Gold Transfer Changes - My story and impact

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

For the record, I also think ectos will make a comeback as high-value currency (as I noted in a previous post). Truthfully, I don’t especially mind. I remember how it worked – and pretty well, all things considered, too – in GW1, and I occasionally made use of ectos as currency in that game too. In fact, ectos are actually easier to get in GW2, providing you’re willing to salvage rares. (I suspect some people would prefer to use dark matter globs since those are a lot rarer, but they’re account-bound, so that’s out.)

Yeah, I wouldn’t be too surprised if it does happen. And I don’t think it’s really a bad thing to happen, either. I don’t know if ectos will be the item of choice, but something will take its place if it’s not.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Just gonna stop all the people aiming at the legendary selling that profits “only me” => it’s also cheaper for the buyer.

I realize a lot of people are jsut salty because they feel poor. That’s sad. I always tried to help people and gave great tips but whatever, all you can see is the fact that I complain legitimately about my gold not moving as fast as before, but as always, if it doesn’t affect YOU, you don’t care.

I just hope that less precursors being traded cheap will make people want to list higher to recoup for listing costs. Now that was me being salty

Thread is pretty much over. None of you brought any arguments in, you’re basically coming to say you’re happy that it’s happening when it benefits none of ya.

I bought my precursor off the trading post. I don’t mind the gold sink. And also the only way to circumvent the trade post fee is to trade directly with people, where other people can trick you and scam you. And then Anet won’t do anything about it, because direct trading is not encouraged.

And how would that make people want to list higher? Those that already list are listing at what they’re listing. They’re not going to re-list. Those not listing, can list for whatever they want, but the truth is, the cheapest one is going to go first. Would you really want to wait for half a year or perhaps never until that cheapest one becomes yours (remember precursor crafting with HoT).

I’m sorry that you feel bummed, because an anti-theft system (that’s in place in real life too by the way), limits how much you can earn and spend, however I don’t think that an anti-theft system should be changed or removed, just because it inconveniences some people.

Posted by: Enaretos.8079

Enaretos.8079

Just gonna counter the inflation argument lovers.

We’re talking about less than 0.02% of the playerbase trading outside of TP. That’s nothing. It’s annoying for them and other people doing what you guys call legitimate stuff (guild raffles, giveaways, etc…). Gold sellers will find other ways and close to nothing will change. We’ll get the same spam by them, people wil lstill have their accoutns hacked. You guys fail to see the greater picture…

Snow Crows member since January 2014
My Twitch

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Just gonna counter the inflation argument lovers.

We’re talking about less than 0.02% of the playerbase trading outside of TP. That’s nothing. It’s annoying for them and other people doing what you guys call legitimate stuff (guild raffles, giveaways, etc…). Gold sellers will find other ways and close to nothing will change. We’ll get the same spam by them, people wil lstill have their accoutns hacked. You guys fail to see the greater picture…

Do we? I think you’re looking at it in the same way most everyone else is: how it affects you. So, I wouldn’t say you’re looking at the greater picture here, either. You’re looking at how it’s going to change your personal transactions. I’m looking at how it’s not going to affect me (or my guild) at all.

Mirta.5029

We’re talking about less than 0.02% of the playerbase trading outside of TP.

then what was the point of this spiteful comment?

I just hope that less precursors being traded cheap will make people want to list higher to recoup for listing costs.

guild raffles, giveaways, etc…

I do those too, you know. But never have given away 500 raw gold in a week. Give away materials, gem cards, gemstore items, dyes, etc and then do give aways of smaller amounts of gold. Or send it over the course of the upcomming month.

We’ll get the same spam by them, people wil lstill have their accoutns hacked. You guys fail to see the greater picture…

there’s no permanent solution to gold sellers, nor to real life thefts. Should we stop trying just because of that? That’s akin to saying “why is this city spending money to pay the police? It’s quite pointless anyway” or “why does this bank have a withdrawal limit?”
It will stop hackers from hacking rich accounts like yours and just sending off all the gold. Sure you can contact support, but no guarantee that they’ll trace the gold back or give it back to you. Now at maximum they can steal 500 gold if that does happen. This update protects people like you. Why are you against it?

Enaretos.8079

@Mirta the 0.02% was to show that what these players did didn’t impact you at all. I get arguments from people saying they are for this measure but :
- it doesn’t benefit them
- it actually harms others
- it won’t annoy gold sellers for long
How in the world can somebody be supporting it lmao !?

