500 AP for GW1 Hall of Monuments Intended?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

it is fair. those hall of monument achievements takes a lot of time to achieve.

Yes but when we were doing them we were not doing them for AP’s now were we, in fact I bet 99.99% of us didn’t even know they would impact on AP’s or that AP’s even existed in GW2.

It was the shinies (skins) that most of us were after and titles.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Yes but when we were doing them we were not doing them for AP’s now were we, in fact I bet 99% of us didn’t even know they would impact on AP’s or that AP’s even existed in GW2.

yup! the skins!
i stopped at 31/50 though.

must find time to grind the remaining 19 points.
hnngggghhhh

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

remove the achievement points leader board!

people will always complain!

Posted by: holodoc.5748

holodoc.5748

Earning a decent number of HoM points is no easy task as it requires months to reach at least 30/50. Even so with a non-existent population of players in GW1 its now almost impossible to complete some of the requirements (heroes can be of help in normal mode but doing stuff like vanquishing zones in hard mode is very hard without other players, even with specific builds like “Seven Hero Support” build).

So as a years long player of GW1 who is absolutely satisfied with having a 30/50 HoM (amount of points required for unlocking all the skins) I have to admit that I really don’t think giving any (let alone 50) points for GW2 achievements based on GW1 history was a good idea. I think that GW1 players like myself should have been rewarded only with unique skins and titles because a lot of people (and some of my friends) really enjoy competing with me through achievement points. They don’t care about leaderboards (nor do I) but how do I explain to them now that the 300 achievement points I got is something I consider fair in our competition?

Yes my view might surely kitten off some people which have multiple GWAMM accounts but I really think that giving this unfair advantage to GW1 players was a bad idea, no matter what was the reasoning behind it (marketing for sure, I guess).

(edited by holodoc.5748)

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

2k achievement points would have been more fitting.

Btw, u jelly brah?

or even more!

those 30/50 or 50/50 is not easy to achieve !!!! hnnnngggh

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Yes but when we were doing them we were not doing them for AP’s now were we, in fact I bet 99% of us didn’t even know they would impact on AP’s or that AP’s even existed in GW2.

yup! the skins!
i stopped at 31/50 though.

must find time to grind the remaining 19 points.
hnngggghhhh

I hear you I’m at 32/50 lol

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: holodoc.5748

holodoc.5748

Btw, u jelly brah?

or even more!

And they all contributed to GW1 achievements which resulted in titles. HoM was just a way to easily follow game progression in GW1 but people started looking at it as something which was supposed to guarantee them a better start in GW2.

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Btw, u jelly brah?

or even more!

And they all contributed to GW1 achievements which resulted in titles. HoM was just a way to easily follow game progression in GW1 but people started looking at it as something which was supposed to guarantee them a better start in GW2.

lul better start. them rewards are just some fancy skins and titles!

well, unless their “better start” means better looking armor then yeah … better start.

i still remember how “fugly” some of the starting armors are.
well, for me, that is.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

If you really cared about “being competitive” on Achievement leaderboards you’d do whatever it takes.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

If you really cared about “being competitive” on Achievement leaderboards you’d do whatever it takes.

hmmm yes, this too.

perhaps those people want to be competitive but refuse to put in those extra effort?

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

As someone with about 40+ HoM points, I guess I can’t complain about getting a massive boost in AP. I do understand why people who didn’t play GW1 are feeling left out though. Still, the option is still there to return to GW1 and gain points. Think of it as more incentive to get your Fiery Dragon Sword or Black Widow pet.

Posted by: LFk.1408

LFk.1408

As someone who did not play GW1, this knocked me from position ~75-85 to 130+.

I don’t mind.

In fact, I thought a lot of these achievements were undervalued. I only hope that ANet also adjusts the AP for other comparably worthwhile achievements accordingly, most notably the WvW lines and certain PvE ones that may take a long time to obtain, such as Legendary Collector.

I really enjoy the concept of a legacy, and really thought only select few components were worthwhile from GW1 (Fiery Dragon Sword, GWAMM title). This at least sweetens the pot a little.

The rest of you that are in my position, take a step back and look at the big picture.
Every 2 weeks it seems, there’s a new series of meta achievements worth ~200 AP. Dailies contribute a potential 15 AP/day, and there are ever more achievements added to the game. If you don’t go for the argument that a legacy from GW1 is worth between 50-500 AP, then at least know that this will eventually become just a blip.

