Guesting and Overflow [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

I see it from both sides really. I think the ire should be directed towards the situation not the people doing the guesting. They are simply using the resources provided by Anet in lieu of the free transfer system we had. There are a few who relish in the fact that they may be causing stress to others but in general I don’t think this is the case.

I think part of the frustration is that people (players who aren’t guesting to other servers) know any fix is going to end up ultimately limiting them in some way. The cycle always seems the same… receive nice things from the developer, watch nice things get abused, lose nice things in the fix.

It gets tiring always watching cool bits of a MMO you enjoy playing getting chipped away at because others seem to be always looking for ways to game the system.

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

First, yes 0 guests and Overflows can still happen, but if guest beat natives to that zone, it will fill faster. So guesting can, and sometimes does, make things much worse.

The servers themselves need to be looked at. Sure, we could make the events happen more often, but even the 30 min ones are getting Overflowed now. Personally, I think I’m done with bothering. There’s enough elsewhere that offers better total rewards.

Not to you but just in general because I’ve read this enough already. This whole thing of visitors and natives, it’s ugly. These are Anets servers and you are bringing bigotry into the situation that isn’t needed. Mentioning the issue of over-populated zergs is fair so they can look at it, but then making a dividing line between players isn’t cool.

You’re kidding, right? The only “ugliness” is what you yourself may be bringing into it with that kind of thinking. This isn’t bigotry. There’s guests and then their are server residents, or natives, or whatever you want to call them.

Nope, I’m being honest. People are telling others… “Go back to your server, stay off mine.”. No player owns the servers, it’s a choice like any choice in life, we all just need to deal with it. That is how I read “Go back…”, sorry.

Anet has given us the option to move as we like within their parameters. Anyone on any server has the same right to be there as the next.

What other mmo’s do is irrelevant, this is the parameters we have in GW2. Several other recent mmo’s are going with mega-servers, meaning one server with instance overflows. That way there is no “This is my server”, I would have preferred GW2 just do that, but I think WvWvW is the reason why we have different servers to fight for, which from reading that hasn’t seemed to be a huge hit. GW1 worked of the mega-server ideal.

(edited by Horrorscope.7632)

Posted by: laharl.8435

laharl.8435

Of course guesting is part of the blame. I happen to be on at a popular time. I generally have 2-3 hours per week night. If I see a dragon will be up soon on another server, I’m going there. As will many people, and during prime times the lucky servers that have a dragon up will undoubtedly get more guests. Thus pushing natives into overflow if they arrive too late. People from many servers are piling into a single server that has a dragon ready to go.

How is it even conceivable that guesting is not part of the problem?

(edited by laharl.8435)

Horrorscope.7632

Game performance/framerate and lag/latency are not the same thing. I can have a comfortably playable framerate, yet my skills simply will not activate. My internet connnect is nowhere near saturated by GW2’s traffic. That leaves lag on the server side as the problem. The fact that everyone else in the map, no matter what PC specs, are having the same lag just confirms this.

Hmm… I haven’t seen that. In my case lag and frame-rate have been related for me on the various systems. I’m my top ends I don’t know if I’ve ever had terrible performance and this includes the famous Kraka weekend event, I was in the 20’s but the mouse/skills were smooth and consistent. You are saying you can have great frame rates but lag in using skills. I haven’t encountered that one.

On the slower systems, the FPS gets into single digits and everything is then affected on my end.

My internet pipe is nowhere near filled either, that will never be the issue. There servers would die before they would tax out our individual modern broadband specs. However more things on the screen lags HW on our end, week HW will force a slide show on our ends. Not because of the network traffic being passed between server and client, but our proc/gpu trying to keep up with all of that and mostly processor in GW2’s case.

Posted by: Rei.2610

Rei.2610

What counts as low population server?
The 18 servers that say very high or the 6 just say high?

I gave up on ever crafting a Legendary. Best decision ever.

Horrorscope.7632

Because when low pop servers have overflow issues, it can then be considered conceivable that guesting isn’t the biggest issue. By putting such a large carrot on these bosses is forcing a lot of players on their own servers to run the same content at the same time as everyone else. So now instead of 30 zones, PvP, Dungeons to spread everyone out (and give the perception of a ghost town) you are linking a time to 20 specific areas in the entire game, where a lot of people from said server are going to.

