Guild Wars 2 April fools 2015 [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Leming.8436

Leming.8436

Prank would be okay for everybody if effect would work onyly in towns, its very annoying for most to watch this “lame” animation over and over agin with annoying VROOOOM VRRRR OOOMMMW OAWIDJAAJWDAIDJWWWWRRRRRIEEEE for more than 5 minutes, on exploartions/dungeons
Sephia and death music is awesome though, i like this ones.

Posted by: Pyriel.4370

Pyriel.4370

Simply put, Anet cannot be expected to know every tragedy that happens in regards to small local accidents but this one was blatantly in the news and it is insensitive to Europeans.

So suddenly because car accidents happen it is fine to be insensitive towards Europeans who might be affected by the plane crash and subsequent witch hunt over depressed people.

Is it so hard to admit the plane thing is a bit in bad taste or a little too soon?

But what about those people getting shot at basically EVERY SINGLE DAY? Isn’t it in that case also bad taste to have guns in the game?

Or the cities being bombed around the time Scarlet destroyed Lion’s Arch?

A tragedy is a tragedy no matter how much or how little it is talked about on the news. The fact that the news care more about certain type of tragedies than others doesn’t mean those tragedies are worse.

I edited my comment and added something to this effect:

Would this have happened a few days after 9/11? Probably not. It would have been insensitive.

Or would it have been fine because people die everyday? :/

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

GW1 is re-running its Terminator quests to save Gwen from a rampaging golem in the past.

Much more fun

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

You need to make up your mind. You’re claiming in previous posts that they’ve spent “months” developing this prank; if you’re correct (which you’re not), it would have been a very small aspect of that to make a simple function to reverse the actions. It’s also not a waste of time to take a bit of consideration for those members of your player base that can’t get on every day out of 365. Excuse me for not being able to play very often. My mistake.

I said months to PLAN and develop the prank. It is also rather likely that is something that is mainly done on peoples free time, rather than something taking time out of the expansion development. Every minute counts in development.

As said, it is still fully playable, even with this prank. Having a single day every year where something happens that people might not like isn’t a big deal.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: PirateSpice.8735

PirateSpice.8735

Because it’s April Fools and guild wars ALWAYS does something to celebrate it. And just like last year’s bobblehead laboratory, we will more than likely be able to buy something on the gem store that can simulate the airplane whenever we want

I am aware of this. But since it will normally only be available for a single day, it would be a waste of time and resources to build in an manual off-switch. That is all I am saying.

By that logic, it’s an even bigger waste of time and resources to build the prank in the first place. Why is it okay to spend all that energy on the prank to please those that like it, but not to spend far less energy to satisfy those that don’t?

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Would this have happened a few days after 9/11? Probably not. It would have been insensitive.

I am rather certain that they would still have gone ahead with it. Seeing as the prank have a grand total of nothing at all to do with planes crashing into buildings.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

If history is any lesson, even if there was a toggle-off ability, people would still be complaining about the insensitivity of childhood airplane arms in conjunction with the recent crash.

People like to get worked up and protest.

Posted by: Eight Samurai.6840

Eight Samurai.6840

Simply put, Anet cannot be expected to know every tragedy that happens in regards to small local accidents but this one was blatantly in the news and it is insensitive to Europeans.

Is it so hard to admit the plane thing is a bit in bad taste or a little too soon?

Would this have happened after 9/11? Probably not. It would have been insensitive.

Plz tell me that you honestly and truly understand the difference between an airplane crash/terrorist attack, so an innocent child running around pretending to be a plane. I have done this and so have you as well as every single person on the forums here.

The Iraq war has been going on for over a decade, there we used rifles, pistols, bombs, mines, daggers, mortars. Hundred thousand + have died during this war. ALL of the things I just mentioned are in game and not one person made a complaint about it ever. Here we have a single incident of a random plane crash. There is no correlation at all between the prank and the event. If you can’t understand the difference then you need to educate yourself and stop being ignorant.

edited: Sorry Hellworthy, you were right I think I did quote the wrong person fixed it now.

