Guildie gets 4 dusks and 5 dawns in 4 days.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: King xiuras.3615

King xiuras.3615

Dear Anet,

A friend of mine got 4 dusks and 5 dawns in 4 days with only using rare krait great swords. Is the RNG bugged in the Mystic Forge? I am grinding for dusk to finish my Twilight, i put more then 900+ rare gs in mf but no succes. And this guy gets for sake those expensive weapons. Honestly Anet, this game is really great and i’m enjoying but i and my guildies are raging out. Is this fair? Is this RNG working right? Is the RNG really based on what account you have? One account has the luck to get that much precursors and the other account doesn’t. Really and i beg you Anet, and also beg for an answer: is this fair?

Greetings from a big fan.
Khalar Hammerstorm

Khalar Bladestorm – Pugmaster of AoA – Dungeon Master – Event Comander of AoA

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

RNG. Did you ask your friend exactly how many rates/exotics he threw in?

Also, all accounts are equal. One account is no luckier than another.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I personally think your guildie is lying.

And even if it actually did happen, that is how RNG is. It is not based on account, it is based on a more or less random algorithm. Some times people get lucky, some times they don’t.

Just like in the real world.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

RNG is RNG. Plus, people also like to exaggerate and lie. Plus plus, odds are that friend put even more greatswords than you did into the forge and also had very unlucky streaks in the past where he also didn’t get anything.

King xiuras.3615

He’s not lying, he showed it with pictures and recordings. When he put 180 rare gs in the mf, he always gets a dusk or dawn. That luck is too much and unfair.

Some guildies tried to do the same with 180 rare gs and guess what? Nothing of course. Nothing in the past 4 days. And that guildie keeps getting dusk/dawn.

I tried with a lot of rare gs but guess what?: n-o-t-h-i-n-g.

Ayrilana.1396

Yeah. He showed the recordings of his successes but not losses.

Posted by: Pino.5209

Pino.5209

rng is rng. You could throw a million rares in and get nada, when it’s not your day.
Imagine if you had sold all those 900+ rare gs. You should be around half way to your dusk.
Plus, video or it didn’t happen, your friend is more likely lying to you.

King xiuras.3615

His losses arent that big. He buys Rare inscriptions for to craft his rare gs. He spends every day for his rare inscriptions 120 gold only. And every time when he put the just crafted rare gs, he got dusk/dawn. And he’s not lying, he even showed it on Skype etc…

Posted by: johnnymiller.5968

johnnymiller.5968

You can have runs with the mystic forge. A few months back dusk dropped twice in a four minute period for me. have had the same with other exotic swords from the forge where the same one dropped numerous times (unfortunately not a precursor).
Flip side. 1700 gold worth of greatsword’s (2500) with no precursor drop.

Posted by: Pino.5209

Pino.5209

Well, sucks to be us then, suck it up or rage quit.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Or so they say.
(I’ve come prepared ;D)

Attachments:

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

#justRNGthings

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Did you watch all the recordings? I don’t believe it.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

RNG is RNG.

Just like I’ve read of cases where someone wins the big prize at the lottery twice (which has a 0,0000002% chance to win it in the first place), there are always extremes in every distribution, maybe you putting 900+ rares are in the middle of the curve (no idea), on one end is your friend that got 4 dusks, and on the other end of the curve there might be someone that has put 9000+ rares and no luck. I also once saw a video where someone put a LOT of rares into the MF, nothing for the whole video and 2 precursors in his last two forges. Random is that, random.

BTW, how many rares did he use to get the 4 dusks?… maybe he was incredible lucky to get 4 dusks, or maybe he put like 1000+ rares every day or so.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Wake up, sheeple! If you assign numeric value to the letters of your user name and add them up, then add the last four digits to that number and divide by 5, you’ll be able to see how lucky your account is.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

King xiuras.3615

Day 1: 1st try: 80 rares => Dawn + Dusk
Day 2: 210 rares: Dusk + Dusk + Dawn
Day 3: 180 rares: Dusk + Dawn
Day 4: 160 rates: Dawn + Dawn

Conclusion: RNG quite broken for 4 days for that dude + a lot of gold gained thanks to those precursors.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Are you sure he filmed every single attempted he did? He didn’t put any rares in the Mystic Forge at any time outside of those in the videos?