The little trolll champion has always gathered a nice little crowed in Queensdale for no loot reasoning. Now we have what is considered uber loot by GW2 standards on a limited number of bosses. Not surprising the min/max’ers are feasting this for all it is worth.

Posted by: Lyenyo.2891

Lyenyo.2891

Instead of Anet staff coming into this thread to point and tell us we’re wrong, how about actually addressing the issue at hand and tell us what you are doing to fix this?

This current ‘solution’ is nothing more than a blind quick fix.

Horrorscope.7632

What counts as low population server?
The 18 servers that say very high or the 6 just say high?

High then is lower than Very High. We’ll everyone can’t be guesting on every server at the same time now, right? If everyone is having overflow issues, then can it really be guesting?

Edge.4180

Nope, I’m being honest. People are telling others… “Go back to your server, stay off mine.”. No player owns the servers, it’s a choice like any choice in life, we all just need to deal with it. That is how I read “Go back…”, sorry.

Anet has given us the option to move as we like within their parameters. Anyone on any server has the same right to be there as the next.

What other mmo’s do is irrelevant, this is the parameters we have in GW2. Several other recent mmo’s are going with mega-servers, meaning one server with instance overflows. That way there is no “This is my server”, I would have preferred GW2 just do that, but I think WvWvW is the reason why we have different servers to fight for, which from reading that hasn’t seemed to be a huge hit. GW1 worked of the mega-server ideal.

Consider that these large boss events are resources with a limited number of uses. And people are temporarily hopping from the server community (Server-A) they originally chose to represent in order to use resources on another server (Server-B). And, in the process, they are making it difficult for people who call Server-B “home” to enjoy those resources that are a part of that server.

It is no more frustrating than having to compete for crafting resource nodes, which was intentionally done away with in this game. And yet here we are now, all trying to out-camp one another to get a shot at a particular resource, competing for the kill – that’s pretty far from the whole cooperation mechanic this game was built around, where you’re supposed to be glad to see other players in the world around you. These recent changes have caused us to lose something important.

So, people say “Go back to your server, stay off mine.” Sure, they may be nicer ways for them to word it but they’re all going to mean the same thing. Either exploit the resources on your own server, or make another server your home and exploit the resources there. But don’t expect to have a foot in both at the same time just so you can have your cake and eat it too, all at the cost of denying someone else a slice, and expect them not to be upset about it.

Simple truth is, people don’t want to wait for the events on their own chosen server to roll around, and (as is often the sad case) are all too willing to take steps to save time even if it means wasting someone elses time.

(edited by Edge.4180)

Horrorscope.7632

I’m sure most servers are capable if filling a dragon event map with their own population, so guests are just forcing home-server players into overflow and making them lose out on the event. Even without guesting, the home-server crowds on most servers would fill the map and cause the same lag. This wasn’t happening 2 weeks ago because the rewards were usually bad. With better rewards, everyone wants to get the chests.

Prior to guesting, Lions Arch the central hub but even more importantly the place to gather for Fractals has put all servers LA’s into overflow, correct? This is the same idea, instead of Fractals and the mob it generated being the hot thing, chasing 20 bosses for rares now the in thing and surprise, overflows are happening.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Let’s be clear about a few things.
1) you cannot get extra chests by doing events on other servers.
2) When everyone on your server tries to enter the same map, you are going to get an overflow on high and even medium population servers. Eg. Lion’s Arch, Karka event.
3) Overflows are now prominent for world events because everyone and their uncles are all trying to enter the same map at the same time. This is to be expected, and has little to do with guesting because guests only makes up a very small percentage of the people on your server.

Guesting is not the problem. The problem is everyone -native- to a given server are all watching dragon timers and all entering the same zones at the same time to get buffed loots.

A suggestion that would help:
Remove all guild missions from areas that have world events.

I tend to agree that guesting itself is not the issue with the boss events. Once they fixed the extra chests bug all motivation to guest on other servers is removed. I mean, why not save yourself the trouble and do it on your server. The only incentive I see with guesting beyond playing with friends is to play on a high-pop server with people active in all the zones. I don’t understand at all those people reporting new overflows on low-med pop servers. The only possible reason would players from high-pop servers making an exodus to escape the number of people at the event on their servers. That doesn’t really seem tenable.

