Guild Wars 2 April fools 2015 [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ryft.6190

ryft.6190

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

I seriously doubt Anet would lose any revenue from their daily gem sales (with real money). Why? Because I believe people are severely overestimating the number of people not logging in today because of this silly april fool’s joke.

TBH, I logged in, and pretty much all that I am encountering are NPCs.

They don’t have the flying thing, so ez to spot them.

Posted by: Eight Samurai.6840

Eight Samurai.6840

LOL that should be the response to everyone here!

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation_accidents_and_incidents
and many more!

Seriously, stop being dramatic. Surely this April Fool’s joke was in the works for longer than one week. That plane crashed March 24. You really think they come up with this update in 8 days? I feel more like it is paying homage to the history of aviation.

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

Wrong type of plane dude. Even if it was the same flight concept as modern commercial, they’d be doing those people a service since many Americans never heard of the crash.

Wow really? You dont speak for every American and you shouldn’t generalize.

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Please merge this thread.

Posted by: Unspecified.9142

Unspecified.9142

Wrong type of plane dude. Even if it was the same flight concept as modern commercial, they’d be doing those people a service since many Americans never heard of the crash.

Nothing he said suggests he was speaking for “every American” and nothing he said was a generalization.

Many =/= All
Many =/= Majority
Many = More than a few
Every = All

See the difference?

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

Well cry me a freakin’ river already. Is murder acceptable to you? You play a GAME where you kill all the time for fun. Grow up and get some perspective on reality.

It is an APRIL FOOL’S DAY prank. Nothing more needs to be read into it by paranoid minds. I pity people who have no sense of humor. If you can’t laugh, then what’s the point of living?

All of this political-correctness is half of everything that’s wrong in the world today. People aren’t happy unless they can find something – anything – to complain about, no matter how trivial or unbelievable.

As I have suggested in the past, it would be smart of GW2 to have some way to opt in and out of April Fool’s Day frivolity. But if you think they are being intentionally cruel or insensitive, then perhaps you need to consider your own mass-murdering characters first.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

On a Wednesday afternoon.

JediYoda.1275

Nothing he said suggests he was speaking for “every American” and nothing he said was a generalization.

Many =/= All
Many =/= Majority
Many = More than a few
Every = All

See the difference?

You fail to see what wrong with his/her comment!

Posted by: munki.6402

munki.6402

This April Fool was inappropriate, 149+1 died in a plane crasch in the French Alps !
Srry Arenanet not Funny It’s sick

Translation: you broke my immersion and I’m attempting to justify my whining by associating it with a real life tragedy.

4/1/15 forum meltdown survivor

Bellizare.5816

True. Just feels more empty than normal. Map chat regarding the fooling is pretty much negative though. And that from the folks who are logged on.

I don’t mind it, but it does make fighting a bit tricky.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

And ~1000 people died worldwide that day from gunshot wounds, yet ANet didn’t remove guns from the game.

People die. Every day they die from gunshots (guns in game), drowning (water and swimming is in game), stabbing (knives are in game), choking/starvation (food is in game), falls (in game), dog bites (dogs biting is in game), and so on and so on and so on.

Why are you picking on the airplane animation again? It’s because it’s new, isn’t ’it.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Styxx.1564

Styxx.1564

True. Just feels more empty than normal. Map chat regarding the fooling is pretty much negative though. And that from the folks who are logged on.

I don’t mind it, but it does make fighting a bit tricky.

Maybe it’s not a day to fight?

It’s a good day to be an airplane! Nggeeeeeeewwwwwww

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

OP and anyone coming to the forums with these sentiments over Anet’s innocent plane emote should grow a few and get a grasp of context and reality.

Its getting to the point of stupid where people are assuming the stand of being offended for the sake of it. It’s a 1 day prank, get the kitten over it… no opting in/out, be happy Anet go the extra mile to add a little lighthearted fun to their games and can ridicule their own bugs since the betas.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Styxx.1564

One thing that this update teaches us though, is that people have forgotten the true purpose of a game..
I thought it was first and foremost to have.. you know… fun

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

While I would have loved to see a return of SAB, I had a lot of fun playing a couple of hours in “sepia-mode”!

