Hyped for incoming VIP status in Gem Store!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

Does it REALLY matter how ANet sells the stuff from cash shop?

Golem banker – already in shop
Black Lion traders – already in shop
Additional bags
Ressurection
…….
Almost everything IS already in shop.

So whats the big deal in putting it in one 30 days bundle and calling it “VIP status”

Please elaborate (for those who go even so far as “leaving the game” if this makes it in)

So will you still be playing if the VIP comes in?

I dont really care. Its standard practice to bundle items and sell them. Its not like gem shop doesnt have bundled items from launch.

Is it name that offends people “VIP status”?

What if they call it “monthly convenience bundle”? MCBundle ;P

The VIP system in china includes things such as:

Free precursors
The ability to trade more than 5 items a day (everyone else gets restricted)
A temporary 50% dmg booster
The ability to instantly port around the map (meaning if you don’t pay for that you will never get to an event in time again, no karma or gold for you)
40-50% discounts on gem store items which have increased prices

If you don’t pay for VIP the game is gutted and unplayable. They offer convenience for the VIP players by removing it from all the other players.

And if you don’t think they’d do that, just look at SAB. you used to be able to easily get continue coins by a dozen different methods… one day the infinite continue coin gets put in the gem store and 99% of those methods are nerfed out of the game. Buy it or suffer was the message.

Well, that would include enforcing these restrictions first. Anything is possible, but hey a buttrfly can also cause a tornado.

These isnt about Chinese VIP (and general Chinese handling of the game as NCSoft doesnt do that in China fyi) but a general “VIP program” (custom tailored for western market just as KZ tailored theirs for eastern one)

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Additional bags
Ressurection
…….

So whats the big deal in putting it in one 30 days bundle and calling it “VIP status”

Please elaborate (for those who go even so far as “leaving the game” if this makes it in)

I dont really care. Its standard practice to bundle items and sell them. Its not like gem shop doesnt have bundled items from launch.

Free precursors
The ability to instantly port around the map (meaning if you don’t pay for that you will never get to an event in time again, no karma or gold for you)

If you don’t pay for VIP the game is gutted and unplayable. They offer convenience for the VIP players by removing it from all the other players.

And if you don’t think they’d do that, just look at SAB. you used to be able to easily get continue coins by a dozen different methods… one day the infinite continue coin gets put in the gem store and 99% of those methods are nerfed out of the game. Buy it or suffer was the message.

So, a VIP system really does exist in China? Any confirmation that it’s coming here?

It exists in China. Anet said it was only for China, not for the US.

Posted by: Leming.8436

Leming.8436

First Guild Wars:
Whole Tyria in first game GW Prophecies, 2 years later we got new continent with campain, 2 new proffesions, new weapons, and pvp type in Guild Wars Factions.
1 years after Factions came out. We got new continent + 2 new proffesions, weapons, armors, “elite dungeon like UW” type in GW Nightfall. 2-3 years after Prophecies, we got maps on the top of the map in EOTN with new campain, achivs and big maps to explore. Guild Wars 2: after 2 years we got 4 small maps for pve, one big map for WvW few armors and weapons and maybe VIP stuff that onyly rich guys can afford becouse for cost of this VIP status(1600gems he said) I can easly buy new game in my country.
GG!
Anet went full lazy mode lately, just like all other gaming companies.

Sorry for bad english.

(edited by Leming.8436)

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

why would anyone care if another person is VIP?

Does them spending money irritate you so much that you would quit?

Or maybe it’s the idea that after spending money for a year they will get a precursor (not even a full legendary).

Ohh, someone is willing to spend money to support the game… bad man!

None of the benefits seem like it would have any impact on PvP except maybe the precursor… after a full year of being VIP then doing the work to get the precursor crafted… oh and we maybe crafting precursors soon… so that whole VIP bonus drops in value.

Grow up, let people spend their money to be VIPs and stop being jealous of the Jones.

(edited by illgot.1056)

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Additional bags
Ressurection
…….

Free precursors

Well, that would include enforcing these restrictions first. Anything is possible, but hey a buttrfly can also cause a tornado.

These isnt about Chinese VIP (and general Chinese handling of the game as NCSoft doesnt do that in China fyi) but a general “VIP program” (custom tailored for western market just as KZ tailored theirs for eastern one)

The leveling system was also custom tailored for china… that worked out well for us…

MikaHR.1978

Additional bags
Ressurection
…….