I suppose it could be a problem related to the implementation of guesting. I do know that culling went through the roof with the guesting patch. There may be other negative effects as well.

Posted by: Bammit.4796

Bammit.4796

So…

I haven’t seen Good Ol’ Claw in over a week – pushed to overflow every attempt.
Every day, multiple times a day, tried mornings and evenings.
I’ve tried showing up 2 hours early.

So I’m giving up I guess. I’ll just pretend I’m in the matrix and actually there is no Claw.

>.<

Horrorscope.7632

Consider that these large boss events are resources with a limited number of uses. And people are temporarily hopping from the server community (Server-A) they originally chose to represent in order to use resources on another server (Server-B). And, in the process, they are making it difficult for people who call Server-B “home” to enjoy those resources that are a part of that server.

Snipped to save space…

But then it falls into “What are you really going to do about it?”. It is out of our control, we can let Anet know but I feel when we start telling others what they should or shouldn’t be doing, that starts to draw a line in the sand that could get ugly. That isn’t going to work, this will be up to Anet to fix, the fix if we keep our lust for absolute maximizing loot potential is to reduce the loot back to a point that no one cares about killing the boss, that isn’t a win either. Face it the engine design can’t handle everyone wanting to do the same thing at the same time regardless of guesting, no mmo has been able to handle that.

I still live with one can do the run on the overflow server. If it messes up a person living off of server timers, oh wells. If you are average joe like me, just wanting to do it as part of the evening… then you aren’t tracking timers and you may be in an overflow that is queuing faster than your home server, it would be like 50-50 which one is more opportune for you.

You use people don’t want to wait, I say some are that way. The thing is there are 100 thousand people on a server, it doesn’t take but 50, 100, 200 to be at the same place at the same time to cause issues. So lets say it is 250 that are circulating these bosses on a timer, that can ruin one’s experience, that can be all home server people that 250 doesn’t constitute close to everyone.

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

I bet this gets merged somewhere but the best solution to guesting I’ve seen is that you actually need to be a guest. Someone from that server has to actually invite you there. I mean, isn’t that what guesting is supposed to be about anyway?

Nope, you don’t have to know anyone to guest on any server. I guest on Tarnished Coast and don’t know not one player on there.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

There are no dead servers where these world events are concerned. Let me reiterate, I’m on one of the lower population servers, Fergusen’s Crossing, and it still has this overflow issue.

People ARE guesting to camp world bosses. The potential rewards for these world bosses are too enticing for some people. Anyone who thinks this is not happening does not fully understand the problem. It appears this problem is occuring on just about every server out there, both low and high populated servers.

They fixed the extra chests bug and there is now no incentive whatsoever to camp boss events on any other server besides your own. All players cannot be on all servers causing problems everywhere, right? And, guesting being the problem just makes no sense when considering boss events.

It certainly can be due to more people attending boss events with the increased loot. That’s feasible. Personally, I don’t understand the allure as I could get more rares farming Orr than boss events. And, it was a random mob in an Orr event that gave me my first precursor. I suppose the famished would go anywhere for a meal.

Horrorscope.7632

Personally, I don’t understand the allure as I could get more rares farming Orr than boss events.

That is yet another solid point. It’s not that hard to get a rare running events in Orr. Perhaps this boss farming is something easy for many to figure out and there is safety in numbers. So far my best spurts of gold /hr are still from Orr, there you go for qty vs quality. To me it seems qty at this point is a little better in payback, there are plenty of possible quality drops in that qty.

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/JQ-Tequatal-Finally-Crashed-Server/first#post1574582

“Together with all the reports of guesting causing massive lag issues on Meta events”
If guests are creating lag, it stands to reason they are also the reason for overflow.

Really? first you people complain about low pop servers not having a lot of people for the events and now you are complaining about guesting that brings in more players to help with events? Pathetic.. They just can’t make you people happy can they… rolls eyes…

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

The reason for getting sent to overflow has very little to do with guesting.

Sure, guests make up a -small- part of the population problem, but the real issue at hand is that now everyone on a server are jumping into the same map at the same time because everyone wants to do world events now.

