Guesting and Overflow [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Overflow isn’t a bug — the game is designed to make sure we can play even if there’s no room in zone for more players. If you arrive in the zone well ahead of the world event, you won’t be in overflow. If you stay in overflow, there’s a decent chance there will be enough people for the event when it occurs there.

The only time we miss out is if we are chasing events based on the presumed time they start.

You want lesser overflow? Encourage ANet to limit the number of times we can open the world-event pinatas. Or ANet could reset the rewards to what they were in January.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Avengersoul.8256

Avengersoul.8256

I’ll admit to using the guesting feature to get some world events up but only early in the morning, not during peak hours. For the most part I stay on my own server in the evenings to do things with my guild, some of which involves the world events.

My first big gripe was all the server side lag while doing said events… now I just tried to do the frozen maw and was thrown into an overflow. Same goes for any other world event I try to do, instantly in an overflow.

Now the guesting feature is nice and all and so is the new chest drop rates, but I’d much rather have the chests/events reverted pre-patch or guesting removed if it stops this.

I’d also like some word on whether Anet is looking into this and possible solutions they have in mind as this is slowly pushing me away from the game.

Yak’s Bend

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

I don’t understand this at all. Why do people think it’s the guesting system?

I’m on Borlis Pass. Tonight, walking out into Queensdale, I was placed on an overflow server for the first time (outside of Lion’s Arch) since shortly after launch.
I commented on that fact, and I had several players talk about this “garbage,” and “stupid guesters” on Tarnished Coast, Darkhaven, etc.

I disagreed with them. I asked, “If everyone’s guesting on your world, why am I here?”

The popular (not, in my opinion, correct) opinion seemed to be that people were guesting to other servers in order to do the Shadow Behemoth event. Again, I pointed out that the Borlis Pass timer still had more than an hour before the event came up, and that there was little reason for anyone to guest to my server. And again, I asked, “So if it’s all about the guesting, why am I in overflow?”

Why? Why is this a guesting problem? People can only guest on two worlds per day, so they’re not constantly switching to whichever server has a certain event next. And if they’re guesting on your world, constantly switching among their daily 2 guest servers and their own server, always going for the next big event, then 1/3 of the time, they’re not on your server!
And don’t forget, there are people on your server who are guesting on other servers, too. On the whole, it should even out just fine.

Or is everyone so conceited that they think their own server is just so much better than the others that everyone wants to go there? Oh, and of course the “residents” don’t want to guest somewhere else. Why would they? They’re already on the best server. It’s all those foreign players, those “immigrants” from other servers! They’re the ones to blame for all our problems!

I’m sorry to rant, but I’m very frustrated by people’s tendency to blame everyone else (and yes, I see the irony in that statement). Nobody seems to realize that there are enough players on your own server, not guesting, to put many of the players in overflow if they clump up in one place. Because, again, it’s not the locals who are the problem. The people on their own server are supposed to be there, after all! It’s all those others who cause the problems.

That’s what it all comes down to. It’s not our fault, it’s everyone else.

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

What people dont realize is that “overflow” is not really a seperate server, but rather one of the other servers that are not currently full. Overflow is just a title that you got moved, not an actual “extra” server as many would like to believe.

This information is actually totally wrong. Overflow are separate from the worlds.

i believe Ioflux was referring to the actual piece hardware that worlds are hosted on, while you’re basically saying overflow are seperate from worlds software-wise, correct? can we have clarification on this?

I believe loflux was referring to putting people from one world into another and telling them it was “overflow.” That’s wrong, of course, as Martin said. I’ve never had anyone who wasn’t on Borlis Pass in my Borlis Pass, and the only people I’ve seen in Overflow were other people in Overflow.

I didn’t really see anything in his post to indicate that he’s talking about hardware. What would be the point of putting a population cap on a server if you’re just going to be filling it with the excess population of another server?

