Game Updates: Traits

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mrrehino.6742

mrrehino.6742

i am not a fan of the new trait system. some of the quests don’t have enough people doing them. yes you can buy traits, but its so expensive to get all the traits.

Posted by: Irina.7418

Irina.7418

I created a mesmer (highly reliant on traits) shortly after the changes, and that was a pain to do on every aspect.

First is the fact that between the moment you unlock a trait, and the level 70 (more or less), you probably won’t have the traits you wanted, making levelling a horrible time because there is no difference between each level up, and unless you’re actively hunting traits, you won’t have all of them as you gain lvls.

That is if you can unlock those traits, obviously. A lot of them are tied to events that nobody ever does (I soloed nearly every boss wich unlocked a traits when i was lvl 80), or time consuming things like map completition (if your character is only a reroll, you may never complete a map). And even if you are willing to do those events, you’re still far from your goal, because those events have to happen. Unfortunately, they are random with no fixed time, meaning that you may wait a really long time in the same area to be able to play on the event. And if you miss it, too bad for you, you will only have to wait again. All of this for a trait that can either completely change the way you play, or a trait that you will never ever touch.

I ended up buying around 1/3 of the traits because it was too annoying to look for traits when you are already lvl 80. I remember when the patch came, i thought something like “Cool, at least it will make levelling more interesting”. I take back those words. Having close to no character progression when you level up and buying/unlocking traits when you’re lvl 80 is not more interesting, only a waste of time and money.

Also, the biggest difference between elite hunting in GW1 and Trait Hunting in GW2 is that in gw1, if you wanted an elite skill, you only had to go near the area, bring heroes/henchmen with you and you had your elite within 5 minutes. In gw2, even if you know where to go, there is not always the event you were looking for, making you waste a lot of time, and some event are simply impossible to solo.

Posted by: MidgeisGood.2153

MidgeisGood.2153

This was a good idea at heart but omfg did it not execute well. There was NOTHING wrong with the trait system before and the slow progression every level you got was very rewarding and made for an enjoyable experience.

The level you start to get traits is way too high (level 30?! really!?)
I just leveled an Ele to 40 recently and after FINALLY being able to use traits guess what….I can’t use any of them because they are locked. It was very frustrating but i thought “hey I might as well try and unlock the trait I want to use”. Well it required me to play WvW which I tried and cannot play due to my computers limitations and when there’s a large number of people like that it lags like crazy to the point where I have no idea what’s going on. So I can’t unlock it and I would have to spend a large sum of money AND skill points to get it from the trainer….

This has sucked so much fun out of the leveling system Anet has in place that I’m no longer interested in leveling my character until its fixed

Anet please…I beg you…fix this disaster

Posted by: Mister zeeRo.8561

Mister zeeRo.8561

I wish Anet would give us some sort of feedback about this…

Unlocking Traits is a Nightmare since April 2014
One year & 90+ pages of outcry later : NOTHING

Posted by: Anmida.4058

Anmida.4058

At this point I am strictly convinced that the reason they are not changing anything is because the CEO is against admitting administrative failure/bad decisions as it would give them bad reputation. However, I hope they reconsider and understand that nothing attracts a playerbase more than a developer that can admit “we dun goofed, tried to do something cool for you guys, but it went wrong. apologies, we’ll get to fixing it.”

A public apology and feedback from the developers made the whole playerbase of FFXIV return for the reboot of the game, and if that doesn’t tell you how much can a playerbase look past a monstrous abomination of a failure with the proper apologies, I don’t know what can.

Posted by: Asyntyche.4827

Asyntyche.4827

Bottom line is you can level to 80 with minimal traits and still do just fine.

Except it’s boring as hell. Point of leveling up is to get cool stuff like skills/traits and you got that feeling with the old trait system starting from level 11. Now you don’t even start getting traits until 30 and you have to level up 6 times before another trait point comes your way. Feels way too slow.

I mentioned it before, and other people recognize it, too. Between 20 and 60, half the game, progression feels dead. Sure, you get elite skills and a single trait point at 30, but they’re meaningless in most cases. A minor trait and a long-cooldown, short effect ability? Pft. And then it’s nothing but a long weight. By 30, you have all the utility skills you actually want, so each level after 30 just feels painful.