If this is really a problem for you, either guest in- or move to- a low population server.

Problem solved.

Your assertion is provably false. Tarnished Coast is like a shanty town full of refugees from other crappier servers. Is a big part of our Overflow problem caused by our own crappy event-camping kitten who stand around waiting for bosses to spawn without contributing anything else to the zone? Yes! Are a lot of those crappy event-camping kitten from other servers? Yes! The problem is not caused exclusively by Guests, but it is demonstrably inflated by them.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Just do away with the event timers make them random, then sit back and watch the whines from the ones who contniually guest around for events.. forcing home server players to fall into overflows. It may be one chest per day… but its per character so thats a nice stockpile of rares / ectos/gold etc in a weeks worth of guesting.
So whilst it is not THE issue, its a mighty big part of it for sure.
But I dont’t blame the players, its there to be exploited by the very nature of the games design, ANET wont comment on it so it must be the way they intended it to be.
They obviously felt so compelled to throw out guaranteed loot in order to quieten down the kittens who were unhappy that they could not get enough Ecto’s in a 30minutes farming dragons or running Orr tunnel etc.. so like so many things they have already done in this game they implement something so far the other way in extremes they failed to comprehend the adverse effects it would have … So imo the best thing that can happen is they make the events randomly spawn across servers/maps and get rid of the egg timer campers and egg timer guesting… simples!

(edited by Bloodstealer.5978)

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

They fixed the extra chests bug and there is now no incentive whatsoever to camp boss events on any other server besides your own. All players cannot be on all servers causing problems everywhere, right? And, guesting being the problem just makes no sense when considering boss events.

It certainly can be due to more people attending boss events with the increased loot. That’s feasible. Personally, I don’t understand the allure as I could get more rares farming Orr than boss events. And, it was a random mob in an Orr event that gave me my first precursor. I suppose the famished would go anywhere for a meal.

Time.

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Why is this event so important? Is it because people want Final Rest? Otherwise I can’t see what drops from this that you couldn’t get more quickly and easily with gold or karma.

Posted by: laharl.8435

laharl.8435

Because when low pop servers have overflow issues, it can then be considered conceivable that guesting isn’t the biggest issue. By putting such a large carrot on these bosses is forcing a lot of players on their own servers to run the same content at the same time as everyone else. So now instead of 30 zones, PvP, Dungeons to spread everyone out (and give the perception of a ghost town) you are linking a time to 20 specific areas in the entire game, where a lot of people from said server are going to.

The fact that lower pop servers are getting overflows can also be partly blamed on guesting. By putting such a large carrot on these bosses is forcing a lot of players on all servers to run the same content at the same time as everyone else on whichever server has a dragon. So now instead many servers to spread everyone out, you are linking a time to a few specific servers in the entire game, where a lot of people from other servers are going to.

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Just let them farm how many dragon they want in a day. Why all the limitations in this game geez. It used to be better when the game allowed more freedom to its players.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: Heijincks.9267

Heijincks.9267

I say it’s split 50/50.

Due to rendering, we can’t tell how many players are actually there at the event, and it’s definitely a lot more than what you see on screen, so a survey of asking “So who here is a guest?” is pretty inconclusive. Given that an account can only guest twice a day PER character, no one could jump servers that easily.

Assuming that half of the world event farmers guest, then yeah, half the people there are native, the other half are tourists. Of course this is a statistic that’s made up. It could still be mostly guests (if GW2 is filled with that many farmers), or it could mostly be natives that were dispersed from the many instances made of FoTM.

(edited by Heijincks.9267)

Edge.4180

There, what.. 24 U.S. servers? If just two players from each U.S. server guest over to another U.S. server for a particular event, that’s nearly 50 characters occupying space at a particular event.

It’s not difficult for guesting to cause problems quickly.

Horrorscope.7632

The fact that lower pop servers are getting overflows can also be partly blamed on guesting. By putting such a large carrot on these bosses is forcing a lot of players on all servers to run the same content at the same time as everyone else on whichever server has a dragon. So now instead many servers to spread everyone out, you are linking a time to a few specific servers in the entire game, where a lot of people from other servers are going to.