And no it’s not akin to real life issues. This is all a game and freedom is being restrained. But well whatever. I’ll just give less stuff, won’t rid people of their precursors they are too afraid to list and won’t give 500g discounts on leggies I could sell on the TP :/ Cuz there is no solution. With the current mail limit my account would just be disabled in a months time at the rate I do my stuff.

My Twitch

Mirta.5029

@Mirta the 0.02% was to show that what these players did didn’t impact you at all. I get arguments from people saying they are for this measure but :
- it doesn’t benefit them
- it actually harms others
- it won’t annoy gold sellers for long
How in the world can somebody be supporting it lmao !?

And no it’s not akin to real life issues. This is all a game and freedom is being restrained. But well whatever. I’ll just give less stuff, won’t rid people of their precursors they are too afraid to list and won’t give 500g discounts on leggies I could sell on the TP :/ Cuz there is no solution. With the current mail limit my account would just be disabled in a months time at the rate I do my stuff.

disabled? You’ll simply get a warning “limit has been reached”. You can still do long time arrangements like normal, except that players will pay you over a month, rather than all in one go.
It will annoy gold sellers and prevent hackers from trafficking all of the gold off your account. Worth the inconvenience if you ask me. The same as Rift has a rule – you can’t sell on the trade post, unless you buy at least some gems at some point (or buy PLEX with platinum). Sure it inconveniences regular players, but also prevents bots from manipulating the economy.

Enaretos.8079

After 10 mails containing gold if I reached the limit I’m pretty much done. No more mails coming in :’(

My Twitch

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I wish I had the problem of so many people sending me so much gold that I’d actually reach and exceed the limit of 500g a week. Sounds like a great problem to have.

Enaretos.8079

It’s all about raffles, tournaments, trading, etc…

My Twitch

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

It’s all about raffles, tournaments, trading, etc…

And i dont know why you think you are entitled to circumvent the gold sink of the tp taxes, if everybody else is not.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

Then, as I read the topic and people’s answers, the first thing that surprised me was the amount of people that think 500g is an enormous amount of gold. I’m very spoiled as I’m a PvE player (dungeon runner) and I also play the TP when my boredom reaches the next level, but yeah to me 500g is what everyone makes on a weekly basis.

. . . .

I’m a pvp’er…and a poor one at that.
turns on sarah mclachlan song

Wont you help a starving mesmer in need
1 easy payment of 200g and you can provide 1 mesmer with fresh water and a tome of knowledge.

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Enaretos.8079

Everyone could do it pretty much with a bit of research. But the risk involved scared people off. I don’t see it any other way.

My Twitch

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Just dropping by to say that trading legendaries doesn’t create inflation, no gold is created in the process.

But it avoids deflation of gold by circumventing the intended gold sink of the trading post, if traded by mail.

True, was just poiting out some quick assumptions.

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I understand and appreciate the idea that players like the OP feel that functionality they “had” is being “taken away,” Nobody likes that experience in a game. However, I have a hard time seeing players who regularly gain and move such amounts of gold in a short time being anything more than an extreme minority. This is not the first (nor will it likely be the last) time that ANet has changed some aspect of the game to address issues that they believe impact the health of the game. It’s likely we’ve all had to swallow changes we disliked “for the good of the game.” It certainly feels to me that I’ve had to swallow more than my share.

That said,

• I like the relative lack of gold sinks in this game, which boil down to WP’s (extremely minor) and TP charges (not so minor). Thus, I am not inclined to support attempts to circumvent the TP charges via P2P trading. Direct trading was never supported in this game by design. I am not inclined to view direct trading as a legitimate reason to revert the limits.
  • As far as guild raffles or tournaments, guild leaders could decide to use something other than gold as prizes, or limit the gold prizes to 500G or less. Instead of having one raffle a week with 1000G as a prize, run 2 with 500G as prizes, etc.. If the same person wins both raffles, then he waits a week for his second prize. Players are endlessly inventive and will figure out ways around the limits for prizes.

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Ah kitten , no more raffles, no more Twitch giveaways, no more precursor giveaways. This makes me sad

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

So, I didn’t read anywhere that said it would impact anything other than how much gold your wallet could accept in a given week. Easy solution: Invite people to your banker guild. People deposit sums greater than 500g into your guild bank.