Not that I’m a big proponent of the 1-point-every-level thing (that is so old-school WoW), but as it is, after the 20-30 stretch, this is what we have to look forward to:

Trait point (which may not even have an actual trait) every 6 levels.
Gear upgrade (catch as catch can) every 5 to 10 levels.
A dungeon unlock every 10 levels.
. . .And that’s about it.

And to top it off, I hit 48 last night in my ranger experiment. I didn’t have a Power trait opened, but that’s where I’m headed with the build. It was really …disappointing. The thing I was supposed to get anticipation out of was completely useless. And I’m still not done with Lornar’s Pass, which is what my friend needs for his trait.

It made me actually sit down and think “Is this game even fun anymore?”

I’m in the same boat. To me the new trait system just completely dominates the way I have to level. Want trait III in line 1? Oh, you better plan on leveling in Gendarren then. Before I create a character I pretty much can plan out every single part of the leveling process now in order to at least get a few useful traits on the way to 80. It takes the fun out of leveling

Compared to my previous character where it felt like a more significant choice where I would explore zones at my leisure and jump between zones when I felt like it. Not to mention that I could spend a couple levels trying out a different build, then switch again whenever I felt like it.

Posted by: Lheimroo.2947

Lheimroo.2947

Compared to my previous character where it felt like a more significant choice where I would explore zones at my leisure and jump between zones when I felt like it. Not to mention that I could spend a couple levels trying out a different build, then switch again whenever I felt like it.

That’s what bugs me the most. I like just fiddling around doing whatever comes to mind as I level. I could’ve handled a scavenger hunt for traits through the world, but a scavenger hunt is relaxing – this system? Hours of effort required to get single traits. You could level to 80 just zone-clearing and getting about six traits total; that’s not relaxing and it’s certainly not something I want to feel like I’m being pushed to do by the devs.

And I also liked to fiddle with traits as I leveled. To me that’s how you learn a character – by experimentation, by play, by trying different setups. And that’s fun! But it’s impossible now – you either lock in to a specific carefully planned build, or you pay to experiment. It’s a surefire way for people to arrive at 80 with near complete ignorance of their characters except for how to play one specific spec.

So I’m not leveling alts that aren’t grandfathered in, not just because it’s less fun but because I feel like that would put some statistic on a chart that some Anet dev could point to as ‘success’.

Matter of fact, I’m not doing much at all to ‘support’ this game at the moment. I’ve handled everything else questionable, but.. ah, lordie. The straw that breaks the camel’s back.

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

The new trait system is the only reason stopping me from making a new character. To bad my account didn’t grandfathered in…

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

Posted by: The Angry Quilt.8054

The Angry Quilt.8054

I recently made a new character (a charr warrior), and had been enjoying the experience of starting fresh, progressing through personal story lines I hadn’t seen before, participating in low-level zone events I hadn’t played for ages, and anticipating the builds I would use along the way to level 80. However, when I reached level 35 and unlocked selectable traits, it didn’t take long for my enjoyment to wither away.

I went for the the first trait I knew I could access off the bat, Death From Above, which reduces fall damage. This required completing the Obsidian Sanctum WvW jumping puzzle, which took an increasingly frustrating twenty-odd minutes of my time that included dying from fall damage that the trait I was after would have prevented.

When I looked more closely at what sort of hoops I’d have to jump through, even for the lowest tier of traits (such as completely clearing Blazeridge Steppes, a level 40-50 zone, to unlock Dual-Wielding), it killed my enthusiasm to keep playing. The zone completion reward is something that has, until now, been strictly a bonus to me. I’ll fully clear a zone if I like spending time in it, or just really want the rewards (like Orr). However, I won’t do it all in one go, much preferring to travel between zones while adventuring instead of grinding through all the content in one area.

Gating basic traits behind map completion or rare events changes things. Instead of feeling rewarded for vanquishing a zone on my own time, or being pleasantly surprised by a spontaneous group attempting the font of Rhand, I feel pressured to slog through areas or camp at event locations well past the point of it being fun, just to have a certain trait or build available for my character. I can’t stress enough that feeling forced into these arbitrary tasks to unlock core class abilities is an unenjoyable experience. The (collectively) high gold and skill point costs to bypass these tasks only add to my frustration. It doesn’t feel like a reasonable alternative, it feels like a tax on my free time.

