Guesting and Overflow [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

What people dont realize is that “overflow” is not really a seperate server, but rather one of the other servers that are not currently full. Overflow is just a title that you got moved, not an actual “extra” server as many would like to believe.

See that’s the type of thing I was unaware of. So when I am moved to a low pop server when I am put in overflow? My idea would definitely not work in that case.

Posted by: Medazolam.3058

Medazolam.3058

Missed an event due to overflow on Ferg crossing, so this is not just an issue on very high pop servers

Posted by: Arcain.9106

Arcain.9106

What people dont realize is that “overflow” is not really a seperate server, but rather one of the other servers that are not currently full. Overflow is just a title that you got moved, not an actual “extra” server as many would like to believe.

That’s interesting to hear and I doubt many players know that. Could you link a post from ANet confirming that?

Posted by: Martin Kerstein.3071

Martin Kerstein.3071

Head of Global Community

Next

This information is actually totally wrong. Overflow are separate from the worlds.

Posted by: elixabethclaire.8324

elixabethclaire.8324

That’s interesting to hear and I doubt many players know that. Could you link a post from ANet confirming that?

No, that person cannot link to a post confirming it, as it’s untrue.

The Flameseeker Prophecies will be fulfilled. Make peace with the gods before it’s too late!

Poledo.3256

This information is actually totally wrong. Overflow are separate from the worlds.

Thanks for clarifying Martin. Is what I was thinking of possible then? Or is it a programming nightmare?

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

I can’t even go to my own server to kill dragons yet players from other servers can guest to my server while i get put into the overflow. There should be priority on players from the home server over ones guesting

Posted by: Arcain.9106

Arcain.9106

Thanks for clarifying Martin. Is what I was thinking of possible then? Or is it a programming nightmare?

I think it’ll be a programming nightmare. I always thought overflow servers were side servers for when the main servers can’t handle any more players, so you’ll have players from multiple servers in the one overflow. Now to sync with the main server doesn’t exist because there is no main server.

Posted by: Martin Kerstein.3071

Previous

Martin Kerstein.3071

Head of Global Community

Next

As overflow servers are a shared resource (they are not world specific) my guess is that it would not be possible.

Posted by: Antonin.3926

Antonin.3926

This is getting out of hand. The last 3 dragon events I tried to take part in all sent me to overflow. This hasnt happened since launch or in LA.

Posted by: Jordy.1570

Jordy.1570

just think about the reason….anet made some changes and most ppl changed their farming pattern…. most chest events r pretty much free loot. do ppl want hardcore or easymode content? do ppl play for loot or “just for fun”? is loot = fun?

many ppl stopped playing fractals since loot is not worth the effort…. there has to be a much better loot balance….

im playing for loot and fun but things changed since last patch. lately im spending most time afk while waiting for a dragon. playing dungeons is much more exausting and rewards r not worth the effort.

Posted by: bigtankstarsp.3581

bigtankstarsp.3581

How do you know it’s all guests?

Maybe, since the events are ACTUALLY worth doing now…more people on your server are doing them! GASP!

Also, hilarious to me that a month ago every other post was “OMG GAME IS DEAD NO ONE IS IN ANY ZONES”, and now it’s “OMG OVERFLOWS, LAG, WTF ANET”

Makes me happy on the inside.

Roflcakes I am on a high population server and never once have i had an overflow issue in all my zones Until the dragon chests became 1/character/dragon chest.. now im getting overflow in newb zones where SB is?

i mean 2+2 still =4 right?

[JL] Tstar D Engineer
[JL] Oakland Raider
B L A C K G AT E

Posted by: Antonin.3926

Antonin.3926

Really sucks getting put into overflow in every zone with dragon events.

Posted by: DaddyPig.6185

DaddyPig.6185

You don’t think people aren’t abusing the guesting system? Okay then

The current rewards are a farmers paradise. Why farm karka shells and the other goodies in Southsun Cove when you can simply server hop and nail all of these chests that give at least a guaranteed rare.

One giveaway that I’ve noticed since guesting arrived is that being on a UK server everyone spoke English even in zones that were mobbed and this is since the games release. Only since the guesting arrived we now have main and overflow chat full of people speaking French, German, etc.

Plus, even though these zones are now heavily populated, you’d never actually know due to the ridiculous amount of culling. Enter a zone, wait a while until it displays characters, move a short distance and watch people fade out of view and more appear.

Surely people cannot be happy playing the game with the state that the events are currently in and the lag that is present?

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

As overflow servers are a shared resource (they are not world specific) my guess is that it would not be possible.

That’s what I figured. People seem to be under the impression that there is a specific overflow server for their home server, and that’s just not the case. When you’re on an overflow server you’re populating it with players from any number of different servers. So, it’s just not possible to sync event times to a particular server without them being wrong for every other server.