(edited by Eight Samurai.6840)

Posted by: Elizabeth Reed.9173

Elizabeth Reed.9173

Although I’m always up for a good laugh to be forced to laugh ALL DAY LONG is really annoying. I think the devs have really missed the point here. April Fool’s is a joke, in general, ONE JOKE on a person. Please end the joke and be adults. Many people play this game to relax – not to be frustrated. Your joke was a good one. Now let it go please!!!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Would this have happened after 9/11? Probably not. It would have been insensitive.

In other words, it’s only insensitive if it gets a lot of publicity and it’s in the first world? Those deaths in “the small local accidents” which killed as many people but were only briefly mentioned because they were further away from the big new media don’t need to be considered? Why shouldn’t ANet have people keeping tabs on all disasters around the globe, no matter how remote, to make sure their prank doesn’t have a small aspect to it that reminds someone about it?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Lorgus.6148

Lorgus.6148

It’s for one day guys. I’m honestly baffled by how readily people will complain about ANYTHING around here.

Pyriel.4370

I am rather certain that they would still have gone ahead with it. Seeing as the prank have a grand total of nothing at all to do with planes crashing into buildings.

You probably don’t remember much about just after it, nothing even remotely related to plane jokes would be in good taste for a few years after it media wise.

It seems you and I just disagree, which is fine.

Eight Samurai.6840

Because it’s April Fools and guild wars ALWAYS does something to celebrate it. And just like last year’s bobblehead laboratory, we will more than likely be able to buy something on the gem store that can simulate the airplane whenever we want

I am aware of this. But since it will normally only be available for a single day, it would be a waste of time and resources to build in an manual off-switch. That is all I am saying.

By that logic, it’s an even bigger waste of time and resources to build the prank in the first place. Why is it okay to spend all that energy on the prank to please those that like it, but not to spend far less energy to satisfy those that don’t?

Because it is a tradition that Anet has done since GW1 during April Fools, they go all the way. If it’s that big of an issue, go to your options and turn off post processing to remove the old timey look. If the airplane sound is an issue turn off dialogue volume. But the airplane hands are on the house feel free to enjoy that.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

I don’t think many people really understand the idea of April Fools’ Day. Maybe they’ve never played pranks before? Or maybe they’ve only had them played on them and they’re bitter?

April Fool’s pranks are normally very short in duration, not a forced 24 hours. I would imagine anyone that dared to prank someone for a full day would have a lot of heat coming their way as a result. So why is it so surprising that ArenaNet is getting similar heat now?

If you are unhappy about today’s “prank”, then make your complaints here.
If you are happy about today’s “prank”, then please thank ArenaNet here and then go back and enjoy your game. The prank will end tonight. Don’t waste your time beating on other people because they have differing opinions on this topic.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Pyriel.4370

In other words, it’s only insensitive if it gets a lot of publicity and it’s in the first world? Those deaths in “the small local accidents” which killed as many people but were only briefly mentioned because they were further away from the big new media don’t need to be considered? Why shouldn’t ANet have people keeping tabs on all disasters around the globe, no matter how remote, to make sure their prank doesn’t have a small aspect to it that reminds someone about it?

I am not measuring on toll or anything like that.

I am just stating that it isn’t something that was just in the local papers and it is still a ‘touchy’ subject regarding the fallout in Europe.

A little more responsibility could be shown that is all I am saying.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

. . . yup, time to give up on this game for good. Not due to ANet, though. I think it’s time to get serious about the whole writing hobby.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Win. The OP is full of it.

Which one? This thread now has around 25 or so OP posts. lol

Posted by: Cuddlebunny.3647

Cuddlebunny.3647

My issue with it is,
one, the screen post processing gave me a headache.
and two, it was just generally annoying.
So I used my toggle function and logged off.
I didn’t make the link with the tragedy in the Alps till I read the comments here, which to me seems a bit of a leap, but I can see why some people may be upset.