Free precursors

The leveling system was also custom tailored for china… that worked out well for us…

Its not, its based on US/EU expereince with the game (community/feedback/metrics)

Posted by: balrog.1307

balrog.1307

Some pics from chinese gw2 – those lucky souls!

http://imgur.com/a/k9GA4#0

Posted by: Templar.4512

Templar.4512

It’s not about being jealous of others paying, it’s about disliking a business model and just seeing people around with that icon. It’s irritating. Also, trade limit?!

Posted by: ykyk.2740

ykyk.2740

I, for one, am excited for synchronization with the superior Chinese model so that I can efficiently pay ArenaNet copious amounts of money for all the hard work and effort they’ve put into this game!

illgot.1056

It’s not about being jealous of others paying, it’s about disliking a business model and just seeing people around with that icon. It’s irritating. Also, trade limit?!

a business model which will only have a positive impact on you.

That money people are going to spend each month to be a VIP (guessing it is a subscription) will go back into development.

The free development you are going to get will outweigh the game braking visual discontinuity of seeing a small icon above a players head.

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Its never going to happen so not like it matters.

O’hai….u must be new here.
—-

Chinese get a free precursor after 1 year of sub? lol

Posted by: ykyk.2740

ykyk.2740

a business model which will only have a positive impact on you.

That money people are going to spend each month to be a VIP (guessing it is a subscription) will go back into development.

The free development you are going to get will outweigh the game braking visual discontinuity of seeing a small icon above a players head.

If enough of us sign up for VIP maybe we can get another color for the commander tag by 2016!

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

*why would anyone care if another person is VIP?

Does them spending money irritate you so much that you would quit?*

Or maybe it’s the idea that after spending money for a year they will get a precursor (not even a full legendary).

None of the benefits seem like it would have any impact on PvP except maybe the precursor… after a full year of being VIP then doing the work to get the precursor crafted… oh and we maybe crafting precursors soon… so that whole VIP bonus drops in value.

Grow up, let people spend their money to be VIPs and stop being jealous of the Jones.

If Anet add VIP in any form I’m done for good. I own a collectors edition and buy gems so spending money obviously doesn’t bother me but add PTW and I’m out.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

MikaHR.1978

If Anet add VIP in any form I’m done for good. I own a collectors edition and buy gems so spending money obviously doesn’t bother me but add PTW and I’m out.

So…..how come youre not offended by bundles they currently sell in cash shop?

illgot.1056

That’s fine, I bet the number of people that actually quit over something like this will look miniscule compared to the amount of people who will pay for the VIP/Subscription.

The VIP option will have ZERO negative effect on your game play, but hey, act like a child and quit over something that will only benefit you by giving Anet another source of revenue for future development.

little hint about making threats, people who spend money on this game regularly like you claim would actually welcome the ability to gain benefits and a discount by adding a subscription.

(edited by illgot.1056)

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Its never going to happen so not like it matters.

That’s what everyone thought about the level gating.

We did? Considering level gating was already in the game from release (utility skills/elite skills/traits/weapon swap), I highly doubt anyone was saying they never thought level gating was going to happen…

….you know….since it already existed in game…

I think you meant to say nobody expected there to be additional level gating.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

First Guild Wars:
Whole Tyria in first game GW Prophecies, 2 years later we got new continent with campain, 2 new proffesions, new weapons, and pvp type in Guild Wars Factions.
1 years after Factions came out. We got new continent + 2 new proffesions, weapons, armors, “elite dungeon like UW” type in GW Nightfall. 2-3 years after Prophecies, we got maps on the top of the map in EOTN with new campain, achivs and big maps to explore. Guild Wars 2: after 2 years we got 4 small maps for pve, one big map for WvW few armors and weapons and maybe VIP stuff that onyly rich guys can afford becouse for cost of this VIP status(1600gems he said) I can easly buy new game in my country.
GG!
Anet went full lazy mode lately, just like all other gaming companies.

Sorry for bad english.

Don’t forget all of GW:B that they gave us without paying anything.

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

That’s fine, I bet the number of people that actually quit over something like this will look miniscule compared to the amount of people who will pay for the VIP/Subscription.

The VIP option will have ZERO negative effect on your game play, but hey, act like a child and quit over something that will only benefit you by giving Anet another source of revenue for future development.

little hint about making threats, people who spend money on this game regularly like you claim would actually welcome the ability to gain benefits and a discount by adding a subscription.

Let them play another game. GW2 is BTP which is why I played GW and why I play GW2 I bought gems to support the game and avoided the watchwork pick specifically because it’s borderline ptw.