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

You know, I didn’t notice this at all. I saw my last unfinished HoM achievement staring me in the face when I opened my achievement panel. When I saw that it was worth 50 points I thought to myself…“maybe I should go back and finish that.”

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

As someone who did not play GW1, this knocked me from position ~75-85 to 130+.

I don’t mind.

In fact, I thought a lot of these achievements were undervalued. I only hope that ANet also adjusts the AP for other comparably worthwhile achievements accordingly, most notably the WvW lines and certain PvE ones that may take a long time to obtain, such as Legendary Collector.

I really enjoy the concept of a legacy, and really thought only select few components were worthwhile from GW1 (Fiery Dragon Sword, GWAMM title). This at least sweetens the pot a little.

The rest of you that are in my position, take a step back and look at the big picture.
Every 2 weeks it seems, there’s a new series of meta achievements worth ~200 AP. Dailies contribute a potential 15 AP/day, and there are ever more achievements added to the game. If you don’t go for the argument that a legacy from GW1 is worth between 50-500 AP, then at least know that this will eventually become just a blip.

I agree with your entire post. I am a person who has 50/50 and let me tell you.. the time, effort, and in game money that it takes to achieve 50/50 is enough to make someone go insane.

I’m glad they boosted up the achievement point value for these achievements (and yes, I’m almost positive they were intended to be bumped up… you can’t just “accidentally” bump up an entire category of achievements).

My guess is that more will be revamped and award more in the future (such as legendaries awarding more than 5 achievement points). But as far as HoM goes, I am almost positive it was intended and will likely stay.

HoM not only rewards veteran players with some extra goodies (and now an appropriate achievement point reward) but they also encourage new players to jump into GW1 every now and then to get those achievements if they desire them.

TehPwnerer.7215

Nop , not too much rewards , i played GW1 for seven years and I am now rewarded accordingly. You want it ? do the same , buy Gw1 and earn your titles period.

Play Guild Wars 1 to rank in Guild Wars 2… No thank you and i shouldn’t have too. This is a giant middle finger to anyone who wants to be AP competitive on Guild Wars 2 but has not played the previous game.

AP competitive? Are you joking? They’re ACHIEVEMENT POINTS.

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

I’m glad they boosted up the achievement point value for these achievements (and yes, I’m almost positive they were intended to be bumped up… you can’t just “accidentally” bump up an entire category of achievements).

I don’t know much about writing and editing code, but these types of things do happen accidentally. Anet was mucking around with the achievement panel’s code, maybe someone edited a value that they shouldn’t have.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

TehPwnerer.7215

how do you expect new players to be AP competitive ? How about the players who will buy the game in 2 years ?? when you are late to the party you are late …..thank you.

Difference is those AP’s were received in Guild Wars 2, you know the game were playing not in a different game you have to pay for. Guild Wars 2 AP Highscores should in no way be influenced by anything other then achievements received within Guild Wars 2.

Hall of Monuments players already earn unique titles, skins and if your a ranger pets which is enough.

You keep saying “which is enough”… GW1 HoM achievements make farming for a legendary in this game look like a cake walk. It took me upwards of a couple years to earn 50/50 and I still don’t have GWAMM yet (a few titles away – just finished another the other night).

Just because you didn’t do something doesn’t mean it’s not worth what the Devs made it with simply because you didn’t get it.

Posted by: Ruith.5861

Ruith.5861

Before this change I was around rank 30 in EU. After it I’m more like rank 50. Why? Because apparently doing things in another game is relevant to this game. I played GW1 and supported Anet by buying that game and expansions – I just did not play it as long as some people. I would prefer there to be absolutely no achievement points based on GW1 – period.

It is a different game. Why do they want AP hunters to log off GW2 and go play GW1 again? Because at this rate, when I have nothing else to do as is often the case… I will go and play that game where Gems are not on offer… thereby I shall not be paying Anet any more… it is totally illogical from a business model point of view.

I started from the beginning in GW2 – we already have to put up with that arrogant “God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals” title that spams the screen everywhere you look… for heaven’s sake why now this extra link in the form of Achievement Points?

If I had known in advance that a player’s time spent in another game was going to be relevant to ranking in this game I would not have tried so hard to get to the top… this is a real kick in the teeth to the really hardcore AP hunters out there who just didn’t play GW1 enough to get that totally unfair whack of APs.

The strong ill-feeling that this has generated is in no way warranted by the “happy feeling” that may be gained by players who gain lots of APs from this update.

If you agree with any of this, please add your views below and support a call to have the GW1 Achievement Point change revoked asap.

