Gates of Arah the New Lyssa

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MattyjRulz.2840

MattyjRulz.2840

Sure I’m a casual player and I’ve participated in these giant farms, hell it’s good loot, and without it I probably wouldn’t have bothered finishing my legendary anytime soon because t6 mats are so ridiculous to obtain these days, however asking people who want to run the dungeons to guest isn’t as evil as some of you may think!

Can we look over at cof? People guest for that crap all the time what’s the big fuss? Let’s not take for granted our easy access to guesting why don’t we use it?

I have recently had to guest for arah recently but it was fine, I asked my pug dungeon group if any of their servers were open, 2 were and I guested, ezpz !

As for my experience with these giant farms I’ve found a lot of abuse on both sides, I’d say it’s about even really.
If the farmers want to reset and you don’t plus a couple of others want to open arah THEN TRY, but if you guys can’t finish the event don’t blame the farmers, they wouldn’t be there if not for the farm, and the dungeon would stay closed regardless.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

Posted by: Joseph Skyrim.2470

Joseph Skyrim.2470

Whose time is more important to you?
There is your answer.

Posted by: MattyjRulz.2840

MattyjRulz.2840

Whose time is more important to you?
There is your answer.

Neither, if I want to arah I’ll first look to guest, I’m not about to ruin others enjoyment of the game, I was taught to respect others, and besides I sometimes enjoy the odd farming, killing mobs is fun in large numbers, lots of loot…
If the people who want to open arah don’t have the numbers to do so then why blame the farmers? If not for the farm the farmers wouldn’t be there, the people trying to open it would have wandered off looking for something else to do lacking the numbers to kill the giant, and arah would remain closed. The main problem is people being [EDIT] disrespectful.

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

Point Blank Period: If it’s not open and farmers are there, you have 2 choices:
1. Guest to where there is an open Gate
2. Finish the event with your group.

If you want to finish the event to open the dungeon, who cares what the farmer wants, do it if you can. Why? It’s not a temple that has 4 other options. It’s opening a dungeon. To me dungeons take priority over some lame form of farming. So do a call to arms and open the dungeon is what I would do if I or my group had the time.

Guesting is easier though as it would possibly get you in the dungeon faster. It’s up to you and your group. Lyssa I can understand. If Lyssa farm had been Balthazar though, Temple takes priority simply because of the Obby shards.

All in all, when it comes to these things, you and what you want only matters. These players holding up events can suck it if they are impeding others progress. This is not the way the game is intended to play. They find these loop holes, anet patches them.
I’m all for farming these sorts of things, but only if it is not holding up things like Dungeons or items/progress needed.

Posted by: RumStein.6859

RumStein.6859

Wait so why do people playing the game as intended need to guest? While the farmers get to free farm for hours on end?

I am on SoS and I have not seen farmers act politely at all. And if you actually bothered to look at the screenshots they don’t res the people who want to finish the event.

So people wanting to complete a event normally is wrong? You obviously have a few screws loose.

I fail to see where in my previous post I said that either group was in the wrong? Nice work with the insult.

My whole point was this question:
Why do some of the people who wish to do Arah, go to such an effort to stop the farm, when they could simply guest to a server? In fact, they are advised of an open server, but rarely ever choose to.

The answer is:
They believe that it is exploiting, and take it on themselves to shut down the so-called exploiting.

No. There are a few low pop servers where the Arah gates tend to be closed more than open and where fewer people are attempting the dungeon. Farmers should go there.

In fact, we do move to a low pop server where the gates are rarely open – Devona’s Rest. Farmers would initiate the event chain, and complete the entire thing up to the giant.

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

Farming =/= exploit.

If you want the dungeon open, just do it. Or you could be courteous and guest and leave them, but it doesn’t matter either way. They can’t stop you and there is no reason to try and stop them.

Farming IS NOT an exploit, sheesh.
O.P. just ignore them and continue what you were doing to open Arah. People like this give legit farmers like me a bad name.

Farming does not equal exploit, true. But this is farming an exploit – namely how the DE works.

EDIT: I don’t think this is an exploit deserving banning/suspension. I can understand farming – and if Smitty is being truthful about how his guild treats those who try to complete the event, good for them.

(edited by Rajani Isa.6294)

Rajani Isa.6294

yes, but that is beside the point. Stop the strawman, this here is not about exploiting or call it clever maximizing your output, but about farmers wanting to tell other people what to do. Noone can complete your CoF 1 run before you claim your reward, the analogy isnĀ“t anywhere close.

You’re the one that took this entire conversation in the direction of exploiting in the first place. I said it before and I’ll say it again, our server/guild/farmers never verbally abuse people wanting to complete the event as fast as possible. We politely ask them to join us in farming and if they choose not to we let it go. Yeah we’re kinda kitten ed off cuz we did all the pre-work and now don’t get to farm, but that’s life. 95% of the time if there’s any verbal abuse it’s coming from the other players themselves and is directed towards us.