That is true to. But it really doesn’t take many to make the area unplayable for most. 200 people in one area at the same time isn’t a lot of people in general compared to a servers pop on any server. If there were no guesting, it would still be an issue. As suggested having there be no gain to run this on 3 servers and alts squashes this issue like right now. I suspect continuous changes until that is primarily what you have. One chest from each boss per day account wide/all servers. If will still be heavier then prior to all of this, because before most of these bosses had little real loot value to run them at all. People will still want to get their daily boss runs in now, that will still cause a lot more traffic than usual.

Horrorscope.7632

There, what.. 24 U.S. servers? If just two players from each U.S. server guest over to another U.S. server for a particular event, that’s nearly 50 characters occupying space at a particular event.

Good point, the comeback is 50 people isn’t much and any server with a timed boss can easily generate that and put many into an overflow, guesting or not. So net result is the same… RAGE!

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

The reason for getting sent to overflow has very little to do with guesting.

Sure, guests make up a -small- part of the population problem, but the real issue at hand is that now everyone on a server are jumping into the same map at the same time because everyone wants to do world events now.

If this is really a problem for you, either guest in- or move to- a low population server.

Problem solved.

Actually the real problem, isn’t guesting at all, its that they fixed the loot on certain chests and only certain chests, the rest of the game’s loot tables are still horrible, so now everyone is trying to get some nice stuff which is over loading the servers….

It really does show how bad the loot is in this game, to force people to guest just to get some nice stuff..

Anet need to fix all the loot tables and areas then you’d see a decrease in the need to guest to world events..

Posted by: Pavel.6840

Pavel.6840

I completed the pre-event to the shatterer, and my game disconnected. NBD, this happens from time to time, and I’m not going to rage….

Until I’m locked out of the shatterer because I get thrown to the overflow.

It’s simple – one chest a day per character, no questions asked. Not per server, per character.

Problem solved.

Those of you who think this was a problem before the update are mistaken, I have never been put in an overflow (sans LA) ever.

Edge.4180

Good point, the comeback is 50 people isn’t much and any server with a timed boss can easily generate that and put many into an overflow, guesting or not. So net result is the same… RAGE!

50 people scattered around a server aren’t much. 50 people all in the same zone and at the same event.. is quite a bit. And if it leads to 50 people who reside on that server ending up in overflow, that’s 50 more complaints you have showing up on the forum.

Horrorscope.7632

50 people scattered around a server aren’t much. 50 people all in the same zone and at the same event.. is quite a bit. And if it leads to 50 people who reside on that server ending up in overflow, that’s 50 more complaints you have showing up on the forum.

Right and if guesting is a problem, it won’t be the only one and probably not the one that kicks off overflowing anyway. Putting a timed event in a place with good loot, is attractive enough for native players. My best answer is don’t be the person where timers are a big deal and then overflow isn’t really an issue.

Posted by: FateZero.8536

FateZero.8536

To educate myself. What is the big deal/difference if you do it in your home server or in overflow? Leaving out the obvious, you didn’t do it on your home server, but what else is different? For all the complaining there must be something more. So far I haven’t noticed no real difference playing in either. I get proper credit, same loot etc.

This may not all have to do with guesting either. I’m on a server that isn’t one that is well known here where people flock to and we now have overflows on standard zones. What looks to have happened, is we are now seeing how many people were pent up in fractals for several months because of better loot there, now they see better loot in the open world and the turtle boys are now back outside again, so those players are now in zones vs fractal instances. Boom overflow.

There is no doubt a large base of players will go where the best loot can be had with minimal time. The next Anet trick is to figure out how to balance the perception that loot/time is equal in all phases of the game. Then at that time you can see what content people like vs another. Every mmo struggles with this, even 5+ years in.

You definitely need more education. Overflow event timers aren’t the same as the actual map. You expect players to wait there indefinitely for an event to spawn? Get real. Guesters who are here just for the fast event loot should just gtfo.

(edited by FateZero.8536)

Posted by: Naylen.9852

Naylen.9852

There needs to be a fix for this, I can not chase events trying not to get sent to overflow. I have many things to do and the game helps me unwind and have some fun. No fun …guess need a new game.

Posted by: vince.5937

vince.5937

Said it before: No chests for guester. What’s that? Your home server doesn’t have the population to finish a dragon fight?