You still won’t be able to pick it up right away, but you can at least still have some transactions going on. Or pick a different currency. T6 mats. Ectos. Karka shells. The amount you get from the trading post isn’t going to be limited.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Mirta.5029

Ah kitten , no more raffles, no more Twitch giveaways, no more precursor giveaways. This makes me sad

how would it impact precursor giveaways? Were you supposed to pay for that precursor that you were given?

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

maybe get a few extra accounts? are they still 75% off? if you had 5 accounts, you could send someone 2500g. it would take them 5 weeks to receive their raffle prize, but I’m sure they would be ok with waiting. most giveaways have 6-18 week waiting anyways :P

Posted by: Nafeasonto.8925

Nafeasonto.8925

While I appreciate the options a p2p trading system would give in theory, I do not want it. I think it would result in a major rise in map spam in the form of “WTB/WTS X thing” cutting down on player interaction outside buying and selling things.

So what? This is how it used to be in EverQuest. There was nothing wrong with this. IMHO it would bring more player interaction. The only player interaction I have is people complaining about failing a Silverwastes map, or talking to guildies on TS. 99% of the pug groups join, don’t say anything. Unless you wipe. Everyone is on Auto-Pilot in this game at this point.

So I really don’t know what deep player interaction you are talking about.

Posted by: Candyroxi.6473

Candyroxi.6473

I think you should read the announcement more carefully, they said:

Each account will have a limit on how much gold can be moved from its mail in-box and Guild Vault into its wallet each week.
If you receive more gold through in-game mail than you can accept in a week, the gold will remain attached to the mail in your in-box and can be retrieved up to the limit the following week or in subsequent weeks.
For the purposes of this limit, a week begins at 12:01 AM UTC each Sunday (5:01 PM PDT/4:01 PM PST Saturday).
Gold received from the Trading Post is not subject to this limit.
The maximum amount of gold that can be sent via a single in-game mail will be 500 gold.
The maximum total amount of gold that an individual player account can accept in a week will be 500 gold.
We will monitor this system and may make changes to the limits if we find that changes are necessary.

That said, most of your activity “gifting” “guild raffle” is NOT affected, you can send out just any amount you want. They can be receive partially. Says, you want to gift a person 1000g, they just need to wait maximum 7 days at most (or even just 1 min if you send them out just before weekly reset.) And about another habit that you only actively use mailing system for a month only and idle several months later, you can always receive, says 10k gold in that month and take 2k off each month. I think its not an issue for you since you can make 600g a week, right??

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Now Chris Cleary, someone I really respect for being direct about data and doing his job kitten right gave the following figures regarding impacted players (the ones moving more than 500g/week via mail) : 0.175% out of which 98.228% would be gold sellers. Please note that this figure is extended on a month and more people could hit the weekly limit once in a month then not hitting it the rest of the month.

including those numbers pretty much torpedoes the value of your argument.

you’ve just told us that this “issue” will be a problem for 0.003% of the player base, which means that looking for a way to mitigate it is worth absolutely zero seconds of dev time.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

but yeah to me 500g is what everyone makes on a weekly basis.

Now, while this new limit is created to fight gold sellers, it could impact me and impact YOU as well. 500g is NOTHING in comparison to the amount of gold you can make in a week.

My feelings can be mostly expressed through Nicki’s laugh.

But for real this sounds like 1) I am rich 2) I am surrounded by similarly rich people 3) Therefore it seems normal to me that everyone is this rich all the time. 4) If you’re not averaging that rich then you could be in the future just think of the money you might make at some point and maybe have to send out/receive via mail all at once and then you’ll see how sad it is to pay TP taxes like a plebe, so support my economy-hurting practice out of vain aspirational hope. The real life parallels are too obvious so I will hold my tongue in that respect, haha. I’m baffled at how you can be trying to convince people that “it could impact YOU” but then quote the 0.175% figure and continue to act like it’s normal for ~99.8% of people to achieve these earnings nonetheless want to mail them all per week. Further, I thought Anet always made it abundantly clear that they do not approve of or support in any way trading going on by mail.

But if you really want to , I don’t see the issue in using alternate currencies to pay for things all at once, so long as both parties agree ahead of time. Mail ecto or t6 mats. Voila, this incredibly specific problem is solved. I just… would really not expect a lot of sympathy here, even if you lead in with “pull yourselves up by your bootstraps and someday you’ll have this problem” rhetoric :)

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

“but yeah to me 500g is what everyone makes on a weekly basis.”