Little hint, I don’t make idle threats

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Templar.4512

Let them play another game. GW2 is BTP which is why I played GW and why I play GW2 I bought gems to support the game and avoided the watchwork pick specifically because it’s borderline ptw.

This. I also came here because everyone was equal and gems were only for those who wanted visual items.

However, teleporting to friend, limited trading, booster? This is a thinly veiled (is it even veiled?) cheap game. No, just no.

illgot.1056

who cares? The amount of money you would have spent over your life in this game is nothing compared to the revenue Anet would gain with this VIP model.

This. I also came here because everyone was equal and gems were only for those who wanted visual items.

However, teleporting to friend, limited trading, booster? This is a thinly veiled (is it even veiled?) cheap game. No, just no.

You do know that the cash shop sells more than just visual fluff?

(edited by illgot.1056)

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

That vip package would be perfect for the game being completely F2P. Seriously, I think we are going to see a f2p version. Not a bad idea, look how well Swtor is doing financially after going f2p with sub option.

For the love of all that’s holly, don’t make this a SWTOR.

I used to play it, quite like it, then I quit after 90 days, even before I reached lvl 50 (cap) there, why?
Numerous reasons, but keeping it short, their F2P is basically a demo, you are limited in every single way, you even have a cap on how much coin you can have, you can’t hide your head gear, you can’t even wear a basic title which over there is a much bigger deal since it blends with your name.

In conclusion, I’ve been playing GW2 since the first week and I’m online most days, I like it the way it is, and so do many other players.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Posted by: Maxwell.7843

Maxwell.7843

If non-vips can sell a maximum of 5 items a day on the TP, it has a huge impact on everyone’s gameplay.

Look, I understand that some people would like to pay a monthly fee.

But if not being a vip means that some parts of the game get heavily restricted (5 trades on the TP), it can’t be possibly fair. That’s the kind of thing that you find on the worst free to play games; in such games the addict user is forced to spend money just to have a playable game.

So I think it’s understandable if players are worried.

Templar.4512

If they are pulling this, they must be really desperate. Same happened to SWTOR when they realized they had no success.

illgot.1056

That vip package would be perfect for the game being completely F2P. Seriously, I think we are going to see a f2p version. Not a bad idea, look how well Swtor is doing financially after going f2p with sub option.

For the love of all that’s holly, don’t make this a SWTOR.

I used to play it, quite like it, then I quit after 90 days, even before I reached lvl 50 (cap) there, why?
Numerous reasons, but keeping it short, their F2P is basically a demo, you are limited in every single way, you even have a cap on how much coin you can have, you can’t hide your head gear, you can’t even wear a basic title which over there is a much bigger deal since it blends with your name.

In conclusion, I’ve been playing GW2 since the first week and I’m online most days, I like it the way it is, and so do many other players.

I doubt GW2 will be FTP like SWTOR.

SWTOR failed because they tried to survive on box sales and subscription only.

They panicked and came up with their free to play model on the fly. GW2 was developed with the current model in mind and was developed quite well around it.

The VIP would only be an optional subscription model which offered additional benefits you would usually find in the cash shop.

My guess is that everything listed in the VIP bundle will also be sold separately in the cash shop, but the benefit for being VIP is that you save more gems and after 12 months of being a VIP you gain a precursor (which may not have the same value once we start crafting precursors).

If they are pulling this, they must be really desperate. Same happened to SWTOR when they realized they had no success.

or they developed the idea while working on the Chinese model and realize that it could also work here…

(edited by illgot.1056)

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Obvious bait thread…

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

illgot.1056

If non-vips can sell a maximum of 5 items a day on the TP, it has a huge impact on everyone’s gameplay.

Look, I understand that some people would like to pay a monthly fee.

But if not being a vip means that some parts of the game get heavily restricted (5 trades on the TP), it can’t be possibly fair. That’s the kind of thing that you find on the worst free to play games; in such games the addict user is forced to spend money just to have a playable game.

So I think it’s understandable if players are worried.

Where are you seeing a limit of 5 trades a day on the TP? I did a search and could not find anything official on that.