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

Posted by: dkspins.4670

dkspins.4670

Aside from NOT being able to play with one’s friends one of you are in overflow, is that there aren’t Dragon Timers for an Overflow event. Not going to leave my toon idle for 2 hours waiting to see if a Jormag will show, because if I run off somewhere and come back chances are I’ll be in my actual server where the even happened 5 minutes ago.

If you are listening, please reset the rewards back to the way they were in January. The boss events aren’t even fun or challenging anymore since it takes about 2 seconds for the Maw shaman chief to go down, the same for the Shadow Behemoth, and about 1-2 minutes for Tequatl. A side effect of flooding the market with “rares” is their lack of rareness, selling the loot from a chest nets little more than the masterworks from before, the economics of Tyria is crashing.

7k hr, 13k AP, 16 char, all classes 80 Sadly, 3.5k hr. Ranger

Posted by: Silitha The Mystical.5480

Silitha The Mystical.5480

This issue is because of 2 or more other servers Behemoth being bugged(if my information is correct that is)…..so they came to Borlis Pass…..everything was fine until this happened. Until theres an update to unbug that, goodbye dragon hunting.

and no, waiting or arriving early doesnt work. I went on Queensdale an hour before the SB’s spawn window to do some clearing on a new toon and I STILL got put into overflow.

Posted by: SingularityEclipse.4796

SingularityEclipse.4796

If you are listening, please reset the rewards back to the way they were in January.

My recommendation would be to keep the rewards, but remove the ability to receive multiple chests by guesting. If you can only get one of each chest per day, maximum, then the guesting would stop, and it would accomplish what Arenanet was hoping to accomplish, namely to encourage people to try a variety of world events. And frankly, since we can get level 80 rares from level 15 world events, there’s still plenty of opportunity to collect some goods. Farmers can go to the dungeons, where there’s greater risk vs rewards. It’s what they did before the dragon chests became such easy money.

Posted by: dkspins.4670

dkspins.4670

I wasn’t aware that if you guested on another server, you could get another chest. No guesting would solve alot of the problems we’re experiencing.

7k hr, 13k AP, 16 char, all classes 80 Sadly, 3.5k hr. Ranger

Posted by: Axiarus.2376

Axiarus.2376

How about this, push guests into the overflow to make room for home players.

Posted by: AtlasSi.9130

AtlasSi.9130

It’s an hour and 15 mins before Behemoth spawns on Borlis Pass. And there is already an overlfow for Queensdale. Wtf Anet? Remove guesting. Or exactly what you the guy above me said. Push those guesters to the overflow to make room for the people that actually play on the dam server.

18 80s | 12 100% | r177 | wvw r970 | 9,000+ hours
BP → DR → FA → Mag → BP → FA

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

Let’s do some simple math.
3 million players, 51 servers, boss that drops fat loot in zone that holds less than 500 people…..

Guesting is not the issue here.

It would be ridiculous to suggest that guesting isn’t, at the very least, making the problem worse than it would otherwise be.

I mean, if you want to be simple let’s be simple. People are complaining that they can’t participate in events on their home server without being pushed to overflow. Meanwhile, there are people at those events on said home server who are guests. Those are spots being taken up, which means more home residents getting pushed to overflow, which means more people on here complaining about it.

That’s pretty simple.

Ok go get some air and read this.

Guesting adds very few to the boss fight. The reason you are in overflow is because ALOT of people are there. If guesting was off you would still get in overflow because you waited till the boss was up to teleport in. People who wait get the loot. People who don’t often don’t. Yes Guesting takes a few spots away but if your not willing to wait for it your not worthy of the spot.

Some of you are acting like it’s difficult to see the problem in action. It’s not. When you’re at an event and some of your friends are stuck in overflow, and you put forth the question in chat “how many of you here are guesting to this server/event?” and more than half of the people present respond “me” … it’s pretty obvious where a lot of the potential slots for full-time residents are going.

This isn’t rocket science. Instead of speculating here on the forum, start investigating out there in the game.

Posted by: Sashi.9436

Sashi.9436

I don’t know about everyone else but the Lag for me is gone. Now people are just Mad they are getting in the overflow and somehow imagen that if guesting was not in the game they would get into the fight. They don’t comprehend that their are so many people in the overflow most of them would of gotten in first and they still would be in the overflow.