Posted by: Sashi.9436

Sashi.9436

Let’s do some simple math.
3 million players, 51 servers, boss that drops fat loot in zone that holds less than 500 people…..

Guesting is not the issue here.

Yet there are like 20 new topics blaming guesting.

Edge.4180

3 million players, 51 servers, boss that drops fat loot in zone that holds less than 500 people…..

It would be ridiculous to suggest that guesting isn’t, at the very least, making the problem worse than it would otherwise be.

I mean, if you want to be simple let’s be simple. People are complaining that they can’t participate in events on their home server without being pushed to overflow. Meanwhile, there are people at those events on said home server who are guests. Those are spots being taken up, which means more home residents getting pushed to overflow, which means more people on here complaining about it.

That’s pretty simple.

Posted by: Mwerevu.4013

Mwerevu.4013

Lowering the amount of people required before overflow happens was the wrong way to fix it. I’d rather be lagged than not be there at all.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

This is getting out of hand. The last 3 dragon events I tried to take part in all sent me to overflow. This hasnt happened since launch or in LA.

People asked for ways to get people out of LA and into more of the zones. Now, ANet has done just that…and we seem to be asking ANet to send us back to LA.

As long as the game rewards us big for 5-8 minutes effort and limits it to once per event (per character), people are going to chase those specific events and try to get into those zones just before an event takes off.

ANet can reduce the number of times we can loot, reduce the loot to what it was before, or put a minimum time investment before dropping better loot. What they can’t do is guarantee we won’t hit overflow if we show up at the last minute.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Raigna.5208

Raigna.5208

Its a good idea if it can be implemented, but I would suggest syncing up home servers as well as overflows, if the problem is indeed guesting this would take away the incentive to move to a server where the events are going to start before the guesters home server.

Edge.4180

Lowering the amount of people required before overflow happens was the wrong way to fix it. I’d rather be lagged than not be there at all.

Understandably, the people that are there would rather not be lagged.

Sashi.9436

For those that want to Spawn the dragon in overflow that cant happen. Overflow is open to ALL severs. Every sever does not get its own overflow. So it just wouldn’t work.
Only Real fix to this is to Nerf the chests back to normal. Keep QQing and thats what will happen.

Posted by: Jordy.1570

Jordy.1570

imo there r not enough server.

effort/loot balance is causing big problems atm… and i dont think chest rewards r too good… fractal/mob and dungeon rewards r just too low…. needs to be more constant… maw chest reward can vary between 50s and 4g… disenchanting rare item gives u between 0 to 3 ectos…. u should at least get always 1 ecto…. it often so frustrating….

Posted by: Kalsoa.5962

Kalsoa.5962

This overflow garbage is getting out of hand. You guys need to limit the hell out of guesting, can’t even do events on your own freaking server anymore without being thrown into an overflow.

(edited by Kalsoa.5962)

Sashi.9436

It would be ridiculous to suggest that guesting isn’t, at the very least, making the problem worse than it would otherwise be.

I mean, if you want to be simple let’s be simple. People are complaining that they can’t participate in events on their home server without being pushed to overflow. Meanwhile, there are people at those events on said home server who are guests. Those are spots being taken up, which means more home residents getting pushed to overflow, which means more people on here complaining about it.

That’s pretty simple.

Ok go get some air and read this.

Guesting adds very few to the boss fight. The reason you are in overflow is because ALOT of people are there. If guesting was off you would still get in overflow because you waited till the boss was up to teleport in. People who wait get the loot. People who don’t often don’t. Yes Guesting takes a few spots away but if your not willing to wait for it your not worthy of the spot.

Posted by: LRdM.2730

LRdM.2730

I was unable to participate in the Frozen Maw world event on my home server, Isle of Janthir, as I was sent to overflow due to the number of guests on my home server.

Posted by: pandabuds.8017

pandabuds.8017

In medical devices, we have change control to review changes and evaluate the impact of changes to our device. When I read about limiting chests to once a day, but enabling guesting, big red flags went off in my head as I remembered that miserable event back in November 2012 called Lost Shores.

Remember that?

I don’t know what you guys do for this game, but there seems to be a glaring hole in your impact assessments.

Get rid of guesting. I can’t believe I’m spending more time trying to get into my own server than I am playing the game.

Posted by: Vilaptca.6037

Vilaptca.6037

It’s kind of ignorant to assume that because of guesting you have overflows. Does your own server not do the dragon events? Even if they remove guesting, everyone is trying to get in on this and you’re still going to have overflows.

If ANet wasn’t so controlling of their economy, this wouldn’t be an issue. People wouldn’t be flocking to one zone all at the same time. People need ectos, we need the rares to get these ectos. If so many items didn’t need 250+ ectos to make this wouldn’t be an issue.