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

Just going to add for all the VIP haters since I actually have an account on all 3 regions for GW2, the VIP is bought via the gem store and is not a subscription. There are ways to get a days worth of VIP through in-game means and a 30 day VIP card for a fairly large amount of gems (relatively speaking, since China gem store prices are very different due to a different currency). You could literally farm dungeons for your VIP. There’s seriously nothing wrong with it. My China account has no VIP and my friends tell me not to bother since I’m a PvP/WvW player, as it only benefits PvE (porting to friend, insta bank access, bonus XP gain etc). Nothing else is restricted except sending in-game mails, which we have on the US/EU servers anyway

Imagine farming dungeons for VIP for a year just to get a precursor. That’s what you’re worried about. F- me

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

(edited by Reverence.6915)

Posted by: kult.3465

kult.3465

I don’t know why everyone is whining. It’s obvious copy and pasting updates retroactively from the western client is a huge success.

I think we should pay gems to unlock the level gating. It’s a win win.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

VIC gets flashing pink commander tag.
Win/win.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

illgot.1056

Just going to add for all the VIP haters since I actually have an account on all 3 regions for GW2, the VIP is bought via the gem store and is not a subscription. There are ways to get a days worth of VIP through in-game means and a 30 day VIP card for a fairly large amount of gems (relatively speaking, since China gem store prices are very different due to a different currency). You could literally farm dungeons for your VIP. There’s seriously nothing wrong with it. My China account has no VIP and my friends tell me not to bother since I’m a PvP/WvW player, as it only benefits PvE (porting to friend, insta bank access, bonus XP gain etc). Nothing else is restricted except sending in-game mails.

Imagine farming dungeons for VIP for a year just to get a precursor. That’s what you’re worried about. F- me

it all seemed like PvE buffs you could currently buy in the Gem Store. Just bundled up for a larger savings.

Reverence.6915

Just going to add for all the VIP haters since I actually have an account on all 3 regions for GW2, the VIP is bought via the gem store and is not a subscription. There are ways to get a days worth of VIP through in-game means and a 30 day VIP card for a fairly large amount of gems (relatively speaking, since China gem store prices are very different due to a different currency). You could literally farm dungeons for your VIP. There’s seriously nothing wrong with it. My China account has no VIP and my friends tell me not to bother since I’m a PvP/WvW player, as it only benefits PvE (porting to friend, insta bank access, bonus XP gain etc). Nothing else is restricted except sending in-game mails.

it all seemed like PvE buffs you could currently buy in the Gem Store. Just bundled up for a larger savings.

Basically. There’s also slightly bigger bank tabs and an extra bag slot (9 instead of eight), but they’re no big deal for me either

Beastgate | Faerie Law

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

I don’t trust Anet on their words. They already said that the NA version won’t be like the Chinese version. Now, the game is level gated like the Chinese version. Flip Flop, Flip Flop.

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

I’m pretty much convinced that if Anet brought the VIP membership here, half the game’s population would just walk. Straight away.

Which doesn’t mean the game would necessarily be less profitable.

What do you think would happen to the game if it went F2P with a vip type membership? I could only imagine that it would do very well.

I don’t know if half the population would leave, but it would likely be the part of the population that makes the game worth playing.
We aren’t all here for the personal and living story.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

I absolutely cannot wait for something like this to be put in game (and come on, you know theyre going to sooner or later). The amount of tears from people who still have no idea that running a mmo costs money (who wouldnt want to work a full time job without getting a salary to make people on the internet happy!) would be priceless.

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Reverence.6915

I’m pretty much convinced that if Anet brought the VIP membership here, half the game’s population would just walk. Straight away.

Which doesn’t mean the game would necessarily be less profitable.

What do you think would happen to the game if it went F2P with a vip type membership? I could only imagine that it would do very well.

I don’t know if half the population would leave, but it would likely be the part of the population that makes the game worth playing.
We aren’t all here for the personal and living story.

If you’re a PvP/WvW player, VIP doesn’t affect you beyond seeing some friendly players with a purple name tag instead of green if they’re not in your guild or party. With the exception of bank access, which is basically like having a deluxe version of gw2, everything else is turned off in WvW and PvP

Beastgate | Faerie Law

Posted by: Leming.8436

Leming.8436

Don’t forget all of GW:B that they gave us without paying anything.

My point is: In old Guild Wars i was paying 25$ and i was getting whole new game with giant map to explore with new weapons, armors and story. VIP is just a “premium” like in any f2p game. They didnt added any new explorable map since 2012, and most what i love in Guild Wars series is exploring and finding new items or places. PvP in my opinion is fun but for competitive sport i still can go out on the field under my flat.