Early Bird get the Dragon Chest

Posted by: Zapan.7460

Zapan.7460

When FotM hit LA, overflow came with it. Now with World Bosses being the shiniest destination for loot…. overflow. Not only that, but lag as the focal point, that focal point being the one location-World Boss event, for an abundance of graphic effects and calculations from buffs, etc.
I quit. ….until some undetermined time later on. Who’s coming with me?
… did they leave? Is the overflow gone? I’m Back!
No, really. Leaving for an undetermined duration of time. No you can’t have my stuff. Overflow (add servers? /shrug); random mistakes or intended misuse by players resetting Dragontimer, (which is an aspect that should be in-game. World Map view having a Wold Boss icon with mouse over timer countdown or throw a countdown timer per boss in Hero tab, where you click a box to track or don’t click, certain world bosses, like Daily & other achievements do. Tracking puts the countdown timer in the upper right of screen, which can be minimized like the current track Daily, Slayer, etc); the guild left in October, more or less, I was last one; Loot ups and downs from tweeking-still needs work; strongly dislike Mystic Forge (just give Precursor a MF recipe using some of the Gifts that are the same Gifts used for Legendary. Along with keeping the chance for random Precursor loot drop anywhere.); & the lag is unbearably not fun.

PS, (Anet) take a look at the Bots you used to test the game pre-release (look at a data saved or put Bots on a test server for new data) and cue in on an aspect that makes their behavior unique (teleporting from NPC to NPC to Ore to Ore? distance traveled/time=bot?), and use that to deal with Bots instead of the DR method. I found talking about Bot testing in this. Along with a lot of other more interesting aspects. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/180776/Video_Guild_Wars_2s_programming_tricks_revealed.php#.ULbpkoZfaUk

(edited by Zapan.7460)

Sashi.9436

3 million players, 51 servers, boss that drops fat loot in zone that holds less than 500 people…..

It would be ridiculous to suggest that guesting isn’t, at the very least, making the problem worse than it would otherwise be.

I mean, if you want to be simple let’s be simple. People are complaining that they can’t participate in events on their home server without being pushed to overflow. Meanwhile, there are people at those events on said home server who are guests. Those are spots being taken up, which means more home residents getting pushed to overflow, which means more people on here complaining about it.

That’s pretty simple.

Guesting adds very few to the boss fight. The reason you are in overflow is because ALOT of people are there. If guesting was off you would still get in overflow because you waited till the boss was up to teleport in. People who wait get the loot. People who don’t often don’t. Yes Guesting takes a few spots away but if your not willing to wait for it your not worthy of the spot.

Some of you are acting like it’s difficult to see the problem in action. It’s not. When you’re at an event and some of your friends are stuck in overflow, and you put forth the question in chat “how many of you here are guesting to this server/event?” and more than half of the people present respond “me” … it’s pretty obvious where a lot of the potential slots for full-time residents are going.

This isn’t rocket science. Instead of speculating here on the forum, start investigating out there in the game.

As i have. Question do you know what a Troll is? People Lie. I’ve seen people Change their guild and say that just to get a reaction out of people. Its not Rocket science to see that there are ALOT of people at the dragon and ALOT more in the overflows. (yes Overflows seeing as more than one is made during peak hours)

If they really wanted that spot they would of gotten to the fight sooner. If they really wanted the spot they would of gotten there before the guesters who tend to come near the start of the fight.

You are complaining because someone got there first and was willing to wait. If you wait people will slowly stop going to the events. Guesting will get new rules because to many people complain. I’m on TC and had an overflow over an hour before Shadow fight.