Even the devs said that maybe they got carried away with the cost of some items, but instead of fixing the recipe they are flooding the market with rares/ectos. Doesn’t solve the problem and has only created more.

Sashi.9436

Alright, first off, let’s get to the root of the problem. The problem is not that loot is better, nor that there is guesting, nor that you can get chests on alts.

The problem is the timers.

You should be incentivized for exploring the world, and coming upon those events. Being in guilds that can call them out when they are seen. You shouldn’t be relying on a third party website that tracks the times, lets everyone come in and camp waiting for the event. What ideally should be done, is make those timers more random so those sites are invalid, and people aren’t timing out those events so the mass populus doesn’t converge at the exact same time.

If the timers were gone, the problem of extreme server lag would be as well, because it would require slightly more effort that most people aren’t willing to put the time investment in for, and beyond that it would make it more rewarding to get to the event.

edit: Also, don’t be dumb, this isn’t “exploiting”, stop trying to reinvent terms to demonize people.

I agree if there was a window of 3 hour, less people would be willing to wait and it will be more of a chance meaning only people with guild members on the map will get the dragon. More luck than math.

Posted by: eXPro.5681

eXPro.5681

Exactly the same thing happen to me. im also from isles of janthir. i just did shatterer and everyone got kicked off the server. I have no idea if its because of the massive people guesting our server but its very frustating… ANet should just remove guesting from the game and build a multi-server party system for dungeon and merge pvp server since most of them are empty.

Posted by: Dagger.4056

Dagger.4056

Why don’t guesters get sent to overflow instead? Give the Home Server population priority to the main server. It would solve the problem with the home server population getting sent to overflow all the time, and fix the guesting farming issue

Posted by: Ryokuro.8125

Ryokuro.8125

I agree. This is absolutely stupid. You picked your server, now STAY THERE.

Don’t inconvenience other people on different servers because you’re a greedy git who wants a chest of rares.

Core i7 3770K OC’d @ 4.5Ghz ~Asus P8Z77 V-Deluxe
GTX980 Strix ~ 32GB RAM
Crucial m4 256Gb SSD ~ Seagate 1TB 7.2k RPM HDD

Posted by: cargan.5689

cargan.5689

I do wonder why people conect the problem with guesting, there are only so many toons going after a chest if 50 people find the timing on TC is better than SOR im sure there would be 50 people on TC rather than wait head for SOR

The same number of people are doing the event they just time shift when and where they do it to add convienience.

All that means is people arent waiting, what seems to be the rub is people after so long of “bad” loot think the only way/ easiest way to get items is event chests so while 50 people would turn up for a Jormag that droped blues and greens 500 people want to be there for a Jormag that drops 1-3 rares.

Ulfar SOR

Posted by: Dcollins.6973

Dcollins.6973

Don’t comment on Guesting and how Anet is going to fix it. Just point out player misinformation, awesome.

So Anet is too worried about Living Story to fix the problem plaguing a multitude of servers atm is what I am getting from this?

ArenaNets idea of a legendary is appalling…
Illivatur – Juggernaut – Eternity – Jade Quarry

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

You can open a chest you already did on one server by guesting to another?
That doesn’t make sense to be possible. Should just make chests conscious of whether you did the event on another serva.

but I assumed overflows happen because people have reason to go out and play the world a bit more.

The great forum duppy.

Posted by: eXPro.5681

eXPro.5681

LOL! Just missed tequalt because of overflow server! Looks like we wont hunt dragon tonight! Hope its just a bug and will get fixed SOON.

Edit: I also noticed a huge lag in chest (dragon) event 1 days ago due to the massive numbers of players but it was still playable. Now we get moved to overflow instead and miss our home world dragon/chest.

(edited by eXPro.5681)

Posted by: rootnode.9546

rootnode.9546

Don’t comment on Guesting and how Anet is going to fix it. Just point out player misinformation, awesome.

So Anet is too worried about Living Story to fix the problem plaguing a multitude of servers atm is what I am getting from this?

Did you expect something else?

And I do agree. The guesting and the lag is horrible at the moment. Really horrible.

Foran Lonewind – Mesmer
Gwens Avengers
Riverside

Posted by: oruma.4092

oruma.4092

ofc its an exploit when u abuse an game feature, which surely wasnt intended for this kind of play, to maximise farming during a short periode of time

Dcollins.6973

And I do agree. The guesting and the lag is horrible at the moment. Really horrible.

Yea, I expected a “Hey wer’re working on it, sorry for screwing up the game so bad!”

And the problem isn’t JUST guesting… It’s all the baddies who farmed Dungeons all day can’t do it now.. ( well they can just DR doesn’t reset until daily does also now ) so they’re out doing the events now, like Dragons and Maw and etc…. So that large influx of people who weren’t jumping from event to event now are a present problem. Add that onto the Guesting problems and you’ve got a recipe for disaster. Idk why but Anet likes to punish the masses for the deeds of a few…. Like farming for items for your legendary is going to make you so much gold or something. I just don’t get it.