Ultimately, these changes just aren’t fun, and the current implementation of acquiring traits has soured me on the experience of progressing through the game with a new character.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

it’s to late to completely remove traits …

Yes, and thank God for that. I don’t need some new system similar to a game I never played. The original way GW2 traits worked was great. The only thing I like about this new system is the ease of changing the trait build. I would even be happy if they charged for that service, if they needed a way to make money, just as long as they put the old system back. I would also be OK with trait unlocks if the tasks were more appropriate for the trait level and/or were from a pool of tasks.

wait, so you don’t want something that you don’t even know anything about…….i really can’t take you serious right now.
i play GW1 for +9 years, i know exactly how this new system would work.
you on the other hand have absolutely no say in the matter because you don’t even know what you’re talking about, the worst part is that you rather want it even worse then what it already is.

gather facts before posting like that, you can’t expect to be taken serious with such a baseless post.

(edited by sorudo.9054)

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

The new trait system is the only reason stopping me from making a new character. To bad my account didn’t grandfathered in…

Oh, accounts didn’t get grandfathered in. If I make a new character on my account, I’ll have to unlock all the traits, too. It’s only characters that were created before April 15th that were grandfathered in. So it’s keeping me from creating new characters, too.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Illysharia.7286

Illysharia.7286

At this point I am strictly convinced that the reason they are not changing anything is because the CEO is against admitting administrative failure/bad decisions as it would give them bad reputation. However, I hope they reconsider and understand that nothing attracts a playerbase more than a developer that can admit “we dun goofed, tried to do something cool for you guys, but it went wrong. apologies, we’ll get to fixing it.”

A public apology and feedback from the developers made the whole playerbase of FFXIV return for the reboot of the game, and if that doesn’t tell you how much can a playerbase look past a monstrous abomination of a failure with the proper apologies, I don’t know what can.

The Trait system in itself is an abysmal clusterfudge.

What compounds the issue is the staggering level of mismanagement. I’ve been around the block and I’ve seen some pretty spectacular PR screw-ups, but how Chris Whiteside has handled this utterly dwarfs anything I’ve seen in recent history. This approaches the level of SWG’s NGE, and I think everyone knows how that panned out.

We’re working on 5 months now of this clownshow. I mean, who in their right mind treats the people that keep their business running like that? The only reason why they are still in business is because they rely on their customers, the players, to keep them afloat. I guess the numbers haven’t dropped enough for them to take this seriously.

While they keep their beady eyes on their financial charts, they aren’t keeping track of their word-of-mouth reputation. Frankly, it’s not that great right now. I’m very active on a popular gaming forum, and I’ve talked about this Trait issue at some length over there. I also make sure to link to this thread. So, while Chris may feel like ignoring the issue, he’s absolutely the source of why it is festering and driving people away.

Reputation is a really hard thing to fix. Some people just need to learn the hard way.

Posted by: Brtiva.9721

Brtiva.9721

Dislike it; stopped making alts. Tedious and anti-fun for me.

And…this is supposed to make it easier for new players to understand the trait system? I never had any trouble understanding the old system, personally. This seems to only make it worse.

And…adds build diversity? It does absolutely the opposite.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

I’ve started a new character, my first in a long while, and this new traits system is just a big obstacle to everything I want to do. I’ve got a whole 3 traits unlocked by level 50 doing normal leveling, going through the story, fully completing maps, running events. It’s the very minimum number of traits and forces me into specific builds.

So I’m not experimenting with builds as I’d like to do. I’m not experimenting with skills and traits as I’d like to do. Stumping up a whole load of coins and skills to get traits is annoying. Going round the world to unlock traits is annoying. For a new player it may seem ok but for experienced players who looked forward to playing with traits (you know, this is meant to be a game to play with for fun) this trait system is just a big step backwards.

Posted by: Daggos Skelito.2910

Daggos Skelito.2910

Dislike it; stopped making alts. Tedious and anti-fun for me.

And…this is supposed to make it easier for new players to understand the trait system? I never had any trouble understanding the old system, personally. This seems to only make it worse.

And…adds build diversity? It does absolutely the opposite.

^ This!
From what I’m hearing, alot have stopped making alts. Doesn’t this hurt the companies bottom line??

Posted by: raahk.2786

raahk.2786

Have the main points been covered in the thread? How the changes alienate new players from playing and make leveling even less fun of an experience since you have less to work with?
It’s not as if this game was limited enough with it’s preset skills, jeez. I can’t recommend the game to any of my friends that have asked about it simply because I know they’d quit before they even hit 80.