Can you link us to these videos? I’m guessing you’ll say he sent them to you directly, or they’re on a private guild site or something. If that’s the case can you ask him if he’d be willing to post them somewhere public so we can see?

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

He’s not lying, he showed it with pictures and recordings. When he put 180 rare gs in the mf, he always gets a dusk or dawn. That luck is too much and unfair.

Some guildies tried to do the same with 180 rare gs and guess what? Nothing of course. Nothing in the past 4 days. And that guildie keeps getting dusk/dawn.

I tried with a lot of rare gs but guess what?: n-o-t-h-i-n-g.

Assuming that your post is for real, do you not get what he’s doing? He just got a bunch of people to flush tons of GS down the drain. If he sent you links to recordings, post them here. Otherwise… well… its the interwebz, you know?

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

Ayrilana.1396

Day 1: 1st try: 80 rares => Dawn + Dusk
Day 2: 210 rares: Dusk + Dusk + Dawn
Day 3: 180 rares: Dusk + Dawn
Day 4: 160 rates: Dawn + Dawn

Conclusion: RNG quite broken for 4 days for that dude + a lot of gold gained thanks to those precursors.

I’d read up on RNG and probabilities. It’s well into the realm of possibility to get results like that although it’s very very rare.

How I see your argument that RNG must be broken is this:

Person A and Person B each flip a coin 10 times. Person A gets heads and tails exactly 5 times each. Person B gets tails all 10 times. This would be due to RNG but you’d credit it as a broken coin.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: JaNordy.6149

JaNordy.6149

This is completely false. It was finally proven with Maze Balm farming rats. Mobs are guaranteed drop until DR kicks in. Guess what? Some people could farm for hours and get full drops all time, others including me couldnt go for more than 10 minutes before we got 0 drops. This 100% proved that not all accounts are equal.

Ayrilana.1396

This is completely false. It was finally proven with Maze Balm farming rats. Mobs are guaranteed drop until DR kicks in. Guess what? Some people could farm for hours and get full drops all time, others including me couldnt go for more than 10 minutes before we got 0 drops. This 100% proved that not all accounts are equal.

Nope. It’s been stated by Anet that all accounts are equal.

Posted by: Garrisyl.7402

Garrisyl.7402

Some people could farm for hours and get full drops all time, others including me couldnt go for more than 10 minutes before we got 0 drops. This 100% proved that not all accounts are equal.

Or it proved 100% that DR is broken and not working entirely as intended.

On another note, one of my IRL friends had mystic forging precursors for a hobby too. There was a time when he would say things like " Well, time for my daily Dawn before i log off". Guy had crazy luck. I have seen him pull 5 dawns/dusk in a single session of mystic forging while I was looking him over the shoulder irl.

Still, I don’t think it has anything to do with account luck or anything. In any Gaussian chart there are some people on the extreme ends. Whether that is a fair way to handle the single biggest endgame factor of the game is another discussion.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

We’ve known not all accounts are equal since the beginning of the game. Remember some accounts being affected by wvw bonuses and some not?

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: Silvia.9130

Silvia.9130

In the BLTC forum there is a constructive discussion about RNG and possible substitution to make the curve more friendly towards the “kissed-by-bad-luck”, I suggest you go to take a look at it instead of just shouting at it here It is well known in game and out game that wherever there is any kind of RNG system, there will be a number of people to be super lucky and a number of people being super unlucky with an average staying in the half-way. Fair or not, the RNG is working as intended, we hate it, I hate it, but sadly, it’s how it works :/

>>Lady Carlie Castle<
>>=<

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Yeah, because everything ANet states is 100% correct.

Just like when they said there was nothing wrong with the drop rate or drop tables for Final Rest. Until magically it started dropping after a patch. After MONTHS of no one getting it as a drop. Of course, they only claimed to have increased the drop rate not that it was bugged.

Not that they neccessarily intend to lie, just sometimes they don’t know if something is broken.

Posted by: Narkodx.1472

Narkodx.1472

Wake up, sheeple! If you assign numeric value to the letters of your user name and add them up, then add the last four digits to that number and divide by 5, you’ll be able to see how lucky your account is.