New question if the Loot was back to normal would you be at the fight? Often answer to this question is NO. Your are after easy loot and because you waited till the last min or nearly the last min you feel entitled to a spot because its your home sever. Next you will get mad because a Tourist took your fav chair at the bar. The people who get into the fights Often are the ones willing to wait. As you have said you gotten into fights to ask that question so i would guess you are one of the people who inform their guild that the boss is about to spawn or the pre-event is up. Maybe 5-20 of your guild show up for the fight. Times that by how many different guilds there are and you will see an overflow. Guesting yes Takes some spots in the fight but they EARNED the spot.

PS you can guest to If you don’t get into your fight go get another one.

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

(snip)

You are making way too many assumptions in your argument, and all of them are incorrect.

Sashi.9436

Remove the ability to get chests from non homeworld servers. PLEASE.

I literally hate any person who is on Jade Quarry who is guesting recently because the droves of mindless sheep are running around like ants and ruining the actual server occupants ability to enjoy the events.

-ALL I WANTED WAS A FINAL REST TO GIVE TO SOMEONE I KNOW WHO WANTS IT-

No, I can’t get them the final rest unless I go and farm for days because these leeches, these schools of hive minded fish have to ruin it for everyone else.

If you are going to farm JQ constantly, use the gold to transfer here. Help us in wvw if you are going to leech off of our chests.

They sicken me as of late, and I wanted a united community. Thats what was advertised.

They even overpopulated an event so badly last night that it crashed the ENTIRE GAME for a few minutes. ALL SERVERS.

Between wvw, chest guesting and etc.
I’d like it to go back to how it was where I would feel happy when I saw another player.
Now I just die a bit inside when I see them. I’d like them to just log off.

They have become competition for resources: The ability to do practically any event on my server and get the chest.
I end up on an overflow even if I go in 30 minutes early.

Remember the whole object of the game? Missed it.

Another solution would be to kick them out of the map into overflow when a server resident wants to enter the map.
They shouldn’t be getting slots that people who are not guested don’t have.

PLEASE make these people stick to their own servers when going after dragon chests and similar. They should have to do it on their own server due to the nature of the event. It would spread all this out and help with server load.

Go check your LA. You may notice that its not an overflow. So were are these people? They are waiting for the dragons to spawn.

You want Anet to change a game aspect because you don’t want to wait for the dragon to spawn. If you are not willing to wait 40 mins you don’t get the chest.

Just wait for Final Rest to go down in price. You know its happening Day 1 it was over 100g now its barley 18 gold.

<—- Guests to Jade Quarry to hang out with firends

Why dont you just guest to? You may see it from different eyes when you see that guests are in the overflow to!

All your solutions would KILL guesting. Guesting is to let you have funwith firends. Some want to kill dragons together. People would fight over which sever to do it on because one wouldnt get loot and that wouldnt be far. But you dont care because you don’t guest. Nerf the loot and this whole problem goes away.

(edited by Sashi.9436)

Sashi.9436

I just want something done to stop the leeching parasites.

My server shouldn’t have to subsidize their farming when they have a perfectly good server with less traffic they could be doing it on instead.

Dude you have the Highest pop sever. You know everyone is telling their guild Blank is about to spawn and all flood the area. Even without guesting it would be a big pain.

Posted by: Slay Shade.8632

Slay Shade.8632

Just missed SB and Claw because of guesting over flows. This is stupid. Id rather they remove guesting outright than be forced off my own server.

Posted by: Silitha The Mystical.5480

Silitha The Mystical.5480

just figured this out lol…if you have a buddy that isnt in overflow and you are in party with them, right click their name and select “Join in _”…dunno why I think about that earlier

Posted by: Excell.1042

Excell.1042

Yesterday me and my guild did a guild bounty, our first bounty went pretty well ((We had the guy down in about 3 minutes)) then we needed to kill some other bounty in Sparkfly Fen, during this time however, Tequatl popped up, and as you can imagine many of us ((If not all but one)) were sent off into the overflow.

This is not the only problem I have with overflows, it’s getting out of hand lately, every worldboss is getting swarmed with players FROM OTHER SERVERS, causing people of the actual server to get into an overflow, this is not a post on “OMFG stop guesting nub”, rather, this is a question as to if something will happen? ((As right now, guild bounties are a matter of luck on which boss you get, and if you want to kill a dragon, you’ll have to stand in the zone it’s in, AFK, for half an hour))

Is it actually ruining the game for us who dont play cross server?