This is part of your problem. I run dungeons almost on a daily basis, I am not a streamer, and I have two accounts. I don’t make 500g on a weekly basis, nor do I ever transfer that much between my accounts (I use my guild bank for transfers of wealth).

You are one of the unfortunate but small percent of outliers this WILL affect. Chris has clearly stated some people will be affected.

Obviously, you are smart, you will find ways around things. Maybe start having people pay you with items over actual gold? Its not hard to turn gold into items in this game at all.

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

Posted by: Nyx.7342

Nyx.7342

Dam…this thread had so much hate and stupidity.

I am totally in favor of a player to player trading system. Obviously its easier to use the TP for items that you use on a regular basis, but a trading system would be great for higher end items. If they made the trading system like lfg, As in have an extra tab where people can list wts/wtbs than it also wouldnt create massive spam in LA.

To OP, sorry about the affects the changes have on you. You seem like a pretty reasonable person who is being hindered not only on your own progress but also in helping people around you.

Also the TP price sink doesnt really make that much sense. I dont see why the 15% on legendaries creates a huge loss of gold from the market. Sure its a lot of gold for the person selling/buying but for the whole market its nothing. Theres probably 1000s of more gold lost in tax on lower end items that people wouldnt waste time using the possible peer to peer trading system that all. Additionally precursors and higher end items are ones that are more special and can have a lot of meaning between people. I know friends who have given away their pres to people who were working on those legendaries. I know people who made legendaries for other peoples brithdays. Those higher priced items need a better way to be traded than the TP.

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

This must be another part of the april fools joke

Cant imagine any other way this thread could be serious. 500 gold an hour is easy? Trolololololololol

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Candyroxi.6473

Dam…this thread had so much hate and stupidity.

I am totally in favor of a player to player trading system. Obviously its easier to use the TP for items that you use on a regular basis, but a trading system would be great for higher end items. If they made the trading system like lfg, As in have an extra tab where people can list wts/wtbs than it also wouldnt create massive spam in LA.

To OP, sorry about the affects the changes have on you. You seem like a pretty reasonable person who is being hindered not only on your own progress but also in helping people around you.

Also the TP price sink doesnt really make that much sense. I dont see why the 15% on legendaries creates a huge loss of gold from the market. Sure its a lot of gold for the person selling/buying but for the whole market its nothing. Theres probably 1000s of more gold lost in tax on lower end items that people wouldnt waste time using the possible peer to peer trading system that all. Additionally precursors and higher end items are ones that are more special and can have a lot of meaning between people. I know friends who have given away their pres to people who were working on those legendaries. I know people who made legendaries for other peoples brithdays. Those higher priced items need a better way to be traded than the TP.

Thing is, you guys should stop thinking you’re the minority rich and other people are dirt poor and jealous of you.
As mentioned, I am a legendary maker too, I’ve made and sold 6 legendaries myself and cooperating with friends to make dozens more (yep im the kind of person who likes to do world completion and have stacks of Obsi shards from SW farming), all over the TP system because it is supposed to be. Sure, 15% fee is not taking much gold out of the market, but it’s still like doing something instead of doing nothing at all. Your tax in real life is small but still contributing to government’s fund btw. I hope you dont make a protest to make them disappear because its too little, too.
The thing is, the mail system still work. Please dont act like nowadays it totally just disappear. You know friend who give away precursor to another, they can still do it now. You know some friends making legendary for others in occasion like birthday, they can also do it still. SO I dont really get your point. Sure, if you want money from it you can still does, even thuosands of gold. You can still draw them in 500g per week, not that it totally disappear.
TP is there to be used. I dont get why you guys wanting to ignore it so much. Everyone’s using it and just get deduction slowly in smaller package, so in a big scene they’d still losing a large sum of gold over time. Yet they dont complain. And they’re the class you guys think “dirt poor”.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Wait. Someone who freely admits he’s in the upper .175% of income in the game is upset because the system isn’t tailored to his needs.

As a side effect, they want a system that’s guaranteed to increase in-game scamming, and be a RMT haven. Because it would be easier for him to avoid the TP tax.

No.

Yep I do freely admit it as anyone can get there with a lil bit of motivation.

I want a system that can actually prevent me from being impaired by something that is introduced when everything was working fine. Because I enjoy player to player trading and nothing bad can come from it. Less scamming actually.