Thanks for the good laugh, Anet!

Posted by: Larka.7683

Larka.7683

If you find this change or any part of the game offensive, please quit the game. I’m serious. I don’t understand why you have to waste another person’s time with your opinion. We don’t care. We dislike you. You are the reason we can’t have nice things. I’m sick of children complaining about religion or plane crashes. Who cares? Planes crash and your God is a potato. Oh, that was a spoiler. Complain about something that matters, like having too many Bone Carved Spoons or how everyone but me seems to have a legendary.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Yeah because many means every. Stay in school kids. Stay off drugs too.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

Seriously? You need to let us opt out of the really, really stupid stuff.
Nothing more needs saying than how disappointed we are.

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

The more I think about it the angrier I get. People demanding an apology from Anet for this prank claiming they lost loved ones to an airline tragedy. What is wrong with you people??? Why are you gaming when you should be grieving instead? Its like hearing someone say “My grandma died yesterday, think I’ll go to the movies.” The credibility is totally lost.

I don’t agree with all the whining about the April Fool’s joke; that whole thing is ridiculous. But you have absolutely no right to tell someone how they should choose to grieve or cope with grief. When my brother died last year, I played video games as a way to help me get through hard days. I also took my kids to see a movie to cheer us all up when we went back home for his funeral.

Being in mourning does not mean you have to become a shut-in who doesn’t participate in social activities.

I’ve suffered loss myself. No, I didn’t shut myself in and give up on life for good but I gave myself a break from certain activities while the pain was still fresh. Most importantly, I didn’t shame other people for going about their lives normally and amusing themselves. That’s what upsets me here. I’m calling into question why they should care about a game event at a time like this in their lives! Their fresh full of grief and they’re lashing out a insignificant things.

Honestly, I think 98% of the complaints here aren’t even coming from a place of grief. Rather, it’s coming from a place of annoyance (at the arm position, at the supposed betrayal of Anet for not letting them opt out, and so on). So yeah, their annoyance rage is making them lash out at a video game prank that lasts 24 hours.

This, so much this to the point I shake my head over these bad apples of the otherwise great gw2 community.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: Blair.3796

Blair.3796

As a devout Catholic, I’m offended that there are actually Christians who truly relate this to a crucifix and are taking offense by it.

Yes, there was a plane crash. That does not mean everything to do with planes is suddenly offensive. Did all these kittens send hate mail to United for continuing their business as well?

My favorite are the people saying, “If you enjoy the changes, don’t come here and argue with the people who don’t like them.” These are the forums, their purpose is discussion. We have to balance the discontent with the people who legitimately enjoy what Anet is doing. I hate it when the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

It’s a joke. Don’t like it? Don’t play today. You have a right to be offended, but even if you are that does not make a joke inherently offensive. Your lives are not over if you don’t play one day.

Would drop 800 gems for an “Endless Airplane Mode” tonic.

Happy April Fools, and thank you Anet for a good prank!

Posted by: Capitol City.4856

Capitol City.4856

There are two big complaints that seem to have spawned from April Fool’s Day today, which is
One: That this airplane April Fool’s Day prank is insensitive to the plane crash that occurred recently in Europe and
Two: That the Super Adventure Box didn’t return.

The first one is absurd. The only semblance between the tragedy and the joke here is the word “airplane”. As many have pointed out, following that logic Arena Net would have to pull everything from guns to missiles, considering the number of tragedies that occur daily from just about every modern weapon Guild Wars 2 has programmed into their game. Should their be an option to turn off “airplane mode”? Probably, but only because of animation and skill functionality errors, not because of offences that take huge stretches just to invent in the first place.

The second complaint would be valid if we weren’t talking about Anet here. They unfailingly disappoint us when it comes to content output, from weak, lackluster updates to painstakingly long hiatuses. Their only real mistake here was not telling us that it wasn’t coming out after rereleasing the SAB pets, because I assume this is what gave so many people false hope about the return of the Super Adventure box. Don’t get me wrong, I love Guild Wars 2, and I’m not saying the game as a whole is weak. I’m just particularly harsh on their content updates, considering how poorly done they’ve been in the past.

