Guild Wars 2 April fools 2015 [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Saeri.4576

Saeri.4576

But if they don’t whine, you can’t whine about them, and then I couldn’t have written this post about you whining about their whining. So in the end everybody loses.

(And, a disable option? So if someone does something that is offensive to you, you just tune them out and despite you knowing this is happening, you really, honestly aren’t going to care?)

This’ll all blow over and we will get to whine about more important stuff (like SAB).

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

With the broken logic that running around with your hands in the airplane shape is offensive because of the plane crashes that happened these couple weeks, I just have one thing to say. Using your own logic, you should not be allowed to use any melee weapon, especially rifles and pistols, because people around the world are killed daily because of them.

The only 2 weapons that wouldn’t be offensive are magical staffs and focuses because there are been no reported deaths due to these 2 weapons. Enjoy the game, the Anet teams are professionals at making April Fools fun and silly.

denouttaden.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: teh persun.6517

teh persun.6517

It’s either people who are easily offended, or people trying to do a prank. I can’t tell the difference

Posted by: Lefein.5834

Lefein.5834

Please fix. Ill be loging in to check if its has been removed.. wont be doing anyting other than checking… cant stand to play game like this.. bad move arena net for a joke this is more like a hack.. somthing lizard squad would do to make ppl not play.. you just hacked your self arena net are you stupid

kitten , my whole day is ruined now that you won’t be playing.

calling someone “kitten” makes you appear witty, edgy and unique.

+1

Rivercity7142: calling someone “kitten” makes you appear witty, edgy and unique.

Posted by: moonsugar.4793

moonsugar.4793

The more I think about it the angrier I get. People demanding an apology from Anet for this prank claiming they lost loved ones to an airline tragedy. What is wrong with you people??? Why are you gaming when you should be grieving instead? Its like hearing someone say “My grandma died yesterday, think I’ll go to the movies.” The credibility is totally lost.

Azure The Heartless.3261

A “disable” option would make -everyone- happy.

How is that a bad thing?

Because it’s equal to asking for extra dev work for a prank that only has 12(15?) hours left live.

It’s a stupid request.

Just wait it out. It isnt permanent. and it would take them that long to rebuild the UI for a feature that would be nonexistent by the time they got finished.

Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: Eight Samurai.6840

Eight Samurai.6840

Here’s the thing:

I agree with OP. Getting mad about this is like getting mad at a kid playing cops and robbers because your family member was a cop that died in the line of duty or something. Its absurd.

That being said, we have to stay away from the whole “you kill people every day in this game” argument as well since, no we really don’t. Death in this game and others like it are not permanent and just by that one facet, it changes our perception of our actions in the game. It lessens the severity of it simply because we know it isn’t permanent. With no real consequence we are freed to act as sociopaths (right down to slaughtering waves of bunnies and armadillos, etc) since we know in 5 minutes they will be back. Even our own deaths are mitigated with a quick double click or another player coming along to grope us for a few seconds.

Okay fine, let’s put this same logic into the April Fools joke too then. You are saying that murdering people/npcs in this game isn’t offensive because it is only temporary. That being said, in about 12 hours from now all of our bodies will be back to normal in game which would mean it is also temporary. Therefore, no need to get offended.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

This is a PRANK, what prank has a button to turn it off?

lol! exactly! XD!!

Well, theres a difference between a prank and a joke. Ones mean spirited the other isnt(if it becomes mean then its not really a joke) .

My previous boyfriend thought it would be funny if he pranked me on April fools day last year, by pretending to be on the outskirts of town. Thats mean. Not funny. thats a prank, not a joke.

This is a joke though! and even i will admit it was funny, for awhile, but as with most jokes, it got old and boring after a time and i wanted to turn it off!

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

It’s not like we have 200 similar threads with also similar arguments already.

We need MOAR!

Agreed.

It’s dumb that this conversation is even happening. The backlash has been more obnoxious than the original complaints. Request that moderators merge all threads regarding April Fools’ and lock after a few more hours.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Lefein.5834

Lefein.5834

Giving us a button to tag other players with this affect like a benign debuff would have been the more fun idea. Having it last a few minutes. This is just over the top.~~

Rivercity7142: calling someone “kitten” makes you appear witty, edgy and unique.

(edited by Lefein.5834)

Eight Samurai.6840

With the broken logic that running around with your hands in the airplane shape is offensive because of the plane crashes that happened these couple weeks, I just have one thing to say. Using your own logic, you should not be allowed to use any melee weapon, especially rifles and pistols, because people around the world are killed daily because of them.

The only 2 weapons that wouldn’t be offensive are magical staffs and focuses because there are been no reported deaths due to these 2 weapons. Enjoy the game, the Anet teams are professionals at making April Fools fun and silly.

denouttaden.

Also, what the hell did you just call me?!?!?!

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

Tragedies happen everyday you can relate any tragedy to video game content. It’s just that the media decided to cover the plane tragedy extensively that everyone knows about it. I don’t know how you people get by in your daily lives if something that lasts a day in a video game provokes anger out of you

When 9/11 happened, Konami reworked the entire ending sequence of Metal Gear Solid 2 to avoid references to the Twin Towers.

