nothing else out there like GW1, WoW, DAOC, Conan, Rift, FF(whatever) or any other game. Every game is unique, even though they may “borrow” from other games (yes, I know some “borrow” a LOT.)

I reiterate: There’s a lot in GW1 that I think would be cool if they added to GW2, but I like GW2 better. If there comes a point in which I am no longer having fun, then I will go on to something else. Not only that, I am sure I would find things from GW2 (and 1) that I would like to see in whatever new game that I play.

It’s human nature. Look at all the threads in this forum about "I wish you did (X) like they did in (insert game here.) I would bet that if you looked in the forums of any game, you will find the same kinds of threads.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Because they promised GW2 would take everything we loved about GW1 and use in GW2?

This^

/thread.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Sonja Teh Trapper.7012

Sonja Teh Trapper.7012

i am hoping that there is expansion of the how vigil, order of whispers, druhmand prirory ? also i am wondering about gwen is doing or how the ebonhawk expanded in lore! will see in 2014! i am still enjoy gw1 as i do gw2! loads of good stuff will be coming out in 3 weeks time :P. anet keeps me surprised on every patch of new recipes and skins

lordkrall.7241

i am hoping that there is expansion of the how vigil, order of whispers, druhmand prirory ? also i am wondering about gwen is doing or how the ebonhawk expanded in lore! will see in 2014! i am still enjoy gw1 as i do gw2! loads of good stuff will be coming out in 3 weeks time :P. anet keeps me surprised on every patch of new recipes and skins

Gwen is dead, and have been for over 200 years. You can however read more about the lore of Ebonhawke with the books lying around over there (there is also an achievement for reading them all within a day or something like that).

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

Reason I’m personally a bit jaded is because back in the day when they announced GW2, we were promised a new game that built on everything we loved about GW1 and made it better. Which is more or less nothing that we got, considering how many of the loved mechanics and features from the original game (and its expansions) are not present. ANet is pushing the Living Story/World instead of expansion-type larger content updates and your mileage may vary, but for me, it’s a dud.

Sure, I can go play GW1, which is the message the devs said as well – basically “We’re not remaking GW1 here”. I’m not naive, so I won’t start ranting on about the manifesto and HOW THEY BETRAYED US, but I do feel like we did not receive what we were promised. The sad thing is I really wanted to like GW2 a lot more than I do now, but ANet is not giving me a chance to. As to “why are you still here”, I still play, hoping it will eventually be more for my liking. Maybe when they get rid of Scarlet…