This forum needs to calm down, especially about the April Fool’s joke. As for SAB, I feel as though we’re only justified in complaining about its lack of return in the past year, not that it didn’t return on this particular day. You’d have to have too much faith in Anet to truly believe that they’d deliver when we’d want them to.

Edit: Apparently the word kitten n a l is blocked here, so I’m just replacing it with the word game.

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

I had a great time w/GW2 April Fools joke! Logged for a Tequatl kill, and played SWTOR for the evening. Never thought GW2 would be the reason to dust off my guardian.

Im glad some had fun….and this passes soon, now maybe we can get the skill timing fixed among a plethora of more important things instead of this divisive ingame “holiday” acknowledged by 2nd graders in the real world?

Attachments:

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

Capitol City.4856

Okay, apparently even if I try to space out the word, it’s still blocked on here, so I’m just going to link you the word so everyone knows why the edit is there :P https://www.google.com/search?q=arsenal&oq=arsenal&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i59l3j69i60l2.866j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=define+arsenal

Posted by: Izziee.8392

Izziee.8392

This couldn’t have been posted in one of the….many, MANY other similar topics on the subject?

Special?

Posted by: munki.6402

munki.6402

Special?

The snowflakes are falling.

4/1/15 forum meltdown survivor

Styxx.1564

Thanks for the daily report.

You can leave it on my desk and take the day off once you put it all on an excel sheet. Good job.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

You forgot the “crucifix” posture this close to Easter. Seen that used as a source of offense.

I think the fact this was back to back with the guild bank/mail limitations have hit the “games are serious business” crowd a little hard. They’ve already squeezed all resemblance of play out of … play.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Bellizare.5816

I had a great time w/GW2 April Fools joke! Logged for a Tequatl kill, and played SWTOR for the evening. Never thought GW2 would be the reason to dust off my guardian.

Im glad some had fun….and this passes soon, now maybe we can get the skill timing fixed among a plethora of more important things instead of a “holiday” acknowledged by 2nd graders?

I teach first grade, and had to pretend to be fooled pretty much all day long. You have no idea how many “spiders” were in my hair today, and I just couldn’t keep my shoes tied at all.

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

I will reply but first I need to make my response thread then I will link it here later.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Capitol City.4856

You forgot the “crucifix” posture this close to Easter. Seen that used as a source of offense.

I think the fact this was back to back with the guild bank/mail limitations have hit the “games are serious business” crowd a little hard. They’ve already squeezed all resemblance of play out of … play.

Oh my gosh, crucifix? I never even saw that one…
The “games are serious business” crowd is silly, but usually they’re just over-dramatizing a valid point. This airplane accusation is so out of hand, it’s hard to believe. Crucifix? I can only pray those are trolls making those kinds of complaints.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Is that the “Royal WE”?

Connecting this joke to the plane crash kind of points to a sick mind, IMO.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: PirateSpice.8735

PirateSpice.8735

You need proof that GW has always done April Fools jokes? I guess I also need to be your /wiki

I was asking for proof that “the people that hate this prank are in the vast minority”. That sounds like a statistic you made up on the spot, but I welcome evidence to the contrary.

And your comment of ‘Anet trying to please anyone’ is just silly. Even if there was an option to toggle the prank on or off, you have all the complainers saying ‘oh noooo but what about the random plane from last week on the newz!?!?!?’

I’ll just quote myself and let you figure it out:

I dunno, I just don’t get why Anet wouldn’t want to please everyone*. This is one of the few opportunities they have to do so.

(*Those connecting this to the airplane crashes notwithstanding. I’m not touching that subject with a ten-foot pole. There’s no rational debate to be had over something so emotionally driven.)

(edited by PirateSpice.8735)

Posted by: Chapmonious.6205

Chapmonious.6205

Just started playing a month ago, been gaming for a long time, best april fools ever thank you ANET! I feel like a kid again!

Blair.3796

While we’re at it, I find the talking robot backpack incredibly stupid and annoying and I think I should have a special option to mute it and only it whenever I want.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Larka said he doesn’t have a Legendary. I don’t have one either. We both have this airplane animation. Since there is a one to one correlation for us between the animation and not having a Legendary, that means the animation is the cause of our not having Legendaries.