TehPwnerer.7215

I don’t know much about writing and editing code, but these types of things do happen accidentally. Anet was mucking around with the achievement panel’s code, maybe someone edited a value that they shouldn’t have.

I am actually a game programmer. Generally if something is accidentally bumped up by that much, it gets fixed within hours. Considering they’ve done hot fixes and other builds since the patch, I am assuming they did this to reward loyal players.

Yes it could be accidental, but that to me seems very unlikely. People in my guild were excited to see us rewarded for our GW1 efforts – which, again, make GW2 legendary acquisition look like a child’s tea party.

Ruith.5861

What amazes me, is there are people who actually think their position on the leaderboard is important to everyone else. If you want to see who is looking at your position on the leaderboard. Look in a mirror. You will see the only one who cares.

What amazes me is that you do not appreciate how many people you are referring to. It is the very large number of people who are really unhappy about this change that makes it important… maybe not “to everyone else” but to that group of people.

Ruith.5861

It most certainly is not fair. Those achievements you refer to took place in another game. Most of us bought Eye of the North, thereby supporting Anet in the process, regardless of whether we would get 5 or 50 HoM points. For nearly a year, HoM Achievement Points in GW2 have been at a relatively low level, appropriately so. Now, many people have stopped playing GW1 and moved to GW2. If you want to go back to GW1 and get the extra HoM points, you are going to have a very hard time doing so in some respects, and in the process you will be ignoring your GW2 Guild, and the GW2 community.

It is entirely counter to the philosophy of GW2 in my opinion – that we should be playing together, not wanting to split up and play old games away from our new friends.

Normally Anet gets things right, and I congratulate them on a fantastic game. But sometimes they get it wrong. Crab Toss daily, and now this HoM AP explosion… both are examples of Anet getting it wrong.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

but 500 achievement points seems a lot to be rewarded for gaining achievements that aren’t even in this game.

Care to link us your HOM score then if you think it’s too easy?
http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=welcome

There it is, don’t be shy!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Just want to cast my vote. I don’t think they got it wrong. And I think there will be just as much of a firestorm if they revert the scores now.

What about the people that tried hard to make it to the top 100, and finally made it when they were rewarded for their 1000s of hours work filling the HoMs? Is it fair to shove them off the top of the list?

If there is a solution, it surely isn’t taking points away now.

Ruith.5861

guess its time to play some gw1 and finish a few more up. Instead of QQ ing mommy someone got more achievement points than me. It’s not fair. stamp foot.

That’s all the majority of the people are seeing from all the whining about this. It’s a freaking sequel, if you don’t know what that means, look it up.

It’s a sequel to a game that did not have Achievement Points. The Achievement Point system was new to this game, GW2. Many competitive players rightly expected to be able to concentrate on one new game rather than two if they wished to compete against each other in some way.

If so many Achievement Points are to be linked to GW1 then so should PvP ranking.

What a stupid concept…

Ruith.5861

but 500 achievement points seems a lot to be rewarded for gaining achievements that aren’t even in this game.

It’s not about whether it’s easy or not… it’s not this game. End of story.

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

I noticed the serious increase in points earlier today as well. xD I always thought they deserved a bit more points, but I dunno. At the same time they boded that it was all just for the rewards and not entirely the points. /shrug

I need to finish up the last little bit of mine but for some reason GW1 will never load for me anymore since I reinstalled. I guess time is telling me not to bother. lol

TehPwnerer.7215

Not gonna read through 2 pages of this. I posted in the other thread, I’ll post exactly what I put in here as well.

The amount of time to get 30/50 or 50/50 + GWAMM would make the work it takes to get a legendary in GW2 look like a children’s tea party.

The people in my guild were ecstatic to see the GW1 vets get a substantial boost to points by playing the first game – even if they hadn’t. As someone who DID play GW1, I can say I am happy with the change,

Also consider that if they do go back on it, there’d be even more community outcry than there is now. “Other people have nice things! RABBLE RABBLE THAT’S NOT FAIR TO ME” threads would turn into “Anet WHY YOU HATE GW1 VETS WE SUPPORTED YOU RABBLE RABBLE” ones.

The people who supported Guild Wars getting a sequel and supported ArenaNet previously got a little reward for their time and effort. Hey, go pick up GW1 if you want the 500 extra points. I’d love to see more players in that game anyway.

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

I went from being in the 60s rank on the leaderboard achievements to the 90s. Exciting. :/

TehPwnerer.7215

I went from being in the 60s rank on the leaderboard achievements to the 90s. Exciting. :/

And how is your IRL or GW2 life changed in any way from that? What does being in a certain spot on an achievement leaderboard get you?