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

oke then to sum the “discussion” up.
no statement from a net in the english forums.
the general consensus here seems to be it is no problem those who are “offended” ( i really think offended is the wrong word, i think rather baffled is more like it, at least for me) are stupid, uneducated, unaware, selective, hypocrites //enter your personal term you think “we” are//
it is sad but i think what really happens here is a pure compassionless flamewar.
to state yes it is bad BUT people die all the time, it just a game, you naughty little hypocrite i my country so and so.
really? that is all you are able to answer if people voice their concerns about a “feature” in a game?
well seems i grew too old an touchy for this forum, because i have to say i did not expect the guildwars community to be that callous.
i think i learned my lesson well, do not read the forums or you loose your faith into your “fellow gamers” beeing actual feeling human beeings

PirateSpice.8735

Because it is a tradition that Anet has done since GW1 during April Fools, they go all the way. If it’s that big of an issue, go to your options and turn off post processing to remove the old timey look. If the airplane sound is an issue turn off dialogue volume. But the airplane hands are on the house feel free to enjoy that.

Nah. I’d rather that those that like it be able to enjoy it, and those that dislike it be able to turn it off. I’m one of those that don’t enjoy it. It actually really ruins the immersion for me, and if I didn’t want immersion, I wouldn’t put money into a game designed to look, sound, and feel like a fantasy world.

Celtic Lady.3729

i think i learned my lesson well, do not read the forums or you loose your faith into your “fellow gamers” beeing actual feeling human beeings

Keep in mind that the people that come on here to flame those voicing their concerns politely are a very, very small minority of this game’s population overall. It helps a little at least to remember this.

Posted by: Jwake.7013

Jwake.7013

Thanks A-net for a pretty fun April fools. Looking forward to next years!

Eight Samurai.6840

Nah. I’d rather that those that like it be able to enjoy it, and those that dislike it be able to turn it off. I’m one of those that don’t enjoy it. It actually really ruins the immersion for me, and if I didn’t want immersion, I wouldn’t put money into a game designed to look, sound, and feel like a fantasy world.

As much whining as the forums are showing, believe it or not the people that hate this prank are in the vast minority. Don’t expect the Anet team to change a tradition they had done the last 10 or so years including in GW1 to change just because you and some others don’t like it.

I’ve noticed no matter what anet does to update the game, big or small, there will ALWAYS be complainers.

Posted by: Derez.6510

Derez.6510

I hope no one gets injured by a Volcanus skinned Zojja’s Ascended Claymore in real life.

Because some people might think I was an awful person slicing through GW2’s baddies with my Guardians main weapon. That would hurt my feelings knowing I hurt someone feelings.

Wake up people not everyone is out to hurt your feelings or have a hidden agenda.

And have a great day and a super week!!!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I am not measuring on toll or anything like that.

I am just stating that it isn’t something that was just in the local papers and it is still a ‘touchy’ subject regarding the fallout in Europe.

A little more responsibility could be shown that is all I am saying.

But not so much in the local American press where ANet is?

This means that ANet would have to look outside the US for disasters. A plane crash, which is local to you, is a far away, not local accident, to a business on the US West coast. By your argument, to ANet, it’s a far away, “small local disaster.”. The people in Afghanistan who died, it wasn’t a “small, local disaster” for them and was in their newspaper for a long time, yet you dismiss their tragedy as something that ANet doesn’t need to consider.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

PirateSpice.8735

As much whining as the forums are showing, believe it or not the people that hate this prank are in the vast minority. Don’t expect the Anet team to change a tradition they had done the last 10 or so years including in GW1 to change just because you and some others don’t like it.

I’ll believe it if you can show me some data to demonstrate it.

I’ve noticed no matter what anet does to update the game, big or small, there will ALWAYS be complainers.

This is true. I certainly won’t deny it. But most changes aren’t so in-your-face and impossible to overlook.

I dunno, I just don’t get why Anet wouldn’t want to please everyone*. This is one of the few opportunities they have to do so.

(*Those connecting this to the airplane crashes notwithstanding. I’m not touching that subject with a ten-foot pole. There’s no rational debate to be had over something so emotionally driven.)

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

you guys are aware that there was a plane crash/suicide in europe last week, right?