See how easy showing correlation between two things is, such as the airplane animation and a plane crash a week ago thousands of miles away from ANet’s location?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

JediYoda.1275

Anet has more class than that as they are sensitive to do their best not to offend players since we all come from different back grounds etc.

People die every single day for various of reasons, does that mean we shouldn’t play WvW or spvp and that Anet should take guns, alcohol, fire, earth, water , and ice elements ice out of the game too?

Posted by: macfilthy.9645

macfilthy.9645

I wouldn’t mind the April Fools thing if we weren’t stuck with it all day. I only have a couple of days a week that I can play. I would love to see Anet do something truly funny, I mean laugh out loud funny, when you logged in and then let you go about your day. When I was little replacing the sugar in the bowl with salt didn’t keep going all day.

Blair.3796

Larka said he doesn’t have a Legendary. I don’t have one either. We both have this airplane animation. Since there is a one to one correlation for us between the animation and not having a Legendary, that means the animation is the cause of our not having Legendaries.

See how easy showing correlation between two things is, such as the airplane animation and a plane crash a week ago thousands of miles away from ANet’s location?

gasp

I just realized that this update was free. And this update is in the same game as gems are. So why did I get this update and not a couple thousand free gems?

Correlation established. Offense taken. Commence kittening. Mind=blown.

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

April Fools 2013 was the best Holiday in any MMO ever imo

April Fools 2014 was somewhat disappointing because no SAB, but it was still really funny. I ran around trying to find the craziest bobbleheads (Moose and Colossus).

April Fools 2015 just wasn’t very funny. Logged in, did daily, logged out :/

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

Posted by: sneakyfox.9804

sneakyfox.9804

The airplane bit is stupid, but cmon, SAB? That should have made a comeback. the SAB minis being available again was the real April Fool’s joke, because it made us all believe that SAB was finally coming back.

JediYoda.1275

Yeah because many means every. Stay in school kids. Stay off drugs too.

Oh look the classic kid and stay off drugs failed attempt of a comeback comment!!!

Posted by: Reborn.2934

Reborn.2934

April Fools 2013 was the best Holiday in any MMO ever imo

April Fools 2014 was somewhat disappointing because no SAB, but it was still really funny. I ran around trying to find the craziest bobbleheads (Moose and Colossus).

April Fools 2015 just wasn’t very funny. Logged in, did daily, logged out :/

me too , but i really do not care for daily , i collected the quartz from home and out .

Posted by: Tylak.9163

Tylak.9163

Is it over yet? IS IT OVER?!?!

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

I wonder if Anet should add an explanation of “April Fool’s Day” to the NPE.

I bet it would still fly right over some people’s heads – Nyeeeeeerooooom!

… I see what you did there.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

While we’re at it, I find the talking robot backpack incredibly stupid and annoying and I think I should have a special option to mute it and only it whenever I want.

While we’re at it, Wow!, You actually responded to a let us opt out comment?
SO GLAD I’m not that bored! Disappointment now has pity added to it.

Posted by: Mitha.7039

Mitha.7039

Dear Anet,

I’ve been seeing a lot of negativity. I wanted to add a note of positivity. I was one of those that played airplanes as a kid. I loved the April Fools event. I hope it becomes a lab table or something to be revisited later. Thank you for 24 hours of silly and joy. That’s all.

Nyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrr……….!

~Mitha.7039

Sylvari roleplayers and fangirls: We’re suckers for the underdog…

(edited by Mitha.7039)

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

on the bright side, I did not notice a single new mount, duel, zerker or trinity thread today. That has to count for something!

Posted by: Callie Browne.9562

Callie Browne.9562

“Ohhh my Gaawd! I am offended!!!! Should I pout or riot? Leaning toward riot cuz I need a new TV”

Grow some kittening skin. The sun can’t come up without some idiot being offended. And, if that offends you, then you are who I am talking to.

That said, I am irked by the April Fools prank. I logged on hoping to find a work-around or an opt-out. Ok, there doesn’t appear to be one. I will find something else to do (I have a life) and play tomorrow.