I KNEW IT

Ayrilana.1396

Yeah, because everything ANet states is 100% correct.

Just like when they said there was nothing wrong with the drop rate or drop tables for Final Rest. Until magically it started dropping after a patch. After MONTHS of no one getting it as a drop. Of course, they only claimed to have increased the drop rate not that it was bugged.

Not that they neccessarily intend to lie, just sometimes they don’t know if something is broken.

So of course if there’s a possibility for them to be wrong then it must be so and that you cannot sum it up to people having a lack of understanding about RNG and probability.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

You’re grinding for dusk and your friend who just got nine greatsword precursors couldn’t give you one? What a guy…

Essence Snow.3194

^ that’s a rather good point…at the very least sell it to you for his forging costs

JaNordy.6149

Hahahahahaha, oh my these forums never change. Prove something beyond any doubt, people still say its false.

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

Hahahahahaha, oh my these forums never change. Prove something beyond any doubt, people still say its false.

So… where’s your proof?

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

Ayrilana.1396

There isn’t such thing is some accounts getting stuck lucky. Yes there’s an RNG, yes it’s random and there are streaks and outliers and an even aggregate distribution.

Can you confirm whether it is an RNG that uses some sort of value from the user’s account or whether it is purely random/session based? I have a friend who swears that smack-talking an anet dev during a beta weekend pvp match doomed his account to poor rng for life.

Absolutely it does not use anything to do with a user.

Posted by: Sunreva.8714

Sunreva.8714

I may be alone in this, but I believe the OP. From my own experience in 2012, I was throwing bout 40 yellow gs into the forge and got Dusk. My buddy logs in about 2 minutes later and im telling him about my luck, and as Im tossing in the remaining 15 or so swords I get Dawn. So with a 5 minute period and almost back to back, I got both Dawn and Dusk. Its not a stretch for me to then think something similar could happen again to someone even luckief than I.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

I may be alone in this, but I believe the OP. From my own experience in 2012, I was throwing bout 40 yellow gs into the forge and got Dusk. My buddy logs in about 2 minutes later and im telling him about my luck, and as Im tossing in the remaining 15 or so swords I get Dawn. So with a 5 minute period and almost back to back, I got both Dawn and Dusk. Its not a stretch for me to then think something similar could happen again to someone even luckief than I.

There are videos of this happening too… No matter how good your RNG algorithms are, you will never avoid these anomalies, ever. I don’t know about 9 precursors though, but 2 in one session isn’t unheard of.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

There isn’t such thing is some accounts getting stuck lucky. Yes there’s an RNG, yes it’s random and there are streaks and outliers and an even aggregate distribution.

Can you confirm whether it is an RNG that uses some sort of value from the user’s account or whether it is purely random/session based? I have a friend who swears that smack-talking an anet dev during a beta weekend pvp match doomed his account to poor rng for life.

I’m sorry, but quoting the resident Economist isn’t going to convince me that there might be something in their code somewhere that makes certain accounts luckier than others.

RNG is RNG and can make things look very funny to a certain people. I’ve personally seen too many cases of either ‘lucky’ or ‘unlucky’ accounts to attribute it all to RNG in my mind.

This stuff does happen. Just google the Wi Flag if you don’t believe. Errors in code can exist that create ‘lucky’ or ‘unlucky’ account behavior and can remain hidden in code for a long time.

Ayrilana.1396

I’m sorry, but quoting the resident Economist isn’t going to convince me that there might be something in their code somewhere that makes certain accounts luckier than others.

RNG is RNG and can make things look very funny to a certain people. I’ve personally seen too many cases of either ‘lucky’ or ‘unlucky’ accounts to attribute it all to RNG in my mind.

This stuff does happen. Just google the Wi Flag if you don’t believe. Errors in code can exist that create ‘lucky’ or ‘unlucky’ account behavior and can remain hidden in code for a long time.

Yes but you cannot just assume that you are correct based on the very unlikely chance that there’s a bug in the system and especially when there’s a very credible and tested mathematical theory as to how this can happen.

munkiman.3068

Yes but you cannot just assume that you are correct based on the very unlikely chance that there’s a bug in the system and especially when there’s a very credible and tested mathematical theory as to how this can happen.

Tin foil hat aside, there will always be outliers, even in Vegas.