Ruith.5861

Just want to cast my vote. I don’t think they got it wrong. And I think there will be just as much of a firestorm if they revert the scores now.

What about the people that tried hard to make it to the top 100, and finally made it when they were rewarded for their 1000s of hours work filling the HoMs? Is it fair to shove them off the top of the list?

Wrong my friend, sorry but you are wrong. You dedicated those many hours to a different game, and when the Eye of the North was released, many of those categories were already filled out for you. We all paid our money for that old game, yet not all of us spent so long on it. That’s all.

Now there is a new game… GW2.

Changing this bad move would do what? It would return things to how they were just a couple of days ago, as though there had been a glitch or a mistake.

We have spent the past 10 or so months with the Achievement Points for HoM as they used to be, and now you expect us to think that after a day of experiencing elevated ranking for something they did not do in this game, they will be more upset than those who have just been kicked in the teeth? I think not…

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

And how is your IRL or GW2 life changed in any way from that? What does being in a certain spot on an achievement leaderboard get you?

I could turn that same logic around on you and ask you how having less achievements points would change your IRL or GW2 life.

This is not Guild Wars 1. This is Guild Wars 2. This makes a huge difference in the leaderboards.

TehPwnerer.7215

Wrong my friend, sorry but you are wrong. You dedicated those many hours to a different game, and when the Eye of the North was released, many of those categories were already filled out for you. We all paid our money for that old game, yet not all of us spent so long on it. That’s all.

Changing this bad move would do what? It would return things to how they were just a couple of days ago, as though there had been a glitch or a mistake.

We have spent the past 10 or so months with the Achievement Points for HoM as they used to be, and now you expect us to think that after a day of experiencing elevated ranking for something they did not do in this game, they will be more upset than those who have just been kicked in the teeth? I think not…

As I posted in another thread. What does being any spot on an ACHIEVEMENT leaderboard do for you? Nothing. People weren’t complaining when HoM gave 20 points (or 50 or whatever) but now all of a sudden they’re worth more and NOW you complain?

They’re achievements. The people who got them have more than earned them.

Ruith.5861

People place meaning on different things.. it’s all part of life. You let people feel how they want to feel and you don’t tell them how to feel. If this guy feels upset about the change, he’s entitled to do so. He is not irrational… and if you fail to see how that change could upset somebody then you probably don’t understand things like football leagues, tennis rankings, and any other form of ranking system that has meaning to some group of people… this is an artificially inserted jolt to the system that came without any warning.

And on the contrary, if what you say is true, then there should be no problem in reverting the change because it is a different game anyway, and those who just benefited should not really care either… should they?

Posted by: r z.7261

r z.7261

The amount of drama this change has caused is just more proof that GW2 is nothing but an AP grind.

Ruith.5861

As I posted in another thread. What does being any spot on an ACHIEVEMENT leaderboard do for you? Nothing. People weren’t complaining when HoM gave 20 points (or 50 or whatever) but now all of a sudden they’re worth more and NOW you complain?

They’re achievements. The people who got them have more than earned them.

Please take the time to read my other posts, and those of others who are unhappy. You will no doubt find some shred of argument to raise but it does not detract from the fact that GW2 is a different game. APs did not exist in GW1, and HoM APs have been constant for about 10 months. This has really upset the status quo and makes the whole “God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals” title even more arrogant and hated.

TehPwnerer.7215

The way I see it, it’s a good boost to rewarding player loyalty. I went through the hell that HoM is – I’ve earned anything they throw on as a tacked reward for HoM. I was fine with it before, I’m fine with it now.

All of a sudden, watch the Achievement Leaderboards be removed. Suddenly player loyalty isn’t an issue because it won’t affect the “super uber 1337 achievement hunt3rz”.

These “issues” are only being brought up because someone else got rewarded for something that they worked kitten, that the players who didn’t earn didn’t get.

These two threads (yeah, only two) are nothing more than entitled children stomping around that they didn’t get a cherry flavored lollypop.

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

The only reason there is a GW2 is because of all those amazing people that played the kitten out of GW1.

And another thing; GW2 achievement points are infinite. It’s not a finite number that players can reach. Then those players with the GW1 achievements will get an extra 500 to make their point total unreachable. It is reachable. Get over it.

… I still want tengu.

TehPwnerer.7215

The only reason there is a GW2 is because of all those amazing people that played the kitten out of GW1.