You are aware that roughly 150,000 people in the world die every single day and as such we can’t cease all humor everywhere every time some one dies, right?

i am aware that it is considered cool to play the delusioned hard guy and throw statistics arround to rationalise the death of people. i really wonder why people have to do this. i am also aware that many people that play mmo´s (judging from my servers TS channel) don´t give a dime for what happens in the real world. but i invite you to reconsider your point.

do i have the right to rationalise the death of people.
do i have to compare the importance of peoples death with one another?
do i have to attack people and call them either names or hypocrites because they stand for what they think are moral standards?
what are my moral standards?

and no i do not need more discussions along the lines, everyone dies, grow a pair, cry some more, they were only frensh/german/spanish.
there has been quit a lot of grief on both sides, as is normal in a forums discussion ( as we are not able to kick each others faces in, what seems to be what quite a lot of people in this forum seem to want) i don`t think either side will “win” anything by flaming each other.
Simply reconsider if you have to attack people as hypocrites for talking about deaths that they might care for just because you do not.

My point is not one of hypocrisy or rationalization. It’s one of common sense and pragmatism. As much as any good person would like to empathize and sympathize for the loss of a life in the world, no one can grieve for everyone. It’s simply too overwhelming. If we had to give pause for all tragedy civilization would come to a grinding halt.

This is not to say that you are weak for being emotionally affected by a recent tragedy. If that event affects you personally, you have my sympathies. And grieving for such a loss is totally reasonable.

What is not reasonable is to expect the rest of the world to stop and do the same. Why should all references to airplanes be stopped? Because an airplane was involved? Should ANet have avoided any references to humans because it was humans that died? Should all references to the ground be avoided because that’s what they crashed into? Should ANet remove gliders from the expansion because they’re too much like airplanes? Should we avoid all references to death because people died?

And why do you even see a connection between what happened and this April Fools? It’s not like players got jet engines on their backs and periodically explode. They just have their arms out with WW1 era aviator hat and goggles. Should all airlines in the world have cancelled all flights for the next month or so because those are airplanes too?

You say everyone knows that people die everyday but that this particular plane crash is somehow special or more significant. Why?

Posted by: Lorgus.6148

Lorgus.6148

Here’s a better list for everyone complaining:
1. Alt+f4

Posted by: Rannith.9068

Rannith.9068

I would like to meet the person who imagined this …I would also like to give him $10 dollars to spend in the wall mart kiddy section.

Posted by: HitmanHaydon.1053

HitmanHaydon.1053

Why the hell is there no option to turn this off?
Terrible idea, logged out after 2-3 minutes, might try tomorrow.
Not even remotely funny, really poorly thought out imo.

Posted by: Merciless.3698

Merciless.3698

you stole my post i had bookmarked https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Guild-Wars-2-April-fools-2015-merged#post4938153 see click it and it takes u here wtf guys

Posted by: Merciless.3698

Merciless.3698

Posted by: Aru.1036

Aru.1036

People finding it offensive are…..I’m at loss here. No comment.

Other thing is that this prank is nothing else as annoying and useless thing. I’ve heard something about last years prank but I doubt it was making game more or less unplayable with ,oh so horrible, animations. For me it actually makes fighting less intuitive when character look like a cross between a scarecrow and a criminal executed on the cross having a freaking epilepsy attack. Aaand it’s going for the whole day Next time…. just give players option to turn on/off such things. If I had bought the game today, not two days ago….

And to people “Don’t like, come tomorrow”, just shut it. It’s a forum, we have all rights to tell our opinion of it. Not everyone have enough time to come back tomorrow. April fools joke is one thing, but not allowying players to turn it off/on is not a good idea. Devs basically did something which many hakers would love to achieve. They made many people to simply not play their game today. Running around as “hurr durr ima plane” is fun like for a minute or two.

(edited by Aru.1036)

Posted by: Tylak.9163

Tylak.9163

So when does it become 4/2/15 in GW2 time? I know the event was in progress sometime before 22:00 EST on 3/31/15. So I shouldn’t have to wait until midnight tonight right?

Posted by: Rannith.9068

Rannith.9068

Yep Arena Net this is lame. A joke is one thing but what you are doing is annoying people. It’s like that one bad comedian that wont get off the stage. Ruined the mood of the game. (not everyone is 12 years old.)…also doing this when airplane crashes are on the news daily. Bad, bad taste and losing brownie points with me fast.