Posted by: Bry.8140

Bry.8140

Desolation Server

It comes to something when we are getting booted onto an overflow server for events/dragons etc and as a result miss them.

I have no doubt this is caused by guesting, so my point here is why are player from desolation getting stiffed onto an overflow while guests can quite happily play on the main server and get their events/dragons done for a second time in the space of 24hrs?

Would love a response from ANet on this one please

Cheers

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

The whole thing is getting very annoying with overflows everywhere. I don’t know how much of it is because of questing and how much simply because people are coming out of LA and dungeons to camp these world events.

Solutions?

1) Limit boss chests to one per account for day (per event)
2) Increase drop rates other world mobs. If veterans had a high chance of dropping rares and champions exotics, people would spread out over the midlevel zones instead of all ganking one event.

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

You easily notice that on German servers as you’re suddenly talking to people in various foreign languages when put on overflow. At least I guess it’s more common on NA/EU servers to hear different languages than on the few “strictly” German ones.
Anyway, the solution is: one chest per event per day. No matter on which server. The current guesting hopping seems more like an exploit than anything else, why should you be able loot the chest on another server but only once on your own servers.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

That’s pretty simple.

No it’s not difficult to see the problem, though for some it clearly is. It is NOT guesting. Get over that. The issue is the loot you get from these events that makes people go from boss event to boss event for a few rares. Disabling guesting would not make the problem go away. It won’t even make it that much less. Your massive overexaggeration of half the people saying me does not make it true that there are that many people guesting.

People will spread around again once the loot from other sources is on par with these chests. Until then have fun in overflow caused by your own server’s population. Guesting is just a scapegoat being used by those that don’t see the bigger picture.

Posted by: Tankzilla.7052

Tankzilla.7052

Random guildmate “Pre event for shatterer started”
Head over there, overflow… I’ll stick around to see if I get in.

Random guildmate “Shatterer down, got 2 rares woo”
…..

Being just an ordinary mortal, working 9 hours a day, playing during “prime” time this really isn’t very fun. The past 2 days I’ve tried to catch maybe 10 dragon events, overflow 9/10 times.

The 1 time I did manage to get in was when a guildie announced the pre event just started, I hoped on the zone and got in. A mate joined some 20 sec later, overflow.

Perhaps allow people to guest with someone they are in group with, that would allow 4 quests per player. Or maybe make it so that the native population gets placed first in que and put the quests in the back of the line.

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

I’d really like to see some official data: how many players use the guesting system to farm dragons? I don’t see a lot of em on the forums (or maybe they don’t dare to speak up :p), and in my not-so-small guild I don’t know anyone who does it.

It IS possible that most of the problems are caused by native players. Hell, I didn’t look at the dragons before the update, now I have one alt on stand-by whenever a dragon is called in guildchat. And at launch and pre-launch, the starting areas were in constant overflow as well – and that was waaay before the guesting system.

So before I grab my torch and pitchfork to chase out the strangers who took our jobs, I want to know just how big of a problem they really are.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

I still don’t think the overflows have anything to do with guesting at all.

Posted by: Leviathan.9850

Leviathan.9850

Desolation here, too, and I’ve had the same problems.

Even if I am able to do the events, it’s just a terrible time with the lag and everything dying in 2 seconds.

Hannelora – Engineer; Fan Lei Fa – Ranger
[Xian] Terracotta Army – Desolation server

Posted by: awe extender.1908

awe extender.1908

Prioritize Home Players Over Guests

The guesting has officially ruined the game now!

On our own home server, we are doomed to overflow servers. That is NOT right! I, and rest of guild, have been on AG from day 1, and have NEVER experienced being dropped to overflow maps like this. It is ruining the game for everyone.

You must prioritize home players over guests! If home players want to get to a full map, the guests on that map should be kicked to an overflow map instead and give their spot to the home players.