And another thing; GW2 achievement points are infinite. It’s not a finite number that players can reach. Then those players with the GW1 achievements will get an extra 500 to make their point total unreachable. It is reachable. Get over it.

Agreed. Please post this in the other thread too so maybe the achievement point leaderboard whiners can get over it and move on.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Hall-of-Monuments-Achievement-Points-Change/page/2#post2381841

The thread.

TehPwnerer.7215

Guild Wars 1 was much harder than GW2. Demanded so much more time and effort (and money) to get anything remarkable done. You should stop being jealous of them and either do it yourself or move on.

Achievement points are infinite. If you want to be #1 on the leaderboards for achievement points, then you should work towards it. The HoM (AKA – Loyal Anet and GW players) got a 500 point boost.. Big deal. If you’re that dedicated to be higher on the leaderboard just work harder – it still won’t be anywhere as hard as GW1 players worked to earn 50/50 or GWAMM.

TehPwnerer.7215

I’m also not sure how a measly 500 point ACHIEVEMENT POINT (NOTICE I SAID THE WORDS – ACHIEVEMENT POINTS – NOTHING SIGNIFICANT TO GAMEPLAY OR PLAYER ABILITY) boost is considered arrogant. The work the players put into GW1 to achieve 50/50 (to get 500 points) took THOUSANDS of hours!

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

500 points looks like a lot but it translate to what… an extra chest?

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

It’s not about whether it’s easy or not… it’s not this game. End of story.

You don’t get to tell us when it’s the End of Story….

…Mainly b/c this is Guildwars Utopia retitled and they stopped updating the BETTER previous chapters to bring this expansion that lets ppl jump and dodge and farm COF again basically.

We get to keep our Achievement points, End of Story

TehPwnerer.7215

500 points looks like a lot but it translate to what… an extra chest?

That’s not even what they’re QQing about. They’re upset that they got bumped down by others on the achievement leaderboard.

Not to mention, HOM points weren’t the only things that got a boost. But hey, HoM can’t be done in GW2 so target them as the cause of being bumped down.

Posted by: Tranc.6780

Tranc.6780

Given the number of years many of us put into GW1, as opposed to the 1 year GW2 has been out, fair would be to make the HoM worth 50,000 points instead of a measly 500 ;-)

TehPwnerer.7215

Given the number of years many of us put into GW1, as opposed to the 1 year GW2 has been out, fair would be to make the HoM worth 50,000 points instead of a measly 500 ;-)

Agreed. I mean I could care less since they’re achievement points and affect nothing, but given the amount of work we did to get 50/50 I would not turn away anything extra.

Posted by: Blackhearted.1264

Blackhearted.1264

All this is is just a bunch of “waaahhh someone has something i don’t! I don’t want to get it for myself so please remove it from them instead!”.

If you have time to get to 9-10k+, you have time to get these hom points yourself. If you don’t want to do that then shut up and face the fact that your worthless achievement score(and yes, it IS a completely worthless number in the end) will never be the #1.

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

Anet’s not going to listen to this kitten anyways. Just let it fade.

… I still want tengu.

TehPwnerer.7215

Anet’s not going to listen to this kitten anyways. Just let it fade.

Agreed. Lol good idea.

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Like I posted in the other thread, I’m going to say the same thing here.

Before the HoM rewarded 500 points, it awarded 50 points. So when you had 10,000 achievement points, the GW1 player had 10,050 points. So they were still ahead of you no matter what.

But did anyone complain? No. Was there a bunch of QQ about it? No there wasn’t. No one cared. Again, no one cared at all. It didn’t matter at all that people with GW1 were still 50 points ahead of those who never played GW1.

But now all the sudden, everyone is up in a tizzy over the exact same thing. Now that you have 10,000 achievement points and the GW1 player has 10,500 achievement points, it is all the sudden a massively big deal. Why? It’s the same thing that has been happening before, and no one complained at all. So why is everyone complaining now about the same thing?

This is absolutely ridiculous that people are now complaining about something that has been going on for a long time. Before it was perfectly fine for GW1 players to be ahead, and now all the sudden it’s unfair for GW1 players to be ahead? Makes no sense.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Problem: The leader boards, not the HoM achievements. People only started making a big deal about achievement points in the last week or so because they knew things were going to change and we’d get real rewards from them.

All of these complaints come from people who think everyone else in the game should care about their place on the leader boards.

Solution: Remove the pve leaderboard, or at the very least make it so it’s friends only.

Problem: solved!