1. Dynamic world events, even Group boss events, scale to the number of players nearby. You’ll be fine.
2. Your server isn’t populated because you’re not there.

Server residents over guests. Anyone that says otherwise is using the guesting system to work the chest rewards in their favor.

vince.5937 — Tarnished Coast — Les Saintes
R.I.P. City of Heroes, 2004-2012
Long Live Atlas Park 33

Posted by: Tidbit.9352

Tidbit.9352

This situation if very frustrating. I just came back to check out the new patch and I can’t even do any of the major events because anytime I zone into a location where an event is about to start I get thrown into an overflow sever. Good luck doing a dragon event unless you plan on getting to the zone and waiting for an hour. It wasn’t like this a few months ago.

I also read the post on here about looting the same chest from the same event on the same day on multiple servers. How does this seem like a good idea to arenanet?

I really hope they do something to give people priority on their home server, or just change the number of guest servers from 2 per day to unlimited and let anyone go to any server at anytime to at least participate in events.

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

This situation is very similar to what happened in Rift. Large zone event rewards were terrible, so no one ever did them (except a few, like my GF and I) As soon as Trion upped the rewards, zones were swamped for events, laggy, but at least they were worth it. This is the same thing, except limits on number of people per zone + guesting is screwing over lots and lots of people.

1) Increase the number per zone back up, I don’t care if is laggy or not

2) Disallow the looting of chests while guesting until a better solution can be found

All I know is it is a kitten good thing I’m not paying a subscription because it would of been cancelled. Not being able to do events on MY HOME WORLD is absolutely ridiculous.

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

When people are being forced to play the game in a reductive way as the developers want us to, features become problematic. -_-

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Edge.4180

Honestly, while I doubt anyone would agree with this and it would never happen in a million years, I’d love it if they just completely removed chest rewards from these events altogether. Make the events lock down a portion of the map and then players who are actually adventuring in these zones will have a reason to band together and beat these bosses, no loot-carrot-on-a-stick required.

I would love to see these world events entertaining only a fraction of the crowds they attract now (who are there for all the wrong reasons). Quality over quantity every time.

You know, during GW2’s development I used to watch the Shatterer event videos and the furthest thing from my mind whenever I watched the footage was the question of how many times I could farm him a day for rare drops. This whole loot pinata thing is just ruining the entire sense of adventure this game was supposed to have.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

It comes down to this question do you want Lag or do you want Overflow? This is just the truth of online games that beyond getting the very best web and best pc will never truly be fixed on all games.

Guesting is not the only thing causing it if your in a high pop server you can get pushed out by ppl in your own world OR they will cause lag to the point of being unplayable.

A fix i think would be to leave the cap as is but add in where the overflow is at the same point of the start of the event but i can see this being exploited by having ppl make overflows just to redo the boss over and over. So i am not comply sure how to fix things.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Silver Halliwell.4735

Silver Halliwell.4735

Getting really effin old really effing fast. I have 3 hours from when I get home to when I have to go to bed and I can’t complete my daily dragons because of guesting.

Posted by: Masamoon.3864

Masamoon.3864

Simple solution:

People native to the server take priority into getting into zones, guests shouldn’t be taking up native space just to try to get a chest.

Sanghae, legends can be true.

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

I’m sure it’s a bug that guesting gives you another chest. Once that bug is fixed, this won’t be an issue anymore.

Though until then it sure is annoying. But don’t implement a change in mechanics to fix a bug, just fix the bug.

Posted by: Silver Halliwell.4735

Silver Halliwell.4735

I’m sure it’s a bug that guesting gives you another chest. Once that bug is fixed, this won’t be an issue anymore.

Though until then it sure is annoying. But don’t implement a change in mechanics to fix a bug, just fix the bug.

If people are jumping servers to get a second chest they need to be perma banned. It is a clear exploit and no way you could say…oh I thought that was what they intended guesting for.

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

Limit the world chest to 1 per day per character regardless of server. Boom, solved because people won’t go guest to kill a world boss if they get no loot for it. This makes it so people only guest to play with their friends on other servers and not doing it just for the loot.

I’m pretty sure they already did that. It was possible for like a day or two and then they took it out.