Posted by: Paradox.5498

Paradox.5498

I still don’t think the overflows have anything to do with guesting at all.

Me neither, it’s probably mostly our own server’s populations that clog up zones because they’re running from one world boss to the other. Apart from raising the maps’ pop caps, a solution could be to have all the world bosses (dragons, fire elemental, shadow behemoth, wurm, frozen maw) on the exact respawn same timer so population spreads out over all the maps with a big boss.

If the problems DO originate from too many ppl guesting on worlds they pick out by watching the dragon timers website, the obvious solution would be to have all worlds share the same timers per event, not necessarily all events on 1 timer then.

Anyway, I agree that overflow for every frigging world boss is a PITA and should be addressed so everyone can participate without camping a zone an hour in advance to secure a spot. This is getting annoying as hell.

(edited by Paradox.5498)

Posted by: Adam.4103

Adam.4103

The best solution would be to remove it. It was a good idea but it’s been nothing but an inconvenience.

Adam The Vanquisher
Gandara

Posted by: eXPro.5681

eXPro.5681

How about this, push guests into the overflow to make room for home players.

^this. I hope it get fixed today…. else i feel like ALOT of players will just quit that game… its becoming ridiculous.

Posted by: MagnusLL.8473

MagnusLL.8473

The source problem is the crap loot you get from almost any activity in this game. When this is the case, you can’t really be surprised that people desperately flock to the few activities whose chance of getting even just a simple rare is not another outstandingly accurate approximation of the absolute zero.

Posted by: Arisal.9740

Arisal.9740

Limit the world chest to 1 per day per character regardless of server. Boom, solved because people won’t go guest to kill a world boss if they get no loot for it. This makes it so people only guest to play with their friends on other servers and not doing it just for the loot.

Posted by: Graybes.8251

Graybes.8251

Limit the world chest to 1 per day per character regardless of server. Boom, solved because people won’t go guest to kill a world boss if they get no loot for it. This makes it so people only guest to play with their friends on other servers and not doing it just for the loot.

I’m pretty sure they already did that. It was possible for like a day or two and then they took it out.

Posted by: Rifter.6591

Rifter.6591

I wonder when the devs are going to wake up and realize that guesting isnt the issue, clogged events arnt the issue.

The real issue is this game is so unrewarding for loot in any other location that people who want exotics are forced into these events just to get the ecto’s, and gold farmers are here because this is the fastest way to get ecto’s to sell for gold.

If they boosted open world mob loot tables and JP chest loot tables to drop a rare a hour or every 30 min then people wouldnt all be running the maw/dragons/insert chest event here all day every day with each character they would be out in the world doing there thing if the loot was equal there, the issue is it just isnt as rewarding to run around in the open world as it is to farm the dragons.

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

I’m pretty sure they already did that. It was possible for like a day or two and then they took it out.

Yet that seems to be the best solution.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

Graybes.8251

I’m lost now. How can it be the best solution if it’s already implemented and didn’t work?

Posted by: FateZero.8536

FateZero.8536

I’m lost now. How can it be the best solution if it’s already implemented and didn’t work?

I was wondering the same thing and wondering is everyone playing the same game, lol.

Posted by: Miggz.8213

Miggz.8213

Easy way to find out. Remove chest rewards for guests on world events. They can get it on their own servers. They can still come over and play 99.9% of the other content with friends. This (I think) would put this to rest if its a guest issue or not.

My experience with this has been horrible. Playing a Jade Quarry a heavy pop server already, BUT we never got overflow for world events, now we are and the lag. So in the past couple days I guested over to some light servers and guess what.. No lag, no overflow. Everyone is just putting 2 and 2 together as this started happening after guesting on every world event (at least on our server).

Anet just needs to fix this. I for one ticket this every time I encounter it. I see it as blocking a PVE event.

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

The best solution would be to remove it. It was a good idea but it’s been nothing but an inconvenience.

That would be just another workaround. Only because it’s an inconvenience for you, that doesn’t mean it is for everybody else. They just have to solve the root of those issues: no server hopping for event chests.