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

you on the other hand have absolutely no say in the matter because you don’t even know what you’re talking about

I do know what I am talking about – GW2. In fact this whole thread is about the new GW2 trait system.

What I don’t understand is players who are so in love with different games they keep trying to make GW 2 like those games (I’m talking about GW1, WOW, etc). If you like those games so much just go play them and let us GW2 players worry about GW 2.

Posted by: VOLTCIEAGE.3029

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

lol people are still crying about trait system . my gf was leveling her first char not so long ago and yes new trait system is great , she had motivation to unlock,do,go to places which she would skip for 99% . problem is with all crap chars from eotm but anyway if it is your alt go buy traits from vendor and dont cry . THIS SYSTEM WORKS GREAT FOR FIRST CHAR

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

lol people are still crying about trait system . my gf was leveling her first char not so long ago and yes new trait system is great , she had motivation to unlock,do,go to places which she would skip for 99% . problem is with all crap chars from eotm but anyway if it is your alt go buy traits from vendor and dont cry . THIS SYSTEM WORKS GREAT FOR FIRST CHAR

Well for someone who is playing after Apr 15th not knowing how the previous was perfectly fine (save the free trait reset), of course.
It’s also funny that you talk about someone else’s experience rather than put out your own.

Devona’s Rest

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

Well for someone who is playing after Apr 15th not knowing how the previous was perfectly fine (save the free trait reset), of course.
It’s also funny that you talk about someone else’s experience rather than put out your own.

I play this game since beta . I have 4 char on 80 and in bank I have 5 scrolls(20lvl),300 tomes ( 1 lvl) and really ! I dont cry about traits and it was nice to see my gf lvling and it really works for new comers .

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Warband Wednesday update.
Still not out of Lornar’s Pass, to get my friend’s trait. Closing in on 100% completion, though. Still think any 100% completion is a bad idea. Still waiting for level 60 to actually have something resembling a build, and still bored of it.

Though, accidentally running into the dwarven artifact event thread proved fruitful. Got event credit for dailies, champ kill, and a trait skill I wasn’t planning on. Serendipitous. Using that one for now, since my other trait lines are empty and sad.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Lheimroo.2947

I play this game since beta . I have 4 char on 80 and in bank I have 5 scrolls(20lvl),300 tomes ( 1 lvl) and really ! I dont cry about traits and it was nice to see my gf lvling and it really works for new comers .

So you’re insulated behind a barrier of accumulated gold and skill points, and you think it’s fine. Sure, of course.

Posted by: Daggos Skelito.2910

Daggos Skelito.2910

So with your bank and knowledge of the game, did you help her in anyway?? Anyway you look at it, this new system is sub par to the old.

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

i only gave her gold after she reached 80 to let her buy full exotic set and i was helping her to level but didnt push her to do that or that , i was just following her buffing and healing with my guard . and she just liked that idea of trait hunt , there was extra challenge for her she had to visit places,kill bosses which she had no idea that exists probably she wont like it on next char but during lvling first mesmer she really enjoyed that .

Lheimroo.2947

Mm, so you helped her with the fights.

Look, I’m not trying to dismiss your opinion, but that’s more meaningful help than you might realize – content, especially challenging stuff, is tons more fun with a leveling partner, especially a downranked 80. You can duo things that would be super frustrating to try to solo.

Even with your assistance, though, she apparently ended up max level poor enough not to be able to afford gear by herself – and how many traits, exactly, did she have unlocked – and how many still to go?

How many zone completions did you go through for the sake of getting traits before you hit 80?

Look at it from this perspective. Go level a character solo and don’t touch your gold or your skill point hoard – try to find groups out on the map for that maze puzzle in Ashford. Spend three hours mostly alone in lornar’s pass for a single trait. It’s a vastly different experience.

Anmida.4058

And I have 4900 hours clocked, 14 level 80 characters and play since the first beta. What’s your point? “Because we already got to play once it’s not applicable for us to complain”? I have 100% map completion on four characters. I enjoy making alternate characters and leveling them. I don’t want to push them forward to 80 because it’s a burden to go through the initial stages. Which it is.

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

I just want to say that for new comers unlocking traits is great fun, few extra hours before endgame but people who already has main char and know how to play ,can level really fast (eotm,scrolls,pvp) ,they can also unlock all traits with gold .