I for one love this, this is an amazing April fools and by your logic, we shouldn’t be allowed guns or daggers ingame because people get shot and stabbed on daily a daily basis.

Sorry I’m not 8 yrs old , I find this event to be flaky at best with all the recent news involving airplanes. You want to look at a cheap graphical effect than can be made in minutes then go ahead … you like having your arms out … that amuses you … fine so be it. I wont complain about what you enjoy. Neither how nobody should complain that I want the game back to normal.

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

I’m offended by people being offended at offended people. Really you all just insensitive towards insensitive players and you should all just stop it!

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: Battledoll.1803

Battledoll.1803

Yep Arena Net this is lame. A joke is one thing but what you are doing is annoying people. It’s like that one bad comedian that wont get off the stage. Ruined the mood of the game. (not everyone is 12 years old.)…also doing this when airplane crashes are on the news daily. Bad, bad taste and losing brownie points with me fast.

^This! I was annoyed, and found this repulsive to play. My own opinion.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I’m sure they can, but I would prefer an on/off command or button instead.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

I’m complaining about trees not having to many leaves ingame. No other reason than complaining. #plsfix

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

I’m offended by people being offended at offended people. Really you all just insensitive towards insensitive players and you should all just stop it!

I am offended at the very notion of being offended and this is causing me to take great offense to myself.

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

Well consider yourselves lucky you’re not getting invited to my birthday party, we’ll be having FUN and I can see you’re not cool with that

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

You don’t have to like it, but if this “ruined your night” you seriously need to re-order your priorities. And stop acting like you’re better than other people because you refuse to enjoy a harmless joke.

Also, stop using a tragedy that actually ruined some people’s years to justify your frivolous hate.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I wonder if Anet should add an explanation of “April Fool’s Day” to the NPE.

I bet it would still fly right over some people’s heads – Nyeeeeeerooooom!

Celtic Lady.3729

A way to toggle any animation changes would be really great and would solve a lot of the problems with this sort of event.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Within Any given 90 day period there will have people who have died due to cuts from an edged weapon. Others will have died from gunshot wounds. Still others will have died from blunt trauma. Some will have died from damage caused by a fall. Some from animal attacks. Some will have drowned.

Should Anet remove swords, daggers, axes, guns, bows, animal pets, wild animals, underwater content, amything that one could fall from, hammers, and maces from the game in order to avoid being “insensitive?”

Where were the people who are complaining now when someone died from a gunshot yesterday? Where were they when tanks, which have killed people, were introduced into the game? Helicopters? Where were the complaints of insensitivity when using a knife to kill was discovered to be part of the game.

There isnt any insensitivity going on here, just hypocrisy and people looking for an excuse to blame Anet for something.

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

My opinion is more important than yours, because it’s mine.

Posted by: sean.6058

sean.6058

I don’t know what airplane crash people are talking about. Arena Net doesn’t have to take into account your ridiculous “opinions” or sensitivity factors when creating an event.

With that being said I find the event to be pretty annoying. I don’t like the screen flickering but that’s my only main problem.

(edited by sean.6058)

Posted by: Githany.9203

Githany.9203

Just reinstalled the game a couple of days ago to play with a friend. Logged into the game today to find this Airplane nonsense. It’s not funny, and it hinders enjoyment of the game. There needs to be a way to disable this, and it needs to happen as soon as humanly possible. Incredibly obnoxious that you’d force people to put up with this all day.

Before anyone makes the old “Well just don’t play today” remark, or “Deal with it”, just don’t. I have just as much a right to complain that this “prank” is in poor taste as you have the right to “enjoy” it. Hence why there should be an option to turn it off.

Posted by: Nunna.6413

Nunna.6413

You guys do realize that this has something to do with the expansion right? remember all that hang glide stuff on the heart of the maguuma trailer? yeah … stop whining.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SSed8tYnek

Posted by: AmaleoOu.2489

AmaleoOu.2489

There is a way to turn it off.