The source problem is the crap loot you get from almost any activity in this game. When this is the case, you can’t really be surprised that people desperately flock to the few activities whose chance of getting even just a simple rare is not another outstandingly accurate approximation of the absolute zero.

Yeah, at least 10 rares per day without any effort really isn’t sufficient. Let’s just hand out free legendaries to everybody and remove the gold sinks, yay. Totally works in Diablo III, doesn’t it? Oops… no it doesn’t because the game suffers from heavy inflation. Guess why.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Wait, are you saying it’s possible to bypass the once per day per character limit by guesting?

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Wayland.3528

Wayland.3528

Really overflowed at 6am server time?? This is getting out of hand.

TheBlackLeech.9360

Easy way to find out. Remove chest rewards for guests on world events. They can get it on their own servers. They can still come over and play 99.9% of the other content with friends. This (I think) would put this to rest if its a guest issue or not.

My experience with this has been horrible. Playing a Jade Quarry a heavy pop server already, BUT we never got overflow for world events, now we are and the lag. So in the past couple days I guested over to some light servers and guess what.. No lag, no overflow. Everyone is just putting 2 and 2 together as this started happening after guesting on every world event (at least on our server).

Anet just needs to fix this. I for one ticket this every time I encounter it. I see it as blocking a PVE event.

What proof do you have that it is players guesting and not just a heavy population of your home world players?

Graybes.8251

Wait, are you saying it’s possible to bypass the once per day per character limit by guesting?

I’m saying it WAS possible to bypass the once per day character limit by guesting but they quickly changed that.

Graybes.8251

What proof do you have that it is players guesting and not just a heavy population of your home world players?

His proof is his experience on his server. He clearly said that he has never had overflow and lag for the big world events on JQ but right after guesting was implemented there was lag and overflow.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I think a better way to determine if guesting is the cause would be to disable guesting for a while. If the lag at the events continues unabated, then it’s definitely not guesting.

The table is a fable.

TheBlackLeech.9360

His proof is his experience on his server. He clearly said that he has never had overflow and lag for the big world events on JQ but right after guesting was implemented there was lag and overflow.

You mean right after they gave people a reason to do the world events?

Are you telling me you never get an overflow in Lion’s Arch?

…and if you do get an overflow are you telling me that people are guesting to loiter around in town?

When 300 people all want to do an event, it creates an overflow, guests or not.

The new interest in the world event is the culprit, not the guesting.

I almost guarantee the overflow servers are not due to players guesting, and it is just a much higher population of home-world players attending these events.

Graybes.8251

I think a better way to determine if guesting is the cause would be to disable guesting for a while. If the lag at the events continues unabated, then it’s definitely not guesting.

Lag doesn’t seem to be much of an issue now. Apparently yesterday they lowered the number of people allowed in one zone before throwing people into overflow. This lowered the amount of people at each world event and the lag was gone. This was my experience on JQ yesterday. HOWEVER, with lowering the number of people allowed it made the guesting issue even worse to be honest. Yes there is no lag but now people can’t even get to their events easily because they are getting thrown into overflow in every single zone that has an event. I mean Shadow Behemoth(Queensdale) had an overflow like 45 minutes before he even came up. I even had an overflow when going to The Maw, Shatterer, Teq, Jormag and have never had ones for those zones

(edited by Graybes.8251)

Posted by: Fatfox.4915

Fatfox.4915

I know a guildie that guested a couple of days after the patch didn’t get the chests on the server they were guesting on but that could be due to the chests not rendering or anything like that.

As long as the event still runs in the overflow- regardless of timing compared to the other servers, I don’t really see a problem with it. if everyone was let onto it, they’d be complaints about super lag and lagging to the extreme, more so than now.
The event will start, you just might not have a timer for it and have to guess with the trigger event timings. Yes being in the overflow is not nice, but tbh I’d rather run around in an overflow for 2.5hours and then do the boss with a few people, rather than an invisible army of people that never render. Or get in early for the next spawn.