Posted by: PaulaG.2365

PaulaG.2365

I just want to say that for new comers unlocking traits is great fun, few extra hours before endgame but people who already has main char and know how to play ,can level really fast (eotm,scrolls,pvp) ,they can also unlock all traits with gold .

Well you certainly are not speaking for this new player thanks! I’ve leveled to 31 and ground to a halt, looking at what I need to do to unlock all my traits, or even useful ones is daunting. I don’t have gold or the points to use to unlock them at the trainer, so at the moment my character is just sitting there not going anywhere.

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

lol just keep leveling , come back to traits when you are 80. Any party wont take you for dung . go for hearths and story, there is no need for traits.

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Well you certainly are not speaking for this new player thanks! I’ve leveled to 31 and ground to a halt, looking at what I need to do to unlock all my traits, or even useful ones is daunting. I don’t have gold or the points to use to unlock them at the trainer, so at the moment my character is just sitting there not going anywhere.

I’m unsure of where you are stuck at this point for the new system being that I leveled my main really close to release… But I have to say the economy is a lot more inflated than what I was leveling, having a gold to spare pre 40 is pretty kitten good.

I think the design intention is for people in your situation to WvW/Dungeon/PvP while admits your personal story. You get 1g for each AC path and unless your a ranger people will take lowbies if you just go for it. I mention it so you can get your traits faster. Granted I do not fully comprehend the situation of someone in your position but I do think it will help.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Lheimroo.2947

lol just keep leveling , come back to traits when you are 80. Any party wont take you for dung . go for hearths and story, there is no need for traits.

And there you have it. Even a proponent of the system admits that it might be better to ignore it entirely until you’re max level.

And .. it isn’t a failure, somehow, despite saying that?

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

And there you have it. Even a proponent of the system admits that it might be better to ignore it entirely until you’re max level.

failure is entire pve in this game it is easy as hell but anyway i dont care I have all traits on my guard my gf has all traits on mesmer , you can keep whining guys how cruel is this world , i dont care . geting traits or leveling is easy when you compare it to other mmos but keep complaining

Anmida.4058

Goodbye, then. Enjoy the game. We are glad you and your “gf” are having a swell time.

Lheimroo.2947

Forgive me.

I just expected my mmo gameplay to be fun. Don’t know what I was thinking – of course it has to be grindy.

Sorry. I’ll let myself out. Phew, that was weird of me.

/Bow

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

GW1: A full build contains ONE elite. That’s 5-10 minutes you spend killing a boss, can always be done solo.

GW2: A full build contains SEVEN traits to unlock. Sometimes you must be at the right place at the right time to do the event, some must have a group.

(edited by NornBearPig.9814)

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

Anet before april patch had to discuss this idea and they knew that leveling is too easy and too fast . They wont change it back beause:
-there isnt much endgame for some players and using this simple trick new players will spend more time in game so maybe they will find activity which will interest them or they will spend some gems before they leave
-they dont care, in one thread somebody posted that around 40% people dont change their traits so why they should revert so much work which was done ?!
- most people can buy traits anyway so they dont see any difference 60g pls it can be farmed in one day

Posted by: Mintyfresh.2539

Mintyfresh.2539

I’ve heard a lot of dumb things but this one takes the cake.

Traits teach you how to play, point allocation nets a lot of variety during gameplay including things such as skill augmentation, timer reduction and even ability modification(dodging creating bombs/granting swiftness etc etc.).

For you to spew garbage like “wait till 80 to get traits” essentially reflects the quality of your gameplay.

Anet, you guys are doing yourself a HUGE disservice by actually breaking a system that people enjoyed. There is no need for this to have been implemented and lack of developer thought-process and now, lack of input is making the game thoroughly tedious for some of your oldest patrons.

“Religion. It’s given people hope in a world torn apart by religion.”—Jon Stewart

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Mintyfresh, any post that starts with lol, I wouldn’t take seriously.

Wait till 80 is a reality, there are players achieving this without waiting.

(edited by Paul.4081)

Posted by: tofumon.5924

tofumon.5924

Forgive me.

I just expected my mmo gameplay to be fun. Don’t know what I was thinking – of course it has to be grindy.

Sorry. I’ll let myself out. Phew, that was weird of me.

/Bow

That’s my major problem with the new trait system. It’s not fun. Except being able to respec traits on the fly, that’s pretty cool. But earning the traits is kind of torturous.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

GW1: A full build contains ONE elite. That’s 5-10 minutes you spend killing a boss, can always be done solo.