We have and have always needed/wanted a reliable method to obtain a pre, period.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

His losses arent that big. He buys Rare inscriptions for to craft his rare gs. He spends every day for his rare inscriptions 120 gold only. And every time when he put the just crafted rare gs, he got dusk/dawn. And he’s not lying, he even showed it on Skype etc…

If I had 120g each day to waste, I’d just save them up. Bam, precursor in no time.

Ayrilana.1396

We have and have always needed/wanted a reliable method to obtain a pre, period.

Exactly. There will always be outliers. That doesn’t mean that it has to do with an error in the RNG system that favors specific accounts.

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

A few months back I made 12 legends in a week. The following week I made none.
RNG is RNG.

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

Even if it sounds ridiculous, I see no reason why he or his friend should be lying, unless you have ADHD.

I’d like to see an answer on OP’s post.

munkiman.3068

Exactly. There will always be outliers. That doesn’t mean that it has to do with an error in the RNG system that favors specific accounts.

I was agreeing with you really. However, it’s hard to forget the Final Rest assurance that it was in the drop table for months, now it almost drops like candy from SB… I mean people were searching all over for that darn thing.

Ayrilana.1396

I was agreeing with you really. However, it’s hard to forget the Final Rest assurance that it was in the drop table for months, now it almost drops like candy from SB… I mean people were searching all over for that darn thing.

Yeah, I remember that one thread that was going on. People thought it dropped from the Eye in Straits of Desolation.

I saw that you were. There have been rare instances where there have been issues with the drop rate such as with what you mentioned and salvage rate (ectos). My intent of posting in this thread was just that there’s a very small probability that it could be a bug and a large probability that it’s just the tendency of RNG to have outliers. Given that not many people understand RNG/probability, this just adds more to it likely not being due to some bug.

It’s similar to how people are quick to claim something is bugged when they just don’t know how to do it. It could very well be bugged but a lot of the time it’s because they don’t know what they’re doing or gave it one attempt, failed, and the assumed it was bugged.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

This whole thread just makes me think that the one night I got The Lover out of the MF and then logged off and went to bed…. I should have stayed up and put more stuff in that thing!!!! AAAARRRRGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My one lucky shot is … gone… just .. gone.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It’s not accounts. It’s DR. It’s been broken since the beginning. Try in few weeks, and you will see that who can farm for hours and who gets DR will change.

We’ve known not all accounts are equal since the beginning of the game. Remember some accounts being affected by wvw bonuses and some not?

Yeah, i do. I guess you forgot why it was that way – it happened because some were on main servers, and some were on overflows (overflows didn’t get WvW bonuses then).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Essence Snow.3194

Yeah, i do. I guess you forgot why it was that way – it happened because some were on main servers, and some were on overflows (overflows didn’t get WvW bonuses then).

I don’t buy that at all, as I was affected by it and people in my parties were not…….ie we were in the same maps/instances. Not only that but it was persistent (did not change till fixed regardless of map) to certain accounts. If it were limited to overflow maps that would mean that it would only had effected bonuses when on an overflow map…and not while on a main. The only way it would be possible for that to be true is if my parties and I were unable to get on a main server during my 1st 1k+ hours of play, which spanned roughly 10 hours a day. Yeah…not a chance of that check getting cashed.

(edited by Essence Snow.3194)

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Your friend is just lucky. And you are not unlucky.

You only loss like 450-500 gold right? If it’s so easy to get legendary, it wont’ cost so much on the TP.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

LoL troll.

The Burninator

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Only thing I can think of is that the particular prefix of krait greatsword is bugged and rewarding the precursors at a much higher rate.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

JaNordy.6149

So… where’s your proof?

My proof is 2 players including myself maze farming the prince rats(not even counting all other people that reported same thing). Transformed rats = 100% drop rate until DR kicks in. Farming for 3 hours straight. One person farmed on same thief the entire time. I had to stop anywhere between 10-20 mins and switch to another character. Otherwise Id get about 3-4 ToT bags from 20 mobs. Characters that I rarely log on to play, and those I use heavy. This proved there is a problem either with drop tables or DR that effects accounts differently. I can take a video next year but that Prince thing is gone till next year. Anet defense force never changes.