Posted by: Arghore.8340

Arghore.8340

This will come to the NA/EU game as well, as ANet continues to drift from the GuildWars Ideals, that which drove a good deal of players to keep GW1 alive for 7 years. And in doing so alienates their fan base, there won’t be any way to keep the game alive, besides trying to bait more people to pay monthly…

GW1 as far as I know, never had these kinds of systems in Asia, and as far as I know it wasn’t less of success there as it was here… these details somewhat broke something for me, I think I will keep my word as to sticking around till early next year to see improvements in the game. But as far as intellectually supporting this game goes, well I refer to my sig from now on…

We are peace, we are war. We are how we treat each other and nothing more…
25 okt 2014 – PinkDay in LA

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

I would never pay for VIP status. As long as everything stays exactly the same as it is now…and VIP is merely gem store items rolled up into a monthly package with maybe some kind of special character visual, that would be fine. The moment gem store items rise in price because VIP’s get a discount… the moment the base game is neutered and “full access” gets hidden behind a VIP paywall… the moment VIP’s have access to exclusive skins… the moment VIP’s have some sort of economic in game advantage (beyond gem store discounts)… is when Anet loses at least half of their playerbase for GW2 and any future Arena Net game.

Posted by: Tallybunny.4782

Tallybunny.4782

No, simply put, no thank you.

This would be the deal breaker for me.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t trust Anet on their words. They already said that the NA version won’t be like the Chinese version. Now, the game is level gated like the Chinese version. Flip Flop, Flip Flop.

Repeating the same falsehood doesn’t make it true. Can you show me where Anet said this?

To my knowledge Anet has only ever said we won’t have the VIP here, nothing at all about the rest of the client. Three people have said it, and no one has been able to provide the quote. Can you?

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

I spend more a month on gems than I would a subscription but this would be a deal breaker. Anet have broken too many promises as it is.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with an optional sub, if introduces another revenue flow to the game and (if it significantly raises their profits) encourages NCSoft to greenlight more content for GW2; as long as the theoretical new content isn’t VIP-exclusive then that should be good news for all of us.

Of course, I understand the fear is that there will be VIP-exclusive content, which is a perfectly valid concern and not without precedence in other MMOs (Archeage’s land ownership comes to mind).

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

Yeah i’d be disappointed if a “VIP” feature were to be added here in the west. If they like that kind of stuff in the east thats fine but id rather things stayed the same here in the west.

Necromancer Main

Posted by: Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Let’s wait until it’s announced (I doubt it ever will) before leaping into headless sky is falling chicken mode.

Guild Leader of DVDF www.dvdf.org.uk since 2005

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

Let’s wait until it’s announced (I doubt it ever will) before leaping into headless sky is falling chicken mode.

Very true.

Necromancer Main

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

The reason I play this game is because there is no sub fee…there is no monthly ‘I WIN!’ payment to be made to make sure you have a benefit over another player. Please for the love of Dog do NOT implement a VIP system!

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

That is the actual image that was found through data mining. You can read more about the VIP benefits from here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1utx8p/data_mining_vip_membership/

Anet responded to it here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/VIP-Membership/page/5#post3474276

It doesn’t mean that some form of it won’t eventually find its way here but it’s also possible it really doesn’t make it here.

"

We just wanted to respond to the image that has been data-mined from the Edge of the Mists testing branch.

This is a testing branch. We conduct internal experiments for various territories on our testing branches. This particular experiment is not being tested for the West.

As always, keep in mind that we test a lot more than we ship, so data-mining is no guarantee of anything. If we have announcements to make about future content, we’ll make them through the usual official channels."

Political doublespeak to hide an obvious lie. Anet really can’t be trusted anymore. It’s for the $$$$$, it’s coming despite ambiguous CMA responses like linked and quoted.

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

I absolutely cannot wait for something like this to be put in game (and come on, you know theyre going to sooner or later). The amount of tears from people who still have no idea that running a mmo costs money (who wouldnt want to work a full time job without getting a salary to make people on the internet happy!) would be priceless.

Except that they did this model better without a gem store for the past ten years in GW1.
Nice try though.

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

we test a lot more than we ship

This had me laughing.

Duty is heavier than death.

Posted by: Tallybunny.4782

Tallybunny.4782

I did recognize the political doublespeak, which is why I’m worried this might become a reality.

Now, I fully understand different people enjoy different types of experiences, and that’s fine.

If a VIP system floats your boat, more power to you.

To me, however, it would break the fundamentals on which I was brought to this game two years ago, and on which I have been enjoying it more or less on a daily basis since then.

It would no longer be the game I bought, and which I love, so it would be time to move on.

I guess it boils down to a matter of principle.

(edited by Tallybunny.4782)