GW2: A full build contains SEVEN traits to unlock. Sometimes you must be at the right place at the right time to do the event, some must have a group.

Except a lot of the good elites were in end game and hard to get areas, that weren’t so easy to get for a lot of players. It wasn’t so easy for people to solo Prophecies in the beginning and get Aura of the Lich from the last mission. The game was harder before heroes were introduced.

Posted by: Zygomaticus.7469

Zygomaticus.7469

this is so sad for the new players. they will have to give extra time/effort to get those skills and catch up with the old players.

and sad for the old players making alts like me! huhu

no feedback from anet still?

Would it be cool to live forever?

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

failure is entire pve in this game it is easy as hell but anyway i dont care I have all traits on my guard my gf has all traits on mesmer , you can keep whining guys how cruel is this world , i dont care . geting traits or leveling is easy when you compare it to other mmos but keep complaining

When I read this stuff I just have to think, “Why did you post in this thread anyway?” And then I wonder why we just couldn’t ignore it.

Post us a pic of your “GF” m8.

Posted by: Zygomaticus.7469

Zygomaticus.7469

Pics or no “GF”

Would it be cool to live forever?

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

Pics or no “GF”

Seriously, I helped my wife’s brother’s cousin’s girlfriend’s dog’s groomer’s therapist’s daughter’s teacher’s husband’s friend’s grandma level a Mesmer from 0-80 this morning and we had no problem getting all the traits and also 10,277 gold and a couple of precursors before we knocked off to go hang gliding.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I just want to say that for new comers unlocking traits is great fun,

Can you accurately make this claim or would it be more accurate for you to say that your girlfriend found unlocking traits to be great fun.

The difference is rather significant. You played with one person and are now attempting to portray that one individual’s subjective experience as representative of all new players.

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

I’ve done almost every task on the list before they were necessary. The difference between then and now is that back then it was the dynamic event system working well. Occasionally I would go to an area I had been to already and find something I hadn’t done before. That’s the kind of thing that Anet was hyping up about their open world experience and should be promoting and bragging about now.

The trait unlocks, on the other hand, are not this experience. These unlocks require you to go out of your way to do something that was designed to be random. This is utterly garbage game design. This is standard old-school wowclone questing trash, but with the added manure of needing specific quests that occur randomly, instead of a choice from many quests that occur when you want them.

For even more ‘fun’, the stat scaling system combined with the general lack of upgrades means that in general, when you gain a level, you get weaker.

Your trait system is bad and you should feel bad.

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

Being forced to do certain things to gain access to something that should be readily available doesn’t produce fun in any way. It punishes new players for no real purpose and ruins the great character levelling system GW2 actually had. Mind blown.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

you on the other hand have absolutely no say in the matter because you don’t even know what you’re talking about

I do know what I am talking about – GW2. In fact this whole thread is about the new GW2 trait system.

What I don’t understand is players who are so in love with different games they keep trying to make GW 2 like those games (I’m talking about GW1, WOW, etc). If you like those games so much just go play them and let us GW2 players worry about GW 2.

lol, Anet wants to make this game more like GW1 because it’s the sequel, the whole idea of the trait update was to make it closer to GW1.
indeed you don’t understand, you don’t even search for info so how can you understand when you don’t even know anything.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Additionally to all the complaints, make a template system. You had it in GW1. Before the itroduction of the free trait reset I was thinkgin: yeah, they surely will do a template saving sytem, then I though, ‘well, it’s GW2. They know how to kitten up things’. And tadaaaa. Now if I want to change my build, I have to remember my exact build.

It’s just so simple to make a template sytem… Do it!

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Asyntyche.4827

Asyntyche.4827

There’s some great suggestions in a reddit thread

Tulki and Theoclymenus’s suggestions stand out, which i’ll summarise:

• Make players able to select a specific trait unlock challenge and have a trait marker appear on the map until deselected or acquired. (like the personal waypoint marker, but use the trait logo)
  • Instead of trait challenges unlocking a specific trait, allow them to grant a ‘trait tome’ or similar item that allows the player to choose a trait from the appropriate tier to unlock

I really like the second suggestion by Theoclymenus, it would achieve the goal of encouraging mixed play and world exploration, whilst also allowing more build personalisation while leveling.