A week after a mass murder by airplane, Anet could have not had an April fools where you get victory music for crashing and dying.

Timing is a key part of comedy, but it seems Anet have no understanding of timing, nor tact.

A lot of their white knights here on the forums appear to have no understanding of empathy either.

If you had empathy you wouldn’t be associating a joke about a bug from the beta to a plane crash that you will have forgotten about in 2 or 3 weeks.

You don’t know what empathy is, do you?

Posted by: greflin.6105

greflin.6105

Complaining, about the complainers complaining about the complainers. This is so deep. Super meta.

Posted by: teh persun.6517

teh persun.6517

This is escalating very quickly. We’ve already reached Human Rights and stuff..

Is this really a games forum? Or is this all a big joke? Heh.

to the tune of Bohemian Rhapsody
Caught in a flame war, with no escape from the smoke

Azure The Heartless.3261

denouttaden.

Also, what the hell did you just call me?!?!?!

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/mrWji8AUcUM/mqdefault.jpg

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

The more I think about it the angrier I get. People demanding an apology from Anet for this prank claiming they lost loved ones to an airline tragedy. What is wrong with you people??? Why are you gaming when you should be grieving instead? Its like hearing someone say “My grandma died yesterday, think I’ll go to the movies.” The credibility is totally lost.

I don’t agree with all the whining about the April Fool’s joke; that whole thing is ridiculous. But you have absolutely no right to tell someone how they should choose to grieve or cope with grief. When my brother died last year, I played video games as a way to help me get through hard days. I also took my kids to see a movie to cheer us all up when we went back home for his funeral.

Being in mourning does not mean you have to become a shut-in who doesn’t participate in social activities.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

OP being offend for stupid reasons offends me. Can we stop this tread now and talk about SAB again?

SAB or RIOT

Andred.1087

I can’t even believe what I’m reading. Sigh… People will always whine I guess.

If you’re mad about this minor annoyance that literally doesn’t inhibit you at all, how about taking a chill pill or two? Like, every day for the next couple months. Because you obviously have a larger problem than this.

Posted by: Valin.4527

Valin.4527

Fun is totally subjective.
My idea of fun is different from someone else’s which is different from others, etc etc…

If people are upset about this they should be contacting ANET directly – not posting on these forums since all that does is create drama and feeds trolls from both sides.

Then again, this is the internet…yay technology, gg

-A man of many Valins [KONG]

Posted by: hardloop von edgehoven.8512

hardloop von edgehoven.8512

can u imagine youre goin to louis c.k. on stage 24h and he s telling the same joke 24h?
ok,
besides i could imagine louis c.k. is willing and able to torture the audience this way (but for sure not himself haha),
when reading all this hypocrite mourning about a relation between a computer char default pose and a real tragedy
(while playing a game 24hours where u fight virtually ennemies to death…sure),
despite the fact im pretty bored about the joke, i demand arenanet to turn on louis c.k. mode and prolong their april joke for the next 2 weeks…

Posted by: Scandi.5693

Scandi.5693

People these days just go out of their way to be offended at things, its silliness. Ah the therapy generation.

Mistress Savant of the Asuran Dominion.

Eight Samurai.6840

Posted by: doctorj.4802

doctorj.4802

Honestly If you are offended by this harmless joke then go find another form of entertainment that is less offensive to you. Sorry, but I don’t want your exaggerated sensitivity getting in the way of simple freedom of speech and light-hearted humor.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i like the old style part, i just made a captain america character and this fits really well, all i need is some electro swing and i am off to fight crime.
however, the plane is getting dull, to a point that it’s ruining the time i have playing the game.

so for me, i know it’s an april fools joke but it’s bin fun, stop while it’s still funny.

Posted by: umskiptar.5641

umskiptar.5641

I don’t come here often. I just want to know what all this “kitten” talk is about….

Posted by: Azala Yar.7693

Azala Yar.7693

Tragedies happen everyday you can relate any tragedy to video game content. It’s just that the media decided to cover the plane tragedy extensively that everyone knows about it. I don’t know how you people get by in your daily lives if something that lasts a day in a video game provokes anger out of you

When 9/11 happened, Konami reworked the entire ending sequence of Metal Gear Solid 2 to avoid references to the Twin Towers.

A week after a mass murder by airplane, Anet could have not had an April fools where you get victory music for crashing and dying.

Timing is a key part of comedy, but it seems Anet have no understanding of timing, nor tact.

A lot of their white knights here on the forums appear to have no understanding of empathy either.

If you had empathy you wouldn’t be associating a joke about a bug from the beta to a plane crash that you will have forgotten about in 2 or 3 weeks.

So it shows empathy, making connections where there are none and causing the subject to become a hot topic in these forums?

I think not.

Posted by: Ominous.7583

Ominous.7583

This is really stupid can I put my arms down now ? I would much rather be playing SAB than being an airplane.

-Ironcurtain

Posted by: Bart.5023

Bart.5023

im freaking loving this april joke, thanks for good laugh anet!