Poledo.3256

Thanks Martin, good to know. back to the drawing board I guess.

Posted by: kenshinakh.3672

kenshinakh.3672

Even without guesting, you’re going to get overflow.

Let’s say in theory they suddenly disabled guesting… I can bet you that you’re going to get overflow and lag.

It’s exactly like when FoTM came out. People go play it and boom, overflow. The dragon chest loots just happened to be so appealing right now that people log on for an easy rare.

If you really want to not ever see overflow at those events, you’d have to go to the smallest server possible, or the loot gets lowered and people don’t find it worth doing as much anymore.

Posted by: rootnode.9546

rootnode.9546

Yea, I expected a “Hey wer’re working on it, sorry for screwing up the game so bad!”

And the problem isn’t JUST guesting… It’s all the baddies who farmed Dungeons all day can’t do it now.. ( well they can just DR doesn’t reset until daily does also now ) so they’re out doing the events now, like Dragons and Maw and etc…. So that large influx of people who weren’t jumping from event to event now are a present problem. Add that onto the Guesting problems and you’ve got a recipe for disaster. Idk why but Anet likes to punish the masses for the deeds of a few…. Like farming for items for your legendary is going to make you so much gold or something. I just don’t get it.

I’ve given up the hope of getting a response to the actual problem and not some willy nilly stuff.
Hey, we were told that the game is not about grind, so why fix something that totally disrupts your playing experience just because a massive amount of players is farming and grinding?

Foran Lonewind – Mesmer
Gwens Avengers
Riverside

Poledo.3256

Even without guesting, you’re going to get overflow.

Let’s say in theory they suddenly disabled guesting… I can bet you that you’re going to get overflow and lag.

It’s exactly like when FoTM came out. People go play it and boom, overflow. The dragon chest loots just happened to be so appealing right now that people log on for an easy rare.

If you really want to not ever see overflow at those events, you’d have to go to the smallest server possible, or the loot gets lowered and people don’t find it worth doing as much anymore.

I think so as well, but the guesting does leave a very visible target to release frustration at right now so it’s only natural they have become the scapegoat.

Dcollins.6973

I’ve given up the hope of getting a response to the actual problem and not some willy nilly stuff.
Hey, we were told that the game is not about grind, so why fix something that totally disrupts your playing experience just because a massive amount of players is farming and grinding?

I miss the old Anet.. before they sold out. GW1 Anet > GW2 Anet. It’s like they lost their way and stopped caring about the Players and making an awesome game and now care about money and selling Gems now…

Posted by: Sligh.2789

Sligh.2789

Dragon’s spawn on overflow servers just like the main servers. WHat is the big deal people?

I played these dragons like i was on an overflow the first 4 months when our guild was not getting the WvW bonuses, so no biggie

Power gamers will be power gamers, they are not satisfied until they get their 60 chests a day. They let the bugs and high drop rate work for the power players, then they let the DR take care of the rest of us. Now they are giving back to the power players and the Big guild players.

(edited by Sligh.2789)

Posted by: Lasagne.8045

Lasagne.8045

I can’t even go to my own server to kill dragons yet players from other servers can guest to my server while i get put into the overflow. There should be priority on players from the home server over ones guesting

^ this. I am on limited time and I log in to kill a few dragons and do the dailies and yet I can’t because I’m put in to overflow. So there goes my in game plans. I don’t understand why there has been no word on this. :/

Posted by: Tinboy.7954

Tinboy.7954

I am pretty sure it is not possible. Overflow maps include the “leftover” players from the other full maps; right now you have people from Tarnished Coast, Stormbluff Isle, Henge of Denravi etc. all on one overflow map. Since the timer is different for different worlds, it won’t work. The only way it will work is if all stormbluff isle went on a stormbluff isle overflow, and all tarnished coast went on a tarnished coast overflow. However, if they had the server capacity to do this in the first place, they would not have had to make overflows in the first place.

Posted by: Nemui.6753

Nemui.6753

i believe Ioflux was referring to the actual piece hardware that worlds are hosted on, while you’re basically saying overflow are seperate from worlds software-wise, correct? can we have clarification on this?

Posted by: GonzoNeo.4965

GonzoNeo.4965

They just simple can do that the Home Players could have preference in the server over Guest players when they entered in a map?

That i cant play in my server because thousand of people are guesting is just silly.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I think the best “solution” would be to increase the spawn rate of Dragon and other large events. Since the chests are only lootable once per day per character, giving players more opportunities to attend these events should help spread out the player base so everybody doesn’t just swarm the events whenever one shows up.