Yet that seems to be the best solution.

I’m lost now. How can it be the best solution if it’s already implemented and didn’t work?

Read again the post by Arisal that you quoted. That is the solution I was talking about. You said they took it out because it didn’t work, well, if it didn’t work to begin with then the developers must have done something wrong.
It can’t be that hard to put an all-servers global “chest already looted” marker on a character.

If character Tom has already looted from Tequatl’s chest on his home server, he shouldn’t be able to do it again on a guest server for the rest of the day.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

(edited by Hermes.7014)

Horrorscope.7632

You definitely need more education. Overflow event timers aren’t the same as the actual map. You expect players to wait there indefinitely for an event to spawn? Get real. Guesters should just gtfo.

Well not an education since I know that. I really suspect people to play the game and not camp a boss on a timer, that is cheeze game play. I doubt that is intended.

Posted by: ley.8973

ley.8973

Overflow is just a symptom. The whole problem is caused chiefly by people abusing the predictable timers of bosses, using third party websites to calculate the next spawn time. Predictability + better loot = overcrowding => overflow. Whole crowds of people appear out of thin air and camp the spawn point right before the spawn window opens; and even if you are crafty enough to avoid the overflow, the fight is over so fast you may be lucky to get your participation registered at all.

I’d say, just randomize the spawning times and make them less often. Bosses should be a rare encounter anyway… something you stumble upon by random, not something you camp and gank bi-hourly. I remember when Behemoth was bugged on our server, appearing like twice a month or so… but when he finally appeared, it was THE event. Today, though? Just a generic loot piñata that appears once every two and half hours.

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

Overflow is just a symptom. The whole problem is caused chiefly by people abusing the predictable timers of bosses, using third party websites to calculate the next spawn time. Predictability + better loot = overcrowding => overflow. Whole crowds of people appear out of thin air and camp the spawn point right before the spawn window opens; and even if you are crafty enough to avoid the overflow, the fight is over so fast you may be lucky to get your participation registered at all.

I’d say, just randomize the spawning times and make them less often. Bosses should be a rare encounter anyway… something you stumble upon by random, not something you camp and gank bi-hourly. I remember when Behemoth was bugged on our server, appearing like twice a month or so… but when he finally appeared, it was THE event. Today, though? Just a generic loot piñata that appears once every two and half hours.

Random spawn timers? You really want people to camp the places all day so that they can obtain a some yellow drop? No thanks. I’ve had enough of camping mob spawns in FFXI, and that was the most annoying, frustrating thing I’ve ever experienced in a game.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

Posted by: Lady Sinaea.7043

Lady Sinaea.7043

My GW1 guild and alliance chose a GW2 server before launch, and we stayed there. I have never switched away from Stormbluff Isle or even guested. I’ve been pretty happy where I am, WvWvW drama and all.

Until now.

I can’t get into world events on my own server. I was in overflow every time I tried to log into Sparkfly Fen last night, even when Tequatl was NOT due to spawn any time soon.

If guesting is, in fact, what is causing the overpoulation problem, then perhaps guests can be placed into overflow? Either that or really limit the once-per-day-per-character for real. I quite like the loot changes and I am totally fine with not being able to farm dragons over and over anymore.

Lady Sinaea
co-host of the original GuildCast
http://www.twitch.tv/sinaea

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

I’ve said the same thing before Iey, randomizing the spawn times would help.

Posted by: Midnight Gypsy.9360

Midnight Gypsy.9360

I dont think guests should be pushed into overflow, as it would interfere with the reason for guesting. It should be invite only to keep friends playing with each other. They have to stay with the person that invited you and that server has to be home for the person inviting. There could also be limits on how many times someone can change servers per day. I don’t see a need for someone that wants to play with friends to have to jump servers everyday more than once or twice. I like these ideas bc they limit server farming and it keeps the main purpose of gusting as intend. There are some other good ideas, but pushing guests to overflow stops them from farming on the servers but does nothing to stop server farming. That is not what guesting is intended for.

I don’t think friends who do want to play together that have guests would like it if being on their own home server had to go to overflow to be with them. It would favor people who don’t have guests unfairly, and friends who do want to play together should not be punished for people who want to farm servers.

(edited by Midnight Gypsy.9360)