You, sir/madame, need to look up ANETs definition of the term exploit.

I posted it about 5 posts up

You point out a section of the TOS that asks that bugs not be exploited, not a definition of an exploit.

By calling what you quoted Anet’s definition of an exploit, that would be akin to saying any state wit “click it or ticket” signs defines traffic violations solely as not wearing a seat-belt, not speeding or recklessness.

Rajani Isa.6294

Exploiters are completely innocent when it comes to any and all nerfs to loot drops. It’s all about ArenaNet’s poor decision making. The player is within his or her right to exploit anything in the game for profit and any negative consequences are only the fault of ArenaNet’s poor decisions and not the players’ for choosing to take advantage of said exploits. Is that what you’re saying? Because that’s what I’m getting from this discussion.

I’m saying that if you’re mad that the loot tables were nerfed because of exploits, its not simply because exploiters were farming the hell out of it. Its because its an exploit that shouldn’t be there that ANet wasn’t aware of. They weren’t going to keep it if no one farmed it because its still an unintentional exploit that shouldn’t be there. I’m not hating on ANet or praising exploiters here, I’m saying that because people were exploiting it was not the reason it was removed, it was removed because it wasn’t supposed to be there.

But if it had not been exploited it might of been removed in a reasoned/less hasty fashion. Instead a large number of people jumped on it, making it’s removal a high priority.

Rajani Isa.6294

I remember he aetherblade cache in Vexa’s lab. I wanted to run the puzzle, but got asked not to because people were farming the cache and didn’t want to be kicked from the puzzle when it reset. So I sat down and farmed the cache with them. But once I got my 50 kills I went ahead and finished the puzzle.

I just said bah – but it only happened to me twice. Once right after I got to the cache. Didn’t get the warning, and so didn’t log out in time.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Just do it anyways. Sadly you can’t fix a community that tries to exploit everything.

While i agree with you and the op i blame the company, this wouldn’t be happening if they hadn’t nerfed the game to such an extent that people are doing this now, those players aren’t technically exploiting they just have no where else to get anything drop anymore.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

So any other servers that are doing this? Looking to get my farm on.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

So any other servers that are doing this? Looking to get my farm on.

I would like to know as well, the only time there is anyone in Orr on NSP is during the temple zerg and no farming gets done there.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: DevorianDevil.6037

DevorianDevil.6037

Would love to try it out as well since i been bored since all the cursed shore farms, the 2 week achievement grinds because of the living story has gotten me more bored then if i would of farmed cursed shore 24/7.

So if anyway on european servers does this kind of farming, let me know in pm

Posted by: Mustafa.7684

Mustafa.7684

same here… if we are able to create specific servers that hold these farms would help. Those that want to do arah can do guest on other servers.

And please no b.s about how I want to do on my server cuz its mine or how its not a speed clear so I dont have to guest. arah is by far one of the least played dungeons.

also if anet provide a better time vs reward scheme we wouldnt have this problem!

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

same here… if we are able to create specific servers that hold these farms would help. Those that want to do arah can do guest on other servers.

And please no b.s about how I want to do on my server cuz its mine or how its not a speed clear so I dont have to guest. arah is by far one of the least played dungeons.

also if anet provide a better time vs reward scheme we wouldnt have this problem!

The problem exists because of farmers. Wrap that bit of logic around your head.

I don’t care what your intentions are. People who want to play the game the way it was designed will always take precedent over people who are intentionally abusing game mechanics to create an artificial farming spot.

If you’re wanting to farm that even and some one wants to finish it you’re just gonna have to tip your hat and move on.

Don’t stay to help them finish it, that’s your prerogative. But you by no means have the right to tell others to go else where. It doesn’t matter how popular the dungeon is or what server you are on.

Just about 100% guarantee that this event chain will be changed in some way in the near future.

Vol.5241

As of this post, the farm is available on YAKS BEND

edit: Nvm, patch coming within an hour and no one here to farm with ;|

[Permabanned on Forums]

(edited by Vol.5241)

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Farming =/= exploit.

If you want the dungeon open, just do it. Or you could be courteous and guest and leave them, but it doesn’t matter either way. They can’t stop you and there is no reason to try and stop them.

Farming IS NOT an exploit, sheesh.
O.P. just ignore them and continue what you were doing to open Arah. People like this give legit farmers like me a bad name.

I’ve never really understood the anti-farming mentality in the game, but I believe it may come solely from “farmers” who want to game the game rather than playing the game. Farming itself is just goal-directed play, i.e., playing the game.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

You can always guest if you want to do arah dungeon.

But if you want to do the “arah event” for fun or the grand chest, you might have to fight the farmers for it. Since the event is not always up or there isn’t always people on other server.