Yes.

Um, no, everyone cannot get to the level of income you have. If everyone did the things you did, they wouldn’t be as valuable. People are paying you to save them time. If everyone was willing to spend that time, then no one would be willing to pay anyone else for it.

Also: no about P2P trading. I really enjoy meeting other traders in-game. It’s how I met most of my closest friends in other games and I do miss that in GW2.

However, P2P trading is bad for the community overall:

• It allows people to scam others in a variety of ways, including item substitution, avoid market prices, take advantage of imperfect distribution of knowledge, and launder illicitly earned wealth.
  • It bypasses the best and biggest gold sink in just about any MMO.

I’m glad that the things you do make you richer than just about everyone else (and I hope you realize that you’re in the 1%, not the 20%). And I agree that your ideas should be heard just as much as anyone else’s. However, when suggesting a massive change to the status quo (in relation to trading, not the gold transfer limit), the proponent needs to point out how it benefits the community as a whole. So far, your posts do a good job of explaining how this would benefit the minority of the wealthy and those trying to bypass TP fees; I haven’t seen how the new economy would benefit the majority.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Nyx.7342

Nyx.7342

Thing is, you guys should stop thinking you’re the minority rich and other people are dirt poor and jealous of you.
As mentioned, I am a legendary maker too, I’ve made and sold 6 legendaries myself and cooperating with friends to make dozens more (yep im the kind of person who likes to do world completion and have stacks of Obsi shards from SW farming), all over the TP system because it is supposed to be. Sure, 15% fee is not taking much gold out of the market, but it’s still like doing something instead of doing nothing at all. Your tax in real life is small but still contributing to government’s fund btw. I hope you dont make a protest to make them disappear because its too little, too.
The thing is, the mail system still work. Please dont act like nowadays it totally just disappear. You know friend who give away precursor to another, they can still do it now. You know some friends making legendary for others in occasion like birthday, they can also do it still. SO I dont really get your point. Sure, if you want money from it you can still does, even thuosands of gold. You can still draw them in 500g per week, not that it totally disappear.
TP is there to be used. I dont get why you guys wanting to ignore it so much. Everyone’s using it and just get deduction slowly in smaller package, so in a big scene they’d still losing a large sum of gold over time. Yet they dont complain. And they’re the class you guys think “dirt poor”.

im not actually in the same situation as the OP….i make at max 100g a week because im lazy and i pvp a lot. The reason why im supporting him is simply that i think we should be more understanding of other peoples situations. I have friends who are impacted by this as well. I understand where he is coming from and i dont understand why they dont have a person to person trading system.

Its not just giving away precursors and stuff, if i got dusk tomorrow i would sell it to a guildy. Would he be able to pay me right away…no. So if theyre going to limit the ability of someone to send gold through mail why not make another alternative when it comes to higher priced items? If they restricted person to person trading for weapons made from the mystic forge i.e. foefire weps, legendaries, etc. and skins from bl chests wouldnt that be fine?

(edited by Nyx.7342)

Candyroxi.6473

im not actually in the same situation as the OP….i make at max 100g a week because im lazy and i pvp a lot. The reason why im supporting him is simply that i think we should be more understanding of other peoples situations. I have friends who are impacted by this as well. I understand where he is coming from and i dont understand why they dont have a person to person trading system.

Its not just giving away precursors and stuff, if i got dusk tomorrow i would sell it to a guildy. Would he be able to pay me right away…no. So if theyre going to limit the ability of someone to send gold through mail why not make another alternative when it comes to higher priced items? If they restricted person to person trading for weapons made from the mystic forge i.e. foefire weps, legendaries, etc. and skins from bl chests wouldnt that be fine?

They are not limiting that person sending gold to you. He can pay you the amount you want to. You just cant withdraw them all in one package, but in 500g each time.

Posted by: Cazamar.7148

Cazamar.7148

Use the tp like you’re supposed to, problem solved.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

i dont understand why they dont have a person to person trading system.

The stated reason was that they did not want chat to devolve down to a succession of WTB/WTS messages. Since chat would include such messages if P2P trading was available, this should hopefully help you understand the rationale — whether you agree with it or not. There’s also the unstated (but presumably present) reason of the TP fee gold sink, which serves to remove gold from the economy and which would be bypassed by direct trades, perhaps necessitating additional gold sinks.