XS Bart
Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

And I would much rather have world peace, but that won’t happen either.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Bart.5023

Bart.5023

stop crying its only for 1 day…

XS Bart
Seafarer’s Rest

Eight Samurai.6840

So it shows empathy, making connections where there are none and causing the subject to become a hot topic in these forums?

I think not.

People don’t think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Posted by: Styxx.1564

Styxx.1564

I’d much rather be an airplane than a humorless bitter and angry person.

Posted by: PirateSpice.8735

PirateSpice.8735

A “disable” option would make -everyone- happy.

How is that a bad thing?

Because it’s equal to asking for extra dev work for a prank that only has 12(15?) hours left live.

It’s a stupid request.

Just wait it out. It isnt permanent. and it would take them that long to rebuild the UI for a feature that would be nonexistent by the time they got finished.

It’s not a stupid request. I’m sure nobody expects it to be done this year. If they do, you’re right, it’s unrealistic. But since ArenaNet has a history of this kind of prank, it’s likely they’ll do this type of thing again next year. What people want is some consideration in the future, which really isn’t too much to ask.

Posted by: Niko.8901

Niko.8901

Did they say when the April Fools joke is over? Is it just 1 day? Please make it just be for 1 day.

Otto Maggic ~Toasty
(sorry, I don’t give much wxp)

Posted by: joe.7684

joe.7684

Interesting that the apology was posted in German (on the German forum) but there’s been no similar statement in the English-language forums. (And I say this as someone who sees nothing wrong with this April Fool’s and thinks that some people are just being extraordinarily oversensitive.)

Ominous.7583

Ya I know its only for 1 day it’s just a lame joke it’s really not all that funny once the novelty wears off in like 5 seconds it would of been way more awesome if they at least played along with the whole SAB or Riot thing and made rata sum on fire and everything in ratasum hostile towards all players that would of been funny. Bobbleheads made me laugh histerically airplanes are just stupid.

-Ironcurtain

Posted by: Deaths Sensei.5317

Deaths Sensei.5317

are you crazy? the airplane/aviator thing is amazing and had me LOL’ing forever, i hope they leave an option to enable it whenever we want, its funnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Eight Samurai.6840

Did they say when the April Fools joke is over? Is it just 1 day? Please make it just be for 1 day.

Nah I’m pretty sure April Fools Day last for about a month, but I could be wrong. Can I get a verification on this??

Posted by: Magnuzone.8395

Magnuzone.8395

Nice one Anet.
=)
Love it

Ominous.7583

No im just bored and would like the option to turn off the joke since Im not really enjoying it all that much :/

-Ironcurtain

Posted by: Styxx.1564

Styxx.1564

Well…….

Take a break? Only a few hours left.

lordkrall.7241

It’s not a stupid request. I’m sure nobody expects it to be done this year. If they do, you’re right, it’s unrealistic. But since ArenaNet has a history of this kind of prank, it’s likely they’ll do this type of thing again next year. What people want is some consideration in the future, which really isn’t too much to ask.

But why waste the time to program something like that for things that will only ever be available for a single day?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Andred.1087

Interesting that the apology was posted in German (on the German forum) but there’s been no similar statement in the English-language forums. (And I say this as someone who sees nothing wrong with this April Fool’s and thinks that some people are just being extraordinarily oversensitive.)

What? You mean, on the forum where the only people even affected by the plane crash might be?

Also, I hope when you say “some people are just being extraordinarily oversensitive” you aren’t referring to those who had friends/family on that plane. Because from where I’m standing, the oversensitive people are the reddit meme-lords who thought it appropriate to make 100 threads complaining about the 5 threads complaining about the joke.

Posted by: Pyriel.4370

Pyriel.4370

It was funny but in bad taste considering Germany’s recent crash.

C’mon Anet, you shoulda known better.

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

Bobbleheads made me laugh histerically airplanes are just stupid.

Airplane mode made me laugh histerically while bobbleheads were just stupid…

See what I did there?? Everyone has their own opinion.. Can’t please everyone

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

turn off sound from character, turn off post processing, go into first person view. Normal is returned.

Eight Samurai.6840

But why waste the time to program something like that for things that will only ever be available for a single day?

Because it’s April Fools and guild wars ALWAYS does something to celebrate it. And just like last year’s bobblehead laboratory, we will more than likely be able to buy something on the gem store that can simulate the airplane whenever we want

lordkrall.7241

It was funny but in bad taste considering Germany’s recent crash.

C’mon Anet, you shoulda known better.

This event was planned and developed for months. It is not something they decided to do a week ago.

There are always things that happens around the globe. Does that mean they should never be allowed to release anything?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

I dont even know why im going to bother responding to you. but really its not that hard to write a button that simply “Turns off” the event when pressed(Assuming that their coders have any experience with the programs, etc they use), at least from my admittedly very small time spent trying out flash games, it was one of the first things i got taught back when i was taking a video game design class…

Thank god they merged all the threads, maybe the forums can go back to the normal whining now!

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.