Posted by: Evil Seabass.5214

Evil Seabass.5214

Today’s patch put an end to this issue

Moral of the story: Farming is fine, but dont be a jerk when someone wants to complete the event. This will make it so nobody complains on the forum…

(edited by Evil Seabass.5214)

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

Yeah, but I think it is a quite reasonable solution. They did not just remove the loot. Well done, Anet!
(Obviously they had to react to the complaints. ^^)

Posted by: Ballads.2509

Ballads.2509

Another exploit closed!

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I agree with the actions of Anet in the patch. I hope no one calls this a “farming” nerf as it just helps facilitate the intent of the event chain. And, it aids the community as there shouldn’t be a disconnect where failure is seen as the better path in experiencing the rewards of the game.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Wel, I guess that quote is one we won’t see again any time soon ;-)

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Vol.5241

Wel, I guess that quote is one we won’t see again any time soon ;-)

lol there are always places to farm. In fact there has been a spot that’s available since release.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

wow, nice and quick “hotfix.”
Now let’s see if the bugs introduced by the last patch is still there.

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: Mustafa.7684

Mustafa.7684

I don’t care what your intentions are. People who want to play the game the way it was designed will always take precedent over people who are intentionally abusing game mechanics to create an artificial farming spot.

If you’re wanting to farm that even and some one wants to finish it you’re just gonna have to tip your hat and move on.

Don’t stay to help them finish it, that’s your prerogative. But you by no means have the right to tell others to go else where. It doesn’t matter how popular the dungeon is or what server you are on. Just about 100% guarantee that this event chain will be changed in some way in the near future.

Please explain how farming is the problem cuz last time i checked this is a MMORPG. Name me another mmorpg that does not incooperate any farming in it? If you devoid the chance for players to invest their time into obtaining item you want, you would not have this problem.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Don’t stay to help them finish it, that’s your prerogative. But you by no means have the right to tell others to go else where. It doesn’t matter how popular the dungeon is or what server you are on. Just about 100% guarantee that this event chain will be changed in some way in the near future.

Please explain how farming is the problem cuz last time i checked this is a MMORPG. Name me another mmorpg that does not incooperate any farming in it? If you devoid the chance for players to invest their time into obtaining item you want, you would not have this problem.

Farmers like you who try to farm events that require the abuse of game mechanics to create the farm.

The problem you are creating is going directly against the intended design of the game. And no one can deny that and you know it. Which is why it got fixed.

I can’t say I blame people farming because of the massive amounts of materials we have to get for certain things in game. But I can blame them for trying to game the system, that’s good for no one and gets things needlessly nerfed.

I wouldn’t even call what you guys were doing as farming, honestly. It’s an abuse of game mechanics pure and simple. And if anet really wanted to be kittens about it they could ban people over it especially when there is precedent for them perm banning people for less.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

edit: Nvm, patch coming within an hour and no one here to farm with ;|

and winner of best post in this thread goes to….

…Honestly I don’t know how people thought this would go unpatched. It was literally “blocking progress” for other players and not just some random Daily or D.E. but a final conclusion World Event and possibly the dungeon itself.

Imagine if the same thing happened in Fireheart rise and no one could enter COF b/c of it? The nerdrage here would be over 9000…

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

Farming =/= exploit.

Or they could guest on a server. They don’t own a zone. They have no business telling people to not play their game cause they want to farm.

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

I am on one of the servers that farms this event (or attempts to) and in the guild that is usually responsible for starting it. I realize that for a lot of people it seems unfair that we ask them not to kill the giant, which in turn delays the opening of the Arah dungeon, but you need to take a minute to look at it from our perspective as well.

We’re a huge PvE guild that focuses on group activities. We were a large part of the other significant farm locations (Union, etc). Time and time again we’ve seen every viable farm location nerfed into the ground, leaving only CoF and CoE as steady sources of gold farming. And really, who wants to run one of those dungeons for the thousandth time?

So what do we do? We look for events such as this one that have high amounts of mobs to kill which drop good loot (bags, t6, rares, etc). When we find one we get our entire guild together, run the event through its pre-event chain, and start farming.

Unfortunately this event shows up on the gw2stuff world boss list for the High Wizard. So what happens is our guild puts a good hour into the pre events to start the farming, then as soon as it appears on the site tons of randoms show up to get their daily loot chest. They start auto attacking the giant and we kindly ask them to stop and farm with us for awhile or simply hop to another server if they’re looking to do Arah. But no, they instead tell us to kitten off and continue killing the giant.

So it goes both ways. We realize that this event more than likely isn’t meant to be farmed and that people want to complete it. But at the same time we’re the ones putting all the work into setting it up for us and others who want to farm. The giant will die in time from the NPCs attacking it, stray AOEs, and so on. Just give us our hour or two of farming before that happens

Yeah. They don’t want to farm CoE or CoF for the thousandth time. So they want to do Arah. Silly kittening them. Or you could take yourselves to some guest server and not lock up a dungeon for everyone else.